New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Game II: 2 Quest, 2 Curious

Does the increasing modifier end at +3 or keep going up? Seemed like it ends there but I wanted to make sure. In any event, I'm worried this may expediate deaths towards getting to that third ruler (or further) since 'highest stat' could be a 4 or 5 and then you get an additional big bonus for another stat of your choosing until you get a good roll to apply the bonuses too. I liked the gradient influenced by previous rulers and I expected a broadened version if it (something like, a ruler with a 4 in a stat gives a +1 to their heir, a 6 a +2, and an 8 a +3 staggered like that to give rewards for getting a stat to numbers other than 5 and 10) With the new proposal you get 2 +3s for the third ruler and up no matter how long their previous ruler lived or what they did.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Does the increasing modifier end at +3 or keep going up? Seemed like it ends there but I wanted to make sure. In any event, I'm worried this may expediate deaths towards getting to that third ruler (or further) since 'highest stat' could be a 4 or 5 and then you get an additional big bonus for another stat of your choosing until you get a good roll to apply the bonuses too. I liked the gradient influenced by previous rulers and I expected a broadened version if it (something like, a ruler with a 4 in a stat gives a +1 to their heir, a 6 a +2, and an 8 a +3 staggered like that to give rewards for getting a stat to numbers other than 5 and 10) With the new proposal you get 2 +3s for the third ruler and up no matter how long their previous ruler lived or what they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    I think you did. They look good. I like the new inheritance rules.
    The inheritance rules are my main concern with these because of that. I am considering a combination of the two, but think that might make it too complicated. Anyone have ideas?

And yes, as this is it's capped at +3.

The Winning Tactic concerns me a bit though. There are 14 options (and they're only suggestions), so in 13 out of 14 scenarios your tactic won't work. And it's not hard to see which ones will be easier to force more often. I mean, if you're conquering or defending it'll eventually come down to a fight on City terrain.

I feel like it needs to be trimmed down a bit, unless we're worried that military is too strong.
    I am worried that military is rather strong, mostly because of the many bonuses it can get, but it's not a concern when it's 1v1 (unless one of the players is much newer). The Winning Tactic functions as Zap explained, with the military maneuvering. It can easily be trimmed down a bit, I suppose, but I wish to keep it at natural terrain, thus utilizing a bit of the terrain fluff people write for their countries. Taking cities out as an option may be wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerofundead View Post
    So I am clear. With my resource bees. Bees make honey an honey is used to make mead am I allowed to trade both Honey and mead or should I change. The bees to honey as a resource then when I can get the method to make mead. I don't want any one to think I am getting to much of a head start.
    You can make both honey and mead with them, no problem. When you trade them though, they'll still be marked as "bees" for ease of reference to your resource. Effectively, they're tied up in the production of honey for those you trade with (or the mead you make from that honey).

Also what years is the current round taking place in.
    That's at the top of the OP, when I remember to update it. Round 1 started with Year 331. Each round is 5 years, so Round 5 is years 351-355.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a really boring afternoon at work, so I did a rough draft of the Raaneki Games:

Games Description
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arts Contest: Any craft or work of art may be submitted. Prize awarded for finest craftsmanship and overall beauty.

Caragita: A contest in four parts: foot race, long jump, javelin throw, and wrestling. Prizes awarded for individual events. Prize for best overall is the highest honor of the Games.

Duel Tournament: Any blunted weapons may be used. Prize awarded to the overall champion.

Demonstration Events: Noncompetitive display of any cultural artifact (e.g. weapons styles, poetry, etc.).

Mass Melee: Party-based combat against all realms from other parties. Prize awarded to the last party standing.

Mock Naval Battle: Two pairs of ships face off in Bandar Harbor. Prize awarded to the overall champions.

Mounted Race: A race in three parts from Bandar to Sarab. Prize awarded to the first to enter the gates of the city. Any mount may be used.

Ranged Tournament: Any ranged weapons may be used. Prize awarded to overall champion.

Schedule
    Spoiler
    Show
    Day 1
    Revelry in the streets of Bandar of Many Colors

Day 2
    Mock Naval Battle in Bandar
    Mounted Race from Bandar to Sarab

Day 3
    Archery Tournament in Sarab
    Duel Tournament in Sarab
    Mass Melee in Sarab
    Demonstration Events in Sarab

Day 4
    Caragita in Sarab: foot race, long jump, javelin throw, wrestling

Day 5
    Arts Contest in Sarab

Day 6
    Revelry in the streets of Sarab

Games Mechanics
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Event|Roll 1d10+...|# of Rolls|Victory Condition
    Arts Contest|Curiosity|1|Highest Result
    Caragita|1/2 Military|4|Highest Individual and Highest Cumulative Results
    Demonstration Events|None|None|None
    Duel Tournament|1/2 Military|3|Best 2/3
    Mass Melee|Military|3|Highest Cumulative Result
    Mounted Race|1/2 Military|3|Highest Cumulative Result
    Mock Naval Battle|Military|3|Highest Cumulative Result
    Ranged Tournament|1/2 Military|3|Best 2/3
    [/table]

Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    In addition to whatever awards are given by their nations, victorious contestants will receive a crown made of berry vines, one years' store of Raaneki wine, and a life size statue of their likeness outside the stadium.

The schedule of events is pure fluff; I think it makes a lot of sense to skip back and forth through the days as desired when it comes to participating and posting.

My biggest worry at this point is either that there are too many events, or that it's generally going to be a nightmare to coordinate. Thoughts?
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You can make both honey and mead with them, no problem. When you trade them though, they'll still be marked as "bees" for ease of reference to your resource. Effectively, they're tied up in the production of honey for those you trade with (or the mead you make from that honey).

That's at the top of the OP, when I remember to update it. Round 1 started with Year 331. Each round is 5 years, so Round 5 is years 351-355.
    Thank you for making that clear.

My next question is, on the next round I will get increases +1 to military for making 2 military actions.
    Last edited by Slayerofundead; 2014-02-20 at 05:40 PM.

The Orcs are coming, the Orcs are coming.
    The Orcs are here to play.

Sir Rikkan
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2346021

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    The inheritance rules are my main concern with these because of that. I am considering a combination of the two, but think that might make it too complicated. Anyone have ideas?

And yes, as this is it's capped at +3.
    Well, my suggestion is pretty much what I already posted a deceased ruler gives their heir a +3 for their 8s and ups, a +2 for their 6s and ups, and a +1 for their 4s and ups.

Maybe it's a pool of minimum +6 mods and if you have the skills to utilize the pool they take priority. So, if you have a leader with all < or =3s then you have a pool of +6 you can pull from to add to ability scores (maybe maxing out at adding +2 to any one score) however if you have a leader with 3, 3, 3, 4, 3 then their heir would automatically get +1 from the pool to the 4 ability score but then there's still a floating +5 that can be distributed (perhaps to not to any stat that has been modified) Does that make sense? I'm not in love with the idea but I'm spit balling.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

I am at work posting from a mobile device, so I will try my best not to make any typos, but I do not really have a lot of time.

I would prefer to choose all six and think a blend of the two main ideas could work. I thought the current system could instead be a guide for where you can sprnd four points from your previous ŕuler. Then as with new rulers you can spend two point anywhere. I am not sure which distribution of the point s work best with second ruler though...

So for Jaten, she only reigned a short time and can only give a 2 jn curiosity and a 1 in diplomacy, which is only three points because she only ruled for twenty years.

I did some quick maths, and with this assuming a ruke of 30 years (which seems average, but not in dark ages so system may need tweaking or we need to work on lifespan things like diet and medicine) you get a range between 4 and 8 places to put the points. I hope this makes sense!

Even if my idea is terrible, I hope it is helpful anyway.

EDIT - I am at my computer now, so I could answer more posts, but uhh. Not really.

I didn't mention that in the twenty years Jaten could have instead of getting +2 cur she could have grabbed +2 faith and had 4 points with the system I propose. Twenty years is a very reasonable ruling time. Furthermore, I don't mind clarifying or typing the Maths I have in my little bored notebook. The 4 points is assuming you roll all 1s. Over 30 years you get 12 skill ups, which is 4 sets of 3.

Have a great evening everybody!
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-21 at 06:00 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

7. - Top - End - #757
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I had a really boring afternoon at work, so I did a rough draft of the Raaneki Games:

Games Description
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arts Contest: Any craft or work of art may be submitted. Prize awarded for finest craftsmanship and overall beauty.

Caragita: A contest in four parts: foot race, long jump, javelin throw, and wrestling. Prizes awarded for individual events. Prize for best overall is the highest honor of the Games.

Duel Tournament: Any blunted weapons may be used. Prize awarded to the overall champion.

Demonstration Events: Noncompetitive display of any cultural artifact (e.g. weapons styles, poetry, etc.).

Mass Melee: Party-based combat against all realms from other parties. Prize awarded to the last party standing.

Mock Naval Battle: Two pairs of ships face off in Bandar Harbor. Prize awarded to the overall champions.

Mounted Race: A race in three parts from Bandar to Sarab. Prize awarded to the first to enter the gates of the city. Any mount may be used.

Ranged Tournament: Any ranged weapons may be used. Prize awarded to overall champion.

Schedule
    Spoiler
    Show
    Day 1

Day 2

Day 3
    Duel Tournament in Sarab
    Mass Melee in Sarab

Day 4

Day 5
    Arts Contest in Sarab

Day 6

Games Mechanics
    Spoiler
    Show
    [/table]

Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    In addition to whatever awards are given by their nations, victorious contestants will receive a crown made of berry vines, one years' store of Raaneki wine, and a life size statue of their likeness outside the stadium.

The schedule of events is pure fluff; I think it makes a lot of sense to skip back and forth through the days as desired when it comes to participating and posting.

My biggest worry at this point is either that there are too many events, or that it's generally going to be a nightmare to coordinate. Thoughts?
    Maybe ask one country each game to co-host the games with you, to help coordinate the stuff? That would also make the games even more internationally oriented imo.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

My next question is, on the next round I will get increases +1 to military for making 2 military actions.
    yes, and you can improve one more stat as well if you have a stat that also has 2 actions, or 2 more actions of military.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

@Wombat: I couldn't help but notice that Errick reached adulthood this turn. You should send him to Ashenia to continue his studies and learn of his noble heritage. Or not. It's up to you.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    @Wombat: I couldn't help but notice that Errick reached adulthood this turn. You should send him to Ashenia to continue his studies and learn of his noble heritage. Or not. It's up to you.
    Good thinking! I think I might. Lyra likely visited a couple turns ago, but I never stated as such, because it was a busy week. We shall ammend that here, but I'll need him back! That's a heir you've got there.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Good thinking! I think I might. Lyra likely visited a couple turns ago, but I never stated as such, because it was a busy week. We shall ammend that here, but I'll need him back! That's a heir you've got there.
    Accursed busy weeks... They should be banned and everyone given free icecream.

Excellent. And why wouldn't we give him back? Holding onto him for too long would simply create an international incident of the worst kind. Still, it would be nice for him to meet his relations and play with his cousins.
    I'm not sure whether it would take an action to send him to a foreign University and royal court for his education... I don't think it would if it isn't part of a diplomatic agreement. After all, members of royalty often attend foreign schools.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #762
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    yes, and you can improve one more stat as well if you have a stat that also has 2 actions, or 2 more actions of military.

Why is the Rum gone?

Sir Rikkan

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Well, my suggestion is pretty much what I already posted a deceased ruler gives their heir a +3 for their 8s and ups, a +2 for their 6s and ups, and a +1 for their 4s and ups.

Maybe it's a pool of minimum +6 mods and if you have the skills to utilize the pool they take priority. So, if you have a leader with all < or =3s then you have a pool of +6 you can pull from to add to ability scores (maybe maxing out at adding +2 to any one score) however if you have a leader with 3, 3, 3, 4, 3 then their heir would automatically get +1 from the pool to the 4 ability score but then there's still a floating +5 that can be distributed (perhaps to not to any stat that has been modified) Does that make sense? I'm not in love with the idea but I'm spit balling.
    It's pretty hard to understand what you mean there.

I'm thinking perhaps rather than tackling the main inheritance system I should instead just up the bonuses for new players and unrelated new rulers a little. Like new rulers getting one +2 and two +1s to freely distribute over their attributes. That's similar to two bonus rounds worth of increases, which is probably only one less than your typical heir in a ruling family. That's make it fairer for those who want countries without a primary ruling family, like Guilder and the Jeweled Cities (and Raaneka, I believe?).

I briefly had the idea to have Luck be constant across rulers, but that'd just be confusing.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

14. - Top - End - #764
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I briefly had the idea to have Luck be constant across rulers, but that'd just be confusing.
    Unless there Irish.......

Sir Rikkan

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

It's pretty hard to understand what you mean there.

I'm thinking perhaps rather than tackling the main inheritance system I should instead just up the bonuses for new players and unrelated new rulers a little. Like new rulers getting one +2 and two +1s to freely distribute over their attributes. That's similar to two bonus rounds worth of increases, which is probably only one less than your typical heir in a ruling family. That's make it fairer for those who want countries without a primary ruling family, like Guilder and the Jeweled Cities (and Raaneka, I believe?).

What if inheritance follows the way you proposed, and rulers that aren't inheritance based get to rearrange their stats they rolled?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Maybe ask one country each game to co-host the games with you, to help coordinate the stuff? That would also make the games even more internationally oriented imo.
    I also like that idea.

Also, just curious ZapDyn. I'm trying to wrap my head around why art is in there. It makes sense. It doesn't make sense. My brain is such that I'm trying too hard.

For a form of art, would you be against dance being added so art isn't lonely? I feel it would bring more of the art side into it without sacrificing the physical nature of the games. EDIT - I'd think it'd be a Cur/Mil hybrid roll. Tekorva already practices capoeira 「because I was too lazy to come up with a cool sounding martial art and really like capoeira!」

\Clearly I shall perfect the dance of Tekorva before the next Games.\

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    You should send him to Ashenia to continue his studies and learn of his noble heritage. Or not. It's up to you.
    Hossssssstage!

Why is the Rum gone?
    Because nobody has resource 「Sugar Cane」! IT IS DISASTER!

Come on guys. Let's discover sugar cane for the good of the alcoholics!

I'm thinking perhaps rather than tackling the main inheritance system I should instead just up the bonuses for new players and unrelated new rulers a little.

If that is what you're trying to do then that's a good idea. You know what they say. KISS! 「Stands for Keep It Sympol Simple Silly!」

It'd be like Wordiness then though, unless the stat's mechanics are what would confuse it.

\Yes, I realize Luck is probably not arbitrary stat. ;) \
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-21 at 08:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

How confusing it is would really depend on what luck does :P

Maybe luck just decreases by a set number each time you change your ruler. Then you don't want to go through them too fast, cause your luck might run out. I mostly just wanted to slip that pun in... v.v

It could balance out the desire to jump through them quickly for those +3s. Make it -2 and allow them to put the +3 in Luck if they want and it doesn't seem too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Good thinking, Waylander! I like that idea a lot.

Rain Dragon, originally I hadn't intended to make arts a part of the games, but as I was researching I learned that they were a part of the Ancient Olympics, and part of the modern Olympics until the 1940s. It was weird to me at first, but I think it emphasizes the peacefulness of the games nicely.

And a dance event would be great! I tried to leave the specifics of the Arts Contest and Demonstration Events wide open for interpretation, so people could add whatever they felt was appropriate.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2014-02-21 at 08:53 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Good thinking, Waylander! I like that idea a lot.

Rain Dragon, originally I hadn't intended to make arts a part of the games, but as I was researching I learned that they were a part of the Ancient Olympics, and part of the modern Olympics until the 1940s. It was weird to me at first, but I think it emphasizes the peacefulness of the games nicely.

And a dance event would be great! I tried to leave the specifics of the Arts Contest and Demonstration Events wide open for interpretation, so people could add whatever they felt was appropriate.
    Now, that's why it made sense. But it didn't make sense. It kinda made sense, but I was looking through the fluff for background on it where clearly there wasn't much.

It really fits your people though. Really.

Oovrah, let's go dansen! Unless I'm the only one interested.

\In which case, I will keep the happy dance of my people to myself!\

20. - Top - End - #770
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Games Description
    Spoiler
    Show

Schedule
    Spoiler
    Show
    Day 1

Day 2

Day 3
    Duel Tournament in Sarab
    Mass Melee in Sarab

Day 4

Day 5
    Arts Contest in Sarab

Day 6

Games Mechanics
    Spoiler
    Show
    [/table]

Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you have to spend any action points other than a point for sending a representative and the part that comes with them?

Sir Rikkan

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Ugh. Penalizing you for your rulers dying when the main way they'll be going is conquest, and it already causes instability even if you weren't invaded? That's a terrible idea.

Especially as dropping Luck with each ruler almost certainly means that, after a certain point, it's an automatic game-over, since your heirs will never reach adulthood.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you have to spend any action points other than a point for sending a representative and the part that comes with them?
    A-nope. With the events you can roll several things into one, such as trade and alliance agreements.

「Unless it gets changed because so far, events are /really/ good right now.」

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Ugh. Penalizing you for your rulers dying when the main way they'll be going is conquest, and it already causes instability even if you weren't invaded? That's a terrible idea.

Especially as dropping Luck with each ruler almost certainly means that, after a certain point, it's an automatic game-over, since your heirs will never reach adulthood.
    Yay C'nor!

I think Morph's most recent idea counters that. I'm just cruel and enjoy watching someone claw back.

We don't know what Luck does yet, but on the positive side we know that everyone who has only Luck 1 is still alive so far.

I look forward to your IC actions! I want to see what Lilium does next...

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

...Wait, Lilium? That's a name I use alright, but... Not in this?

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

...Wait, Lilium? That's a name I use alright, but... Not in this?
    Incarnating a spirit of shadows, as part of a cult to it; said spirit is known as Lilium, Archon of Shadows, having taken on the name of her host, and Archons being the equivalent of Angels.
    Should I have called the spirit simply 'Archon of Shadows'?

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, her! Whoops. Sorry about that, no, Lilium works for her.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, her! Whoops. Sorry about that, no, Lilium works for her.
    Oh yeah, yes. Those. I can't wait to see where this leads because I haven't seen much quite like it. Which is fine, but this just stands out in very stark contrast and I am at the edge of my cushion to read more.

Is your PM box open? Did you catch the I think... Last one I sent you? If you have it, I don't need to harass you /too/ much.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    A-nope. With the events you can roll several things into one, such as trade and alliance agreements.

「Unless it gets changed because so far, events are /really/ good right now.」
    You must spend an action if your ruler does anything that would require an action normally, like making an alliance, or something of the sort. Originally it was you must spend an action to go at all, but recently we've been treating it as you can go, you just can't do anything. Frankly, this seems strange to me, because if your ruler is there, you should have to spend an action. After all, it's not like he/she's not making the effort of travel, even without an alliance in his belt afterwards.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Is your PM box open? Did you catch the I think... Last one I sent you? If you have it, I don't need to harass you /too/ much.
    It is, and I have no idea because I don't know if the last one I got is the last one you sent.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

United Lacertian Dominion
    Region 45, Lorick

Potentate Kelarth the Conqueror

Diplomacy: 2
    Military: 5 (4+1)
    Curiosity: 4
    Faith: 4 (3+1)
    Luck: 2

Link to the rolls.

Population: 23,000

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    The Dominion's land is almost entirely a frozen, mountainous wasteland. Most life in the region exists either in burrows within the mountains, or in the relatively mild valleys. Monstrous things are rumored to live at the unbearably cold peaks, but such things are usually dismissed as nothing more than legend.

The Great Cavern: Also called the Great Burrow, many entrance points throughout the Narrow Peak Mountains lead to this same point. It is rich with ores, and as such is used as a massive mining facility, but it also serves as a strong defensive point, and has been used accordingly in the past. Strange, glowing crystals form in clusters throughout the cavern, which are commonly believed to grow over the graves of those killed in cold-blood. Some even say the crystals contain the power of these spirits, but none have been able to actually remove them from their clusters.

The Hungry Fissure: An expansive pit that leads into the heart the Raging Mountain. Volcanic activity can be seen in the core, but there haven't been any eruptions in over a hundred years. In ages past, it was used to execute murderers, thieves, and heretics, feeding the fissure to calm the mountain. This practice died out, however, to save the trip whenever executions where to be practiced. Despite this, whenever a mass execution is to be held, sometimes the trek to the fissure is made as an act of remembering and honoring the ancestors.

The Fields of the Elders: This valley was once the site of a great battle between two clan leaders. It is said that both armies died to the last, and the field is now a holy place where priests are ordained. Many make pilgrimages to the fields to pray and receive guidance from the ancestors. It is even said that if one can withstand the cold of the night, the spirits themselves rise from death and personally give advice and gifts to those before them.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    The Lacertians are the carnivorous cousins to common lizardfolk, adapted to northern environments. Notably, they birth live young instead of eggs. They have black, jagged scales, and are somewhat tall by human standards, typically standing from 6-7 feet tall. They have long tails, some reaching 12 feet. Males are typically larger, and are distinguished by having 4 horns at the back of their skulls and a reddish tone from their throats to their bellies. Females do not have horns, and have a greyish-white tone for their underbellies. Lifespans can reach as much as 150 years, though the vast majority die long before this point, either in war, mining, or disease.

Until very recently, the Lacertians lived as different clans, but in 345 they were unified through conquest by Potentate Kelarth, forming the United Lacertian Dominion. The ULD has very strong gender roles, with males taking roles in military, mining, and animal handling positions, and females taking roles as artisans, craftsmen, and priests.

Male first names end in "th", while female first names end in "thi". A great insult is to add an "i" to a males name or remove it from a females, implying that individual is veering out of his or her strongly regimented cultural and gender role. Instead of surnames, males are given a trial at the age of 12, which they gain a title from if they succeed. At that time, they legally become citizens, and are expected to fight for their clan, though they are still children, and are often still treated as such. Through their life, they may gain different titles from more impressive deeds, which are used instead. Before their trial, males have the title "The Meritless". Females gain last names by their relationship to males. If married, they take their spouse's name with the hyphen -Sha, if his first wife, or -Sho if a later one. If unmarried, they take their father's name with the hyphen -Pa or -Po, depending on their mother's hyphen.

Males reach maturity at the age of 16, and take their first wife at that age. Females develop slower, fully maturing at the age of 20, which is when they take their husband. Marriages are always performed on the summer solstice, and most clans have a specific area that all marriages take place in. At the solstice, those of age gather, and each 16 year old male chooses a 20 year old female (there are almost always many more females, as many males die either in their trials, or in the constant wars between the clans). Males must stay with their wife for life, however, if the female is displeased with her husband, she may leave, taking the children born to her and becoming a priest.

Despite recent unification, the clans of the Lacertians hold an uneasy peace with each other, with many past generations of fighting still remembered. This reveals itself especially at times of worship, as they must now also praise the dead of different clans, including those that had killed members of their clan. However, worshipping their leader, Potentate Kelarth the Conqueror (who is a god, or living-ancestor, in his people's eyes) typically comes immediately after worshipping their ancestors, and reminds them to keep their unity or risk angering their god-king.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    The Dominion has vast amounts of ore littered throughout it's land, especially rich in iron and adamantine. It is also home to the Great Lizards, large reptiles that serve an important role in Lacertian society as a source of meat, eggs, and leather. Though they are used as beasts of burden and mounts as well, they do enter brumation (which is basically reptilian hibernation) for 2-3 months every year. The Lacertians lack medicinal herbs which grow more readily in milder climates. More reliable beasts of burden, and variety in their meats, are also wished for.

Exports:
    Iron (good)
    Adamantine (good)
    Great Lizards (good)

Imports:
    Herbs (required)
    Cattle (Cows, Elephants, etc) (desired)
    Meat (desired)

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    The Lacertians worship their ancestors, venerating all past Lacertian people, with a preference for the ancestors of their specific clan. Each clan has a few particular heroes who are venerated above the other spirits, acting as the gods of the Lacertian religion over the common spirits, who function as guides and guardians.

Additionally, their current leader, Kelarth the Conqueror, is viewed as a living ancestor. His actions and ability to unify the clans are seen as so great that he is venerated as though he was already a spirit, essentially acting as a god among mortals. He is also believed to be the bridge between mortals and spirits, and may commune with them in a much clearer and straight forward way than others, including the priests who train specifically for this duty.

Priests, who are always females, serve to interpret any warnings from the ancestors. They are not allowed to marry and take oaths of celibacy. As well as religious service, they also record history, act as judges, and raise all the children of all the clans until they reach age 12, during which time males undertake their trials and females go and learn their craft. Children spend all their time raised by the priests except for a two-week celebration each year, which they spend with their families. However, families may visit their children any day when the child is not being culturally educated.

Spoiler: Technologies
    Show
    The ULD have only been unified for a decade, and though the march toward civilization has begun, the Lacertians are far from advanced

Spoiler: Leadership
    Show

Potentate Kelarth the Conqueror Age: 51
    Kelarth is powerfully built and a skilled combatant. He waged a 15-year-long war that unified all the clans into the Dominion, ending with the Great Siege of the Narrow Peaks in 345, when he sealed his conquest by taking his third wife. This feat earned him godhood in his people's eyes, and his strength holds the Dominion together. Should he die, it is unclear if the clans will remain unified.

Lythi Kelarth-Sha Age: 55
    As Kelarth's first wife, Lythi's acts as Kelarth's advisor. Unlike the other politically motivated marriages, Kelarth and Lythi are deeply in love, and are undyingly loyal to each other.

Malirth the Cunning Age: 34
    As Kelarth's oldest male child, Malirth is the heir to the throne, though any of his brothers may challenge him to ritual-combat for the crown. He is a shrewd tactician who played a large role in the Conquest of the Clans, and is regarded as a hero by his people.

Malirth's oldest son is Renth the Just, age 17.
    Renth's oldest son is Chendath the Meritless, age 1.

Family Tree
    Last edited by Lorick; 2014-02-24 at 03:46 PM.
    Coven Wars (Just clicking would make me happy)

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the main way rulers will be going is old age actually. I realize most players started with healthy young rulers, but once you reach a certain stability the length of every rule will be the difference between their age and the previous rulers age give or take a few years.

e.g. My father is 20 years older than me, I become king when he dies. My son becomes king when I die. I'll probably live about as long as my father so if he dies at 70, I'm king at 50. I live to be 70 then died, an my son, is about 50 and king.

It doesn't really matter how long your royalty live either, it's literally just about how much older they are than their heir.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.