New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Character Builder Thread

Hello!

I was hoping for help with two concepts I had in mind. I would appreciate a level by level spec for levels 1-20 for both. For both concepts, all official sourcebooks are available minus psionics and ToB. Any aligment, stats with 30 point buy.

1st concept:

With this concept I was hoping to create a sneaking melee caster. I wanted a character who uses sneak attacks gained with feat tricks and summoned monster flanking, and spellcasting with swift spells and metamagic quickening. He would also have some big blasts for ranged casting.

Requirements:
    -PHB race preferred
    -I was thinking Cleric/Shadowbane Stalker but main class priorities are acquiring a high divine caster level with decent spell DC and high sneak attack dice.
    -Combat build

I have a basic build made up for this, but any ideas and tips for optimising it are appreciated.

2nd concept:

I've always dreamed of playing a succubus-type energy drainer, who gains power (usually temp HPs) by sucking it from foes. Still, until now I've been unable to make a character with this concept. I've tried making a build using the base Monster Manual entry taking +LA, and the succubus class build from Savage Species, but they have three main problems for me:
    1) Low combat power and HPs throughout the leveling cycle.
    2) Energy draining gained at a fairly high level
    3) Charming abilities overpowered, which tends to get my concept banned

Requirements:
    -Succubus expected but any and all races considered
    -Energy draining or similar power gaining ability at a early level
    -Arcane casting power is a bonus.
    -Charming powers a bonus but not required.
    -Any alignment
    -Combat build

Due to above problems, I don't have a build made with this. I tried making a character using the Savage Species progression by myself and tried leveling her up by pitting her solo against CR appropriate random encounters. Lack of armor proficiency and limitations of Alternate form (humanoid!) proved a big problem at early levels, which made me abandon the character. If someone has a good solution for this, you'll really make my day!
    Last edited by trehek; 2007-10-08 at 05:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Banned

Is Forgotten Realms material available? If so what about a Fey'ri Sorcerer?

Edit: Should note that you need to use the Enervative Healing feat from Races of Faerun to achieve the desired healing effect. Not sure if it just heals you or gives you temp HP.
    Last edited by Mr. Friendly; 2007-10-08 at 09:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

So, Complete Psionic has a very shiny looking feat that's probably not worthwhile for most builds: Skin of the Construct. By spending a power point and psionic focus, you can merge with a construct to temporarially get one of a fairly broad selection of physical feats.

A Psion with the Metacreativity specialty gets Bluff and Disguise as class skills: you can qualify for Chameleon by level 6 without breaking a sweat, and earn another flexible bonus feat at level 7. Granted, the whole thing is convoluted and silly, but anyone know where you'd go from there?

4. - Top - End - #664

RedWizardGuy

Enervative Healing states: "You heal 5 Hit points for every negative level the target gains as if you had been healed with positive energy".

So the effect is merely restorative.

5. - Top - End - #665

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
    Bard/Rogue seems, in my opinion, to be a waste. The extra skill points will be marginal and since you are going for Dervish, you would be better off with Scout and make the most of Skirmish.

I think something like this would work….

1) Bard1/Fighter1
    2) Scout1/Fighter2
    3) Scout2/Ranger1
    4) Bard2/Ranger2
    5) Scout3/ExtremeExplorer1
    6) Dervish1/EE2
    7) Dervish2/EE3
    8) Dervish3/EE4
    9) Dervish4/EE5
    10) Dervish5/EldeenRanger(Green)1
    11) Dervish6/ER(G)2
    12) Dervish7/ER(G)3
    13) Dervish8/ER(G)4
    14) Dervish9/ER(G)5
    15) Dervish10/Tempest1
    16) Bard3/Tempest2
    17) Fighter3/Tempest3
    18) Ranger3/Tempest4
    19) Scout4/Tempest5
    20) Fighter4/Ranger4

Feats by level:
    1st: Dodge, Mobility, Action Boost(flaw)
    2nd: Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
    3rd: Combat Expertise, Track(b)
    4th: Two Weapon Fighting(b)
    Etc.

That’s pretty haphazard I know and I am sure the levels could be moved around to give access to Tempest at lower levels and no doubt Extreme Explorer and Eldeen Ranger could be pitched entirely. However, since it is Eberron, the extra Action Points from EE are nice and the Eldeen Ranger’s Divine Grace at 3rd is nice too….

I may have forgotten to mention this, but she is required to take levels in rogue. The campaign is focused on a group of rogues, thus their primary emphasis is on being...rogues. She, however, wants to be a rogue/bard, focused on being a melee fighter. Since I normally give my bards a bow, I wanted to come here to find someone better to help her with the character that she wants to make. She makes a lot of fighters, and didn't want to just be a rogue/fight or some similar character, as she wanted, i'm assuming, to try something new.

Thanks for the attempt, but it's not really what she's looking for or even what she's allowed to create, since she has to remain as a primary rogue, unless later on she takes a rogue-ish prestige class in its place.

But if you'd like to redo it, or if anyone else would like to put in their twenty cents, she and I would both appreciate it.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Pixie in the Playground

I would greatly appreciate some help in cooking up an arcane blaster-caster based around the Silver Pyromancer P-class in Eberron, level-by-level to 20. The campaign is demon/aberration/evil outsider heavy, and the party consists of Silver Flame worshipping LG-types, with a CG Batman.

Books: I can use Core/Complete */PHBII/Any Eberron/Expedition to the Demonweb Pits
    Race: Any
    Class: Silver Pyromancer is the thematic grounding of the character, so 5 levels of that are key. The class requires the ability to turn undead and 3rd level arcane casting, so a dip into sacred exorcist would be key. Also, given the type of enemies, the demonwrecker prc from expedition to the demonweb pits might help(?)
    Ability Scores: Champion Array
    Alignment: Lawful Good

Concept: Our party has a plethora of melee & divine, plus a Batman wizard. However, the Batman is virtually direct-damage free due to specialization. So, when my current melee tank takes his inevitable dirt nap, I’d like to come back with a caster that is party-cohesive (Silver Flame, etc.) but capable of laying mushroom prints on demons and other evil outsiders.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Captain Bananas; 2007-10-11 at 09:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hey everyone,

1. Looking for a from-scratch character, built to level 8. Anything goes as long as it adds up to Effective level of 8. HD included.
    My group needs a Tank, i would like a damage dealing. Its an EVIL campaign, so i would like a character that is extremely scary and dangerous.

Any help ?

Someone mentioned half-vamp to me, i kinda like that idea.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Dwarf in the Playground

hey everyone, i'm looking for a character built from level 1-10, preferably showing the build level by level.

My party needs a front-line kind of guy, so i was thinking of using the kensai PrC, so maybe taking fighter/paladin up until then? Kensai isn't a definite so if you find some better then by all means use it.

Party: Elf Wizard 1, Dwarven Cleric of Pelor 1, Human Rogue 1, Human Druid 1
    Race: Preferably Human, but no LA is allowed
    Books: Core, PHB II, BoVD (probably not needed for this build), Complete warrior and Complete Adventurer, no setting specific books please
    Stats: We roll them and i got 18, 16, 15, 15, 12, 10
    Alignment: LG
    Concept: As stated above, a front-line fighter who can do a lot of damage and take some damage too. Probably using a Greatsword and power attacking the crap out of people.
    Other: We are working against an evil githyanki government, using guerilla tactics. Githyanki and githzerai will be main enemies, but who knows what they will have working for them against us.

Thanks in advance

9. - Top - End - #669
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dual_wielder View Post
    hey everyone, i'm looking for a character built from level 1-10, preferably showing the build level by level.

My party needs a front-line kind of guy, so i was thinking of using the kensai PrC, so maybe taking fighter/paladin up until then? Kensai isn't a definite so if you find some better then by all means use it.

Party: Elf Wizard 1, Dwarven Cleric of Pelor 1, Human Rogue 1, Human Druid 1
    Race: Preferably Human, but no LA is allowed
    Books: Core, PHB II, BoVD (probably not needed for this build), Complete warrior and Complete Adventurer, no setting specific books please
    Stats: We roll them and i got 18, 16, 15, 15, 12, 10
    Alignment: LG
    Concept: As stated above, a front-line fighter who can do a lot of damage and take some damage too. Probably using a Greatsword and power attacking the crap out of people.
    Other: We are working against an evil githyanki government, using guerilla tactics. Githyanki and githzerai will be main enemies, but who knows what they will have working for them against us.

Thanks in advance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Instead of paladin, would you consider a single level dip into Samurai? It fits the Kensai's flavor better and you can have the same liege for both classes, it also has concentration, diplomacy and ride as class skills. Instead of dual weilding daisho, considering using a bastard sword and unarmed strikes to maximize power attacks with your bastard sword as two handed while gaining a second and third attack with your kicks. This build assumes you have 13 intelligence to qualify for Weapon Expertise

Race Human
    Feat: Able Learner
    1 Barbarian 1 (Lion Totem Substitution Level from Complete Champion)
    Feat: Two Weapon Fighting
    Skills:
    Concentration **
    Diplomacy **
    Intimidate ****
    Jump ****
    Listen ****
    Ride ****

2 Barbarian 2
    Skills:
    Concentration **
    Diplomacy **
    Intimidate ****
    Jump *****
    Listen *****
    Ride *****
    Skill Trick: Great Leap

3 Samurai 1
    Free: Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Bastard Sword)
    Feat: Combat Expertise
    Skills:
    Concentration *****
    Diplomacy **
    Intimidate ****
    Jump *****
    Listen *****
    Ride *****

4 Fighter 1
    Feat: Improved Unarmed Strike

Skills:
    Concentration ******
    Diplomacy ****
    Intimidate ****
    Jump *****
    Listen *****
    Ride *****

5 Fighter 2
    Feat: Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)
    Concentration *******
    Diplomacy *****
    Intimidate ****
    Jump ******
    Listen *****
    Ride *****

6 Kensai 1
    Feat: Snap Kick
    Concentration *********
    Diplomacy *******
    Intimidate ****
    Jump ******
    Listen *****
    Ride *****

7 Kensai 2
    Concentration ***** *****
    Diplomacy ***** *****
    Intimidate *****
    Jump ******
    Listen *****
    Ride *****

8 Kensai 3
    Concentration ***** ***** *
    Diplomacy ***** ***** *
    Intimidate ***** ***
    Jump ***** *
    Listen *****
    Ride *****

9 Kensai 4
    Feat: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Concentration ***** ***** **
    Diplomacy ***** ***** **
    Intimidate ***** ***** *
    Jump ***** *
    Listen *****
    Ride *****

10 Kensai 5
    Concentration ***** ***** ***
    Diplomacy ***** ***** ***
    Intimidate ***** ***** ***
    Jump ***** **
    Listen *****
    Ride *****

Fluff: You are a Barbarian from the Savannah's until you learn that life of Service calms the demons in your heart.

You no longer lose yourself in your rage but you still remember how to jump on your opponent like a lion with a flurry of steel and kicks.

I will finish this, promise. as soon as I have a moment away from work.
    Last edited by cupkeyk; 2007-10-17 at 04:00 PM.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drbunsen View Post
    Hey everyone,

1. Looking for a from-scratch character, built to level 8. Anything goes as long as it adds up to Effective level of 8. HD included.
    My group needs a Tank, i would like a damage dealing. Its an EVIL campaign, so i would like a character that is extremely scary and dangerous.

Any help ?

Someone mentioned half-vamp to me, i kinda like that idea.
    Mad idea I had some days ago:
    take the Dispater Disciple PrC (BoVD) and the Weapon Master PrC (on the Wizards site, I think), get yourself two arcanite kukries and crit. at 6+.

Anyway, coming to normal thoughts and down to ECL 8, the best tank ever is the crusader, but consider a monk to get extreme AC. Half-vampire, I can't follow you there, I don't even know what it is, really...
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

A friend of mine offline is building a new character for our Undermountain campaign - his rogue is about to get slashdotted (as in, "Claw, Claw, Bite, Slash... Poison Damage over Time!).

Please build me the bestest Druidzilla you can - should teach our DM to sic five or six higher CR challenges against us back to back, and THEN roll for random encounters...

1. Level by Level, to level 20
    2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:
    a. Books: Any WotC
    b. Race: Any LA-0 from any WotC book
    c. Class: Druid and PrCs
    d. Ability Scores: Random generation (please use Invis. Castle and provide link)
    e. Alignment: NE or N
    f. House Rules: None
    g. Concept: Cave-dwelling or mountain druid would be apropos.
    h. Other: Heavy combat hack & slash (Undermountain)
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

12. - Top - End - #672
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

i need help building a shadowbane inquisitor, mainly because i do not have the Complete Adventurer...

also, is it possible for a shadowbane inquisitor with paladin levels to convert all his paladin levels into blackguard levels, yet keep all the class abilities of the shadowbane? this was brought up in another thread, but i never got a definite answer

1. Which of the above are you asking for?
    a. level by level, stop at 20
    2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:
    a. any and all of the books
    b. preferably human
    c. im thinking multiclass paladin/rogue would be the best bet, especially since i want to convert the paladin levels to blackguard at some point...oh, and i want to get the full 10 levels out of the shadowbane
    d. randomly generate
    e. well the requirement for shadowbane is lawful good, so i guess im stuck there...i do plan on converting to evil at some point though
    f. no house rules
    g. the best possibly concept i can come up with would be an inquisitor from warhammer 40K..."the ends justify the means" and what not...
    h. well no game currently...this is just so i have my character ready for the next game my group plays
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

13. - Top - End - #673
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright, guys, I need your help.

I need as Clericzilla as a cleric can get at ECL 9, no need for step-by-step, jsut springing fully formed.

Requirements, preferences, or limits on the following:
    a. Books that can be used to build your character: PHB, DMG, and Complete Divine. I have more, my DM doesn't.
    b. Race (including any Level Adjustment Limits): Anything that's LA +0
    c. Class: Cleric
    d. Ability Scores (fixed or generation method): 4*4d6, drop lowest.
    e. Alignment: LG.
    f. House Rules: are there any other requirements or unusual rules imposed on you/your character (e.g. no single level dips, no item creation feats, Track is being given to you as free feat, etc.): Nada, as far as I know.
    g. Concept: what requirements or preferences do you have regarding concept? I don't really have any quite yet. I don't know enough about the world.
    h. Other: Is there any other information that might help someone make your character all she can be (e.g., what are others playing, the setting is largely wilderness, the DM is threatening to use a lot of undead, or the campaign will be heavy on combat and light on intrigue)?: My DM is taunting us with his "Untouchable" warforged, so I wanna mop the floor with him. Other than that, I just need to support a monk and a rogue, both fairly noobish.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm looking for something pretty simple - a stereotypical CR4 were-rat.

I'm not too picky, but I assume it'd be human probably with levels in rogue. Stats can be what you like - probably the standard stats for starting NPCs in the DM guide.

I'd prefer core books, but if there's anything cool that you want in the "complete"s or "race"s, those will be fine too.

So, really, I'm going for something pretty stereotypical, any base race, class and feat list that you think fits the bill.

Thanks in advance!

15. - Top - End - #675
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doresain View Post
    i need help building a shadowbane inquisitor, mainly because i do not have the Complete Adventurer...

also, is it possible for a shadowbane inquisitor with paladin levels to convert all his paladin levels into blackguard levels, yet keep all the class abilities of the shadowbane? this was brought up in another thread, but i never got a definite answer

1. Which of the above are you asking for?
    a. level by level, stop at 20
    a. any and all of the books
    b. preferably human
    c. im thinking multiclass paladin/rogue would be the best bet, especially since i want to convert the paladin levels to blackguard at some point...oh, and i want to get the full 10 levels out of the shadowbane
    d. randomly generate
    e. well the requirement for shadowbane is lawful good, so i guess im stuck there...i do plan on converting to evil at some point though
    f. no house rules
    g. the best possibly concept i can come up with would be an inquisitor from warhammer 40K..."the ends justify the means" and what not...
    h. well no game currently...this is just so i have my character ready for the next game my group plays
    As far as i understand it you keep all your shadowbane abilities if you change alignments, but you can't continue in the class.

So you can take lvls in pally and rogue and the shadow bane and then switch over to blackguard... however, i think you have to have 11 or more lvls in pally before you can do that. which means... you'd have to gestalt... or only have 1 lvl rogue, 7 or 8 lvls in inquisitor and then take the blackguard lvls. It seems this is nigh impossible.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thyatira3902 View Post
    As far as i understand it you keep all your shadowbane abilities if you change alignments, but you can't continue in the class.

So you can take lvls in pally and rogue and the shadow bane and then switch over to blackguard... however, i think you have to have 11 or more lvls in pally before you can do that. which means... you'd have to gestalt... or only have 1 lvl rogue, 7 or 8 lvls in inquisitor and then take the blackguard lvls. It seems this is nigh impossible.
    Except Shadowbane levels count as pally levels for Blackguard abilities.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

but a shadowbane does keep its abilities if it strays from lawful good right?

i just think the idea of an inquisitor who falls from grace, keeps killing those he labels as heretics...in this case, the ones he formerly worked with
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

18. - Top - End - #678

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by trehek View Post
    2nd concept:

I've always dreamed of playing a succubus-type energy drainer, who gains power (usually temp HPs) by sucking it from foes. Still, until now I've been unable to make a character with this concept. I've tried making a build using the base Monster Manual entry taking +LA, and the succubus class build from Savage Species, but they have three main problems for me:
    1) Low combat power and HPs throughout the leveling cycle.
    2) Energy draining gained at a fairly high level
    3) Charming abilities overpowered, which tends to get my concept banned

Requirements:
    -Succubus expected but any and all races considered
    -Energy draining or similar power gaining ability at a early level
    -Arcane casting power is a bonus.
    -Charming powers a bonus but not required.
    -Any alignment
    -Combat build

Due to above problems, I don't have a build made with this. I tried making a character using the Savage Species progression by myself and tried leveling her up by pitting her solo against CR appropriate random encounters. Lack of armor proficiency and limitations of Alternate form (humanoid!) proved a big problem at early levels, which made me abandon the character. If someone has a good solution for this, you'll really make my day!
    I finally found what I was looking for from the good old Book of Vile Darkness! Page 66, The Soul Eater prestige class.

Tiefling as race, class levels in Cleric, Druid or Monk and Soul Eater. If I'd go with fighter I could get my draining ability at 7th level, but I suppose 9th level will do going the +0,75 BAB / lvl way, since the build will finally be competent. And it is a improvement over 12 racial levels.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

hey, I'm trying to see if this is a viable build, and i need help with feats and or other ideas...

I'm doing a gestalt, and i'm trying to make a Paladin of tyranny into blackguard on one side. The other side is cleric of hextor for some and ordained champion for 5 lvls... but it's certainly changeable.

What do you think i should do?

it seems like it could be really sweet. I have good rolls (18, 17, 16, 16, 15, 13) and a +2 lvl adjustment i can play with. i don't wanna play psionics...

I'm looking for a 1-20 build. any race. No psionics. any books. preferably not faerun though.

anything else?

20. - Top - End - #680

BardGuy

Hi (my first post here ), sense I really don`t know if this belongs to this topic, I will be brief and ask forgivness of Twelve Gods if I`am at wrong topic.

Grhm...

I just started playing D&D two weeks ago and I have been thrown into the position of the DM becouse nobody else have`s read the rules. I think I`m really good at DM:ing, but I have a one problem at character creation: Spell Resistance. I know what you need to beat it (D20 + your spellcaster level) but how I know how much does the character have score on their Spell Resistance themselfs?

Thank you.

21. - Top - End - #681

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cloneof View Post
    Hi (my first post here ), sense I really don`t know if this belongs to this topic, I will be brief and ask forgivness of Twelve Gods if I`am at wrong topic.

Grhm...

I just started playing D&D two weeks ago and I have been thrown into the position of the DM becouse nobody else have`s read the rules. I think I`m really good at DM:ing, but I have a one problem at character creation: Spell Resistance. I know what you need to beat it (D20 + your spellcaster level) but how I know how much does the character have score on their Spell Resistance themselfs?

Thank you.
    Unless a creature or pc's race or class has SR then they wouldn't have spell resistance. Monks as a class have SR, drow as a race have SR, for example.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Can someone please build me character from scratch to level 20
    Ranger/Tempest/Dervish
    Books: Any, obviously Core and CA/ CW must be used
    Race: must be Elf
    Class: as above
    Ability Scores: 15/16/15/13/12/8, these have the elven bonuses built in
    Alignment: CG
    Concept: I would like to have an extremely mobile whirling elf of death, the more attacks per round the better, prefer the use of longswords but willing to shift on this
    Other: We have a fighter in the party who dishes out the main damage, my character is used more as a minion killer while the fighter beats up on the BBEG
    If possible a breakdown of attack bonuses relating to multiple attacks would be welcome

thanks any who help

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Is there any way to derive spontaneous arcane casting from Intelligence other than Duskblade? I want a pure caster, either wizard with spontaneous or Sorcerer with Int. I don't want item work arounds or silly wizard spell conversions, but honest to goodness Sorcerer spontenaity based on Intelligence.

I've looked and searched and found nothing... but I'm hoping I overlooked something...

Thanks!

Theo
    Trollbait extraordinaire

24. - Top - End - #684
    Barbarian in the Playground

Use Tome of Battle - Warblade specialized in Tiger Claw. Curious enough, every melee build I do recently has got to do with ToB... Perhaps I just like it.

Anyway: to keep Ranger, take the CCh variant for the 4th level bonus feat.
    But I'd give up both Rgr and Tempest to get more manoeuvres...

BUILD 1: Rgr 4/Scout 2/Tempest 5/Dervish 9
    BUILD 2: Wbl 7/Dervish 10/Wbl +3

Get TWF, TWF + and TWF ++; then take these feats, based on build:
    1) Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Bounding Assault, Rapid Blitz, Power Attack, Swift Hunter, Cleave, Mighty Cleave, Martial Study (Sudden Leap), Martial Study (Dancing Moongoose), Martial Study (Pouncing Charge).
    2)Power Attack, Cleave, Mighty Cleave, Martial Study (Inferno Blade), Martial Study (Flashing sun), Martial Stance (Fiery Assault), Martial Study (Desert Tempest), Weapon Focus, Specialization, Melee Weapon Mastery, Slashing Flurry.

Other thing, for more low-level builds: taking Barbarian 1 (and Extra Rage later on) with UA variant rag gives you flurry (+1 attack), then take monk 1 and ECS feat that let you use longswords as monk's special weapon get you another flurry. Slashing Flurry feat requires Fighter 4 at least, but is another flurry attack. Taking Snap Kick (ToB), Frostrager 2 (One-Two punch; Frostburn) and Fist of the Forest (ferocity is a rage-like ability, so get Extra Rage and you get more ferocities too; CCh) let you use another 3 attacks.
    Now double with dervish. At ECL 18 you could always take Martial Study (Dancing Moongoose) in any case.

Anyway, keep in mind that Tempest 5 let you use 6 attacks while moving even without dancing (Rapid Blitz). Also, consider taking: Rgr 1/Scout 4/Warmind 5/Tempest 5/Rgr +5. Skirmish, 6 attacs per round + Cleave + every attack hits two creatures. Not bad. Hustle power gives you, eventually, move + full attack.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

Hi folks...

I have precisely 0 experience with RPGs, and no source material other than the stuff that's online, so I'd greatly appreciate some help in rolling up a character for the PBP games here ItP.

What I'm looking for is a Chaotic Neutral, 3/4 human-1/4 drow, Rogue 1/Fighter 1 or Rogue 1/Fighter 1/Sorc 1. Perhaps trading some WIS for INT, and with a high knowledge score in recogintion of animals, and weather/the elements...beyond this, I don't really have a set plan (besides "good stuff for a rogue to have" of course...).

Thanks!

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

26. - Top - End - #686
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger
    What I'm looking for is a Chaotic Neutral, 3/4 human-1/4 drow
    I think you'll want a Human with in-game Drow fluff for this. Half-Elf doesn't fit because a)it's a gimped race and b)it's abilities are social skill-based, which would make zero sense in this context.

Rogue 1/Fighter 1 or Rogue 1/Fighter 1/Sorc 1. Perhaps trading some WIS for INT, and with a high knowledge score in recogintion of animals, and weather/the elements...beyond this, I don't really have a set plan (besides "good stuff for a rogue to have" of course...).
    Um... would a Bard with the variants below be what you're looking for?

If not, you really need to clarify your goals with this character. Try answering these questions:
    --What do you want your character to do?
    --What weapons, skills or spells do you want to use?
    --Why do you want the Fighter level?
    --Why do you want the Sorcerer level?
    --Why do you want the Rogue level?

Note that just because you take levels in the "Bard" class does not mean your character has to be a minstrel or performer. "Bard" is just a name for a set of abilities that (with the variants) sound like they match your goal.

Bards have a skill-list similar to the Rogue's, making Intelligence a useful ability. They also have good Will saves, which helps to cover for a Wisdom dump-stat. Snag the Survival, Handle Animal and Knowledge (Nature) skills.

Handle Animal will be a cross-class skill, meaning each skill point you invest will only count as half of a rank.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd.org
    Bard
    A rare bard might display a special link to nature and the mysterious world of the fey. Such characters tend to be more aloof and less inspiring than standard bards.

Gain
    Animal companion (as druid), nature sense (as druid), resist nature's lure (as druid), wild empathy (as druid).

Lose
    Bardic knowledge, inspire courage, inspire competence, inspire greatness, inspire heroics.
    Link

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd.org
    Bard Variant: Savage Bard
    The savage bard is a warrior at heart, though his arcane powers strike fear into the enemies of his tribe. Savage bards often multi-class as barbarians to improve their combat prowess.

Alignment
    A savage bard must be chaotic in alignment. A savage bard who becomes nonchaotic cannot progress in levels as a bard, though he retains all his bard abilities.

Base Save Bonuses
    A savage bard has good Fortitude and Will saves, but has poor Reflex saves.

Class Skills
    A savage bard loses Decipher Script and Speak Language as class skills. He adds Survival to his list of class skills.

Class Features
    The savage bard has all the standard bard class features, except as noted below.

Illiteracy
    A savage bard is illiterate, just as a barbarian is. An illiterate savage bard cannot use or scribe scrolls.

Spellcasting
    Remove the following spells from the savage bard's class spell list: calm emotions, comprehend languages, detect secret doors, erase, prestidigitation, read magic, sepia snake sigil, summon monster (I through VI).

Add the following spells to the savage bard's class spell list: 1st—calm animals, detect snares and pits, endure elements, summon nature's ally I; 2nd—bull's strength, pass without trace, summon nature's ally II; 3rd—snare, summon nature's ally III; 4th—insect plague, summon nature's ally IV; 5th—commune with nature, summon nature's ally V; 6th—creeping doom, reincarnate, summon nature's ally VI.
    Link
    Last edited by Temp; 2007-10-31 at 11:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

(Re)posting Aid Request- campaign start got delayed, but I never got a reply on the first attempt, so maybe I'll ask again.

Elan Knight/War Mind- Level by level until 10, general ideas for beyond.

Definates- Skill Knowledge Feat from UA allowed, could be used to buy the required Knowledge (Psionic) as a class skill to advance into War Mind, if dipping into another class (Psychic Warrior for Bonus Feats?) isn't recommended. (Maybe Knight-4/PsyWar-3/War Mind-3 instead of Knight-5/War Mind-5 w/Skill Knowledge?)

Flaws and Traits rules in effect, maximum 2 in both cases, Dragon-published ones allowed on a case-by-case basis- generally accepted unless they rank of too much cheese.

28 or 32 point buy (DM hasn't decided yet, offered to see characters in 28 before making final decision) following lv 10 WBL with 49,000 GP to buy starting equipment- with the exception that no single item is allowed to be more then 1/3 of character's wealth.

Books allowed- All core and psionic core books allowed. Complete books and PHB2 allowed. Eberron books allowed. Most first-party racial and setting books allowed. ToB and ToM allowed. Most other material allowed upon review but unlike Flaws and Traits, default answer is no. (Only reason DM's allowing outside Flaws/Traits is that they feel the UA selection is too limited)

Initial ideas- Charger/Tank? Psionic Feats like Psionic Charge coupled with Psionic Lion's Charge, Expansion, Skate, and other PsyWar/War Mind-based buffs looks fun.

-Knight abilities used to hinder/slow/stop opponents (running on what appears to be a relatively squishy-heavy campaign), definitely going to be in the thick of things as the only character looking like it'll have a hit die greater then d6 for most of it's life.

-Practiced Manifester for boosting up Warmind CL a definite, methinks, assuming I got the feat to burn on it. Shock Trooper's a gimmie, of course, so that's four of six possible feats (2 Flaw, 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th), not counting if I take PsyWar levels.

-Maybe combine Quick trait with Speed of Though for a base 50' move while Psionic Focus is up? HP penalty will hurt, but a 100' unmounted charge without any outside help is tempting. Will have a mount too, so maybe build as a lancer?

(As ya'll can see- I got the ideas, but not exactly sure on which ones are worth following. Whatcha guys think?)

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    Um... would a Bard with the variants below be what you're looking for?
    *snip*
    Spoiler
    Show
    This sounds like it might work...perhaps a Rogue 1/Bard(as above) 1. The 'Savage Bard' has a few limitations I'd prefer not to deal with...

If not, you really need to clarify your goals with this character. Try answering these questions:
    --What do you want your character to do?
    --What weapons, skills or spells do you want to use?
    --Why do you want the Fighter level?
    --Why do you want the Sorcerer level?
    --Why do you want the Rogue level?

Note that just because you take levels in the "Bard" class does not mean your character has to be a minstrel or performer. "Bard" is just a name for a set of abilities that (with the variants) sound like they match your goal.

Bards have a skill-list similar to the Rogue's, making Intelligence a useful ability. They also have good Will saves, which helps to cover for a Wisdom dump-stat. Snag the Survival, Handle Animal and Knowledge (Nature) skills.

Handle Animal will be a cross-class skill, meaning each skill point you invest will only count as half of a rank.
    Hmm...typical rogueish stuff, I guess. Swiping stuff that would be useful to the party (...and to him...), scouting for traps, and also being rather useful when things come to a fight. I was thinking of having him be proficient with a sabre; also be able to use some magic in combat; basically to be able to pull his weight in the majority of possible situations, focusing on stealth/sneak attacks in combat, but being able to go into a melee afterwards with the magic backing him up.

The Sorcerer level would represent a low-level innate magical talent; if a R/B works better instead that wouldn't be necessary since the bard can cast spells. (Can Bards cast Explosive Runes? )

Beyond that...like I said I'm a complete noob when it comes to RPGing, so I'm not entirely sure what skills and such are good choices and bad. The ones you mentioned sound good/logical, beyond that...?

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

29. - Top - End - #689
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could someone please make me a level 5 arcane caster from scratch?

Books: I can use Players Handbook and Monster Manual 1
    Race: Must be from Monster Manual, ignore level adjustment 2 or less. No human allowed (Including half-elfs, half-orcs, halflings, etc)
    Class: I prefer being able to be spontaneous, but not a requirement. I am also planning on going archmage later on.
    Ability Scores: Intelligence 24
    I rolled 13, 14, 14, 16, and 18 to distribute amongst the other scores as needed want.
    Alignment: Non lawful and non evil preferably, though I'm much less strict about it being non evil. NE and CE are somewhat acceptable
    House Rules: The DM said teamwork will be a must, and he'll likely be using most every skill. No multi-classing to start, and no crossing races allowed.
    Concept: I'm not quite sure.
    Other:
    Last edited by Malificus; 2007-11-01 at 03:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #690

HalflingRangerGuy

You want to be a spontaneous spell caster with 24 int? and the only books available are phb and mm1? with only those two books available go sorc and put the 18 in cha. there are better spontaneous casters with int as their pra in other books, though.