New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Zevox - With the right spec the Human Sentinel can out perform the Asari Adept damage wise (if not in cool down) while being slightly bulkier due to damage resistance. Other than that... Eh.
    I know, because Tech Armor has an upgrade that boosts power damage, and they can get the same power damage boosts in all other areas. But again, that's not really what I'm looking for.

Guess I may have to play around with it myself then, if nobody else has given anything odd a try with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well, its primary strength (aside from its weight/'coolness factor') is its accuracy, so I'm also looking at the increased headshot multiplier. And with a max AR piercing mod (which I have) I think I can cut down the armor DR quite a bit. (80%? I think?)
    SiuiS said 65% for everything but the SMG mod - presumably he means the rank 5 versions of the mods. Still, with 35% of the armor still applying even then and that damage boost being as small as it is, I kind of doubt it'll make a difference.

As for the headshots, that's going to depend on the person I guess. I don't bother going for those myself.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

And yet, I find the Asari much more survivable - Stasis has prevented much more damage to my Adept than tech armor ever would.
    Like I said... eh.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #783
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I know, because Tech Armor has an upgrade that boosts power damage, and they can get the same power damage boosts in all other areas. But again, that's not really what I'm looking for.
    Thing is, combos don't benefit from damage upgrades (except for the ones that specifically affect detonations) and as that's the lion's share of the damage, the boost from the armor is negligible by comparison.

SiuiS said 65% for everything but the SMG mod - presumably he means the rank 5 versions of the mods. Still, with 35% of the armor still applying even then and that damage boost being as small as it is, I kind of doubt it'll make a difference.

As for the headshots, that's going to depend on the person I guess. I don't bother going for those myself.

Zevox
    Normally I don't either, but if I'm going to be hosing down one pixel on my target with AR-spray, I may as well angle the barrel such that the one pixel is part of their cranium.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Normally I don't either, but if I'm going to be hosing down one pixel on my target with AR-spray, I may as well angle the barrel such that the one pixel is part of their cranium.
    I'd be too worried that trying to do that would cause me to miss. I'm already not very good at tracking enemy movements with my shots to begin with, so trying to hit a moving target that small is more likely to backfire on me than not.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

Idea for slightly different Human Sentinel build:

Tech Armour 6 (Damage Reduction, Power Damage, Damage Reduction)
    Warp 6 (Detonate, Expose, Pierce)
    Throw 0
    Alliance Training 6 (Weapon Damage or Damage & Capacity, Headshots, Weapon Damage)
    Fitness 6 (Durability, Shield Recharge, Fitness Expert)

Slap on your light but potent shotgun of choice (I'd suggest the Piranha or a high-level Wraith). Use the combination of durability and human agility to close in on targets, throwing Warp on your targets to take them down quicker.

Not sure exactly how good it'd work in practice, but it's a human sentinel that plays very differently from the asari adept.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is there an up to date list of the weapons stats available? I know there was a spreadsheet that's been posted a few times, but it doesn't look like it's been updated in a while.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Throw 0
    Alliance Training 6 (Weapon Damage or Damage & Capacity, Headshots, Weapon Damage)

Slap on your light but potent shotgun of choice (I'd suggest the Piranha or a high-level Wraith). Use the combination of durability and human agility to close in on targets, throwing Warp on your targets to take them down quicker.

Not sure exactly how good it'd work in practice, but it's a human sentinel that plays very differently from the asari adept.
    Toss incendiary ammo on this if you don't mind being absurdly overpowered.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

8. - Top - End - #788
    Banned

Concerning the Fury:
    This is a playstyle difference; I never melee with my Fury, and have no trouble topping the charts in Gold.
    You misunderstand. I was pointing out that you were basing your objective evaluation of a build's effectiveness based off of your playstyle. My point was that assuming you were going to be a fury with a shotgun (which was the premise) the heavy hitting weapon build was superior to being a distance fury who has a bad choice of gun. If you are A) a fury, who B) packs a shotgun which C) requires getting in close, then you are better off doing 1200 damage per light melee attack, while encasing your enemies in biotic fire, than you are basically being a slower Standard N7 Fury Model.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Wait, challenge Banner? Do we get commendation packs for beating the challenges?
    It's not an N7 weekend challenge. It's a fun "it's a holiday, let's have fun with it" thing. Otherwise 7,500 points would be waaay too low.

That's not really what I was looking for; I meant more different in terms of play style. The Asari Adept and Human Sentinel both have Warp -> Throw as their obvious go-to damage dealer, and that makes them too similar for me - I'll just use the Asari when I want to do that. I was hoping somebody might have tried something more out-there with the Sentinel and found some success with it, something that would differ from the obvious Warp -> Throw oriented tactic.
    Try using different foci. Add damage an force instead of radius to the throw. Or get full defense on tech armor and use warp for armor weakening. The problem is any other good build is Gun-Heavy, and you don't like playing that way.

Rank 6 of warp grants 25% armor weakening by the way, compared to cryoblast's 10+15.

Hm, interesting, though I'd be quite hesitant to go without the flamethrower. Still, I do have three respec cards now (thank you, Veteran packs), so I could try that, especially if I decide to change to a build with 0 or 3 in Hunter Mode.
    The flamethrower does not do extra armor damage (that's a quarian thing) and does the same or less as the single shot. The geth turret is the strongest turret/drone in the game, an has homing shots which hit for gads of damage and that can set of bursts. Setting it near you lets it direct you to nearby enemies, cover you in case of fire out of nowhere, and is basically a more functional version of the Hawk missile launcher. You don't lose much, and you become a better medic - throw the turret on their body to distract executioners, damage nearby foes and proved an instant full charge to their shields.

Yes, I know they did away with the damage multipliers of ME2 there. But the Geth Plasma SMG is quite noticeably good at stripping shields quickly, while meanwhile suffering immensely against armor, so I nonetheless think of it as an anti-shield weapon.
    The eagle is just as good, though, and the high velocity barrel on the geth plasma SMG makes it one of the better anti armor weapons.

[quote]
    The Disciple is weaker than the Eviscerator, so I'd just be surrendering firepower if I went with that now that my Eviscerator gives 200% cooldown.[/auote]

Shotgun omniblade is a heavy mod. The eviscerate with an omniblade would be 160%, the disciple is usually 180%+. On a shadow with no points in passive, the disciple with omniblade hits 160%.

Batarian Brawler, eh? Really not sure what I'll do with that one if I get it. Lash seems so out-of-place on a Vanguard that I'd normally ignore it in favor of other powers, but if I were to do that, I'd just end up with an inferior version of my Krogan Vanguard build.
    The batarian is superior to the Krogan in terms of pure damage by a full 1/4th. Blade armor inflicts two and a half-times that creature's damage. Enforcement gauntlet also gives you DR equal to a fully buffed Krogan. Plus you can actually see where you are going and your gun has more extra ammo.

I don't know, that damage buff seems awfully small. I mean, I know it has a great rate-of-fire, but still, considering what SiuiS outlined about the specific mechanics of armor above, it's certainly not going to be the least bit more useful against armored foes.

Zevox
    It's deceptive. The geth pulse rifle fires fast and accurate, and it ends up with power roughly equal to the geth plasma SMG. Now, it's actually better, since the pinpoint accuracy obviates the trouble with headshots.

Well, its primary strength (aside from its weight/'coolness factor') is its accuracy, so I'm also looking at the increased headshot multiplier. And with a max AR piercing mod (which I have) I think I can cut down the armor DR quite a bit. (80%? I think?)
    Unless you mean the new high velocity barrel, it caps at 65%, which is still sufficient on gold to reduce the gun to minimum damage. Unless you're also packing armor piercing ammo, or have a sufficient boost from expendables and passive, you're better off with the barrel extension.

And yet, I find the Asari much more survivable - Stasis has prevented much more damage to my Adept than tech armor ever would.
    Toupe fallacy. Of course the things you obviously see stop mid-motion have a more memorable impact than all the times you didn't die because you took less damage. Plus stasis is only useful against two enemies which cause problems. Techs rumor helps against all of them. The armor also specifically gives you more out of expendables; a cyclonic mod 3 and my standard gear gives me a full 170% more shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Blinky View Post
    Is there an up to date list of the weapons stats available? I know there was a spreadsheet that's been posted a few times, but it doesn't look like it's been updated in a while.
    There is a site for building characters, I'll try to find it. It seems up to date via info digging, so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Toss incendiary ammo on this if you don't mind being absurdly overpowered.
    if I mixed bein absurdly overpowered, I would stand alone against the reaper menace.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Throw 0

I may try something like that, thanks. Don't know if I have any light-weight shotguns worth using besides the Eviscerator, though. My Wraith is only rank 1.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The eagle is just as good, though, and the high velocity barrel on the geth plasma SMG makes it one of the better anti armor weapons.
    I don't have the high velocity barrel, though. And my Eagle is only rank 1, compared to my Geth Plasma SMG 8.

The Eagle must've been buffed since I tried it way back when if it's as good as the Geth Plasma SMG now, though. It seemed pretty bad back then, more comparable to the Predator, at best.

Shotgun omniblade is a heavy mod. The eviscerate with an omniblade would be 160%, the disciple is usually 180%+. On a shadow with no points in passive, the disciple with omniblade hits 160%.
    Ah, the omniblade is one of those new mods I don't have then. I thought you were referring to the regular melee-damage shotgun mod.

Don't think I'd use a weight-increasing mod when I can use a lighter-weight version of the same thing, though.

The batarian is superior to the Krogan in terms of pure damage by a full 1/4th.
    If you mean in terms of melee damage, I'd far rather take "just" Krogan damage to that considering how long the startup on the Batarian's is - half of the time when I try to use that with my Sentinel, my allies kill the thing I'm targeting before it goes off. If you mean something else, I am confused.

Enforcement gauntlet also gives you DR equal to a fully buffed Krogan.
    What's "Enforcement Gauntlet?"

Plus you can actually see where you are going and your gun has more extra ammo.
    I can see where I'm going fine with the Krogan, and have no need of extra ammo. Certainly not compared to extra shields.

Anyway, after a couple of games with my Geth where I deliberately avoided using Hunter Mode, I did respec to 6/3/6/5/6, and went damage & shields/damage/healing frequency on the turret. And I saw an immediate improvement in my performance with the class. The healing frequency on the turret is huge, the turret is still powerful enough to give me solid support and kill weaker enemies on its own, and just having all those extra shields from both not using Hunter Mode and maxing out fitness is a great boon. And I still have Hunter Mode for dealing with smoke and cloaking - or heck, even just checking for enemies behind a wall occasionally, given how short its cooldown is. Very worth it.

Zevox

10. - Top - End - #790

Unless you mean the new high velocity barrel, it caps at 65%, which is still sufficient on gold to reduce the gun to minimum damage. Unless you're also packing armor piercing ammo, or have a sufficient boost from expendables and passive, you're better off with the barrel extension.
    I actually use both, all the time. The stability mod is pointless (the GPR is near-perfect accuracy) as is the scope.

Toupe fallacy. Of course the things you obviously see stop mid-motion have a more memorable impact than all the times you didn't die because you took lesss damage. Plus stasis is only useful against two enemies which cause problems. Techs rumor helps against all of them. The armor also specifically gives you more out of expendables; a cyclonic mod 3 and my standard gear gives me a full 170% more shields.
    Phantoms, Marauders, Hunters, and Collector Captains all cause problems, at least for me. Even Nemeses can be slippery without a quick bubble. Anything else is either weak enough for Throw to handle, or dangerous enough that I stay far away and my durability doesn't matter anyway.

As for cyclonic mods, I save them for my hulk classes, namely Krogans and Batarians.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

I actually use both, all the time. The stability mod is pointless (the GPR is near-perfect accuracy) as is the scope.
    That's pretty much my default mod choices on everything, too. Other mods see use only in particular circumstances where they're especially useful or desirable - melee damage mods on Krogan and Ex-Cerberus Vanguards, ultra-light materials on my Carnifex since it's only at 3, and the ammo mod on my Particle Rifle for longer charged-beam firing. And that "sometimes doesn't use ammo" mod for SMGs, because I don't have the armor-piercing one or ULM for those, so I've got nothing better to use there.

On another note, has anyone else tried the new Medi-Gel Transmitter gear? (Makes medi-gel that you use revive allies within a certain distance of you as well.) I got a rank of it a few days back, and have been using it on my Volus. It doesn't come into play often, but it's very nice when it does. I once revived 3/4 of a team struggling with an escort mission on Firebase Rio thanks to that - followed of course by Shield Boost to get us all in good shape immediately. Potent combination that.

Zevox

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

Batarian heavy melee.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

13. - Top - End - #793
    Banned

The Eagle must've been buffed since I tried it way back when if it's as good as the Geth Plasma SMG now, though. It seemed pretty bad back then, more comparable to the Predator, at best.
    It has been buffed three times, actually. It now sits somewhere between the Phaeston and Revenant for best assault rifle. Yes, I know it is a pistol. It's attributes fit neatly into the assault rifle range however, given accuracy, damage, rate of fire and weight.

Ah, the omniblade is one of those new mods I don't have then. I thought you were referring to the regular melee-damage shotgun mod.
    No, that is the bayonet. I try to be specific nowadays due to all the redundant stuff.

[quote]Don't think I'd use a weight-increasing mod when I can use a lighter-weight version of the same thing, though.[quote]

Depends, really. On the shadow, fury, slayer, krogan, vorcha and batarian, half again as much damage is sufficiently huge to be worthwhile. And if your choices for an almost strictly melle & power build is +25% melee, full rechage versus +0% melee, full recharge, its not even really a choice. The damage output on a melee build is sufficient that I use my disciple solely to communicate ammo effects; A few rounds of incindiary or disruptor shot before a charge does wonders.

If you want to use your gun, then yes. The disciple is less potent than the eviscerator. However, as you are frequently fond of saying, you don't like shooting. Some peole like pure powers, other pure guns, etc. For pure melee, AT12 raider with omniblade. For melee and power support, disciple with omniblade.

If you mean in terms of melee damage, I'd far rather take "just" Krogan damage to that considering how long the startup on the Batarian's is - half of the time when I try to use that with my Sentinel, my allies kill the thing I'm targeting before it goes off. If you mean something else, I am confused.
    Yes, melee damage. Your complaint has more to do with bad teammates than with any function of the build, though. The windup is not too long, only about as long as electric slash. When I'm fighting a brute with 4 health bars, nowhere to run, and pinned down under six or so cannibals and marauders, I'd rather kill the brute in one heavy shot, than risk having to follow up with more attacks. Anecdotal evidence suggests brutes are more likely to sync kill the more you melee them.

Enforcement guantlet, Krogan charge, Heavy Burst(?), Omnishield, and double omniblades are the specific heavy melee attacks I can remember off the top of my head. While performing the batarian's heavy melee attack, you gain stagger resistance (or perhaps you already have it, unsure) and suffer only half damage from an attack. This means that beginning the melee sequence even without a target is a viable safety measure. Prevents ravagers from killing you and all.

Anyway, after a couple of games with my Geth where I deliberately avoided using Hunter Mode, I did respec to 6/3/6/5/6, and went damage & shields/damage/healing frequency on the turret. And I saw an immediate improvement in my performance with the class. The healing frequency on the turret is huge, the turret is still powerful enough to give me solid support and kill weaker enemies on its own, and just having all those extra shields from both not using Hunter Mode and maxing out fitness is a great boon. And I still have Hunter Mode for dealing with smoke and cloaking - or heck, even just checking for enemies behind a wall occasionally, given how short its cooldown is. Very worth it.

Zevox
    Glad it worked out

GOod point. I was thinking about the AP barrel, and forgot you can combine the AP mod with the extended barrel for a minute. I usually grab the thermal capacity over the extended barrel, but that's preference. I've recently stopped caring about clip size on automatics.

As for cyclonic mods, I save them for my hulk classes, namely Krogans and Batarians.
    I save them for when I can't risk going down. They're a staple on platinum, even for such things as the shadow or geth infiltrator. Shield power cells being a close second - shield count doesn/t matter if you never get them bak.

That's pretty much my default mod choices on everything, too. Other mods see use only in particular circumstances where they're especially useful or desirable - melee damage mods on Krogan and Ex-Cerberus Vanguards, ultra-light materials on my Carnifex since it's only at 3, and the ammo mod on my Particle Rifle for longer charged-beam firing. And that "sometimes doesn't use ammo" mod for SMGs, because I don't have the armor-piercing one or ULM for those, so I've got nothing better to use there.
    I like ammo Boosts on weaker automatics, because with the rate of fire of, say, the geth SMG or the geth pulse rifle, gettting 80% more lead down range is more efficient than doing 25% more with each slug. And the heat sink on SMGs is actually better than the straight ammo boost thermal clip capacity mod.

On another note, has anyone else tried the new Medi-Gel Transmitter gear? (Makes medi-gel that you use revive allies within a certain distance of you as well.) I got a rank of it a few days back, and have been using it on my Volus. It doesn't come into play often, but it's very nice when it does. I once revived 3/4 of a team struggling with an escort mission on Firebase Rio thanks to that - followed of course by Shield Boost to get us all in good shape immediately. Potent combination that.

Zevox
    Love it, for the same reason. Great for those moments when everyone tries to get everyone else up, y'know? Good on platinum, sometimes gold. The max rank apparently gives you 30 meters, making a hard sell for best gear.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

I may try something like that, thanks. Don't know if I have any light-weight shotguns worth using besides the Eviscerator, though. My Wraith is only rank 1.
    Heck, the shotgun in question doesn't even need to be that light, since you aren't completely dependent on powers for damage. Just keep your cooldown relatively high, and it should be just fine.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Barbarian in the Playground

Soloed Ghost with my Shadow last night on Bronze just to get a good feel for her and I have to say that I really like the class.

Once I figured out the proper balance between cloak-and-hide and aggressiveness I was able to use her pretty effectively against the Reapers for the Halloween challenge. Almost completed the Zombie and Monster hunter challenges from that single playthrough.

With Shadow Strike at about a 1 second cool down, she was really nasty against heavies. Shadow Strike followed by an immediate dodge let me avoid most counter attacks and any instant kills, which was great since it was a solo run.

I really wasn't certain how much I would like her, since it's the first time I've ever built a Shadow and I took a guess with the power selections (6/6/6/0/6) It seems to work out pretty well.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

I still can't get a proper handle on the Volus Adept. This time I managed to stay alive, but I didn't seem to do much. And we were wiped on wave 7 against Collectors on Silver.
    Respecializing the Krogan Soldier to give him Carnage worked well, though. I got it on level 4 by sacrificing the 6th levels of both passives. My tactics remain largely the same, only now I have Carnage to detonate fire explosions and hit targets at long range or around corners. And the targets seem to still take the DoT from the Inferno Grenade aftrer I do it, surprisingly.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-01 at 08:35 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

It has been buffed three times, actually. It now sits somewhere between the Phaeston and Revenant for best assault rifle. Yes, I know it is a pistol. It's attributes fit neatly into the assault rifle range however, given accuracy, damage, rate of fire and weight.
    Wow. A pity it can only rank up from those weekend events, then. A pistol with those kinds of stats would be nice to have, if I could get it to a decent rank.

If you want to use your gun, then yes. The disciple is less potent than the eviscerator. However, as you are frequently fond of saying, you don't like shooting. Some peole like pure powers, other pure guns, etc. For pure melee, AT12 raider with omniblade. For melee and power support, disciple with omniblade.
    Just because I don't like relying on guns and won't use ones that inhibit power use doesn't mean I don't use them at all (though that can be the case with my Adepts sometimes, granted). On Vanguards in particular I'm very much an ME2-style player - getting into prime shotgunning range is part of the advantage of Charge (and eliminates one of the reasons I don't like doing so much with guns: my poor aim, which is rendered moot at those ranges against most enemy types when using a shotgun or fully automatic AR/SMG). Pretty much all my Vanguards tend to cycle Charge, shotgun shooting, melee, and sometimes another power (Nova a lot on the Human, Smash and Biotic Slash when appropriate on the Ex-Cerberus and Slayer). My Krogan in particular embodies that style, since I ignored Carnage, leaving him with no active power to use besides Charge itself.

Yes, melee damage. Your complaint has more to do with bad teammates than with any function of the build, though. The windup is not too long, only about as long as electric slash.
    The part about my allies was just an example to show how long that wind-up is. I would definitely say it's longer than electric slash's (assuming that is, as it appears to be, the same as for biotic slash), and electric/biotic slash's don't matter as much since you can fire them through walls and take out entire enemy groups with them. On a single-target heavy melee, the kind of wind-up the Batarian has is something I really don't like.

Enforcement guantlet, Krogan charge, Heavy Burst(?), Omnishield, and double omniblades are the specific heavy melee attacks I can remember off the top of my head.
    Those have official names? Really? Where'd you find that out? I've never seen anything to that effect in the game.

While performing the batarian's heavy melee attack, you gain stagger resistance (or perhaps you already have it, unsure) and suffer only half damage from an attack. This means that beginning the melee sequence even without a target is a viable safety measure. Prevents ravagers from killing you and all.
    Stagger resistance I'm pretty certain they already have. Doesn't seem to be to the same degree as the Krogan (though it's awfully hard to measure that), but I've noticed it on my Sentinel.

I had no idea that their heavy melee gave you damage reduction while active, however. That's good information to have, thank you.

Love it, for the same reason. Great for those moments when everyone tries to get everyone else up, y'know? Good on platinum, sometimes gold. The max rank apparently gives you 30 meters, making a hard sell for best gear.
    30 meters?! Holy crap, that's longer than the range that a reach-upgraded shockwave travels. Yeah, that's quite the argument for it being the best gear indeed. To the point where I suspect it may well be getting nerfed down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I still can't get a proper handle on the Volus Adept. This time I managed to stay alive, but I didn't seem to do much. And we were wiped on wave 7 against Collectors on Silver.
    Yeah, the Volus Adept seems like a hard one to use. Biotic Orbs are just a weird power by any standard, and his other powers are purely support-type in nature.

About the best plan I've come up for him is to do my usual in Stasis and Shield Boost, and go radius/recharge speed/expose on the Orbs. Main idea being to get quick successions of stasis/orb combos going against unarmored enemies as a crowd control tactic, and use the expose part to weaken armored ones for my allies. Meanwhile the recharge speed boost from the orbs could also allow for rapid Shield Boosting if need be.

That's all theory-fighting though, since I only have the Engineer, not the Adept.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-11-01 at 04:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #798

DruidGuy

Got the Haloween challenge done.

For something different I took out the QMI and levlled him up on some bronze and silver runs, using the Valiant.

I'm still not a great infiltrator or sniper. I have trouble getting headshots and miss so much. At least the Valiant has a 3 round clip to help. On the other hand the QMI is fun, with scan and arc grenades to back up the cloak. Might try him on gold when I level him up further than 15.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Troll in the Playground

Stagger resistance I'm pretty certain they already have. Doesn't seem to be to the same degree as the Krogan (though it's awfully hard to measure that), but I've noticed it on my Sentinel.
    I believe they both have Stagger resistance by default, but Krogan get outright immunity to it from hits to the front during their charge.

On the flip side, Batarians get a 50% damage resistance boost when using their gauntlet.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

20. - Top - End - #800
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Got the Haloween challenge done.
    Did you get your Commendation pack straight away? I did the challenge and haven't been rewarded yet. I wouldnt have given it two thoughts, apart from the fact that the last event gave it out immediately....

In other news: Operation JACKHAMMER is occurring at the same time as the Halloween Challenge.

Event Description: Data collected by our combat drones has identified key enemy strongholds. Over the next few days, we go on the offensive as small biotic strike teams hit a number of strategically significant targets.

Individual Goal: Earn 75,000 points using biotic charge on any map at any difficulty. Points are cumulative across matches. Extraction not required.

Reward: Commendation Pack
    Sounds tricky, but doable. Time to break out my Krogan, I think
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-11-01 at 07:44 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

21. - Top - End - #801

DruidGuy

There is no commendation pack for the Halloween challenge, just a banner title.

22. - Top - End - #802

Griffon

That would be why, then. Thanks.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Operation JACKHAMMER hasn't appeared on my challenges pane yet. When is that set to pop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Operation JACKHAMMER hasn't appeared on my challenges pane yet. When is that set to pop?
    November 2nd, 10:00am PDT.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Soloed Ghost with my Shadow last night on Bronze just to get a good feel for her and I have to say that I really like the class.

Once I figured out the proper balance between cloak-and-hide and aggressiveness I was able to use her pretty effectively against the Reapers for the Halloween challenge. Almost completed the Zombie and Monster hunter challenges from that single playthrough.

With Shadow Strike at about a 1 second cool down, she was really nasty against heavies. Shadow Strike followed by an immediate dodge let me avoid most counter attacks and any instant kills, which was great since it was a solo run.

I really wasn't certain how much I would like her, since it's the first time I've ever built a Shadow and I took a guess with the power selections (6/6/6/0/6) It seems to work out pretty well.
    On higher difficulties, enemies will take to setting up a sync kill when you are out of range. Vanguards get pulled out of biotic charge, I've personally watched a legionaire do the jump for his heavy melee and land on the banhsee's claw, an have been pulled around a brute I shadow struck into it's claw for an instakill. Cloaking out of sight helps, immensely, but sometimes you will get slappe with a unfair death.

Your spec is what I'm using, personally. I think I sacrificed electric slash 6 for three ranks of n7 training to carry a heavier gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Respecializing the Krogan Soldier to give him Carnage worked well, though. I got it on level 4 by sacrificing the 6th levels of both passives. My tactics remain largely the same, only now I have Carnage to detonate fire explosions and hit targets at long range or around corners. And the targets seem to still take the DoT from the Inferno Grenade aftrer I do it, surprisingly.
    I usually build mine as below, but I tried something else to see how viable he is for solo play. Stasis bubble (more damage, not duration), shield boost for duration and recharge, biotic orbs for recharge speed, and volus training for (eventually) carrying capacity and weapon damage. I took the AT12 raider out for a spin, and spent it using stasis and shield boost as a shotgun infiltrator. it worked really well until Dragoons showed up, and I panicked. Not actual panic but I got darn sloppy, and couldn't seem to cloak, heal and reload in fast enough order to make it out of there.

I tried it with sniper rifles first, but the only one sufficiently light an powerful enough was the valiant. Did really good with backup, sucks solo.

Wow. A pity it can only rank up from those weekend events, then. A pistol with those kinds of stats would be nice to have, if I could get it to a decent rank.
    Yeah mine is rank 8.

Just because I don't like relying on guns and won't use ones that inhibit power use doesn't mean I don't use them at all (though that can be the case with my Adepts sometimes, granted).
    I do reca you saying several things, such as this, and also you don't like usin non casters. I extrapolated that into no guns, not ever, no not even then.

Incidentally, I feel vindicated about a past argument seeing as the game itself repeatedly refers to the Phoenix vanguard and Phoenix adept.

The part about my allies was just an example to show how long that wind-up is. I would definitely say it's longer than electric slash's (assuming that is, as it appears to be, the same as for biotic slash), and electric/biotic slash's don't matter as much since you can fire them through walls and take out entire enemy groups with them. On a single-target heavy melee, the kind of wind-up the Batarian has is something I really don't like.
    Okay. I make use of sophisticated tracking on melee; I start the windup as far away as possible, an travel several meters while delivering the blow. Makes it easier. If you're just going to swing, yes, it's terrible.

Those have official names? Really? Where'd you find that out? I've never seen anything to that effect in the game.
    Yes, and all in the same spot, the description that was dropped with rebellion back when. You pointed out dual omniblades as a thing for the Turians yourself. Cerberus lash, enforcement gauntlet, there are a few others.

I had no idea that their heavy melee gave you damage reduction while active, however. That's good information to have, thank you.
    It's weird, and much easier to see if you are looking for it.

30 meters?! Holy crap, that's longer than the range that a reach-upgraded shockwave travels. Yeah, that's quite the argument for it being the best gear indeed. To the point where I suspect it may well be getting nerfed down the line.
    Anecdotal thus far. The wiki lists 10/15/??/??/??, but I have a friend who definitely has rank three at 20, and a guy who didn't use it but claimed to have rank five and it gave 30 meters. It's pretty slick. I've stopped buying packs though because all I get is gosh-darned rare ammo. You haven't had suck until you drop almost a hundred thousand credits on nothing but ammo.

Yeah, the Volus Adept seems like a hard one to use. Biotic Orbs are just a weird power by any standard, and his other powers are purely support-type in nature.

About the best plan I've come up for him is to do my usual in Stasis and Shield Boost, and go radius/recharge speed/expose on the Orbs. Main idea being to get quick successions of stasis/orb combos going against unarmored enemies as a crowd control tactic, and use the expose part to weaken armored ones for my allies. Meanwhile the recharge speed boost from the orbs could also allow for rapid Shield Boosting if need be.

That's all theory-fighting though, since I only have the Engineer, not the Adept.

Zevox
    That's what I used. Selective use of de-buffing to break apart heavies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    In other news: Operation JACKHAMMER is occurring at the same time as the Halloween Challenge.

Sounds tricky? Dude, I got 89,000 points on wave three on silver.adding biotic charge makes that easier.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

Well, today has been remarkably productive for me as far as my uncommon weapons go. Spam-buying Veteran packs has now gotten all but two of my uncommon weapons to rank 10 - those two being my Incisor, which needs two more ranks, and my Phalanx, which needs four more. Since I do want the latter available, I'll keep at this, and hopefully finish up tomorrow.

Something that surprised me doing this - apparently, it is no longer the case that the guaranteed uncommon slot in Veteran packs cannot drop uncommon gear. I've picked up several of those recently, most in my biotic damage gear, which I'm sure as heck not complaining about . Gear does seem less likely to drop than weapons or expendables though, so I don't know if spam-buying Veteran packs will be worthwhile for getting uncommon gear even once all your uncommon weapons are maxed out. Haven't seen any uncommon weapon mods yet however, so they may still not drop in Veteran packs' guaranteed slot. Which is a pity, since I still don't have even the first rank of SMG ULM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

Tricky? It says it's cumulative across matches. The only "trick" is that it has to all be done on one map. Just play as Vanguards on the map of your choice for a while and you'll get it easy.

Okay. I make use of sophisticated tracking on melee; I start the windup as far away as possible, an travel several meters while delivering the blow. Makes it easier. If you're just going to swing, yes, it's terrible.
    I've found trying to use that unreliable, I'm afraid - it's hard to tell at what range it kicks in. I've had some deaths as my Slayer in particular simply because the tracking of his heavy melee failed to kick in properly sometimes, and he instead teleported somewhere I did not want him to be. On other classes it mostly just results in wasted time, but with the Batarian's windup time, that can be an issue.

Yes, and all in the same spot, the description that was dropped with rebellion back when.
    Huh. I do not remember that at all, honestly.

I've stopped buying packs though because all I get is gosh-darned rare ammo. You haven't had suck until you drop almost a hundred thousand credits on nothing but ammo.
    Ouch . I hate just getting those occasionally as I do. All the time wold drive me mad.

That's what I used. Selective use of de-buffing to break apart heavies.
    Well, good to know someone has tried it and had success with it, since it was pretty much my only idea of how to use that class.

Zevox

27. - Top - End - #807

Griffon

Sounds tricky? Dude, I got 89,000 points on wave three on silver.adding biotic charge makes that easier.
    "Tricky" in the sense that it's ONLY the points from Biotic Charge that count, and 90% of the points I get as a Vanguard come from the other skills, either Nova or Biotic Slash, simply because they do more damage over a bigger area.

I didn't say that it was HARD or anything. But, if I want it finished quickly, I'm going to have to break muscle-reflex and use it a lot more than normal without as many follow-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963
    I have the Mass Effect/Bioware page linked on Facebook, if that helps. I always get the announcements earlier than most people, it seems.

28. - Top - End - #808

Ouch . I hate just getting those occasionally as I do. All the time wold drive me mad.
    Zevox
    That's a good sign though. IIRC, the rare ammo has lower drop rates than other rares, while the first character card of a new class is slightly higher. So if you're getting ammo all the time, it should mean you've maxed out most of your guns and unlocked the entire roster. Not a bad position to be in, I'd say.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a good sign though. IIRC, the rare ammo has lower drop rates than other rares, while the first character card of a new class is slightly higher. So if you're getting ammo all the time, it should mean you've maxed out most of your guns and unlocked the entire roster. Not a bad position to be in, I'd say.
    You'd think so, but once you're in this position, the drop rate for Rare mods and Gears seems to shrink dismally. It's one of the reasons I'm so glad for the massive number of new characters in Retaliation. Since the DLC has hit, I've gotten more Rare Gears and mods than I have been for months.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground

Forget rare mods, I'd like to know how to get uncommons. I'm almost matched, with 25 levels of uncommon mods and 22 levels of rare. 12 uncommon mods unlocked vs. 13 rare mods.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.