New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I don't know, that sounds lame. I expect Klo Tark to show up, and introduce the conscious of the Heart of Magic, which is GOD itself. And then GOD/HoM talks up Dominic and tells him that he waited since the dawn of time for someone as awesome and tolerant as him. But it knew Dominic would come, since it was foreseen in the First Prophecy (TM).
    No, even better, the heart of magic is Luna. Because Luna is great (so great) her magical power eventually reaches the level of omnipotence, (shouldnt take more than a week at this rate) and so exists in all times. Luna, (who is so great) is so great that to even look upon her power and majesty is to go blind! So Dom will get smoochies from Luna "The Heart of Magic" Travoria-Deegan and use their united power to obliterate DJ.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

The entire world will be destroyed because of DJ's magic, but then Luna will revive everyone using her magic eggs.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I've been checking the comic every once in a while lately, and it really does feel like Mookie just wants to get it over with. The feeling of well-intentioned utter artistic ineptitude is gone.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sneaky gate.
    Future link.

For just a fraction of a second I thought that was DJ's own internal monologue, and that Mookie was actually giving him a tiny bit of depth. Alas, I should have known better.
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2012-10-21 at 10:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Notably absent in the last panels: Luna, who by all means might consider begging for forgiveness for exposing the priests to a horde of zombies without any warning.

Probably just too busy being perfect.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Notably absent in the last panels: Luna, who by all means might consider begging for forgiveness for exposing the priests to a horde of zombies without any warning.
    It's how Jacob can jettison all his characterisation yet still remains Third Caste. A true Deegan never apologises for their actual character defects.

I Love Dominique:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Sneaky gate.
    Future link.

For just a fraction of a second I thought that was DJ's own internal monologue, and that Mookie was actually giving him a tiny bit of depth. Alas, I should have known better.
    Since when do monologues here add any depth?

And yes Jacob, you could have done better.
    Like Luna who stayed at home and did nothing except sending you, or like Dominic who surrendered at the first sight of trouble.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I Love Dominique:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the 5th and 7th panels broke Translation Party.
    Last edited by Turcano; 2012-10-22 at 03:04 AM.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

I Love Dominique:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That 7th panel kills me.

And yes, we all seem to be back on that stupid boat.

Anyway, I was just walking home from the bus stop and it kind of hit me that Mookie might have intentionally placed Jacob's apologetic monologuing after the king's reaction to Rilian's patronizing attempt to save DJ's soul to give us some contrast between those two characters, to highlight what makes DJ one of his memorable villains and Jacob redeemable.
    I thought, maybe he's trying to add some thought and structure to his writing, awkward as it may be.

Then I read the newspost.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-10-22 at 04:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    This is so awesome! Monthy Dominic Python Deegan Fried Bold Maltak and Spam!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Then I read the newspost.
    It will always get worse.

Also I'm now confused by the zombie armour? Was that him not showing off???? Mookie I am so confused by your newspost today that I haven't thought of a response to the inanity that is the comic.

And I Love Dominique is great. Every time DJ is around it's a magical adventure with Dominique.

12. - Top - End - #72

The entire world will be destroyed because of DJ's magic, but then Luna will revive everyone using her magic eggs.
    Because that the lesson of DD: True power comes only to those who don't do anything to obtain it.

13. - Top - End - #73

NecromancerGirl

Wait, why is DeathNotZombies!Jacob apologizing for anyone having died? These days, isn't he supposed to have accepted being dead (sensu your-soul-lying-as-a-passive-corpse-in-the-nakta, or your-soul-exploding) as a really swell outcome that doesn't warrant escape from through necromancy? From his previous changes, I would expect him to consider the dead Luanian priests to be in as acceptable a state as the living. Sure, Jayden might not, but if anyone actually would have internalized acceptance of death to that degree, it really should have been Jacob.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Sneaky gate.
    Future link.

Man, I didn't even think of that but the dialogue would work so well for a competently-written DJ Callan. Here he is, about to complete his plan(?) and someone he once looked up to as a mentor died cursing his name. This would be a fine time for DJ to pause and think about whether he is going too far -- or whether he's lost sight of his original goals.

I mean, that only works for the first panel. After that it's all "generic goodguy speech" which is really out of character for Rillian but whatever

Well, I'm glad Jayden is back to being a silent puppet for Deegans to project onto. Soon this comic will just be Deegans monologuing at silent lower-caste characters.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Because kings are elected now. Because Mookie apparently learned storytelling on George Lucas' knee.
    To be fair, historically, there IS such a thing an elective monarchy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Man, I didn't even think of that but the dialogue would work so well for a competently-written DJ Callan. Here he is, about to complete his plan(?) and someone he once looked up to as a mentor died cursing his name. This would be a fine time for DJ to pause and think about whether he is going too far -- or whether he's lost sight of his original goals.
    When was it established that king DJ saw the archmages as mentors? As far as i've seen only saw them as tools for his ambitions, or obstacles that needed to be either used or removed. Something like actually seeing them as his mentors in the past would add some complexity to his character.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-10-22 at 10:38 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    When was it established that king DJ saw the archmages as mentors? As far as i've seen only saw them as tools for his ambitions, or obstacles that needed to be either used or removed. Something like actually seeing them as his mentors in the past would add some complexity to his character.
    In theory he could have seen them as mentors since he went to study with them. Yeah, we don't know anything about how the impoverished child became a frothing megalomaniac but there is totally room in his backstory for that to have been the case at one point.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

In theory he could have seen them as mentors since he went to study with them. Yeah, we don't know anything about how the impoverished child became a frothing megalomaniac but there is totally room in his backstory for that to have been the case at one point.
    Well remember, his main reason for going to the sanctum to study was because he wanted their aid to pursue the heart of magic, not because he wanted to study under them... And he was rejected back then... and the only reason they let him in the second time he came to them was because he enchanted them. Tools and/or obstacles

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

My question would be: how can Rilian talk from under that Matrix-style cocoon? I assumed at first that the words were Miranda's, projected by a magic megaphone for everybody to hear.

Rillian speaking them is just meh. Who cares, really?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Well remember, his main reason for going to the sanctum to study was because he wanted their aid to pursue the heart of magic, not because he wanted to study under them... And he was rejected back then... and the only reason they let him in the second time he came to them was because he enchanted them. Tools and/or obstacles
    I originally thought that DJ had studied under the Council after they picked him out (after all, there was no Human -- or even Dominion-dimension -- Archmage at the time) but on reflection it looks like DJ just went up and asked for an audience with them out of the blue.

So, I guess DJ was baller enough to not only locate the Archmage and know what they do all on his own, but to demand an audience when he wasn't even a member of the Royal Knights -- which reminds me: why was he chatting with the Lazy Royals in the first place? Was he actually their Royal Mage (but not Seer?) or did the Lazy Royals simply grant audiences with anyone who walked into their Castle?

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think the clunky Luna-based exposition at least suggests he was at the very least very well known at the time, so even if DJ didn't have an official position, it'd be like being offered advice from a very well respected scientist.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

This would be a fine time for DJ to pause and think about whether he is going too far -- or whether he's lost sight of his original goals.
    It could only ever go like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Last Panel King Dave
    Eye-ve lost sight of my eye-riginal goals

22. - Top - End - #82

I still can't get over the second-most-powerful good guy in the series, and the only one that appears to be even a little proactive with threats, is the one DJ actually took out early on. It hurts that Rilian can't do anything but talk to DJ where he is right now, and that sorta shoots down my hope he was playing possum to get a good shot for some face-rottin'.

Granted, I probably set myself up for disappointment here, as I'd imagined Rilian's contribution to this arc to be to storm the castle personally and have a bitchin' blight vs light magic duel with DJ Callan to galvanize the others into a final battle sequence.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    No, even better, the heart of magic is Luna. Because Luna is great (so great) her magical power eventually reaches the level of omnipotence with Dominic's help, (shouldnt take more than a week and support by Dominic at this rate) and so exists in all times. Luna, (who is so great) is so great that to even look upon her power and majesty is to go blind! So Dom will get smoochies from Luna "The Heart of Magic" Travoria-Deegan and use their united powerm guided by Dominic's smartness to obliterate DJ.
    Corrected it for you

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    It could only ever go like this:
    Dude, you've gone wrong. If you look to much into the Mookie, the Mookie will look into you

Quote Originally Posted by Newspost
    I think it works better as a confession, especially to a woman he's been at odds with for so long.
    That's an interesting description of that one time where Jacob mindraped her and forced her to desecrate her believe in order to create an abomination of death.
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Dude, you've gone wrong. If you look to much into the Mookie, the Mookie will look into you
    It's fine. I am I. I am me.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    It's fine. I am I. I am me.
    Repeat the mantra.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Repeat the mantra.
    I am I. I am me.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Celesto is Shadow the Hedgehog. It works on multiple levels.

29. - Top - End - #89

NecromancerGuy

Too lazy to sneaky gate myself but oh god it's going to get so much worse now.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Too lazy to sneaky gate myself but oh god it's going to get so much worse now.
    So much worse.

[sneaky gate]

[future link]
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide