New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Question for Rich about color in the comics

Hi,

Just a question for Rich (or anyone else if someone else knows the answer)

For the comics which are published in black and white (i.e. the prequel books) were they DRAWN in black and white, or were they drawn in color but printed in black and white?

I understand the reasoning to print in B&W to save costs, but was wondering if they're drawn that way or drawn in color and then rendered into B&W.

Why do I ask? Well, one day when the strip is ended, you may consider publishing the books in PDF form (or some other online print form) and if they were drawn in color to start with then in that format they could come colorised, which would be a "bonus feature" people would then get which might encourage them to re-purchase even if they already bought the books.

Just wondering :-)

Cheers,
    ZM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Question for Rich about color in the comics

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieMaster View Post
    Hi,

Just a question for Rich (or anyone else if someone else knows the answer)

For the comics which are published in black and white (i.e. the prequel books) were they DRAWN in black and white, or were they drawn in color but printed in black and white?

I understand the reasoning to print in B&W to save costs, but was wondering if they're drawn that way or drawn in color and then rendered into B&W.

Why do I ask? Well, one day when the strip is ended, you may consider publishing the books in PDF form (or some other online print form) and if they were drawn in color to start with then in that format they could come colorised, which would be a "bonus feature" people would then get which might encourage them to re-purchase even if they already bought the books.

Just wondering :-)

Cheers,
    ZM.
    All comics are created in the state that you see them. If they are printed in black-and-white, then I drew them in black-and-white. It would be an enormous amount of work to colorize them or decolorize them, so I am unlikely to ever bother.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I'd imagine color as it'd hard to determine what shades of gray to use. As for PDFs in color, there's a joke in SoD that wouldn't allow it to work if it's in color.

edit: ninja'd
    Last edited by Dr.Epic; 2011-03-16 at 03:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Actually, there are two scenes in SoD that would not work in colour.

Spoiler
    Show
    First, there's the Joke after the Crayons and scond there's the failed Prismatic Spray by Dorukan.