New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

They may be hiding UNS involvement by hiring mercenary fleets. Don't forget also that for some reason a lot of battleplates are close to Earth. They may deploy one of those but only as last resort.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2012-10-12 at 02:39 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Right, I didn't expect that. But isn't TAG a light cruiser? I'd expect a battleship or two to be sent in, and that would be far more difficult.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Right, I didn't expect that. But isn't TAG a light cruiser? I'd expect a battleship or two to be sent in, and that would be far more difficult.
    Don't mistake Schlock ship designations for those 20th/21st century Anglo/American types.

Touch-and-Go was a originally a 450 meter Daehremman destroyer, now cut down to perhaps 300 to 350 meters (I don't believe Howard has said exactly), but still within the same size range as either a UNS destroyer (200-400 meter, eg Breya's flagship Athens was a 400 meter destroyer) or a UNS batlleship (eg, the embassy ship Terra Firminator was also about 400 meters.)

Their relative firepower or mission usage is unclear, but the Colonel Pranger (nee Integrity, later TAG) did not seem overly concerned about being fired on by what they mistook for a battleship.

A Schlockiverse cruiser is much smaller. Both the Kitesfear (Dragon class cruiser) and the Serial Peacemaker (modified Ob'enn troop ship but referred to as "cruiser size") were in the 30 to 60 meter range.

Of course, Ceepee was probably a bit more competent then Ennesby.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Nothing like a weapon delivery system that manages to be about as horrible as the weapon itself.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Whoever the girl is, she looks like she's dead by the fifth panel--even in comics, human jaws are not designed to open that wide! Scratch her being Krum, in that case.

6. - Top - End - #246

NecromancerGuy

That's what I was thinking...

Mmm, bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #247
    Firbolg in the Playground

This leads me to wonder why the toughs didn't have armor when they started, seeing as both Tagons wore the stuff during the terraforming wars. Maybe Captain Tagon just didn't have the budget for the stuff, and never really got into a position to need it until the stupid food commandos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Don't mistake Schlock ship designations for those 20th/21st century Anglo/American types.

Touch-and-Go was a originally a 450 meter Daehremman destroyer, now cut down to perhaps 300 to 350 meters (I don't believe Howard has said exactly), but still within the same size range as either a UNS destroyer (200-400 meter, eg Breya's flagship Athens was a 400 meter destroyer) or a UNS batlleship (eg, the embassy ship Terra Firminator was also about 400 meters.)

Their relative firepower or mission usage is unclear, but the Colonel Pranger (nee Integrity, later TAG) did not seem overly concerned about being fired on by what they mistook for a battleship.

A Schlockiverse cruiser is much smaller. Both the Kitesfear (Dragon class cruiser) and the Serial Peacemaker (modified Ob'enn troop ship but referred to as "cruiser size") were in the 30 to 60 meter range.

Of course, Ceepee was probably a bit more competent then Ennesby.
    That strip suggests that the ship, before being torn in half and rebuilt, wasn't so outclassed by a UNS battleship that it wasn't worth fighting. It does not suggest that they could eliminate even one battleship with the ease that is being displayed in this current fight, especially since NSB readily admits he's not that good at it. Thus, the attack now is not being pressed with the force that I would expect. In other words, it's a trap.

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    That strip suggests that the ship, before being torn in half and rebuilt, wasn't so outclassed by a UNS battleship that it wasn't worth fighting. It does not suggest that they could eliminate even one battleship with the ease that is being displayed in this current fight, especially since NSB readily admits he's not that good at it. Thus, the attack now is not being pressed with the force that I would expect. In other words, it's a trap.
    Or the attacking corvette and support were not aware that Tagon's Toughs were defending this installation. Of course, I expect another bee-keeper-with-flamethrower moment when Tagii comes back online.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Or the attacking corvette and support were not aware that Tagon's Toughs were defending this installation. Of course, I expect another bee-keeper-with-flamethrower moment when Tagii comes back online.
    Assuming, of course, that she hasn't gone completely mad from the isolation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

That would just change the decision of who plays the bees in the analogy.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ventura's reaction can mean one of two things. 1) that processing power is drastically important for some reason that we as non-AI-experts can't guess at. 2) the suicide order has gone through. 1 is probably better than 2, if only because it means Ventura is still around to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

My guess is - it's being consumed by TAGII. She's no longer 'in the ball'... she's literally in the ship...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Remember that one comic we had of "Trapped" Tagii going insane?
    I think what Ventura realized is that, when they disconnected Tagii, all they did was shut her off from the ships systems, NOT the processing power. She's got all that processing power, and nothing to do with it. She just realized that, while they've been talking, Tagii has been trapped, alone, in her own mind, for what feels like centuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    2) the suicide order has gone through.
    I am not an expert on neurotoxins, but I suspect one that was designed with 'retiring' assets in mind would not result in screaming, but rather instant death, preferably with a side-order of brain trauma to ensure they stay dead.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

16. - Top - End - #256

NecromancerGuy

Pretty sure that's her realizing that Tagii has gone rampant and insane due to being improperly shut down.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #257

Wow.

Uhh..... yeah.

Damn.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Um... wow.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

19. - Top - End - #259

It certainly sheds new light on Karl's comment about "If there has to be a sacrifice..." No wonder he's so hard on Kaff "still playing captain"; he's never forgiven him for hesitating. And I expect Kaff's never forgiven himself either and that's why he left active duty.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-21 at 02:05 AM.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

20. - Top - End - #260

BlackDragon

I agree with ChowGuy there. It certainly explains where the current coolness between Kaff and his father started.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey someone that didn't get turned. And an important source of info.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I wonder why she's still herself. Did she never watch TV, and thus not receive the reprogramming, or is it something less likely to be a one-off, such as being female? I could see a transformation into a male soldier failing due to differences in female physiology.

On the other hand, these appear to be the Laz'r'us nannies which are pretty much super-tech, and they're also the same nannies that made her female in the first place; it would have to be something like an oversight by the programmers or a problem with applying an exactly identical program to everyone, it's certainly not a lack in basic capability.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

23. - Top - End - #263

Maybe she is a recent enough gavmogre not to have been rewritten.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

24. - Top - End - #264

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    I wonder why she's still herself. Did she never watch TV, and thus not receive the reprogramming, or is it something less likely to be a one-off, such as being female? I could see a transformation into a male soldier failing due to differences in female physiology.

On the other hand, these appear to be the Laz'r'us nannies which are pretty much super-tech, and they're also the same nannies that made her female in the first place; it would have to be something like an oversight by the programmers or a problem with applying an exactly identical program to everyone, it's certainly not a lack in basic capability.
    There was a female gavmogre in the quarantine, IIRC.

I can't remember which gavmogre this was though I seem to recall her being in charge of the one (Bennie?) that squished his own head.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-24 at 02:21 PM.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #265
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I think it's more likely she just didn't look at a TV since they started broadcasting the activation signal.

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I can't remember which gavmogre this was though I seem to recall her being in charge of the one (Bennie?) that squished his own head.
    Danita, she's an excavation engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Maybe she is a recent enough gavmogre not to have been rewritten.
    Unlikely, given her reference to "lately, I'm the greeter" I'm inclined to think her initial job being pretty much done, she's now being used to fill in on other duties(*). She may in fact have been among the first personnel on the scene, so escaped whatever corruption Crum/Emm later cooked up.

(*) Typical. We engineers do all the work of figuring out how to get the job done, then some ogre bean-counter comes in and says, "OK, thanks, we'll take it from here."

ETA for smiley, lest I offend some ogre bean-counter
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-24 at 03:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267

"The Magic Word".

I was waiting for someone to suggest they bug out. Red-hack is scary stuff.

So, predictions for the other shoe dropping? How soon will it be till something new emerges that makes leaving difficult or impossible? I'm guessing we'll see it tomorrow, and in 10 days Tagon's team, Elf's team, and Kevyn's team will all aware of it.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-10-26 at 09:24 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

My prediction: The evac gets interrupted by Krum's plan B.
    Swoop Falcon

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    My prediction: The evac gets interrupted by Krum's plan B.
    Or Gav negotiates a new contract to retake the base.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

30. - Top - End - #270

BlackDragon

It already *is* difficult to evac, IMHO--they have half their team at the bottom of a six-kilometre shaft, and we have no idea if Ennesby's control over the Touch-and-Go's teraports is precise enough to get them out. If they have to fly out then that's going to take time, and that gives opportunities for something else to happen that stops them in their tracks.

Plus, of course, the decision isn't Elf's to make anyway--it's actually up to Kevyn whether they pull out or not.