New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [FO:E] The Northern Wasteland of Equestria 1

Manehatten Ruins-Horseshoe Tower-Minster of Morale - 10:27 am

Fox Trot

"--Ooomph...! Ahh....."
    I found myself lamely squeaking as I fell forward and hit my chin on Whadda's right hind hoof. I took a moment to whimper to myself as I picked myself up with a wince.

"This is most definitely...welcoming...."
    I uttered aloud at the sight of all the pink ash piles..... "I wonder if its too late to reconsider this mission..."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

[The Ministries Shall Continue Until Morale Improves]

"Oof!" Nails oofed. "I take it you weren't programmed with safety in mind."

He sniffed around. "Okay, this is getting even more disturbing. I'm betting that's no fairy dust there. This is so much of a mess that I barely know where to start."
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Manehatten - MoM Hub]

"Why would something be trying to kill you?" PV-4 asks curiously. "Didn't I already mention that my aggression inhibitors prevent me from killing weak, fleshy organics like yourself? I sure am glad I have them! Knowing that I have state of the art programming to keep me from indulging murderous impulses is very comforting!"

Oh yes.

Very comforting.

The console nearest the door is active and flashing, waiting for a command prompt. Sitting in front of the console is a heap of pink ash.

"Some naughty ponies came in here and tried to steal things!" PV-4 announces in a tone equal parts indignant and confused. "Can you believe the nerve? But then they just disappeared. I'm not sure where they went. It'll forever remain a mystery!"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Manehatten Ruins-Horseshoe Tower-Minster of Morale - 10:28 am

Fox Trot

"Of course not Pink Voice, I believe you wouldn't kill me, you're far too sophisticated than that, what with all your lovely software,"
    Was I sorta flirting with a piece of advanced machinery? Yes, yes I was, if it kept my hide safe.

"Naughty ponies you say? What sort of naughty ponies were these that tried to steal from you? So you know, I would never steal from you sweetheart, as only naughty ponies did that. Anyways, what did these naughty ponies look like?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Manehatten - Ministry of a-Morale

Has there ever been an AI that didn't desire to be murder-crazy? Not according to any books Whadda's read. Of course, it is taught in the Ranger curriculum that all AIs are kill-crazy, so it may be a bit biased. Not here or there regardless.

"Well we told you about the imposters that tried to kill the last repair crew..."
    Scoops sort of trails off, taking a closer look around. "Ooh look console."

[science] _> system.control.security.status get
    Hopefully the anti-slaughter algorithms are truly still in place.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Still At The Ministry Of Morale]

Nails knew pretty well that everything in the universe had it in for him, so he had no reason to suspect that AIs were exempt.

"Did those thieves happen to look like ash piles?" he asked. "That's all I can see here, at any rate. Ick. We'll need some more janitors in here."

He gave Fox a sharp look. "Oh, and if you end up kissing something electrical, I refuse to take responsibility for your injuries or demise."

With that, he set about looking for a safe place to start working on repairs.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Fox Trot

"You, can just shush mister Unnecessary Commentator,"
    I rolled my eyes, and snorted a bit, and then glanced over at what Whadda was up to. "You'd be the last pony I'd go to for anything."

8. - Top - End - #38

[Manehatten - MoM Hub]

Aaww... why does everypony assume that PV-4 will kill them? Obviously she has only their best intentions in non-existent heart.

Hmm...

The security status is currently set to automated. Digging into the control algorithms for PV-4 will show that her anti-aggression inhibitors are indeed active. But... like much of her programing it seems to be somewhat corrupted. Who knows how long it has been since someone defragged these computers! Among the various status listed there's one line that seems a bit... unusual...

PV-4 life support: Active

"Ash? Why would they look like ash?"
    the automated voice inquires. "I can't see, silly! My vision is limited to an Eyes Forward Sparkle display. I can't tell what anypony looks like."

Well.

That would explain why she isn't aware of all the dead ponies scattered everywhere.

Oh!

And the cause of the malfunctioning sensors should be pretty obvious.

Somepony cut the connection between the computers that process the sensor data and the rest of the mainframe.

With a fire axe.

Looks like they were working on hacking through the cable that hooks the mainframe up to the defense network as well. But judging from that skeleton with a hole burned through the skull they didn't finish the job.

9. - Top - End - #39

"Now behave like good... little.. foals..........." Okay that's really weird. PV-4 has an organic component. That can either be some sort of preservation system or something as creepy as robo-brains.

[science] _>system find "life support" list
    Whadda's trying to find out what exactly is documented about this sort of madness. To the others, her silence might be telling.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post

"You, can just shush mister Unnecessary Commentator,"
    I rolled my eyes, and snorted a bit, and then glanced over at what Whadda was up to. "You'd be the last pony I'd go to for anything."
    "Thank goodness. I wouldn't want you pestering me."

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    ...the cause of the malfunctioning sensors should be pretty obvious.

Somepony cut the connection between the computers that process the sensor data and the rest of the mainframe.

With a fire axe.

Looks like they were working on hacking through the cable that hooks the mainframe up to the defense network as well. But judging from that skeleton with a hole burned through the skull they didn't finish the job.
    "Deliberate sabotage." Nails shook his head. "There's several possibilities here, and none of them mean anything good. Either Pink Voice was interfering with someone's evil intentions or she has evil intentions herself, and either way, we're in a significant amount of trouble."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Fox Trot

I ignored the damn buck with the attitude, he was not worth the time and effort. I snorted and sighed and moved on. While those two were dealing with that, I surveyed the room and poked around in the pink ashes.

12. - Top - End - #42

[Manehatten - MoM HUB]

Hmm... Life support list.

Oh! Well. That's interesting!

Information begins crawling across the screen. Mostly physiological data of various kinds, but also bits about drug infusions, suspension pod functioning, neural interface, and mainframe operation.

Subject BD-0223 Status: Deceased
    Subject HH-0298 Status: Deceased
    Subject LS-0988 Status: Deceased
    Subject SP-0468 Status: Stable
    Subject TT-0867 Status: Deceased
    Subject YS-0974 Status: Deceased
    PV-4 Operational Status: 12% operating efficacy

How... interesting...

Poking around in the pink ash doesn't reveal much other than pink ash. When somepony gets dusted by a disintegration weapon all their equipment tends to go with them.

"Whaaaat? Somepony was trying to sabotage me?"
    the automated voice gasps. "That's terrible! But it's my job to help keep everypony in Equestria safe! Why would anypony want to stop me from doing that?"

Poor PV-4 sounds distraught.

13. - Top - End - #43

12%... that's one eighth, not seventh. Whadda keeps plopping away at the system trying to find out some more information. She isn't even taking the time to talk constantly.

[science] _> find %"Subject SP-0468"%
    She's looking for documentation on the living subject, seeing who it is or why they'd be like that.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Fox Trot

"Because there are just some naughty ponies out there who like to do harm,"
    I told this PV-4. I stop looking around as all this pink ash is only going to make me sneeze. "But, we won't let naughty ponies try to sabotage you anymore, riiiiiiiiight guys?" Head tilt head tilt.

15. - Top - End - #45

[Manehatten - MoM HUB]

Hmm... Apparently the subject's physical location requires higher clearance to access. Or to even learn. As in you must either be Pinkie Pie or one of her right-hoof mares. Or at least have access to their security information.

However, Scoops is able to find a file with some personal information on SP-0468. Name, place of birth, mostly mundane information of that sort.

Surprise Party
    Pegasus mare
    Los Pegasus
    Employed as a 'Party Technician', whatever that is.
    She was taken out of service due to injury. But then reactivated again.

Now she's sealed away in a suspension pod somewhere wired up to a computer.

16. - Top - End - #46

Well look, a dead-end there. Whadda needs actual ministry credentials to get further, and the passwords in possession of the chapter need special permissions to get at. But still she may be able to get the murder machine off their backs for a bit at least.

"PV-4, can you go on a maintenance reset without disabling life support?"
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Manehatten Ruins-Horseshoe Tower-Minster of Morale - 10:29 am

Fox Trot

I shake my head, it was rhetorical, I didn't really need an answer. I opted for exploring this disaster struck room and snooped around.

18. - Top - End - #48

[Manehatten - MoM HUB]

"A maintenance reset?" PV-4 replies after a few moments hesitation. "Well... I don't know if that's such a good idea... Some of the systems are pretty spotty. I might not wake back up if I do that."

Sounds like she isn't terribly keen on that idea.

And understandably so!

No one likes the idea of turning themselves off!

At least no one worth mentioning.

"That other pony figured out what's wrong with my sensors, right? Can they be fixed? It would be really great if I could see again. It feels like I've been blind forever."

Uuuhh...

If her sensors are hooked back up PV-4 would probably notice all the bodies that litter the ministry hub. Is that a wise course of action?

And more snooping! Oh hey, there's another defense turret! But this one seems to be active at the moment. And slowly tracking Fox.

"Hehehe! You all just look like little bars to me right now. I wonder what kind of ponies you are?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Manehatten Ruins-Horseshoe Tower-Minster of Morale - 10:29 am

Fox Trot

"A handsome pony, who much likes their face in one piece,"
    I replied with a small chuckle and then paused in mid step as I watched the defense turret eying me.

"Wait, what other pony? Talking about one of us right?"
    I asked, admittedly, I wasn't paying that much attention to the others in here.

20. - Top - End - #50

Scoops just sort of drops the subject. Internal integrity of the machine could endanger this 'Surprise'. She would never hear the end of it if she let a preserved pre-war asset like this preserved pony die.

"Right, well then do you know if the suspension subjects are on-site or not? I mean ponies like that would be famous and it would make a lot of ponies happy to meet them."
    Social engineering... an engineered social machine... might work?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

[So, So Buried]

"Yes, 'handsome'. Just keep telling yourself that." Nails rolled his eyes at Fox.

He then noticed the turret. "You might want to point those things somewhere else, Pink Voice. I'd hate to have to damage the dangerous parts of you while working on fixing the safe ones."

He didn't have a lot of expertise involving electrical systems. His area of expertise was wood, not wires. Still, it couldn't be that complicated, could it? Just hook up the right things in the right places...

"They should be back up pretty shortly, although they may not be perfect, and pick up things that aren't there or fail to pick up things that are."

22. - Top - End - #52

[Manehatten - MOM Hub]

The turrets continue to track the ponies, but the distinctive whine of the weapons cycling the magical capacitors in preparation to fire has yet to be heard. PV-4 isn't prepping her turrets. In fact-

"Oh, there are just cameras on these things, silly filly! I'm want to be able to see you as soon as I can see again! Somepony smashed the rest of my cameras in this room. Just the ones on the turrets left! So pretty please don't break them?"

That actually seems like a somewhat reasonable request? Maybe?

At Scoop's question, however, "That information is classified along with all details of the Pink Voice project. Are you digging around in files you aren't supposed to be looking at, fleshling? Because that would be a very naughty thing to be doing. And I'm supposed to punish frail meat-sacks when they do naughty things."

Wuh oh. Her voice is sounding a bit more emotionless than it was a few moments before.

23. - Top - End - #53

"It just showed up on the diagnostics, PV-4," Whadda attempts to dodge. "We just have to make sure all the systems you have are working properly."

[science] _> system.log.query_log delete
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Ministry Of Morale]

"Well, uh... I'm a colt. And I won't do anything to hurt you as long as you don't try to kill us."

Nails glanced at Scoops. "Say, while you're doing that, could you check and see if she has access to neurotoxins?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Manehatten Ruins-Horseshoe Tower-Minster of Morale - 10:31 am

Fox Trot

Honestly, it felt like there was one little jealous ugly fly in this room being a snideful pest for now reason but other than to be a snideful pest. I rolled my eyes and walked away from the turret, watching it follow me. I had the feeling things were at a high chance of turning bad here...

"PV-4, when did those other naughty ponies appear? Can you give us a time?"

26. - Top - End - #56

[Manehatten - MoM Hub]

The inquiry log is deleted! Now PV-4 can't find the snooping. What a great idea!

"Why would I have access to neurotoxin...?" PV-4 inquires, sounding completely at a loss for the first time thus far. Though she brightens up at the mention of naughty ponies!

"Oh sure! According to my logs the last naughty pony I had to deal with arrived... forty seven years, two months, and fifteen days ago."

A pause.

"Wow, when I say that out loud it just doesn't sound right. And my visual sensors have been down two hundred and twelve years."

Another pause.

"Are... are you sure that something terrible didn't happen out there? Because this seems like an awfully long time to be explained by an oversight. Horseshoe Tower isn't exactly the sort of thing somepony can just lose track of."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Manehatten - Gutterville]

Every time Down shuffles back Swiss inches forward. It isn't an immediate reaction and she probably isn't even noticing that she's doing it. The loopy unicorn seems to have a vastly smaller concept of personal space than the pegasus does.

"Well, I think most ponies here on the surface don't like the Enclave because they keep Celestia hidden behind the clouds," Swiss replies after a few moments of consideration. A hoof is pointed in the general direction of the sun.

Rye coughs politely. "Swiss, you know that the sun isn't actually Celestia, right?"

Swiss just stares at the other mare blankly.

Blinks one eye.

Then the other.

Then both at once.

Then turns back to Down, just as spunky as ever! "But I like the clouds! I don't mind it being a little gloomy. AND you're here helping us. That means you're different from all the other Enclave ponies that wouldn't, right?"

She leans a little closer.

"Riiiiiiiiight?"

At some point, Down begins hovering, deciding that simply going above Swiss is the safest strategy for her personal space.

It's just easier that way.
    "Let's go with that. I'm sure telling you 'Grr, I'm a hateful pegasus soldier come to wipe you out!' would go rather well, otherwise."

Pilot said that once, to a group of ponies as a joke.
    It didn't really go over very well.

Somewhere behind her mask, Down sighs.
    "Dallying can't be good for the manticore victims."
    Keep on task, move move move! Save the friends, stop invading her space!
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2012-09-23 at 10:51 PM.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

28. - Top - End - #58

Maybe they should, at some point, tell PV-4 about the war... and then explain how everything Whadda said wasn't a lie except by omission. She just seems so happy to turn things into pink dust in her own little world...

[wild wasteland]"Um... there's about 500 different recipes for cake... They're really weird recipes"
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Swiss purses her lips as Down starts edging away up.

That's cheating!

"It's decided then! You should be the newest member of our team! All you'll need to do is recite the team pledge and the-MMPHF!"

The MMPHF would be the result of Rye stuffing a hoof in Swiss' mouth. "I'm sure our new friend here has other duties that she'll have to attend to, bein' part of the Grand Pegasus Enclave and all."

"Alright everypony, here it is!"

Oh hey! Corn is back! And he's clad in what is very possibly the most imposing set of non-magical armor ever. Or at least it would be if it weren't painted with lots of smiling daises and other such super-happy-sunshine things.

He sets down a little box, pops it open and!

...are those strawberries?

Covered in CHOCOLATE?

Sweet ridged horn of Celestia! Where did he get those?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post

Maybe they should, at some point, tell PV-4 about the war... and then explain how everything Whadda said wasn't a lie except by omission. She just seems so happy to turn things into pink dust in her own little world...

[wild wasteland]"Um... there's about 500 different recipes for cake... They're really weird recipes"

Manehatten Ruins-Horseshoe Tower-Minster of Morale - 10:31 am

Fox Trot

Not quite the answer I was expecting from this PV-4. I walked up to Whadda and whispered close to her ear. "This is just one bad feeling building up on top of each other...wasn't there a thing earlier we were to attend to?" Nudge nudge.