New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Ultima Arrow (3.5 Feat, PEACH)

Ultima Arrow (Fighter)
    Prerequisites: BAB +4, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Any ranged weapon), Able to cast 1st level spells, At least one level in a class that grants spellcasting progression
    Benefit: You can infuse your spellcasting power into a ranged weapon that you have the Weapon Focus feat for, and aim towards the sky. Choose a type of ranged weapon that you have the Weapon Focus feat for. Once per encounter, you can unleash a volley of magical energy from your chosen type of ranged weapon. This is a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. You make a single ranged attack roll with your weapon at your highest attack bonus. This attack is made against all enemies within 60 feet of you, and ignores all forms of cover or concealment, except total cover. You need not have line of sight or line of effect to any target, so long as they are within range. Each enemy that you hit takes your normal ranged weapon damage, plus 1d8 force damage (if you are an arcane caster) or sacred damage (if you are a good or neutral divine caster) or profane damage (if you are an evil divine caster) per level of the highest prepared spell/spell slot you have available (this does not expend the prepared spell/spell slot).

This feat is a supernatural ability. Despite the name, this feat can be used with any type of ranged weapon/ammunition.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-02-05 at 12:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Ultima Arrow (3.5 Feat, PEACH)

Seems... powerful. Usually things like this expend a slot. Otherwise, looks neat enough :3

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrawr View Post
    Seems... powerful. Usually things like this expend a slot. Otherwise, looks neat enough :3
    Actually they don't. They're called "Reserve Feats", and they appear in Complete Mage. This feat is slightly more useful (since it affects a larger number of enemies) but you can only use it once per encounter and it has much steeper prerequisites.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Eh, as a reserve feat, it also breaks mould a bit. Usually, reserve feats require the ability to cast a spell tangentially related to the desired effect, and produce a much-weakened effect as a standard action. Ultima Arrow is essentially a double-range Wings of Flurry available to anyone who really wants it at level 3.

The requirements aren't as steep as you think they are, either - Level 3, a weapon proficiency, and another feat that grants casting of a first level spell - simple enough for a Human Fighter, especially one going into a Gish role. And, since that human fighter can have another feat that grants a single second level spell slot, you've now got a level 3 character with +7 to hit dealing 1d10+2d6 damage to every enemy within 60 feet at the beginning of the encounter - thereby ending it immediately. And he can do this every encounter until he levels up! Woo!

Some other things to consider: Although it requires proficiency with a straight bow, it simply states that damage is dealt off your bow - meaning that holding the highest damage bow or the bow you have the highest attack rating are your best bets - meaning this can be an encounter-ending feat at levels 3 and 4, decisive at 5 and 6, and then ignorable from then on as enemies tend to gain more health than PC's.

Perhaps have it scale off caster level (allowing Gish classes like duskblades to make good use of it), but still consume one of your highest level spell slots (instead of limiting it by encounter). Also, if you're going to limit it to a type of bow, specify that it must be done with that bow. If not, the straight bow feat requirement is dilly.

Just my 2c.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrawr View Post
    Eh, as a reserve feat, it also breaks mould a bit. Usually, reserve feats require the ability to cast a spell tangentially related to the desired effect, and produce a much-weakened effect as a standard action. Ultima Arrow is essentially a double-range Wings of Flurry available to anyone who really wants it at level 3.

The requirements aren't as steep as you think they are, either - Level 3, a weapon proficiency, and another feat that grants casting of a first level spell - simple enough for a Human Fighter, especially one going into a Gish role. And, since that human fighter can have another feat that grants a single second level spell slot, you've now got a level 3 character with +7 to hit dealing 1d10+2d6 damage to every enemy within 60 feet at the beginning of the encounter - thereby ending it immediately. And he can do this every encounter until he levels up! Woo!
    I'm not worried if the feat is able to be broken with that type of build. Feats that grant spellcasting are few and far between. You also missed the two other prerequisite feats (Point Blank Shot is a prereq for Precise Shot, and Precise Shot itself is a prereq feat for Ultima Arrow)

Edit: Changed the prerequisites to require that you have a level in a spellcasting class.

Some other things to consider: Although it requires proficiency with a straight bow, it simply states that damage is dealt off your bow - meaning that holding the highest damage bow or the bow you have the highest attack rating are your best bets - meaning this can be an encounter-ending feat at levels 3 and 4, decisive at 5 and 6, and then ignorable from then on as enemies tend to gain more health than PC's.
    It can only be an encounter-ending feat at levels 3 and 4 if you have the feat by then, which you shouldn't unless you're a duskblade with flaws or human (Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Ultima Arrow)

Perhaps have it scale off caster level (allowing Gish classes like duskblades to make good use of it), but still consume one of your highest level spell slots (instead of limiting it by encounter). Also, if you're going to limit it to a type of bow, specify that it must be done with that bow. If not, the straight bow feat requirement is dilly.
    Alright, I'll specify that its done with a straight bow. But I don't want to make it based off caster level. After all, that punishes all kinds of builds like divine crusaders, runescarred berserkers, etc.

I don't want to limit its usefulness to the warrior-lite gishes (who have better things to be doing with their time). I'd rather it be equally useful to the caster-lite gishes.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-02-05 at 03:11 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, first things, Reserve feats don't typically open up off of 1st level spells, they tend to go off of 2nd - 5th level spells and then are powered by a specific type of spell. Not to mention this does more damage than any other Reserve feat or martial maneuver available at that level and those typically only hit one target.

The second is this just makes Cleric archers even more powerful, as an Elf Cleric of Sehanine Moonbow or other elven deity 3/Fighter 1 with Elf domain for the free Point Blank Shot is throwing around 3d8 damage to everything within 60' for no expediture of resources, which is stupid powerful at ECL 4. If you want it more reasonable with typical power levels, I'd make it BAB +4 so picked up at ECL 5 or 6, when area damage is normally coming on board for casters and initiators, which also allows straight Rangers to get this, who to me seem like who should be the primary recipients so they don't have to wait for Arrowstorm or whatever the prereq spell for Splitting is.

I'd also, to make it actually like Reserve feats, require an Evocation of 1st level or higher to use it and give a +1 CL to Evocations, which seems in line with what effect you're going for here, anyways. Throwing on the [Reserve] tag would also be good so people know that it IS a Reserve feat. The BAB requirement should make up for the below normal spell level requirement.

The only other thing is I'm not sure why you have to use a long or short bow and not a composite or crossbow. That just seems restrictive for no reason. I see no reason to restrict from slings or thrown weapons, either. I could totally imagine a Cleric of Talos/Stormlord activating this with javelins.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2012-02-05 at 10:38 AM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Well, first things, Reserve feats don't typically open up off of 1st level spells, they tend to go off of 2nd - 5th level spells and then are powered by a specific type of spell. Not to mention this does more damage than any other Reserve feat or martial maneuver available at that level and those typically only hit one target.

The second is this just makes Cleric archers even more powerful, as an Elf Cleric of Sehanine Moonbow or other elven deity 3/Fighter 1 with Elf domain for the free Point Blank Shot is throwing around 3d8 damage to everything within 60' for no expediture of resources, which is stupid powerful at ECL 4. If you want it more reasonable with typical power levels, I'd make it BAB +4 so picked up at ECL 5 or 6, when area damage is normally coming on board for casters and initiators, which also allows straight Rangers to get this, who to me seem like who should be the primary recipients so they don't have to wait for Arrowstorm or whatever the prereq spell for Splitting is.

I'd also, to make it actually like Reserve feats, require an Evocation of 1st level or higher to use it and give a +1 CL to Evocations, which seems in line with what effect you're going for here, anyways. Throwing on the [Reserve] tag would also be good so people know that it IS a Reserve feat. The BAB requirement should make up for the below normal spell level requirement.
    I'll up the BAB prerequisite, but I'm not making it a Reserve feat. Reserve feats are usable at-will, this one isn't. It's usable once per encounter. I was just pointing out that not every feat that is powered by the level of spell slots you have available requires you to expend a spell slot.

And that's also the reason it is allowed to be keyed off 1st-level spells and doesn't have a specific school or the [Reserve] tag, and deals more damage. It's usable once per encounter. It should be better than a typical Reserve feat or a martial maneuver.

The only other thing is I'm not sure why you have to use a long or short bow and not a composite or crossbow. That just seems restrictive for no reason. I see no reason to restrict from slings or thrown weapons, either. I could totally imagine a Cleric of Talos/Stormlord activating this with javelins.
    It is based on the Ultima Arrow ability from Final Fantasy XIII-2. Also, composite bows are still straight bows. "Straight bows" refers to shortbow, longbow, and greatbow, as well as everything that acts exactly like one of those (such as the bonebow or the composite versions of those bows).

Anyway, Serah uses bows, and the ability she uses is definitely an arrow volley, so that's how I decided to roll with it.

Edit: Allowing it to work with crossbows, by the way, would open it up to clerics, sorcerers, and wizards without requiring them to take Martial Weapon Proficiency or dip a warrior class. So yes, that's just a little extra restriction to help real archers fight better.

As for thrown weapons, you couldn't toss it high enough into the air. In order to rain death down on everything within 60 feet of you, you'd have to shoot or throw something at least 80 feet into the air. Easy enough to imagine with a shortbow, since its range is 60 feet, you could probably make it go a little higher than that. But a dagger or a handaxe, with a range of 10 feet? No way. Those weapons are too heavy, they can't fight gravity like ammunition can.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-02-05 at 11:03 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    I'll up the BAB prerequisite, but I'm not making it a Reserve feat. Reserve feats are usable at-will, this one isn't. It's usable once per encounter. I was just pointing out that not every feat that is powered by the level of spell slots you have available requires you to expend a spell slot.

And that's also the reason it is allowed to be keyed off 1st-level spells and doesn't have a specific school or the [Reserve] tag, and deals more damage. It's usable once per encounter. It should be better than a typical Reserve feat or a martial maneuver.
    Fair enough, I suppose.

It is based on the Ultima Arrow ability from Final Fantasy XIII-2. Also, composite bows are still straight bows. "Straight bows" refers to shortbow, longbow, and greatbow, as well as everything that acts exactly like one of those (such as the bonebow or the composite versions of those bows).

Anyway, Serah uses bows, and the ability she uses is definitely an arrow volley, so that's how I decided to roll with it.

Edit: Allowing it to work with crossbows, by the way, would open it up to clerics, sorcerers, and wizards without requiring them to take Martial Weapon Proficiency or dip a warrior class. So yes, that's just a little extra restriction to help real archers fight better.

As for thrown weapons, you couldn't toss it high enough into the air. In order to rain death down on everything within 60 feet of you, you'd have to shoot or throw something at least 80 feet into the air. Easy enough to imagine with a shortbow, since its range is 60 feet, you could probably make it go a little higher than that. But a dagger or a handaxe, with a range of 10 feet? No way. Those weapons are too heavy, they can't fight gravity like ammunition can.
    Haven't played FFXIII-2, wouldn't know. Didn't really care for the extreme railroading of the prequel.

Also, technically, composite bows aren't straight bows, they're recurved bows. Straight bows are a single piece of wood carved and strung to create the curve. Recurved bows are composited with different woods or horn so that you can stretch the bow with more force than a straight bow of the same size could generate. If you just want bows, just say bow or 'proficient with at least one bow (long, short, great or composite version thereof)'.

As for the crossbow thing, that little restriction isn't that great, as they can just be a Lesser Planetouched or Elf. I'm also not seeing where it's supposed to help the "real archers," since they need to at least dip one of those classes so they can even take the feat.

For slings and thrown weapons, there's a reason my example was javelins, as they have a 30' range increment, which is far better than daggers and handaxes, as well as slings have a 50' range increment. Not to mention that WotC has no idea how slings are supposed to work, since they're easily as powerful as bows, they just need more training to use properly. That's really the only reason bows won out, is that training time difference, since experienced slingers trained with them from an early age, where as a decent archer takes a much shorter time in comparison, with crossbows and firearms being even shorter still.

I digress, if you just want to provide more bow support, that's fine, bows need cool stuff to keep up with THFers, anyways.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Haven't played FFXIII-2, wouldn't know. Didn't really care for the extreme railroading of the prequel.

Also, technically, composite bows aren't straight bows, they're recurved bows. Straight bows are a single piece of wood carved and strung to create the curve. Recurved bows are composited with different woods or horn so that you can stretch the bow with more force than a straight bow of the same size could generate. If you just want bows, just say bow or 'proficient with at least one bow (long, short, great or composite version thereof)'.
    Okay, sure, I'll go with that.

As for the crossbow thing, that little restriction isn't that great, as they can just be a Lesser Planetouched or Elf. I'm also not seeing where it's supposed to help the "real archers," since they need to at least dip one of those classes so they can even take the feat.
    Whoa, gotta stop you right there. Lesser Planetouched do not get free bow proficiency. They aren't Outsiders, they're Humanoids with the (Planetouched) subtype. That's why they don't have LA. And yes, they could just be an elf to get the bow proficiency, but elves are a pretty terrible race to begin with in my opinion. Plus, it's no better than being a human (you trade your free bonus feat for free Martial Weapon Proficiency. You get +2 Dex, which helps you a bit, and give up skill points and lose hit points from the Con hit. It's a pretty even trade, in my opinion).

Yes, real archers need to dip caster classes to use the feat, while casters need to dip fighter classes to use the feat (unless they are elves or they burn another feat slot on MWP). But rangers, duskblades and paladins don't need to dip at all, so they're fine.

For slings and thrown weapons, there's a reason my example was javelins, as they have a 30' range increment, which is far better than daggers and handaxes, as well as slings have a 50' range increment. Not to mention that WotC has no idea how slings are supposed to work, since they're easily as powerful as bows, they just need more training to use properly. That's really the only reason bows won out, is that training time difference, since experienced slingers trained with them from an early age, where as a decent archer takes a much shorter time in comparison, with crossbows and firearms being even shorter still.

I digress, if you just want to provide more bow support, that's fine, bows need cool stuff to keep up with THFers, anyways.
    I see your argument for slings. Very well, I guess I'll just open it up to any ranged weapon then. (Are slings ranged weapons or thrown weapons?)

10. - Top - End - #10

There we go. Changed the prerequisites to Weapon Focus (Any ranged weapon). Now even being an elf won't soften the prerequisites for full casters.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I see your argument for slings. Very well, I guess I'll just open it up to any ranged weapon then. (Are slings ranged weapons or thrown weapons?)
    They're ranged weapons with elements of thrown. I houserule them as thrown weapons so they can actually use thrown weapon stuff but that's just me.

There we go. Changed the prerequisites to Weapon Focus (Any ranged weapon). Now even being an elf won't soften the prerequisites for full casters.
    Cool.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!