New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by CaeruliusVentus View Post
    First, as someone who tends toward the monk over other classes, I really like how you gave it flavor with the chains.

Is a player locked in to the class they choose at the beginning or can they pick and choose at each level?

Also, do you want spelling and editing comments?
    You can take an ability to switch class each level I think.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh lord, it looks so awful in that format. Oh, well.

A lot of the spelling and grammar problems exist because I haven't actually spellchecked that section. It was really quite a spur-of-the-moment sort of decision to stick it up. That said, I would of course appreciate it, though I'm sure there's a lot.

The chains for monk was something I wanted to do for a long time (and even hope to improve upon it as it gets playtested a bit after the release) but a lot of stuff was feeling very MMORPGish and I was trying to avoid that feeling.

It does end up costing Destiny to Job Change, just because I feel it should stay a big event that should only happen once or maybe twice, but will ultimately be a fairly accessible and easy option.
    Last edited by Dust; 2011-11-03 at 10:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Or use the subjob variant from the FF11 and only allow it once a session.

Does magic stay after switching jobs? Since its granted by a classes inate ability I mean.

4. - Top - End - #634

Yes, spells obtained (as well as weapon/armor 'proficiencies') stay regardless of your current Job. Non-mage jobs don't grant bonus MP, so they can't use it as OFTEN, but that's the only real downside.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Well except if they decide on Ultima how often will the DK get off a tier 5 spell?
    Technically ultima has another Rank 5 Spell as a pre-req in the older version, so DJ couldn't pick it.

And you're right, it's just a concept thing that irks me a bit; they've dedicated themselves to combat skill, yet can access the Black/Whote mage's ultimate powers as well, just seems weird. Especially when Red Mages (rightly) only get Rank 4 spells.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

I enjoyed reading the first writeup, and am looking forward to the revised edition; enough that I might run my own game even.

First, I like the simplification of races as just flavor-text; FF characters have always been defined more by their abilities and talents than race, so that was a good choice.

The stats make sense, and doing away with ratings was a good move. As a suggestion, I'd consider a minimum of 2, rather than 1, in any stat, for a few reasons; given an average of 6 for starting adventurers, that puts the minimum at a reasonable range while normal people (3) are just a bit better. But more importantly, it means the lowest possible Force/Finesse is 1 ((2+2)/4). Unless it was intended that characters can have a Force/Finesse of 0? Because if we always round down, that's a real possibility if you have 2 or more stats at 1. EDIT: Another reason is that other Attribute minimums (ie., Entertainer's Montage) list 2 as the minimum, and I like consistency like that. :) /EDIT

There's also at least one Ability (Black Mage's Crystal Cannon for example) that lets you sacrifice Attribute points. Would that use the same minimum value of either 1 or 2?
    Last edited by Arete; 2011-11-04 at 11:05 AM.

7. - Top - End - #637

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    And you're right, it's just a concept thing that irks me a bit; they've dedicated themselves to combat skill, yet can access the Black/Whote mage's ultimate powers as well, just seems weird. Especially when Red Mages (rightly) only get Rank 4 spells.
    Haven't you ever wondered what happens when mages Hold Hands?

Last edited by Story Time; 2011-11-04 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added Quote For Clarity

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Haven't you ever wondered what happens when mages Hold Hands?

Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, am I correct?
    Draw-out.
    T8 - nobody have ever done that, blah-blah-blah. Probably rewrite reality.
    Iaido
    gain 50% chance of non-breaking the weapon via Draw-Out. OR just don't break the weapon by spending a Destiny point.

So what do we have here?
    Step 1: Grab Masamune.
    Step 2: Draw out Masamune for Epic Wish-like effect. Spend a Destiny point.
    Step 3: Repeat until you run out of Destiny points.
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

10. - Top - End - #640
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fearan View Post
    Ok, am I correct?
    Draw-out.
    T8 - nobody have ever done that, blah-blah-blah. Probably rewrite reality.
    Iaido
    gain 50% chance of non-breaking the weapon via Draw-Out. OR just don't break the weapon by spending a Destiny point.

So what do we have here?
    Step 1: Grab Masamune.
    Step 2: Draw out Masamune for Epic Wish-like effect. Spend a Destiny point.
    Step 3: Repeat until you run out of Destiny points.
    nice exploitation... though the GM could allow you ultima for the epic wishlike effect you'd spend 4 to keep it from destroying everyfrigginthing!

11. - Top - End - #641
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was just browsing the job preview pdf and I was wondering about the background. Have you considered using straight up white instead of the mottled parchment style?
    I think white would be very attractive with the blue gradient and the crystals.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Pixie in the Playground

Interesting direction to take things. I like the simplification of the stats a lot, but I'm curious to see how other things will work out like job levels and leveling up.

Thanks for sharing what you have so far. I'll be watching for more!

EDIT: I can't remember now- was Zeromus stated up in the 1st release?

13. - Top - End - #643

Quote Originally Posted by mint View Post
    I was just browsing the job preview pdf and I was wondering about the background. Have you considered using straight up white instead of the mottled parchment style?
    I think white would be very attractive with the blue gradient and the crystals.
    I agree wholeheartedly and will be doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurFrayn View Post
    I can't remember now- was Zeromus stated up in the 1st release?
    Nope, I missed a TON of bosses and they wound up being all out of order. After having done the entire bestiary, trying to balance the End Bosses took a lot out of me, so I just sort of whipped them up as I was inspired to do so. Zeromus, Ultimecia, Sin, Orphan, and the Shadowlord are all showing up this time around.
    Last edited by Dust; 2011-11-08 at 05:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Can't wait! I would also like to offer my services as a proofreader/playtester. :)

Also, some people have mentioned a preview pdf, where is it? Was it only pm'd to select people? If so, can I have it?

Regards

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by andhaira View Post
    Can't wait! I would also like to offer my services as a proofreader/playtester. :)

Also, some people have mentioned a preview pdf, where is it? Was it only pm'd to select people? If so, can I have it?

Regards
    Linked on the previous page:

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    As a thanks for keeping me motivated on this project, guys and gals, I wanted to give a little thanks. This link contains a complete version of the updated Jobs, with only a few things technically unfinished.

- The formatting is still very much designed to be viewed in Word and not in PDF format, and it's a visual mess. The text detail graphics are always the last things I touch up and finalize (something I couldn't force myself to do at 4am on a Thursday morning, alas, even though looking at the Monk's hair and Red Mage's outline causes me PHYSICAL PAIN!). The finished version will look significantly better.
    - The ACC and AVD values of all Jobs are listed as broad categories like 'Poor' and 'Good' instead of actual numbers. Playtesting has shown a few potential problems with scaling evasion, and I wanted to make sure those get completely addressed before finalizing the numbers.
    - Lots of stuff referencing other pages is marked simply as ???. This is shorthand for when a page can't be found because, for obvious reasons, it doesn't exist in the pdf. Likewise, there's lots of stuff being referenced that can't be looked up - use your imaginationz!

I now wish I had included the list of thank-yous, because the forum was a ton of help with this whole process, and I'm looking forward to showing off the entire book. Let me just say that there's lots of people who should have been credited previously and weren't (like Kobold-Bard, steelsmiter, and wiiman), and I apologize for that - your contributions have been completely essential.

Hopefully I manage to get the playable version of this damn thing out before December!

As well, I'm sure there's all sorts of munchkinny combos in the abilities I'm missing. If you spot anything that works together FREAKISHLY well, is overtly complicated or just completely worthless, please do let me know.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Nope, I missed a TON of bosses and they wound up being all out of order. After having done the entire bestiary, trying to balance the End Bosses took a lot out of me, so I just sort of whipped them up as I was inspired to do so. Zeromus, Ultimecia, Sin, Orphan, and the Shadowlord are all showing up this time around.
    Is Orphan actually going to be immune to Death in this stat-up? (He wasn't in FFXIII, oddly enough)

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

17. - Top - End - #647
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Why change Evasion to avoidance? Also manafont is slightly op if they have at least the cost to use+3 or a multiple there of. Why? ULTIMAS!!11!1!!1

18. - Top - End - #648
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

So are there only 8 levels total, or is job switching the default now?

19. - Top - End - #649

Quote Originally Posted by louiscrites View Post
    So are there only 8 levels total, or is job switching the default now?
    The former; you'll only level-up 7 times, which makes for slightly odder gameplay conceptually, but ultimately a feeling that I'm a LOT happier with. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of disapproval on this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Why change Evasion to avoidance?
    A lot of it has turned into avoiding attacks through parrying, soaking, deflecting, blocking, kicking up chunks of wooden floorboard to shield yourself from hurled daggers in mid-air, and so on. EVA just didn't sound right. Neither does AVD, but it's a lot closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Is Orphan actually going to be immune to Death in this stat-up? (He wasn't in FFXIII, oddly enough)
    Ha, I like this. No, I don't think he will be.
    Last edited by Dust; 2011-11-10 at 09:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

On Red Mage it says they get 1 superior under 2 superior.

Also I plan to just ask the people I play with if they want to switch to the new edition or not.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

The former; you'll only level-up 7 times, which makes for slightly odder gameplay conceptually, but ultimately a feeling that I'm a LOT happier with. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of disapproval on this point.
    I think so, too. One of the things that people dislike about level systems (if they have a beef with them) is that they give you too much "stuff" at one time. The new system exacerbates this problem heavily by having even less levels and getting even more "stuff" at each level. I feel like some things are being changed just for the sake of changing them.

It seems like you want to steer clear of anything involving a lot of levels and experience points, and so, I have to ask: why are you trying to do that in a system that is famously known for leveling up a whole bunch of times? Your original work was quite good and after some cleaning up would have been fantastic; frankly your new system has me experiencing that weird sort of vibe that had me evading, well, all other Final Fantasy RPGs. A leveling system that caps at 8, to me, is missing the point of being a leveling system. There's not enough progress. You're not making slow & steady progress or fast and furious; it's slow and choppy. I think it will be jarring in actual play, but that is only speculation; although you did mention odder gameplay.

I also have a bunch of balance questions that you probably don't have time for, such as "why the heck does a Dark Knight get the same amount of magical capability as a freaking mage class?"
    Last edited by louiscrites; 2011-11-11 at 07:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I am not seeing the 8-level cap in the pdf yet... Maybe I haven't read that much.

Btw, I'm not sure someone's already said this, but there's a small typo in the name of one of the black mage's abilities. The name of the ability is mistaken by the name of another ability (copy-pasta typo?) I'm on mobile and don't remember exactly which ability has the name wrong, but it has the name of the first ability of the black mage's list.
    Last edited by Akabana_Shin; 2011-11-12 at 08:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Dwarf in the Playground

A friend and I are slightly concerned over the White Mage's Stronger Together ability. It's a bit... odd. I wouldn't say it's broken, but it does seem to be a really really good choice for a job ability, as in you'd be silly to not choose it.

24. - Top - End - #654

Quote Originally Posted by louiscrites View Post
    I also have a bunch of balance questions that you probably don't have time for, such as "why the heck does a Dark Knight get the same amount of magical capability as a freaking mage class?"
    ...this is intended with quiet politeness. Please search this thread as the specific subject addressed here has been mentioned previously. In an exceedingly exhaustive repetition.

The rest of the post, though, I felt had some merit and if time constraints along with other factors allowed me to run a campaign based on the current version it might allow myself and a small few exploration of some of the mentioned particulars. Unfortunately, other forces continue to restrain.

Quote Originally Posted by mint View Post
    [...]using straight up white instead of the mottled parchment style?
    ...again, with politeness, I disagree. A background allows a document to appear more polished when handled correctly. Perhaps I simply like parchment as a result of my personal tastes. But none of the above will likely cause me to withdraw my support from this project.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2011-11-16 at 07:09 AM.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I didn't understand a thing.
    At page 15 it says that characters gain 1 attribute point per level, when at page 119 it says that they gain 1 attribute point every 3 levels instead.
    What's the correct one?

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by edsaurus View Post
    I didn't understand a thing.
    At page 15 it says that characters gain 1 attribute point per level, when at page 119 it says that they gain 1 attribute point every 3 levels instead.
    What's the correct one?
    Both, as it says on p.119.

You get 1 point/level to assign to any stat you like (max. 30 obviously).

The 1/3 levels is a further bonus (that you don't get if you start higher than the level where you would have got it) that can't go in your highest stat, to help round your character out.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As a IRC player playing a White Mage Living Doll (Technically an Android, but styled like FF9 black mages), I have some things to say.

First off, old book.
    Under grafts it mentions both tinkering and machines. Which synth skill do you use to make and repair grafts?

Now back to Job Preview:
    in the new system... one of the few redeeming qualities I found is the Limit abilities and magic not taking the innate slot. They allow for a balance of sorts that I found refreshing, keeping someone from loading up on the 'power feats' for their class right off of the bat.
    If they were implemented in the old 30 level system that would be great.
    This is how you could be able to do it: At levels 5, 15, and 25 they gain a limit ability with their limit break.
    I chose those three levels as they represent three stages of the game. Start, Midpoint, and Endgame. It would also mean they gain a Limit Ability right next to their limit break, which is awesome if you think about it.

Honestly, I am not too keen on the leveling change...

-----------------------
    EDIT: Before I forget, Manduin. Give him a special that allows one party member to exclude themselves from the party summon, that way he can utilize Trance on them.

Also, Time Mage has no legendary accessory.
    Last edited by DruidJP585; 2011-11-22 at 02:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Maybe tone down the Dark Knights legendary accessory from "Lulz no death unless boss uses no mercy" to "When knocked to 0 hp you may act as if you had 1 hp for 3 more turns" or something.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Personally, I would like to call for an Errata version 1.1 or something to the old book before releasing the new one.

Where it would cover stuff like:
    • The missing legendary accessory for Time Mage
    • The ambiguity of which skill governs graft creation and repair
    • Clarification on what happens if a Special Vehicle is reduced to 0 hp
    • Balance change for the Dark Knight legendary accessory to keep it from being op.
    • Balance change for Geomancer. Remove the Survival skill limitation as it leaves the geomancer at disadvantage.
      ...and more!

The IRC people say the old book is perfectly good, and only has loosends to tie up.
    Last edited by DruidJP585; 2011-11-23 at 12:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DruidJP585 View Post
    Personally, I would like to call for an Errata version 1.1 or something to the old book before releasing the new one.

Where it would cover stuff like:
    • The missing legendary accessory for Time Mage
    • The ambiguity of which skill governs graft creation and repair
    • Clarification on what happens if a Special Vehicle is reduced to 0 hp
    • Balance change for the Dark Knight legendary accessory to keep it from being op.
    • Balance change for Geomancer. Remove the Survival skill limitation as it leaves the geomancer at disadvantage.
      ...and more!

The IRC people say the old book is perfectly good, and only has loosends to tie up.
    I agree wholeheartedly, except I'm a bit extreme where it comes to the Geomancer and Freelancer.