New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

confused Are Flying Cars Even Possible?

Are flying cars even possible? I know that this question been asked before by so many people but I want an honest answer. This is 2019 going to 2020 and flying cars haven't been invented yet. So I need to know are flying card even possible?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Are Flying Cars Even Possible?

How are we defining a flying car? Are cheapish flying vehicles possible? Absolutely. Look up Autogyros as an example.

The issues are:
    1. People are bad at flying, and it will never be safe to allow people without in depth training to fly or allow large numbers to fly in an area at the same time.
    2. The fuel costs are always going to be high and are bad for the environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    How are we defining a flying car? Are cheapish flying vehicles possible? Absolutely. Look up Autogyros as an example.

The issues are:
    1. People are bad at flying, and it will never be safe to allow people without in-depth training to fly or allow large numbers to fly in an area at the same time.
    2. The fuel costs are always going to be high and are bad for the environment.
    That seems like a bit of a contradiction. With training people will able to drive flying cars. And not everyone is bad at flying cars.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-10-29 at 05:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Of course they're possible. We've had them for 80 years. Just because most people haven't bought one and learned how to drive it doesn't mean they're not around.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-29 at 05:05 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Of course they're possible. We've had them for 130 years. Just because most people haven't bought one and learned how to drive it doesn't mean they're not around.
    Well it's a vehicle and they still exist but it doesn't even count as a flying car.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well it's a vehicle and they still exist but it doesn't even count as a flying car.
    Why not? It's a perfectly good flying car.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Why not? It's a perfectly good flying car.
    Well, I guess that consider a good flying car. But what about a flying car that hovers? (No magic, all technology.)
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-10-29 at 05:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Gonna have to agree with Peelee here. Any vehicle that could conceivably be called a 'flying car' would be subject to the same limitations that currently apply to helicopters.

You're not going to be able to fly a car without a pilot's license, you're only going to be able to take off from proper airports (at least most of the time - where else will you find aviaton fuel, ground crew, secure parking, meteorological data and air traffic control all in one place?), they'll be super expensive to buy & maintain, and fuel efficiency will be terrible (compared to non flying transport, and considering how much harder it would be to electrify a passenger helicopter). Plus all that stuff about accidents being more deadly.

Since this theoretical 'flying car' you're trying to imagine wouldn't be any better than vehicles that already exist, it's pretty unlikely that anyone would invest in it, though I guess Silicon Valley has confounded expectations in that area a few times already.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2019-11-05 at 09:53 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That seems like a bit of a contradiction. With training people will able to drive flying cars. And not everyone is bad at flying cars.
    Yes they are. Humans are innately bad at driving ground cars, 1/7500 have a lethal accident annually and 1/5 of us have an accident in that time. If you have flying cars and they were exactly as easy to drive 1/5 of our adult population would die annually (there are no good accidents while flying.)

We aren't build for three dimensional movement, so we would be worse at driving flying cars. That means that more then 1/5 of us would kill ourselves annually, making it the single most lethal thing in the world. Flying cars won't happen.

Well, I guess that consider a good flying car. But what about a flying car that hovers? (No magic, all technology.)
    You just removed the breaks from regular cars. We have had hovercraft for decades, but the lack of good breaks and steering are a major drawback.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-10-29 at 05:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yes they are. Humans are innately bad at driving ground cars, 1/7500 have a lethal accident annually and 1/5 of us have an accident in that time. If you have flying cars and they were exactly as easy to drive 1/5 of our adult population would die annually (there are no good accidents while flying.)

We aren't build for three dimensional movement, so we would be worse at driving flying cars. That means that more then 1/5 of us would kill ourselves annually, making it the single most lethal thing in the world. Flying cars won't happen.

You just removed the breaks from regular cars. We have had hovercraft for decades, but the lack of good breaks and steering are a major drawback.
    I disagree with you. I know accidents happen but not every accident is universally happen by human error. I can name a few things like Drunk driving, text message, distraction. A lot of it can be prevented.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I disagree with you. I know accidents happen but not every accident is universally happen by human error. I can name a few things like Drunk driving, text message, distraction. A lot of it can be prevented.
    Those are all user error, and people aren't going to quit doing them. Technology changes, people don't. Train drivers and airline pilots get in trouble for exactly those things.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Those are all user error, and people aren't going to quit doing them. Technology changes, people don't. Train drivers and airline pilots get in trouble for exactly those things.
    True but it can still be easily prevented as simple as a time machine. LOL!

13. - Top - End - #13

Think about drunk drivers, texting drivers, and distracted drivers all on the road, driving through a city. Think about how much damage they can cause in that city.

Now think about those same people, except flying over a city. They can cause WAY MORE damage. It is significantly worse. And those are all things those people have actually chosen to do. Those aren't mistakes, those are deliberate choices. Those people chose to get drunk and hop in the car, they chose to pull their phone out. That is human error. I don't know what else you'd call it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Think about drunk drivers, texting drivers, and distracted drivers all on the road, driving through a city. Think about how much damage they can cause in that city.

Now think about those same people, except flying over a city. They can cause WAY MORE damage. It is significantly worse. And those are all things those people have actually chosen to do. Those aren't mistakes, those are deliberate choices. Those people chose to get drunk and hop in the car, they chose to pull their phone out. That is human error. I don't know what else you'd call it.
    Ohhh.....I see.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Are flying cars even possible? I know that this question been asked before by so many people but I want an honest answer. This is 2019 going to 2020 and flying cars haven't been invented yet. So I need to know are flying card even possible?
    Not been invented? Hardly - there have been lots of prototypes, just nothing in production. They just aren't at all practical.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Including the very car like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerocar
    I'm sure I saw a very car like autogyro over a stadium too... (but it might be the plane body on a helicopter I remember)

Flying boats have a early pedigree (although they are mainly normal planes that just use water as a flexible runway for bigger planes than the infrastructure could deal with)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Aerocar had 6 of them built in 1949. Link provided by another.

Did you even look before assuming they didn't exist?

Lots of marketing hype, but their are numerous examples out there. Look for 'aerocar', 'aeromobil', 'terrfugia', pal-v', 'aska', 'machina volantis', 'vahana', etc

Though many are nothing more than concepts, as pointed out, we've had actual working flying cars for 80 years or more and some of the newer ones have working prototypes too. You can also find hover cycles and such too if you look. Again, the issue with all of these is practicality.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    The Aerocar had 6 of them built in 1949. Link provided by another.

Did you even look before assuming they didn't exist?

Lots of marketing hype, but their are numerous examples out there. Look for 'aerocar', 'aeromobil', 'terrfugia', pal-v', 'aska', 'machina volantis', 'vahana', etc

Though many are nothing more than concepts, as pointed out, we've had actual working flying cars for 80 years or more and some of the newer ones have working prototypes too. You can also find hover cycles and such too if you look. Again, the issue with all of these is practicality.
    No I haven't look into that. D'oh.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Possible? Yes. People have and repeatedly have built vehicles that can be both driven and flown. Practical for a replacement for the everyday automobile? No. Not yet at least, and I doubt ever, at least on Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Gonna have to agree with Peelee here. Any vehicle that could conceivably be called a 'flying car' would be subject to the same limitations that currently apply to helicopters.

You're not going to be able to fly a car without a pilot's license, you're only going to be able to take off from proper airports, they'll be super expensive to buy & maintain, and fuel efficiency will be terrible.
    Fun fact, helicopters are allowed to land pretty much wherever they fit. There're a few companies catering to rich people that are basically Door Dash with helicopters.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

There actually are a small number of vehicles currently in production that reasonably meet the classic science fiction idea of a flying car - something that is street legal to drive on the road and also capable of powered flight. The PAL-V Liberty is one such vehicle. Major strides have been made in recent years as a result of advancement in battery and electric motor technology. Future flying car concepts will probably be more like the Opener BlackFly which is more like a giant drone than either a car or a plane.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

This was actually in the news recently: https://www.theguardian.com/science/...to-you-by-2022

Personal flying vehicles are unlikely as explained before, but flying taxis piloted by properly trained individuals, or even potentually flying autonomously are possible.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm reminded of a Gyro Gearloose & Donald Duck story. Donald sees Gyro's convenient flying "car" while stuck in traffic. He asks for one for himself. No more sitting in traffic! More people see that and suddenly Gyro has a factory making them. Finally an invention that strikes rich!

Only, now everyone has one, and they all are stuck in traffic together in the sky instead. Including Gyro, who in the last frame ponders whether it was such a good idea to share the sky with everyone else.

Obviously they gloss over the part where any malfunction or human error not only includes your veloctiy, but adds gravital acceleration to any car crash.

Really, the concept of flying cars are flawed from the get go, not the flying part as a technical problem. What are flying cars? They are cars not bound to the road grid to give freedom of movement sort of, to get away from the "shackles of the roads". But why do we have roads for cars? Because we can't have you driving around all over the place. It's much better to have designated space for it, and other types of traffic. The same problem will exist for the sky, it already does in fact. The sky isn't limitless. Airtraffic is routed because it would cause havoc if it wasn't. The same would be true for flying cars. So at it's core the idea of flying cars is trying to solve a problem the vehicles themsleve sare causing. It just won't work.

And I agree with the idea that flying cars is probably going to be different from current cars in concept anyway.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-10-30 at 04:15 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it depends on the conditions of the road, the speed of the vehicle, and the height of the speed bump.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I think the fuel economy issue is enough to prevent anyone making a flying car these days, even ignoring the obvious safety ones. We're trying to reduce our fuel consumption, not increase it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're not going to be able to fly a car without a pilot's license, you're only going to be able to take off from proper airports, they'll be super expensive to buy & maintain, and fuel efficiency will be terrible.
    The fuel efficiency of gyros isnt all that bad. Its pretty close to that of a small car. Beats out a single driver in a traffic jam. The other problems are still valid though. Need landing strips, proper licence, have limited cargo, etc.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Exactly like a helicopter can you mean?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, flying cars are possible. But they do everything a real car does plus holding a heavy weight in the air, so they will always use more fuel than a road car.

They are subject to the same dangers as real cars, plus the dangers of falling (or of dropping something on somebody on the ground). So they are inherently more dangerous than road cars.

People have designed and built various flying machines. A working jet pack was displayed at Disneyland more than half a century ago. But its too expensive, and it's too dangerous, to ever become common.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2019-10-30 at 05:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

In addition to the very good and valid points raised above, some repeatedly, just look at the various issues caused in the last few years by privately-operated drones.

Then multiply that by a factor with at least two zeroes on the end, to account for the flying cars' being bigger (and therefore more dangerous) and having real people inside them.

That is one of the reasons why they are unlikely ever to happen in a meaningful way.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)