New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: In a zombie apocalpyse

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    It's Karoht, not Karoth. Just saying. =p
    2-Cold zombies are probably slowed down. Either by the snow, the cold itself, or a combination of both. If they aren't affected by the cold I'll be genuinely surprised.
    meh..I should know all about misplaced Hs, with my nickname.. lol
    I'm pretty sure zombies don't get the sniffles, but I see your point.

@thefallenone
    gotcha..think I answered.
    to recap, I'd put loved ones above strangers, the numbers and the closeness of relationships would determine my actual course of action.
    killing someone to ensure the survival of a loved one? in a heartbeat, I say, whilst sitting on my couch.
    picking who to kill/save between friends, loved ones, relatives etc etc?..I'll tell you when it happens.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    meh..I should know all about misplaced Hs, with my nickname.. lol
    I'm pretty sure zombies don't get the sniffles, but I see your point.
    Their tissue and muscle fibers would undergo one of two likely effects. Degradation or not. If there is degradation, this is just a bonus effect in addition to the terrain advantages. If there is not degradation, then I might be rather surprised to see a zombie moving around with little to no noticable impediment due to the weather. That is, surprised up until the adrenaline kicks in and I deal with it the way I would deal with any other zombie in rain or shine up until that point.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    I'm assuming Fahrenheit with wind chill? I've never been to the arctic and that temp should never be a problem unless you seek it out.
    Fahrenheit, wind chill not calculated in.
    Well, I certainly hope you don't find it in the southlands. Personally, I'd be heading for the arctic. Good place. Good to survive in, if you know what you're doing, but you do have to keep in mind that you are part of the food chain up there.

Shotgun ammo is heavier, has penetration problems in most loads, and you have to aim about as well as you would with a rifle. The "cone of death" notion is pretty bad conventional wisdom. The shoulder fatigue is going to be much worse than with just about any other gun. Shotguns are a pretty bad choice for anti-personnel and long term use situations.
    Amen. I'm not a fan of shotguns. They have their uses, but for what you're planning on doing a rifle is better.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

4. - Top - End - #364

Yeah, accurate fire is definately appreciated if someone is going to be firing anywhere in my general area as I hold the line in melee. IF it HAS to come to that, I definately don't want someone backing me up with a shotgun.

I should probably make it clear though, I'm not silly enough that I want to get into melee, I'd just rather be prepared for it, and since I'm trained for it, take the responsibility myself.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    The real question is: Who cares what a philosophy class thinks about them? I don't. The whole point of "thought experiments" is to find as many different outcomes as possible, right? So, naturally people in this thread are going to try their hardest to come up with alternate solutions to "killing an ally", and are going to ask "Why is this person, who has remained sane the entire time, suddenly going to go into hysterics at the worst possible time".
    You care about offing some random a hole to save your own life enough that you think it would drive you to suicide. Why wouldnt you care what a class full of people think? Both are equally foolish and sentimental.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So, I cant (1) just clobber him with a rifle butt to knock him out, and my only choice is to shoot him, (which will likely attract zombies just as well as screaming would) or let him keep screaming till the zombies kill us all because there is no way out somehow? (2) And he is just going to LET me shoot him?
    1. Thats a movie fallacy. Generally speaking if you hit someone in the head with a blunt, hard object hard enough to knock them completely out you also have a very good chance of either killing or seriously injuring them anyway. And if you leave him K.O.'d for the zombies to find and eat arent you just being a complete **** who didnt have the stones to at least kill him quickly?

Being eaten alive is about the worst possible death someone can endure. Which is why any scenario where you just leave the guy to get eaten is not the moral choice. Its the cowards choice. Leaving it up to either some miraculous save or a horrible death and saying

"hey at least I didnt kill him myself"

Is nothing but a copout. And one the guy wont thank you for when he's sitting there being torn apart a piece at a time.

2. Where you planning to ask his permission? That sounds pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    You know, there's a lot wrong with what boredgremlin said, but he does have a point with the scenario adapted from The Walking Dead.

If doing the moral thing leads to 3 out of 3 people dying, but taking the immoral option means you and a young boy survive, should we really hang onto that piece of morality in the face of a global extinction event?
    I'm not advocating tossing out morality altogether like he seems to do. Just... cut it down to the bare essentials. Make results matter. If morality leads to more people dying without gain, ignore morality in this instance.

So far, no one presented a reasonable rebuttal to this. All you did was weasel around it with 'There's always a chance', 'Maybe fattie ends up saving your life', 'Maybe there is conveniently a sniper you never met before watching from a rooftop'...
    Which is when they surrendered the argument because they had no better answer then wishful thinking and I stopped bothering to answer them.

Theres still nothing wrong with clearing out the prison though.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

^: You were advocating shooting people in the leg so that they'd be fully conscious and already in pain when they get eaten alive for your fleeting tactical advantage. Compared to that, being unconscious or mostly dead would be a mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by boredgremlin View Post
    dang double post.
    Edit button clears that stuff right up.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-02 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #368
    Banned

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-03-04 at 01:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    But that doesn't matter, because he's with a group of friends who have taken over a jail, summarily executed EVERYONE inside, and his friends obviously won't give one WHIT if he shoots one of them because they are slow and he is not and doing so will save his life!
    Ahh someone whose close to understanding.... even though he doesnt know it.

I know my group and they absolutely would not give 2 turds about shooting fatty because all of them would do the same thing. He's not one of us. He happens to be there. But he's not one of us. Just a guy whose around. It takes a hell of a lot more then being a breathing human to be one of us and matter to us. Everyone outside of the group and our families is completely expendable. If they dont like it then they get out of of our fortress or we'll kick them out. And we wont ever let the numbers switch to where theres more of them then us or even close.

Thats effective tribalism in an emergency.

We dont actually have a fatty in the group anyway so in this scenario he's someone who would have just happened upon us by random circumstance and we took in after the initial chaos. Or that i happened to run into while out scavenging and who tagged along. If it was just us this would have never happened at all. So theres a certain latitude from our actual plan in the scenario to begin with.

Thats the beauty of planning. We're hunkered down in a modern fortress within a few hours of zombie hell starting and not coming out until the initial chaos has passed. We would take some people in but most people would be SOL and told to move on. We dont want or need a bunch more mouths to feed and dilute the core of our little tribe.

Which is another reason why this whole "i would shoot you for shooting him" is silly. The first reason of course is because no, you wouldnt. You dont have what it takes to shoot someone to save your own life. You certainly dont have what it takes to kill someone in cold blood. And then theres the whole fact that if you tried it you would find all my buddies guns pointed at your head. Because WE'RE the group. Not you. You just happened to get caught up with us. Your not in charge, we are. Plus, like you said. We just executed 4,000 people for past crimes. We certainly wont let you get away with drawing down on one of us.

10. - Top - End - #370

NecromancerGuy

The difference being that i wasnt hypocritically claiming moral superiority for my actions.
    You are, indirectly, doing so by expecting us to approve of your actions and agree with you and so on and so forth. Otherwise I can't imagine why you keep harping on about it.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #371

I know my group and they absolutely would not give 2 turds about shooting fatty because all of them would do the same thing.
    If they don't give a hoot about shooting 'fatty' then odds are they don't give a hoot about shooting you in your sleep. And if they know that you might shoot one of them for your fleeting tactical advantage if the situation ever called for it, then who's to say they don't shoot you first?
    And if you give your people carte blanche to kill outsiders, mark my words, insiders will fall all the same.

You have to sleep some time. Food for thought.

He's not one of us. He happens to be there. But he's not one of us. Just a guy whose around. It takes a hell of a lot more then being a breathing human to be one of us and matter to us. Everyone outside of the group and our families is completely expendable. If they dont like it then they get out of of our fortress or we'll kick them out. And we wont ever let the numbers switch to where theres more of them then us or even close.
    Oh joy, the 'us' and 'them' mentality.

'Them' can easily outnumber 'us' and because you are so staked down to a central location with limited supplies, 'Them' could very well rise and take you. Or just cut you off from outside access to supplies. They don't even have to shoot at you to hurt you. If you've already made a group beyond your walls mad, and run out of water? I give you 3 days before you and you're own people start shooting each other over water. Here's hoping you can get by on rainwater.

And inside your walls? The 'us' becomes groups and cliques all the same. 'Us' is no longer 'us' but a whole new 'us' and 'them.'

Thats effective absurd tribalism in an emergency.
    Fixed that for you.

We dont actually have a fatty in the group anyway so in this scenario he's someone who would have just happened upon us by random circumstance and we took in after the initial chaos. Or that i happened to run into while out scavenging and who tagged along. If it was just us this would have never happened at all. So theres a certain latitude from our actual plan in the scenario to begin with.
    Or, 'fatty' or simply the omega could just as easily be you as it could be anyone else. Whoever runs the slowest right?

Thats the beauty of planning. We're hunkered down in a modern fortress within a few hours of zombie hell starting and not coming out until the initial chaos has passed. We would take some people in but most people would be SOL and told to move on. We dont want or need a bunch more mouths to feed and dilute the core of our little tribe.
    And the fallacy of this plan is that you think you will have enough supplies at the jail to last. You have also assumed that no one else will have the same plan as you, or have a bigger group than you to take your jail.

You dont have what it takes to shoot someone to save your own life.
    You don't know what everyone on this board does for a living. That said, not to make a slight against anyone in the armed forces of any nation, but I would not put it past prison guards let alone soldiers or police, that they wouldn't take a life to save their own. Sure, they'll probably feel horrible about it later, but in the moment? They can make that decision because they are trained for it. I highly doubt that you and your group have the training or experience.

Speaking of those Prison Guards, those guys with guns? They're probably not going to even let you inside the walls in the first place, and if they do it will be under lock and key all the same. Why? Prison's have provisions in place for similar situations. Disaster preparedness plans which they train for. Even if they take in refugees (which they may not, as they will probably not be equiped to do so), they're not exactly going to let you walk in with your guns unsecured. And you'll be staying under supervision just the same as the prisoners. Yeah, they might not lock your doors at night, but I highly doubt you're going to get the drop on these prison guards enough to actually take the facility. And again, that's assuming you even get inside the walls.

Lastly, you're also assuming that the prison would not be used as a makeshift outpost by the military at some point. So you and your 'tribe' would be up against guys like Solaris, or under close watch by them. Good luck.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-03-02 at 02:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

The only 'us vs. them' mentality I would foster in a crisis would have 'them' be 'the zombies' and 'us' be 'everyone else'. That's the general principle, anyway - raiders and madmen might end up on the wrong side of that division eventually.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

your mindset and that of your friends is the correct one to survive, you say.

so..you're a guy who claims to be quite ready to cull the weaker links and do away with 4000 lives.. because they are inconveniencing you, rather than to think for a way not having to do so and still "turn a profit" by using those individuals as work force, for instance. for some reason you seem to be proud of this and think it's a good idea to keep rubbing it in our faces as if it were a good thing.
    you're also convinced that your prison guards mates, in such a situation, would think exactly the same and have no moral compunction about it at all (makes me wonder if they really are on the right side of those prison cell doors, but that's besides the point..aren't I lucky that I cannot possibly land in a maximum security prison in the USA..). they too would be ready to assist you in killing the freeloading inmates.

you've gone to great lengths to explain how they're perfectly capable of handling the prison and dealing with the inmates on their own. you've pretty much declared yourself a ruthless and potentially dangerous element. they know this, because they're your friends and you guys have actually talked about these things.. they're the best placed to tell if you're full of it or actually would stick to your intentions. you most likely come carrying your own gun so they can't really disarm you without it all going Tombstone at midday..
    a question: if your mates are such pragmatists...why should they let you in the prison in the first place? they don't need you, apparently.
    in short..you're just another mouth to feed, and you're dangerous for them and yourself.
    EDIT:
    The first reason of course is because no, you wouldnt. You dont have what it takes to shoot someone to save your own life. You certainly dont have what it takes to kill someone in cold blood.
    almighty bit of making assumptions there..not to mention, dickwavery..
    you're trying really hard to look so very tough..it's almost comical.
    it would be if it didn't make you look so eager to pull a trigger.
    some of us have declared they wouldn't pull a trigger at any cost... most of us however haven't.. I'd suggest you exercise some caution when you make these silly statements... after all, you don't "really" know what you, or any other forumite would do once the chips are down and you actually have to pull that trigger.. for all you know, you might find yourself unable to do it, in the end..and another may not.
    unless of course you speak from experience..in which case..do please turn yourself in for whatever violent crime you may have committed. (of course I realize this does put a spanner in your surviving plan..but hey..I'm sure it will turn out for the best)
    Last edited by dehro; 2012-03-03 at 05:10 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

14. - Top - End - #374
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    You're just another mouth to feed, and you're dangerous for them and yourself.
    This is what your actions make people think. In a survival situation the bigger the group you're in the safer you are. And no group is going to let you in unless they are as ruthless as you are. And that is the kind of that will get half of you killed by yourselves.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Which is why i guarantee Solaris and Muska both die in the first half hour of our little zombie movie here.
    Dude, you go into hot zones with neither backup nor a real exfil plan ("Run away really fast and hope you make it to the car" is not a plan). You're one to talk about survival rates.

Admit it. You just don't like the fact that we're better at this than you are. Don't feel bad. I do the 'kill people and break things' thing for a living. Infil-exfil is all part of it. If I wasn't good at getting into places people didn't want me to be in, getting who - or what - I'm after, and getting away with minimal contact I wouldn't be alive.

I laugh at you saying morality is why I'd get killed because... well, I'm probably the most ruthless person here. I have the capability to do terrible, terrible things, and unlike you armchair commandos I know this because I have done them. I have no qualms about shooting someone who needs shooting, and I assure you that I will not lose sleep over it.
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.

It's just that the scenario presented is stupid. Not the 'chased by zombies' bit, the total and complete lack of anything even remotely resembling a working plan. See, the scenario doesn't start with the chase. It starts with the night before, while you're sitting there planning (okay, while I'm sitting there planning and you're sharpening your knife and contemplating ways to get away with slitting everyone's throats). Thought experiments for philosophy classes are all fine and dandy, but those of us who operate in real-world scenarios (y'know, not the ones that involve zombies) understand a little phenomenon I like to call cause and effect. When you plan a mission, you need to plan for contingencies. You need to plan for the worst-case scenario, you need to plan for complete mission failures, you need to plan for any conceivable hiccup along the way and you need to address them. You also need to know what you're doing and be quick on the uptake so as to be able to work out workarounds for when it does hit the fan. Handing me a scenario like that and then your little options indicates... heh. You can say anything you like about my expected survival rate. I'm not the one who'd be suffering through the realization that the world does not work like a movie.

If you don't think it's possible to plan for almost any eventuality, then that makes it all the more obvious that you don't actually do that whole combat thing for a living.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, all I hear when this guy types is 'blah, blah, I'm so hard, i'm so badass, i'll beat everyone and nobody's gonna make it out cause all y'all are *******, blah blah blah stroking my e-bits, blah.'

Seriously. We've got a trained, professional soldier here, and he's going to die early because he's got a sense of morality? Right. And your ass is gonna live through everything because you're so edgy and br00tal.
    In a situation like this, it's discovered early that you're a liability and killed. Not 'oh, we have to try harder in the group to keep this guy alive' liability, but 'having this guy around actively weakens the group as a whole's chance of survival.'

You keep saying 'Oh, no, none of you have the balls to do it' and the like, but bet your bottom dollar that there's a few people here who would. I imagine Solaris would have no problem exterminating you. I sure as hell wouldn't, if I discovered your planning, or that you'd caused the downfall of another member of the group. What helpful skills do you bring, other than the oh-so-useful "I can kill people if they're in the way!" attitude?
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

17. - Top - End - #377

I would really appreciate if the member waggling could stop some time soon. Just a request. Not aimed at Solaris.

So, Solaris, say for a moment you weren't going to stick around town and blast the zombies to bits. Say for a moment you and your fellow soldier buddies were over, when the news first hit. And say for a moment that the vote was to leave town, head towards military outpost X. What does your gameplan look like?

18. - Top - End - #378

NecromancerGuy

As far as responses go, I'm most curious as to what organizations like the CDC have actually learned from the scenarios they've run and models they've made and whether anyone could apply that usefully.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    As far as responses go, I'm most curious as to what organizations like the CDC have actually learned from the scenarios they've run and models they've made and whether anyone could apply that usefully.
    Media tends to portray them as incompetent or villianous. That's in both fiction and not. That said, I am sort of curious what the CDC might actually have planned, or would adapt another plan into, in the event of zombies.

Note that I say CDC and not FEMA, who are equally villified, though again, curiosity does beg the question, what do they have planned in the event of zombies?

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    Fahrenheit, wind chill not calculated in.
    I'm curious where that was. That's like, world record cold temperatures outside of inland Antarctica. I used to live in International Falls, MN. It's the coldest town in the continental US. I've done a 10k in thermal underwear when it was -15F out(it was "cool" for the high school kids to wear as little as possible ), but usually I was pretty bundled up. Coldest I ever remember was -40's and ~-70 with wind chill. I was outside for all of ten minutes, but it was pretty crappy. It only ever got that cold once or twice the entire 14 years I lived there. (Protip: Wait until it is at least 10 degrees F out before getting a car wash )

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

As a teacher and an RAF trained medic. I'd say medic and medical tutor. Someones gotta teach the kids how to stitch and give morphine...
    “After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”
    ―Philip Pullman

22. - Top - End - #382

Media tends to portray them as incompetent or villianous. That's in both fiction and not. That said, I am sort of curious what the CDC might actually have planned, or would adapt another plan into, in the event of zombies.

Note that I say CDC and not FEMA, who are equally villified, though again, curiosity does beg the question, what do they have planned in the event of zombies?
    Probably quarantines, set in a grid surrounding every city with a confirmed outbreak and blocking the neighboring areas as well just in case. Noone in or out till the military can get there to mop up the undead. People are ordered to stay indoors and block off all doors and windows and just hang on. They would likely highly discourage rambos who are intent on wtfpwning zombies as there is no telling how many innocents might get killed by an overeager zombie hunter. If I was a government agency, that would probably be the most obvious solution. Contain then eradicate. Once the initial surge is over, chasing down the smaller numbers that may have wandered outside the area before the sealing off took effect would be simple enough.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

My plan involves retreating to a low population heavily forested area (Say Northern Rockies (if on west coast at time) or Northern Maine (If on east coast at time) with my group. All of us are already highly trained in various wilderness survival techniques, I can honestly say that I have the skills to survive alone in similar areas with just a knife and a metal water bottle (and the group I would take, would bring more equipment than just those Items). We'd bring firearms of course, but after we arrived I doubt that we would run into many zombies. Zombies would tend only to spread where there are people and the areas I named have fairly sparse populations. We wouldn't need a large fortress, and we have the skills necessary to build a small base of operations out of the available materials, (all of us have done so before in our training).

I'm not talking about what we would do if a hypothetical outbreak occurred in a few years and we had advanced notice. The group I refer to already exists. Our training was done through our respective careers, and the skills I mention are things we already have. This is what we would do if an outbreak happened tomorrow with no warning.
    Warning!! This poster makes frequent use of Sarcasm, Jokes, and Exaggeration. He intends no offense.

24. - Top - End - #384

I was talking about this with my fiance just the other day.

Zombies outside of cities, what are the odds?

So to a Zombie, who may or may not have any kind of navigational capability left to them, what are the odds that a single zombie would make it out of town, from the center of the downtown core?

Now for where I live, Calgary Alberta, you cross 1 bridge, you follow 1 road straight, boom, you're out of town east or west. North or south, just head those directions until you get funnelled into a major north south route. So north south, the odds are pretty decent. East west, not nearly as likely. To a zombie, a city is one big giant maze, and just going by luck and happenstance, I wouldn't expect to see too many zombies out in the countryside in the first few days or even weeks of the outbreak, assuming they were not contained. Bear in mind also, if they smell food in the city, that is going to keep them in the city for a longer period of time.

So yes, cities and towns across the world. Please continue to build inefficient and intentionally confusing and purposeless roads, it's a zombie containment strategy.
    Poor signage too? Just as well, zombies typically don't read signs. Much like average motorists.

25. - Top - End - #385

NecromancerGuy

Indeed, that was one of the questions I found myself wondering after watching 28 days later.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #386

I should probably clarify that I was refering to zombies in the downtown core specifically, and not the ones out in suburbs.
    Now we have cattle being raised within very short distance of the suburbs, especially on the west side of town. The zombies from those areas would be well fed for quite a while before venturing much further. Though, the suburbs I'm refering to are all full of rich people, with SUV's and RV's and other such which would be used for getting out of town and likely heading into the mountains as well. So there wouldn't be too many zombies in the suburbs either, at least not for a while.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

I'm curious where that was. That's like, world record cold temperatures outside of inland Antarctica. I used to live in International Falls, MN. It's the coldest town in the continental US. I've done a 10k in thermal underwear when it was -15F out(it was "cool" for the high school kids to wear as little as possible ), but usually I was pretty bundled up. Coldest I ever remember was -40's and ~-70 with wind chill. I was outside for all of ten minutes, but it was pretty crappy. It only ever got that cold once or twice the entire 14 years I lived there. (Protip: Wait until it is at least 10 degrees F out before getting a car wash )
    Coldest city CONUS.
    They don't count Alaska as CONUS. -15 is nothing; we don't stop doing PT (in shorts, tee-shirts, windbreaker pants, windbreaker jacket) until -25. Lots of guys don't add anything beyond that. I wouldn't even bust out anything except my normal clothing, maybe a long-sleeved undershirt, for that warm unless I planned on just standing around the whole time.
    I was in Ft Wainwright, AK. Normal temps are around -40 to -20 in winter, so the week where it decided to drop about twenty-thirty degrees was somewhat of a big deal. Naturally, some persons of impaired intellect decided to do stupid things when it was stupid-cold out.

I would really appreciate if the member waggling could stop some time soon. Just a request. Not aimed at Solaris.
    B-b-but it's fun to make badass boasts on the internet!

So, Solaris, say for a moment you weren't going to stick around town and blast the zombies to bits. Say for a moment you and your fellow soldier buddies were over, when the news first hit. And say for a moment that the vote was to leave town, head towards military outpost X. What does your gameplan look like?
    Well, most of us live in the barracks, so we'd already be there. Pretty much everyone lives on or near the fort, being that we work there. Thus, it's not so much about what we do to get to the fort as it is what we do afterwards. This is what I imagine our general game plan would be:

Step one: Clear the area. Find infected and deal with them. Find zombies and deal with them. Given our recent specialization in urban warfare, this would be easier for us than most other militaries.
    Of course, throw a tank at us and we're screwed, but, y'know.
    The precise methodology would vary from zombie type to zombie type.

Step two: Wall it off. You can do the walling literally or metaphorically. HesCo barriers are a big favorite of the military's. They're basically canvas boxes, reinforced with a gridwork of light rebar, and filled with dirt. Lighter-duty ones can use what's basically thick metal wire in place of rebar. Hopefully we won't waste time with C-wire (think 'evil in strip metal form') but this is the organization that tends to do things a certain way because that's the way we've always done them...
    If we can't wall the area off, then we'd just put up guards (in towers) and mounted patrols. They're going there anyways, that just means they have to stay awake.

Step three: Repeat next door until you run out of zombie territory.

Cities would be... interesting. I honestly wouldn't try to keep most of the suburban areas and a lot of the urban territory that isn't of intrinsic value, especially in most apocalyptic situations where the city's population is mostly dead and those buildings would probably wind up having to be demolished anyways. Concerns about property damage are only important if someone owns that property. Otherwise it's just terrain.
    Sometimes the best way to deal with a problem is lots and lots of explosives, especially if real estate is cheap and people are at a premium. Just make sure to do it thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Natural disasters that aren't disease-based are best to weather in place. Evacuation is a last resort for a reason. Disease-based... quarantine.
    Though I honestly doubt any agency is gonna kill off living people during a zombie outbreak, contrary to what every movie on the subject has portrayed.

Currently Playing

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

You are claiming a degree colder than the record low temperature on record, which occurred during the 1960's

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

I know my group and they absolutely would not give 2 turds about shooting fatty because all of them would do the same thing. He's not one of us. He happens to be there. But he's not one of us. Just a guy whose around. It takes a hell of a lot more then being a breathing human to be one of us and matter to us. Everyone outside of the group and our families is completely expendable. If they dont like it then they get out of of our fortress or we'll kick them out. And we wont ever let the numbers switch to where theres more of them then us or even close.
    Numbers is not everything. If you treat all outsiders as completely expendable, you can expect the following:

A. Frequent conflict with outsiders who do not see themselves as expendable.

B. A lack of recruitment from outsiders since it's unlikely anyone is going to successfully hang around you long enough to integrate.

Lots of conflict + a low replenishment rate(raising kids is slow indeed) = you don't keep numerical advantage. Even successful conflicts are risky. Wounds in an environment like this have a much higher probability to translate to an eventual death. You don't want to have conflict with other humans if you can possibly avoid it.

In short, the model you're looking at is not one used by wealthy, successful power brokers. It's used by somali warlords scraping along the very bottom of the socio-economic scale, and is a lifestyle with an extremely short expected lifespan.

You already have escalated risk from the presence of zombies, you don't need to embrace human on human conflict as well. I'm exceptionally well prepared for combat as people go...but this ain't an action movie. I might screw up. Someone else could always get lucky. Things can go wrong. Why take unnecessary chances?

30. - Top - End - #390

You are claiming a degree colder than the record low temperature on record, which occurred during the 1960's
    Wikipedia's giving me a record low temperature of -80 degrees Fahrenheit in Alaska in January '71.
    Jude P.