New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIX: I Emptied Your Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    *skulldesk*

Heck, I've not known she was a girl for twenty-four hours yet; even if I was even remotely romantically inclined - which I'm not - moving to fast there, aren't we? I'll let Bobcat explain why It Does Not Work Like That outside of (bad) fanfiction...

I'd even lie and say "yes" if I thought it'd help stop you stalking me, but that would only encourage you, now wouldn't it?
    I'm the herald of the shipping goddess. I can project a literal, entropic-altering field of smuttiness. So when I'm around, yes, it DOES work like that-if I want it to.

(And yes. Yes it would.)

Hey, brainwave!

Lix, I bet Spike would really, really appreciate the attention of a Love Goddess right about all-the-time! You should go and comfort him. Right now. And stay there. Y'know, in case he needs you. At a moment's notice. For stuff...

(Maybe I can get something out of all the crazy...!)
    This would be an EXCELLENT way to get rid of me!
    (KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU)
    But somehow it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I notice the use of "when" instead of "if".
    Skilfully noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    [color="darkgreen"]Motherly Twilight is the best Twilight. Seriously, her depiction during the CMC talent show is my very favoritest Twilight Sparkle. It made me like her as a person, rather than pity her as a plot element.
    Yeah, she was the best part of that episode. Although the ep was cringeworthy, and was the only one I considered skipping on my rewatch.
    (I didn't, and I enjoyed it.)

truth! Though the Deity thing is new to me. I never gave it a second look until all that "gods always succeed against mortals" buggery.
    Oh, those deities are just BORING.

Being a piece in the game is fun! Though I prefer knight, m'self. Pawn is only fun for the becoming.
    I'm rather fond of Rooks. Unstoppable, predictable, and as subtle as an avalanche.

Psh. That can't be true. If it was true, that means I've just been going along with being ship'd with other ponyfolk of my own volition.

And now you understand why I have dots in Manipulation.

B-But... But... You used the sad pony face! And you didn't mean *it? I am so confused. Also, very, very
    YOURE TEARING ME APART PONYTHREAD
    (Apologykiss)

Well, if you want to pass the crown, go ahead.
    I feel she deserves it.

No, more would be better! Our armour has to proof against all sorts of weapons, including being tough enough to resist things we might not even have heard of! It has to be able to withstand hits from the weapons as diverse as the common anti-matter warheads, the Cybertank's matter-flux warheads, conventional lasers, lazers, particle beams and blasters, heavy beams (i.e. slicey-starship-in-half-y beams), disintegrators, plasma-pulses and of course, railguns or magnetic linear accelerators.

Starship armour is much more than simple slabs of metal, it's a complex mesh of layered, interlocking components; "ablative" portions to absorb and reflect energy attacks (like "laser", "ablative" has gained a more general meaning), "reactive" parts to disrupt and re-direct explosive or kinetic type attacks, with material with bonds strong enough to drastically decrease the effect of molecular-level attacks (e.g. particle beams, matter-flux, anti-matter or teleport-dispersion effects like the Warp Accelerators in use by the Saturn Syndicate Ascendancy).

There's not much you can do about larger railguns, of course, except grit your teeth. Of course, they tend to be less murderous than, say anti-matter torpedoes because of their tendancy to over-penetrate and punch out the other side. Some races, like, say the Orc Fearcrushy, have thicker and even more durable armour in thicker layers, but we tend rather to rely on our shields. Ours are significantly better than average at repelling attacks, so we have less spot-failures (against lucky or consentrated fire or the aforementioned railgun slugs moving at excess of light-speed.)
    Hmm. That's interesting. My primary fleet has developed upon utterly different lines. Tell me; how's your dimensional shielding? You may want to boost it, in case our enemies attack you for helping us.

My second fleet is far less subtle, and relies upon some form of matter-disintegrating energy field. You'd have to ask the tech-priests how it works.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    You can have the whole guy, I'm gonna have another one soon.
    Have you house trained it yet? I just got new carpet in and I would hate to have him CON drain all over it. That's how that works, right?

Also, this isn't at all relevant: The Matrix - Deja vu

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    As a side note, there is such a thing as negative temperatures. They aren't "sub 0 K" temperatures, though. They are "plus positive infinity" temperatures. No, I don't know what kinds of mathematical trickery provided that kind of answer. It's not relevant to our discussion, in any case.
    Ah, math. The only area where you can create something called an Imaginary Number and use it to prove yourself right. I swear they actually stopped trying to make math sound like something real when they invented the Imaginary Number. It's like they realized nobody was going to call them out for making things up and just stopped caring.

Quote Originally Posted by WJMill View Post
    For me, they're late teens/early adults. Like 18-24ish? If I had to pick an age order for the mane six, it would go something like this:

(Oldest to youngest)
    -Rarity
    -Fluttershy
    -Applejack
    -Twilight Sparkle
    -Rainbow Dash
    -Pinkie Pie

(Based on characterized seeming maturity levels.)
    Personally I think Fluttershy's the oldest of the group, simply because in the Cutie Mark Chronicles she seems to already be hitting her growth spurt. Either that or she just grew faster than the others, but we do know she's older than Pinkie Pie.

I need to develop a new, third party of meddlers, plotters and pan-dimensional spectators.

Although I've always had more fun choosing sides, so I'll go for the Solar Empire, specifically to align myself against most of ponydom! It's not a fight until I'm swimming in foes like Scrooge through his money bin ;D
    Personally I'm going to do that thing where I stand off to one side and yell things like "You rock!", "Go get them!", and "Kill them all!" without really specifying who my comments are directed towards and hoping the winner thinks I was cheering for them the entire time.

1 I remember talking to a science teacher in highschool. When asked, he said absolute zeroe wasn't the lowest possible temperature, just the lowest which occurs naturally or something. Later study yielded the nugget that, at -497 or so degrees C (Celsius? Centigrade? Hay if I know, I didn't follow up on it) matter ceases to exist.
    Sub Zero generates cold of -500 C. So he breaks physics. Or the outlands have different physics.

*. Not really a foot note. Sorry folks.
    I thought absolute zero couldn't occur in nature, but was the point when all matter ceases to move. So everything becomes more solid than a solid. No I have no idea what that would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I also thought it originated from the egophiliac picture until I read the shocking truth a few pages ago.
    The pony socks post inspired Ego to make the picture. The picture made ponies in socks popular.

Oh, silly little pony.
    You ARE a pawn in my game.
    The truest wisdom of a deity is to allow yourself to be among the pawns.
    ...Bugger. Just don't go all Odyssey on me kthx.

So, no suggestions on any dark blue ponies with yellow/red manes then? Are there even any? My background pony-fu is weak...
    I was going to respond to this earlier but forgot/got sidetracked. Here's a list of ponies you might want to consider:

Spoiler
    Show

Apple Cider

Affero

Blueberry

(Might not have yellow hair, hard to tell with the shadows)
    Giselle

Jangles

Doctor Hooves/The Master/Goldenseal

Serena

Sunstreak

Orange Blossom

Tornado

Wind Whistler

Elle Cuisine

Firecracker Burst

Sweet Bumblebee

She actually said something unrepeatable.

Also, to flash me, she'd have had to take her armour off. And, like me, Hopereaver wears the heavier medium body armour (because we both tend to get stuck in to combat on away missions, so we both prefer the extra protection over the standard light body armour normally used by staship crews). That's a fully sealable (because some enviroments are hostile even to creatures that don't need to breath - corrosive atmospheres, for example) suit of synthetic plasteel armour with greaves, so it's not something you can take off quickly. (We also have a heavier suit for drop troops, and of course, full powered armour as well. All our armour is also magic-permable, meaning I don't have to worry about chucking spells with fully suited up.)
    Wow, she must really be angry to take that much time to flash you!

Also something is ringing/humming/making a noise somewhere beyond the walls of my bedroom. It is giving me a headache and I need to head off to sleep soon. This is going to be a long night.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

For the record, I am not the one getting married, my sister is.

Also for the record, I am exhausted.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Have you house trained it yet? I just got new carpet in and I would hate to have him CON drain all over it. That's how that works, right?
    He's utterly terrified of my power, so effectively yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Ah, math. The only area where you can create something called an Imaginary Number and use it to prove yourself right. I swear they actually stopped trying to make math sound like something real when they invented the Imaginary Number. It's like they realized nobody was going to call them out for making things up and just stopped caring.
    That's awesome. Can I quote it?

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post

(HUGS)
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2011-08-05 at 09:56 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

-Starship stuff-
    Out of curiousity, how would relativistic amorphous projectiles designed to approach perfectly inelastic collisions be handled? What about relativistic projectiles with an exceedingly high impact surface area?

Just curious. It's not like Scoltland R&D is drafting up some weapon plans, nope not at all.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    What about relativistic projectiles with an exceedingly high impact surface area?
    That seems silly. You want as small a surface area as possible.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

An awful lot of those ponies on your list were blue. Clearly they hate blue ponies and refuse to give them focus; now we know why Rainbow Dash didn't get a song.

Also, if Wind Whistler is like she is in the 80s MLP movie, she's the most competent pony in the room, and has a sort of take charge-ish personality, ala Rainbow Dash, only less self focused.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

That's awesome. Can I quote it?
    Knock yourself out. I really do hate more complicated forms of math entirely on the grounds that when you start dealing with imaginary numbers there's something wrong. They very easily could have come up with a better name for it, but instead they stick with a name that implies they invented something for the sole purpose of making an equation they couldn't get to work right work. And to get famous for doing it.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Knock yourself out. I really do hate more complicated forms of math entirely on the grounds that when you start dealing with imaginary numbers there's something wrong. They very easily could have come up with a better name for it, but instead they stick with a name that implies they invented something for the sole purpose of making an equation they couldn't get to work right work. And to get famous for doing it.
    Huh. It seems logical to me. xD

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

That seems silly. You want as small a surface area as possible.
    To a point. If your surface area is too small, and your target's kinetic absorption too low, you can overpenetrate your target, only bleeding off some of the energy as the projectile flies right through. One way to prevent this is to have a much larger surface area to impact upon, but outside of a hard vacuum, this is impractical as collisions with particles saps momentum before hitting the target. Another is to make a projectile that deliberately malforms on impact, this is the principle behind hollow-points.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, a very good point. I bow to your superior knowledge of space based kinetic weaponry.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Barbarian in the Playground

I never noticed until watching the German fandub but during the storybook opening Celestia is wearing Twilight's tiara when she seals Nightmare Moon.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

To be fair, imaginary numbers are an electrical engineering thing. Circuit boards and such don't work very well without using imaginary numbers to explain what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post

Congratulations! Although it's not like you were the one who made the proposal. Although with the family you've put together for Midnight, I have to wonder...

[EDIT]
    Wait, where did WJMill's post go?
    Last edited by erikun; 2011-08-05 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

15. - Top - End - #345
    Colossus in the Playground

Let the murder countdown begin.
    Dash: "Gasp! Hoity Toity's hairstyle has been murdered!"
    Rarity: "TO THE FASHIONMOBILE!"

*Cheesy theme music*

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, a very good point. I bow to your superior knowledge of space based kinetic weaponry.
    Of course, that's only conventional weaponry. Out of the more exotic ones, my personal favorite is the Decoherence Beam, which forces matter into multiple quantum states, then collapses them into one.

It's a miracle of science, I tell you.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, imaginary numbers are an electrical engineering thing. Circuit boards and such don't work very well without using imaginary numbers to explain what is going on.
    And this is what causes me issues. You just said that without the use of something imaginary you can't explain how circuit boards work. That is a stupid name and I demand they change it!

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

So...

I finally finished it.

Behold! A non-ship Trixie fic.

Now, tell me it sucks. Because I think I went overboard with it.

19. - Top - End - #349

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    So...

I finally finished it.

Behold! A non-ship Trixie fic.

Now, tell me it sucks. Because I think I went overboard with it.
    Isn't non-ship Trixie an oxymoron?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Complex numbers, which are part imaginary and part real, have even more uses. The name is unfortunate, but it's a little late to change now.

[EDIT]
    Wait, where did WJMill's post go?
    Those were two different cats, I assure you.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-05 at 10:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Isn't non-ship Trixie an oxymoron?
    Pretty much. Which is exactly why I went ahead and did it anyway.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Is that a new imposter I see?

Also, I've decided that the Scoltland Imperial Navy runs on Mutants and Masterminds. That system is the best system.
    Great, now I need to finally get around to learning d6 fantasy before I can enter any of the RP here.

Also, it's time for News From the Webcomic Front! It would seem that bronydom has conquered Panthera. This should get us one additional resource per turn!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Banned

I'm rather fond of Rooks. Unstoppable, predictable, and as subtle as an avalanche.
    those are very rook-like qualities.
    Ach. Now I'm going to spend a week studying chess ...

And now you understand why I have dots in Manipulation.
    Stupid gullibility flaw

* Zero absolute particle movement. *It is entirely possible to have positive and negative movement, such as on a number line where positive is in one direction and negative is the opposite. *In that case, negative movement would simply be in the direction of the negative "pole".

There is not a way to have less than no movement, though.
    That's why I specified that it was inconceivable; I couldn't tell you how it would work, but that doesn't mean I discount it as impossible.

I think the commodore meant negative movement specifically in this context. That is, even less movement than none at all. And you're right; the closest I can fathom of "negative motion" is motion or equivalent energy being displaced into a plane that doesn't count as motion. But that's kind of a cheap bye, and not a real solution.*

Heat transfers from one system to another, until both systems have reached equilibrium. *That is, if you have one system at 0 K and another at 300 K (and have the same mass), then you end up with both at 150 K in the end.

I just treat an "elemental cold" as one system remaining at 0 K, absorbing heat but not changing temperature. *Thus, the second system will drop to 150 K, then 75 K, and continue dropping in temperature as long as the elemental cold remains. *In that case, you end up with situation resembling radioactive half-lifes, where the "coldness" or the volume doesn't matter as much as how quickly heat can be transferred out of the material object.

It also produces some fun situations with extremely hot objects. *(You will reduce the object to half its current temperature in the same amount of time, regardless of the currect temperature, so starting very hot causes far more temperature stresses.)
    You've just done that thing, where you said succinctly in a couple paragraphs what I've been struggling to express for a good while, which is why I love the Internet. So much communication possibilities.

So energy transfer is a half-life affair? After X time, exactly one half of remaining energy will transfer until equilibrium is reached?
    And would that be one half of the difference, or one half of the remaining? If the latter, then would two objects of equivalent mass trade the excess energy back and forth like oscillations of a spring?

0 Kelvin = -273.15 Celcius, exactly. *(Centigrade is another term for Celcius.) *In fact, the definition of Kelvin is to be identical to the Celcius scale (+1 K = +1 C) except that 0 K is set at absolute zero, rather than at the freezing point of water at Standard-Temperature-Pressure.
    So water freezes at 273.15 K?
    That goes a long way towards dispelling my 5th grade notion of Kelvin being an utterly arbitrary scale (not that other scales aren't equally arbitrary).

Huh, this depends on what we mean by "matter would overlap".
    I believe it was, specifically, the neutrons and protons of the atom were somehow overlapping with each other, and occupied such a small amount of space that the researcher could only presume they somehow phased through each other.

This is a magazine talking about a study, though, and there were no citations I could find. So grain of salt.

Let the murder countdown begin.
    Man, first Futterabuse, now Rainbow dastardly? No wonder you don't do shipping, mate. It only ends in tears XD

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

Where'd my post go?
    I decided to baleet it in favor of PMs. D: The offer still stands, if you'd like me to critique your ponyfics, lemme know. :)

Edit: (P.S. I'm not entirely against shipping, but I'm open to reading them as long as they're not like sexual. That kinda bugs me. X_x;)
    Last edited by WJMill; 2011-08-05 at 10:43 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3625-8308-8437
    Pokemon X | Harvest Moon ANB | Animal Crossing ANL
    Fighting Type | Machoke | Throh | Breloom

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Pretty much. Which is exactly why I went ahead and did it anyway.
    Someone should write a story about Trixie, Luna, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Big Macintosh entering a regatta.

I decided to baleet it in favor of PMs.
    You can do that? Never mind; just noticed the "delete this message" option for the first time.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-05 at 10:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356

I say we call Fan!Trixie "The Great and Powerful Shipxie!"
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

27. - Top - End - #357
    Barbarian in the Playground

Confounded computers! How do they work? Oh right, you just explained it: Imagination!

Again, tempting though it wouldn't be to engage in a really highly unequal battle I wouldn't wish on MCerberus, see above.
    Are you suggesting here that MCerberus would still have a chance, however infinitesimally small? Because if his chances for success aren't absolutely zero, then they might as well be 100 percent!

I gotta agree with this. Spike needs some love, even just of the hugs and cuddles variety.
    Especially of the hugs and cuddles variety, since Zecora seems to have the rest covered.
    Wait a minute... is this referencing a fanfic or something? Because I really hope that this is from a fanfic, and not from what I think it's from.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can do that?
    I guess, because I did. o.o

(There's a box above the text box in Edit Mode that you can check 'delete post' and you have to give a reason.)
    3DS Friend Code: 3625-8308-8437
    Pokemon X | Harvest Moon ANB | Animal Crossing ANL
    Fighting Type | Machoke | Throh | Breloom

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

I decided to baleet it in favor of PMs. D: The offer still stands, if you'd like me to critique your ponyfics, lemme know. :)

Edit: (P.S. I'm not entirely against shipping, but I'm open to reading them as long as they're not like sexual. That kinda bugs me. X_x;)
    Oh god no. Clopfics are really a league of their own.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

That's why I specified that it was inconceivable; I couldn't tell you how it would work, but that doesn't mean I discount it as impossible.

I think the commodore meant negative movement specifically in this context. That is, even less movement than none at all. And you're right; the closest I can fathom of "negative motion" is motion or equivalent energy being displaced into a plane that doesn't count as motion. But that's kind of a cheap bye, and not a real solution.*
    Personally I've always interpreted things that shouldn't have a negative value as draining that value from the surrounding area to keep it zero/positive. So something with a negative light value becomes a source of darkness as it drains light from the area around it, and an object with a temperature below absolute zero would start draining the heat from everything around it to keep itself at absolute zero. The lower the value, the wider the range of the drain.