New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Smite Feats

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Smite Feats

Extra Smiting (Rewrite)
    Prerequisites: Smite ability
    Benefit: You may use your Smite ability (Smite Evil, Smite Undead, etc) three more times per day than you otherwise could.
    Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Empower Smite
    Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +1, Smite ability
    Benefit: When you use your Smite ability (Smite Evil, Smite Undead, etc) your attack deals extra damage equal to 1.5 × your class level (round down) + your Charisma modifier.
    Normal: A Smite attack deals 1 extra point of damage per class level.

Extend Smite
    Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +4, Smite ability
    Benefit: You may spend a daily use of your Smite ability (Smite Evil, Smite Undead, etc) to turn all attacks you make against eligible targets for 1 round into Smite attacks. For every four points of Base Attack Bonus you possess beyond +4 your this effect lasts for an extra round (to total of 5 rounds).

Frightful Smite
    Prerequisites: Smite ability
    Benefit: When you make a Smite attack against a creature, whether it hits or misses, that creature must succeed at a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Charisma modifier) to avoid being shaken for the duration of the encounter.

Meteoric Smite
    Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +6, Smite ability
    Benefit: When you use your Smite ability (Smite Evil, Smite Undead, etc), if your attack hits, then any other creatures eligible for your Smite ability within Close range (25ft + 5ft/two levels) are dealt damage equal to your class level (Reflex halves, DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Charisma modifier). The original target must also succeed on a Reflex save (same DC) to avoid being knocked prone.

Penance Smite
    Benefit: When you make a Smite attack against a creature, if the attack hits, then that creature must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Charisma modifier) to avoid becoming Confused for 1d4+1 rounds.

Reflexive Smite
    Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +12, Combat Reflexes, Smite ability
    Benefit: When you make an attack of opportunity against a creature eligible for your Smite ability that attack is considered a Smite attack. This does not spend a daily use of your Smite ability.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Smite Feats [D&D 3.5]

Penance Smite
    Benefit: When you make a Smite attack against a creature, if the attack hits, then that creature must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Charisma modifier) to avoid becoming Confused for 1d4+1 rounds.
    Spoiler
    Show

I loved these feats, Smite is a cool ability, is nice that is gets more love
    Yes, I know Wizards can do it better, everyone knows it, they have the name of the goddamn company

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

These feats are cool, but they close the door on racial Smite abilities like Smite Evil or Smite Good from the Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend templates.

Extra Smiting is a particularly welcome revision, though. Extend Smite is also really useful, it turns it into a buff instead of just a special attack.

Reflexive Smite is amazing.

I have a suggestion, though, you should make a feat that causes the Smite attack to automatically overcome all damage reduction and regeneration of the creature you Smite.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

These are great! I might use 'em sometime on a pally. See if I could get 'em ported over to PF to fix the damage it does.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

On a Grey Guard or Crusader, these feats would be absolutely brutal. Empowered Meteoric Extended smiting against all targets? Yes please!
    Thanks, Telasi for the spectacular OotSatar!

Currently playing:
    In Debbie D's awesome "The Three Goddesses" game -Ireth, the shyest nymph you'll ever meet, bardic servant of the goddess of love.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

heheheheh
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vulaas View Post
    On a Grey Guard or Crusader, these feats would be absolutely brutal. Empowered Meteoric Extended smiting against all targets? Yes please!
    I think the earliest that could kick in is character level 9, since one has BAB +4 req, and the other has BAB +6 req, and neither are fighter bonus feats.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think he means overpowered.

At 10th level, on a Crusader, for example, if you took Extend Smite at 6th level and Meteoric Smite at 9th level, that would give you one Smite a day that lasts 2 rounds, and gives you a +10 damage boost to all attacks during those rounds, with a save or prone rider, and a 10 damage (reflex half) burst to all creatures within 30ft (including yourself and all allies). Actually... when you look at it that way it sounds kind of bad.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    I don't think he means overpowered.

At 10th level, on a Crusader, for example, if you took Extend Smite at 6th level and Meteoric Smite at 9th level, that would give you one Smite a day that lasts 2 rounds, and gives you a +10 damage boost to all attacks during those rounds, with a save or prone rider, and a 10 damage (reflex half) burst to all creatures within 30ft (including yourself and all allies). Actually... when you look at it that way it sounds kind of bad.
    Hmm, you may want to at least ignore the smiter and have the option to choose when to Meteoric or not...
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Extend Smite seems worth two uses [as in, it would not be too costly to bother with and would leave the possibility of using a more conventional smite attack if you preferred] and it would limit the effects of stacking it with other things.

These would be good options for the whole "spell-less paladin" thing from Complete Warrior too...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Extend Smite seems worth two uses [as in, it would not be too costly to bother with and would leave the possibility of using a more conventional smite attack if you preferred] and it would limit the effects of stacking it with other things.

These would be good options for the whole "spell-less paladin" thing from Complete Warrior too...
    YES! That's ingenious! Say, Ziegander, if you wouldn't mind, would you let me borrow these feats (with full credit and links of course) to make a Smite-focused paladin base class? (And by "Smite-Focused", I mean that's his only class feature. )

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    These feats are cool, but they close the door on racial Smite abilities like Smite Evil or Smite Good from the Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend templates.

Extra Smiting is a particularly welcome revision, though. Extend Smite is also really useful, it turns it into a buff instead of just a special attack.

Reflexive Smite is amazing.

I have a suggestion, though, you should make a feat that causes the Smite attack to automatically overcome all damage reduction and regeneration of the creature you Smite.
    Awesome Smite (can't remember which books) is a tactical feat that lets you, among other cool abilities, overcome some damage reduction, though not regeneration.
    For regeneration, something like immolation smite (since fire is a classic regeneration nullifier), Damage dealt by the smite can't be recovered with fast healing or regeneration, only natural healing or other effects (like normal healing spells).

To the OP: Really good ones. A quick review

Extra: An improvement on the original. Not necessary, but nice.
    Empower: Again, not necessary, but nice. There's a lot of ways to increase it already, but a simple feat for extra damage is good.
    Extend: Seeing as you can, at some point, get smitesx4, this is very, very good. Even if you need higher levels for the extra attacks, I don't see who wouldn't want it.
    Frightful: A really cool effect. I even considered adding it to paladins at higher levels, but if barbarians can scare with their rage with a feat, why not paladins?
    Meteoric: This is pure coolness. Attack an enemy and his allies take area damage. The reflex save I think helps balance it. Maybe it should be higher level?
    Penance: More status effects is always good.
    Reflexive: Use smites during attacks of opportunity helps a lot, yep. A bit too late, though.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Are these made up feats? Or are they in the books? If so can I have book locations?
    That's Sketchy!!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchopotamus View Post
    Are these made up feats? Or are they in the books? If so can I have book locations?
    Nevermind, I saw the homebrew.
    That's Sketchy!!