New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [d20r, Race Template] Aasimar (Good-Aligned)

Aasimar is an inherited racial class progression that can be applied to a living, corporeal, non-Outsider creature. It represents having a good-aligned Outsider in one's ancestry. Like any class, a racial class progression does not need to be taken all the way through.

Prerequisites:
    Type: Any corporeal, non-Outsider, non-Construct, non-Undead

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Mantles/Spellcasting
    1st | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Lay on Hands, Outsider | -
    2nd | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Natural Magic | +1 level of existing class[/table]

HD: d8

Skills: 4+Int, 1 set

Prowess: 4 per level.

Proficiencies: Aasimar are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. Aasimar gain no proficiencies with armor or shields.

Lay on Hands (Su): An aasimar with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (his own or those of others) by touch. Each day he can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to half his character level (round down, minimum 1) times his Charisma bonus. An aasimar may choose to divide his healing among multiple recipients, and he doesn't have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action. The caster level for Lay on Hands (if required) is equal to the aasimar's character level.

Alternatively, a good aasimar can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. The aasimar decides how many of his daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature.

If an aasimar already has the lay on hands feature (such as from taking a level of the paladin class), the abilities stack. Calculate the total points of healing from each source of lay on hands and then add them together. That total is the complete amount of lay on hands healing that can be used by that character per day.

Outsider: At 1st level, an aasimar creature's type changes to Outsider and they gain the Native and Good subtypes.

Mantles/Spellcasting: At 2nd level, an aasimar gains new mantles and increases the powers of his existing mantles as if he had also gained a level in whatever mantle-progressing class (such as a paladin) he belonged to before he added the racial class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of aasimar to the level of whatever other mantle-progressing class the character has, then determines mantles known and their power accordingly.

If a character had more than one mantle-progressing class before he became an aasimar, he must decide to which class he adds each level of aasimar.

Alternatively, at 2nd level, an aasimar gains new spells known and spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever divine spellcasting class (such as a cleric) he belonged to before he added the racial class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of aasimar to the level of whatever other divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells known, spells per day, and their power accordingly.

If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before he became an aasimar, he must decide to which class he adds each level of aasimar for the purpose of determining spells known, spells per day, and their power.

Natural Magic: An aasimar has a small pool of magical charges they may tap into daily. A aasimar has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following spell-like abilities (Caster level equals the aasimar's character level):

{table=head]Character Level | Spell-Like Abilities
    1-3 | bless, shield of faith
    4-6 | prayer
    7-9 | resist energy
    10-12 | magic vestment
    13-15 | death ward
    16-18 | lesser restoration
    19+ | heal[/table]

Should the aasimar already have Natural Magic as a racial feature (but not Inborn Psionics, Natural Talent, or a similar racial feature), they instead conjoin the two features, using one pool of charges to power both abilities. In essence, the creature adds the new spell-like abilities gained from this class to the spell-like abilities gained by race.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-02-28 at 04:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [d20r, Race Template] Aasimar (Good-Aligned)

In d20r, is there a penalty of some sort for taking a template? Like LA?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There is no mind control, citizen. Please go back to your fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    Kroy speaks the truth.
    Avatar courtesy of Shades of Grey.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sirek Inta View Post
    In d20r, is there a penalty of some sort for taking a template? Like LA?
    You lose class levels. Unlike a template, you still get HD, saves, etc. You also don't have to take the whole thing. In short, it's a racial class progression sort of deal.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

So...if a good paladin took one level of Aasimar they would get their (Paladin level + half their character level) X their CHA modifier? Potentially 29 X their CHA modifier? I don't think this would influence Good paladins over evil ones too much, since Lay On Hands isn't huge, but it is a small point to the good side.

And if this advances mantels, shouldn't the Onori advance something else? Unless you're planning on more overlap? As it is right now, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get all your various classes to have a template/class that advances them, since they only advance two different types.

Since this uses Natural Magic like the Xel'gash, I hope the Teifling will focus on Natrual Talent?

Overall, it looks solid, though rather bland.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Is it possible to gain levels in more than one racial template? For example, could I create an Onori Aasimar or even an Onori Xel'Gash if I were so inclined?

6. - Top - End - #6

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    Is it possible to gain levels in more than one racial template? For example, could I create an Onori Aasimar or even an Onori Xel'Gash if I were so inclined?
    No. I'm fairly certain it has been stated that you can only take one.
    Characters:
    None right now!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    So...if a good paladin took one level of Aasimar they would get their (Paladin level + half their character level) X their CHA modifier? Potentially 29 X their CHA modifier? I don't think this would influence Good paladins over evil ones too much, since Lay On Hands isn't huge, but it is a small point to the good side.
    Correct.

And if this advances mantels, shouldn't the Onori advance something else? Unless you're planning on more overlap? As it is right now, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get all your various classes to have a template/class that advances them, since they only advance two different types.
    They won't, for now, but as I progress through monsters I'll probably come across some other ideas for racial template ideas and go from there.

Alternatively, I may switch onori to fencer maneuvers/monk strikes.

Since this uses Natural Magic like the Xel'gash, I hope the Teifling will focus on Natrual Talent?
    They will.

Quote Originally Posted by Daracaex View Post
    No. I'm fairly certain it has been stated that you can only take one.
    Even without that, the prerequisites make it impossible: the first level of all of them makes you an Outsider, and they all have prerequisites of "Any non-Outsider".
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-02-27 at 07:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, but I just don't have all that much to say about these guys. It's pretty solid.

My only complaint is that they seem a little bland. Spicing up Natural Magic with some more interesting abilities is really the only thought I have on that front. Remove Disease and Mass Cure Light Wounds in particular seem kinda redundant, especially with the Paladin focus. Shield of Faith, Consecrate, Restoration (Greater or Lesser), Resist Energy, Shield Other, Magic Vestment, Break Enchantment, or Hallow could be some options. *shrug* I really don't know.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

That's a good idea. I'll think it over and probably swap out some of the SLAs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I agree with MammonAzrael, the Natural Magic ability doesn't have a lot of interesting options of them. Out of what they have now, though, Heal and Death Ward are at least good enough to stay.

As for alternative choices, Lesser Visage of the Deity (or something like it, if it's unusable) might be a good fit for them.
    Last edited by Belobog; 2009-02-28 at 03:39 AM.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Fax just keeps churning these out.

Fax is not human...!!!
    Fax is a homebrew golem!
    A golem desinged to overrun the world with too much awesome homebrew!

But anyway. Very nice. Seems a lot better than the MM Aasimar which I always felt was a little bland. Racial Class is also a very good alternative to LA. It actually makes them be viable options. Keep up the good work
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

This is open wo anyone, regardless of alignment right?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_Sage View Post
    This is open wo anyone, regardless of alignment right?
    Yup. There's no alignment restrictions for heredity.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Updates to Natural Magic class feature.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the update. It feels more unique now.

Only weird thing is that now I'm not going to be looking at a Lesser Aasimar when I need a good WIS/CHA bonus! Oh, how you have changed how I see this race! For the better, since now they won't been seen as the only LA +0 option to boost those stats.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Yup. There's no alignment restrictions for heredity.
    That statement alone makes aasimar soo much more interesting...think of the villians you could whip up with this......

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    That statement alone makes aasimar soo much more interesting...think of the villians you could whip up with this......
    Aasimar weren't mechanically restricted to being good in their previous incarnation, either, so that hasn't changed; It was just the usual route for them, and it looks to be the same way now. Still, I'm glad to hear that the Good subtype (or any subtype, really) doesn't pigeonhole them like I thought it would.

Also, Natural Magic does look better now. Not the choices I expected, but still, good choices.
    Last edited by Belobog; 2009-03-01 at 03:41 AM.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belobog View Post
    Still, I'm glad to hear that the Good subtype (or any subtype, really) doesn't pigeonhole them like I thought it would.
    Exactly. It's kinda hard to work someone with the Good subtype into being an evil villain, even if you can technically do it.

19. - Top - End - #19

ElfMonkGuy

Exactly. It's kinda hard to work someone with the Good subtype into being an evil villain, even if you can technically do it.
    Whoever said villains had to be evil?
    Characters:
    None right now!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I take it you missed the fact that when they become an Outsider at 1st level they gain the Good and Native subtypes?

21. - Top - End - #21

Whoever said villains had to be evil?
    The definition of the word. =p "Villain" implies evil or malicious intent. The thing you're thinking of is "antagonist," which simply means something opposing the heroes. A villain is a bad guy, an antagonist is the opposition (which could be good, or evil, or whatever.)

I like these heredity classes you're cooking up. They're nice, they add flavor and a little bit of a bonus without adding so much it's pushed beyond the bounds of simplicity. They've got a great feel to them.

22. - Top - End - #22

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magnor Criol View Post
    The definition of the word. =p "Villain" implies evil or malicious intent. The thing you're thinking of is "antagonist," which simply means something opposing the heroes. A villain is a bad guy, an antagonist is the opposition (which could be good, or evil, or whatever.)
    Oh, whatever. Everyone knows what I meant.
    Characters:
    None right now!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why is Lesser Restoration on the list immediately after Death Ward and immediately before Heal? The spell level progression goes from 5 to 2 to 9. That's weird. Wouldn't Restoration make more sense?
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    Why is Lesser Restoration on the list immediately after Death Ward and immediately before Heal? The spell level progression goes from 5 to 2 to 9. That's weird. Wouldn't Restoration make more sense?
    I thought Lesser Restoration and Death Ward were both 4th level...and Heal is definitely 5th level.

And I prefer antagonist myself. Villains are just too...villainy.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    Yeah, it probably would. I'll probably change that.

26. - Top - End - #26

Oh, whatever. Everyone knows what I meant.
    Of course they did! But I can rarely resist a chance to be a smartaleck!
    Last edited by Magnor Criol; 2009-03-02 at 09:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Belobog View Post
    And I prefer antagonist myself. Villains are just too...villainy.
    But they have the best laughs!
    Characters:
    None right now!