New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Efreet?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Efreet?

Anyone ever played the Efreet from Savage Species up level 19 for the free (no XP or GP cost) Wishes?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Efreet?

You know an efreet can't grant himself wishes, right?
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

won't really matter in a party of 2+, but no, haven't played it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    The Savage Species Efreet Class does allow an Efreet to use Wish 3/day and does not prevent the Efreet from granting his own Wishes... At least I'm not seeing anything in the class listing that says they cannot do this... It doesn't even say it in the fluff...

I mean I'd rule that you CAN'T, but from my read through of it nothing prevents you from doing this...
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

5. - Top - End - #5

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    The Savage Species Efreet Class does allow an Efreet to use Wish 3/day and does not prevent the Efreet from granting his own Wishes... At least I'm not seeing anything in the class listing that says they cannot do this... It doesn't even say it in the fluff...

I mean I'd rule that you CAN'T, but from my read through of it nothing prevents you from doing this...
    Exactly, no restrictions. Besides, you could grant someone else's wish when he/she wished you no longer had that restriction. OR grants someone's wish that he could have your power for 10 minutes and then he wished away the restriction. Either way, Savage Species list no such restriction.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Despite being free of charge, it still has all the other restrictions of wish, such as being subject to DM screw if you overstep your bounds. Mind you, there's a lot of cool and perfectly legal stuff you CAN do, but there's a lot of ways this could go wrong as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Despite being free of charge, it still has all the other restrictions of wish, such as being subject to DM screw if you overstep your bounds. Mind you, there's a lot of cool and perfectly legal stuff you CAN do, but there's a lot of ways this could go wrong as well.
    For sure. I just like the capability of having just about any spell ready or being able to create lesser magic items as needed.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by barna10 View Post
    For sure. I just like the capability of having just about any spell ready or being able to create lesser magic items as needed.
    Lesser? You can create any magic item you want. Since you're using a SLA rather than a spell, there's no experience cost. Technically, this means that it doesn't matter how high the XP cost would be, because the SLA function revokes that completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

But it can grant them to their suggested/dominated/mind raped/... minion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

As a DM, I'd let you...

Then I'd introduce the Planar Binding subplot (multiple times), where you just stand around in summoning circles until you grant some guy his wishes

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
    As a DM, I'd let you...

Then I'd introduce the Planar Binding subplot (multiple times), where you just stand around in summoning circles until you grant some guy his wishes
    Couldn't you wish for AMF and just walk away?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

You have to suck for 18 lvs to qualify for it. Just not worth it, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Lesser? You can create any magic item you want. Since you're using a SLA rather than a spell, there's no experience cost. Technically, this means that it doesn't matter how high the XP cost would be, because the SLA function revokes that completely.
    While this is technically true, I see one of two things happening;

Either the DM reinstates the xp cost for wish SLA's or caps the cost at the standard wish's 5k experience

OR

He goes with the no XP thing and bans all custom items, period.

The ability to create limitless custom items is too powerful for even the very cheesiest of games. Might as well just declare "I win" upon hitting level 19 if that's on the table.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

14. - Top - End - #14

I haven't done that (I haven't played in a 19th level game yet)

You can get wish at will easier than that (with more cheese though), and in a level 19 game, having 10 HD really would cramp my style (and survival, both HP wise, save wise, attack wise, and the low HD means that a equal level character could take me out of the fight with a blasphemy/word of chaos/dictum/holy word depending on my alignment), in that sort of game, a wizard or sorcerer could get all the wishes they want. That build would have few options, and would really be a 1 trick pony.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

While this is technically true, I see one of two things happening;

Either the DM reinstates the xp cost for wish SLA's or caps the cost at the standard wish's 5k experience

OR

He goes with the no XP thing and bans all custom items, period.

The ability to create limitless custom items is too powerful for even the very cheesiest of games. Might as well just declare "I win" upon hitting level 19 if that's on the table.
    I am all for curb stomping nice things when the get to uppity, but punishing your players for getting an awesome capstone seems a little... dickish really... I mean if you went through 19 levels of Efreet (with only 10 HD to show for it might I add) you kind of deserve a hug and free wishes... The third option of course being that s/he just lets it all fly, but that is if it is REALLY high-OP.

Regardless this class feature deserves as much regulation as any wish really
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-11-17 at 08:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    I haven't done that (I haven't played in a 19th level game yet)

You can get wish at will easier than that (with more cheese though), and in a level 19 game, having 10 HD really would cramp my style (and survival, both HP wise, save wise, attack wise, and the low HD means that a equal level character could take me out of the fight with a blasphemy/word of chaos/dictum/holy word depending on my alignment), in that sort of game, a wizard or sorcerer could get all the wishes they want. That build would have few options, and would really be a 1 trick pony.
    Yeah, infinite wishes cost mere 8400gp.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I mean a character that can get wish at will, summoning infinite Efreet is just asking for trouble, though having wish at will can be troublesome itself, hostile entities granting the wishes will mean they'll be even more twisted.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

It might be interesting as one side of a Gestalt ?

That said a player with that many wishes is going to get careless.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

19. - Top - End - #19

Zombie

Geeze, for all this whining, I might as well just play a Dweomerkeeper and be done with it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    That's a laughably bad idea. Trying to use the candle of invocation like that -will- end poorly. I'd almost guarantee it.

Also, D&D wiki; ewwww......
    Geeze, for all this whining, I might as well just play a Dweomerkeeper and be done with it.
    Don't post an idea if you're not prepared to hear critisizms. Compared to the rest of the internet, the folks around here a downright cordial.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

It pretty much is that the playground is an optimization board, and playing as an Efreet is sub-optimal, thus we mention the other things that could do better. A wizard 17 can shape change into a Zodar for wish (effectively) at will. Most of the people that would play something like that aren't on this board, or haven't read this thread.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

It pretty much is that the playground is an optimization board, and playing as an Efreet is sub-optimal, thus we mention the other things that could do better. A wizard 17 can shape change into a Zodar for wish (effectively) at will. Most of the people that would play something like that aren't on this board, or haven't read this thread.
    To be fair he wasn't asking for optimisation advice, just whether anyone had played one.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    To be fair he wasn't asking for optimisation advice, just whether anyone had played one.
    I know, though considering this is an optimization board, peoples answer to unoptimized builds in general is "no I haven't played one because it is a weak choice."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I know, though considering this is an optimization board, peoples answer to unoptimized builds in general is "no I haven't played one because it is a weak choice."
    I took the same view — and I suspect that this thread would have had no responses otherwise.
    Last edited by nedz; 2012-11-18 at 11:14 AM.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a laughably bad idea. Trying to use the candle of invocation like that -will- end poorly. I'd almost guarantee it.
    Why the hell would anyone use the Candle of Invocation to make infinite wishes without a contingency plan? Just make safe wishes (Inherit bonuses, replicated casting, free item creation). Wishing for stupid things that would completely curb stomp the entire campaign.

Spoiler
    Show
    "I wish the BBEG was dead!"
    "He is now dead-"
    "Yay!"
    "-and has become the Undead. Congratulations, now find his Phylactery"
    "I wish I had his Phylactery!"
    "You now have his Phylactery. It is in your bag of holding-"
    "Yay!"
    "It is a Sphere of Annihilation"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Why the hell would anyone use the Candle of Invocation to make infinite wishes without a contingency plan? Just make safe wishes (Inherit bonuses, replicated casting, free item creation). Wishing for stupid things that would completely curb stomp the entire campaign.
    All wishes have to be phrased. Given an infinite number of wishes a screw up is guaranteed, eventually. Basically people mis-speak occasionally.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

All wishes have to be phrased. Given an infinite number of wishes a screw up is guaranteed, eventually. Basically people mis-speak occasionally.
    nibble if you want
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd rather this didn't turn into a "Corrupt this wish" thread ... BUT! I do love those kinds of threads...

I wish that my intelligence score would increase by 1
    I'm sure the DM in the sky would ask me to phrase that as a D&D character would so...

I wish I were twice as intelligent as I currently am at [insert time, date, year, month, second and fraction of second].

This is why I hate wish silliness... and yet I love it so much... Given enough time and thinking a Wish can be flawless... My favorite wish is wishing that Wish X never occurred (See Episodes 501 (105) and 502 (106) of "Adventure Time")

28. - Top - End - #28

Not in D&D, you just say "I make each Efreeti create a candle of invocation LE with each of their three wishes, and light each on to summon another Efreeti to do the same thing." I'd consider it a rather lame DM fiat for the DM to say "you misspeak and you cause something horrible to happen." instead of doing something more creative or you running out of Efreeti to summon/summon the same Efreeti as you already made make the candles so it grants no more wishes.

You'll still end up doing something horrible or the DM will just be like "no, don't do that." if the DM is sane or creative, if the DM isn't, then you'll just do whatever you want, though misspeaking isn't the way I'd think it'd happen.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Wish
    Wish is the mightiest spell a wizard or sorcerer can cast. By simply speaking aloud, you can alter reality to better suit you.
    You actually have to say what you want.
    This has nothing to do with DM fiat, well other than it's a wish.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

You actually have to say what you want.
    This has nothing to do with DM fiat, well other than it's a wish.
    Yes, but your character says whatever you want them to, absent weird optional rules modules like the eyestrain rules for whatever that one magical-gunslinger class was.

Regardless, there are easier ways to get this even without any particular cheese. Ur-Priest to steal an Efreet's wish ability for example.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)