New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Of course, you could go the opposite: have verbs whose conjugation carries all the information you need, so you don't actually need the prono...

...oh, hey Spanish, I didn't see you there.
    FYI, there are cases in Spanish where it can be ambiguous (context in which first person singular and third person singular (which may be used politely to mean someone who normally would be second person singular) all could conceivably be committing the action in question).

(Vast majority of cases, of course, it's clear.)
    Last edited by lio45; 2017-11-14 at 09:39 PM.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    It might not always carry information in a sentence, but it carries information nonetheless.
    I guess it depends on whether he's running with a briefcase
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #693
    Firbolg in the Playground

Do Australians really talk like in Waltzing Matilda?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Some clarification, please.
    Do you mean 'do Australians use words you have hitherto only heard in the song "Waltzing Matilda"?'
    Or 'do Australians formulate their sentences as they do in WM?'
    Or 'do Australians pronounce words the way some recording of WM I've heard does?'
    Something else?
    Last edited by BWR; 2017-11-15 at 10:40 AM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Some clarification, please.
    Do you mean 'do Australians use words you have hitherto only heard in the song "Waltzing Matilda"?'
    Or 'do Australians formulate their sentences as they do in WM?'
    Or 'do Australians pronounce words the way some recording of WM I've heard does?'
    Something else?
    Same.

But I think they are asking if the non-standard words are actually in current use? I'd imagine that bilabong and tucker bag probably are, while, say, jumbuck less so except by people actually keeping sheep.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #696

The question is mostly about the lexicon. The one other thing that I find a bit odd is "that" for "shoved that jumbuck ", instead of "the jumbuck", but it might be to prepare for the question by the trooper later (whose is that jolly jumbuck).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ettin in the Playground

The question is mostly about the lexicon. The one other thing that I find a bit odd is "that" for "shoved that jumbuck ", instead of "the jumbuck", but it might be to prepare for the question by the trooper later (whose is that jolly jumbuck).
    Eh, it's not a terribly common way of formulating specificity these days but it's grammatically acceptable and has historical precedence. I'll leave it to the experts to say whether it is appropriate or at least not inappropriate for Australians of the time the song is meant to take place. As for the words, again I'll bow to the superior knowledge of actual Australians but my impression is they do see some use, if not daily in most places. Maybe a bit antiquated.

8. - Top - End - #698

Not a misuse per se, more like something formerly correct that's become obsolete, but I don't like singing Deck the Halls because about half the words in the song are used in deprecated senses.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Do all Americans talk like they do in "Yankee Doodle"? No, of course not. Nobody I know has referred to a dandy as a "doodle", or talks about macaroni wigs.

Similarly, "Waltzing Matilda" is a song written in 1895 at a cattle and sheep station, using the late 19th century jargon of that place. Modern Australians rarely talk about swagmen, billabongs or jumbucks.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Do all Americans talk like they do in "Yankee Doodle"? No, of course not. Nobody I know has referred to a dandy as a "doodle", or talks about macaroni wigs.
    Maybe you just don't know enough dandies?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Giggle. Or perhaps I just don't know enough 18th century colonials using Dutch-influenced slang.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Pixie in the Playground

My bugbear is the dying use of the word 'alternative' in the UK. It is now being replaced with 'alternate' , which means something quite different.

My girlfriend' (from the US) use of aluminum vs aluminium (I'm from the UK)!

Also, I was brought up with 'tit-anium' which now draws sniggers because it's apparently now 'tite-anium'

13. - Top - End - #703

Quote Originally Posted by PunsAndDragons View Post
    My bugbear is the dying use of the word 'alternative' in the UK. It is now being replaced with 'alternate' , which means something quite different.

My girlfriend' (from the US) use of aluminum vs aluminium (I'm from the UK)!

Also, I was brought up with 'tit-anium' which now draws sniggers because it's apparently now 'tite-anium'
    Fun fact! Don't ever say "sniggers" if you come to the States.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

My peeve: when someone claims they have a theory. If anything, they have an hypothesis, and one which they likely haven't tested, yet.

Also, normality and normalcy are interchangeable, but one of those is associated with a 20th century American presidential campaign, so I get mad at it.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    My peeve: when someone claims they have a theory. If anything, they have an hypothesis, and one which they likely haven't tested, yet.
    That's not even a misuse; theory just has multiple meanings and they mean different things.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by PunsAndDragons View Post
    Yes, your way makes more sense because it's named for the Tittans of Greek mythology.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Overuse of capitalization in writing. A lot of people, I have observed, have a tendency to capitalize words seemingly without rhyme or reason when they're writing. There is no difference in denotative meaning, but I find it incredibly distracting and unpleasant nonetheless.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Overuse of capitalization in writing. A lot of people, I have observed, have a tendency to capitalize words seemingly without rhyme or reason when they're writing. There is no difference in denotative meaning, but I find it incredibly distracting and unpleasant nonetheless.
    Might this sometimes be a case of people whose first language is not English? German at least capitalizes all nouns (and I think English may have done so in the past as well, because I've seen it in older writing). I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that other languages also have different rules for capitalization. Perhaps some people are just mistakenly porting those rules into English.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's quite possible, but German also has that beta-pretending-to-be-double-S character, and it would be pretty unreasonable to port that over into English.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

It's not confined to ESL speakers. I've known a couple of People who are Fond of the Overused Capitalisation and don't have that Excuse. Perhaps it makes them feel like they're writing something more Official or Important, since it's the sort of thing Lawyers do in Legal Documents.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    It's not confined to ESL speakers. I've known a couple of People who are Fond of the Overused Capitalisation and don't have that Excuse. Perhaps it makes them feel like they're writing something more Official or Important, since it's the sort of thing Lawyers do in Legal Documents.
    Personally, my autocorrect has Been weirdly insistent about capitalising random words. They aren't even all nouns! I'd turn it off on my phone, if experience hadn't taught me it makes my typo rate worse. I can handle the odd capital if it fixes my o's frequently becoming 9's. Capital B not deliberately added, but deliberately left in for illustrative purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

22. - Top - End - #712

MonkGuy

My autocorrect has been playing up as well. NOT only does it randomly capitalize certain words (as here), it often ignores minor errors that should be correctable, but changes correctly spelled words to other words.

(As a test, in the last sentance I tried deliberately misspelling "ignores" with a z. Autocorrect changed it to "ignored". I changed it to ignores and autocorrect changed it back to ignored. Also, it objected to the closing quotes in the earlier sentance).

As for deliberate over-capitalisation: I think it has a certain charm in historic writing (and when replicating that style). But otherwise it comes across as pretentious. It's often used by people trying to come across as profound when they're really talking nonsense. If someone is talking about "truth", they're probably talking about verifiable facts. If someone is talking about "Truth", they're probably making unevidenced assertions about (their view of) Nature / Human Nature / The Meaning of Life/ etc.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Personally, my autocorrect has Been weirdly insistent about capitalising random words. They aren't even all nouns! I'd turn it off on my phone, if experience hadn't taught me it makes my typo rate worse. I can handle the odd capital if it fixes my o's frequently becoming 9's. Capital B not deliberately added, but deliberately left in for illustrative purposes.
    Ah, that is a pretty good point. Autocorrect has a lot to answer for.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #714

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think they're called metrosexuals now
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps instead of "sentence case" capitalization they're using
    "title case" (often called "headline" as in newspaper headlines) capitalization.

Think of the Headlines of Typical Newspapers (title case)

Think of the headlines of typical newspapers (sentence case).

But probably just auto-correct (mine has it as 20th century, but 21st Century for some reason).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

It's quite possible, but German also has that beta-pretending-to-be-double-S character, and it would be pretty unreasonable to port that over into English.
    Ah, the Eszett, as in weiß, Straße, and so on. Well, they älso use ümläüted letters, and we thankfully don't have those in English either.

Back on the subject of language misuses that bug me, have I mentioned how much I hate it when people sub other vowels into the word yes? Specifically "yas," but I've seen "yiss" as well. It's stupid and it makes people who do it look stupid, please stop.

27. - Top - End - #717

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Ah, the Eszett, as in weiß, Straße, and so on. Well, they älso use ümläüted letters, and we thankfully don't have those in English either.

Back on the subject of language misuses that bug me, have I mentioned how much I hate it when people sub other vowels into the word yes? Specifically "yas," but I've seen "yiss" as well. It's stupid and it makes people who do it look stupid, please stop.
    Absofruitly.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

theres a lot of difference in meaning tho. i communicate with people a lot through text, and theres a big difference between, say, a mood and a Mood. its a case of using grammar to imitate tone and even non verbal communication thats not present in text
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

29. - Top - End - #719

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Really? Don't be so naïve.

30. - Top - End - #720

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Really? Don't be so naïve.
    Standard English uses 52 letter characters (upper and lower case) plus a variety of punctuation. Naive is, as an English word, properly spelled with an 'i', not an 'ï'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.