New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Default How your computer operating system kills your computer

You have a computer. Every so often you get directed to make a "must have" download for security reasons, from the people who made the software that keeps your computer running. Each time that you do this, your operating system becomes a little bit larger and consumes a little bit more of your RAM just to operate.

This is an attack upon good sense. It is a way of dealing with customers as if they were a captive audience. This is tried and true b^&54it.

How do you deal with it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How your computer operating system kills your computer

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
    You have a computer. Every so often you get directed to make a "must have" download for security reasons, from the people who made the software that keeps your computer running. Each time that you do this, your operating system becomes a little bit larger and consumes a little bit more of your RAM just to operate.

This is an attack upon good sense. It is a way of dealing with customers as if they were a captive audience. This is tried and true b^&54it.

How do you deal with it?
    By turning off automatic updates. They're only "mandatory" if your computer knows about them.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    By turning off automatic updates. They're only "mandatory" if your computer knows about them.
    Do not do this.

Security updates are there for a reason, to plug security holes. If you go running around with an unpatched system, you are not only asking for trouble, but being a bad internet neighbour - as your computer is often then used to attack and hurt others.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

You're also working from a false premise. The security downloads provided for Windows, Linux etc. more often than not *replace* an existing component, they don't add on top of it! If you're looking for the thing that tends to make your OS bloat over time, then I'm afraid it's almost certainly in the chair, not in the computer--it's the user who installs all the cool gizmos and software that come along, and then wonder why it takes 23 minutes for their system to boot.

5. - Top - End - #5

If you have problems managing running programs, I recommend Soluto. It's a really nifty tool, but I mostly use it for keeping unnecessary junk out of my boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You're also working from a false premise. The security downloads provided for Windows, Linux etc. more often than not *replace* an existing component, they don't add on top of it! If you're looking for the thing that tends to make your OS bloat over time, then I'm afraid it's almost certainly in the chair, not in the computer--it's the user who installs all the cool gizmos and software that come along, and then wonder why it takes 23 minutes for their system to boot.
    Exactly. And it's not the OS that keeps adding to the overhead, it's all the OTHER programs that you install that want to automatically start their own update routines during bootup. For Windows users, msconfig is your friend, although you still want a handful of packages to keep looking for updates for the same security reasons: Main Browser, Office, Flash, Java, Anti-Virus, any other high-use or automatically launched add-on/plugin. Most everything else I set to only check when I actually launch the program, so I still get timely updates, they just don't add to the boot wait.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

A word of advice - don't go turning programs off in msconfig if you're not sure what you're doing.

Programs like CCleaner are also excellent for keeping your registry streamlined and your startup programs to minimum.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Do not do this.

Security updates are there for a reason, to plug security holes. If you go running around with an unpatched system, you are not only asking for trouble, but being a bad internet neighbour - as your computer is often then used to attack and hurt others.
    So updates aren't always useless/change what your browser is?
    Darn. I wish I had realized that sooner. I think that's what hurt my main computer(not letting the security updates run).
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-11-14 at 03:15 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    So updates aren't always useless/change what your browser is?
    Depends on what the update is. I've got my Windows Update set to notify, so I can see what I'm installing.
    Security updates are pretty much mandatory. Functionality or bug fixing patches are dependent on whether I have that software/hardware installed and whether I need whatever it is they're patching for.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Do not do this.

Living on the edge, baby

Ah, the infamous IBM* error. God knows I've been subjected to it often enough

*Idiot before monitor.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post

*Idiot before monitor.
    Aka PEBCAK, or ID-ten-T USR error.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

There is rules here about offering professional advice, But here is something I express to people

If the Idiots on you tube can figure it out.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvbV...eature=related

Those updates help keep the scriptkiddies out of your machine. I advise you to install them. Yes they will take up more room on your machine. Yes some of them will upset system stability when there is installed software that exploits system files.

If your window updates are making your system unstable. I would advise a format and re install, You may very well have a rootkit in there that has hijacked several system files and dll's. Windows updates sometimes make rootkited systems unstable due to file conflicts.

Regardless keep your credit info off of that machine.
    If you wish to have a voice chat, Send me a PM and we can arrange it. Provided you use skype.

I do not give permission for posts may be used for research purposes unless written permission is given.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I was told the most common computer error is usually in the end user's DNA..

The thing about updates isn't that they're unneeded, it's that they're completely annoying and pop up way too often (case in point: Firefox, which had almost daily version updates for the better part of a year before I gave up and turned them off completely). They also more often than not break something with an "improvement" that isn't an improvement at all (i.e. especially interface overhauls that make something more shiny but less usable because controls are missing from their usual places).

Finally, some programs like Java or anything Adobe ever that isn't $1k software will want an almost daily update that disrupts your routine by doing stuff like making you restart computer/browser, and making you wait all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you have problems managing running programs, I recommend Soluto. It's a really nifty tool, but I mostly use it for keeping unnecessary junk out of my boot.
    I don't hear this program brought up a great deal but it is amazing...amazing for finding out what is slowing your boot down.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Assuming each update did indeed consume more memory, I'd rather lose RAM to the update than to the malware that slipped in while the system was unpatched.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    I was told the most common computer error is usually in the end user's DNA..

The thing about updates isn't that they're unneeded, it's that they're completely annoying and pop up way too often (case in point: Firefox, which had almost daily version updates for the better part of a year before I gave up and turned them off completely). They also more often than not break something with an "improvement" that isn't an improvement at all (i.e. especially interface overhauls that make something more shiny but less usable because controls are missing from their usual places).

Finally, some programs like Java or anything Adobe ever that isn't $1k software will want an almost daily update that disrupts your routine by doing stuff like making you restart computer/browser, and making you wait all the time.
    If you don't want to be subject to Firefox's absolutely ludicrous update schedule, then use the Extended Support Release. It's a feature locked release that only receives security and stability updates to this schedule.

Though, I no longer recommend Firefox at all.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

I think saying that things like Java or Adobe Reader require daily updates is a massive exaggeration anyway. According to the Java control panel on the machine I'm typing this on my Java only checks for updates once a month anyway. I can only think of one Adobe Reader update my machine has needed in the last month or two, as well.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I can only think of one Adobe Reader update my machine has needed in the last month or two, as well.
    The Adobe update checker does have a irritating habit of re-inserting itself into your startup programs after every update though.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Well, yes, how would it check for updates otherwise? I'm pretty sure it gives you the option, though--you can tell it to never check for updates and just do it manually if you want to.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I do have a solution to Ghostwheel's problem. Strip out Windows and install OS/2 Warp. That way he won't be troubled by updates *OR* malware!

What do you mean he actually wants to run programs?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yes, how would it check for updates otherwise? I'm pretty sure it gives you the option, though--you can tell it to never check for updates and just do it manually if you want to.
    I know you set it to manual updates only, but it still puts the autoupdate program into startup regardless.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I do have a solution to Ghostwheel's problem. Strip out Windows and install OS/2 Warp. That way he won't be troubled by updates *OR* malware!

What do you mean he actually wants to run programs?
    Or just install Linux. There are a whole bunch of Linux programmers out there rewriting it so that it is tighter, smaller, and faster. And Linux has an incredibly large number of useful apps.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    Or just install Linux. There are a whole bunch of Linux programmers out there rewriting it so that it is tighter, smaller, and faster. And Linux has an incredibly large number of useful apps.
    And that completely misses the point that The Succubus was making entirely.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Aka PEBCAK, or ID-ten-T USR error.
    I prefer the "Insufficient User Error" variant myself.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    *facepalm*

Though, I no longer recommend Firefox at all.
    Why?

It might not be as superior as it once was, but still, Chrome and Opera lag far behind, at least for the power user. Did anything changed while I wasn't looking?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    Linux: the only completely legal OS where 99.9% content does not exist or is illegal

So, yeah, if you don't need games, multimedia, office, music editing, graphics/3D programs*, want to install everything by writing "AptGreptGzipt PrgrmNme_1.0974alfa -12347it -nosound -t -x -y -x -param:ctrl -abcd" into command line and by chance the only thing you want to do is to run web server, Linux is just for you!

*There are some minor exceptions to above, but it's like arguing tricycle is good replacement for a car.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to have Linux as a secondary OS on my new computer. I can't wait to see how Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, Dungeons of Dredmor and possily Dota 2 run through the brand new Steam client for Linux.

ANy penguinistas out there care to suggest a flavour? I've heard bad things about Ubuntu and I'm currently looking at Linux Mint.

Also, Open Office is a more than capable replacement for Microsoft Office. Or there's Libre Office.

Inkscape, the program a large percentage of our Arts and Crafts community uses for avatars is originally a Linux program and comes pre installed with many distros.

Don't underestimate the penguin, young pony!

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Why?

It might not be as superior as it once was, but still, Chrome and Opera lag far behind, at least for the power user. Did anything changed while I wasn't looking?
    How do I hate thee, let me count the reasons.

Their upgrade cycle is pathetic. They change things and break things such as compatibility far too readily and quickly. And don't get me started on the version numbering scheme, I know this is purely aesthetic, but... *shakes head*

It's not actually all that fast, despite claims (not a negative, but a lack of a positive).

It's an absolute memory hog. Leave it running any decent amount of time with any reasonable amount of tabs open and it starts to slow things right down. Heck, it happens even on one tab. Not just the browser window, the entire computer. This is by design, not a memory leak or other bug.

The interface, while still quite usable, has not improved, but unimproved (yes, I did check that word in the dictionary, because it didn't feel right).

Mac users should absolutely, positively, stay clear of Firefox. It is lacking integration with the Keychain (!), dictionary/encylopedia look up function (very frustrating), other system functions, and retina display support.

I'll say this one again, lack of retina display support for Mac users. Something that has existed in Safari, Chrome, and Opera for quite a while.

Generally poor support for Mac users.

Back on Windows for now on, the automatic updater sometimes fails, then decides to use the full upgrade, which also fails.

The automatic updater sometimes decides to do an upgrade, whether you like it or not, even if you instruct it that you do not want to perform that upgrade. Yes, I was delaying an upgrade on a particular PC for development reasons, yes, this did happen to me.

Various other reasons I'm too slack to bother remembering now, but might add later as I remember them.

I would no longer recommend Firefox, not even for power users.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

How do I hate thee, let me count the reasons.

It's an absolute memory hog. Leave it running any decent amount of time with any reasonable amount of tabs open and it starts to slow things right down. Heck, it happens even on one tab. Not just the browser window, the entire computer. This is by design, not a memory leak or other bug.
    I noticed this one as well, which prompted me to switch to Chrome.

Back on Windows for now on, the automatic updater on sometimes fails, then decides to use the full upgrade, which also fails.
    Thunderbird, which I'm still using, also has this problem, at least on Win7 - do you know any way to stop it, or is there an alternate program you'd recommend that I could replace it with?
    This space intentionally left blank

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I would no longer recommend Firefox, not even for power users.
    Fair enough - which browsers would you recommend for optimum OotS oggling pleasure?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I'm going to have Linux as a secondary OS on my new computer. I can't wait to see how Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, Dungeons of Dredmor and possily Dota 2 run through the brand new Steam client for Linux.
    One issue - drivers. Demanding 3D games need all the power they can get, they don't like to have only 50% of the power because of third rate attention given to platform they run on.

ANy penguinistas out there care to suggest a flavour? I've heard bad things about Ubuntu and I'm currently looking at Linux Mint.
    Hint - look what has easiest installation methods and largest repositories, Linux is sooo fun when halfway through installation you find out critical package dependencies are nowhere to be found in your distro's repository and you have to voodoo recompile them to finish install, absolutely favourite pastime of everyone wanting his PC to just work!

Also, Open Office is a more than capable replacement for Microsoft Office. Or there's Libre Office.
    Only if you don't need minor thing called compatibility with .doc and .xml files. I saw results of trying to read and save .docs on these, it wasn't pretty.

I mostly use office to make legal papers I am giving to various officials at public institutions, getting even one of these wrong would cost me more than MS Office costs.

Inkscape, the program a large percentage of our Arts and Crafts community uses for avatars is originally a Linux program and comes pre installed with many distros.
    I use Corel Suite. There is no open source graphic program that gets colour representation right if you want to print it on anything more professional than ink printer. Again, cost of suite is less than ruining an order due to badly implemented non-professional program. Inkscape is good for amateur dabbling in the avatar drawings, not so good at DTP.

Don't underestimate the penguin, young pony!
    I had to use it for five years, for uni. For the record? Linux won't even legally play DVD back then, it was all *wink wink* reverse-engineered code that technically did not differ from pirated Windows stuff in legality, thank you. I still use Linux for programming, HDD operations, and web servers, but as an general use OS, it's so atrocious I'd prefer to use MacOS instead, and it's saying something. You are non-power user? Spare yourself a few hundred dollars that fixing repair costs of Linux will do and just forget it, IMHO.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"