New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

So basically it's the best option because the other options are even worse? Makes sense I suppose.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Truly, this is the best of all possible plotlines.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So Quilt is the main character for this arc?

Well, at least his character can't be derailed since he never had a consistent character in the first place.

Still, is it really a good idea to recruit the flesh golem made out of chaos mutants to track down the well intentioned psychic mass murderer who specializes in chaos magic? It doesn't surprise me that Luna thought this would be a good idea though.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Actualy it makes perfectly sense to get Quilt to help, especaly in a situation where you cant use direct divination magic to find Celesto.

Mostly because the better choices are hard to get hold off.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #155
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Actualy it makes perfectly sense to get Quilt to help, especaly in a situation where you cant use direct divination magic to find Celesto.

No. And you know this.

6. - Top - End - #156

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    So Quilt is the main character for this arc?
    I suspect this arc is going to jump around from character to character. My hunch is that this is another "epic" arc like Storm of Souls, War in Hell and (attempted in) March Across Maltak. Probably nearly everyone will end up involved at some point.

Well, at least his character can't be derailed since he never had a consistent character in the first place.
    He was fairly consistently wacky until Facebath turned up and he was inexplicably the straight guy. I'll admit some of his antics as Detective Quilt were amusing (a big exception being the running gag of always scrying up Pam's skirt), but to me he's a more irritating Spark. And Spark himself can be pretty irritating.

Still, it's going to be amusing to see either how Quilt screws this up, or how he should have screwed it up if the Idiot Balls and Deus Ex Machinas weren't in plentiful supply that day.

Edit:@lord_khaine: Uh, no. The main positive I can think for recruiting Quilt is that he's unlikely to be a loyalist to King Dave - that's far from clear from the rest of the Deegan Scooby Gang. But that doesn't matter much if the only mission is "Find Celesto" - they don't have to tell them exactly why they need to find him.

Out of the rest of the cast, if the goal is to find Celesto without divination then it's hard to think of anyone less qualified than Quilt. The only one close to a worse pick is SmugGreg, but he'd immediately go and ask the help of someone else anyway so that's moot. Everyone else is a better choice.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-04-22 at 04:38 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Have I missed something here? Is there any good reason why Dom can't get in contact with Celesto via his standard scrying? Has Quilt ever even SEEN celesto before? Why is Luna of all people calling the shots here when she is least qualified to do so? What's Miranda planning to do about this situation? And really. If what Dom's gone through recently counts as a "mental beating" then I...

huh... I don't actually know how to finish that line. It's not as if there's any sort of retaliatory measures one would feel motivated to undertake, or further level of disappointment one could feel. Neither is there any faith left in Mookie one could lose, or remaining hope for improvement that could be dispelled. And there's not even any point in claiming one shall leave... tried that once already and failed miserably.

Arsenal is to rage as I am to depression.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    Sorry about that, but if it makes you feel any better, I am motivated by science, not malice. I'm curious what happens if I punctuate every post I make in this particular topic with Mookie's catchphrase until I get bored of it. If it really starts driving everyone up the wall, I'll stop.

As for the comic, I suspect Quilt will be doing his typical bumbling, but be a lot more fun to watch than Luna as he does so.

Until something Quilt does causes Luna to put everything together, since Luna Is Great.

That's all from me for now.
    Rock on.
    It's interesting to note that your tone makes it sound so contemptuous, where Mookie just sounds like a dweeb. It is scientifically fascinatin (if viscerally painful).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    As if we needed any more evidence that this comic has trouble combining comedy with drama. Protip: Having your characters act like idiots for comedy purposes in the middle of a dramatic plotline isn't the way to do it.
    Hm. That's going in the notebook for my next endeavor.

Geeze, next you'll say fans appreciate well thought out and consistent storytelling. Who has time for thinking and drawing a comic? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    So basically it's the best option because the other options are even worse? Makes sense I suppose.
    So Mookie designs story arcs the same way most PCs design plans and such; "of all the things I'm willing to do, my sources say this one is the least likely to result with me being on fire, with only nominal disembowelment ratings. Lets do it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    Have I missed something here? Is there any good reason why Dom can't get in contact with Celesto via his standard scrying? Has Quilt ever even SEEN celesto before? Why is Luna of all people calling the shots here when she is least qualified to do so? What's Miranda planning to do about this situation? And really. If what Dom's gone through recently counts as a "mental beating" then I...

huh... I don't actually know how to finish that line. It's not as if there's any sort of retaliatory measures one would feel motivated to undertake, or further level of disappointment one could feel. Neither is there any faith left in Mookie one could lose, or remaining hope for improvement that could be dispelled. And there's not even any point in claiming one shall leave... tried that once already and failed miserably.

Celesto is 'unscryable' (just like the beast and DJ Callan! Wait...) because of his brush with snuggly. So... Yes. Yes indeed, this makes perfect sense. Get the guy who's not the guy with the power to actually scry the guy who can't be scried because of his contact with angry spaghetti.

Also, your training is nearing completion. Soon, when you are too angry for sorrow, and to depressed for anger, you will achieve the balance of nirvana.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-04-22 at 05:08 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    Sorry about that, but if it makes you feel any better, I am motivated by science, not malice. I'm curious what happens if I punctuate every post I make in this particular topic with Mookie's catchphrase until I get bored of it. If it really starts driving everyone up the wall, I'll stop.
    Well, as GLaDOS has taught us, it's not real science unless the experiment is causing pain to humans. So, good job there.

(One is finding it grating on the same level as LaughingMan's earlier SmugGreg avatar. Siuis is right about it coming across as derisive, whereas from Mookie himself the effect is dulled. Possibly because he genuinely believes it's cool... with that knowledge it inspires pity more than loathing.)

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    Rilian had something resembling a personality last time I checked. Do we really want to watch Mookie erase that personality piece by piece?

Miranda is a walking Deus Ex Machina, and..... Yeah, frankly, I shouldn't even need to give a reason why an entire arc about her would be bad.

Milov..... He used to be Siggy's sidekick, and Siggy was Warlord Mustache's son, and I'm reasonably sure no-one wants to remember what happened to Suggy and Warlord Mustache.
    See, these are all meta-reasons. But the characters, in theory, are unaware of this - Dominic and Luna haven't sat around saying things like "Man, I hope my mom doesn't show up, because that would make the resolution of this conflict too straightforward." There's gotta be some kind of internal logic that makes Luna say "It is better to ask the well-meaning but bumbling, incredibly conspicuous zombie to do this than anybody else whose magic phone number I have."

Also, like Wraith pointed out, this is a great piece of Luna characterization.
    Luna: No, you're not going looking for Celesto. It's too dangerous! HEY QUILT ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING.

(other resources to follow - the king has an interest in capturing Celesto too, he's probably got folks looking for him too, use second sight to intercept their intel)
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

I AM THE AVATAR OF RAAAAAAAAAGE!

Mookie has no sense of comedic timing whatsoever.

12. - Top - End - #162

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I'll admit some of his antics as Detective Quilt were amusing (a big exception being the running gag of always scrying up Pam's skirt)
    Ah, there we go - I knew there was another reason as to why Mookie'd bring Quilt back. I'll make that a bet of Pony Demotivators and/or Strip Slays that we WILL get a call-back to that before the end of the week. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Also, like Wraith pointed out, this is a great piece of Luna characterization.
    Luna: No, you're not going looking for Celesto. It's too dangerous! HEY QUILT ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING.
    To Mookie's credit, this isn't something new and is consistent with what we already know. Luna is, and always has been, a sociopath.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

13. - Top - End - #163

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    I AM THE AVATAR OF RAAAAAAAAAGE!

Mookie has no sense of comedic timing whatsoever.
    And no sense of pacing, or tension, or suspense, or realistic dialogue, or consistency, etc.

14. - Top - End - #164

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Ah, there we go - I knew there was another reason as to why Mookie'd bring Quilt back. I'll make that a bet of Pony Demotivators and/or Strip Slays that we WILL get a call-back to that before the end of the week. Any takers?

To Mookie's credit, this isn't something new and is consistent with what we already know. Luna is, and always has been, a sociopath.
    All Mookie would need to do to make Luna seem like less of an uncaring jerk is include one line: "I know this is really dangerous but I need your help." At least have her show some token concern for someone who isn't Dominic.

Luna coming across as a stupid self (or in this Dominic) centered jerkass wouldn't be so infuriating if Mookie didn't want us to see her as all things good and pure. At this point I'm not even sure we really are supposed to like her.

Edit:

And yes, this strip made me hate Luna even more, which I did not think was possible. At this point, the only female character in comics I hate more is Bomb Queen. And at least Bomb Queen seems to be purposely written to be hateworthy.
    Last edited by M84; 2011-04-22 at 06:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Milov is away in the Winter Archipelago. He's pretty important there. Also his scry magic only works on the full moon. And he has anger problems.

Rillian is a very impersonal, observant figure. Basically, don't ask him to do anything unless the world's at stake. Which it is. Uh, what was I trying to say again? He can't be contacted?

Miranda? I got nothing.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, I think I can invent a reason why Quilt is the best non-Dom choice for this. It won't even require making things up, except for maybe some magic stuff.

Quilt, as we all know, is largely made up of bits of The Chosen, thus tying him to Storm of Souls and Chaos Magic in general. Celesto is champion of Chaos, thus tying him to Chaos Magic. Quilt is the best choice because the link between them via the Storm of Souls and Chaos Magic may allow him to wiggle his way past Snuggly's anti-scry stuff when scying.

...Yeah, Ok. That was total BS.

Option 2:

Quilt's second-sight, scrying, and magic all descend from the chaos magic that blah-blah-blah I already explained it. It's Chaos Magic. It doesn't have to play by the rules.

Both of these ideas are pretty lame, but even they'd be better than what Mookie will come up with, because they actually involve remembering what's happened in the strip in the past.

...Also, I'll take the bet that we're not going to see a revival of that terrible joke. Because that would involve Mookie remembering his own archives. 2 Pony De-Motivators.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-04-22 at 08:52 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

17. - Top - End - #167

Before the end of the week? It's friday. I will take that bet. Oh look, I won.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

I'm calling it right now - Quilt will scry up some female's skirt, but - since he's so familiar with her private parts by now - instantly notice that it's not Pam he's looking at. He will then describe what he sees and get to some detail that prompts Luna to cut him off, shocked, after she realizes that he's in the middle of describing her naughty bits. Hilarity! (This will also be a call-back to that one time where he walked in on her shaking her ass in front of Dominic. Double hilarity!)

After she's calmed down, something like the following exchange will happen:

Luna: "Well, at least you're scrying up the pants of someone related to your task now."
    Quilt: "Thanks! I've been practicing!"

COMEDY!

(The random bolding may, of course, be completely different.)
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-04-22 at 10:28 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

No. And you know this.
    YES. Else i wouldnt say it
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst
    (One is finding it grating on the same level as LaughingMan's earlier SmugGreg avatar. Siuis is right about it coming across as derisive, whereas from Mookie himself the effect is dulled. Possibly because he genuinely believes it's cool... with that knowledge it inspires pity more than loathing.)
    We are reaching a point where the researchers have nothing left to test but the other researchers.

I could've sworn that was the setup to one of the Vaults.

On another note, it's good to have you back Khaine.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Wait just a goddamned second. I see what Mookie's doing here. If I recall accurately, Celesto is still in the wild edge... this is just another excuse to have a few weeks of Quilt meeting Bort, and then engaging with whatever random miscellania Mookie dreams up the preceeding day, isn't it?

Please correct me. I want to be wrong about this.
    Last edited by Darkmyst; 2011-04-22 at 12:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, Bort and Classic Quilt would probably be pretty interesting to see.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Actually, Bort and Classic Quilt would probably be pretty interesting to see.
    Perfect for a buddy cop movie.

"One is a wild magic mutant that looks like all the animals of the world are in his family tree. The other is a brainless golem stitched together from magically-empowered bits of cultist corpses. They fight crime!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

In order for them to fight crime, there'd actually have to be some antagonists worth a damn still in existance.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

In order for them to fight crime, there'd actually have to be some antagonists worth a damn still in existance.
    I'm guessing you didn't like the Justice Friends bits on Dexter's lab?

26. - Top - End - #176

Their aim in each episode would be to find and arrest this week's jock/businessman/businessjock before Celesto explodes him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Their aim in each episode would be to find and arrest this week's jock/businessman/businessjock before Celesto explodes him.
    This is sounding more and more like a viable comic. And I don't even particularly like Bort.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    We are reaching a point where the researchers have nothing left to test but the other researchers.

I could've sworn that was the setup to one of the Vaults.
    I know it's
    Spoiler
    Show
    what happened near the end of Cave Johnson's life.

Wait, hold on. You bolded "the"? I feel like Orson Welles is berating me now.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Eh, Sorry. But Realy? NOBODY else to turn to except you stupid comedy relief golem? Not your Super Scry Husband, your SuperScry Miranda?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

How is Miranda hard to get hold of? She's right there.