New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Torrasque Armor

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Torrasque Armor

So long story short my epic level players (level 24) got bored so they hunted down and killed a torrasque. Long story short they were munching on the dead body when one of them asked if he could make armor out of the skin? I told him yes, but I would have to devide if it had any special properties. So my question in what if any properties should I give it? I thought about giving it the ability to deflect line and ray spells like the torrasque, but then I thought that might be to broken. My players are already really powerful (thye killed a great worm red dragon with 5 divine ranks the game before last) and I don't want to give them anything too powerful, but I would still like to make armor made from the torrasque better than normal seeing as it is so hard to get. What do you guys think?

The one and only,
    Me

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Torrasque Armor

I thought the Tarraque was one-of-a-kind and immortal. How did they kill it?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, you'd need AT LEAST a 10 foot long spear to pierce its skin, plus it'd need to be all sorts of magic and the character would still have to reach the bugger.
    As a rule in my games, the tarrasque is unkillable by anything human sized unless it has one hell of a spell.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Standard procedure for tarrasque slaying is for it to be knocked down to -10 hp and perma-killed with Wish/Miracle. A few other methods exist but nothing that would give the PCs the luxury of having Tarrasque Nuggets for dinner (HINT: The Tarrasque is immune to ability drain!) Even if the fighter was in God Mode without Wish, the tarrie would just keep on 'comin.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2010-12-02 at 09:52 PM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Randomizer View Post
    Standard procedure for tarrasque slaying is for it to be knocked down to -10 hp and perma-killed with Wish/Miracle. A few other methods exist but nothing that would give the PCs the luxury of having Tarrasque Nuggets for dinner (HINT: The Tarrasque is immune to ability drain!) Even if the fighter was in God Mode without Wish, the tarrie would just keep on 'comin.
    Suppose it's too late to suggest you wish the Tarrrasque into a special suit of armour?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-12-02 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would argue the best part to make the armor out of would be the the carapace. Carapace-shell full plate would give you immunity to magic and reflect some of it back at the casters.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I would argue the best part to make the armor out of would be the the carapace. Carapace-shell full plate would give you immunity to magic and reflect some of it back at the casters.
    That makes sense. Make Hide Armor out of the skin (possibly grants fire resistance, maybe damage reduction) or some form of Medium or Heavy armor out of the carapace, which grants tarrasque spell reflection.

Calculating price or what armor bonus it would confer is beyond me though.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Complete Arcane Failure? Or is that just me being ridiculous?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Go look up the Tarrasque society threads, the ones with civilizations based around a captured Tarrasque, they had some armor ideas.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Complete Arcane Failure? Or is that just me being ridiculous?
    THIS. IS. EPIC LEVELS! *sparta kick*

I kid. Besides, it's not COMPLETELY immune to spells, just all rays, lines, cones, and magic missiles. It might give him some of big T's spell resistance, though.

Oooh, or, tarrasque hide armor and a big T carapace tower shield.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-12-02 at 10:11 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

i think there were rules for making armor from dragonhide, which you could use to figure out how many sets of armor you could make from a colossal tarrasque. as far as powers go, the magic deflection and SR seem like good ideas...also some of the immunities or resistances, like fire, energy drain, ability damage and DR/15 epic
    Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    ...you're saying that if I go to heaven, I will find alcoholic bears waiting for me?

HELL! I CHOOSE HELL!

[GENERATION 16: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Well first off thanks to you for your help.

1) I checked the posts for a tarrasque society and, while cool, they didn't really cover armor stats, only that it would be cool to have tarrasque armor.

2) While it would be amazing to have all of those abilities, it is clearly broken. The best any other special armor material gives you is dr 3/adamantium. I can't give my players dr 15/epic and immunity to a large amount of spells and fire and energy drain and everything else.

I was thinking it might be balanced to give it a 30% chance of reflecting line and ray spells and then give that armor a 30% chance of deflecting back at the person who used it. That might be more balanced.

Also I heard that there were rules for making armor from things you killed in 2nd edition. Does any one know how that would work on a tarrasque?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ComicViolence View Post

1) I checked the posts for a tarrasque society and, while cool, they didn't really cover armor stats, only that it would be cool to have tarrasque armor.
    My friend, this is the guy who made the armor stats speaking. I have allowed them to be posted in the Homebrew Magic Item Compendium. See: Tarrasque Set.

Enjoy your players' new toys. They will.
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2010-12-03 at 08:15 PM.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Also I heard that there were rules for making armor from things you killed in 2nd edition. Does any one know how that would work on a tarrasque?
    I recall there being information about that in the 2e MM. Alas, my copy is not easily accessable.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

2) While it would be amazing to have all of those abilities, it is clearly broken. The best any other special armor material gives you is dr 3/adamantium. I can't give my players dr 15/epic and immunity to a large amount of spells and fire and energy drain and everything else.

I was thinking it might be balanced to give it a 30% chance of reflecting line and ray spells and then give that armor a 30% chance of deflecting back at the person who used it. That might be more balanced.

Here you'll find rules for making dragonhide armor. I figure its the closest thing in core 3.5 to making armor out of enemies. The Tarrasque is Colossal, which is four steps larger than Medium, so I imagine that you could make at most 4 suits of masterwork Tarrasquehide armor. Additionally, it can make 1 suit of masterwork half-plate or full-plate Tarrasquehide armor.

2. im not saying having ALL of those qualities, but considering that you have killed an innately magically and unique creature, armor-made from its hide should be fairly magical and unique as well. Maybe instead of the immunities, give it minor resistances, similar to the magical enhancements to armor.
    Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    ...you're saying that if I go to heaven, I will find alcoholic bears waiting for me?

HELL! I CHOOSE HELL!

[GENERATION 16: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well these are the 2nd edition Tarrasque stats is anyone is interested. They include what you get from mining its corpse.

Tarrasque

Climate/Terrain: Any land
    Frequency: Unique
    Organization: Solitary
    Activity Cycle: See below
    Diet: Omnivore
    Intelligence: Animal (1)
    Treasure: See below
    Alignment: Nil (I'd say True Neutral)

No. Appearing: 1
    Armor Class: -3
    Movement: 9, Rush 15 (can't quite sure what either means)
    Hit Dice: 300 hp (approx.70 HD)
    THAC0: -5
    No. Of Attacks: 6
    Damage/Attack: 1-12/1-12/2-24/5-50/1-10/1-10
    Special Attacks: Sharpness bite, terror
    Special Defenses: See below
    Magic Resistance: Nil
    Size: G (50 ft. long)
    Morale: Champion (15)
    XP Value: 107,000

The legendary Tarrasque, for there is fortunately only one known to exist, is the most dreaded monster native to the Prime Material plane. The creature is a scaly biped with two horns on its head, a lashing tail, and a reflective carapace.

Combat: The Tarrasque is a killing machine and when active (see below) eats everything for miles around, including all animals and vegetation. Normal attacks are with its two forelimb claws (1d12 points of damage each), a sweeping tail lash (2d12 points of damage), a savage bite (5d10 points of damage plus acts as a sword of sharpness, severing a limb on a natural attack roll of 18 or better), and two thrusting horn attacks (1d10 points of damage each).
    Once every turn, the normally slow-moving Tarrasque can rush forward at a movement rate of 15, making all horn attacks cause double damage and trampling anything underfoot for 4d10 points of crushing damage.
    The mere sight of the Tarrasque causes creatures with less than 3 levels or Hit Dice to be paralyzed with fright (no saving throw) until it is out of their vision. Creatures of 3 or more levels or Hit Dice flee in panic, although those of 7 or more levels or Hit Dice that manage to succeed with a saving throw vs. paralyzation are not affected (though they often still decide to run away).
    The Tarrasque's carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective. Bolts and rays such as lightning bolts, cones of cold, and even magic missiles are useless against it. The reflection is such that 1 in 6 of these attacks actually bounces directly back at the caster (affecting him normally), while the rest bounce of harmlessly to the sides and into the air.
    The Tarrasque is also immune to all heat and fire, and it regenerates lost hit points at a rate of 1 hit point per round. Only enchanted weapons (+1 or better) have any hope of harming the Tarrasque. The Tarrasque is totally immune to all psionics.

Habitat/Society: It is fortunate that the Tarrasque is active only for short periods of time. Typically, the monster comes forth to forage for a week or two, ravaging the countryside for miles around. The Tarrasque then seeks a hidden lair underground and lies dormant, sleeping for 5d4 months before coming forth again. Once every decade or so, the monster is particularly active, staying awake for several months. Thereafter its period of dormancy is 4d4 years unless disturbed. The ratio of active to dormant states seems to be about 1:30.

Ecology: Slaying of the Tarrasque is said to be possible only if the monster is reduced to -30 or fewer hit points and a wish is used. Otherwise, even the slightest piece of the Tarrasque can regenerate and restore the monster completely. Legend says that a great treasure can be extracted from the Tarrasque's carapace. The upper portion, treated with acid and then heated in a furnace, is thought to yield gems (10d10 diamonds of 1,000 gp base value each). The underbelly material, mixed with the creature's blood and adamantite, is said to produce a metal that can be forged by master dwarven blacksmiths into 1d4 shields of +5 enchantment. It takes two years to manufacture each shield, and the dwarves aren't likely to do it for free.
    It is hoped that the Tarrasque is a solitary creation, some hideous abomination unleashed by the dark arts or by elder, forgotten gods to punish all of nature. The elemental nature of the Tarrasque leads the few living Tarrasque experts to speculate that the elemental princes of evil have something to do with its existence. In any case, the location of the Tarrasque remains a mystery, as it rarely leaves witnesses in its wake, and nature quickly grows over all remnants of its presence. It is rumored that the Tarrasque is responsible for the extinction of one ancient civilization, for their records of their last days spoke of a "great, reptilian punisher sent by the gods to end the world."

Please note that the underlined section consists of only what I consider to be the bare minimum reward for killing and carving up the tarrasque. The DM shoul feel free to broaden the amount of items made from the tarrasque's body parts.
    Last edited by Agrippa; 2010-12-04 at 02:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic