New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 136 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526274267117 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

People who don't want magnets can always give them away...

Or give them to me! :D

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

2. - Top - End - #482
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Note the wording: the first is to "match" the largest project, the second to "be" the largest project. The difference must of course be $1 to go from a draw to a win.

GW
    Yes, that's right. I'm assuming one dollar increments as all these projects are listed without any cents. The top 40, 30, 25 numbers are all a dollar more than the current projects in that position.

The numbers are all for completed projects. There's a chance that there is something in the works that's bigger than OOTS, but the larger we grow, the less likely that is.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    People who don't want magnets can always give them away...

Or give them to me! :D
    Hey!

Share.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

4. - Top - End - #484

Just a suggestion (admittedly not well thought through) - since most people want autographs, and it isn't viable for Rich to have great quantities of books to sign and ship, how about if he signed sticker sheets that he sent to the warehouse where the staff would stick them in the books? That way you can have more signs, because shipping stickers is way easier and cheaper than shipping books. Sure, that way your book and sign aren't completely one object, and it's clearly not the same as having the book signed, but that could be a compromise for a lot of people to have an autographed copy. Or it could be a different (slightly cheaper) reward.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fan4battle View Post
    Just a suggestion (admittedly not well thought through) - since most people want autographs, and it isn't viable for Rich to have great quantities of books to sign and ship, how about if he signed sticker sheets that he sent to the warehouse where the staff would stick them in the books? That way you can have more signs, because shipping stickers is way easier and cheaper than shipping books. Sure, that way your book and sign aren't completely one object, and it's clearly not the same as having the book signed, but that could be a compromise for a lot of people to have an autographed copy. Or it could be a different (slightly cheaper) reward.
    So something like this:
    $xxx reward: A notecard with Rich's signature. Can add this amount to any other reward to add the signature.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

If I read that right it's more
    $xxx reward: A notecard sized sticker with Rich's signature. Can be placed inside books!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.

7. - Top - End - #487

This Reprint Drive is exciting! It has propelled me into digging out my dusty password and jumping back in to the forums. I've just pledged for my copy of War and XP's and all the associated goodies.

Here's hoping we get to Don't Split the Party and beyond!

Hey Rich, if we go that far, it would be great to see some more special rewards. Hopefully if you add any more crayon drawings or autographed copies, I will be fast enough to snag one next time. *gets trigger finger ready*
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giant on Kickstart
    And as I said elsewhere, if you want all the books at once, just be patient. If we get to Paladin Blues, I'll post an "everything up to the end of the war" package, and if we get to Don't Split the Party, I'll post an "everything so far" package. You can switch your pledge then.
    Anyone have an estimate on what these option would cost? Going by listed prices on Ookoodook, $200 for all? $225?

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Less than $3000 now before we hit "The Mystery Prize" level.

*pauses*

This thing has to slow down sooner or later, dunnit?
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #490
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    You misunderstand. I don't want a refrigerator magnet. It's just going into a landfill someday. If they don't ship it, they save time and money on shipping and can sell my magnet to someone else. I doubt I'm the only person NOT interested in the magnet.

I think you misunderstand actually. You can pledge as much as you want, and when you get to the reward section there is an option that says "No thanks, I just want to help fund it." or something like that. You're under no obligation to get the magnet, no matter how much you donate. Even if you donated 10K, you could choose not to pick any reward if you truly didn't want anything on the list.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Advance Strat.. View Post
    I think you misunderstand actually. You can pledge as much as you want, and when you get to the reward section there is an option that says "No thanks, I just want to help fund it." or something like that. You're under no obligation to get the magnet, no matter how much you donate. Even if you donated 10K, you could choose not to pick any reward if you truly didn't want anything on the list.
    Yes, but he does want a reward: the pdf. He just doesn't want the magnetic doodad that comes with even the most basic pledge that gives him what he does want. He wishes to only get the pdf, not the magnet. That is why I suggested $9: it saves him one dollar, and saves Rich another (looses one, but saves two from not having to mail a magnet). Everyone that doesn't consider the magnet worth it wins.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-01-25 at 12:12 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #492
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Or just pledge the $10 and message Rich saying you don't want the magnet. Even if he forgets/the message is lost, you'll be getting an email asking for your mailing address to send it to and you can decline it (although I'd assume it's better to let Rich know in advance, as they're making only the number of magnets he needs).
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yes, but he does want a reward: the pdf. He just doesn't want the magnetic doodad that comes with even the most basic pledge that gives him what he does want. He wishes to only get the pdf, not the magnet. THat is why I suggested $9: it saves him one dollar, and saves Rich another (looses one, but saves two from not having to mail a magnet). Everyone that doesn't consider the magnet worth it wins.

Grey Wolf
    That actually wouldn't work. Taking from the kickstarter page...

"If the drive is successful, everyone who pledges $10 or more will get a special never-before-seen The Order of the Stick story in PDF format."

2 things I get from that.

1. Pledging only 9 dollars would actually keep him from getting the pdf.
    2. The PDF isn't connected to getting the magnet at all, they just happen to both be at the same amount of money.

So just put in 10 dollars, and unless I'm mistaken, even if you select no reward, he should still be able to get the pdf.
    Last edited by Advance Strat..; 2012-01-25 at 12:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Advance Strat.. View Post
    That actually wouldn't work. Taking from the kickstarter page...

"If the drive is successful, everyone who pledges $10 or more will get a special never-before-seen The Order of the Stick story in PDF format."

2 things I get from that.

1. Pledging only 9 dollars would actually keep him from getting the pdf.
    2. The PDF isn't connected to getting the magnet at all, they just happen to both be at the same amount of money.

So just put in 10 dollars, and unless I'm mistaken, even if you select no reward, he should still be able to get the pdf.
    Unless Rich adds a new reward amount "$9: only the PDF, nothing else". Which is indeed only my suggestion, not something that is currently in effect, for those that want the pdf and not the magnet. And I would not be so sure of your last conclusion. I suspect that if you only pledge, but choose no reward, you don't get any reward, no matter how much money you give. However, I am not so familiar with kickstart I am qualified to say for sure. I do know, however, that if I were in that position (want the pdf, not the magnet), I wouldn't risk it and would go for both, and likely just throw away the magnet. That, however, is wasteful and if it can be done to just add one $9 reward, it would be an easy solution to this situation. Rich obviously can add any number of rewards, since he has been doing so with each update. I am just unsure if he can do one for less than the minimum.

Edit: actually, the minimum is $1, so yes, he can in fact add a $9 reward that would only be the pdf for those that don't want the magnet. However, it might lead to some confusion since he cannot it seems alter the original pledge drive text.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-01-25 at 12:28 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #495
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Unless Rich adds a new reward amount "$9: only the PDF, nothing else". Which is indeed only my suggestion, not something that is currently in effect, for those that want the pdf and not the magnet. And I would not be so sure of your last conclusion. I suspect that if you only pledge, but choose no reward, you don't get any reward, no matter how much money you give. However, I am not so familiar with kickstart I am qualified to say for sure. I do know, however, that if I were in that position (want the pdf, not the magnet), I wouldn't risk it and would go for both, and likely just throw away the magnet. That, however, is wasteful and if it can be done to just add one $9 reward, it would be an easy solution to this situation. Rich obviously can add any number of rewards, since he has been doing so with each update. I am just unsure if he can do one for less than the minimum.

Edit: actually, the minimum is $1, so yes, he can in fact add a $9 reward that would only be the pdf for those that don't want the magnet. However, it might lead to some confusion since he cannot it seems alter the original pledge drive text.

Grey Wolf
    At which point, we pretty much just need clarification from Rich as to how it'd work. That's just what my guess would be from how I understand it right now.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

If you don't want the magnet, give it as a gift to a friend?
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Dang, I was really hoping to see this crack $120K before I had to crash for the night, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Can't wait to see what it is when I get up tomorrow though!

18. - Top - End - #498
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bjornthedwarf View Post
    Dang, I was really hoping to see this crack $120K before I had to crash for the night, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Can't wait to see what it is when I get up tomorrow though!
    Even if it cracked $120k, we won't know what it is until Giant announces it.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    If you don't want the magnet, give it as a gift to a friend?
    That doesn't save Rich the cost of fabrication of and shipment of the magnet now, does it?

20. - Top - End - #500
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been watching the numbers on Kickstarter climb since it started. Amazing. In 3 hours, I have to leave for an exam, and I think it's safe to say we've made it to the Mystery Prize by then. When I get back in 10 hours (at the latest), the big reveal might be already posted – I'm so excited to know what it is!
    (And yes, I definitely shouldn't spend the next minutes refreshing Kickstarter, but there's no guarantee I won't do it anyway. )

On a related note, I'll have to look into this whole Amazon thing before I can pledge. Bleargh. I'll do it tomorrow after my last exam for this term.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lets assume the next book (No Cure...) also makes it back in print, how long would it stay available? Because with two books already ordered, I met my budget and a third book would be too expensive, especially with the strange postage bump (international). Could I wait another year or two to order the newly stocked book?

22. - Top - End - #502
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

About the magnet: You MUST pledge $10 or more, and you MUST select the $10 reward package to get the PDF. If you don't, your information won't even be visible in my list of who to email the PDF to. If you really, REALLY don't want a magnet, then when the survey comes asking for your shipping information, just fill in "No magnet for me please" in the address field. Because I can't go digging through 900+ backers at the $10 level to put a note on one order.

And that said, we are already at the point where it is taking me longer to manage the emails and questions than it is to get things done. As a result, it turns out I'm not going to read this whole thread right now because it looks like there's more commentary than questions. If you have a question that you need answered, send me a message through the Kickstarter system. I will try to check in here too, but I really am too swamped right now to read everything.

EDIT to previous poster: Yes, I expect the books to stay in stock for at least a year after they're reprinted.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

23. - Top - End - #503
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Or just pledge the $10 and message Rich saying you don't want the magnet. Even if he forgets/the message is lost, you'll be getting an email asking for your mailing address to send it to and you can decline it (although I'd assume it's better to let Rich know in advance, as they're making only the number of magnets he needs).
    All I did was message Rich about the magnets and it got taken care of. Now instead of getting 6 magnets I'm just getting the 2 that I need. It was as simple as that. He's been very helpful from what I've seen regarding people's pledges. Send him a message on Kickstarter and I'm sure it'll get taken care of, right after he takes care of the hundred other people asking him about stuff.

EDIT: aw... Giant ninja.
    Last edited by CloakedDancer; 2012-01-25 at 02:13 AM.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CloakedDancer View Post
    EDIT: aw... Giant ninja.
    Must make it hard to hide.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #505
    Pixie in the Playground

$318 left until the mystery prize is confirmed.

I also just noticed two of the people in line to kick Belkar both have VERY good reasons to kick him... I wonder if either pledged for the full ass-kicking.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Must make it hard to hide.
    There are worse things to happen. I just raised my pledge a bit, and I see that I helped push it past the Mystery Prize goal. That's exciting. Onward to Paladin Blues!
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Aaaaand 120,000!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #508
    Barbarian in the Playground

And we've earned the mystery prize! Now I can go to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Firbolg in the Playground

And I can go back to bed.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Aaaaand 120,000!
    Eeeeeeeeeexcellent. The more stuff that gets added, the better value it all seems, and the less guilty I feel about spending as much as I did.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.