New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default [PF] Seeing the Writing in the Walls: A Cryptic Handbook

Hello, I've newly joined this forum and would like to share with you the Cryptic Handbook I have been working on.

The handbook itself can be found here

Any feedback, advice, fixes or insults are very welcome.

Still on the to-do list:
    Archetypes
    Feats and Traits
    Items
    Multiclassing and Gestalt
    Fixes and Feedback
    Last edited by Gee-chan; 2015-12-31 at 07:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Seeing the Writing in the Walls: A Cryptic Handbook

Awesome, I'm really glad to see a new Cryptic handbook!

Might I request/suggest changing the color of the Cyan options to more of a Purple color? When you get around to it, the Brutal Disruptor is amazing. Eternal Tattoo can get you a decent amount of Aegis abilities or alternatively gain permanent 50% concealment from a non-illusion, non-intangibility effect. The natural attack Brutal Disruptor can deal more damage than most other things at a given level.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Some things here.

-You have to actually establish what your colors mean, rating wise. Without a key, these are all just colors, and seeing how many people use different color codes, there's no clear way to tell what is what by colors alone, making them pretty difficult to follow.

-I'd suggest including a linked table of content to help people both find what they need more easily as well as to show what your guide covers, as right now it's somewhat haphazard in that respect.

-The race section to me at least has too much Cyan (agreeing with other posters that it should be purple.) At least for me, your highest rating should be more rare than this, but that's just my personal opinion.

-The bullet pointing is an interesting way to go with this, not really good or bad to me, just a different style that I haven't seen others do.

-For the power names, I'd bold them myself, make them more easily visible.

Aside from that all, I'd say it's the start to a pretty good guide, definitely worth checking out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Awesome, I'm really glad to see a new Cryptic handbook!

Might I request/suggest changing the color of the Cyan options to more of a Purple color? When you get around to it, the Brutal Disruptor is amazing. Eternal Tattoo can get you a decent amount of Aegis abilities or alternatively gain permanent 50% concealment from a non-illusion, non-intangibility effect. The natural attack Brutal Disruptor can deal more damage than most other things at a given level.
    Cheers, I decided to do it because the old one was long-since abandoned.

I've taken your advice about colouring, so that is done.
    I'm aware Brutal Disrupter is awesome, I'm just wanting to get the Powers and such done first so the base class is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jolly View Post
    Some things here.

-You have to actually establish what your colors mean, rating wise. Without a key, these are all just colors, and seeing how many people use different color codes, there's no clear way to tell what is what by colors alone, making them pretty difficult to follow.

-I'd suggest including a linked table of content to help people both find what they need more easily as well as to show what your guide covers, as right now it's somewhat haphazard in that respect.

-The race section to me at least has too much Cyan (agreeing with other posters that it should be purple.) At least for me, your highest rating should be more rare than this, but that's just my personal opinion.

-The bullet pointing is an interesting way to go with this, not really good or bad to me, just a different style that I haven't seen others do.

-For the power names, I'd bold them myself, make them more easily visible.

Aside from that all, I'd say it's the start to a pretty good guide, definitely worth checking out.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Yeah, I'd forgotten to do a colour key and I'll be doing an index once I get around to it. Right now the formatting is all over the places because I've been wanting to get the content in before I mess around with the layout.
    That is the reason for the bullet points; it was just a way of sorting things while I got the info down to work with.

I'll look over the races again and be more harsh on the judgements. Looking over it again, though, I do see your point.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Psionic meditation has a prerequisite of 13 wisdom, which maybe ought be mentioned in the attribute section.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Psionic meditation has a prerequisite of 13 wisdom, which maybe ought be mentioned in the attribute section.
    Very good point, I had forgotten about that. I've added a note about it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

You already asked for this to be added to the guide to the guides, so IT SHALL BE SO!
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    You already asked for this to be added to the guide to the guides, so IT SHALL BE SO!
    Thanks, Nova!

Seeing as the hold guide was dead, there was no point not quickly getting this onto the index for people to peruse.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

For traits, here's a few that will help with dumping Charisma for them:

As always, Reactionary is god tier. There's also a guide for traits running around somewhere that you should look at for more stuff.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    For traits, here's a few that will help with dumping Charisma for them:

As always, Reactionary is god tier. There's also a guide for traits running around somewhere that you should look at for more stuff.
    Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, the trait guide is great and I'd already got it linked.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Lost Mind's Gaze from Beyond varies in value depending on DM adjudication and playstyle.

Most creatures have no reason to be pre-emptively averting their gaze, and you should typically be able to use it as a PbAoE with a save. Just bear in mind that if other creatures treat you that you, you're going to be expected to treat unknown enemies with gaze attacks similarly.

Beyond that, it's not clear what action, if any, is involved in gaining the gaze attack.
    If it's a non-action, and you just expend focus, then you can gaze every turn as soon as you get the ability by regaining focus as a full-round action. When you get Psionic Meditation or Essence Focus, you can also make a directed gaze as a standard action each turn.
    If it's a standard action, you'll need focus management, and you'll never be able to use the directed gaze ability.

By RAW, other creatures of the same race as you may be immune to your gaze attack. With exotic races, you'll almost never grant that benefit to enemies, and you can potentially coordinate with allies - whether choosing the same race, or taking advantage of 'counts as race' feats/effects.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Ok, so this is almost finished. Just need some advice on items and to do the multiclass section....which I suck at. If anyone with some time and the inclination could throw some ideas in the comments, that would be great.

I also added the Pattern Wielder archetype, which I had missed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

IIRC Unlocked Talent can't be taken by manifesters.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    IIRC Unlocked Talent can't be taken by manifesters.
    No, it can be taken. It just melds it into whatever manifesting class you have.