New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1418
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Murphy's Law (Thread 2!)

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    In any case, I did promise to have an update, so...

#38: Gonna Need More Duct Tape

Ohhhhhh. More Math jealousy at elves, this time at elven prestige classes.

And Coffee, MORE duct tape?!?!? I think Math is broken way beyond the point of super tape now.

No, he keeps thinking that the windows are open.
    They could be really, REALLY clean windows. Thats why birds usually fly into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    Good. Elves are annoying because everybody makes them smart, agile, and long-lived. I might make elves very short-lived in any campaigns I DM.
    -Xavez
    Whats so annoying about them? Is it because they are awesome and can kill you very fast? Don't hate on the awesome elves!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Wow. You sound exactly like my friend. He hates how elves are always portrayed as better than anyone else. We always come up with amusing conversations and jokes about that.
    Elves are better than anyone else, when it comes to ranged combat and speed.
    Last edited by Aaron; 2010-05-28 at 02:02 AM.
    Your local Cleric.

Cleric of the Murphy's Law Thread
    (yes, that is possible)

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Wow. You sound exactly like my friend. He hates how elves are always portrayed as better than anyone else. We always come up with amusing conversations and jokes about that.
    ....or maybe on the flip side, I can write them and humans as being not so different from each other from the perspective of someone higher on the cosmic chain, and portray them BOTH as bastards, thus getting two cynical opinions for the price of one

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closak View Post
    And about a month and a half before my own birthday (August 19'th)
    Mine’s august 8th. i win!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    portraying them as imperialist racist jerks
    2nd law of D&D: racism is ALWAYS bad!... unless your an elf, in which case; its an interesting personality trait!

that they try to conquer the other races and enslave them because they consider them savages
    you should look up the nut job half-elves from tails of symphonia

y'know, I was gunna suggest the possibility that the parents of those two half-elves were also half elves. Then I realised two of the grandparents were full elves... maybe both human grandparents died, so the elven grandparents got together and started a magic shop? XD
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm also wondering who's going to end up joining the party.

(I'm half expecting Coffee to do a bait and switch, and for one of the grandparents to join them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    Good. Elves are annoying because everybody makes them smart, agile, and long-lived. I might make elves very short-lived in any campaigns I DM.
    -Xavez
    You could go with how Tales of the Questor portrays elves: they're eternally youthful because they're cursed to die as soon as they become adults.
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2010-05-28 at 04:56 AM.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Colossus in the Playground

Look, I like to portray these races differently. These elves are graceful and long-lived, but that's about it. You'll see.

And actually, the dwarves live next door.

I won't be back until really late tonight, okay?

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Banned

its the fact that elves are always portrayed as "better than you" rather than being portrayed as "elves" that tick people off, that is probably what he is really talking about.
    I agree with him really, I'm thinking of deconstructing elves one day, portraying them as imperialist racist jerks that they try to conquer the other races and enslave them because they consider them savages, with strong imperialism tones to show everyone what really happens when a race considers themselves (and really are) superior than the rest of them....

but don't mind me, I don't want to derail this thread okay? go back to whatever you were really talking about...
    I'm writing a story with three races, including elves. The elves are more agile but once you actually manage to hit them they are very easy to take down.

Also they enslaved the entire human race for several centuries.

I don't see the problem with portraying elves as powerful, mythical beings any more than i see a problem with dwarves being nigh perfect craftsmen. After that the only reason they'd seem to be superior is that they think themselves so.

@Zanaril: How did they reproduce? uggggh...

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

These elves are graceful and long-lived, but that's about it.
    And hyper.

And actually, the dwarves live next door.
    Are you going to have the obligatory Elves vs. Dwarfs feud?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    IIRC ,they lived just long enought to have children but all the kids ended up as orphans having to fend for themselves.
    DeviantArt

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ogre in the Playground

Guys, please try to stay on topic.
    Listen to the lady. This thread's here for us to discuss about the comic Murphy's Law, not about birthdays, elves anywhere else than in this comic or Asta Kask.

I look forward to the day Luic's arrow hits a customer.

Of course, it might already have happened. Plenty of magic bags to stuff the body into around, after all.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Barbarian in the Playground

its the fact that elves are always portrayed as "better than you" rather than being portrayed as "elves" that tick people off, that is probably what he is really talking about.
    I agree with him really, I'm thinking of deconstructing elves one day, portraying them as imperialist racist jerks that they try to conquer the other races and enslave them because they consider them savages, with strong imperialism tones to show everyone what really happens when a race considers themselves (and really are) superior than the rest of them...
    Spoiler
    Show

You're welcome.
    -Xavez
    Last edited by Darklord Xavez; 2010-05-28 at 01:13 PM.
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Banned

I'm writing a story with three races, including elves. The elves are more agile but once you actually manage to hit them they are very easy to take down.

Also they enslaved the entire human race for several centuries.

I don't see the problem with portraying elves as powerful, mythical beings any more than i see a problem with dwarves being nigh perfect craftsmen. After that the only reason they'd seem to be superior is that they think themselves so.

Also: i've seen one story where the elves were the inferior race and it just got under my skin like no story has ever done...

that and the dwarves had no accents

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ogre in the Playground

Also: i've seen one story where the elves were the inferior race and it just got under my skin like no story has ever done...
    Do you have a link? Or was it not online?

That and the dwarves had no accents
    But why should dwarves have an accent, any more than any other race? And why should in be a stereotypical Scottish accent?
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2010-05-28 at 03:27 PM.
    DeviantArt

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanaril View Post
    But why should dwarves have an accent, any more than any other race? And why should in be a stereotypical Scottish accent?
    It's not, actually. Scotsmen have a stereotypical Dwarfish accent.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    It's not, actually. Scotsmen have a stereotypical Dwarfish accent.
    Win. Mucat, Zanaril, can I quote that exchange?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zanaril View Post
    Dou you have a link? Or was it not online?
    It was a video game. You've probably heard of it, Dragon Age: Origins?

Quick note: if you do the dalish elf origin, then the 'im a superior bastard' stereotype is still fulfilled.

Because english is not their natural language which means that the only ones without accents would be diplomats, royalty or english teachers: people used to speaking the language nearly as often as dwarvish. Sure, there's no reason it should be scottish, but that they sounded exactly the same as humans and elves just bothered me as all crap... mostly because the few people that DID have accents had absolutely no rhyme or reason for it.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Elves can be irritating or not, it depends... I have a friend that likes to play only elves, but the thing is, she does it well. Actually, the character she's currently playing reminds me a little of Matt. He's a rogue too(well, a rogue/wizard) and the dice just hate him! Oh, the hilarity it brings..

But, seriously guys, I second Discord here, we should really get back on topic. There are other places to discuss elves and dwarves.

So, about the new comic:
    Serrins brother suprised me a little, he's looks different from what I expected. Not that I mind the least, hmm...wonder how he'd look like draw- Ahem! I love Radic's expression in panel 5, she knows what's coming. Hope Matt can control his anger, would be a shame if they got thrown out because he attacked the shopkeeper's grandson..

And the shelves stay on place, not enchanted after all. ;) Oh, and is that Fir who says "<Congrats>" in panel 3?
    Last edited by CWater; 2010-05-28 at 04:37 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

16. - Top - End - #1126

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Elves can be irritating or not, it depends... I have a friend that likes to play only elves, but the thing is, she does it well. Actually, the character she's currently playing reminds me a little of Matt. He's a rogue too(well, a rogue/wizard) and the dice just hate him! Oh, the hilarity it brings..

But, seriously guys, I second Discord here, we should really get back on topic. There are other places to discuss elves and dwarves.

So, about the new comic:
    Serrins brother suprised me a little, he's looks different from what I expected. Not that I mind the least, hmm...wonder how he'd look like draw- Ahem! I love Radic's expression in panel 5, she knows what's coming. Hope Matt can control his anger, would be a shame if they got thrown out because he attacked the shopkeeper's grandson..

And the shelves stay on place, not enchanted after all. ;) Oh, and is that Fir who says "<Congrats>" in panel 3?
    Thank you, CWater and Discord!
    Ooh! Ooh! When's the drawings? Please?
    And yes, that is Fir saying, "Congrats!". Only Serrin and other felines can understand her though.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Thank you, CWater and Discord!
    Ooh! Ooh! When's the drawings? Please?
    And yes, that is Fir saying, "Congrats!". Only Serrin and other felines can understand her though.
    Well, I have finished planning on Serrin's part. I don't promise that there'll be a pic on the following week, but I shall try. After all, my summer holiday has technically started (well, I still have Japanese classes, but since I rather enjoy them, they don't count). I think I can at least manage a sketch.

Her brother will have to wait until he's got some more appearances though...
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

18. - Top - End - #1128

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Well, I have finished planning on Serrin's part. I don't promise that there'll be a pic on the following week, but I shall try. After all, my summer holiday has technically started (well, I still have Japanese classes, but since I rather enjoy them, they don't count). I think I can at least manage a sketch.

Her brother will have to wait until he's got some more appearances though...
    Awesome! I can't wait!

And what did you think he'd look like?

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

This has been a fun sequence, Coffee, and Serrin and Fir are a riot. Though I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop; I vaguely remember you foreshadowing that something bad would happen in the Elven lands...(not counting bad things that happen to Matt, of course. If you went around foreshadowing those, you would have no time to do anything but foreshadow, ever.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Win. Mucat, Zanaril, can I quote that exchange?
    Of course. Always an honor!

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Orc in the Playground

Fun update, Coffee; can't wait to see what's next. I'm also curious about whether or not Serrin is the only new teammember (I have not doubts about her joining, I just hadn't considered yet that the party might pick up more than one person). It could be fun to have a hyper half-elf brother-sister team in the party, but at the moment the two have enough in common that it seems they'd be at risk of becoming redundant. Then again, it seems odd to introduce a character, tell us about his classes and prestige class, and then just leave him behind.

I'm half-way hoping that this next bit of speculation is way off-base, but, since you did mention something tragic and/or dark in the works and due to come soon, it seems to me like Serrin's family (her brother especially) is in dire danger...
    That's what she said.
    Susan Sto Helit avatar by Felyndiira.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyDelusion View Post
    Fun update, Coffee; can't wait to see what's next. I'm also curious about whether or not Serrin is the only new teammember (I have not doubts about her joining, I just hadn't considered yet that the party might pick up more than one person). It could be fun to have a hyper half-elf brother-sister team in the party, but at the moment the two have enough in common that it seems they'd be at risk of becoming redundant. Then again, it seems odd to introduce a character, tell us about his classes and prestige class, and then just leave him behind.

I'm half-way hoping that this next bit of speculation is way off-base, but, since you did mention something tragic and/or dark in the works and due to come soon, it seems to me like Serrin's family (her brother especially) is in dire danger...
    Or maybe he IS the danger! (I mean, besides shooting randomly)
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tulio d Bard View Post
    Or maybe he IS the danger! (I mean, besides shooting randomly)
    *shrug* Since he's come across so far as the spacey but bubbly little brother that the family adores in spite of broken windows, the more I think about it, the more he seems to me to have "victim of impending tragedy" written all over him.
    That's what she said.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ogre in the Playground

Since he's come across so far as the spacey but bubbly little brother that the family adores in spite of broken windows, the more I think about it, the more he seems to me to have "victim of impending tragedy" written all over him.
    Yeah...

"This is the greatest day of my life. I've just launched my dream career as an Arcane Archer, the future is so bright I kind of have to squint, and nothing could diminish the happiness I feel today." Dangerous attitude if you're a character in a work of fiction.

Now, if he announces that despite being a young Academy student, he is somehow due to retire in a week, then we'll know he's doomed.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Orc in the Playground

*shrug* Since he's come across so far as the spacey but bubbly little brother that the family adores in spite of broken windows, the more I think about it, the more he seems to me to have "victim of impending tragedy" written all over him.
    Yeah...

"This is the greatest day of my life. I've just launched my dream career as an Arcane Archer, the future is so bright I kind of have to squint, and nothing could diminish the happiness I feel today." Dangerous attitude if you're a character in a work of fiction.

Now, if he announces that despite being a young Academy student, he is somehow due to retire in a week, then we'll know he's doomed.
    Yeah, it's as if he is calling for it. Even more as he still is an NPC.
    I'm prematurely feeling sorry for him.
    (Or maybe nothing happens and he just becomes a Guest Star Party Member)
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

25. - Top - End - #1135

Yeah...

Don't forget, his first level was in Bard!

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Orc in the Playground

Don't forget, his first level was in Bard!
    Then it looks like he's due to look down and see the red shirt eventually...
    That's what she said.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Titan in the Playground

well who says the two children are NPC's? unless this is like the GOBLINS webcomic were becomeing a PC is an active choice anyone can make XD
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1138

...I just realized that Matt said that elves are arrogant pricks in #34.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Titan in the Playground

Is that a pun about pointy ears? XD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

30. - Top - End - #1140

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Is that a pun about pointy ears? XD
    Actually that was Gratuitous Yiddish.

(What can I say? I'm a Jewish New Yorker! )