New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: How to Eliminate Vancian Magic & Put a Real Price on Spells [New Core Class + 5 P

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    I did consider an HP cost, & that wasn't a bad way to go. But hit points are incredibly variable, & Wizards have less of them than any other class (except Sorcerers). Admittedly, this can be supplemented with a high Constitution (just like a bio-mage), but overall there is too little to work with to have a scaling spell cost system that doesn't threaten to kill the caster everyday, at every level. Also, theoretically the healer in the party can just slap those points right back on you, sucking all of the drama out of the class & forcing the party healer to eat the cost of your spells. Just try getting a player who runs a cleric to deal with that. Lastly, to use an HP-based system, I'd have to scrap all of the bio-healing class features, leaving a lot of dead levels, which I dislike. I guess I could've stretched out bio-boost features & added more bonus feats, but I still like LP.
    The bookkeeping doesn't bother me, so I won't address that part. You're striking ideas in my own head, though; would you object if I shamelessly adapted some of your ideas for my own use? I'm still thinking that Hit Points might be a workable way to go, the actual mechanism just needs some tweaking. The HP thing is straightforward enough to fix - a class that relies on hit points for spells should have a higher hit die to begin with, though still a low BAB.

Perhaps I could have a hit point cost that applies in magical subdual damage that can't be healed by spells. This would keep the mage from burning himself to death, but allow him the option of 'exhausting' himself to save his party. Maybe a higher-level ability would allow for converting it to lethal damage right before unconsciousness kicks in, for those do-or-die moments.

Using subdual would also allow for the bio-healing; the mage wearies himself by healing, or even puts himself into a healing trance to save his life.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How to Eliminate Vancian Magic & Put a Real Price on Spells [New Core Class + 5 P

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    You're striking ideas in my own head, though; would you object if I shamelessly adapted some of your ideas for my own use? I'm still thinking that Hit Points might be a workable way to go, the actual mechanism just needs some tweaking.
    I like that idea. Yes, by all means adapt it if you wish. I'm a bit too invested in the bio-mage as posted to make major changes, & I have other projects that I'm already working on, otherwise I'd make an HP-based variant myself. But I'd love to see you cook up something like that.

As long as I get all the credit that I deserve for my unparalelled brilliance, I don't care what you do.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2007-05-04 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, that's pretty cool. If bio-mages burn through life force, though, what about a special aging mechanic?
    Last edited by Darkbane; 2007-05-04 at 07:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    Wow, that's pretty cool. If bio-mages burn through life force, though, what about a special aging mechanic?
    That's not a bad idea, actually. Maybe something like this:
    • Starting LP - 25% = Middle Age
    • Starting LP - 50% = Old
    • Starting LP - 75% = Venerable
    • Starting LP - 100% = Maximum/Dead

I may implement that in a future revision. It would lend more flavor to the "exspending one's life force" concept. Thank you, Darkbane, you've given me something to chew on.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 01:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

PrC #5: Bio-Blade
    A potent marriage of sword & sorcery, a bio-blade is the result of one of two events: either a bio-mage who has developed an affinity for martial weapons, or a fighter who has discovered bio-magical power within themselves. Either way, a bio-blade is an effective combination, merging the arcane arts with martial prowess into a deadly amalgam. Few foes can withstand such a united assault.

It is a rare, gifted individual who has the mental flexibility to become a bio-blade. Those who do develop into bio-blades tend to be resourceful, cunning & crafty, able to disguise either of their talents until their enemies are misled into underestimating them. Then they strike with their hidden abilities, devastating their unprepared opponents with direct attacks & withering firepower.

Requirements
    • Race: Bio-Mage
    • BAB: +5
    • Feats: Power Attack, Weapon Focus

Fastest Route: Bio 2/Ftr 4

Class Information
    Hit Die: d10
    Class Skills: The Bio-Shaper’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (any) (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), & Tumble (Dex).
    Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 01:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Table 3-8: The Bio-Blade (PrC)
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting
    1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Bonus Feat|--
    2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Energize Weapon|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Energize Weapon|--
    4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Energize Weapon|--
    6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Energize Weapon|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Bonus Feat|--
    8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Energize Weapon|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
    9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Energize Weapon|--
    10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Bio-Blade. See level progression on Table 3-8: The Bio-Blade (PrC) for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: You gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day: When a new even-numbered bio-blade level is gained, you gain new spells per day as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class you belonged to before adding the prestige class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a bio-blade, you must decide to which class you add the new level for purposes of determining spells known.

Bonus Feat: You get bonus combat-oriented feats. You gain a bonus feat at 1st level, & an additional bonus feat every 3 levels thereafter (4th, 7th, & 10th). These bonus feats must be drawn from the following list:
    • Blind-Fight
    • Cleave
    • Combat Expertise
    • Combat Reflexes
    • Exotic Weapon Proficiency
    • Great Cleave
    • Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
    • Greater Weapon Focus
    • Greater Weapon Specialization
    • Improved Critical
    • Improved Sunder
    • Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
    • Two-Weapon Fighting
    • Weapon Finesse
    • Weapon Specialization
    • Whirlwind Attack

You must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums. These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. You are not limited to the list of bonus feats when choosing these feats.

Energize Weapon (Su): At 2nd level, you can charge your weapon with bio-magic to produce a special attack. You may choose any one attack from the list below. At 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, & 9th levels, you may select a different attack to add to your repertoire. Energized attacks cannot be substituted for others at later levels. All attacks cost 25LP per use, & can be used once a day per class level. Using this ability is a swift action, but the effect only charges your weapon for 1 round. You may only use one of these attacks per round. Unless stated otherwise, conditions last for 1d4 rounds per class level, & none of these attacks offers a saving throw.
    • Acid Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent takes +1d6 acid damage.
    • Burning Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent takes +1d6 fire damage.
    • Confusing Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent becomes confused. If they are already confused, then they become panicked.
    • Dazzling Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent becomes dazzled. If they are already dazzled, then they become blinded.
    • Disease Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC15) or contract the Red Ache (incubation 1d3 days, 1d6 Strength damage).
    • Draining Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent gains 1 negative level.
    • Foolish Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent suffers 1d4-1 Wisdom damage (minimum 1).
    • Frailty Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent suffers 1d4-1 Constitution damage (minimum 1).
    • Freezing Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent takes +1d6 cold damage.
    • Frightening Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent becomes shaken. If they are already shaken, then they become frightened.
    • Maladroit Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent suffers 1d4-1 Dexterity damage (minimum 1).
    • Poison Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC14) or become poisoned with Blue Whinnis (1 Con initially, unconsciousness 1 minute later).
    • Repugnance Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent suffers 1d4-1 Charisma damage (minimum 1).
    • Sickening Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent becomes sickened. If they are already sickened, then they become nauseated.
    • Stunning Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent becomes dazed. If they are already dazed, then they become stunned.
    • Tiring Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent becomes fatigued. If they are already fatigued, then they become exhausted.
    • Weakness Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent suffers 1d4-1 Strength damage (minimum 1).
    • Witless Blade: Upon a successful melee attack, your opponent suffers 1d4-1 Intelligence damage (minimum 1).
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-01-02 at 09:00 PM. Reason: fixed Energize Weapon

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Bio-Magically Infused Objects (Magic Items)
    Born with an inherent affinity for magic, bio-mages can use virtually any magic item that they can get their hands on. There are, however, a few items that are the exclusive purview of the bio-mage. Those who lack the ability to wield bio-magic cannot generally use them properly.

Objects that have been infused with bio-magic are like any magical item: they have magical properties, prerequisites for creation, resistance to damage, & a personal cost to the spellcaster that creates the item. The main differences are that bio-magical infusions are typically temporary, & they have an LP cost instead of an XP cost.

Also, most of these objects manipulate bio-magic in someway, either through the addition/subtraction of LP from the user, or through the adjustment of the user’s subsequent LP costs. Some of these infused objects are detailed below.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Breaking Charged Items
    Once a charged item is broken (by having its HP reduced to 0), then it releases all of the LP that it currently has within it. This LP is dispersed into the surrounding area, & will be unrecoverable if not collected quickly. How quickly the LP is lost depends on the size of the object:
    • Fine = 1 round
    • Diminutive = 2 rounds
    • Tiny = 3 rounds
    • Small = 4 rounds
    • Medium = 6 rounds
    • Large = 8 rounds
    • Huge = 10 rounds
    • Gargantuan = 15 rounds
    • Colossal = 20 rounds

It can be assumed that during each round, the broken object loses LP equal to (the object’s total LP divided by the rounds in which the object will lose 100% of its LP). For example, bio-magically infused treasure chest (size = Medium) charged with 300LP would lose 50LP each round after it has been ruined, until it runs out of LP 6 rounds later. The body of a bio-mage who has been killed, but still retained some LP prior to death (a rare event) counts as an object of appropriate size for the purposes of LP loss (most likely Medium).

Collecting LP from a broken item (or dead body) is accomplished by performing a successful touch attack on the object. This does not require a Bio-Drain feat or class feature, although a bio-mage can drain no more than (Constitution modifier × 5LP) per round without one of the Bio-Drain abilities.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Æther Ring (ring)
    • Appearance: This thin titanium ring has a swirling, cloudy pattern etched into its surface. While wearing the ring, a person feels a tingling sensation. Bio-mages perceive this tingle as electric & invigorating; non-bio-mages find it to be itchy & irritating.
    • Powers: When used to channel bio-magic, the LP costs for Bio-Healing are reduced by 50% (1LP minimum). It can be used up to three (3) times per day.
    • Restrictions: It is useless to non-bio-mages, except as a non-magical ring.
    • Caster Level: 12th
    • Prerequisites: Forge Ring, heal
    • Market Price: 75,000gp
    • Weight: 0lbs.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Amulet of the Lens (major artifact)
    • Appearance: Made of intricately carved brass, this potent talisman looks like an open eye. The cornea of the eye is inlaid with polished ivory. The iris of the eye is tiled in deep, vibrant jade. In the center of the eye, where the pupil would be, is set a small glass lens. The wearer of this amulet can hold it up, peer through an aperture in the back, & see out through the curved crystal. The sights seen within are indescribable.
    • History: Long ago, a lone bio-mage became obsessed with finding a way to prolong his dwindling LP. He researched every tome he could get his hands on; he consulted every learned elder; he even attempted to contact beings from the outer planes to unravel the secrets of bio-magical preservation. He never fully achieved his true goal, but he did manage to create this powerful medallion. Passed on throughout the centuries, it has been lost many times, only to surface again decades later, as if destined to touch the lives of as many bio-mages as possible.
    • Powers: When worn in daylight, all LP costs are reduced by 75% (1LP minimum); this reduction does not stack with any other LP-reducing effect. It also places the wearer under a constant Bio-Boost effect, at the wearer’s highest bonus (+2 minimum); this is a personal effect, & cannot be shared with allies. Also, looking through the lens grants the wearer a +10 insight bonus on his next attack roll; this power can be used up to three (3) times per day.
    • Restrictions: This powerful charm has no effect in darkness (such as underground or at night) unless it is illuminated artificially, as with a torch or a light spell. It is also useless to non-bio-mages, who might not even know that it is an artifact (despite the strong magical aura radiating from it).
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Boots of Nimbleness (wondrous item)
    • Appearance: These black, soft leather boots come up to about mid-calf height, & have a cuff that is taller in the front & pointed slightly. Tiny silver wings protrude from the outer ankle of each boot.
    • Powers: While worn, the LP costs for increasing Dexterity via Bio-Boost are reduced by 50% (1LP minimum); this reduction does not stack with any other LP-reducing effect. It can be used up to three (3) times per day.
    • Restrictions: They are useless to non-bio-mages, except as non-magical boots.
    • Caster Level: 3rd
    • Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, cat’s grace
    • Market Price: 7,200gp
    • Weight: 1lb.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Cloak of Insight (wondrous item)
    • Appearance: This soft velvet cloak reaches to the floor, enveloping the wearer in its thick black fabrics. Silver threads are stitched into the cuffs & along the hem, forming arcane symbols & patterns.
    • Powers: While worn, the LP costs for increasing Wisdom via Bio-Boost are reduced by 50% (1LP minimum); this reduction does not stack with any other LP-reducing effect. It can be used up to three (3) times per day.
    • Restrictions: It is useless to non-bio-mages, except as a non-magical cloak.
    • Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, owl’s wisdom
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Gauntlet of Might (wondrous item)
    • Appearance: This crimson leather gauntlet has the style of a craftsman’s glove, with a long sleeve & tough stitches. Atop each knuckle & at each tip is a small round mithral disk, almost like a button, sewn into the garment.
    • Powers: While worn, the LP costs for increasing Strength via Bio-Boost are reduced by 50% (1LP minimum); this reduction does not stack with any other LP-reducing effect. It can be used up to three (3) times per day.
    • Restrictions: It is useless to non-bio-mages, except as a non-magical glove.
    • Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, bull’s strength
    • Weight: 2lbs.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Helm of Acumen (wondrous item)
    • Appearance: This simple steel helmet forms a solid, bowl-like dome. It has no visor or nose piece, allowing the wearer’s face to be fully seen. The style of the helmet appears to be more ceremonial decoration rather than practical protection.
    • Powers: While worn, the LP costs for increasing Intelligence via Bio-Boost are reduced by 50% (1LP minimum); this reduction does not stack with any other LP-reducing effect. It can be used up to three (3) times per day.
    • Restrictions: It is useless to non-bio-mages, except as a non-magical helmet.
    • Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, fox’s cunning
    • Weight: 3lbs.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Jar of Souls (wondrous item)
    • Appearance: This simple clay container appears quite mundane, & few would suspect its power, despite the strange rune-like etchings on the side. It is also rather small, only able to hold about 1 liter of liquid. Never the less, this is a prized possession among many bio-mages.
    • Powers: This useful little vessel allows one to store LP within it indefinitely, & to tap that LP when needed. LP within a jar of souls does not dissipate over time, & many of the different types can carry quite a bit, so wise (or unscrupulous) bio-mages use them to hold their own LP, as well as the LP of others. LP can be transferred into the jar from a willing bio-mage, a dead bio-mage, or a broken object infused with bio-magic. Any transfer of LP costs the user of the jar 1LP. A discovered jar of souls contains 1d20 × 50LP, regardless of type.
    • Types:
      • Type I can hold a maximum of 1,000LP.
      • Type II can hold a maximum of 5,000LP.
      • Type III can hold a maximum of 10,000LP.
      • Type IV can hold a maximum of 50,000LP.
      • Type V can hold a maximum of 100,000LP.
      • Type VI can hold a maximum of 500,000LP.
      • Type VII can hold a maximum of 1,000,000LP.
    • Restrictions: They are useless to non-bio-mages, except as non-magical jars.
    • Caster Level: 8th
    • Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, magic jar
    • Base Price:
      • 80,000gp (I)
      • 100,000gp (II)
      • 120,000gp (III)
      • 140,000gp (IV)
      • 160,000gp (V)
      • 180,000gp (VI)
      • 200,000gp (VII)
    • Weight: 2 lbs.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Mask of Charm (wondrous item)
    • Appearance: This polished ceramic white mask has the visage of a human face, frozen in an affable, almost sly grin. The gender of the face is indeterminate; men perceive the mask as feminine, whereas women view the mask as slightly masculine. A thin strip of satin is mounted on each side of the mask, so that it may be tied on over the wearer’s face.
    • Powers: While worn, the LP costs for increasing Charisma via Bio-Boost are reduced by 50% (1LP minimum); this reduction does not stack with any other LP-reducing effect. It can be used up to three (3) times per day.
    • Restrictions: It is useless to non-bio-mages, except as a non-magical mask.
    • Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, eagle’s splendor
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Mortal Mace (minor artifact)
    • Appearance: This wicked-looking cudgel is made of a dull black metal. It is basically a long rod (about 2’) with thick blade-like protrusions at the large tip, each with a pointed tip, which are curved toward the grip. The handle itself is wrapped in thick black leather thongs, & it separated from the rest of the truncheon by a small disc-shaped hand guard.
    • History: Created by a desperate village of bio-mages under siege, this artifact was forged with the intention to help the villagers break the siege & free their lands from the invading army at their gates. Although it was created with good intentions, dark deeds have surrounded it since its forging. The siege was broken, & the leaders of the invasion were slain, but not before the villagers were slaughtered by one of their own, the wielder of the mace. This unknown man could simply not stop killing, not as long as the mace was in his hand. Such is the eventual fate of many who find themselves with the Mortal Mace in hand.
    • Powers: When this +5 mace is used to deal a killing blow against a bio-mage (any strike that reduced him to 0HP or below), it also reduces the bio-mage’s LP to 0. The LP is completely negated, & cannot be recovered by any known means. This weapon can also be used by non-bio-mages to perform this function, but against non-bio-mages, it has no special effect (other than as a +5 mace).
    • Curse: Anyone who uses this mace to kill a living creature must make a Fortitude save (DC10) or become Chaotic Evil. The DC increases by 1 every time it is used to kill a living being. A chaotic evil character who uses this mace is compelled to kill, especially bio-mages, & can rid themselves of it only with a wish or a miracle.
    • Weapon Statistics: medium size, one-handed melee, 1d8 damage, 20/×2 critical, bludgeoning
    • Weight: 8lbs.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Negation Arrows (wondrous items)
    • Appearance: These strange arrows look like ordinary arrows, except the arrowheads will glow faintly in darkness.
    • Powers: When one of these +1 arrows strikes a bio-mage, they negate a certain amount of bio-magic in a person. The amount they deplete depends on the type of arrow used. The LP destroyed by a negation arrow does not count toward the LP a bio-mage spends before reaching fatigue/exhaustion. This negation of LP is permanent; only a wish or a miracle can restore them.
    • Types:
      • Type I negates 10LP.
      • Type II negates 20LP.
      • Type III negates 50LP.
      • Type IV negates 100LP.
      • Type V negates 200LP.
      • Type VI negates 500LP.
      • Type VII negates 1,000LP.
      • Type VIII negates 2,000LP.
      • Type IX negates 5,000LP.
      • Type X negates 10,000LP.
    • Restrictions: They are useless to non-bio-mages, except as non-magical arrows.
    • Caster Level: 12th
    • Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms & Armor, finger of death (Types I-V) or heightened finger of death (Types VI-X).
    • Market Price: These prices are for each individual arrow, & are rarely (if ever) found grouped:
      • 3,107gp (I)
      • 6,214gp (II)
      • 9,846gp (III)
      • 13,128gp (IV)
      • 17,285gp (V)
      • 22,842gp (VI)
      • 28,049gp (VII)
      • 32,056gp (VIII)
      • 37,863gp (IX)
      • 42,070gp (X)
    • Weight: 20 = 3lbs.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-06-21 at 03:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Zeta Kai, this is unrelated to your recent postings, but I want to thank you for being so thorough in your class description. I'm making a new base class, Mystic, for my homebrew campaign and I'm using the Bio-Mage posts as a guideline to make sure I mention all the pertinent information. The Mystic, coming soon to a message board near you!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Phial of Verve (wondrous item)
    • Appearance: This crystalline vial can hold about 1 ounce of fluid, but tiny bottles such as these are generally empty. The tight-fitting stopper, which is shaped like a circular ring, is also made of crystal, & it attached to the rest of the vessel by a thin, red cord.
    • Powers: The phial can be used to store up to 1,000LP, obtained from any source. As it fills with bio-magical energy, it appears to contain a swirling, reddish mist. When broken, it will not leak LP. The LP can be drawn out of the broken ampoule as quickly as a bio-mage wishes, up to his maximum drain speed. Also, any single potion can be placed within this container.
    • Restrictions: It is useless to non-bio-mages, except as a non-magical vial.
    • Caster Level: 7th
    • Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, imbue with spell ability
    • Market Price: 56,000gp
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Potion of Life (potion)
    • Appearance: This deep red concoction is a potent draught of liquid bio-magic. It is a bubbly & effervescent brew. Occasional wisps of mist emanate from the bio-magical mixture.
    • Powers: It bestows upon the drinker 50LP.
    • Restrictions: It is useless to non-bio-mages, except as a non-magical (albeit tasty) drink.
    • Caster Level: 5th
    • Prerequisites: Brew Potion, healing circle
    • Market Price: 1,250gp
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 02:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Scythe of Sapping (magic weapon)
    • Appearance: This weapon may have been adapted from a common farming tool, but it looks nothing like it mundane cousin. Its long shaft is curved in the shape of an elongated “S”, & is made of darkwood. The two handles are wrapped in red-dyed leather. The adamantine blade is reinforced & exceptionally long, obviously capable of inflicting incredibly destructive wounds with its razor-sharp edge.
    • Powers: With every successful hit, this +3 scythe transfers LP equal to the damage dealt from the opponent to the wielder.
    • Restrictions: If wielded by a non-bio-mage, the scythe cannot transfer LP to the user. It will store the LP for 24 hours, after which it will dissipate. The stored LP can be drawn out by a bio-mage at any time within that 24 hour period. If the scythe stores more than 250LP at any one time, though, it will explode, dealing 15d6 damage to everything in a 15’ radius (a successful Reflex save (DC15) required for half damage). If used against a non-bio-mage, it has no special effect (other than as a +3 scythe).
    • Caster Level: 16th
    • Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms & Armor, energy drain
    • Market Price: 144,318gp
    • Weapon Statistics: medium size, two-handed melee, 2d4 damage, 20/×4 critical, piercing/slashing
    • Weight: 10lbs.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 03:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Vest of Stamina (wondrous item)
    • Appearance: This simple vest is made from a dark blue fabric that shimmers in certain lights. It is tight-fitting, but not uncomfortably so. When worn, the bearer looks hardier, stronger, & more confident, which is exactly what most wearers feel with this garment on.
    • Powers: While worn, the LP costs for increasing Constitution via Bio-Boost are reduced by 50% (1LP minimum); this reduction does not stack with any other LP-reducing effect. It can be used up to three (3) times per day.
    • Restrictions: It is useless to non-bio-mages, except as a non-magical vest.
    • Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, bear’s endurance
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-06-21 at 03:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Wand of Pain (wand)
    • Appearance: Made of gnarled, ashy-white wood, this wand is carved with thousands of tiny scrawled phrases, in dozens of languages. Careful reading (& translation) of these carvings reveal that they are all various swears, epithets, invectives, insults, pejoratives & curses. These litanies of vulgarity seem to be directed at no one in particular.
    • Powers: It deals damage equal to the amount of LP that is poured into it, up to 1,000LP. Only 20LP can be poured into any one attack. After it has dealt all of its potential damage, it becomes useless.
    • Restrictions: It is useless to non-bio-mages, except as a non-magical stick.
    • Caster Level: 8th
    • Prerequisites: Craft Wand, symbol of pain
    • Market Price: 30,000gp
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-05 at 03:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Edit:
    That was all for PC's. For opposing NPCs, it's worse. Their effective starting LP is completely arbitrary; they usually aren't going to be going through 4 encounters per day, and so can simply go Zap, Zap, Zap throughout the encounter; burning themselves recklessly, sure, but once you get an NPC in a fight, they don't usually get another scene. The NPC is unlikely to conserve, and will thus seem more powerful than the NPC ought to be.
    But Bio-Mage NPCs do not usually look at the PCs and say "Oh well, it's not like I'm going to make it out alive. Better do a suicide strike!" They would conserve their energy until they are overcome, in which case they would be more lenient.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    Zeta Kai, this is unrelated to your recent postings, but I want to thank you for being so thorough in your class description. I'm making a new base class, Mystic, for my homebrew campaign and I'm using the Bio-Mage posts as a guideline to make sure I mention all the pertinent information. The Mystic, coming soon to a message board near you!
    Anytime I can help a fellow homebrewer, I am more than pleased. I believe that it is crucial to have as many class options available to a homebrew race/class as any other race/class. No one should have to play a class, only to find that there are no real options for expansion/advancement/progression/diversification.

If you ever cook up your own race, you could use the Oaves (see signature) as a guideline. If nothing else, the categories are thoroughly fleshed-out.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Still, i highly surrggest you get rid of the loss of one life point per day if they don't cast spells
    from,
    EE

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Anytime I can help a fellow homebrewer, I am more than pleased. I believe that it is crucial to have as many class options available to a homebrew race/class as any other race/class. No one should have to play a class, only to find that there are no real options for expansion/advancement/progression/diversification.

If you ever cook up your own race, you could use the Oaves (see signature) as a guideline. If nothing else, the categories are thoroughly fleshed-out.
    I read the Oaves, and they're great. I kinda want to include them in my setting, but I'd have to bend my mythology a bit to allow it.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenfloor View Post
    But Bio-Mage NPCs do not usually look at the PCs and say "Oh well, it's not like I'm going to make it out alive. Better do a suicide strike!" They would conserve their energy until they are overcome, in which case they would be more lenient.
    Xykon has already burned two Meteor Swarms on what amounts to one battle (forgot to cast defensively for the second, or was interruped by a readied action - either way, spell expended). Even a Sorcerer only gets so many 9th level spell slots. Xykon, however, doesn't need to deal with four encounters per day; at the end of the current scene, he can simply Teleport / Plane Shift out and get some rest. He doesn't have a tight timeline he needs to stick with, no particular reason to conserve.

He's spell dumping (although not as quickly as some) because he can.

By the nature of the class, everyone who takes it knows they're doomed eventually. Anyone who continues to cast spells from their pool is going to have some fatalisim in their outlook; they have goals that take precedence. When you have a goal that takes precedence over your life anyway, when something threatens that, you deal with the threat pretty much regardless of cost. First Wail of the Banshee didn't do the job? Time for another (or a different mass lose effect).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.