New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rules That Don't Make Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    How long you can walk for depends on your Constitution score, hit point total, and natural healing rate. How long you can jog for depends on your hit point total and natural healing rate, but not on your Constitution score. How long you can run for depends only on your Constitution score.
    The difference between the run and walk checks can be partially accounted for by the fact that it's incredibly unlikely you could manage to run for nine hours, unless you've boosted your Constitution to NI. Also, it doesn't say how long you have to stop running for - while at first that sounds like a really stupid RAW loophole, on second glance it could mean that the check to stop running just means you have to stop for a round and take a short breather.

I also saw reasoning somewhere as follows:
    The entries under "Forced March" and "Hustle" relate to long-term walking. The entry under "Run" relates to short-term movement. Attempting to run over the long-term requires pausing and moving slowly short-term, averaging to a hustle.

Can't remember where I saw that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    The entries under "Forced March" and "Hustle" relate to long-term walking. The entry under "Run" relates to short-term movement. Attempting to run over the long-term requires pausing and moving slowly short-term, averaging to a hustle.

Can't remember where I saw that.
    You saw it in the section about tactical, local, and overland movement which says:
    Run: A character can't run for an extended period of time. Attempts to run and rest in cycles effectively work out to a hustle.
    in the overland section.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Illithid heritage comes from Illithids playing Dr. Moreau with 'lesser' species, and trying to uplift them into Illithidian magnificence, not through 'mammalian reproduction'.
    Since this contradicts all canonical information about Illithids, Illithid reproduction, and how they treat non-Illithid species, I'm gonna go ahead and say it has no accuracy or veracity whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A druid can't wear metal armor, but you can turn your animal companion into a metal-coated tank with no penalty.

To quote myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by N.D.A.
    National Druid Association
    Protecting your right to arm bears since 115.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    A druid can't wear metal armor, but you can turn your animal companion into a metal-coated tank with no penalty.
    Maybe the writers just did not write the penalty down because the animal companion does not have any spellcasting to lose.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

I just discovered one from the PF Q&A thread. Strictly RAW (and probably a sloppy mistake) Improved Familiars can get dumber by virtue of being a familiar. Ex: A very young faerie dragon has a 16 Int normally and starts out speaking multiple languages. As a familiar, it goes by the chart for familiars which means if you get one at 7th (the minimum level reqt), it has a 9 Int. You have a learning-challenged faerie dragon!
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-11-06 at 10:57 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Having a faerie dragon as familiar is strictly a houserule. How such a houserule is worded is up to the individual DM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Having a faerie dragon as familiar is strictly a houserule. How such a houserule is worded is up to the individual DM.
    "Faerie dragons sometimes ally with spellcasters, serving as curious, occasionally reckless, but always true familiars. An arcane spellcaster of at least 7th level with an alignment within 1 step of chaotic good who has the Improved Familiar feat may select a faerie dragon as a familiar."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh I wasn't aware they were available in PF. I was talking about 3.5.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh I wasn't aware they were available in PF. I was talking about 3.5.
    Well, 3.5 has the same issue. Psuedodragons have an Int of 10, so until you reach level 9 your Psuedodragon familiar will have its intelligence lowered to 9. And you get access to Psuedodragons at level 7. Yeah.

Imps and Quasits have the same problem, and that's just for the core list.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

That's indeed kind of weird but you can justify it:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A sorcerer can obtain a familiar. Doing so takes 24 hours and uses up magical materials that cost 100 gp. A familiar is a magical beast that resembles a small animal and is unusually tough and intelligent.
    You do not transform an existing creature into a familiar but you create it from magical materials. As such a low level wizard simply is not capable of creating such intelligent creatures.

Probably it is just an oversight in the Improved Familiar feat because normally the base for a familiar is an animal (INT<3).

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

That's indeed kind of weird but you can justify it:You do not transform an existing creature into a familiar but you create it from magical materials. As such a low level wizard simply is not capable of creating such intelligent creatures.
    You can't, because your idea doesn't work with what is written in the Familiar section:

A familiar is a normal animal that gains new powers and becomes a magical beast when summoned to service by a sorcerer or wizard. It retains the appearance, Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skills, and feats of the normal animal it once was, but it is treated as a magical beast instead of an animal for the purpose of any effect that depends on its type. Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar. An animal companion cannot also function as a familiar.
    You use the materials to summon the creature to your side and bind it to yourself, not to create a new creature.
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2014-11-06 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

(INT<3).
    I love Intelligence too!
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Since this contradicts all canonical information about Illithids, Illithid reproduction, and how they treat non-Illithid species, I'm gonna go ahead and say it has no accuracy or veracity whatsoever.
    Illithid biology:
    Occasionally, ceremorphosis can partially fail. Sometimes the larva does not contain enough chemicals to complete the process, sometimes there is psionic interference. Whatever the reason, it has happened that ceremorphosis has ended after the internal restructuring, resulting in a human body with an illithid's brain, personality and digestive tract. These unfortunates must still consume brains, typically by cutting open heads (as they lack the requisite tentacles). These beings are often used as spies, where they easily blend in with their respective host types.
    If some of them have family with normal humanoids...

15. - Top - End - #255
    Bugbear in the Playground

I got another one, Brain Golems being made by Illithids. Who looks at their food and thinks, "that would make a great golem."
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I got another one, Brain Golems being made by Illithids. Who looks at their food and thinks, "that would make a great golem."
    Well, the rest of us make flesh golems, which no one thinks is weird.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Well, the rest of us make flesh golems, which no one thinks is weird.
    I certainly hope you wouldn't look at what goes into a flash golem and go "Mm, tasty!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

I fought a beer golem once.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that mindflayers are not immune to the effects of devilweed.

I think I know where this came from....

I1: Hey Joshulhu, I just had a brilliant idea, squid-bro.
    I2: Like um what is it Cthad?
    Cthad: Like we should totally make a golem.... out of brains.
    Joshulhu: Woaah. That's like so smart... this is giving me the extracties, pass me that drow.
    Last edited by dascarletm; 2014-11-06 at 03:59 PM.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

We'll just have to wait for a bunch of Intelligence-Boosted Rust Monsters to drop by and show us the iron golem they just made and then we can enjoy the beauty of the biofuel discussion in a pseudo-medieval setting.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    I1: Hey Joshulhu, I just had a brilliant idea, squid-bro.
    I2: Like um what is it Cthad?
    Cthad: Like we should totally make a golem.... out of brains.
    Joshulhu: Woaah. That's like so smart... this is giving me the extracties, pass me that drow.
    totes quotes man.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    Isn't there a calzone golem somewhere?
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I certainly hope you wouldn't look at what goes into a flash golem and go "Mm, tasty!"
    A flesh golem is made out of meat. Humans eat meat. A brain golem is made out of brain matter. An Illithid eats brain matter.

Who's to say that the brain matter that brain golems are made out of is more appetizing to them than the meat of a flesh golem would be to a human? I know that the head used to be from Elder Brains, for instance, although that might have been retconned since their introduction.

(A more accurate counterexample might be something like undead livestock, though. Why would you zombiefy a horse when it has so much edible meat and marrow and useful skin etc.?)

24. - Top - End - #264
    Halfling in the Playground

Falling object damage is nuts a rain drop can in the rules kill a pc when it lands on thair head

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    A flesh golem is made out of meat. Humans eat meat. A brain golem is made out of brain matter. An Illithid eats brain matter.

Who's to say that the brain matter that brain golems are made out of is more appetizing to them than the meat of a flesh golem would be to a human? I know that the head used to be from Elder Brains, for instance, although that might have been retconned since their introduction.

(A more accurate counterexample might be something like undead livestock, though. Why would you zombiefy a horse when it has so much edible meat and marrow and useful skin etc.?)
    Exactly.

The brain golem being made with a stem from the elder brain is still, as far as I know, canon.

Maybe that culture doesn't eat horses on purpose, like contemporary Americans. there's even more cultures in D&D, so maybe they eat horse in Thay, but not in Breland, for example.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smegskull View Post
    Falling object damage is nuts a rain drop can in the rules kill a pc when it lands on thair head
    Objects weighing less than 1 pound do not deal damage to those they land upon, no matter how far they have fallen.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Drop a single arrow from 1000ft onto peasant. Watch as he takes no damage.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

If it's dropped, it's probably tumbling. Little or no issue here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #269
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Because:
    1. It takes a lot of effort to turn a horse into edible meat and marrow and useful skin.
    2. We have cows for meat, marrow, and useful skin. Horses are for riding, not eating (As decreed in The Only Culture That MattersTM.

Brain Golems would make sense if they're made from deceased Elder Brains, but not if they're from normal brains.

Humans only eat certain types of meat, and only after it's been processed to the point of unidentifiability, unless they're EvilTM

Same effect as if you dropped any other stick on him.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    If it's dropped, it's probably tumbling. Little or no issue here.
    Eh... while that would normally be the case, arrows are designed to fly straight, unless there are pretty egregious flaws that would make you wonder why anyone would ever try to use it as an arrow. They're pretty likely to fall point first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text