New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Definition of Friendship

How do you define friendship? At what point would you be willing to call someone a friend in real life and what would you expect from them?

I’m asking this because I don’t know if I have an adequate understanding of who would consider me a friend and I want to know what the commonly accepted definition if so that I can actually know if I have any friends whatsoever.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Definition of Freindship

Hrm... I think you are going to find that there isn't really much of a standard for this. I know people that consider me their friend that I barely talk to (and would put in the "friendly acquaintance" category, if I had to define my friendship with them), and there are some people that I barely know that I'm very comfortable talking to (an unusual thing).

Mostly, it's a matter of trust. How much you're willing to tell this person, what kind of information you trust them with. I'm a fairly introverted person; I'd say that even my close friends don't know me incredibly well, but that's because I don't tell people much about me in general.
    A few odds and ends.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Friendship is best operationally defined, I think 'how much does this person improve my day?' works pretty well.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

If they were turned into a basilisk, would you put your eyes out so that you could still hang out with them?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Are you friends with your self?
    If you wish to have a voice chat, Send me a PM and we can arrange it. Provided you use skype.

I do not give permission for posts may be used for research purposes unless written permission is given.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I like the simplified Aristotle definition: a friend is someone who becomes happier when you are happy and you become happier when they are happy.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    How do you define friendship? At what point would you be willing to call someone a friend in real life and what would you expect from them?

I’m asking this because I don’t know if I have an adequate understanding of who would consider me a friend and I want to know what the commonly accepted definition if so that I can actually know if I have any friends whatsoever.
    Well obviously friendship is magiNO BAD SASKIA!

I don't really have an intellectually viable definition of friendship. Friendship is like horror, in that it's visceral and I know it when I experience it but I can't really explain what makes it so. Like horror though it does have some identifiable traits, but these are as variable as humans themselves and by no means an exhaustive list.
    • Do you go out of your way to spend time with somebody?
    • Do you feel happy when you see them?
    • Do you find yourself concerned about their well-being?
    • Do you find yourself unhappy when things are going poorly for them?
    • Are you willing to do things for them that you normally wouldn't do?
    • Are you willing to tolerate behavior from them that you normally wouldn't?

I don't really expect that much out of my friends. Basically I expect them to avoid hurting me where possible and not to take advantage of me. I'll generally expect more (and be willing to do more) if somebody demonstrates that they can be trusted, but I don't think it's right to just expect things out of people without a demonstration that they're willing to do it; the difference between a friend and a close friend is all about reliability, and a reliable friend is the greatest treasure in the world.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Definition of Friendship

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post

My definition is really simple. Are they someone that ask me to do things with them, and are they someone I ask to do things with me. Almost doesn't matter what that something is.

Someone that I just happen to see because we are at the same place is either an acquaintance or a co-worker. It's when the relationship becomes stand alone that I really consider it a friendship.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keldridge View Post
    My definition is really simple. Are they someone that ask me to do things with them, and are they someone I ask to do things with me. Almost doesn't matter what that something is.

Someone that I just happen to see because we are at the same place is either an acquaintance or a co-worker. It's when the relationship becomes stand alone that I really consider it a friendship.
    This. Unfortunately by this definition I don't really have any friends. Maybe one.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I like the simplified Aristotle definition: a friend is someone who becomes happier when you are happy and you become happier when they are happy.
    I like this definition.

Friendship is one of those things that's really hard to put any kind of precise definition on.

I might call someone a friend for a number of reasons, but no single person has to meet all of the criteria. In fact, only two people I know have ever met all my criteria for calling them friend. I married one and I call the other my brother even though we don't share a single relative biologically speaking.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Love is a gift.

A friend is a person that we give that gift to.

There-fore, a friendship is a relationship which is defined by two people mutually exchanging this kind of irreplaceable gift.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake. (Aristotle)

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I usually think of someone as a friend if I they will help me when I need help and I know I can ask them for it and vice versa. Everyone else is just an acquaintance.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

But sometimes being your friend would mean going against your wishes, right? If I want to kill myself then the duty of my friend is to call the ambulance.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Hmm...

Friend, n.: Someone you can open your heart to without fear, and vice versa.

Lewis once described friendship as the moment when you said to another human: "You, too? I thought I was the only one."

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    But sometimes being your friend would mean going against your wishes, right? If I want to kill myself then the duty of my friend is to call the ambulance.
    Aye in that case the friend would help you by putting a stop to that.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    I usually think of someone as a friend if I they will help me when I need help and I know I can ask them for it and vice versa. Everyone else is just an acquaintance.
    As the saying goes, a friend is someone who will help you move; a good friend is someone who will help you move a body.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

18. - Top - End - #18

A friend is anyone who pays me a dollar. A good friend is anyone who pays me ten dollars. Higher categories extend from there, but I rarely have any takers.

A person who asks me to give him all that money because he's broke is my brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    A friend is anyone who pays me a dollar. A good friend is anyone who pays me ten dollars. Higher categories extend from there, but I rarely have any takers.

A person who asks me to give him all that money because he's broke is my brother.
    Is this a one time payment, or a renewable subscription? If a person is your friend for one dollar, is that for life? Or for a period of time? Would you stop being that person's friend if they offered you more money? Is there a volume discount? What if the person finds your friendship unsatisfactory ? Do you have a refund policy? Or would you offer an exchange , giving him friendship with another friend of yours of his choice? :)

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Is this a one time payment, or a renewable subscription? If a person is your friend for one dollar, is that for life? Or for a period of time? Would you stop being that person's friend if they offered you more money? Is there a volume discount? What if the person finds your friendship unsatisfactory ? Do you have a refund policy? Or would you offer an exchange , giving him friendship with another friend of yours of his choice? :)

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    All FAQs are answered within the friendship EULA. Which nobody ever reads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

There are all sorts of definitions, I think, but the two I'd boil them down to are:

Someone who is prepared to put themselves out either financially or personally to help me, with no ulterior benefit in it for themselves.

Someone who is given a guaranteed opportunity to benefit at my expense, with no other adverse repercussions, and chooses not to.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

If you have to define it, it's probably not friendship.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    As the saying goes, a friend is someone who will help you move; a good friend is someone who will help you move a body.
    A good friend will bail you out of jail at 4 A.M. You're best friend won't . . . because he's sharing your cell.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Sufficiently advanced technology.
    What's so funny?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to be the guy who says Magic.

In all seriousness, someone you're comfortable being with as yourself, whom you share a number of interests with, and tolerates you at your worst, and whom realizes that neither of you is batting 1000 on the friend-o-meter.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    I'm going to be the guy who says Magic.
    ...for the third time.

(my other post was second)
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I just lost a long time friend to Cancer. She was my friend from grade school and was always there in person, on the phone, or email whenever I needed someone to talk to. Didn't matter what time or what subject. She would listen and that was the important part of her, she would listen. She might give advice if asked but would not get mad if I did not follow it. She was always there to pick up the pieces when I screwed up as I was with her. I could tell her anything and it stayed with her. A true friend, in my opinion, listens to you, keeps your information private, doesn't gossip about you and loves you just the way God may you.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

there is three definitions I like (Without going in to levels of friendship etc.)

For the lower extreme of someone you could possibly call a friend:
    The Dunbar number: A friend is someone "you would not be embarrassed to join at the bar of the transit lounge of Hong Kong airport at 3am".

For the upper end (for me at least), someone I would call a "real friend" someone who I would be happy to call on a Saturday evening and ask if they wanted to go for a beer or to watch a film, and would not feel weird about saying no.

For the mid point. Someone I you would probably call a mate (in the UK use) or pal. Someone you could fart in front of without worrying they would be offended (Dose not count if you are under 16. Girls under 16 are always offended. Boys under 16 are never offended.)
    GnomeFighter, Membership Advisor, Henchpersons Union, South and Central (UK) branch - Ask about membership today!

Injured in an evil experiment gone wrong? Suffered defending your employers lair? Get the compensation you deserve! Why wait until you have a doomsday device to exact revenge? Call the Henchpersons Union today. Our specialist evil injury lawyers are waiting to help!

Remember, just because the world will suffer doesn't mean you should too!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

gnomefighter has it straight

we recently watched a movie in french class where a guy had to prove to his coworkers that he had a friend.
    he ended up convincing a taxi driver to commit fraud for him
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!