New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn OOC Thread 14: When in doubt...Getsuga Tenshou!

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    I've yet to see a scrap of "noble" behavior out of him. We'll see what his reaction to Josiah's relatively harmless verbalization is.

Though I do see he's following the classic ideal of nobles treating everyone else as sub-human, so there's that.
    Show some actual class. Be an actual example for non-nobles. Protect those under his care.

You know, don't be a jerk. That's a good start.

Definitions; 4 and 5 from the adjective section seem particularly good tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    See, there's a difference between 'acting noble' and 'being a noble' nor is one a prerequisite for the other. In some cases they SHOULD be a prerequisite for one another (but only one way) but just because Akio is a noble doesn't mean he is noble.

I'd like to point at Byakuya Kuchiki. Who was a real jerk in the Soul Society arc, yet he was a respected captain and a noble. He was willing to execute his sister personally if I remember correctly.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn OOC Thread 14: When in doubt...Getsuga Tenshou!

Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    I'd like to point at Byakuya Kuchiki. Who was a real jerk in the Soul Society arc, yet he was a respected captain and a noble. He was willing to execute his sister personally if I remember correctly.
    Byakuya Kuchiki is practically the definition of Lawful Neutral.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

*breaths deep* Okay, here we go.

The deal with Byakuya was that his sister actually broke one of the fundamental laws of Soul Society. He wasn't the guy who actually broke the rules. In his mind, it was the law, and the law should win.

In Akio's case, he's pretty much acting all headstrong even though he's clearly a criminal.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

4. - Top - End - #304

Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    *breaths deep* Okay, here we go.

The deal with Byakuya was that his sister actually broke one of the fundamental laws of Soul Society. He wasn't the guy who actually broke the rules. In his mind, it was the law, and the law should win.

In Akio's case, he's pretty much acting all headstrong even though he's clearly a criminal.
    Which he only became in order to confront one of the longest standing hollows of the mortal world. In his mind it was a case of making an omelet. The eggs in this case were the shinigami guarding the gate and the senkaimon law.

Edit: He's also a wee bit nuts, deep down.
    Last edited by riccaru; 2011-01-27 at 02:22 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    ...Huh. Serves me right for not checking the book beforehand, I guess.

Well, sure, that works. No specific need for Shapechange, though - she could probably do it just as easily with Polymorph. I think there's a specific spell that turns you into a snake, too.

I just mentioned Haunt Shift because a tsukumogami is supposed to be an object that achieved sentience, right? Seems like pretty much the same thing, but without making her into a magic item (in which case, as a scarf, she would have no means to move under her own power, even if she could change into a human).
    I cannot find [Haunt Shift] explanation in book. I think [Haunt] word is like [Possession] meaning maybe? So it does not seem correct to me (>< ).

But [Intelligent Item] is same area as [Magic Item] and [Artifact]. I don't know what is different between [Intelligent Item] and [Artifact], but in English I think 「付喪神」 is said "Artifact Spirit." So maybe it is not so different is my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken
    (in which case, as a scarf, she would have no means to move under her own power, even if she could change into a human).
    Erima when she is a scarf, she cannot move. She is a scarf. So that is not a problem I think.
    To move is only important if she is human or youkai-scarf form. I think [Shapechange] power can allow such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Not fun enough! Needs something more.

I apologies for pouncing on Sayaka, but I have to deadtime soon.
    It is ok. I am happy to be able to play a character again thanks to Shades of Gray and you.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I cannot find [Haunt Shift] explanation in book. I think [Haunt] word is like [Possession] meaning maybe? So it does not seem correct to me (>< ).
    I'm not sure what book it's in, but the end result is an item or location having a spirit.

But [Intelligent Item] is same area as [Magic Item] and [Artifact]. I don't know what is different between [Intelligent Item] and [Artifact], but in English I think 「付喪神」 is said "Artifact Spirit." So maybe it is not so different is my thought.
    In D&D "artifact" is used to refer to an extremely powerful magic item which cannot be created or destroyed with the players' normal abilities (eg. The One Ring, Excalibur, etc.). It is not necessarily intelligent, though it can be.

In everyday usage an artifact is an item from an earlier point in history. Sometimes it's used to mean "something that remains from before" - for instance, odd grammar which appears after translating something into another language would be called a "translation artifact", while TVTropes would say that Dragonball has an Artifact Title since it keeps the name even after the Dragon Balls stop being the focus of the story.

Erima when she is a scarf, she cannot move. She is a scarf. So that is not a problem I think.
    To move is only important if she is human or youkai-scarf form. I think [Shapechange] power can allow such a thing.
    Point is, shapechange is the most powerful spell of its kind in D&D. A wizard who can cast that spell is better at transforming themselves than the Monkey King. There are lower-level spells which are more limited.

Plus, intelligence is more of an "add-on" in D&D, which generally assumes that it was created artificially rather than forming on its own. A scarf of shapechange would be a magic item used to change the wearer's shape before it had intelligence added, and could still be used for this purpose. I have done some homebrew related to this though...

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Byakuya's case was pretty complex. First of all, he broke tradition by marrying a commoner; because of his desire to keep his promise to his wife, he later adopted a commoner, without any special merits of her own, to his family. Later on, when said adopted commoner displayed skills fitting for an Officer, he is implied to have bribed or otherwise coerced his fellow Captains to not promote her.

Remember what Byakuya said about nobles showing an example to all of Seireitei: if they won't obey their own rules, how are they supposed to expect anyone else does either? He had already been stretching tradition and moving in the grey areas of law for who knows how long to keep Rukia safe. So when order for Rukia's execution came, he was faced with a major Catch-22. Either he'd try to save her (again), causing more disgrace to her and his whole family and potentially becoming a fugitive himself, or he'd do nothing and have to watch his adopted sister die.

From Byakuya's point, Ichigo was making things worse; every time he opposes Seireitei in attempt to save Rukia, he's further soiling her honor, especially since she'd accepted her sentence. Ichigo was effectively making Rukia more of a criminal through his own actions, so I can kind of see why Byakuya was so pissed at him (nevermind that at that point of the story, for all Byakuya knew Ichigo was both the initial cause for Rukia's sentence as well as a dangerous terrorist who had just demolished half of a Division.)

Both in-story and out of it, it was one of those wonderfully dissonant "Fight for life or fight for pride" situations. Ichigo was (obviously) fighting for her life, while Byakuya was fighting for her pride. Both had Rukia's best interests in mind, they just kinda disagreed on what those were.

Which he only became in order to confront one of the longest standing hollows of the mortal world. In his mind it was a case of making an omelet. The eggs in this case were the shinigami guarding the gate and the senkaimon law.

Edit: He's also a wee bit nuts, deep down.
    Don't worry, Yui will make sure to point out everything wrong with this plan.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2011-01-27 at 07:34 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

A haunt is actually 'a place regularly frequented'. I have no idea what a Haunt Shift is, however.

She is right. An intelligent item fits quite well with Erima. Further, an intelligent item could have the fitting spell/psi(-like abilities) useable at will (expeeensive) and target itself freely.

Just for the record, the Shapechange spell is not necessary. Simple Polymorph is more than enough, in all likelyhood. There isn't actually a property called "Shapechange" as far as I know, I so I presume you are refering to the item being able to use the spell on command word.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Honestly, at this point, Josiah may be cheering Elder on for beating Akio up. He's like the worst possible example of Soul Society for Josiah to see. He's part of a "noble class" (something his country has never truly had, and definitely not with the same "privileges" that ancient nobility carried), he's a grade-A jerk, (assuming Josiah found out) he has no qualms killing his fellow soldiers to get a better shot in, (also assuming Josiah found out) and he's lying through his teeth about Soul Society. It's not Heaven, it's a slightly-less-crappy-than-canon craphole afterlife where Shiro's most likely going to end up homeless in a run-down slum. And people like Akio (those "nobles") generally want things to stay that way.

Seriously, Josiah already has enough reason to dislike Reapers. Never, ever, ever let him get even the tiniest glimpse of the real state of the afterlife. Bad things might happen. Terrible, SCIENCE!-related things.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, at this point, Josiah may be cheering Elder on for beating Akio up.

"I'm simultaneously flattered and eager to point out everything wrong with this possibility."

From one thing to potted plants, is anyone else squeeing over Riruka Dokugamine, the Xcution girl in Bleach? She totally has the bestest power ever: ability to put anything she finds cute or awesome into a dollhouse.

Nothing creepy with that.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

Haunt Shift is a spell from one of the supplement books (a book that is not the Player's Handbook, the Dungeonmaster's Guide, or the Monster Manual; some people also add the Player's Handbook II, Dungeonmaster's Guide II and other Monster Manuals to that list) that deals specifically with undead.

Oh! I didn't know that Erima couldn't move in scarf form. So I suppose it's not a problem after all.

I still think Haunt Shift fits it better thematically (because Erima IS, after all, a spirit inhabiting the scarf. I imagine the Tsu- from tsukumogami is the same tsu of tsuku - create or make, isn't it?)
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

12. - Top - End - #312

Honestly, at this point, Josiah may be cheering Elder on for beating Akio up. He's like the worst possible example of Soul Society for Josiah to see. He's part of a "noble class" (something his country has never truly had, and definitely not with the same "privileges" that ancient nobility carried), he's a grade-A jerk, (assuming Josiah found out) he has no qualms killing his fellow soldiers to get a better shot in, (also assuming Josiah found out) and he's lying through his teeth about Soul Society. It's not Heaven, it's a slightly-less-crappy-than-canon craphole afterlife where Shiro's most likely going to end up homeless in a run-down slum. And people like Akio (those "nobles") generally want things to stay that way.

Seriously, Josiah already has enough reason to dislike Reapers. Never, ever, ever let him get even the tiniest glimpse of the real state of the afterlife. Bad things might happen. Terrible, SCIENCE!-related things.
    First bold: Akio's never said it was heaven. Would you like to be the one who tells this child (who keeps asking to go to heaven) his options are becoming a literal monster and eating his family, or ending up in the "slightly-less-crappy" SS? He has a fairly good chance of coming out better than the alternative of being a hollow.

Second bold: I'm not so sure that one character would take on the entire SS, no matter how much science they have.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

I still think Haunt Shift fits it better thematically (because Erima IS, after all, a spirit inhabiting the scarf. I imagine the Tsu- from tsukumogami is the same tsu of tsuku - create or make, isn't it?)
    I was under the impression that all objects have spirits, and tsukumogami are just more "awake". In which case I can understand Kasanip's objection, but mechanically it wouldn't make any difference.

EDIT: Any way to set up a red herring where people are being drained of energy by something and Ayase seems like one of the victims?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-01-27 at 09:49 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Haunt Shift is a spell from one of the supplement books (a book that is not the Player's Handbook, the Dungeonmaster's Guide, or the Monster Manual; some people also add the Player's Handbook II, Dungeonmaster's Guide II and other Monster Manuals to that list) that deals specifically with undead.

Oh! I didn't know that Erima couldn't move in scarf form. So I suppose it's not a problem after all.

I think you mean to say”make" tsukuru, but it is different (to write: 作る)

Maybe it is difficult to understand. Because all thing has soul. Erima is the scarf and spirit of the scarf. It is separate and not separate thing. I think maybe 'soul of scarf' maybe is such a way to say it in English. But it is not meaning "ghost come to possess" (maybe confusing because 付く can mean such a thing).

「付喪神」 is such a writing, but to be 「当て字」 [phonetic equivalent] to read like 「九十九髪」"tsukumogami".  「九十九」 has meaning [99 almost 100(years)]

(such explanation is 99=100-1, [百(100)] - [一画(1 stroke)]=[白(white)] )髪 'white hair'
    so "long time is passed with experience kami"「長いの年や経験を経て神」. 

付く tsuku to also have this meaning "acquire" and so 神 kami also together, has this feeling of "kami that acquired a long time and very much experience."

I'm sorry if it is confusing. It is a bad explanation for English.

I think maybe this conversation has to become disruptive for BleachITP thread. But I like Erima very much and make comic of tsukumogami story .
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2011-01-27 at 10:12 AM.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

I should note that different people have different views of what qualifies as "Heaven". I don't think I'll reveal anything important by stating that Yui is completely serious when she refers to SS as such, and she has at least cursory knowledge of how SS works and is.

This was a little weird.

After all, this was the first Espada who actually treated him as a person roughly on a similar level instead of, you know, trash.

Not that it was unpleasant.

"Sure, why not? Could use the company. What do you feel like doing, Cecilia?"

"Beware! It's a trap!"

"... well, not the kind of a trap I am, but still."

Second bold: I'm not so sure that one character would take on the entire SS, no matter how much science they have.
    Why would he take on the entire SS? He could just, you know, kidnap a lonely Shinigami, like Akio is at the moment. Josiah seeing the afterlife doesn't require him to fight anyone either.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

I think maybe this conversation has to become disruptive for BleachITP thread. But I like Erima very much and make comic of tsukumogami story .
    Well, disruptive conversations are exactly why I added a forum to the wiki. If you want to continue discussing things there...

17. - Top - End - #317
    Orc in the Playground

I think you mean to say”make" tsukuru, but it is different (to write: 作る)

Maybe it is difficult to understand. Because all thing has soul. Erima is the scarf and spirit of the scarf. It is separate and not separate thing. I think maybe 'soul of scarf' maybe is such a way to say it in English. But it is not meaning "ghost come to possess" (maybe confusing because 付く can mean such a thing).

「付喪神」 is such a writing, but to be 「当て字」 [phonetic equivalent] to read like 「九十九髪」"tsukumogami".  「九十九」 has meaning [99 almost 100(years)]

(such explanation is 99=100-1, [百(100)] - [一画(1 stroke)]=[白(white)] )髪 'white hair'
    so "long time is passed with experience kami"「長いの年や経験を経て神」. 

付く tsuku to also have this meaning "acquire" and so 神 kami also together, has this feeling of "kami that acquired a long time and very much experience."

I'm sorry if it is confusing. It is a bad explanation for English.

Not at all, I find it very informative.

Gives me new ideas to work with, too.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I am, I look forward to some secret identity silliness.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-01-27 at 11:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm wish the japanese symbols didn't turn into little squares for me.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    I'm wish the japanese symbols didn't turn into little squares for me.

Ditto. My previous installation worked with this, but sadly I can't seem to properly install Japanese language support on my PC.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    "Hey there, I'm Go Ken. Who might you two be? Friends of Kondo-san perhaps?" His voice was filled with cheer and his face wore a pleasant expression.
    I thought Asuka was gone? Eh.

~Three little maids from school are we,
    Pert as a school-girl well can be,
    Filled to the brim with girlish glee,
    Three little maids from school!~

Well I am, I look forward to some secret identity silliness.
    *looks left* Something seems off about you now for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-01-27 at 01:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought Asuka was gone? Eh.
    Well I didn't see a post saying she actually left. I guess the words she spoke implied leaving. I changed my post accordingly.
    *looks left* Something seems off about you now for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on it.
    "I feel like I've met you before... Do you believe in UFOs/ghosts?" *gets ready to breakdance*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure that scene is referencing Toradora in regards to the love conversation between Minorin and Ryuuji in which Minorin uses ghosts/UFOs as code.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-01-27 at 02:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

"I feel like I've met you before... Do you believe in UFOs/ghosts?" *gets ready to breakdance*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure that scene is referencing Toradora in regards to the love conversation between Minorin and Ryuuji in which Minorin uses ghosts/UFOs as code.
    So... people don't die when they're killed? This channges everything! I must compliment the originality of their designs though.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

So... people don't die when they're killed? This channges everything! I must compliment the originality of their designs though.
    I love that show. The Giga Pudding product placement sold me on it. It just kills me when she calls him a delicious bastard whether the translation is entirely accurate or not. After all, how can one not love Giga Pudding? It has also invaded Mitsudomoe. Soon no anime will be safe.
    CURSE YOU NC!! NOW I'VE GOT THAT SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD!!! ihateyousomuchrightnow.
    But Giga Pudding is love! How could you hate me for informing you of it and its stellar advertising? To think that Kasanip is graced with these glorious products long before the rest of us are. Land of the Rising Sun indeed.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-01-27 at 03:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

CURSE YOU NC!! NOW I'VE GOT THAT SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD!!! ihateyousomuchrightnow.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

If anyone wants to rope the giant American walking the school into a conversation or something, feel free.

EDIT: Also, PUDDI PUDDI!
    Last edited by Wahrheit; 2011-01-27 at 05:05 PM.
    If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus
    I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Arrgh...hard week, this one. But I'll see if posts can show up sometime soonish.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

28. - Top - End - #328
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    ((Har Har. If Vi knows one thing, it's not to be stingy on business cards. And she's definitely rich enough to afford the good stuff. ))
    It could've been an early business card.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Waiting on Riccaru in Soul Society.
    If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus
    I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

First bold: Akio's never said it was heaven. Would you like to be the one who tells this child (who keeps asking to go to heaven) his options are becoming a literal monster and eating his family, or ending up in the "slightly-less-crappy" SS? He has a fairly good chance of coming out better than the alternative of being a hollow.

Doesn't mean Josiah likes that those are the only choices.

Why can't souls just get kicked back into the cycle while bypassing either of those dimensions? Maybe with a nice peaceful "waiting period"?
    That's what he'd wonder, anyways.

And Josiah himself doesn't have to take on SS. He just has to make powered armor viable for mass production.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Why would he take on the entire SS? He could just, you know, kidnap a lonely Shinigami, like Akio is at the moment. Josiah seeing the afterlife doesn't require him to fight anyone either.
    Also, this.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune