New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the Grace of the Emperor

+++Contact Affirmed ~ Details Saved ~ Regard Servitors ~ Non Standard Works ~ Meet at Point Secure+++

Nixios will make a couple more attempts on the way back to the meeting spot maintaining the same protocols.

Spoiler
    Show

Tech Use +10 (INT 40) (d100)[62]

Tech Use +10 (INT 40) (d100)[85]

Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Wormwood noticed his communicator ping. He turned to his companions.

"Ok, w-we're gonna m-m-meet up with our t-t-tech-p-priest. If an...anyone asks, D-draven, you're our g-g-guide."

With that, he began to make his way to the location Nixios designated.

@Leon
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dice gods are not with you today. In fact, I don't think they've been with you from the get-go.

3. - Top - End - #213

Quote Originally Posted by Astro_sol View Post
    @Leon
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dice gods are not with you today. In fact, I don't think they've been with you from the get-go.
    They never are (at least most of the time)
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Delta-Rho makes a couple more attempts at data theft, but the security systems defy his best efforts. At his second attempt, luck (or lack thereof) wills it that as an alarm goes off - an annoying *breep-breep-breep* from the terminal he's accessing, one of the station security staff is just rounding a corner.

He firmly, but politely, informs you that these systems are off limits to guests of the hotel. His hand rests on the stock of the heavy caliber weapon slung on his back - a type you guess (or hope) to be of the variety dubbed 'technically non-lethal.'

Delta-Rho:

Spoiler
    Show

It is your assesment that any further attempts should propably be made not from a peripheral, but from the main datacore itself.

You meet at ++++ Point Secure ++++ and I wonder exactly where that might be?

Stig and Wormwood:

Spoiler
    Show

Hald Draven ponders something, then tells you:

'You know, if we could get access to the logs of Far Voyager - deGrassis ship - that might help. It's on that ship that they generally take the nobles and what not on the expeditions. Of course some prefer their own vessels, but most go on the Far Voyager.'
    Last edited by Zen Master; 2012-06-21 at 03:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos
    You meet at ++++ Point Secure ++++ and I wonder exactly where that might be?
    Good question. Let's say...my quarters!

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos
    Stig and Wormwood:

Spoiler
    Show

'You know, if we could get access to the logs of Far Voyager - deGrassis ship - that might help. It's on that ship that they generally take the nobles and what not on the expeditions. Of course some prefer their own vessels, but most go on the Far Voyager.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    "G-good idea. W-w-which d-dock is it in, a...and w-what s-s-sort of s-security does he h...h...have?"

6. - Top - End - #216

That was the plan
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

"Mr. Draven, what can you tell us about that ship? Crew size, armament, history? I would prefer not to go in blind."

Let it never be said that Stig was not appropriately paranoid.

@Leon
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would suggest more sacrifices of virgins. Seems to work well for me. Or offer something up for the dark gods.
    Cthulu devours.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knives91 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

"Mr. Draven, what can you tell us about that ship? Crew size, armament, history? I would prefer not to go in blind."

Let it never be said that Stig was not appropriately paranoid.

@Leon
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would suggest more sacrifices of virgins. Seems to work well for me. Or offer something up for the dark gods.
    Cthulu devours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    That was the plan

Spoiler
    Show
    "G-good idea. W-w-which d-dock is it in, a...and w-what s-s-sort of s-security does he h...h...have?"
    You retire to the safety of your suite. Here, Hald Draven gives you some further insight.

About the Far Voyager, he informs you that it's a sizeable yacht, equipped to cater to the very rich. For the same reason, it's well armed and armored, easily the match for a moderate sized military gunboat. It isn't berthed at the station, however, but rides at anchor so to speak - in orbit a short distance from the station. The station has a shuttle to take passengers there. Your own might also serve.

Aboard are a number of guard of a run-of-the-mill variety - he guesses around six men. In addition to these, there will be a navigator, a first mate, a stweard and various non-ranking crew, like cook and deckhand.

He points out that the first mate, steward and navigator may have some combat ability of their own. In addition, of course, deGrassi might be aboard - and at least according to his own stories, he's quite formidable.

9. - Top - End - #219

Daemon

Wormwood bites his lip.

"W-well, we c-c-could just go b-by shuttle and ask t-t-to sp...speak to d-deGrassi. Say w-we're interested in him b-b-b-eing our g-guide. Or w-we could s-sneak aboard. I'm n-not s-sure how we c-c-could get in und-d-detected, th...though."

He thought for a moment.

"D-d-do they have a sh-shuttle we c-could s...steal? We c-could use ours, b-but it m-may look susp-picious..."
    Last edited by Astro_sol; 2012-06-22 at 10:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220

+++The console security is rather tight and not my area of skill but i did pick up some data on details for the that have vanished as well as the possibility that some malign influence effects the stations servitors+++

Nixios hands over his Data pad with the details for people to look at.

+++I was interrupted on my last try by a guard so i wont make anymore attempts from remote sites but if i could have access to the central data banks i may be able to extract more if given time. I will also look into the possibility of encrypting our Comms for further chat security beyond the basic settings+++
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Wormwood bites his lip.

"W-well, we c-c-could just go b-by shuttle and ask t-t-to sp...speak to d-deGrassi. Say w-we're interested in him b-b-b-eing our g-guide. Or w-we could s-sneak aboard. I'm n-not s-sure how we c-c-could get in und-d-detected, th...though."

He thought for a moment.

"D-d-do they have a sh-shuttle we c-could s...steal? We c-could use ours, b-but it m-may look susp-picious..."
    At the present, deGrassi is still in the topside restaurant.

Your own shuttle would of course suffice - otherwise, as stated, the station has one on hand for that very purpose.

Depending on whether anyone finds out you did it, stealing a shuttle may be remarkably more suspicious than using your own.

+++The console security is rather tight and not my area of skill but i did pick up some data on details for the that have vanished as well as the possibility that some malign influence effects the stations servitors+++

Nixios hands over his Data pad with the details for people to look at.

+++I was interrupted on my last try by a guard so i wont make anymore attempts from remote sites but if i could have access to the central data banks i may be able to extract more if given time. I will also look into the possibility of encrypting our Comms for further chat security beyond the basic settings+++
    Delta:
    Spoiler
    Show

That all-areas access card could get you into the data core - of course. Since it's an area, and you have access to all of them.

Gimme some tech-use rolls for comms encryption. Whatever transportation you chose to deGrassis ship, you can also make a tech-use roll to make a stealthy approach.

12. - Top - End - #222

Spoiler
    Show

Encrypt Micro Bead
    Tech Use +10 (INT 40) (d100)[20]

A Casual Saunter into the Data Core to extract as much useful data as possible
    Tech Use +10 (INT 40) (d100)[89]

Stealthy Flying in whatever we use
    Tech Use +10 (INT 40) (d100)[36]

Yay
    Crap
    Yay
    Last edited by Leon; 2012-06-22 at 12:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Encrypt Micro Bead
    Tech Use +10 (INT 40) [roll0]

A Casual Saunter into the Data Core to extract as much useful data as possible
    Tech Use +10 (INT 40) [roll1]

Stealthy Flying in whatever we use
    Tech Use +10 (INT 40) [roll2]

Yay
    Crap
    Yay
    Results of your courageous dice-wrestlings will follow, soon as I know what ship you plan on taking.

14. - Top - End - #224

Daemon

I'll just settle for ours. Too paranoid to use the station's.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll just settle for ours. Too paranoid to use the station's.

"It would likely be wise to simply use our own shuttle. No need to have an overly complicated plan. Simple is best."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

You decide your own craft is less conspicuous than stealing the stations own shuttle. Which is likely good thinking, because with all the detachment of fuel and power lines, switching to internal life support and so on, it really would be rather hard to get away with unnoticed.

Even so, there is an awkward moment when you pass the reception, and the kind lady stationed there inquires as to whether you are leaving and want your account settled.

Eventually, you lamely state that you're just "taking her out for a spin."

At any rate, soon enough embarkation procedures are completed. With your own tech priest on hand, getting the cooperation of the machine spirits is merely a matter of a few incantations and appeasements.

The Far Voyager is close by, and frankly you have little clue as to exactly what you're doing. Approaching stealthily - sure. Well, only time will tell how well that worked.

Delta-Rho:

Spoiler
    Show

Encrypting the microbead is a simple matter. You deftly switch the frequency out of the ranges normally available to the uninitiated, and add an extra bit of binary encryption. Only an enginseer or other tech savant could listen in now.

Your pass gets you into the central data core in the station. More so, you get in and out unseen - since most of the crew is still at dinner topside.

You are unable to breach it's security however, and cannot get access to secure files. However, in the equivalent of the trash bin - the +++REJECDATA CACHE+++ or some such - you find the following:

We need to keep taps on these crazy zealots. Sure they are useful, and sure they think they see the face of the emperor gazing down upon them - but suppose they ever take a minute to examine what's really there? We could be in big trouble.

I need to talk to deGrassi.

It seems to a bit of text deleted from a logbook - then not permanently deleted, but left in a cache file for you to discover.

Finally, on board your shuttle, you set about reducing various emissions - heat, light, radio and so on. To your surprise, you find that this shuttle is actually already fairly low profile.

17. - Top - End - #227

+++We are now free to talk without worry on microbead+++

+++
    We need to keep taps on these crazy zealots. Sure they are useful, and sure they think they see the face of the emperor gazing down upon them - but suppose they ever take a minute to examine what's really there? We could be in big trouble.
    I need to talk to deGrassi.
    I'm no Transmechanic thats for sure. The computer hacking is not been going well but i found that in a cache that was unsecured
    +++

+++
    Getting close to the ship is one thing but what are we going to do once there - only so many ways on to a ship from a shuttle and i don't fancy a space walk
    +++
    Last edited by Leon; 2012-06-24 at 12:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

I have this disturbing habit of knowing exactly what I intend to write - and then not doing it.

The above entry was meant - mentally - to include this:

By visual direction alone, you approach - sliding your little shuttle sneakily under the belly of the much larger yacht. By the gentlest of thruster blasts, you manouvre into position, creep up to a likely looking service hatch.

Like the touch of a secret lover, you latch on. Extend umbilical.

You are ready to enter. Did it work? Are you undetected? You do not know. All you know is that the other ship has made no attempt to hail you.

19. - Top - End - #229

Daemon

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the wait, internet has been extra crappy lately.

Wormwood notes Nixios' findings. Religious zealots? Could they be referring to Gaol? Remembering his own findings of Gaol possibly leading to the Naval base somewhere in the system, he relays this information to the rest of the team.

Upon arriving, he turns to Stig.

"C-c-care to t-take p-point?"

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

As indicated, you are at the service hatch. It has double twist-and-pull handles. It may be locked (though I'll kill the suspense and admit that it isn't).

It feels like it's staring at you. Ominously, mayhaps. Perhaps there is a silent warning in its ... silence. Behind it awaits - well, now, I can't tell you that, now can I?

I'll need to know what you do, what order you move in, and what you have in your hands.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the wait, internet has been extra crappy lately.

Wormwood notes Nixios' findings. Religious zealots? Could they be referring to Gaol? Remembering his own findings of Gaol possibly leading to the Naval base somewhere in the system, he relays this information to the rest of the team.

Upon arriving, he turns to Stig.

"C-c-care to t-take p-point?"
    Stig chuckles as he unslings his lasgun.
    "With pleasure. Grab one of the handles, Nixos the other. Pull it open and I'll move in."

22. - Top - End - #232

Daemon

Wormwood will go behind Stig. He's holding his wiza...I mean, his psyker staff. His other hand is on the hilt of his pistol, underneath his robes.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

I imagine it goes somewhat like this:

Wormwood and Delta-Rho grab a handle each. Delta - at lowest audio output setting - intones:

+++ STAND BY - OPEN ON MY MARK: ONE - TWO - TH...+++
    'W-w-wait' interrupts Wormwood, 'is it ... on three, or three, and then go?'
    *static*
    +++ ON MARK! ONE - TWO - THREE - MARK! +++
    *yank*

Stig dives into the room beyond, which is dark - lit only very sparsely from behind, by the light falling through the entrance. Weapon at the ready, he scans what little he can see: Halfhidden shelves and barrels, outlines of tools and supplies ... a red light winks, then two-dimensional planes of light scan the room - left to right, and top to bottom. Sensors flick on, bathing the room in general and Stig specifically in ominous red light.

+++ UNIDENTIFIED ORGANIC DETECTED - REQUESTING PROTOCOLS +++

I need initiatives and desired actions from everyone.

24. - Top - End - #234

Daemon

"****!"

Wormwood draws his gun in a panic, still in the shuttle and slightly behind the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling dat initiative. Accounting for paranoia and agility bonus, should get a +5. Thus...
    (1d10+5)[6]

...Faaaaaaaaail.
    Last edited by Astro_sol; 2012-06-26 at 05:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
    I imagine it goes somewhat like this:

Wormwood and Delta-Rho grab a handle each. Delta - at lowest audio output setting - intones:

+++ STAND BY - OPEN ON MY MARK: ONE - TWO - TH...+++
    'W-w-wait' interrupts Wormwood, 'is it ... on three, or three, and then go?'
    *static*
    +++ ON MARK! ONE - TWO - THREE - MARK! +++
    *yank*

Stig dives into the room beyond, which is dark - lit only very sparsely from behind, by the light falling through the entrance. Weapon at the ready, he scans what little he can see: Halfhidden shelves and barrels, outlines of tools and supplies ... a red light winks, then two-dimensional planes of light scan the room - left to right, and top to bottom. Sensors flick on, bathing the room in general and Stig specifically in ominous red light.

+++ UNIDENTIFIED ORGANIC DETECTED - REQUESTING PROTOCOLS +++

I need initiatives and desired actions from everyone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Intiative roll here we come. Got plus 3 for my agility bonus (Despite having just rolled like Link from Legend o' Zelda).
    (1d10+3)[6]

Diving for the nearest available cover, Stig barks out a resonse.
    "Guardsman Stig, of His Imperial Majesties Imperial Guard!"

All the while praying that it doesn't have a very large turret pointed in his direction.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Btw, I should like at least one tech use test (hard) from Delta-Rho.

27. - Top - End - #237

Tech Use +10 (40 INT) (d100)[25] (-20 hard)

+++Static Noise*+++

*Binary code containing appropriate data
    Last edited by Leon; 2012-06-27 at 05:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Tech Use +10 (40 INT) [roll0] (-20 hard)

+++Static Noise*+++

*Binary code containing appropriate data
    Um - yea, thanks. I did also require initiative and desired actions?

However, Delta-Rho:

Spoiler
    Show

Well, the obvious doesn't require a hard test. So you get that regardless:

What is in the next room, by your best guess, has to be some sort of combat servitor. That much you deduce easily from the binary chatter it's also running off.

Requesting protocols makes you think this unit is actually in storage - not on sentry - and actually doesn't really know what to do. Yet.

29. - Top - End - #239

(d10+3)[11]

Cover Stig with Laspistol and provide technical support
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok - I took the liberty of rolling a perception roll for Stig ... which he passed. This is what the big guardsman sees, and can relay to the rest of you:

You have entered a storage area. The hatch opens into the floor of a transit area that runs the length of the room, marked in yellow stripes to indicate the danger of moving machinery. To either side of this area are shelves packed with various supplies: Crates of food and barrels of water, various types of fuel, infla-tents, perimeter wire, rope and shovels and ... lots of stuff.

Among the shelves are two servitors, currently offline.

At the far end of the marked area is another servitor. It's lobster-like carapace gleams in the red light of it's sensors, and frankly it looks extremely menacing. It's upper right appendage-mount holds a twin-mounted autogun, from which a red dot laser sight is trained on Stig. It's upper left mount sports a long, lance-like thing the nature of which is not readily apparent - it does however have 'weapon' inscribed in every detail of its design.

The two lower appendage-mounts sport autodendrites of unfathomable function - thought one might fear they were melee-oriented.

Despite all it's alert and ready pose and active sensors, it - currently - doesn't attack. It does however give of a constant binary chatter. Let me be clear: It has the jump on you, but is not currently firing. Whether you consider that state of affairs likely to last is of course up to your own council.

Combat rounds.

Initiative order:

Combat servitor (unknown make and model) has surprise - but defaults.

Delta-Rho acts on 11
    Stig acts on 6
    Wormwood acts on 6

EDIT: Oh btw - tomorrow around noon I drive off for my holidays. I will be online when I can, but that may be erratic. We're going to Tunisia, and I've no idea how their internet is =)
    Last edited by Zen Master; 2012-06-29 at 08:15 AM.