New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Flee

1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: To Boldly Flee

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Well. I'm sad there's no more Critic.

But I understand Doug's reasons, and think they're good ones.

And I'm excited to see what changes will be coming to the site.
    I agree with the first two, though the second doesn't lessen the first at all.

The last... we'll see. New shows always carries the possibility that I won't like them. Especially considering he mentioned that the main new one, which he intends to replace the Nostalgia Critic as his main attraction, will have a plot to it. As I've said before about the anniversary movies, I don't think he does serious storytelling well, just comedy, so moving from an all-comedy series like Nostalgia Critic into a comedy and story series doesn't exactly get me excited.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post

The last... we'll see. New shows always carries the possibility that I won't like them. Especially considering he mentioned that the main new one, which he intends to replace the Nostalgia Critic as his main attraction, will have a plot to it. As I've said before about the anniversary movies, I don't think he does serious storytelling well, just comedy, so moving from an all-comedy series like Nostalgia Critic into a comedy and story series doesn't exactly get me excited.

Zevox
    Well, I meant more than just his show. More the general positive changes to the site; people getting blip contracts, some of them getting studio space, things like that.

And while his plots haven't been awesome, it sounds like he's going to structure things so he has more time to put thought into it.

And I think TBF has better plot than the other specials. I think between Rob and Doug, they can do it. And they'll have the time.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Im actually really glad for the guy. It takes a good load of self observation to understand that the gig needs to retire. So that he doesn't run the thing into the ground.

Good luck to you Doug! May luck be with you!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Zevox
    I have some of the same concerns. I visit the site for snarky commentary on pop culture, I don't visit it for the storytelling.

However I would say that with To Boldly Flee they have boned up on actual storytelling enough that it might work. Hopefully better when they can build characters to suit a story from the ground up. If they can keep that level and improve on it then it can work.

As for comedy versus serious... I never thought the Critic was funny. He could snark just fine, but so can every reviewer on the site, I never found his other bits that amusing. I however always find that storytelling is a universal trait, a good story is a good story and genre is irrelevant.

Noting that farrrrr to many seem to think comedy can replace story, which is probably why I'm a tough sell on comedies and rarely seek them out.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Welp, I didn't see that coming. But since Nostalgia Critic had really mixed quality lately, I can understand that Doug decided to retire the show and start a new one. Hopefully it will be fun, and hopefully we'll see more Ask That Guy now - it's been way too long.

Doing the same as Lord Raziere.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Zevox
    You think TBF was a serious story?! The entire thing revolves around a literal plot hole and making fun of sci-fi movies! I mean, really, how on EARTH

Well, with TBF, I think he did a good job with storytelling. Keep in mind: most of TBF was spent parodying this or that scifi movie but the few moments that it got serious were actually pretty good - at least enough so that it didn't ruin the movie. And even then, they were usually punctuated or spotted with some sort of joke to lighten the mood. I'm hoping this DemoReel is something like that - a plot, but mostly lighthearted humor.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    and hopefully we'll see more Ask That Guy now - it's been way too long.
    That's the one show of Doug's that I wouldn't mind if he retired. I think it's extremely one-note, and too predictable to be funny after the first few times you watch it. That Guy's answers will always be either to highlight what a horrible person he is, or they'll be complete nonsense, and that's basically it. It was funny for a little while, but it's been a long time since it made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You think TBF was a serious story?! The entire thing revolves around a literal plot hole and making fun of sci-fi movies! I mean, really, how on EARTH
    It certainly treated itself seriously half of the time - more than half of the time in certain parts, which I felt were the weakest parts. When it was trying to be funny, it usually (though not always) was; when it wasn't, I was usually bored.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    I expected as much since his reenactment of the ending of All The Good Things. You don't reference one of best and most popular tv-shows in such a way if you don't mean it.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Whelp. I was wrong, he is retiring the show.

Oh well, best to quit when you sense the decline, rather than at the bottom. This way, fond memories will not be ruined by crappy final seasons.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Wow... so, that marks the end of an internet-video era for a lot of people who followed him.

You have to respect them not stringing along something just because it's popular, even when doing something new is going to be risky on whether people will warm up to it or not.

Personally I'm still interested in following both Noah and Doug individually but I find I've lost interest in the rest of TGWTG or Channel Awesome in general. I was already skipping 90% of the reviews before the Spoony incident happened, then that whole "event" lowered my opinion of the site in general even further, and now I find that NC being retired makes for a nice bookend to mark the end of my "fandom" of that site, where I have followed since it started pretty much.

So while I'll probably give Doug's new stuff a watch, and keep going to the Spoony Experiment, not really interested in any "larger cast" projects he mentions, especially seeing the average quality of the acting in the special - where you have a handful of actually capable actors carrying all the others who are obviously trying to "act" for the first time, or just not good actors period, and depend on you cutting them a lot of slack because of it. Not that I have anything AGAINST that, but there's just better uses of one's time. For a yearly special it's ok, but as a regular thing? Hmm.

As for what I thought of the last couple Boldly Flee videos, I would say more but there's only so many times people can say "When they're being funny it's great, when they're not it's not" in the same thread without it getting tedious. So I'll just agree with the people who said that

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Well In my opinion, Doug is still very funny. Just the NC isn't. When doug releases a sketch I bawl with laughter.

I also really enjoy the larger cast. Especially phelous and the Sage.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground

After managing to actually watch the video, I have to give them props for ending the show rather than letting it decline. I'd rather it end when I'm still sad about it than wait until it's more of a relief.

Also, although I'll agree that Doug's storytelling has been pretty weak before, I'm cautiously optimistic about a more story-centered show. To Boldly Flee wasn't bad, and apparently they've got a studio and are going to hire actual actors (who will hopefully be good). Plus, it might be easier for him to write a story when that's the plan from the beginning, rather than taking a bunch of pre-fabricated comedy characters and trying to piece together a story.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

It certainly treated itself seriously half of the time - more than half of the time in certain parts, which I felt were the weakest parts. When it was trying to be funny, it usually (though not always) was; when it wasn't, I was usually bored.

Zevox
    There's a reason that entire line was crossed out, ya know. Namely, it was a joke. You weren't supposed to see it as an actual point

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoony's commentary on the first part of To Boldly Flee was enlightening. He's explained why he left the company, the issues with Lupa and so on and so forth.

I'm glad that the new meds are working for him.

Regarding the Critic no longer happening, I don't mind. I stopped finding him funny about half a year ago; like he said, there's only so much you can do with a given format, and I found the Critic wearing thin.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

15. - Top - End - #165
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Spoony's commentary on the first part of To Boldly Flee was enlightening. He's explained why he left the company, the issues with Lupa and so on and so forth.

I'm glad that the new meds are working for him.
    Agreed. I'm happy the whole affair was mainly motivated by a business motives, rather than personal conflicts. If only that personal conflicts are the worst basis for any business decision.

Spoony is the critic I feel the most emotionally. I almost feel linked to his performance, to his rage and emotion. Maybe it's because he only talks about stuff he genuinely cares (negatively or positively), maybe because he puts so much of himself in his writing, maybe it's because he's such a good actor and can really shows himself on camera, as opposed to a somewhat stiffen himself (like the Snob).

Or maybe it's because I just genuinely like him.

If I ever get to do an internet-based show, it wouldn't be because of Jo, Doug Walker, Linkara or Lindsey, it'd be because of Spoony. He's the man.

That said, I'm happy he's better. I'm happy there won't be a lasting grudge between him and the executives of CA (who are not bad people).

Regarding the Critic no longer happening, I don't mind. I stopped finding him funny about half a year ago; like he said, there's only so much you can do with a given format, and I found the Critic wearing thin.
    I still liked him a lot. One of his best review, Signs, has been done only recently. My girlfriend and I had to stop the video for 20 minutes just to finish laughing at his alien subtitles.

I am worried about the future of TGWTG, as they ARE losing they Flag Character, like Spoony says. And his business-related grievance ARE true: the site is a mess, there are too many producers, and none get the sort of exposure they would hope to get.

Edit: I forgot to comment on one aspect of TBF.

It's something people apparently have strong feeling about. Strong feelings I disagree myself..

JesusOtaku's performance.

I LOVED IT!! I enjoyed every second she was on screen! Maybe the girl can only show one emotion on screen, but she is so adorable when she does the Glee thing, playing a character that is ONLY Glee/Enthusiasm was pure candy for my own self.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2012-09-16 at 09:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Indeed. I'm surprised I missed that last night - I saw his crossover with Diamanda Hagan, but somehow missed the commentary right below it. Anyway, yeah, a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff there that is understandable, and in some sense almost unavoidable.

I'm a bit confused about what he was saying about not wanting to move to Chicago and whatnot - does that imply that the other producers of the site are going to start doing that ? That would be a much bigger change than I'd expected from what we've been told thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr
    I am worried about the future of TGWTG, as they ARE losing they Flag Character, like Spoony says.
    Yeah. Speaking personally, there's been two big reasons I visit that site regularly for the past few years: The Nostalgia Critic and Linkara*. One of those two is now gone, and I cannot predict whether I'll be as much of a fan of the replacement show as I was of the Critic. Linkara is still doing weekly reviews, so he'll still keep me there regularly, and as long as I'm doing that I'll continue to watch videos from the others sporadically, but if/when Linkara stops, how much I'll continue to frequent the site will suddenly be very up in the air. I imagine there's no small number of others who find themselves either in a situation similar to my current one or to my hypothetical future one right now.

*Spoony was equal to them in my eyes too, but I saw his videos on his own site, since some (like vlogs) didn't get posted on TGWTG, and he doesn't maintain a regular schedule, so it was easier for me to check his site than to hope I caught his videos as they went up on TGWTG. Which ultimately meant that his leaving the site impacted me little I suppose, aside from it making it more difficult for him to do crossovers or appear in Linkara's stories as Insano and whatnot.

Zevox

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Since this has become a general TGWTG thread, let me shill a bit:

If you haven't already, check out Brows Held High. Oancitizen is great. He's very intelligent and knowledgable on the topics he's talking about, he's funny, he's the second best actor after Spoony, he seems like a very fun and nice guy in person, and he constantly tries novel approaches in his reviews, to good results. And since he's reviewing pretentious arthouse cinema, it gives him a lot of material to work with and keep the video entertaining.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

That was...formulaic, yet satisfying.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2012-09-16 at 07:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

19. - Top - End - #169
    Banned

Wait, the Nostalgia Critic is ending, but ERod still gets to make his awful Blockbuster Buster? Man, there's no justice in the world.

As for the actual special, MAN, THAT WAS AWFUL! SO AWFUL! I haven't been this disappointed in something since Revenge of the Fallen. I feel dumber having watched this thing. It's amazing how a group of people who constantly bash the storylines of others couldn't come together and make something at least decent in terms of plot. Not even the jokes were funny. It was mainly just references. I might as well have watched a Seltzer/Friedberg film, except those are 3 and a half hours long. Oh man, that was so awful!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Wait, the Nostalgia Critic is ending, but ERod still gets to make his awful Blockbuster Buster? Man, there's no justice in the world.

As for the actual special, MAN, THAT WAS AWFUL! SO AWFUL! I haven't been this disappointed in something since Revenge of the Fallen. I feel dumber having watched this thing. It's amazing how a group of people who constantly bash the storylines of others couldn't come together and make something at least decent in terms of plot. Not even the jokes were funny. It was mainly just references. I might as well have watched a Seltzer/Friedberg film, except those are 3 and a half hours long. Oh man, that was so awful!
    Somebody hand me my opinion-corrector 9000.

...Seriously though, What? I liked it. The plot wasn't anything miraculous but it was 'decent'. Which is more than can be asked for a special who's plot mainly exists to set up jokes and MAKE FUN OF other movies.

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #171
    Firbolg in the Playground

Except it's not the group who wrote this thing. It's Doug & Rob Walker.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

I can't tell. Is this supposed to be serious?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm I´m not entirely sure with what expectations you saw it because the plots where always ridiculously thin:

- lets get all together and have a brawl
    - lets get together and invade a micro country (probably the most unique plot)
    - lets get together and play a roleplaying quest together
    and all this of course with a good amount of making fun of the movies that fit the genre

24. - Top - End - #174
    Banned

Daemon

To be fair Blockbuster Buster only started in 2010, making it to Channel Awesome in August 2011. Plus ERod won't get much further whereas Doug is only just beginning. DEVIL REEL!

What exactly was wrong with the special? I though it was better than Suburban Knights and Kickassia.

Although I doubt they will make a special as spectacular, what with Doug branching out and Spoony gone. Linkara, NChick and Film Brain can't hold it up on their own and Phelous and Lupa just can't cut it. Think of TBF as the end of an era.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    What exactly was wrong with the special? I though it was better than Suburban Knights and Kickassia.

Although I doubt they will make a special as spectacular, what with Doug branching out and Spoony gone. Linkara, NChick and Film Brain can't hold it up on their own and Phelous and Lupa just can't cut it. Think of TBF as the end of an era.
    If there's one place we see the Critic again I think it would be the specials.

And yeah I Phelous and Lupa are just kind of drains on scenes... I don't know what Phelous does on his own show but he's convinced me to never watch him. So probably the reverse effect of him being all over the special.

(I already watch CR and JO who also got big pushes... but they don't produce that much. Seriously that's how you get there, regularity)
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-09-18 at 07:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that BB is absolute garbage not worth my time. I don't have time to follow so many reviewers anyway, and even if I did I'd probably still only watch the five or so I do. I am genuinely surprised that some of these people can do this as a full time job and release content so sporadically. I'm not real enthusiastic about the new Walker bros shows, but I will probably give them a shot before I pass premature judgement.

As a caveat I'm not trying to be too negative. The reviewers I do like are really good or funny, and I'm always stoked to see their content.

@V: Blockbuster Buster
    Last edited by SDF; 2012-09-18 at 10:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    I agree that BB is absolute garbage not worth my time. I don't have time to follow so many reviewers anyway, and even if I did I'd probably still only watch the five or so I do. I am genuinely surprised that some of these people can do this as a full time job and release content so sporadically. I'm not real enthusiastic about the new Walker bros shows, but I will probably give them a shot before I pass premature judgement.
    Who's BB? The acronyms are confuzzling me =(

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Who's BB? The acronyms are confuzzling me =(
    Blockbuster Buster. He's not really my thing. He just kinda lacks a certain spark some of the other reviewers have, and isn't very good at the getting angry thing.

Doug was good at getting over the top angry as the Nostalgia Critic.

Linkara is good at seeming like he is legitimately angry at whatever it is he's reading.

In my own experience, it seemed like Blockbuster Buster tries to do the second, but ends up doing the first, takes himself too seriously, and just in general isn't very fun to watch.

I watch Phelous, Obscurus Lupa, some CR stuff, Linkara, Brad Jones (Brad Tries and Cinema Snob), JesuOtaku (only sometimes), Film Brain (Exclusively Bad Movie Beatdown), MikeJ (Exclusively Shameful Sequels), Todd in the Shadows, Spoony (Off-site now naturally), and I've seen smatterings of a few other reviewers, and the difference between the ones I've seen and the Blockbuster Buster is, the ones I've seen tend to be good and entertaining at what they do.

It is however possible for your opinion of a reviewer to kinda get poisoned over time too. I've stopped liking Nostalgia Chick after her "Charlies Angels" review, and her just not being very entertaining either.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

I've seen one episode of JesuOtaku's stuff (didn't really like it), a few of Angry Joe's videogame reviews (might actually watch him on a regular basis) and Linkara, who is seriously awesome.

Welcome to Atop the Fourth Wall~
    Where bad comics burn~
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-09-18 at 10:25 PM.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Re: Blockbuster Buster - I don't really have an opinion on him. I've watched a couple of his reviews, and while they didn't make me want to watch more, they also didn't give me any reason to dislike him.

I watch basically everything from Doug (though I don't know why I still bother with Ask That Guy), Linkara, and Spoony. The rest, I'm very sporadic on. Probably watch the most of Nostalgia Chick and Film Brain in that respect, but still far from everything they do. Occasionally things from Brad, though mostly his Midnight Screening videos. I used to watch Angry Joe semi-consistently, but eventually stopped because I usually disagreed with him, and didn't find his attempts at humor funny enough to keep watching despite that. Used to watch Lord Kat's Until We Win consistently, but of course he retired it. Used to watch Benett's video game reviews semi-consistently too, but he seems to have dropped them for his new anime show, which I don't watch.

For most everybody else, I either rarely watch videos when one catches my eye, or don't watch them at all (the latter is the case with the music reviewers, for instance).

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-09-18 at 10:57 PM.