New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Q 445

Is there a 4E equivalent for a Macuahuitl? Maybe be in a Dark Sun campaign soon, and curious if there is a good stat block for it.
    A 445: it's effectively a club, despite it's sharp edges. Using the stats for a morningstar seems appropriate. If you want something more powerful, ask your DM if you can treat it as a warhammer, or (if you want exotic) as a waraxe.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 446

Ok, hi everyone! So I'm kind of new here, and for almost as long as I can remember I have loved games like D&D, but never have played the actual game. so now I think it is about time for me to get the game. The only problem I have is that I have no idea where to start. So I was wondering if there is ever any kind of meet ups where new players like me can play and try it, because I don't want to shell out however much cash it is for the game before I know i will 100% like it, also I'm worried about finding people to play the game with me. Lastly I wouldn't even know where to buy the correct game, I know there are several editions and add-on's and starter pacts... so what should O do?

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by THeBigZ; 2012-08-19 at 12:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THeBigZ View Post
    Q 446

Ok, hi everyone! So I'm kind of new here, and for almost as long as I can remember I have loved games like D&D, but never have played the actual game. so now I think it is about time for me to get the game. The only problem I have is that I have no idea where to start. So I was wondering if there is ever any kind of meet ups where new players like me can play and try it, because I don't want to shell out however much cash it is for the game before I know i will 100% like it, also I'm worried about finding people to play the game with me. Lastly I wouldn't even know where to buy the correct game, I know there are several editions and add-on's and starter pacts... so what should O do?

Thanks a bunch!
    There are a few ways to go about this. There are two that I would specifically look at. First, go to meetup.com. Do a search for gaming groups and D&D and see if you can find something local. Second, go to your local gaming store (if you are close to a major city you will absolutely have one; if you are in a smaller city, odds are you still do) and inquire there. Many gaming stores will have a bulletin board up for groups to meet. Also, many run Essentials/LFR/Pathfinder games on set days and times. Gamers as a whole are a very open community and always willing to work with new players. Once you find one gamer in your area, it's not hard to join a group.

Those are the two methods I recommend. There are other ways (and there might even be a LFG forum here on OotS, but i'm not sure about that), but those are the two that are most likely to result in you finding other gamers.

Good luck! If you are interested in 4e specifically, might I suggest making your city public? Then if someone is from around that area, they can contact you. If you are in North Carolina, I've lived across the state and can get you in contact with gamers.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

4. - Top - End - #274

A 446
    Wizards, the owners of D&D, organize regular events for people to come to gaming stores and join a pick-up game -- it's called D&D Encounters. You won't be able to create your own character unless you buy something, but there will be pregenerated characters for you to choose from. If you like it, you can buy the introductory player's books or subscribe to the monthly subscription fee to get access to everything.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=new/findagame
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Event.asp.../dndencounters

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

Where can I buy the starter set for 4e? I've really been wanting to get into D&D but I can't find it anywhere!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Barbarian in the Playground

Where can I buy the starter set for 4e? I've really been wanting to get into D&D but I can't find it anywhere!
    This thread is for rules questions, but:
    1) see the downloads on this page: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.a...ew/learntoplay

2) the "red box" starter set http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Drago...ords=red+box+d
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

If you want to get into 4E, avoid the starter set: it is not fully compatible with the real game, and only allows you to play a little bit before you need the real books. Just buy the PHB1 (Player's Handbook) instead, you'll be fine with that.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #278

Or, if you want a simpler way to build characters, there's the "Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms" and "Heroes of the Fallen Lands".

9. - Top - End - #279
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    If you want to get into 4E, avoid the starter set: it is not fully compatible with the real game, and only allows you to play a little bit before you need the real books. Just buy the PHB1 (Player's Handbook) instead, you'll be fine with that.
    What if I got both the book and the starter set? Would that help, or do I only need one?
    Thanks to Mrgone for the amazing avatar!

10. - Top - End - #280

What if I got both the book and the starter set? Would that help, or do I only need one?
    I got the started set when I first started, and I haven't used anything from it. If you absolutely need things like the tokens, just get the Monster Vault.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Then the starter set will not add anything. The book contains everything the starter set does, and much, much more.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Q 448

If you are grabbed by an enemy and you Eldritch Strike them so they are slid to a non-adjacent square, what happens? Is it even legal to do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283

A 448

PHB pg 290:
    Effects that End a Grab: [...] If a pull, a push, or a slide moves you or the creature you’re grabbing out of your reach, the grab ends.

14. - Top - End - #284

A 448

However, you do have to check for exceptions -- some monsters' statblocks say that if the creature moves or is subject to forced movement, everyone who it has grabbed gets moved along.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Q 449

I suspect this might not be a "Simple Q&A", but I can't be the first person to think of it, so maybe there's an answer already written up somewhere.

I'm building a halfling beastmaster ranger with a spider beast and the Beast Rider feat. My intention is to have the thing crawl on walls and ceilings out of range of many enemies, firing arrows at them mercilessly and using my minor actions for mocking laughter. Are there rules about using a bow while riding a creature that's holding on to the ceiling upside-down?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #286

A 449

There are little express rules about this. Any forced movement on you/the spider can knock you off the wall, but damage to the spider doesn't (as it has a climb speed).

fighting while riding on the walls/ceiling is certainly a non-standard action. I'd put a -5 penalty on someone trying it would training/experiance, but I'm sure this is something your character has past experiance doing.

There is a rule/guideline called (urg) "the DM's best friend" which says you can add +2 or -2 to anything if you feel it's approprate. That seems like an option if you are actually on the ceiling, but again, experiance doing this should remove the penalty in time.

advice: keep the mocking to reasonable levels and don't complain when you encounter reasonable numbers of enemies with climb speeds or ranged weapons.

aside: I have GMed for a character like this and a couple of humanoid enemies who orginally lacked a ranged attack spontaniously generated javelins (which where less accurate/weaker than their melee attacks) but it rarely came up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

17. - Top - End - #287

Q 450
    If an attack power "can be used in place of a melee basic attack", does it benefit from effects that apply to MBA's? (for example, the executioner's attack finesse or the combat training feat)
    What about a power that "can be used as a melee basic attack"? (I've seen both wordings)?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

A 450

If an attack can be used as a basic attack, then it is a basic attack when used as such, and gains all the benefits that basic attacks would. If an attack can be used in place of a basic attack, then it isn't, and would gain none of the benefits only a basic attack would.

For examples of each, we turn to Divine Power, specifically the Paladin's Virtuous Strike at-will, which states that it can be used as a melee basic attack, and Glorious Charge daily, which states that it can be used in place of a melee basic attack. If a Slayer somehow got ahold of both of these powers and used Virtuous Strike, they'd be able to use Power Strike if they hit, but if they used Glorious Charge they wouldn't, even on a charge.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Q 451

What is the biggest dx you can get on a melee 1-handed weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

A 451: 2d8 (with a source of pseudo-brutal 1)
    (Shock Trooper, Spiked Chain Training, Eternal Defender, many sources for pseudo-brutal 1)

21. - Top - End - #291

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Q 451

What is the biggest dx you can get on a melee 1-handed weapon?
    A 451

Yakk is correct, but in case you were looking for a specific weapon (rather than a specific build):

Simple Melee: Mace (1d8, +2), Spear (1d8, +2)
    Military Melee: Battleaxe (1d10, +2), Broadsword (1d10, +2), Flail (1d10, +2), Lance (1d10, +2, Small), Warhammer (1d10, +2)
    Superior Melee: Ugrosh (1d12, +2, Stout, Defensive), Waraxe (1d12, +2)

22. - Top - End - #292

Q 452

How does the Ranger's Hunter's Quarry feature (PHB 104)interact with the Battlefield Archer's Battlefield Experience feature (PBH 113)?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

A 452

The BA's ability overwrites the last clause of the second-to-last sentence and the last sentence of the Hunter's Quarry ability. So, the hunter's quarry effect remains active until the end of the encounter or until the quarry is defeated, and you can designate a number of enemies as your quarry up to your Wisdom modifier at a time.

It doesn't allow you to designate targets other than the nearest one, doesn't allow you to designate a new quarry more than once per round, and doesn't change the action to designate a quarry, nor does it allow you to deal your quarry damage more than once per round.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Q 453

Suppose I have an Immediate Interrupt triggered by an opponent entering an adjacent square, which allows me to teleport that opponent two squares. If the opponent did not use their full movement to move adjacent to me, can they use the rest of it to continue to approach?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Q 453

Suppose I have an Immediate Interrupt triggered by an opponent entering an adjacent square, which allows me to teleport that opponent two squares. If the opponent did not use their full movement to move adjacent to me, can they use the rest of it to continue to approach?
    A 453

Yes. Not sure why you'd think that wouldn't be the case, so not sure how to explain the answer, but in general, the actions that are interrupted can be continued after the interruption unless the interruption prevents them from happening (such as killing the target). If they still have movement points left, they can continue to use them to get close to you.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #296

A 453

The only exception would be if the power contains some language like "the target teleports 2 and its move action ends" or "... and it can't move any more squares this turn".

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
    A 453

The only exception would be if the power contains some language like "the target teleports 2 and its move action ends" or "... and it can't move any more squares this turn".
    Or you slow them and they've already moved more than 2, which is probably the most likely. :)

-O

28. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

Q454: If you've dominated a creature, can you use an action point to have them use another action on their turn?

29. - Top - End - #299

A 454
    No.
    That's a limited resource (like daily/encounter/recharge powers) not an at-will ability, so it's not a valid action during dominate.

edit: That's assuming you are talking about the dominated creature's action points.
    If you meant using an AP belonging to the creature who cast the dominate effect... certainly not by RAW, but it seems a fair use of resources.
    Last edited by Badgerish; 2012-09-10 at 05:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    noface

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q 455

Not sure if this is a RAW-ish question, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to spam with a new thread so:

Can a Power target an item?

In example: Warlock casts Storm Countess's Kiss on a Death Knight's Soul Weapon (who has previously been rendered unconscious) to make it hover far above ground, "restrained", and since an item can't make a saving throw (or can it?) making it unreachable to the Death Knight.