New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

Drisae shrugs, "Looks like her brain is butter now."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm just surprised, that's all. I don't remember ever being like this, answers the bardess. By this point she has physically caught Carlita more than once. Tell me, does my memory simply lie to me? Is this what I'm actually like when I'm alone with you? Her inquiries are calm, but she lets the growing inquietude on her face show.

Either way, what we're doing to her is, well, frightening. I didn't think it was possible for people like us to do this. Even as she subvocalizes her concerns, Melinda doesn't stop playing her part, helping Carlita to maintain her balance only to let her push off and lurch for her own oblivion.

Let me return some of her faculties to her, suggests Melinda. She's already denied her goddess once. Maybe we can make more of her situation if she lasts longer.
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-10-17 at 11:28 PM.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

3. - Top - End - #1263

Taleira Ulharvyth

I've never kissed you more than twice, and that only because you're more, um, aggressive about getting what you want. She's had twice that, and been under pressure in the meantime. If you meant to ask if you'd been a begging wreck, the answer is no. You've had the same kind of desperation to you, but you show it differently.

Taleira starts to continue, the pulls back abruptly in response to Melinda's second comment. "And what do you mean by that?" Tali stands and steps back, anger and a hint of defensiveness evident in her stance. "You've obviously got something on your mind, so why don't go ahead and say it?"
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

4. - Top - End - #1264

Quote Originally Posted by Taleira
    I've never kissed you more than twice, and that only because you're more, um, aggressive about getting what you want. She's had twice that, and been under pressure in the meantime. If you meant to ask if you'd been a begging wreck, the answer is no. You've had the same kind of desperation to you, but you show it differently.
    Oh. I suppose that's a bit of comfort. Either way...

Taleira starts to continue, the pulls back abruptly in response to Melinda's second comment. "And what do you mean by that?" Tali stands and steps back, anger and a hint of defensiveness evident in her stance. "You've obviously got something on your mind, so why don't go ahead and say it?"
    "It doesn't frighten you...?" Melinda asks aloud. "...that we can take a lifetime of devoted spirituality and turn it on its head, and watch it collapse in less than a minute? How then nearly all of faith, all of mortal spirituality is vanity, if all it takes is the presence of power such as ours to shatter it. Pure vanity." The bardess tilts her head one way, then another, swaying with Carlita's inebriated shifts in weight. Her teeth are bitterly clenched. "So considering it's what I've striven for all my life, yes, this realization frightens me deeply. Yet apparently it's something I'm just going to have to acknowledge, because it's tru-whoah..."

In attempting to maintain eye contact, both Melinda and the captive (ex-)priestess tumble. "Oh, Carlita. You want my friend so badly. Let me help you..." Her voice undergoes a strange, but by now recognizable change. She is using magic. "...come on. Up...and step...," she guides the broken woman back to her feet. Still no respite. "Left, right...good..." Melinda has maneuvered herself underneath Carlita's arm, and is supporting Carlita's upper body with her own.
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-10-18 at 08:38 PM.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

5. - Top - End - #1265

Taleira Ulharvyth

Taleira looks more than a little relieved now that she's heard the nature of the issue. Whatever she was expecting, this wasn't it. "Melinda, this works mostly because Silescia's teachings aren't natural. When you really, honestly believe that Atareth is a whore, then it's a sign you've gone too far because, for all my personal issues with her, she's the very image of the courtly maiden. People can't just pretend they don't ever need love, never mind sex. You know what my kiss feels like; imagine what it'd do after a lifetime of that kind of denial. That's what happened; she realized that Silescia was denying her the chance to be a person. Melinda, if anything, this vindicates what we stand for. All I - we - have done is show her what she's missed. Desire is stronger than whatever it was she got from Silescia, and that's all there is to it." Speech done, Taleira steps in and takes Carlita's weight off her friend.
    Last edited by Telasi; 2012-10-18 at 09:20 PM.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

Carlita eagerly shifts her weight into Taleira's hands.

Yes, yes, yes, you're right. Please?
    The problem here is between the keyboard and the chair.

Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar.

7. - Top - End - #1267

"That's not all we've done, Tali," responds Melinda. As Carlita's weight leaves her, Melinda switches back to telepathy. We've haven't just shown her our truth. We force-fed it to her, and forced her to swallow. So now she knows of our form of spiritual sustenance, yes. Does she now recognize her own taste for it? And know how to sate it in spiritual community? I want to ensure that step happens. Because then she won't be just broken. She'll be ours.

If we triumph, let us do so because there is truth in what we teach, and worth in what we practice, not because we formally adhere to the promises of Cassiopeia's prophecy and the prohibitions and indulgences of our faith. A creepy, knowing smile develops on the bardess's round face. So as much as I relish the idea of literally pressing out her fallen soul like oil from her body between ours in lust, Tali...we have a new faith to grow. Let's give her a chance. One chance. Hmm?

8. - Top - End - #1268

Taleira Ulharvyth

If that's what you want, so be it. She's all yours, but I'll be on hand if you want me.

Tali shakes her head in response to Carlita's request. "Sorry, Aunty Melinda thinks you've had enough for now. She has some things she wants to show you too, and I'll spoil it if I keep going."
    Snickett avatar by me.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth flies down, still on the periphery of the party. Tepes, "Now, my sisters, you know my pain. We attempted tyranny of our own, making us little better than the baalor. Thank you, Melinda, for this much."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

10. - Top - End - #1270

Atareth's unexpected tepe elicits an uncontrollable wince of remorse from Melinda. ...I hope to the Three you're not being sarcastic, Atareth...I really do... In leaving the stall she takes two full steps with eyes shut.

One minute she had been ready to consign Carlita to the Abyss, and then in the next, that was on course to happening already. Be careful what you wish for, she reflected. You just might get it.
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-10-20 at 02:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately, I am going to have to step in here and ret-con a bit. Basically, this happens after Taleira denies Carlita, and just as Atareth comes back into the scene. Melinda's post basically becomes obsolete. Thats the down side of PbP unfortunately.

No, no, no...you cant deny me, you cant

Carlita, already in Taleira's arms, attempts to grapple her to the ground and kiss her herself

[roll]1d20+22[roll] grapple check

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

damn it
    (1d20+22)[34] grapple check

13. - Top - End - #1273

Taleira Ulharvyth

Taleira sinks to the ground, perfectly content to let Carlita think she has the upper hand. She'll even kiss the fallen priestess to her heart's content - without draining her. Once Carlita gets tired of that, Tali smirks up at her and inserts a little taunting. "You did have a plan beyond getting me on my back, yes? I'm quite enjoying myself, but you seem to be getting a little frustrated."
    Snickett avatar by me.

14. - Top - End - #1274

"I can damn well try!"

The power of the spellward is delivered with an instinctive and loud slap. Melinda can hardly see through her tears.

[Death ward. Touch attack - (1d20+14)[31] - SR - (1d20+17)[36]]
    [Will negates at 28 if it hits.]
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-10-19 at 11:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

Carlita accepts the kisses, however when they dont have the desired effect, she cannot understand why.
    why wont it work, why wont it WORK?
    She collapses into tears, and within moments, passes out.

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot to add in the OOC, there was also the Insanity on her in play at that

Shes out now.

16. - Top - End - #1276

Someone looking right then at Melinda's form slumped against the doorframe of the stall would really get a sense of exactly how diminutive her figure is. Her typical presence, which is usually strong enough to occupy some physical space above her, is completely absent - indeed she almost cringes from it, coming to grips with the sheer horror of what she has just done.

Power, like love, was a mirror into the soul. Ugliness, beauty, passion, indecision, sympathy, and apathy all showed clearly, for the honest to find. She'd already seen some of her own best and worst today, and it wasn't even lunchtime. The Triune's First Priestess was seriously questioning if she had it in her fibre to be Her first High Priestess. She'd completely lost her appetite.

With Carlita having fallen unconscious, Melinda heals her just so she wouldn't have to suffer insane dreams. Or something.

It really was the least she might try to do for her, after all the sheer ugliness she'd made her endure.

[Does it work? Or has Melinda's connection to any of her divines been disrupted by what she's done?]

Melinda asks the stablehand at the Star for directions to a modest but clean inn - somewhere someone like Carlita, who probably has fairly Spartan tastes and might be used to traveling on campaign, might find herself waking up after a strange night out, somewhere different, yet within her comfort zone - somewhere she would feel taken care of upon awakening, if a bit confused. A small room, barely furnished, with a window towards the street.

Her plan involves dropping Carlita off there while in disguise, and letting her sleep the afternoon off, proceeding to the temple of Glendira in the meantime. We'll sweep her up again when we go out on/out of town. If Dot can Alarm the door to her room to let us know when she moves or something, that would be great.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

Melinda's divine powers have not been disrupted by the day's events, and the healing energy flows into Carlita. There had only been one or two minor physical wounds (caused by her fall when Dot's tentacles grappled her) and they clearly disappear. As to the mental wounds, who can tell? A heal is the prescibed way to cure an Insanity spell.
    The stablehand thinks the accomodations at the Star (the one you are at now) are pretty good, and would be more than enough for her. He even offers to carry the body upstairs by back stairs for you, which would allow you to pay for the room but not have to answer questions about carrying a body around.

Paramibo is not a huge city, in the ranks of Daystor cities, it would probably be in the third or even fourth tier in terms of size. The Star is not far from it, so getting there and finding your way around is not too difficult, and given the composition of this group, easily enough people would offer directions. When you arrive, its clear to see this is indeed the temple. There are numerous priestesses, wizards and sorceresses around, all of them wearing the signature blue robes with white or yellow lightning bolts as decoration. There doesnt seem to be any organized guard, but then again, who would be absolutely nuts enough to attack a temple gaurded by uncounted numbers of wizards and sorcerers?
    The temple itself seems to be of fanciful design, the main part of the building is common enough, but there are numerous towers and secondary buildings that were clearly crafted by magic because they are all sorts of strange and exotic design and decoration. Prominent in all of them is Glendira's trademark lightning bolt.

18. - Top - End - #1278

Melinda leaves the stablehand a hefty tip for his discretion. Then she death wards herself.

As the group makes its way through the city, Melinda unconsciously steers them towards the bigger streets, and the more open squares. She is initially withdrawn. But ultimately, it is the urban atmosphere that causes her to once again turn her spirit outwards. After all, when people looked, Melinda looked back. For the cat-callers she mixed in a bit of snarkiness. For the ones who just stopped, the promise of attention, and of affection, and of a kind ear. And when they looked at her in just the right way, they would find the captivating return gaze of a Sabrinite, and a smile which faithfully transmitted the unspoken Yes, I appreciate your appreciating me.

"Lil would have enjoyed coming here," she eventually muses aloud, as they pass underneath one of the nearer spires of the temple complex. "She has taste in architecture...aah, what am I saying? She probably knows this place front and back already. Has anyone been here before? It certainly has a distinctive charm. A small town with plenty of rich wizards and rich apprentices. Intellectuals that would pay to refine their tastes."

[If the doors are open, we'll just proceed inside.]
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-10-21 at 06:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a guard, of sorts, at the front door, however he is not armed like other temple guards are. Of course, the fact that he is wearing the blue robes of Glendira means he is a spell caster of some sort, and its always wise to be wary of spellcasters. You never know when some epic wizard isnt slumming it as a temple guard.

Are you here to pay respects to the Mistress of Lightning?
    For some sort of spell casting service?
    Or are you looking for someone in particular?

20. - Top - End - #1280

"Actually, we're here on political business," the bardess, disguised as a sixteen-year-old, responds with affable charm, and some feigned disdain for the idea of politics. "My name's Pauline," she introduces herself, smiling widely. "I've been sent by my friend Melinda, who represents Sabrina, and I guess Tishtina and Nocticula too now. She wanted to schedule an audience with the High Priestess." Melinda is pulling elements out of her memory of Pauline Blackstone, and her ear for the girl's accent is pretty uncannily good. "Can you help us?"

They had been lucky to get to see Elinon without waiting. Unfortunately, she expected to have to talk through more bureaucracy this time, and she knew the Silescians had buried an informant somewhere, which warranted at least some perfunctory caution.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect thoughts, Will DC 26. It'll take one more round of concentration to get his Int score, and 2 more rounds of concentration to get his surface thoughts.
    *ding* *ding* Necklace ping to Zanthia. Melinda here, Your Holiness. 'm at Paramibo, trying to arrange a meeting with Tishtina II Bindar. If and when I see her, is there anything special you'd like me to convey? ...what is your relation to her?
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-10-21 at 10:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth, knowing the love Glendirans have for good and natural flying creatures, flaps her wings about like a bird might do in a tree.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard smiles at the display of Atareth and then turns back to "Melinda".

Im not sure exactly where she is right now, but I can take you to the main temple, that would be where she spends a lot of her free time, when shes not teaching, that is.

@Melinda
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just send her my best and Sabrina's greeting. Shes my younger...by quite a few years...sister

23. - Top - End - #1283

"High priestesses have free time?" Melinda raises her eyebrows incredulously, suppressing a genuine giggle. "Sure, we'll follow you." She shows an appreciative smile. "Does she take students from different churches?"

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone who wishes to share their knowledge of the arcane arts is welcome to study here. We dont support necromancy of any form, and the summoning of certain destructive outsiders is frowned upon, but other than that, we're pretty open-minded.

The guard leads you into a large altar room, there is a statue of Glendira, the goddess of lightning at the far end of the room. And interestingly enough, there is a woman in there, standing in front of several other women.

There are many professors of varying rank in the temple, but there is only one Teacher. And despite the connotation involved in such a nickname to be lesser than a professor, no one would ever think that of this "Teacher". It is said that no matter how slow the pupil, and how complex the spell, when Tishtina Bindar II tutors them in it, they have it grasped in 15 minutes or less. Some even say she can teach cantrips to the uninitiated. For those who have seen the face of Tishtina Bindar (and thats most of this party), there can be no mistaking this woman as being anyone other than her daughter. She turns to you as you enter.

Welcome questers, to the house of Glendira. How can we aid you on this day?

25. - Top - End - #1285

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie_D View Post
    ...and the summoning of certain destructive outsiders is frowned upon, but other than that, we're pretty open-minded.
    Dot
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, this will be interesting should anyone have a true seeing for you, huh? Maybe not Tasha, but ...
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Dot is happy to be back among the Glendirans. People who understood the value that magic could have, and respected its limitations. Drisae's mental message brings a smile to her face.

Drisae:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Indeed. Just as it was a deal breaker in your home town. What was all that about needing to challenge people, anyway? I didn't see even a hint of that anywhere."

As they enter the altar room, Dot gestures for Clyde to bring her a bit closer to the group. She slides down from his shoulder, and executes a bow, offering a greeting that incorporates a blessing of Glendira. Melinda's troubled and withdrawn countenance was not lost on Dot. Perhaps she could take just a little of the weight from the newly minted priestess' shoulders.

"Good afternoon, Lady Bindar. You honour us with a few minutes of your time. We speak on behalf of the three that are becoming one, and have a proposition you may find of interest. May we speak here, or would you prefer to go somewhere more private?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ogre in the Playground

Tishtina returns the bow, invoking a blessing of Glendira on the group

The three that are becoming one are always of interest to the faith of Glendira, given our strong historical connection to the path of Tishtina.
    You can speak here, you are among all friends here, and these people with me might prove to be of interest to you, once you outline your proposal.

28. - Top - End - #1288

Dot
    Spoiler
    Show
    Had you been alone, you'd have been challenged. Luckily, I was there to keep the mission on track.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth salutes Tishtina. "As a Tishtinite, I salute you, High Priestess of Glendira. I am Atareth. And this noble steed is Sword. I am sure news of his success at the Belmont has moved as speedily as his own hooves. We are honored to be here."
    Current Games

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: Paramibo is on the same continent and pretty much at the same latitude as Belmont Park, east of that location.

Indeed it has noble Atareth and I was there to witness the change. My mother is good at surprises.
    Now, you have a proposition for me?

Even as she speaks, it seems little sparks jump from her hands at times.