New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default The White Scourge IC

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: As a fair warning, I'm...not terribly great with opening posts. Never have been. It's a curse. I apologize if this is substandard and whatnot. It'll get better! ... I hope! >_>

It was an overcast day in the skies above Rorikstead, the largest village within three hundred miles in Europe. Behind it's high walls, almost three thousand people lived busy lives, with hundreds of others dotting farmland in the country surrounding the village. Located in what was once northeast Germany, the village is built just off the coast of the Baltic Sea, where many of the locals earn a comfortable lifestyle off the bounty of the sea.

To the south of the village lie the Flatlands - fertile plains that span for miles until hitting the rocky, mountainous central area of the former nation. It is here, in this city, that once every five years that the greatest leaders of men, dwarves and elves convene within the great Hall of Monarchs to discuss trade, agree upon borders, improve relations and work to improve security throughout their respective kingdoms.

This, however, was not a typical assembly. An emergency convention had been called between the kingdoms thanks to the discovery of a once-lost ruin of the old world having been rediscovered - an old bunker, used in the last days of the old days not as a means of protecting themselves from war, but from disease.

From old tomes, it had been known that these places had been used to try and combat the dreaded White Scourge virus - the terrible illness that killed hundreds and thousands each year. While the old world had never found a cure for the dreaded illness, it was possible that what progress they made could be salvaged for use.

Unfortunately, despite the village's large size, they could offer up none of their own militia to delve into this long abandoned research facility - fearing attacks from the southern Blackthorn orc tribe and raids from the Red Ridge Bandits. With little recourse, a missive had been sent out with their fastest couriers - a missive calling for the aid of those who sought an end to the plague, for those who would call themselves adventurers or mercenaries.

Now all they had left to do was wait.

Spoiler
    Show
    Calling For All Adventurers!

The state of Rorikstead seeks the aid of all able-bodied adventurers to come to the aid of the High King Rorik Dietrich V, Mountain Lord Gormlir Hammerstout and Elf Queen Vendethiel Autumnweaver in cleansing the land of the foul White Scourge that has blighted our realm for far too long!

Those whom are brave of heart and have both the equipment and fortitude for dangerous work should present themselves within the Hall of Monarchs in the center of Rorikstead for employment. Compensation will be discussed upon arrival.
    ~ High King Rorik Dietrich V

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The White Scourge IC

The door to the Hall of Monarchs creaked open, and in walked a young man in his early 20s. Lithe and wiry, his wavy brown hair stopped just above piercing green eyes. He wore studded leather armor, and there was a short sword strapped to his hip, a dagger sheathed upside-down on his chest. "I'm here about the White Scourge work."
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

As the door creaked open and the man walked in, another man calls out "Oh here is another one, they are like flies drawn to the light." As the man in studded armor makes his way into the hall, he sees the man that called out to him. He is sitting in a chair, backwards, with a bow and quiver over his shoulder and a scythe strapped to his back, donning leather armor. The man has quite human features, early 20s as well, with a shaved head and face, and grey eyes. The man in the chair then addresses the other man in studded armor, "Well then, what is your name? And why do you think you can help with the White Scourge?
    Intelligent doors FTW

4. - Top - End - #4

"I am called Nevare. The call went out for able-bodied adventurers for dangerous work. That's me. And what about you, archer?"
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Jum the Sad

A stout young man with pale blond hair looks around as he walks through the streets of Rorikstead. He had never been in a town so large before. His home village had less than a dozen families; this one looked to have at least a hundred.

A little girl shrieks as she plays with other children. The stout man flinches at the ensuing laughter. He sighs.

At first no one pays him much attention. He wears no armour and he is armed with but two daggers at his belt and one in his boot. But then a rat with reddish fur crawls out of his heavy backpack and onto his shoulder so it may examine Rorikstead with its own beady eyes. Before he takes another few paces, he hears a whisper:

"Wizard."

Jum the Sad ignores the whisper. He just nods silently and glumly to anyone who catches his eye. He tries to smile.

Eventually he finds the Hall of Monarchs and steps inside just in time to hear the phrase "White Scourge" spoken.

He pauses in the doorway so he might look at the two armed men talking to each other. He puts his rat into his belt pouch to guard his coin and comes closer to the other, much taller fellows, but he stops 10 feet away.

"Hey, fellows. Hall of Monarchs, right?"

Jum tries to summon the energy to be friendly, but his voice sounds indifferent and vague. He can't seem to meet anyone's eye for more than a few moments; then he looks away.

6. - Top - End - #6

Nevare arches one eyebrow at the newcomer. "That's right. What brings you here?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Nevare arches one eyebrow at the newcomer. "That's right. What brings you here?"
    Jum the Sad

The short stout stranger makes a vague and wide gesture with his plump left hand, as if pointing out the land he is standing upon. Then he speaks, enunciating like a yokel.

"Oh, you know, t' Scourge. Got t' kill it before it kills us."

"Even with women popping out babies every year, t' increasing mortality rate will drive us into extinction f' sure."

He sighs. Then he smiles.

"Anyway, I'm here to volunteer. Jum Bissek. Call me Jummy."

He doesn't seem to notice that his belt pouch is twitching.

8. - Top - End - #8

"The name's John Ripley, but my mates call me Ripley." He then walks over to the other man, "Jummy was it? It has been too long since I last saw a dwarf, well welcome to the Hall."
    Intelligent doors FTW

9. - Top - End - #9

Rugar "Rankle" Lagerkoff

Bursting through the door with exuberance, a lean-muscled dwarf scans the room for a moment as he flicks the fire-red pony-tail of braided hair and beard over his shoulder.

Flies ain't attracted to light ye dunder-head.
    he rumbles as he swats a fly that had landed on his scale mail. When's this shin-dig git underway? Ain't a disease I ever feared and my adventurin' skivies are gettin crusty!

The dwarf saunters into the midst of this talkative group of hopefuls, bringing a sour whiff of unwashed...something...with him, accompanied by the *thap thap thap* of a throwing axe slapping against his thigh. It's plain that what his body lacks in hygine, the greatsword at his back makes up for in condition.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

10. - Top - End - #10

As he looks towards the little dwarf Ripley asserts, "I don't know about this one, he looks like he may have a few diseases of his own."
    Intelligent doors FTW

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Allyzedl View Post
    "The name's John Ripley, but my mates call me Ripley." He then walks over to the other man, "Jummy was it? It has been too long since I last saw a dwarf, well welcome to the Hall."
    Jum the Sad

"Jum Bissek," Jum repeats patiently. "Also known as Jum the Reader and Jum the Gravetender."

He still doesn't come closer to Ripley or to Nevare, wary of their armaments, but he turns and his lips part in the first unforced smile he's had all week when Ripley says the word 'dwarf'.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic! View Post
    Rugar "Rankle" Lagerkoff

Bursting through the door with exuberance, a lean-muscled dwarf scans the room for a moment as he flicks the fire-red pony-tail of braided hair and beard over his shoulder.

Flies ain't attracted to light ye dunder-head.
    he rumbles as he swats a fly that had landed on his scale mail. When's this shin-dig git underway? Ain't a disease I ever feared and my adventurin' skivies are gettin crusty!

The dwarf saunters into the midst of this talkative group of hopefuls, bringing a sour whiff of unwashed...something...with him, accompanied by the *thap thap thap* of a throwing axe slapping against his thigh. It's plain that what his body lacks in hygine, the greatsword at his back makes up for in condition.
    Jum moves forward enthusiastically and says, "I never met a dwarf before. My village has only humans...."

Then his nose catches up with his mouth and he stops short and bows shallowly, trying to inhale through his mouth, not his nose.

"Nice t' meet you."

12. - Top - End - #12

Rugar "Rankle" Lagerkoff
    Now that's no greeting for a "dwarf" cousin! he snickers as he wraps Jum in a playful but mercifully brief bear-hug.

Bwahahaha! By Moradin's Gilded Codpiece, I'm startin t' like this bunch already! Me clan o' Lagerkoff named me Rugar. Everyone else named me Rankle. Name kinda stuck... as he absent-mindedly utters the last sentence, his attention is obviously diverted by a stringy glob of flotsam on the bottom of his boot.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Jum Bissek

Jum's very fair skin turns furious red as Rugar hugs him. At 5 feet 6 inches, he is only a little taller than the dirty dwarf.

He ponders holding his breath, then sighs and resumes breathing, simply accepting the awful stink. He puts his arms around the dwarf but very carefully clenches his fists so that he does not touch anything with his fingers.

"And I am Jum Bissek. My friends call me Jum. You can call me Jum if you like."

Despite the ludicrousness of the situation, when Jum says that, he sounds a little weary and sad.

He adds, "Behind me are Ripley and another fellow. I don't know his name yet. All here about the Scourge, I believe."
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2012-08-28 at 01:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Nevare's nose crinkles slightly as the odor of the new dwarf reaches him, but he sniffs a bit and relaxes. "Name's Nevare. I'm guessing I know why everyone calls you 'Rankle.'" He leans to one side and glances out the door, eyes scanning the street in front of the building. "Should we be expecting any more adventurers, or can we go see the Monarchs?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

"At least one more, friends. But never fear for I have just arrived."

Walking in through the large doors comes a man bedecked in shining scale mail, a great sword fit for a giant crosses three spears on his back underneath a shield emblazoned with the symbol of Pelor.
    Wonderful Jell-O Cat avatar made by Akrim.Elf.

16. - Top - End - #16

Nevares whistles at the sight of the newcomer. "Got enough weapons, there? And can you even actually use that sword? It's bigger than you are."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The foe I seek fears no blade. I find those are the times you must prepare for the most. I find the weight of Scourge to be comforting."

With a half-grin the paladin draws a more normal sized longsword placing it's point on the ground and kneeling before the odd group.

"But it seems my manners escape me. I am Sir Rodrick Stonearm, Knight of the Realm and Holy Paladin of Pelor."

Rising from the floor Sir Rodrick sheathes his sword and nods his head to the motley group of adventuerers.

"Shall we proceed?"
    Last edited by JelloCat; 2012-08-28 at 04:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Nevare nods cordially. "Nevare. The others are Jum, Ripley, and Rankle. I'm ready to see the Monarchs when the rest of you are."

19. - Top - End - #19

"I'm ready, let's go."
    Intelligent doors FTW

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Hall was bustling with activity as the adventurers trickled in, one after another, servants moving in and out, cleaning, relaying messages and the like. Meanwhile, guards stood at the entrances of nearly every door, including the large set of double doors at the end of the hall that separated the main lobby and the actual throne room.

When the group of adventurers had finished introducing themselves to each other and had readied themselves for an audience with the monarchs, the guard at the gate - a grizzled old man with a raspy voice and grayed hair - nodded to them curtly. "Go on in there; but mind your manners, mercenaries. If more of your ilk show up, I'll send them in behind you."

The throne room beyond the doors housed two grand fireplaces, one on either side of the room burning a near sweet-smelling wood, allowing their odors to spread throughout the chamber. Upon the walls, large banners were strewn about - one of a great brown bear upon it's hind legs before a blue and white backdrop, a brilliant evergreen before a light green backdrop and at last, an ominous black mountain, behind which a maroon backdrop lie.

At the far end of the room lie three grand thrones, each with monarch sitting upon them and advisors at their sides. On the left-hand side sat the dwarven lord, Gormlir Hammerstout; a large man for a dwarf standing at near 5'1 inches tall with a stout build, made all the larger by the large golden and red plate mail he wore even on his throne. The gruff dwarf's face was, with the exception of his eyes and rather large and bulbous nose, covered with facial hair - a long, black beard that swayed down to his chest, braided lovingly.

In the center lounged High King Rorik Dietrich, a disinterested expression upon his face as he listened to the droning of Gormlir. The king stood at 6'3" with a strong build about him. His face was creased with stress and middle age, his hair an auburn color, a small goatee gracing his upper lip and chin. Unlike his dwarven counterpart, the king wore naught but simple cloth clothing - not unlike that worn by the commoners outside. In fact, if it were not for the golden crown that lay atop his head, he may well have been mistaken for a commoner.

And at last, on the far right hand side sat Vendethiel Autumnweaver, the recently appointed queen of the elven nations in Europe. She was a fair bit shorter than the king, a mere 5'5" with a lithe stature and long reddish-brown hair, wearing a gorgeous gold and green gown that screamed nobility and wealth. Her emerald eyes darted about the room slyly, as though examining every nook and cranny while the kings were otherwise preoccupied until her gaze fell upon the adventurers.

"-And THAT, friend Rorik, is why we need to be getting a proper military together! No more of this relying on militia to solve our problems - bandits only understand one language, and that's FORCE!" The dwarf lord was commenting still once the group entered the room.
    Last edited by Herabec; 2012-08-29 at 01:18 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

"My lords, and Lady," Sir Rodrick added with a smile for the queen, "may I present to you this ragtag group of your humblest servants. This is Nevare, Jum, Ripley, and the good dwarf Rankle. I am Sir Rodrick Stonearm, knight of the realm and Holy Paladin of Pelor." The paladin finishes his speech with a sweeping bow so low his helm almost scrapes the floor.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Jum the Sad

Jum nods agreeably to the human King Rorik and spends the next few moments intently studying the elven queen and the dwarven king. Curiosity brings an energy to his manner that was until then missing.

As he enumerates the attributes of elf and dwarf, Jum seems content at first to let the tall knight Rodrick do the talking.

Some things he'd heard belatedly signals for his attention, but he can't quite remember.... No matter.

Jum takes a deep breath and raises his voice so that he might be heard over the argument between the two monarchs. He frowns a little, trying to put some force into his voice and speak more clearly.

"Kings, Queen. We five are here to volunteer for the mission we heard about, one regarding a ruin that may hold the secret to curing the White Scourge."

"How may we help?"

The effort of speaking like a civilized person seems to tire him, but Jum does enunciate more clearly now.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Verdun Krueger

The druid crouched low, his hand tightly gripping his leather-wrapped staff as he looked at the city's borders from the trees. Just behind, his wolf companion sat down, quickly growing bored of her master's vigil, and found something more interesting to sniff between her paws.

For some time the pair stayed where they were, just watching. Eventually the man rose, the wolf quickly perking up at the sudden movement. Without a word the pair set off, making their way through the trees until they reached the main road, and from there, to the city's gates. As dirt gave way to cobblestones, the druid's passing became marked by the tapping of his staff upon the stones, and the light clicking of the wolf's claws.

He was given a wide berth, partially as he made for a rather otherworldly figure in the busy street - attired in long robes of green atop an animal-hide tunic - but mostly due to the presence of his companion. No one panicked when the wolf came by, for the animal stayed close on its master's heel, never giving more than a passing sniff to indicate any interest in any path but where the druid went. Yet, despite this, most were not wholly comfortable with the beast, and made way for both of them.

Moving through the streets and alleys seemingly without purpose, the young druid finally came to a stop by a community square, where upon a church board was pinned a recruitment notification seeking those who would aid in defeating the White Scourge. Krueger reached out and tore the sheet from the wall, bringing it close and re-reading it. He gave a nod and held the sheet out to the wolf, who curiously sniffed the paper, and at a tilt of the head from her druid, began to lead the way toward the Hall of the Monarchs.

Before long the duo was climbing the steps and making their way through the grand doorway to the foyer of the structure. There they stood, patient and silent, awaiting one to direct them further.
    Last edited by Fremen; 2012-08-29 at 04:19 PM.
    Garruk Wildskpeaker Avatar by Bradakhan

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Verdun:
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the entrance of the grand Hall of Monarchs, the druid and his companion drew more than a few odd glances from the townsfolk and various guards. Even children, who could be found running through the streets in a frantic game of tag would pause and flee at the sight of the imposing druid and his wolf.

"Hold there, traveler," the guard at the entrance of the Hall would say, raising a hand to halt the druid's advance. "If you're an adventurer, your fellows are already meeting with the Monarchs, so you'd best hurry into the inner most chamber - you can't miss them, they're through the great double doors at the far end of the entrance hall. But, the wolf stays out here," he said, pointing at the proud canine.

As he spoke, a couple other guards subtly moved up closer. Rorikstead, while generally peaceful, did occasionally have spats with local wildlife and prideful adventurers. They doubted anything would actually happen, but wished to make sure nothing would nonetheless.

Once Rodrick had introduced himself and his allies, and Jum asked his piece, King Rorik stood from his throne and stepped down one of the many steps separating himself and the party, his arms spreading in welcome. "Greetings, Sir Rodrick - and greetings to the rest of you as well. I thank you for answering our call to arms," he stated before turning his gaze squarely upon Jum.

"And now that you are here, we can begin speaking business. Unfortunately, the situation may have become more...complicated than we'd initially thought," the King spoke before the elven queen, still sitting upon her throne chimed in. "Two human children have gone missing. They were last seen heading in the direction of the ruins we are sending you to," she stated, her emerald eyes observing the group with a near predatory glint.

"Indeed. They've been missing for more than a week, now. It could be nothing - could be bandits. The Red Ridge have been spotted in the area lately, wouldn't put it past those bastards to kidnap children," Gormlir added from his own throne, metal armor jingling slightly as he turned to face the group.

"But onto the real matter at hand; we're sending you to an old ruin two days' travel southwest of here in the plains. The scout who found it claimed that it had been nearly invisible to his eyes until he'd almost tripped over the entrance due to how much the plains have retaken the area," the High King chimed in, taking a map from his advisor's hands.

Sprawling out the map, he'd point to an area a small distance from Rorikstead, circled with a bright red paint. "It is here that you'll find he entrance. According to our scout, he believes it's an abandoned research bunker - these things were scattered throughout Europe before the fall of the old world, and many of them were doing research into the Scourge. It's a promising find," he continued.

"While you're traveling, though, keep an eye out for the children if you could as well. Two boys - the eldest's name is Eric, age fourteen. The younger is Edward, age nine. Eric had a bow with him, but it wouldn't be of much use against bandits or some of the stronger beasts out on the plains," he concluded, just before Vendethiel chimed in once more.

"Do keep in mind however that whatever the bunker holds on the Scourge is your first priority. The children are a far second. If it comes to a choice between getting that information back to us or saving the children, I expect you to leave them to their fates, understood?" she spoke, her words sharp in tone.

"Ah, shut it would you? You wouldn't be sayin' that if it was a couple of elven kids gone missing," Gormlir retorted. "Elven children would not have been so foolish as to -" "ENOUGH! This is not the time for this discussion," interceded Rorik, who sighed and turned once again to the group.

"The information is your mission. Just look out for the kids is all I ask. Do you have any questions?"
    Last edited by Herabec; 2012-08-30 at 05:30 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Find the information, find the kids, bring them back here safe. Sounds easy enough. Do you have any idea what, if anything, we should expect inside the bunker?"

26. - Top - End - #26

Rugar Lagerkoff

The dwarf marches into the audience hall with his new companions, and upon entering makes a deep, slow bow before King Glormir. He then observes the proper Dwarven ettiquette and remains still and silent as a stone as King Rorik explains the situation.

His face remains passive until his King masterfully outwits the Elven Queen, which ellicits a snicker.

When King Rorik finishes laying out the foundation of their mission, and his companions have clarified the details, he takes another deep bow in King Glormir's direction and addresses the Dwarven monarch: We'll not fail, Highness, and if we see sign o' the boys, we'll be sure to fetch 'em home for supper. I got a clean and distinguished record so far, and I don't plan on dirty-in' up m' good name!

He effects a slightly less effort-heavy bow to King Rorik, and an even less effort-laden courtesy towards the Elven Queen, then turns to his new-found companions.

Right fellas, don't be makin' a liar o' me! Time to swing yer picks, we'd best be at it!
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-08-30 at 08:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Ripley inspects the map making note of the terrain that surrounds the location. He then readies himself for the journey. He then addresses his fellow adventurers, "I'm ready to go whenever you are."
    Intelligent doors FTW

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Jum the Sad

Jum listens gravely to everything the monarchs say. His expression changes only once, when they mention the missing children. When he hears that, he looks stricken.

After the monarchs give their speech, he nods. "We understand. Curing the Scourge first, children second."

Jum hesitates. "I do have some questions, though."

"Can we talk to the boys' parents or friends? So that we can know what we need to reassure the boys that we are friendly and not bandits."

"Also, I recently learned that you, the monarchs, were offering compensation. How much?"

He hesitates some more, then blurts out.

"Given that the opening to this research bunker of the Old World was discovered only recently, why the hurry to investigate it?"

"Is there something you're not telling us? Are there others, such as the Red Ridge, that you think may also be wanting to get into the bunker?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Verdun Krueger

The druid looked out from beneath his hood, his piercing eyes looking at first one guard, then another. He didn't move at first, eliciting nervous glancing between the soldiers, but at last he relented and nodded to his wolf. The animal tilted it head, but obediently sat down, tongue lolling.

Krueger left the wolf sitting on the stone floor and joined the others quietly in the throne room.
    Garruk Wildskpeaker Avatar by Bradakhan

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The dwarven lord snickered quietly at how...enthusiastic his countryman was. It was always good when people were eager to get started with the jobs they were hired for. "I'm sure you'll do a right good job of it," he commented.

Rorik, on the other hand, was busy addressing the questions the adventurers posed while Vendethiel pouted on her throne. To Nevare, "Unfortunately, all we've got our guesses. It could be empty, save for ghosts of the past and maybe some crumbling ceilings. Sometimes beasts manage to find their way into these places though - that's why we're sending you and not common folk."

Then, turning to Jum, he addressed the mage's concerns. "You'll find the boy's home just off of the market district. If you need help finding it, just ask a guard for Anke Seiler's house. They'll lead you right to it - be courteous while you're there though. She's been understandably...distraught," he said, glancing at the floor for a moment before continuing.

"As for compensation, you'll each receive 200 gold coins from my treasury, as well as anything of value you find not related to the information we want. If you find the kids while you're out, I'll up the reward to 250. If one of you perish, your friends don't collect your share... And the reason for all this hurry is because any time there's a discovery like this, it's a race against time."

"We want to get there and claim what's inside before anyone else does. Could the Red Ridge be moving for it? It's possible. Could it already be claimed by some other group? Perhaps. That's why we sent out missives immediately. That's why we're sending in mercenaries instead of common folk to delve into it. I don't know what's there, what's on it's way and what's been there."