New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: An ambitious dream: Statting Touhou girls with 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post

Title notwithstanding, I did always did feel that Remilia was closer to the original myth of the vampire as having diabolic ancestors than the typical modern-day vampire (who is afflicted by some sort of virus that makes them more good-looking).
    Hmm, I'd never heard that before, but if it's true then that's brilliant; I just got an idea: she could be a tiefling with the feat from Races of Faerun that gives tieflings and Aasimar wings (I think it's called Outsider Wings or something) and a fly speed equal to their landspeed.

That still leaves the issue of her being a native outsider, which vampire can't technically be applied to, but I feel much more lenient to it than the more dramatic half-fiend. Thoughts on this or other ideas? We should also try to find some way to increase her speed, 'cause she moves crazy fast in the fighting games.

Necromancy doesn't consist entirely of undead creation. It even has healing spells. Gungnir could be Finger of Death.

Here's a bunch of spells: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...sg8076#msg8076
    True enough, but that still leaves the issue of Remilia not really using any effects like that; it seems to me that she does more blasting than anything else.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know what reference this site got its description of the vampire of, but it seems she is closer to a fiend than to the common vampiric archetype.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #33

I don't know what reference this site got its description of the vampire of, but it seems she is closer to a fiend than to the common vampiric archetype.
    In a way, but really only in that they're lumped together with all the other 'monsters' of Gensokyo (Oni, youkai, etc); that wiki and the games themselves state that the Scarlet Sisters have basically all of the 'traditional' weaknesses of vampires, as well as many, if not all, of their abilities/strengths (which come largely from Dracula of course).

The vampire template has all those weaknesses and abilities built in, while with the half-fiend template the bloodsucking/sun-hating etc would be mere fluff, and we would have to find some other way for her to turn into a bat.

4. - Top - End - #34

Bump...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

No need to bump if it's only been less than a day. Threads here die after a month and a half.

I'm pretty much out of ideas about Remilia; I still think bending the rules and making her a half-fiend vampire warlock is the way to go.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

6. - Top - End - #36

No need to bump if it's only been less than a day. Threads here die after a month and a half.
    But there's a difference between being alive and being noticed .

Okay okay, so we use your idea or mine to give her wings while still being a vampire, make her a warlock with dark foresight, maybe eldritch glaive/spear, flee the scene, probably eldritch cone (refluffed as being made up of many small blasts), etc. Also I think eldritch doom works great for Scarlet Devil (affects everything within 20 feet, which would include straight up).

Any other invocations that would be appropriate? See the Unseen could work, because in Imperishable Night she was able to see the human village even though Keine had hidden it, though it could be more like she just made her will save vs an illusion effect.

Maybe give her anklets of translocation or something (probably refluffed as cute, frilly socks of translocation). It would still be nice to have a way to increase her movement speed, but I'm blanking on ways that don't involve strange class dips or magic items.

So basically all this, and a high dex score, probably a high strength score (18-20 ought to be fine, since I for one haven't seen her do anything too tremendous with her strength).

If no one has any more thoughts on Miss Scarlet though, then I guess we should move on; next I propose... maybe Marisa, Suika, or Yuugi.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Devil View Post
    If no one has any more thoughts on Miss Scarlet though, then I guess we should move on; next I propose... maybe Marisa, Suika, or Yuugi.
    Marisa: Look in BoED for star-themed spells.

Suika: Many of her abilities are best represented through spells, so while drunken master would seem natural it doesn't really work. Given that she also needs high physical strength, I'd make this a gestalt build. (see post)
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-12-27 at 08:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Marisa can probably be a Wizard (since she does study Magic), and I also thought Alchemist Savant would be a good PrC for her to fit her potions and thrown vials. Sorcerer seems more appropriate for blasting, but eh, the slower spell progression hurts.

I always thought Master Spark could be modeled by rainbow blast, while Final Spark could be an explosive prismatic spray.

Orreries Sun could be prismatic eye.

For metamagic shenanigans she could possibly take Incantatrix. Explosive Maximized Widened prismatic spray!

9. - Top - End - #39

Wizard seems to make sense for her thematically, but I'd say she has inexplicably few spells in her spellbook (mostly blasting spells). Evoker works better of course, for the extra spells per day (because the Touhou girls don't exactly keep much in reserve when they start blasting), and it's a simple matter to choose her restricted schools (maybe necromancy and enchantment).

The prismatic spells work pretty well, ish, but some of their random effects are a little weird, like turning people to stone and whatnot. I think she definitely needs lots of metamagic, like sculpt spell, explosive spell, maximize/empower (and maybe their sudden versions), etc. All her lasers could probably be rainbow beams, or maybe blast of force (LoM).

Edit: Incantatrix seems like a good call too.
    Last edited by Scarlet-Devil; 2010-12-27 at 10:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

If we are doing Marisa, we shouldn't forget the Eight Trigram Elemental Reactor aka Mini-Hakkero.
    "The moon tonight is red. You will know death."
    - Remilia Scarlet

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Altarus View Post
    If we are doing Marisa, we shouldn't forget the Eight Trigram Elemental Reactor aka Mini-Hakkero.
    Very true; any thoughts on what it could possibly be though? Maybe it could be treated like a metamagic rod or something, but it's actually supposed to 'fuel' her master spark, which implies that she can't normally cast master spark without it. In that case it might be effectively more like a staff or something (with metamagicked prismatic spray).

12. - Top - End - #42

Anyway, another girl I'd really like to try to work out is Captain Murasa, the ghost of a young lady who drowned at sea more than a thousand years ago. Her powers include flight (obviously), the ability to capsize ships, 'wield'(?) one or several anchors, presumably with great force, and something to do with a special ladle, possibly something that lets her use water offensively.

Honestly I'm not really sure where to start... Anyone know the damage of an anchor?
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

How about Hijiri Byakuren?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Byakuren strikes me as a cleric/wizard/mystic theurge (or maybe Shugenja?) with the Saint template. Not sure how to model her immortality, though.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, another girl I'd really like to try to work out is Captain Murasa, the ghost of a young lady who drowned at sea more than a thousand years ago. Her powers include flight (obviously), the ability to capsize ships, 'wield'(?) one or several anchors, presumably with great force, and something to do with a special ladle, possibly something that lets her use water offensively.

Honestly I'm not really sure where to start... Anyone know the damage of an anchor?
    Dread pirate/Hulking hurler?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

I'll freely admit that the one i'm the most interested in seeing what you could come up with for is Keine. Mostly just to see the hair pulling over how to describe her history manipulation, but also simply because she's one of my favorite characters. Really, recently her and Mokou have probably become my absolute favorites.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    I'll freely admit that the one i'm the most interested in seeing what you could come up with for is Keine. Mostly just to see the hair pulling over how to describe her history manipulation, but also simply because she's one of my favorite characters. Really, recently her and Mokou have probably become my absolute favorites.
    Best I can think of is forbiddance and the Coat Hanger trick (similar to Locate City Bomb, modifies a spell that sees into the past to deal damage). Or just go with miracle.

There aren't many time-manipulating spells, especially not long-scale ones.

EDIT: Let's go psionic. There is a monster that eats peoples' time (which is even capable of caving people). Also time regression + time hop + timeless body. Reality revision can also "undo misfortune". Psionic sequester can "remove" people to a limited extent. Hyperconscious has erase presence which makes enemies unable to notice your allies for a while. Psychic reformation and mindwipe can handle the history of peoples' experiences. Hypercognition lets her see history. Dimensional oubliette is also nice, as is dimensional storage.

Any way to increase the weight limit on the latter two powers?

See BG thread.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-01-06 at 11:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Best I can think of is forbiddance and the Coat Hanger trick (similar to Locate City Bomb, modifies a spell that sees into the past to deal damage). Or just go with miracle.

There aren't many time-manipulating spells, especially not long-scale ones.

EDIT: Let's go psionic. There is a monster that eats peoples' time (which is even capable of caving people). Also time regression + time hop + timeless body. Reality revision can also "undo misfortune". Psionic sequester can "remove" people to a limited extent. Hyperconscious has erase presence which makes enemies unable to notice your allies for a while. Psychic reformation and mindwipe can handle the history of peoples' experiences. Hypercognition lets her see history. Dimensional oubliette is also nice, as is dimensional storage.

Any way to increase the weight limit on the latter two powers?

See BG thread.
    Mmm, that's one way to do it; in the game though some people were able to 'see' the village even after she had hidden it, which implies that it may've been more like an illusion; a powerful, wide-spread illusion that caused anyone outside the village to perceive it as mere wilderness. It would also be nice to find some way to represent her were-hakutaku status, you know, in a non-large, humanoid form that still retains her caving abilities. Ah, something like Antipathy (youkai, if that works...) might be good too.

Hulking hurler is certainly one idea for the good Captain, but it requires you to be large... Whatever she is she's probably really strong considering that she can throw anchors around, and I suspect from her story that she's some kind of sorcerer or something, with spells that attack with water (and I can't think of many of those, certainly none that resemble orbs or bullets).
    Last edited by Scarlet-Devil; 2011-01-06 at 01:02 PM.
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

non-large
    That's what dungeonbred is for. It reduces your size by one category. And mechanically it's no different from a biped, so there's no reason it can't be described as one.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Byakuren strikes me as a cleric/wizard/mystic theurge (or maybe Shugenja?) with the Saint template. Not sure how to model her immortality, though.
    With Improved Unarmed Strike, or maybe monk levels, too, since she's described as buffing herself with magic, then laying the smackdown on her opponents.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFish View Post
    With Improved Unarmed Strike, or maybe monk levels, too, since she's described as buffing herself with magic, then laying the smackdown on her opponents.
    In that case, Unarmed Swordsage/Wizard/Jade Phoenix Mage? (That's what I was thinking for Mokou, though)

22. - Top - End - #52

Well, I'm going to kind of go out on a limb and guess that Captain Murasa might be something like a Drowned(MM3) Battle Sorcerer/Sea witch, who throws anchors and only casts water related spells.

Also, Yuugi is a badarse, not really sure what she would be statistically though, aside from her race being (reduced)Common Oni (OA) or Ogre Mage.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would say Drunken Master since it has booze. But that won't work since you can't manipulate supernatural phenomena with it.
    - Remilia Scarlet

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'm going to kind of go out on a limb and guess that Captain Murasa might be something like a Drowned(MM3) Battle Sorcerer/Sea witch, who throws anchors and only casts water related spells.
    Hulking hurler/bloodstorm blade? For rapid-fire anchors.

I would say Drunken Master since it has booze. But that won't work since you can't manipulate supernatural phenomena with it.
    Well it does grant... *sunglasses* spiritual powers.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-01-27 at 11:07 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't forget that Yugi has ranks in balance, since her sake NOT EVEN DROP
    - Remilia Scarlet

26. - Top - End - #56

Don't forget that Yugi has ranks in balance, since her sake NOT EVEN DROP
    Yes, a good thing to keep in mind (and one of the few things we know about her abilities). Her power "to control supernatural phenomena" is easily one of the vaguest ones out there. For some reason I like to imagine her throwing people around, and maybe breaking things with her hands, so I was thinking Swordsage(or unarmed swordsage)/Warlock or something... for now. Although it's an easy assumption to make that she's Reduced, so she'd need to have some way to change her size at will I guess (as she's probably an ogre mage or common Oni).

27. - Top - End - #57

Well, her grueling appearance in Subterranean Animism not withstanding, Hisoutensoku has inspired me to take a crack at Miss Utsuho Reiuji.

And, what do we know about her? She's a hell raven, a Yatagarasu, who gained the power to control nuclear fusion by consuming a god hidden within the flames of hell, which she maintained. She also has one of the coolest character designs I've ever seen, with her long black (or possibly dark brown) hair, big red 'eye' on her chest, black feathery wings, large white cape hanging over her wings with the night sky as a 'lining', etc etc. Keep in mind that she has a special 'arm cannon' of sorts, which helps her to regulate her powers somehow, and one of her feet is encased in rock (in Hisoutensoku, she uses both of these in her melee attacks).

So, what in the hells is 'nuclear fusion' in D&D? Well, I don't know, but considering the utterly massive temperatures involved with nuclear fusion, hellfire (which is hotter than any normal fire) seems a good place to turn. In fact, over at Brilliant Gameologists she's already been (partially) statted as a Hellfire Warlock.

If she is a Hellfire Warlock, how do we explain the frequency with which she uses her hellfire blasts (she would rack up CON damage pretty quickly...)? For her shield abilities, I suppose Entropic Warding could serve... but what else? Wall of Perilous Flame might be a good invocation for her, and Eldritch Cone and possibly Doom would serve well, maybe Repelling Blast too, just 'cause in the fighting games attacks are always knocking people away/prone.

Anyway, bring some ideas .

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

If she is a Hellfire Warlock, how do we explain the frequency with which she uses her hellfire blasts (she would rack up CON damage pretty quickly...)?
    Every hellfire warlock ever takes a level of binder and binds Naberius for the ability score equivalent of fast healing 1. In Utsuho's case you can say Naberius is the god she ate.

Don't forget the Tome build which can spam meteor swarm and a fire version of storm of vengeance, while ignoring resistance to fire.

Otherwise you could go with Sanctified One of Kord to convert fire into divine damage ('cuz it comes from a god you see).

Or look up the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Radiance (fire + positive energy)

The reth dakala from ToB have "balefire"(?) which deals half fire and half acid damage.

If you want to whack people with the Third Leg maybe renegade mastermaker.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-02-10 at 05:04 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Yeah, Binder just seems slightly iffy to me... partly because it requires you to lose a Warlock level, which causes you to lose a die of Eldritch Blast damage and a Dark invocation. One, equally iffy, alternative would be to say that her shirt (with the big red eye) is enchanted to be +1 Soulfire (though a lesser version would probably be more appropriate).

I'll have to look into the Sanctified of Kord later, but they all look like decent suggestions. What does the Swordsage level in the Tome build do, though?

30. - Top - End - #60

Well, inspired by a quick look through the Dragon Magic invocations I'm gonna stick with the Warlock idea, so here's what I've got:

Utsuho Reiuji (Warlock version, based largely on Hisoutensoku)
    Spoiler
    Show
    CN/E? Female Hell-raven (Half-fiend)
    Warlock 17/Hellfire Warlock 3
    HD: 20D6+20?
    Attacks: Third Leg +16/+11/+6(+STR) Melee (1d6+2+STR), or Unarmed Strike +14/+9/+4 Melee (2d6+STR), or Hellfire Blast +14(+DEX) Ranged Touch (17d6/x2)
    STR: ? DEX: ? CON: 13+ INT: low WIS: ? CHA: ?

Invocations
    Least: Entropic Warding, ?, ?
    Lesser: Brimstone Blast, Ignore the Pyre(?), ?
    Greater: Eldritch Cone, Eldritch Line, Repelling Blast, Wall of Perilous Flame(?)
    Dark: Eldritch Doom, ?, ?

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest), Superior Unarmed Strike, Empower/Maximize/Quicken Spell-like Ability: EB, Extra Invocation (Greater)?

Items: Third Leg (Warlock's Scepter permanently attached to locked gauntlet; can be used in place of a hand for Invocation somatic components), Badass Cape of the Night Sky (Greater 'Cloak' of Fell Power)

Soulmelds: Eye of the Yatagarasu (Strongheart Vest)

Her badass cape definitely seems magical; if we were to take liberties and give it to her as a magic item, it might be something like a Greater Cape of Fell Power(Chasuble of Fell Power)/Cape of Charisma +6, or something defensive.

Modified: For race, I made a generic 'demon' out of a stripped human (no skill/feat bonus) with the Half-fiend template. Given all the spell-likes and junk that half-fiends get though, doing the same thing with the Fiendish (and maybe Winged) template might be better; in fact, this might come in handy a lot for this project.
    Last edited by Scarlet-Devil; 2011-02-11 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Improvement