New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Don't forget that you can blow up the whole ground level of a building and the upper levels will just float in mid-air as if nothing happened.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Don't forget that you can blow up the whole ground level of a building and the upper levels will just float in mid-air as if nothing happened.
    It would be cool if you could literally bring down the house on the aliens.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-11-13 at 03:57 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, waddaya know, they kept the classic glitches.
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-11-13 at 05:46 PM.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    That's something I can get behind of. I mean, destructible walls are one thing, but coding structural integrity and such into the game, well.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    It would be cool if you could literally bring down the house on the aliens.
    You'd like X-Com Apocalypse.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Urgh. So I've been making a couple runs at ironman impossible. My best one so far I managed to get through the first month and a half, beat the terror mission, but blew it on a council mission by popping 6 thin men at once and getting torn up.

But I have a question. Last night I tried a new ironman impossible mission and the map it gave me was that graveyard in Mexico. And I can't beat it. I tried several times, but with 8 sectoids all near the start I find that I can't move beyond the SUV without getting at least 5. I tried moving around the back side and up the side path, but that led to the same 5 guys popping issue and then they blew down the wall and killed two of my guys.

Any tips? It's this one specific map that just seems unbeatable to me with 4 rookies, other than trying it so many times that I eventually get a lucky roll of the dice.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    That's something I can get behind of. I mean, destructible walls are one thing, but coding structural integrity and such into the game, well.
    Yeah, if it ain't in Xenonauts, I'll understand.

And at least the graphics in Xenonauts actually make it clear that the fence is taller than your soldiers.
    My Steam profile

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Urgh. So I've been making a couple runs at ironman impossible. My best one so far I managed to get through the first month and a half, beat the terror mission, but blew it on a council mission by popping 6 thin men at once and getting torn up.

But I have a question. Last night I tried a new ironman impossible mission and the map it gave me was that graveyard in Mexico. And I can't beat it. I tried several times, but with 8 sectoids all near the start I find that I can't move beyond the SUV without getting at least 5. I tried moving around the back side and up the side path, but that led to the same 5 guys popping issue and then they blew down the wall and killed two of my guys.

Any tips? It's this one specific map that just seems unbeatable to me with 4 rookies, other than trying it so many times that I eventually get a lucky roll of the dice.
    No specific advice, but watching this might be helpful

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Istari View Post
    No specific advice, but watching this might be helpful
    I watch the Beaglerush films. Notice that he had trouble with that map as well and lost a bunch of people. Notice also that he had promoted units whereas I got stuck with it for my first mission, meaning it's 4 rookies against the world. It's hard.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

I watch the Beaglerush films. Notice that he had trouble with that map as well and lost a bunch of people. Notice also that he had promoted units whereas I got stuck with it for my first mission, meaning it's 4 rookies against the world. It's hard.
    Hm... could you start a campaign on a different difficulty, than switch back to Impossible, to get the RNG to choose a different map?
    My Steam profile

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Hm... could you start a campaign on a different difficulty, than switch back to Impossible, to get the RNG to choose a different map?
    I could just start a new ironman impossible game. It's a different map every time. I'm not doing this because it's strictly required, I'm just frustrated that I can't figure out a way to beat this map.

Thanks for the advice though.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

I could just start a new ironman impossible game. It's a different map every time. I'm not doing this because it's strictly required, I'm just frustrated that I can't figure out a way to beat this map.

Thanks for the advice though.
    Well, it looks like there weren't many aliens to the left. Don't worry about getting cover in the first turn, just move and overwatch until you get to the wall on the far left of the cemetery.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-11-14 at 10:32 PM.
    My Steam profile

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

I never had a problem with that map before. Even my one impossible game I started I got that map and finished it without any problems.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ettin in the Playground

Just curious,
    Is the robot tanks useless now since it takes on unit space instead of separate space?
    I wonder what will be included in DLC?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Just curious,
    Is the robot tanks useless now since it takes on unit space instead of separate space?
    They always took a unit space, and they're still quite good for shepherding new troops and not being mind-controlled. Though they'll never be as good as a colonel, much less a high-ranking psionic trooper.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

I suspect you're forgetting the X-Com Mantra: If in doubt, BLOW IT UP. If you don't have enough explosives to bring down the House, you DON'T HAVE ENOUGH.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Just curious,
    The Alloy tank is good for mobile cover, and all of them provide suppressing fire, which isn't normally a bad idea, but it's a slot that could be filled with a powerful soldier much more easily.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

I need to start playing this again...! I am halfway through the alien base and haven't played for a week, almost! *Argh!*
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I need to start playing this again...! I am halfway through the alien base and haven't played for a week, almost! *Argh!*
    It's actually a pretty fun mission, though with a severely underwhelming boss. The alien base is a cakewalk compared to the final mission.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

So I finally made it to the end of the game (on Normal, now I can go back to Classic).

Why the heck is the last level so friggin dark?? The Ethereals ain't paying their electricity bills?

I have to question the level design of fighting through every type of ET in the game, though. There really isn't any challenge to Sectoids, Thin Men, or regular Floaters and Mutons, or even Chryssalids and Cyberdiscs by that point. I get that it was for the BBEG to explain all the different aliens to us, but I really expected a greater challenge.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, that fight was kind of more thematic than anything else. It only really gets difficult when the Ethereals show up, but even then you can just carpet their ugly faces with explosives to strip away that cover.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps to give you one last chance to capture them? It wouldn't be the first time that designers had forgotten that the game ends there.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, finally got the game and IT IS AWESOME. I've been playing it for a bit, and believe I'm doing good so far, at least with a bit of reloading. (Mainly because the game forgot to inform me that a rocket shot was blocked, so my heavy ebded up exploding half the team, or when the cursor slips just a bit, so instead of running into cover and getting to reload, my sniper finds himself in the open, waving to those nice sectoids).

Game is good so far, about 2 months passed and I'm starting to get the hang of base-building and researching alien weapons. Got an "assualt the base" mission but not sure if I'm ready to do it yet.
    I just love the feeling of panic, when after a small move, a large part of to fog lifts and you see yourself withing range of six hungry robo-floaters. Lucky my trusty heavy had a rocket.

Best part so far: Shooting a Floater in the face with a rocket, sending him through the geometry at the edge of the map.

Worst part so far: My assault runs behind a giant screen-filling muton, and blasts him with her shotgun two times at point-blank. Both shots miss horribly and she gets a backhand to the face. 98% to hit my foot!

Heroic moment of the day: My assualt find himself low on ammo, and health, surrounded by 3 Chryssalids after saving a civilian. seeing as he has no hope, the heavy behind him takes the shot, and blasts the poor soldier and robo-spiders with his rocket.
    Major Yamaguchi, you shall be remembered.

Some questions:
    1. Are robots worth the price? Do they have any useful abilities or are they just basic recruits?
    2. Some times, my snipers or heavies seem to be receiving weird yellow signals in the middle of combat. Are they being mind-controlled?
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    the cursor slips just a bit, so instead of running into cover and getting to reload, my sniper finds himself in the open, waving to those nice sectoids).
    Cursor slips are fairly commonplace. And fairly annoying.

98% to hit my foot!
    Random Number Generator is Random.

1. Are robots worth the price?
    I never thought so. Later on, when fully upgraded they can act as Heavies if your real ones are wounded and you really, really, really need a Heavy Plasma.

Some times, my snipers or heavies seem to be receiving weird yellow signals in the middle of combat. Are they being mind-controlled?
    Those are noise signals. It tells you what direction the X-Rays are, but not how far, and definitely doesn't tell you whether or not the X-Rays are on Overwatch.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

1. Are robots worth the price? Do they have any useful abilities or are they just basic recruits?
    Basic SHIVs are worthless, basically recruit level heavies that never level up
    Alloy SHIVs aren't bad, but aren't particularly great. Having a portable source of cover with a mini-gun isn't bad, but you do give up a team member to get it
    Hover SHIVs are, IMHO, worth having. They're the best scouts in the game (short of a well-played ghost assault) with 12 moves of flight by default, 24(!) if you get the double fly duration foundry upgrade (how many battles do you have that go past 24 rounds? And that assumes they move every round, staying still doesn't cost fuel.). They can fly around scouting the battlefield, are hard to hit and very durable, and can't be mind-controlled, which makes them ideal for spotting work.

Don't expect too much out of their weapons (even with the plasma upgrade), they're there to fly around spotting aliens so your real soldiers don't have to risk bad cover to do so. With the suppression upgrade and a good team of 5 backing one you can easily have an attack where the thing never actually shoots (just suppression fire), but contributes greatly to the team's success.

Also they pair very well with Archangel Squadsight snipers on outdoor maps .

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Whoa whoa whoa. I can get robot that fly or act as cover? That sounds very awesome. All my alloys for this.
    Some more questions:

1. What do I have to kill to get better body armor? My troops are still using the basic one and I feel it will not be enough soon. (I did research Chryssalid carapace, but need more corpses to build one, and the description seems like it only protects from melee).

2. In your opinion, what's the best continent bonus? Is "We have ways" (South America) any use compared to to the other ones? I seem to do autopsies and interrogations in about 2-3 days.

3. Is there any bonus for capturing an alien type more than once?
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Whoa whoa whoa. I can get robot that fly or act as cover? That sounds very awesome. All my alloys for this.
    Some more questions:

1. What do I have to kill to get better body armor? My troops are still using the basic one and I feel it will not be enough soon. (I did research Chryssalid carapace, but need more corpses to build one, and the description seems like it only protects from melee).

2. In your opinion, what's the best continent bonus? Is "We have ways" (South America) any use compared to to the other ones? I seem to do autopsies and interrogations in about 2-3 days.

1. I think you research alien alloys to unlock Carapace Armor research. 'lid carapaces are basically super nanovests.
    2. Africa
    3. Yes, free plasma weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not actually sure. You should have gotten Carapace Armor as a research option fairly early.

The Chryssalid item also gives +4 hp, in addition to the melee defense. Yeah, the description for some reason leaves that out. Don't understand that one.

Africa. Extra money is by far the best benefit you could ask for, especially on higher difficulties.

South America's is nice if you get it early enough that it affects nearly all of your autopsies and interrogations, but otherwise yeah, it's basically a non-issue, since they take little time to begin with.

Not really. Just the fact that you recover their weapon intact, which can be useful for picking up plasma weapons without paying for them, but honestly you'll get a decent start on them just by capturing each once, and later on you'll have enough money that buying them is better than waiting until you capture more enemies carrying the weapons you want. You might want to capture an extra Thin Man or Floater here or there for extra light plasma rifles before you research those, or maybe even a second Sectoid so you have more plasma pistols to give to your Snipers, but that's about it.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmarvho View Post
    It's actually a pretty fun mission, though with a severely underwhelming boss. The alien base is a cakewalk compared to the final mission.
    The challenge of the alien base "boss" is present, but rare. If you give it no targets but leave a soldier in a position where it can move to draw LoS, it will use mind control and make your life pretty unfun if you're trying to move up for a capture.

If you're just trying to kill it then it's pretty easy, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    So I finally made it to the end of the game (on Normal, now I can go back to Classic).

I have to question the level design of fighting through every type of ET in the game, though. There really isn't any challenge to Sectoids, Thin Men, or regular Floaters and Mutons, or even Chryssalids and Cyberdiscs by that point. I get that it was for the BBEG to explain all the different aliens to us, but I really expected a greater challenge.
    The mission design makes more sense on classic or impossible. It becomes a slog as the aliens try and wear you down, with the first rooms representing a chance to waste a few resources early, and the sectopods, muton elites, and the ethereals representing the actual threat.

As an aside, if your volunteer has a medkit and uses it to heal an ally, there's a custom line from the uber ethereal and he gets a little upset at how "weak" you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Also they pair very well with Archangel Squadsight snipers on outdoor maps .
    This is very true.

1. You need at least 5 alien alloys to research aliens materials. Carapace armor shows up right after that. It can be a little confusing because the nanofiber vest is an extra item, not armor, but carapace armor is what you're looking for.

2. Africa is the best in general. There's a way to make Europe good where you only take engineers on the first abduction and then take cash rewards and build workshops to change the missions that reward 200 cash into missions that reward 5 engineers and ~125 cash (accounting for extra power requirements). Asia is also quite nice over time as there are a lot of officer training and foundry projects.

3. Extra guns, as people have noted. It's basically never worthwhile to lose a good soldier just to capture a gun, however. Losing a rookie is fine.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Troll in the Playground

2. Africa is the best in general. There's a way to make Europe good where you only take engineers on the first abduction and then take cash rewards and build workshops to change the missions that reward 200 cash into missions that reward 5 engineers and ~125 cash (accounting for extra power requirements). Asia is also quite nice over time as there are a lot of officer training and foundry projects.
    Africa is indeed the best. My go-to strategy is to start Asia, put my first satellite over the US or Russia (depending on who needs the panic reduction more) and then rush Africa the following month. I ignore South America entirely, working on getting North America covered while keeping panic low in nations with 100+ funding.
    Truth resists simplicity.