New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: OOTS #863 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 2323mike View Post
    I didn't notice that, and I am not sure why. I mean, he knew there are many traps in the corridor which are triggered by stepping on them, so flying some inches above ground would be a very good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    I'm gonna guess Zz'dtri has Overland Flight, but was staying grounded for cover. In the air, he's an easy target; on the ground, he's behind the mummies and Nale.
    Hmm... Haley's arrows still came toward him in the smoke before the mummies were destroyed, but if he were under the effect of an overland flight spell, that only grants average maneuverability. Average does not confer the ability to hover, so I suppose that could be a problem. Failing to move at least 20 feet forward would mean falling/landing. Still, a 3.0 fly spell would last him an hour to an hour-and-a-half and both versions of fly grant good maneuverability (and hovering along with it).

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    Why are the others flying in spite of that? Sabine's damage resistance will likely keep her safe. As for Kilkil, I have begun to suspect his legs don't work, like, at all. I don't think we've ever seen his feet on the ground.
    Well, we have seen them touching the ground... after Belkar knocked him down. He might have been standing in the witness box (on a box in the box?), but it could have been a chair. He was seated at the banquet table, but I suppose a slave could have been responsible for moving the chair for him.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2012-09-23 at 09:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Hmm... Haley's arrows still came toward him in the smoke before the mummies were destroyed, but if he were under the effect of an overland flight spell, that only grants average maneuverability. Average does not confer the ability to hover, so I suppose that could be a problem. Failing to move at least 20 feet forward would mean falling/landing. Still, a 3.0 fly spell would last him an hour to an hour-and-a-half and both versions of fly grant good maneuverability (and hovering along with it).

Well, we have seen them touching the ground... after Belkar knocked him down. He might have been standing in the witness box (on a box in the box?), but it could have been a chair. He was seated at the banquet table, but I suppose a slave could have been responsible for moving the chair for him.
    He might have been flying around slowly, rather than hovering; it would be hard to tell the difference it a comic, wouldn't it? Also, why couldn't he be using a fly spell? It's only 3rd level.
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

3. - Top - End - #363

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick View Post
    He might have been flying around slowly, rather than hovering; it would be hard to tell the difference it a comic, wouldn't it? Also, why couldn't he be using a fly spell? It's only 3rd level.
    Maybe Kilkil likes to compensate for shortness of height by using his (?) innate flying ability. The way those clumsy two-legs are always stomping around, it's probably a lot safer to be airborne around them anyway.

4. - Top - End - #364

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Maybe Kilkil likes to compensate for shortness of height by using his (?) innate flying ability. The way those clumsy two-legs are always stomping around, it's probably a lot safer to be airborne around them anyway.
    I wish I could compensate for my lack of height with an innate flying ability!

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I also make chaotic good characters too. Nothing to be disheartened about.

6. - Top - End - #366

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by rakale View Post
    I also make chaotic good characters too. Nothing to be disheartened about.
    Hi Rakale! Are you responding to my signature line contrasting what the quiz says my alignment is and what I prefer to play in the game?

7. - Top - End - #367
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick View Post
    Hi Rakale! Are you responding to my signature line contrasting what the quiz says my alignment is and what I prefer to play in the game?

Some times these stupid things get it right!

8. - Top - End - #368

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Marrethiel View Post

Some times these stupid things get it right!
    You've got your chocolate in my peanut butter!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You know, all things considered, we did get one stroke of luck in this whole injury thing - this is a fairly conclusive strip to pause on. The ambush is wrapped up, we know the Linear Guild's location and resources, and what Elan was supposed to do has been revealed.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    You know, all things considered, we did get one stroke of luck in this whole injury thing - this is a fairly conclusive strip to pause on. The ambush is wrapped up, we know the Linear Guild's location and resources, and what Elan was supposed to do has been revealed.
    True. On the other hand, Vaarsuvius and Malack are both separated from their respective parties and are wildcards at the moment and Xykon can arrive at any time soon... speculations ahoy
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by 2323mike View Post
    True. On the other hand, Vaarsuvius and Malack are both separated from their respective parties and are wildcards at the moment and Xykon can arrive at any time soon... speculations ahoy
    Not to mention ... an author who would REALLY want to torment his audience might cut away to the adventures of Lien and O'Chul, or the journey of Niu, or Azure City's conquest of Unnamed Island, or some other sides-story.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Banned

ClericGirl

Dear God, I just noticed the news post.

Many prayers for a fast and complete recovery. And, in the future, try not to argue with plate glass. But seriously, get well.

As someone who was injured in a car accident (not my fault, rear ended and car totaled), I can only say: go to every one of your physical therapy sessions, no matter what. I missed a few due to life and work, and that hurt me when it came to the settlement in ways I never knew until it happened. Apparently, missing a few physical therapy sessions is ammunition for the insurance company of the guy* who rear ended me and totaled my car and wrecked my knee and neck, because it obviously indicates that I wasn't hurt very much. Yeah. So, if this was in any way a two party accident, cover your bases.

I've now got a sketchy knee (I can do a couple flights of stairs. Any more and I'm limping for a day. I used to run/jog for exercise, that isn't possible anymore. I walk a lot) and a cricked neck and that will be with me for the rest of my life. The other parties insurance paid for my PT, but that didn't fix me, it just made the pain go away for a little while.

* The guy was very apologetic, and honestly came clean that he was talking to his wife in the passenger seat and was distracted and that's why he hit me. It was his insurance company who was my major opponent, not the insured.
    Last edited by Stella; 2012-10-08 at 12:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I just realized that the whip may be more evidence that Tarquin's a warblade.

Somebody's probably brought this up already, but don't warblades get an ability that let's them switch weapon specific feats like Weapon Focus from one weapon to another, provided that they practice with the weapon that they're switching to? He certainly seems comfortable with switching weapons, and thus tactics, at least more so than Roy was when his greatsword got busted. He spent most of a strip looking for another two-handed weapon, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Colossus in the Playground

You still have to take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (whip) feat though to overcome the non-proficiency penalty.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #375
    Colossus in the Playground

The whip, and generally Tarquin's easy switching between weapons, is evidence that Tarquin's a warblade who switches his Weapon Focus etc. feats. Or...the whip is evidence that Tarquin never took Weapon Focus and other specific-weapon-dependent feats, instead spending his feats on the abilities we've seen him demonstrate.

Occam's Razor.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes I wonder if there's anything Tarquin could do that wouldn't make people think he's a warblade.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if there's anything Tarquin could do that wouldn't make people think he's a warblade.
    Something that makes people think he's a factotum. Or go to the bathroom.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Something that makes people think he's a factotum. Or go to the bathroom.

Desperately resisting warblade bathroom joke ....

19. - Top - End - #379
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm always a tad amused at the continual suggestions for Tarquin's class.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

biggrin Re: OOTS #863 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    I am, and I've now got this image in my head of Tarquin swinging the whip around Indiana Jones-style...

Also, I agree that Zz'dtri smiling like that is pretty neat.
    Zz'dtri is probably reminiscent of Kan'zaneif, and his tongue-snatching priestess killing whip action!
    “No one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away, until the clock wound up winds down, until the wine she made has finished its ferment, until the crop they planted is harvested. The span of someone’s life is only the core of their actual existence.”
    Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man
    "Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

GNU Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #381
    Banned

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I disagree, I think having the DM's dice rolls hidden (so the DM announces the result of the players' rolls without them knowing what the difficulty was) makes it more realistic and helps everyone stay in character in terms of thinking/strategy.

In real life, you usually don't know the exact difficulty of the stuff you're up against...
    I'll disagree. First off, this isn't real life. It's a fantasy role playing game. The characters are all exceptional people with skills and abilities far beyond those of normal people.

But even in real life, you generally (generally, mind) have some idea as to your chance of pulling off some kind of feat such as an acrobatic maneuver or an attack. This is, after all, why you trained for years. If you're defending against the attack of some GM run foe, seeing his die rolls helps you measure his skill. This is a natural assessment which any skilled combatant (your players, right? They aren't running with the NPC Expert class, are they?) would be able to make after crossing blades with an opponent for even a few seconds.

And even if you're just dodging some kind of magical attack which you aren't familiar with, I don't find that seeing your dice results or the attackers dice results ruins the suspense in any way. It allows the players to attempt to measure their defenses against the attack. This is how most good novels are written, and that success lends itself to good RPG storytelling as well.

And in the final assessment, it promotes honest play. The players know that their GM isn't screwing them, and the GM knows that he is providing a good story without needing to resort to cheats.
    Last edited by Stella; 2012-11-09 at 04:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I really love the cross reference to looking for group in the title.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

...in real life, you generally (generally, mind) have some idea as to your chance of pulling off some kind of feat such as an acrobatic maneuver or an attack. This is, after all, why you trained for years. If you're defending against the attack of some GM run foe, seeing his die rolls helps you measure his skill. This is a natural assessment which any skilled combatant (your players, right? They aren't running with the NPC Expert class, are they?) would be able to make after crossing blades with an opponent for even a few seconds.

And even if you're just dodging some kind of magical attack which you aren't familiar with, I don't find that seeing your dice results or the attackers dice results ruins the suspense in any way. It allows the players to attempt to measure their defenses against the attack. This is how most good novels are written, and that success lends itself to good RPG storytelling as well.

And in the final assessment, it promotes honest play. The players know that their GM isn't screwing them, and the GM knows that he is providing a good story without needing to resort to cheats.
    I will respectfully counter that statement. I am an advocate of hidden DM rolls, and I'll tell you why.

I think that the dice determine pure chance. What you describe as 'certainty that player's have due to their character's training,' well, I see that as the bonuses/penalties they have on their character sheets. That's all the certainty they have; the ranks in a skill, their ability modifiers, their base attack bonus... these are the elements they know for sure. The rest is up to chance, circumstance, and the dice.

As to being able to assess your opponent's skill, I think that should be down to the DM's description.

As you lower your shield and swing your battle ax in an overhead arc, your enemy dances nimbly to the side, returning your attempt with a well-placed sting of his rapier. He is clearly a swordsman of rare skill.

There you go. You, the player, now know all you need to about your opponent's skill level, without numbers or dice values even being mentioned. The result is that players are more immersed in the story telling and less focused on examining the game as a series of equations, numbers and probabilities to be solved. For me, that's a step in the right direction.

"It allows the players to attempt to measure their defenses against the attack. This is how most good novels are written, and that success lends itself to good RPG storytelling as well."
    This can be done just as easily with a well-worded description of the events as they unfold. In fact, reading a book is just that: having an encounter described to you by the author. So this storytelling method of playing (with hidden rolls, and the DM as the 'author') in fact fits what you just described very well.

I suppose I can get behind you on the "honest play" point, but I also believe the the DM can't cheat. Not that this is a new concept, but I really believe that, as long as the players trust their DM that he/she will make sure things work out and everyone is having fun, the DM can do no wrong.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter. I'm curious to hear what you think.
    Last edited by Oddfellow; 2012-11-26 at 03:14 AM.
    The Dude abides.