New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Explorers of Acacia - Main thread

Algrith looks around at the others, as they mill about, trying to decide how to proceed.
    "Why don't the rest of you gather your things. I'll get us all something for the road and we can be on our way?" he says, bemused look on his face.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

Kel nods, Yes let us be on our way. I have all of my belongings with me right now so I don't need to gather any supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

As he stares into the recesses of the wood, examining each object at some length, Lyral ponders just how long the creatures are willing to wait at the edge of the darkness. The spell the elf cast won't last forever, and as soon as the light is gone, they will advance. Lyral calls out to Osulu.
    "If you don't have any light spells, they'll attack us. It's no trouble for me, but I think it might slow us down some." Lyral reaches into the box, taking out each item one at a time. He hands the book and the hat to the elf, sheathing the dagger with the 'skinning knife' at his hip.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-11-05 at 02:57 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    As he stares into the recesses of the wood, examining each object at some length, Lyral ponders just how long the creatures are willing to wait at the edge of the darkness. The spell the elf cast won't last forever, and as soon as the light is gone, they will advance. Lyral calls out to Osulu.
    "If you don't have any light spells, they'll attack us. It's no trouble for me, but I think it might slow us down some." Lyral reaches into the box, taking out each item one at a time. He hands the book and the hat to the elf, sheathing the dagger with the 'skinning knife' at his hip.
    "Well then, let's get out of here." He briefly looks in the book. "This would seem to we what I came for. You do remember the way back out, right?"
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-11-05 at 06:27 PM.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Shaking himself, the hunter stands upright once more.
    "Of course. Follow me." After smirking for a moment into the shadows, Lyral strides out of the chamber back towards the ladder to the surface, waiting for Osulu and his light as he does so. As much as it would give him pleasure to test his mettle against the beasts of the earth, today was not the day for such sport. His job came first.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaking himself, the hunter stands upright once more.
    "Of course. Follow me." After smirking for a moment into the shadows, Lyral strides out of the chamber back towards the ladder to the surface, waiting for Osulu and his light as he does so. As much as it would give him pleasure to test his mettle against the beasts of the earth, today was not the day for such sport. His job came first.
    Once back in the light of the outside, he looks in the book again before saying "This is indeed it." He looks at the hat... "I don't really know what this is. You want it?"

For those in town:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You all get the carriages ready, and any bags loaded in.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

The sunlight had intensified since they went below: Lyral has to squint as he clambers out onto the surface once more. Once there, he examines the hat, shrugging at Osulu. He pockets the hat wordlessly, perhaps it would fetch a fair price at the markets in town. Lyral nods at the elf before heading back towards the main road.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ogre in the Playground

The sunlight had intensified since they went below: Lyral has to squint as he clambers out onto the surface once more. Once there, he examines the hat, shrugging at Osulu. He pockets the hat wordlessly, perhaps it would fetch a fair price at the markets in town. Lyral nods at the elf before heading back towards the main road.
    You get back to town. "Thank you for all your help." He sorts out any payment issues (I can't remember if he paid or not) and departs. You spot the others from the battle earlier loading into carriages.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Algrith starts to get into the carriage and wonders where this little adventure is going.
    As he sits, he turns to Imaran.
    "What bits of knowledge, besides this obvious adventure, do you think we can glean from this new town? I find it exhilarating that we are hunting down some dangerous felon. It feels like some fantastic journey straight out of some novel." He leans back with a very satisfied grin on his face.
    Looking at Tarmikos, he wonders for a moment if the grim warrior feels the same way.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Pocketing the half of the fee he typically earned after a job's completion, Lyral strides over to where some familiar faces are preparing for their journey. It was only to be expected that they would be nearby - Cleveport didn't have that many northern gates. He calls out to the other adventurers.
    "Going someplace?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tarmikos leans on the side of the carriage as the others pack, not feelings particularly wordy at the moment. But when he hears Algrith's merry remarks and notices his glance, Tarmikos stares at him for a moment, before looking back to the sky.

It never fails.... Always gotta be one in every group. Last time, it was me... After thinking to himself, he openly responds. "The man we're going after has spilt enough blood to drown an elephant, and won't be tricked or captured easily. Feel free to be positive, but don't lose sight of how dangerous he and those working with him really are, Algrith. There's not much room for error. Hopefully this next town will be the last place he ever steps foot in."

After his comment, he over hears a familiar voice. "Hey, Lyral. Yeah, it's about time to start moving. These guys decided to pursue the target as well, and we think he's headed north. What are you up to?"
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-11-07 at 02:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

At the bard's question, Lyral only gestures towards the disappearing form of Osulu in the crowded square.
    "Did a job and got paid. I'm guessing you're talking about Cruorin?" He moves towards the others, wordlessly offering to help with the packing.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

Kel looks over at Lyral and sighs, he thinks to himself, Him again? I hope he restrains himself in the future. I don't need him being a complete lone wolf character. Lets hope this works out.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Nice to see a successful venture around here." Tarmikos responds as he watches the hunter, eyebrow raised. "Yeah, that's the name. You interested in tagging along? We could use every hand we can get."

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Algrith starts to get into the carriage and wonders where this little adventure is going.
    As he sits, he turns to Imaran.
    "What bits of knowledge, besides this obvious adventure, do you think we can glean from this new town? I find it exhilarating that we are hunting down some dangerous felon. It feels like some fantastic journey straight out of some novel." He leans back with a very satisfied grin on his face.
    Imaran reaches up and stretches. We'll see when we get there, wont we?
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Lyral nods silently in response to Tarmikos' question. He had given himself plenty of time to cool down and work off some stress. Now it was time to do something meaningful. He smiles at the bard before loading the last of the belongings and hopping onto the wagon.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-11-09 at 06:52 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

The carriages take off, with all of you on board. You estimate the trip to you destination will take 4 hours, assuming no interruptions.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ogre in the Playground

Imaran half turns on his carriage to face Algirth.

I heard, or rather, read an interesting dissertation an the relative merits of different colored and shaped insignias the other day in the library. It seemed to argue that the best colors for an empire would be red and gold, as red is the first color that comes to one's mind as such (apart from reminding the populace of the occupation of soldiers), and gold symbolizes power. Conversely, the best colors for a thieves guild are dark and monochromatic, and overwhelmingly end up as black. By reminding people of your office, it seems, you gain much more respect. I wonder what color would best suit a group such as us?

Imaran waves his hand around the assembled group.

Perhaps, were we to all wear red, people would associate us with blood and death and respect us that much more. Though then people would fear us. Perhaps it would be best to interchange between differently colored sets of clothing depending on whom we are meeting with.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post
    Imaran half turns on his carriage to face Algirth.

I heard, or rather, read an interesting dissertation an the relative merits of different colored and shaped insignias the other day in the library. It seemed to argue that the best colors for an empire would be red and gold, as red is the first color that comes to one's mind as such (apart from reminding the populace of the occupation of soldiers), and gold symbolizes power. Conversely, the best colors for a thieves guild are dark and monochromatic, and overwhelmingly end up as black. By reminding people of your office, it seems, you gain much more respect. I wonder what color would best suit a group such as us?

Imaran waves his hand around the assembled group.

Perhaps, were we to all wear red, people would associate us with blood and death and respect us that much more. Though then people would fear us. Perhaps it would be best to interchange between differently colored sets of clothing depending on whom we are meeting with.
    Kel looks at Imaran, Why would we WANT people to associate us with blood and death? If anything I would want the opposite, I want people to associate my arrival with peace and life. Do we need to intimidate the common man for us to gain respect? Then we are no better than the thugs that attacked us recently.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Kel looks at Imaran, Why would we WANT people to associate us with blood and death? If anything I would want the opposite, I want people to associate my arrival with peace and life. Do we need to intimidate the common man for us to gain respect? Then we are no better than the thugs that attacked us recently.
    Jorah, finding the banter interesting, joins in. "Ah, but what if the common people are not those who fear us? Blood and death ought to terrify evil as surely as good, no?

On the other hand, can we say we have earned respect by wearing such colors? Is profitting from the intimidation most often done by those of evil intent evil itself?

For that matter, why ought it matter if we are feared or respected? Will the colors we wear aid in our missions, or not? Is there a purpose to these questions, or indeed, an answer?"

Jorah shakes his head at himself. "Sorry. I'm not entirely certain where that came from. Must be my philosophical streak shining through."
    Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    You sir are 30 gallons of awesome in a 10 gallon hat.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Lyral sits in the corner of the wagon, looking out at the passing countryside. Upon mention of intimidating and spreading fear however, his mouth spreads slowly into a feral grin. He considers the suggestion, meanwhile ensuring to himself to keep a close eye on Imaran in the future. Waiting until Kel and Jorah to are finished, the hunter takes center stage.
    "I think it's a good idea to intimidate our enemies, but as a tactic it might not always be effective. In the woods, wearing red gets you killed pretty quick. I like your plan of having different outfits though; I've always wanted to wear red." That said, he leans back and continues to stare outwards at the beauty of nature's kingdom.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-11-14 at 06:18 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

"When it comes to colors, Red sticks out too much. Blue blends in well at night, and doesn't quite catch the eye so badly in the day." Tarmikos responds, pulling on his jacket with a smile.

"And when it comes to tactics, I'm not a bit fan of intimidation myself. The people that deserve it normally aren't so easily frightened, and those that are can usually be reached by better means. Making deals and trying to talk it out has certainly served me better..."

Stopping for a moment, he looks at the others. "Which reminds me; care to remind me how'd you all end up in that place? Just traveling, or on business?"

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

Imaran shrugs.

I have lived in the Underdark most of my life. People spoke often of the goodness of those who lived on the surface, and the plenty everywhere. I decided I would come to see it. Thats where I met Algirth, and since then ive been tagging along on his quest.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP

Completed Classes

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Algrith, enthralled as always by the bits of information his friend unearths, thinks about what he is told.

"I would think, currently, that we would want to go with something subtle, some color that the eye 'slides' off of, if you get my meaning. Personally, I find the color of gold a bit... tacky. I've always found silver more to my liking. I like Tarmikos' idea but I think we might all look a bit funny running around with the same blue clothes... I don't think that would be subtle at all." with that, he laughs a bit, in spite of the serious discussion.
    "Ever in search of information... knowledge. There is magic in everything and everything is magic but the key to unlocking the wonders of the universe is knowledge. To gather knowledge is to help understand all aspects of life and its many interactions. Even to explain the actions of our quarry."

25. - Top - End - #865
    Troll in the Playground

Kel listens to the conversation before speaking again, I was simply passing by trying to see what I can do for the town. While the woods often need healing I have found that if a town is flourishing and safe the wilderness around the town is also fairly calm and balanced.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

Several daggers come flying out of nearby trees, wounding one of your horses, bringing it, and by extension you, to a stop.

Spoiler
    Show
    We will be using the brackets, so here is the WIP table (I still need some rolls). Kel, you get to act in this surprise round before combat proper starts. As before, a "*" means you can act.

Lyral: 20
    Leader: 17 (mod +5)
    Imaran: 17 (mod +1)
    Grunts: 15
    *Kel: 12
    Jorah: 8

Map:
    Code:
    ......................."""""".
    ......T..............T."""""".
    .................T....."""""".
    ......................""""""..
    ....................""""""....
    ..................""""""......
    ...........t....."""""".......
    ..............."""""".........
    ..............""""""..........
    ..............""""""...t......
    ........t.....""Hh""......T...
    .............."----"..........
    .............."|++|"..........
    ..........T..."----"..t.......
    .............."""""".....T....
    ....T.........""""""..........
    .............""""""...........
    ............""""""............
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-11-16 at 09:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

Kel spots the enemies right before they throw their knives, Kel yells out AMBUSH! DUCK! He casts entangle on the group while he jumps out of the cart and moves next to the enemies floating 5ft above the ground. Silvan also jumps out and charges towards a foe,
    Attack: (1d20+10)[14]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[9]
    Trip: (1d20+13)[32]

Kel calls out to them, Who are you? Why are you attacking?

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Kel spots the enemies right before they throw their knives, Kel yells out AMBUSH! DUCK! He casts entangle on the group while he jumps out of the cart and moves next to the enemies floating 5ft above the ground. Silvan also jumps out and charges towards a foe,
    Attack: [roll0]
    Damage: [roll1]
    Trip: [roll2]

Kel calls out to them, Who are you? Why are you attacking?
    "Wha!" The man falls out of the tree. "We seem to have hit some resistance." he says, stating the obvious.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Algrith: 24
    *Lyral: 20
    *Kel: 12

Map:
    Code:
    ......T..............T."""""".
    .................T....."""""".
    ......................""""""..
    ....................""""""....
    ..................""""""......
    ...........t....."""""".......
    ..............."""""".........
    ..............""""""...t......
    ........t@....""Hh""......T...
    .............."----"..........
    ..........T..."----"..t.......
    .............."""""".....T....
    ....T.........""""""..........
    .............""""""...........
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-11-20 at 08:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Lyral's initial reaction to the attack is primal, a low growl of pleasure rising at the back of his throat. Really, bandits had picked the wrong day to mess with him. Twice in a day was pushing things - did they expect to get out of this one alive? The hunter throws himself over the edge of the wagon and moves towards the fallen man, lashing out with all his predatory rage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1: (1d20+12)[26]
    Attack 2: (1d20+7)[26]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-11-20 at 07:59 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

Your furious attack deals a great amount of damage to the man. He goes silent.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Algrith: 24
    Lyral: 20
    Kel: 12

Map:
    Code: