New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

It would probably help, I'm not sure how you could make the ability itself weaker. The only thing about it that bothers me is that IIRC good espers get that way through skill mainly, not just "look at my ability" you really should take at least a short amount of time to be able to properly use any abilities you siphon without just being able to randomly fire it off. this combined with some sort of time limit would probably help make it better.

But then again I only barely know the setting, and I thought multiclassing was un-optimized in 3.5, so perhaps my word isn't the best to go off of.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    While I like the idea of an Esper who can drain energy, which would make battling him interesting, I´m uncomfortable with the idea of the Esper stealing others powers and gaining level 5 abilities from others while they themselves can not control it. It just seems too much and would make fighting against your character anything but fun cause your character could just go ´poof, now you´re powerless´.

I´d suggest cut the power stealing, your char is already very powerful without it. If you insist and really want to play a power stealer that bad, then cut that power down by a lot. As in borrowing a power for only a very short limited time, like 5 minutes at most, and not getting an auto level 5 power. Instead the power would be the same level that the person is controlling it has. If you steal from a level 0 you get a level 0 power and so on. Also never take away the powers for good, I couldn´t make out of your description if this is the case or not, but I´m figuring that if your char has that ability, it would cause bad blood among players. It would ruin the rp.
    It was never intended to be permanent at any level. Maybe that's where the initial comments came from.

I also think toning it down so he can only steal what the character themselves are cable of using. The duration is totally up in the air. I realized from the start I was creating a powerful character and wanted the groups opinion on it to make it work out well.

So the newest incarnation of his power would be...

Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Esper Ability: Ability/Energy Drain

Ayumu can siphon the power from nearby objects or people and use them to increase his physical capabilities. When used against an ESPer Ayumu can drain that ESPer's power causing them to be unable to use it for a length of time. Ayumu can use any power he drains for the same length of time.

(NOTE: Ayumu can only use the power of another ESPer if he's seen it in action before. Diffrent ESPers with similar powers do not count. He must have actually seen the ESPer he touches use the power. Otherwise he just gets a physical boost.)

Additional Uses:
    Sight without sight as described in the power descriptions.
    Never sleeps as described in the power descriptions.

Spoiler
    Show

Level 1: Ayumu constantly siphons power from nearby sources. This doesn't affect anyone negatively. Sometimes this causes lights to flicker momentarily or other people get a "pins and needles" or "creepy feeling" around Ayumu. This feeling is increased in other ESPers. Other ESPers tend to actively avoid Ayumu due to his presence. Avoiding Ayumu is more "instinct" when it comes to non-ESPers. Prolonged physical contact with Ayumu can result in death as he cannot "shut off" this ability. Ayumu can feel energy around him, this allows a rudimentary sight when it comes to living things. Even if he was blinded he could feel the presence or absence of ESPers within 100 feet. Because he is always siphoning power he never needs to sleep although he sometimes does anyway. (I'd like to somehow define "prolonged physical contact" I think if you were tied to him or something for a day you'd be pretty tired and weak or something. The odds of this happening are 0 thought, so its impossible to use in an "offensive" manner.)

Level 2
    : Touching another ESPer causes that ESPer to lose all powers for a ____ period of time. During that time Ayumu's physical capabilities are increased slightly. This ability cannot be "shut off"
    (I'm purposely leaving time and the physical increases undefined so it can be discussed. Help me out!)

Level 3: Touching or focusing on an ESPer within 5 feet causes that ESPer to lose all powers for a ____ period of time. During that time Ayumu's physical capabilities are increased moderately. Ayumu can also use the level 1 version of that ESPer's powers. Ayumu's Sight without sight is increased, he now can "see" by feeling the residual energies of nearby objects and people. The range of Sight without sight also increases to around 500 feet.

Level 4: Touching or focusing on an ESPer within 10 feet causes that ESPer to lose all powers for a ____ period of time. During that time Ayumu's physical capabilities are greatly increased. Ayumu can also use up to level 3 version of that ESPer's powers. Although he cannot use a level of power higher than the target esper can use. The range of Sight without sight also increases to around 2000 feet. Ayumu can "see" other ESPers through solid objects if they are within 500 feet.

Level 5: Touching or focusing on an ESPer within 25 feet causes that ESPer to lose all powers for a ____ period of time. During that time Ayumu's physical capabilities are greatly increased. Ayumu can also use up to the level 5 version of that ESPer's powers. Although he cannot use a level of power higher than the target esper can use. The range of Sight without sight also increases to around 5000 feet. Ayumu can "see" other ESPers through solid objects if they are within 1000 feet. At Level 5 Ayumu has the ability to not need food or water for very long periods of time. At this level Ayumu must actively avoid touching people without ESPer powers. Accidentally touching a normal person causes that person to become fatigued, feint, or loose muscle function momentarily.

Level 5 modulation: Reverse boost The pinnacle of Ayumu's powers. Ayumu can now siphon power and grant a boost to any other ESPer he can focus on (up to 50 feet). In this way he can greatly increase the physical capabilities of not only himself but other ESPers and even Level 0's. He can also no longer accidentally drain people, objects, or ESPers having full control over his powers. Ayumu does not yet know how to do this.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ormagoden; 2010-09-15 at 01:11 PM. Reason: found a better way to limit it again

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

It's still over-powered, though slightly better about it now. Lemme give you two examples from the canon series though...no, lemme give you three so you have a better idea of why it's a no-go.

1) The Main Character of Index has an ability known as the Imagine Breaker. It negates any esper abilities (or magical, but that's a non-issue here) that he touches with his right hand. One touch, poof, it's ended. With it, he was able to beat the strongest Esper in the canon series. Your version is even more powerful. Not only because it's not just restricted to his right arm, but because he can do it at a range. ((Also, it's not even known if the Main Character's power is even psychic in nature which makes 'power-draining' a very iffy are on where it falls in magic/science and thus should be avoided.))

2) The ability to copy powers or have multiple powers at the same time has only come up (to my knowledge) twice within the series. The first is a girl who can track AIM fields at level 4 with the help of drugs, but's also said in series that she's very likely to become the next Level 5 because (if she didn't need the drug to use her powers) she could 'memorize the AIM fields of others' and be able to use their abilities as well. (That obviously doesn't happen in series) They don't mention if this would be permanent or not or if she could use it at the same level of power (but with the lack of control) as the original user, or anything else, but you get the idea. Mimicking powers, by itself, is a Level 5 ability. The other character who had multiple abilities (Literally a thousand in this case) was able to fight the third most powerful Level 5 fairly well, though what level she was using those abilities at and whatnot is also not said.

3) Super-human physical abilities is another power all it's own. One of the gemstones of the series has super-human abilities (of close to the same level as your character's own) as part of his suite of powers. He is also a Level 5. And depending on what you mean by 'super-human physical abilities', then you are suddenly stepping on the toes of at least three other characters.

So...lemme summarize this a little bit...You character has an improved version of the main character's abilities, already has a Level 5 power, has the makings of a SECOND level 5 power, can unerringly track Espers (which admittedly falls under the first level five power), and this isn't counting his basic ability of 'I touch you and it's over' which is...fairly powerful on it's own.

You have almost three different abilities rolled into one here, three powerful abilities rolled into one. This isn't a matter of putting limits on range and such, this is a matter of trimming away excess abilities because right now, I have to agree with Anyr. It's much too powerful to be used, invalidates several characters specifically and neutralizes any esper in general, and is just too much. I'm guessing your inspiration was Rogue from X-Men, but she'd be just as over-powered in Academy City too.

My suggestion would be to drop the power-draining and enhancement entirely and replace it with something more akin to...actually my idea for changing the power doesn't even work because it makes him a walking Capacity Down+. I'll think on it some more to try and come up with a better suggestion, but...yeah. there's some big problems with Ayumu's powers as is.

*cough* In other news, the rest of it looks pretty good. >.>
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #754
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ormagoden View Post
    Ugh, I don't know how to properly address that "criticism" but I hope others are much more constructive. I wrote the entire thing with the hopes to get actual real suggestions; Not to get flamed.

All I basically hear is "Your Character is more powerful than mine. Waaa."
    Maybe I'll make a character that can dissolve people with a touch. That's balanced.

Seriously though I'll consider what little actual input I can glean from your rant and adjust the sheet. /angrysarcasm

EDIT: Perhaps I should cut you some slack. You're new here.

That is unless someone else has some useful suggestions or comments I can also incorporate.

Perhaps limiting the range to very close and limiting it to just increasing his physical capabilities are in order.

Thoughts?
    My thoughts....I don't particularly find this attitude helpful or appreciated. This is a rather open and nice game community...telling someone they're "New (No idea what that even means) or attacking them because they had points you didn't like...that's not helpful what so ever.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

5. - Top - End - #755

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    My thoughts....I don't particularly find this attitude helpful or appreciated. This is a rather open and nice game community...telling someone they're "New (No idea what that even means) or attacking them because they had points you didn't like...that's not helpful what so ever.
    Sorry, it was my knee jerk reaction to a wall of text rant on my idea. I found it rather insulting and with no real good suggestion other than "Its too powerful do something else." I've made an attempt to drop the issue and focus on the character but perhaps that's impossible now.

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    It's still over-powered <snip>

I'll just make something else.
    Last edited by Ormagoden; 2010-09-15 at 02:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

This is a rather open and nice game community...telling someone they're "New (No idea what that even means)
    I believe he was commenting on Anyr's status as a pixie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

7. - Top - End - #757

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    It was lack of etiquette actually.

8. - Top - End - #758

We don't discuss post rank or number here
    My Current Works

9. - Top - End - #759

To save myself some friggin trouble how about i just list some powers i might want to use with my next character idea. Instead of throwing a night's worth of work away.

How does the group feel about friction control. The ability to control the friction of or on nearby molecules and objects? Like making the floor slippery so someone falls or making your shoes so they provide no friction and you skate around on them?
    Last edited by Ormagoden; 2010-09-15 at 02:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Any suggestions on an alternate character that might fit the game better?
    Well Ayumu himself looks fine, it's only his Power Leeching that needs to be changed...hmm...before I can suggest anything mind if I ask some questions? What sort of characters in other manga/anime/tv/etc. do you find interesting or cool? What abilities do you really enjoy? Things like that. Can't really suggest something that I think you'd like until I know a bit more about you.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

To save myself some friggin trouble how about i just list some powers i might want to use with my next character idea. Instead of throwing a night's worth of work away.

How does the group feel about friction control. The ability to control the friction of or on nearby molecules and objects? Like making the floor slippery so someone falls or making your shoes so they provide no friction and you skate around on them?
    We feel perfectly fine with it actually.

Unfortunately the reason we do that is that I'm pretty sure we have at least one person who can do that already

Not sure, though
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

12. - Top - End - #762

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    We feel perfectly fine with it actually.

Unfortunately the reason we do that is that I'm pretty sure we have at least one person who can do that already

Not sure, though
    I didn't see it on the list :(

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

I didn't see it on the list :(
    As I said, I might be wrong.

Checking the wiki that seem to be true

So go right ahead
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

14. - Top - End - #764

I doubt that will fly, mostly because that was my original idea. There are some people here, one that has a fire user and the other ice I think... or was it lightning? Anyways, molecule control was deemed both too powerful and its use overlapped some other peoples powers. I forgot though, do we have an ice user? That was the other half of the twins I think?
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

Purple Rose made a friction control character earlier. Maybe she forgot to put it in the wiki?

How about... synchronized mass hypnotism?
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

16. - Top - End - #766
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Purple Rose made a friction control character earlier. Maybe she forgot to put it in the wiki?

How about... synchronized mass hypnotism?
    ...You just want him to make everyone dance.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

17. - Top - End - #767
    Halfling in the Playground

Which I assure you I won't be doing!
    NarutoITP Characters
    Generals Morgan
    BleachITP Reborn Characters

Full Metal Madness(ITP) All images by Terry576

GB week Alilah avvie by Keveak!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Oh beautiful and stylish woman, Moon Wolf. Please, take these internet flowers as a token of my love, and an appeasement so that I may not have to endure your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Gah! Onmitsukido'd!

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

"... but I will!"

*puts on dance music*

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

"You all are wasting energy needlessly. What would you do if a bear bursts into the room right now?"

Why didn't anybody use Bear Empathy as a power?
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    "You all are wasting energy needlessly. What would you do if a bear bursts into the room right now?"
    "Make it dance! <3"

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

-A whole bunch of robots and falcons come in the room and starts dancing, with Cici and Catarino standing in the corner-

"Wut?"

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772
    Orc in the Playground

-After a few moments, a whole bunch of plants start crawling in. A few of them are Venus Flytraps, whereas the rest are various trees and flowers. All of them dance-

"Might as well."
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

23. - Top - End - #773

biggrin Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

I would be the most appropriate member of this board to actually have bear empathy lol.

Unfortunately I am going to withdraw my interest in this game. Innis Cabal continues to PM me about the earlier exchange with Anyr hours later after I dropped the matter.

I just don't think I started on the right foot, and I don't think I can recover from my heavy handed initial response. Have fun all.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I apologize if I caused anyone undue stress or anything. It is supposed to be a game and fun!
    Last edited by Ormagoden; 2010-09-15 at 06:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #774

Unfortunately I am going to withdraw my interest in this game. Innis Cabal continues to PM me about the earlier exchange with Anyr hours later after I dropped the matter.
    Two PM's...I guess I did bad. Sorry, I won't PM you again. Sorry I wasn't on to respond to your PM's when you sent them and was trying to be polite.
    My Current Works

25. - Top - End - #775

confused Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

Two PM's...I guess I did bad. Sorry, I won't PM you again. Sorry I wasn't on to respond to your PM's when you sent them and was trying to be polite.
    You were just trying to get a further rise out of me. Nothing about what you said was "trying to be polite." You were indeed online well after I sent the original PM to you. In addition you got what you want, I left, no need for a parting shot to save face.

/subscribe

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

*awkward silence...*

So, what are the consequences to an esper having his berserk button pushed and raining wiffle balls, or something similar on his gym classmates?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #777

Probably being arrested or killed if he can't stop?
    My Current Works

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ettin in the Playground

*awkward silence...*

So, what are the consequences to an esper having his berserk button pushed and raining wiffle balls, or something similar on his gym classmates?
    Er...are the wiffle balls deadly or lethal somehow? O.o

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

I meant more as a funny berserk button, not a "scary will hurt someone" berserk button. Just enough to send some people running for cover as wiffle balls zip by overhead. Basically I want enough to make a blip on the schools punishment radar. But preferably not enough to attract judgment attention...

Is this middle ground possible or am I going to have to rethink my entrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Er...are the wiffle balls deadly or lethal somehow? O.o
    They could be, though in this case I wasn't intending them to be.
    Last edited by druid91; 2010-09-15 at 06:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

Hoo boy, I come back from a long day of classes to see Academy City ITP's first little bit of friction. DX

@ Druid: I'll give you my full review of your character probably sometime later today. It looks great so far, though.