New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Erfworld question compilation thread

I figured that it might be a good idea to have all serious questions regarding Erfworld located in one centralized location so that if Rob & Jamie ever want to do Q&A pages in the book, a list of things to include in future Klogs, or, say, posting an answer to a question that just so happened to suit their fancy at that particular moment; they have a place where they can just look up the question without having to use the search engine, or delve through some threads. And I just want to say: this thread isn't for mistakes (there's already one for that); this is for general curiousities and/or requests for clarification about Erfworld.

Color coding of questions, for your convinience.

Red is for rules questions.

Blue is for things that we already know, but need a quote from one of the creators to verify.

Green is for setting questions.

Questions in here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll start off with a couple questions that have been sitting in my head.

1) What is Vinny?

2) What is Vinny's Tribe?
    2-a) Does Vinny belong to the Transylvito?

3) What are the wiener dog/goat things viewable in the first panels of these pages?

4) From one edge of a hex to the opposite edge, how large are hexes?

5) In Erfworld, what exactly does disbanding entail? Do units disappear like garbage and corpses? Do they become Barbarian units?

6) What's the Foolamancer's name?

7) What are casters that specialize in Hat Magic called?

8) What are casters that specialize in Flower Power called?

9) Is "Deletionism" listed under Naughtymancy as a jab at the Wikipedia thing of the same name? (I could use a quote here, if possible.)

10) Can units willingly leave sides and become Barbarian units?

----- Questions From The Blind -----

11) Where do casters come from?

12) Do the ... extracurricular activities ... of Erfworld's characters have any bearing on royals and nobles "popping" from cities?

13) Are dwagons the only units in the world that don't belong to a side, or are there other "tameable" units?

14) Do characters have a "natural lifespan"? Do they simply last until they are killed?

----- More Questions From Me -----

15) Is there any difference between Kings and Overlords, aside from Kings being royals?

16) What's the deal with items just disappearing? Does Erfworld have a Hammerspace? Is this some kind of natural magic? Is it that Jamie doesn't want to keep drawing them?

17) How many Chief Warlords can a side have? Just one? One per city?

18) What are Rand?

19) Are there any other names for Royal rulers aside from King and Queen?

20) Beyond the seven types that Stanley has (Blue, Brown, Green, Pink, Purple, Red, and Yellow) are there other types of Dwagons?

21) What can a Chief Warlord do to a caster?

22) How do classes work?

23) What's with those floating balls of light?

24) What's Parson's full middle name?

25) Do Erfworlders bleed... at all?

26) Do Heavy units, like, Twolls count as infantry for being promoted to Warlords?

27) Do magic items and artifacts dematerialize like garbage? (For instance, would Manpower's sword, if it is magical at all, still be at the bottom of that lake where it fell?)
    Last edited by Justyn; 2008-03-04 at 06:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Erfworld question compilation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    have all serious questions regarding Erfworld located in one centralized location
    Most of the questions raised in Klog #5 are still open (production, casters ... unit stats ...).
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

I usually have tons of these questions, but now that I'd have to write them down, they're all gone. I'll think about it.

I have one answer, though:

8) Hippiemancers use Flower Power, as per Sizemore in the Glade of the Hippiemancers. (#11)

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind View Post
    8) Hippiemancers use Flower Power, as per Sizemore in the Glade of the Hippiemancers. (#11)
    Well, I would assume that because Flower Power is one of the disciplines of the Hippiemancy class, that most, if not all of those for who specialize in Flower Power are Hippiemancers, but not all Hippiemancers specialize in Flower Power.

But, I could be wrong; as of yet, no information has been given from the the creators on this particular subject.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh, I see. I misunderstood you and forgot about that handy chart, too.

Flower Powermancer doesn't really roll off the tongue. Power doesn't have a ready-made word for someone who uses it, does it? Hat Magician, Deletionist, ... Flower Powerer? Flower child? Flowerer (actually a real word)? Definitely unanswered.

Thought of a few questions; I'll add them to this post or a later one tomorrow.

Edited - Questions:
    1. Where do casters come from?
    2. Do the ... extracurricular activities ... of Erfworld's characters have any bearing on royals and nobles "popping" from cities?
    3. Are dwagons the only units in the world that don't belong to a side, or are there other "tameable" units?
    4. Do characters have a "natural lifespan"? Do they simply last until they are killed?
    Last edited by The Blind; 2008-01-31 at 06:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Added eight more questions:

15) Is there any difference between Kings and Overlords, aside from Kings being royals?

16) What's the deal with items just disappearing? Does Erfworld have a Hammerspace? Is this some kind of natural magic? Is it that Jamie doesn't want to keep drawing them?

17) How many Chief Warlords can a side have? Just one? One per city?

18) What are Rand?

20) Beyond the seven types that Stanley has (Blue, Brown, Green, Pink, Purple, Red, and Yellow) are there other types of Dwagons?

22) How do classes work?

Also, I added up all the questions up in the fist post.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    3) What are the wiener dog/goat things viewable in the first panels of these pages?
    Odds on they're battering rams (or should that be battering wams?).

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenputtyknife View Post
    Odds on they're battering rams (or should that be battering wams?).
    I was thinking on more around the lines of "what are they called", but I would assume that they would be some kind of siege unit.

And some more questions, and I'll be instatuting a color-coding system.

* What's with those floating balls of light?

* What's Parson's full middle name?

* Do Erfworlders bleed... at all?

* Do Heavy units, like, Twolls count as infantry for being promoted to Warlords?

* Do magic items and artifacts dematerialize like garbage? (For instance, would Manpower's sword, if it is magical, still be at the bottom of that lake where it fell?)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

1. Where do casters come from?
    From treasury. You buy them (Wanda never been a child)

2. Do the ... extracurricular activities ... of Erfworld's characters have any bearing on royals and nobles "popping" from cities?
    No (Gillian popped up)

4. Do characters have a "natural lifespan"? Do they simply last until they are killed?
    Seems yes. No one is too young or too old, by now.

It's a game. Anything not fitting anymore is purged.

Vinnie seems to be a Royal and leader, and still a Count (for pun reason, but still)

Disband, or send as a infantry. Or worse, Link.

Does he have to have one?

* Do Erfworlders bleed... at all?
    Seems no. Gillian didn't bleed, even if heavily wounded under torture.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio View Post
    It's a game. Anything not fitting anymore is purged.
    In retrospect, I probably should put that one as blue...

Vinnie seems to be a Royal and leader, and still a Count (for pun reason, but still)
    Vinny is a Noble, not a Royal, and something tells me that he isn't his faction's leader.

Does he have to have one?
    Parson's middle initial is "A." I'm curious. They already gave us his birthday; which is coincidentally, twenty four years to the day before Erfworld was launched. Great gift, huh?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn
    Parson's middle initial is "A." I'm curious.
    I missed, really. Where it's given?
    Anyway, at this point I suppose is middle name is "Assbooped".

Edit: got. Thanks.

Laurentio
    Last edited by Laurentio; 2008-03-04 at 07:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hey hey, friendly neighborhood art monkey here. Most of these will be answered by the end of the first chapter here, some will be left unanswered for future stories, and a few will be answered right now!

I'll answer the ones I can and leave the others out.

Cute, ain't they! I won't tell you what they are, but we will get to see them again before the Battle for Gobwin Knob is through.

10) Can units willingly leave sides and become Barbarian units?

There's enough information in the comic now that you could make an educated guess about this one.

12) Do the ... extracurricular activities ... of Erfworld's characters have any bearing on royals and nobles "popping" from cities?

Again, you can make an educated guess regarding this one. Remember Wanda's surprise when Parson mentions "children."

In some instances, they're honest mistakes on my part. Parson's watch is a good example of this. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. We've demonstrated that magical items like the EyeBooks are resize able. So you can shrink them down and put them in your pocket.

23) What's with those floating balls of light?

They light stuff. And they float.

25) Do Erfworlders bleed... at all?

Seen any spurting blood yet?

27) Do magic items and artifacts dematerialize like garbage? (For instance, would Manpower's sword, if it is magical at all, still be at the bottom of that lake where it fell?)

Remember when Jillian was first nabbed and she dropper her hat and sword? Those were recovered by Webinar's group.

That's probably all I can get away with answering now without spoiling too much.
    Last edited by jami; 2008-03-11 at 02:36 PM.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

1. I've always wondered why you changed Parson's eyes, Jami. His eyes are his single, most identifying, physical characteristic (other then his lack of stats, which has only been mentioned by another character once). It's well worth keeping for that reason, even if it requires slightly more work to draw. Why did you change them so they looked like everyone else?

2. I've been going over the character list and looking at the strengths and weaknesses of all the listed cast members. You seem to have managed to get them all shown except for one (possibly 2, Sizemore seems to have sufficient "effectiveness" at his job). That one being Wanda's "capacity for hope" now, originally I assumed that that was why she collapsed in the first place. Because when the dwagons got destroyed she felt there was no hope left and she went despondent. However, that is not the case and in this latest update she looks ready to battle more.

So was this a a weakness mistake or is there something coming up that will showcase this aspect of her?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Man, I haven't logged in in a long time...
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    1. I've always wondered why you changed Parson's eyes, Jami. His eyes are his single, most identifying, physical characteristic (other then his lack of stats, which has only been mentioned by another character once). It's well worth keeping for that reason, even if it requires slightly more work to draw. Why did you change them so they looked like everyone else?
    My take on it is; he's slowly becoming an Erfworlder, going deeper and deeper into it. If you examine the art as the storyline goes on, he becomes more cartoonish the deeper into the story you go.
    Spoiler
    Show

This post has been approved.

Court Jester and Chef of Odd Things To Serve At Banquets of House Kato.

Thrice Wow'd. Quarterly Praiss'd. Four Hundred & Seventy Six Times Smil'd. My Photobucket.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

As I understand, Erfworld is intended to go into print at some point, likely once chapter 1 is finished. Do Rob and Jamie have a cover done/sketched/in mind? Can we see it? Please? Pretty please?

Spoiler
    Show

24) What's Parson's full middle name?
    A) If he has one, my guess is some rearrangement of "hero".
    Last edited by lamguin; 2008-04-26 at 11:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Man, I haven't logged in in a long time...

My take on it is; he's slowly becoming an Erfworlder, going deeper and deeper into it. If you examine the art as the storyline goes on, he becomes more cartoonish the deeper into the story you go.

Perhaps so. The only way to find out for sure it to have him tell us. I'd appreciate an answer as this is a question I have wondered for a long, long time.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2008-08-05 at 01:58 AM.