New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    RD/RHD?
    Residence (Hall) Director. There should be one somewhere, I imagine. They might be a little elusive though. Ask an RA if you know one of those or where to find one. (Residence Advisor? Assistant? I'm not sure, my old school just had Peer Advocates instead, and those were the same thing these RAs seem to be.)

Showers are a personal weakness of mine. They're very soothing and I like to just sit on the shower floor curled up letting the water flow over me.
    In my own bathroom, definitely. In a dorm, HELL no. I can barely stand to be in the bathroom at all, even in the shower. Showers here are pretty nasty too. They're never cleaned, and there's no ventilation, so they take forever to dry, and just molder and grow bacteria everywhere.

Hm hm. I'm not sure if I mentioned it here before but I've come across accounts like this several times before.
    Yeah, we were learning about "the Homunculus" and the brain's "map" of the body, so I was curious about transsexual people and congenitally limb-deficient people.
    Jude P.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Showers are so good.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    trust me, I understand that. Mine is a bit more ROUND that I would like it to be
    Yes, because transgender dysphoria is exactly the same as being a bit overweight...
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    So I was reading about congenitally limb-deficient people and phantom limbs, because my neurobio prof. didn't know the answer to that. Many of them do experience phantom limbs that they never had. Then I looked up transsexuals and phantom limbs. I don't remember if this has been mentioned here before. Seems like relatively few post-op transsexual women experience phantom penises (that just sounds funny, really, "phantom penis") compared to cissexual men who lose their penises in accidents or to cancer or whatnot. Likewise, a significant number of transsexual men experience phantom penises from a young age, despite never having had penises.
    Ramachandran makes that the basis of a neurological basis for transsexualism. However, it's not like you just throw away the genitalia tissue when you do SRS on a trans person. You do, in fact, throw away the penis when you lose it in an accident or to penis cancer. So the situations aren't the same.

It's an interesting thought, and I definitely think there's something to it, but there are key questions that remain unanswered. The most important one to me is the fact that HRT lessens gender dysphoria. This means there's an endocrinological component here as well.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Yes, because transgender dysphoria is exactly the same as being a bit overweight...
    You know the funny thing about when you're sarcastic? Your avatar's smirk always makes me read it in an "amused" tone of voice. It's awesome.

On topic though... Do people here believe they were born with their sexual orientation (and specifically only that)? I ask because I was called homophobic and closeted today for saying I didn't believe I was born with my sexuality. Funnily enough he stormed off before I could point out I was bisexual and thought that it was partially social and environmental, but... yeah...

I don't believe humans can voluntarily change their sexual orientation (well, not with the inadequate neurological technology humans have developed as of this writing anyway), and from my own experience I have to wonder how much of it is a matter of posturing rather than substance, but I also don't believe that it's fixed before it develops. So... other people's opinions?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    ION, my friend who I've known since I was 9 but haven't seen recently has started coming to GameSoc. Unfortunately, he's either having real trouble or simply not bothering to switch to calling me Tam and use the right pronouns. This is annoying, as I was really hoping the new freshers would get to know me as female first and male only afterwards.
    *Hugs* You should probably talk to him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Sorry if I'm being snippy these days, I'm extremely tense, and have been for days now. Soon I'll either get the news I'm hoping for and be cheerful again, get the news I'm dreading and go into a total decline and probably stop coming here for a while, or just crack from the tension and who knows what I'll do?
    *Hugs*

stupid body being the wrong shape grumble grumble grumble
    *hugs* Know the feeling...
    *Hugs both of you*

So I was reading about congenitally limb-deficient people and phantom limbs, because my neurobio prof. didn't know the answer to that. Many of them do experience phantom limbs that they never had. Then I looked up transsexuals and phantom limbs. I don't remember if this has been mentioned here before. Seems like relatively few post-op transsexual women experience phantom penises (that just sounds funny, really, "phantom penis") compared to cissexual men who lose their penises in accidents or to cancer or whatnot. Likewise, a significant number of transsexual men experience phantom penises from a young age, despite never having had penises.
    I think I've noticed a phantom uterus and vagina before. >.>

Showers are a personal weakness of mine. They're very soothing and I like to just sit on the shower floor curled up letting the water flow over me.
    I do that sometimes~ :3

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    On topic though... Do people here believe they were born with their sexual orientation (and specifically only that)? I ask because I was called homophobic and closeted today for saying I didn't believe I was born with my sexuality. Funnily enough he stormed off before I could point out I was bisexual and thought that it was partially social and environmental, but... yeah...

I don't believe humans can voluntarily change their sexual orientation (well, not with the inadequate neurological technology humans have developed as of this writing anyway), and from my own experience I have to wonder how much of it is a matter of posturing rather than substance, but I also don't believe that it's fixed before it develops. So... other people's opinions?
    I'm not sure about orientation (I first noticed attraction to girls at 5-ish and some boys in early puberty), but I think I was born trans (or I developed it really early). I mean, that funny feeling I now know is mostly vague dysphoria has pretty much always been there. Also I thought some really weird things about my body and genitals that pretty strongly support it in hindsight. o.o

Also, *hugs*

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno, I genuinely don't know how people can spend that long in the shower. I mean, you take your clothes off, step into the shower, then wet and wash your body as the water is warming (I have sort-of-warm showers, never hot showers), then rinse it off as you wet your hair, then shampoo the roots, rinse, condition the tips, rinse, step out, towel off quickly cause you're naked and wet, then put new clothes on and comb through your hair. That all only takes ten minutes for me, up to fifteen if it's cold or I'm sick or tense and I decide to have a slightly-warmer shower and stand under the water for a minute to relax, but that takes effect almost immediately.
    A real shower takes 30-60 minutes. Yay for near infinite cheap hot water.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Don't you have a SO around to give you footrubs and chilled margaritas?
    I'm not very good at getting footrubs, I tend to kick. More importantly, he is also very stressed at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    (Also hugs kender)
    (hugs Lix)

stupid body being the wrong shape grumble grumble grumble
    (hugs Helio)

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

Thanks for asking me to make the thread, SiuiS. I don't know why, but that acknowledgement that I'm part of the community, not just a hanger-on, really touched me

I has a happy.
    I'm glad! I felt like kind of a usurper doing it myself last time, but you've always been one of the archetypal people here in my mind. You were a natural choice~!

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Do I really need to remind people not to do this?
    I think so, actually. It is one thing to be told not to make posts without real content, it is another entirely to be told that the harmless, friendly joke you just made is against the rules, despite it happening all over the forum unopposed. Unfortunately, it's one of those victimless Crimes that doesn't even seem like a crime at all.

At UC Santa Cruz the dorms are co-ed, but there are women only floors available on request. Interestingly, there are no single gender floors for men, the justification given being that there had never been enough requests to justify it.
    Understandable. Given US college stereotypes, the guys want to hang with the girls as the girls want to avoid the creepy guys.

University bunfight is today - the event where all the clubs and societies try to persuade you to join them. I'm getting cold feet over my intention to sign up for pole dancing
    Do it! I've been trying to sign up for belly dancing, myself. But my funds always dry up when there's a class available >_<

I ... think pole-dancing is kind of stupid and problematic, actually, but that doesn't stop me from thinking you should go for it, if you want to. Go Helio!
    Gonna Load up this one post rather than quote everything, if you don't mind? Not directed solely at you, a chara.

Pole dancing doesn't really have a culture of sleeze behind it. It has the whispers an rumors that any slight deviation from the norm has; male cheerleaders are homos, male pony fans are pedophiles, pole dancing is for desperate women makin their way through college, etc. I like this, again, to media's insistence of some sort of Jock/Nerd divide that everyone hears about but never first or even second hand.

Pole dancing has been used by strippers. Tis true. But it is much more like the stuff you see at the cirque de soleis when done well, than like... Well, like some hypothetical sleeze thing. Pole dancing has a lot of backlash akin to massage and belly dancing. By being a healthy young adult going about a perfectly acceptable activity in a safe and fun manner, Heliomance is doing the work of changing that misunderstood culture, rather than waiting for the culture to change before signing up. I am surprised the collective thread here hasn't latched on to that and thrown in support. Our Helio is being the change we all want to see, aye?

Also, there is a strong but not very vocal push for men's pole dancing. The differences in weight distribution and flexibility between male an female athletes (and here I am generalizing) changes some of the basic routines a bit, but honestly the use of poles in dance has been seen as masculine for a good thirty five years – you just didn't notice because those kids leaping onto lamp posts and showing off their strength and stamina are the same ones spinning on their heads with a ghetto blaster in the background pumping out noise. The real struggle for male pole dancing is makin it seem legitimate in the ballroom sense, and moving away from huge T-shirts and backwards baseball caps on angry faces.

I dunno, I genuinely don't know how people can spend that long in the shower. I mean, you take your clothes off, step into the shower, then wet and wash your body as the water is warming (I have sort-of-warm showers, never hot showers), then rinse it off as you wet your hair, then shampoo the roots, rinse, condition the tips, rinse, step out, towel off quickly cause you're naked and wet, then put new clothes on and comb through your hair. That all only takes ten minutes for me, up to fifteen if it's cold or I'm sick or tense and I decide to have a slightly-warmer shower and stand under the water for a minute to relax, but that takes effect almost immediately.
    Ah, that's where we differ.

My hair is physically resistant to getting wet. My girlfriend got tired of my long showers and threw me in the tub to do my hair herself, once. After two full shampoo cycles the separating of the strands and the soap breaking the surface tension of the water got about 90% of my hair to actually get wet
    Hm. Maybe it's n oil issue? Oil makes things waterproof, right?

But my hair resembles less, say, a doll thrown in the pool and more, oh I dunno, an aquatic spider's diving bell >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    I wish I knew what I really sound like. I've been trying for almost a year, and I'm still not even close.

Of course, it's usually just little things like singing in the car, but still. I'd expect some progress! That and not knowing my name is really dragging me down...
    A name is as much a creation as a discovery. If you cannot fis who you are, forge who you wish to be.

Well, went and signed up for the pole dancing club (I actually saw one male name on the list!) and also the LGBTsoc, which I didn't have the nerve to sign up for last year.

Also signed up for parkour, KrakenSoc the steampunk society, and the Assassins' Guild.

I never would have considered doing pole dancing before, but a friend of mine had a pole dancing birthday/engagement party, and not only did I have a really good time, I discovered I'm a bit of a natural. So I figured I'd give it a try.

Now I just need to dehair my legs again and get a pair of shorts and a sports bra. I'm going to try going as a girl, which is slightly terrifying. Hopefully it'll be okay.

I am jealous as Sin and am not talkin to you until my own life improves or I forget I said anything. So about 30 minutes or so, but it's okay, I'll be asleep!

I was kinda tempted to change it to "Of Shoes, and Hips, and Body Wax" :P
    While I like the idea, I think that would probably lead to another rash of drive by flirtings.

It seriously took me as long as typing out the white text to forget XD

Don't you have a SO around to give you footrubs and chilled margaritas?
    As an SO, this is pretty much what we were designed for.

Asta covered my response, but aye. We've had a thread discussion about it. I'm afraid I don't have anythiń really meaningful to contribute on the subject.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I think so, actually. It is one thing to be told not to make posts without real content, it is another entirely to be told that the harmless, friendly joke you just made is against the rules, despite it happening all over the forum unopposed. Unfortunately, it's one of those victimless Crimes that doesn't even seem like a crime at all.
    It's definitely not a harmless joke, nor is it a "victimless crime", it affects the server (especially on popular threads such as this one). The rule is there for multiple reasons, not just the flood the server gets at the creation of a new thread due to people who want to get in the first few posts, or the fact that contentless posts (e.g. consisting only of things listed below or things such as "+1") are prohibited in general.

We have asked people to not post things along the lines of "first post/page!", "new thread!", "*boogies*", etc. at the creation of a new thread. In cases where people reference the first post/page, the entire post is deleted, regardless of other content. The mention of the other things is somewhat tolerated, though frowned upon and not really appreciated, as long as there wasn't a rush to be amongst the first and the post contains actual content.

If you see it happening, then please report it.

Note, of course, that not all one or minimal word replies are contentless. I myself am a fan of putting a lot of meaning into a small reply. And, sometimes, a picture really is worth a thousand words. An example of this is where I have used a picture of a Facebook thumbs up to mean "Wow, congratulations! That is amazing news!"

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post

~Bianca
    If you feel comfortable with it, I definitely think you should contact Ramachandran (official homepage) and discuss this with him. While anecdotal data* like this is not very useful for confirming hypotheses, it is extremely valuable for forming them.

*anecdotal because it's not collected is systemathized, not because we think you're lying. Important distinction.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-09-27 at 05:41 AM.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

I actually don't know. I always believed I was only interested in women, but there are a couple of guys (Teddy, Kneenibble I'm looking at you) that I've looked at at gone "wow, they're seriously hot". I also strongly suspect that if I woke up one morning in a female body, with nothing else changed, I'd be comfortably bisexual. Certainly I occasionally fantasize about being female and having a boyfriend. I just have a strong aversion to the idea of me with a male body being with another male.

I'm glad! I felt like kind of a usurper doing it myself last time, but you've always been one of the archetypal people here in my mind. You were a natural choice~!

I am jealous as Sin and am not talkin to you until my own life improves or I forget I said anything. So about 30 minutes or so, but it's okay, I'll be asleep!

What I do?
    Last edited by Heliomance; 2012-09-27 at 06:36 AM.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

13. - Top - End - #73

Ramachandran makes that the basis of a neurological basis for transsexualism. However, it's not like you just throw away the genitalia tissue when you do SRS on a trans person. You do, in fact, throw away the penis when you lose it in an accident or to penis cancer. So the situations aren't the same.

It's an interesting thought, and I definitely think there's something to it, but there are key questions that remain unanswered. The most important one to me is the fact that HRT lessens gender dysphoria. This means there's an endocrinological component here as well.
    Yeah, I did mention the fact that everything except the testes is retained, just rearranged, in SRS, when I was telling a friend about it. I don't remember if the article I was reading, which was a summary of the actual study, mentioned that part, but I hope the study did.
    On the endocrinological bit, it would be interesting to do a study with some participants receiving placebo. Has that ever been done? Is that even allowed by ethics and stuff? I feel like it would be unethical.
    Oh yeah, and it would be interesting to study agendered and genderfluid people more.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    My old school's dorm had nigh-infinite hot water, you could have half a dozen guys showering at once for over an hour (with some people who weren't me trading off with other people who wanted to shower) without losing any heat. And the showers weren't connected to the toilets at all.
    My current dorm has a mediocre shower, which has a bit of trouble if both are in use at once, and which changes temperature when somebody flushes a toilet.
    Jude P.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm going to give you the crappy answer you always hear everyone say (but weirdly no-one yet on this forum) and sucks to hear it, but I consider it true:
    A bit of both.
    I am convinced that the reason I'm bisexual is because I've been raised almost solely by my mother, had a lot of girls as friends, etc, etc. That would point me out as gay. I also believe, though, that somewhere in my genes something says: Dude, go like them all! (or is this my pokemon-side speaking?)

This discussion is all about nature-nurture, IMO, and thus would require a bit of both to work: Why would you like guys if it is impossible in your mechanism to do so? Why would you like girls for the same reason? But is everything decided by birth? No, choices do matter.
    On the other hand: maybe everyone has a bi-gene (or both a gay- and heterosexual-gene) and your raising defines your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh
    Still living at my parents, so infinite hot water for me
    I LOVE sitting in the shower, an hour long just relaxed. It's the only time a day all my worries go away.

15. - Top - End - #75

You know the funny thing about when you're sarcastic? Your avatar's smirk always makes me read it in an "amused" tone of voice. It's awesome.

Well, I read something somewhere fairly reputable that said human personality and whatnot is about fifty-fifty nature-nurture. So I don't really know. Would everybody in this thread be willing to donate their brains to me when they die?
    Jude P.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I did mention the fact that everything except the testes is retained, just rearranged, in SRS, when I was telling a friend about it. I don't remember if the article I was reading, which was a summary of the actual study, mentioned that part, but I hope the study did.
    On the endocrinological bit, it would be interesting to do a study with some participants receiving placebo. Has that ever been done? Is that even allowed by ethics and stuff? I feel like it would be unethical.
    Oh yeah, and it would be interesting to study agendered and genderfluid people more.
    According to this meta-analysis about one in three trans women experience 'calming effect'. This effect is not seen in trans men, which is a severe problem for an 'endocrine transgenderism" hypothesis. OTOH, never trust meta-analyses unless they support what you already believe...

Agendered and genderfluid... I think it would be best to wait. Science works by taking a huge problem and attack it bit by bit. Trans men and trans women are most like cis people - let's make sure we know how gender is represented in the brain before we start investigating those where this representation is absent or in flux. I hope I didn't offend anyone and I'm very much open to be proven wrong on this.

― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post

~Bianca
    Yeah, I have, too. Of course, mine was almost certainly through sheer willpower and psychosomatic-suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    This is the truth. We should all learn from this person - he seems incredibly wise .

Do it! I've been trying to sign up for belly dancing, myself. But my funds always dry up when there's a class available >_<
    I would actually like to try belly dancing myself. But not as a guy. Oh, and I saw some pole-dancing on TV briefly last night. It was on Two and a Half Men when they were in a stip-club, unfortunately, but the actual routine was incredible O_O . I can definitely see how the practice should be removed from that stereotype, 'cause that could seriously be in the Olympics; if trampoline can be included, something as athletic as pole-dancing should definitely be!

A name is as much a creation as a discovery. If you cannot fis who you are, forge who you wish to be.
    That's...actually really good advice. Thanks a lot!

I actually don't know. I always believed I was only interested in women, but there are a couple of guys (Teddy, Kneenibble I'm looking at you) that I've looked at at gone "wow, they're seriously hot". I also strongly suspect that if I woke up one morning in a female body, with nothing else changed, I'd be comfortably bisexual. Certainly I occasionally fantasize about being female and having a boyfriend. I just have a strong aversion to the idea of me with a male body being with another male.
    I'm actually the exact same way. Okay, I haven't actually found any male crushes (except this one time I was going home on the bus, and a guy got on with a swish of his hair and I was all like, "Wow, I can see how someone would be really attracted to that! Never actually met the guy, however), but if it was a choice between my sex and my orientation, I would choose the former all the time, and have no compunctions about doing it.

I wouldn't want to give up on girls, however. They're so pretty!

What I do?
    I think SiuiS is was jealous at the fact that you're so lucky to be able to do all those things, and have natural talent at them, to boot. I know I am a little!

Very big news today. I saw my therapist yesterday, and we've (read: I've) decided it's time to come out to my parents. She going to help me next time. Two weeks to P-Day. Nervousness! >_<
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually don't know. I always believed I was only interested in women, but there are a couple of guys (Teddy, Kneenibble I'm looking at you) that I've looked at at gone "wow, they're seriously hot". I also strongly suspect that if I woke up one morning in a female body, with nothing else changed, I'd be comfortably bisexual. Certainly I occasionally fantasize about being female and having a boyfriend. I just have a strong aversion to the idea of me with a male body being with another male
    This is pretty much the same as my sexual definitions. 99% straight but one or two guys (including the two incubi mentioned above)...maybe...

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

I think SiuiS is was jealous at the fact that you're so lucky to be able to do all those things, and have natural talent at them, to boot. I know I am a little!
    I only mentioned having natural talent at the poledancing.

I have a lithe build, an affinity for moving in circles, a reasonable degree of flexibility, and the muscle mass ratio of a (admittedly scrawny) male. That's enough by itself to boost you past the very early stage.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

20. - Top - End - #80

I only mentioned having natural talent at the poledancing.

I have a lithe build, an affinity for moving in circles, a reasonable degree of flexibility, and the muscle mass ratio of a (admittedly scrawny) male. That's enough by itself to boost you past the very early stage.
    Re-reading what he was replying to, I think some of the jealously (just like mine) might have been aimed at the fact that you have the ability to do pole-dancing as a girl, and have a good chance on people not catching on.

But I'm just guessing. Why don't we wait for SiuiS to wake up, and then she can explain herself?
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

I have no idea what my odds of being caught are, that's what I'm so nervous about. I'm going to attempt to go as a girl, but I have no idea if I'll be read or not - I suspect I probably will, because I'd be very surprised if I pass well enough to withstand more than a casual glance. I just hope it won't be an issue :/
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground

Very big news today. I saw my therapist yesterday, and we've (read: I've) decided it's time to come out to my parents. She going to help me next time. Two weeks to P-Day. Nervousness! >_<
    Wow, good luck!
    That's something I haven't been able to do, ever.
    It'll still take some years for me, though, or perhaps I'll never tell them.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Colossus in the Playground

Re. Pole dancing: Looks like fun to me, and I'd love to see a proper routine of it. I'd be terrible at it, though, of course.

Re. ridiculously long showers: I hope none of you lot having hour-long showers live in Australia

Re. sexuality-from-birth: Well, I can certainly say that my not-gay sexuality is entirely inbuilt. My not-completely-straightness... Well, that's probably a bit trickier. I mean, for all my mother has some (religious) problems with homosexuality, I was never ever lead to believe that any of my immediate family would have had a problem with it if I were gay, yet I'm still pretty definitely at the straight end of the scale. On the other hand, I have received some pretty conflicting messages regarding bisexuality - my mother's attitude of "they just wanna bang a lot"* may have put me off the idea, whereas my sister's bisexuality and sexual history could have drawn me to it. In an environment with a condemnation of homosexuality, I don't think it'd cross my mind to think of myself as anything but 100% straight, and I'd be perfectly happy doing so. In a more forgiving environment, I'm just as happy to wonder and be more flexible with it. And in my earliest consideration of my own sexuality, outside of "not gay" I didn't know what it might be. Also I've had some extremely strong, gorgeous, admirable women in my life that might get me looking in that direction, and if we wanna get a little Freudian^, after my parents split up my father went through an average of one woman every 2 years, so I suppose that could have had an impact on how I view the females of the species.
    So, I suppose, in conclusion of my answer to your question, Golentan: I'd say my attraction to men is biologically innate, but my attraction to women (whatever that might be) may have been influenced by my upbringing and those around me.

*note: this was years ago, she may have changed her mind since then.
    ^Not THAT way, pervs. He did more than Oedipus, y'know.
    *snigger* "did Oedipus"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Is that even allowed by ethics and stuff? I feel like it would be unethical.
    Any medical research must be for the benefit of the group studies. When examining a 'vulnerable population' (and trans people are arguably a vulnerable population), this becomes much more important. Such a study would have to be done in close cooperation with the trans community and great care would have to be taken to ensure no harm was done.

I still think a case could be made that studying gender dysphoria and how to treat it would be worth the trouble. For instance, the study could be used to lobby for a more aggressive treatment of gender dysphoria and abolishing some of the hoops transgender people. Remember, we perform double-blind studies on cancer patients and AIDS patients. So I think it could be ethically justified if done right.

― Tim Fargo

25. - Top - End - #85

I have no idea what my odds of being caught are, that's what I'm so nervous about. I'm going to attempt to go as a girl, but I have no idea if I'll be read or not - I suspect I probably will, because I'd be very surprised if I pass well enough to withstand more than a casual glance. I just hope it won't be an issue :/
    Oh. Well, that one person you mentioned outright asked you if you were a lady on a day you were going for more androgynous, so I would say you've got a much better shot at it than someone like me! Yeah, the outfits might be a bit more, uh, revealing, but I know you can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by gunnar11 View Post
    Wow, good luck!
    That's something I haven't been able to do, ever.
    It'll still take some years for me, though, or perhaps I'll never tell them.
    Uh, yeah, hopefully it goes well. I'm doing it in a four-step process:
    1. Write a "coming out" letter to read to them at the therapist's office;
    2. Tell them that there's something really important that they need to come with me to in a couple of weeks;
    3a. Endure my mom bugging me to know what it's all about for two weeks;
    3b. Make extra sure all of my incriminating evidence is well hid, as she'll become extra snoopy during that time frame;
    4. Get them up to the therapist's office and actually do it.

Step 1, and possibly 2, are going to be easy. The others? Not so much. I will, of course, let you guys know how it goes. If, after that time, you don't hear from me again, well, that means something bad happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    *note: this was years ago, she may have changed her mind since then.
    ^Not THAT way, pervs. He did more than Oedipus, y'know.
    *snigger* "did Oedipus"
    *snicker*

EDIT: Asta, just because I've always wondered - double-blind means that the subject doesn't know both what the test is really about, or that they've been given the placebo, right?
    Last edited by Absol197; 2012-09-27 at 09:22 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Asta, just because I've always wondered - double-blind means that the subject doesn't know both what the test is really about, or that they've been given the placebo, right?
    Blind means the patient doesn't know if he's given active treatment or placebo. Double-blind means that the experimenter doesn't know either. You label all the pillbox (momentary brainfart, I know that's not the real word) and a computer does the randomization. Triple blind means the statisticians don't know either. Quadruble blind studies haven't been performed yet, but just wait...

Oh, and all my support to Helio and Absol.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-09-27 at 09:39 AM.

― Tim Fargo

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Bah, thats all impure. The only true study is an Infinity-Blind study! Even the scientist doesn't know that its a test.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2012-09-27 at 09:50 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #88

Any medical research must be for the benefit of the group studies. When examining a 'vulnerable population' (and trans people are arguably a vulnerable population), this becomes much more important. Such a study would have to be done in close cooperation with the trans community and great care would have to be taken to ensure no harm was done.

I still think a case could be made that studying gender dysphoria and how to treat it would be worth the trouble. For instance, the study could be used to lobby for a more aggressive treatment of gender dysphoria and abolishing some of the hoops transgender people. Remember, we perform double-blind studies on cancer patients and AIDS patients. So I think it could be ethically justified if done right.
    Hmm, so as long as the patients realise they may be receiving placebo, and are okay with that FOR SCIENCE!, it's okay.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-09-27 at 11:31 AM.
    Jude P.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

*crossing all my fingers*

-----

Re: Sexuality; I honestly have no idea where mine comes from and I haven't figured it out fully yet anyway. The earliest hint I had I guess was never really getting gay jokes and what supposedly so horrible about being attracted to boys. (Though considering I'm not a boy it gets a bit messy I guess? ) But in the end I'm not really bothered by not getting it; it's not really relevant to who I am and I think someone's sexuality is just as valid anyway, regardless of the origins.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Blind means the patient doesn't know if he's given active treatment or placebo. Double-blind means that the experimenter doesn't know either. You label all the pillbox (momentary brainfart, I know that's not the real word) and a computer does the randomization. Triple blind means the statisticians don't know either. Quadruble blind studies haven't been performed yet, but just wait...
    or haven't they? *dun Dun DUUUUHHHHN!*

Oh, and all my support to Helio and Absol.
    Adding mine, and here, have a few hugs to go with them...

On sexuality. On the risk of sounding completely stupid, i think it's about 4 parts innate and 1 part nurture. And above all mostly unexplainable at that while we haven't even got an inkling on the inner workings of the brain. We are afterall still in the what's this black box and what does it do and more importaintly how does this work stage. At the moment the jury is still out on this one
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin