New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    I will post more thoughtful commentary tomorrow (maybe - reality has been kicking my ass lately), but belated congrats on the 100 days
    I'm really happy to see you again here. Looking forward to it.

Aaalso, happy belated birthday! I'd offer you a picture as has become customary but can understand if you wouldn't want one drawn by me.

Day 103

Talked a little with Soft Serve in the chat, she changed her mind on the facial expression. Tail will need a little more attention tomorrow.

So tomorrow, this, coloured.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    This one is a bit rough, admittedly.

Spoiler
    Show

I was originally just drawing a highfive, but then I gave Gilda a stop watch.

Does it look like she's trying to trip Dash? That wasn't intended.

New people tomorrow.
    The stopwatch was a good idea methinks. The distance doesn't quite work for a friendly high-five. This would benefit from some shadows under the figures. It'd make Dash look more airborne and partly avoid the trip over effect by indicating her placement relative to the ground and to Gilda.
    (Tangent- saw an interesting clip about how we use shadows to determine objects movement relative to the ground, so there is science! to back up my statement ;p )

Whoops, said I was going to experiment with levels of realism and never really delivered of that. Here's a start, I guess.

Spoiler
    Show

Cartoony(er) version a little bit rough around the edges.
    I really like these Leftmost is great, and the right one the only thing I can say is her legs don't seem quite right (shifted to left of frame, or her left leg is too far over) and the kid's proportions are too far towards adult ones.
    Still, great work

I'd much easier to see the snowflakes if I drew it in colour I guess, so I might.

Spoiler
    Show
    Her mouth is too low, andher upper lip too big for her lower. Try shifting it up in photoshop (or whatever) and see what I mean. It's something I tend to do, so I spot it easily.
    The shading is top work, especially on her scarf and nose - what technique do you use to smooth out the pencilwork?

Spoiler
    Show
    Great sense of movement here. The blond girl's body should flare out a bit more towards her shoulder, around the ribs. It'd mean there wouldn't be a gap on the inside of the brunette's elbow, and a sliver of body visible above the brunette's tricep - but it'd make it look less like the blonde has a second elbow or has dislocated her shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    The alignment of the skull and set of the shoulders indicate a 3/4 view, but the arms and legs are set square on. If the lower body was at an angle to the viewer the skellie's left arm at least should be on a slight diagonal.
    Adding a shadow on the ground, even a basic one, would help with depth as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Do tell me, could you see that she is wearing a jeans jacket before reading this?

The facial expression is off the mark, I was aiming for somewhat more shy and apprehensive. It's the smile. And the backpack is a little too small for comfort.
    Couldn't tell it was denim, no, but texturing fabrics is hard. One thing I can think of is that denim is more stippled or mottled, while her jacket looks smoother with the shading.
    For shyness, having the model's face turned away slightly also helps, and sometimes backpacks are just small...

This one wasn't any good really.

I mentioned having trouble drawing the same person more than one time earlier right? That didn't stop being a thing.

Spoiler
    Show

And I'm really not sure about this design and I might change, well,everything on it. Anything in particular here that strikes you as particularly boneheaded?
    Dude's neck is hella long is what hits me first. His left hand is really good though.

Re: same character twice, she looks to have put on a fair bit of weight between pics. Comaparing where her tee sits around her hips to wrist positioning and proportional hip width her very lanky first appearance has morphed into a rather 'stock' body shape.
    That's just somethign that comes from habit, and the best way to break it is to just keep at it.

Back to faces and/or colours tomorrow, I think this has gone on long enough.

Spoiler
    Show

Do you think this one is an improvement on the predecessor? I'm undecided myself.
    His neck is better, though that could also be that his shoulders are squarer and his collar higher. The movement on his jacket is nice, though his left index finger shouldn't splay out like that - that's basically an impossible move while gripping something without tearing things.
    Good proportions to show him as a teen too.

Another one of these proto-sketches for a more ambitious picture. Will probably be revisited in a couple of weeks, but until then there will just be this, being here and all enigmatic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless she's actively pushing him down (or he's ducking) standing with one's feet that far apart is rather uncomfortable. One of those stand up and try the pose things.
    Though if he is ducking I'd suggest his knees should be closer rather than legs straight out.

Spoiler
    Show
    's nice, though something's bugging me about the figure's perspective/pose. I think it's the legs. If they're visible as they are, the torso should be different - more weight on the right arm to balance I think. Or else the legs shouldn't be as visible.

Anyway, tried to do one thing, failed, tried to do this, much more meh results than intended. It's better than the last picture of a seascape, but that one didn't exactly put the bar very high.

Spoiler
    Show
    Silhouette in the foreground? If so and it is fallign on the water it would be very wobbly. Colours of the water are great, and teh crests of the waves look like crests of waves in the ocean.

So you might not have noticed, but yesterday marked my hundredth day of drawing here. The only fitting way to celebrate is of course to steal Thanqol's ideas, especially as this picture would be at least five times easier to draw for me. My attendance record hasn't been spotless of course. Two updates were delayed, and most of them were delivered way past midnight, so there is room for improvement there too.

I want to thank all of you for your advice and help, in this thread and in any others. I like to think that there has been some improvement during this time, and hopefully you'll agree.

So, day 101.

Spoiler
    Show
    One of the biggest things about this picture is the composition - no Last Supper style arrangement (hey DaVinci, nice flat shot there. Did they run out of perspective at the hack store? ) and it is well balanced and the perspective all seems to fit.

Congrats on the 100, and here's to 100 more!

I'm really happy to see you again here. Looking forward to it.

Aaalso, happy belated birthday! I'd offer you a picture as has become customary but can understand if you wouldn't want one drawn by me.
    As you can see I added a couple of thoughts there I think I melted the multi-quote function, and a few pics seemed to go AWOL there I think.

Thankyou for the well wishes, and of course I would love a picture from you That said, there's no need to rush to get it done as I'm going away for the next two days anyways.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

The stopwatch was a good idea methinks. The distance doesn't quite work for a friendly high-five. This would benefit from some shadows under the figures. It'd make Dash look more airborne and partly avoid the trip over effect by indicating her placement relative to the ground and to Gilda.
    (Tangent- saw an interesting clip about how we use shadows to determine objects movement relative to the ground, so there is science! to back up my statement ;p )
    I'll be sure to ad shadows and at least a few lines where the ground is supposed to go In the future. That clip sounds useful, think you could find it again?

I really like these Leftmost is great, and the right one the only thing I can say is her legs don't seem quite right (shifted to left of frame, or her left leg is too far over) and the kid's proportions are too far towards adult ones.
    Still, great work
    Need to work on bodyshapes in general, thanks for the reminder.

Her mouth is too low, andher upper lip too big for her lower. Try shifting it up in photoshop (or whatever) and see what I mean. It's something I tend to do, so I spot it easily.
    The shading is top work, especially on her scarf and nose - what technique do you use to smooth out the pencilwork?
    I only realized that the mouth was too large, this is great.

Great sense of movement here. The blond girl's body should flare out a bit more towards her shoulder, around the ribs. It'd mean there wouldn't be a gap on the inside of the brunette's elbow, and a sliver of body visible above the brunette's tricep - but it'd make it look less like the blonde has a second elbow or has dislocated her shoulder.
    My thick mind is doing me no favours and I'm not quite following. I'll try to brain this again after a good nights sleep.

The alignment of the skull and set of the shoulders indicate a 3/4 view, but the arms and legs are set square on. If the lower body was at an angle to the viewer the skellie's left arm at least should be on a slight diagonal.
    Adding a shadow on the ground, even a basic one, would help with depth as well.
    Whoops, duly noted.

Couldn't tell it was denim, no, but texturing fabrics is hard. One thing I can think of is that denim is more stippled or mottled, while her jacket looks smoother with the shading.
    For shyness, having the model's face turned away slightly also helps, and sometimes backpacks are just small...
    All of this is good.

Dude's neck is hella long is what hits me first. His left hand is really good though.

Re: same character twice, she looks to have put on a fair bit of weight between pics. Comaparing where her tee sits around her hips to wrist positioning and proportional hip width her very lanky first appearance has morphed into a rather 'stock' body shape.
    That's just somethign that comes from habit, and the best way to break it is to just keep at it.
    I'll be sure to tell you first thing when I get this consistency thing, but you'll have to wait a bit.

His neck is better, though that could also be that his shoulders are squarer and his collar higher. The movement on his jacket is nice, though his left index finger shouldn't splay out like that - that's basically an impossible move while gripping something without tearing things.
    Good proportions to show him as a teen too.
    Thank you. I'll make sure to test the poses I pick more thoroughly in the future.

Unless she's actively pushing him down (or he's ducking) standing with one's feet that far apart is rather uncomfortable. One of those stand up and try the pose things.
    Though if he is ducking I'd suggest his knees should be closer rather than legs straight out.
    What I was aiming for the woman to lay her hands on his shoulders more in an effort to support him rather than the other way around, and him kind of swaying and struggling to stay upright. I'll fiddle around with it when I return.

's nice, though something's bugging me about the figure's perspective/pose. I think it's the legs. If they're visible as they are, the torso should be different - more weight on the right arm to balance I think. Or else the legs shouldn't be as visible.
    I'll look into it.

Silhouette in the foreground? If so and it is fallign on the water it would be very wobbly. Colours of the water are great, and teh crests of the waves look like crests of waves in the ocean.
    Thank you! The silhouette is basically that of the dumbest boat ever, where the main deck is of several octagons along a corridor like length. Don't expend more thought on it than I did.

One of the biggest things about this picture is the composition - no Last Supper style arrangement (hey DaVinci, nice flat shot there. Did they run out of perspective at the hack store? ) and it is well balanced and the perspective all seems to fit.

Congrats on the 100, and here's to 100 more!
    Thank you Zorg.

As you can see I added a couple of thoughts there I think I melted the multi-quote function, and a few pics seemed to go AWOL there I think.

Thankyou for the well wishes, and of course I would love a picture from you That said, there's no need to rush to get it done as I'm going away for the next two days anyways.
    You can make the drawrequest whenever you want, but the picture may get delayed.

Speaking of!

Day 104

A Zerg pony queen and her goofy grin.

Soft Serve wanted the face to be of a lighter tone than the rest of the body but I kind of buggered that up.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-04-29 at 06:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Banned

oddly, the link that you linked is not at all what the actual URL is.
    The link doesn't work, but copying the text and pasting it does.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Well this was embarrassing. I wrote what the link was supposed to be called where the url should go and the url where the link name should go.

Fixed now.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

O Prince! A challenge! Aye, a challenge!

Superheroes week! A week where the two of us draw a daily superhero. Has to include one DC hero, one Marvel hero, one redesign of a hero's costume and one original character. What say you?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-04-29 at 06:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    O Prince! A challenge! Aye, a challenge!

Superheroes week! A week where the two of us draw a daily superhero. Has to include one DC hero, one Marvel hero, one redesign of a hero's costume and one original character. What say you?
    I will never forgive you if you insult my taste in entertainment like this again.

But maybe. And I might hijack the challenge to went some smug superiority on superhero comics as a genre.

8. - Top - End - #188

I will never forgive you if you insult my taste in entertainment like this again.

But maybe. And I might hijack the challenge to went some smug superiority on superhero comics as a genre.
    You don't like superheroes? D=

Who doesn't like superheroes? What's not to like about superheroes? I've never met anyone before who doesn't like superheroes.

Oh well. I guess we got a week to find out!

(I will, naturally, owe you a topic week in return)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Even if you don't like superheroes as a genre, they're a great subject for character design. They have to be relatively simple (to be drawn over and over), distinctive for brand recognition, and also have some sort of clue as to their identity/powers.

Since I'm on my phone I can't get a link, but look up Project Rooftop. It's a blog that hosts superhero redesigns, and the artists often give notes about why they did things the way they did.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

You don't like superheroes? D=

Who doesn't like superheroes? What's not to like about superheroes? I've never met anyone before who doesn't like superheroes.

Oh well. I guess we got a week to find out!

(I will, naturally, owe you a topic week in return)
    I don't have the way with words to satisfyingly explain why here. Maaaybe I'd be more comfortable in someform of chat, I don't know. What do you like about them? But sure, I'm game.

Even if you don't like superheroes as a genre, they're a great subject for character design. They have to be relatively simple (to be drawn over and over), distinctive for brand recognition, and also have some sort of clue as to their identity/powers.

Since I'm on my phone I can't get a link, but look up Project Rooftop. It's a blog that hosts superhero redesigns, and the artists often give notes about why they did things the way they did.
    Oh, sure. I've heard of Project Rooftop, I think I've been linked there once. I'll read up on it.

Day 105

So, a Storm

I don't think I've ever really read superhero comics, except for Dragonball, but we did have a lot of the animated shows. Swedish dubbed television is a travesty unfit to inflict on your worst enemy. I've heard that there is precisely one family of hacks who have some form of pathetic monopoly on the field of voiceacting in the nation. It wouldn't really surprise me if that was true.

Anyway, Storm is a nice character in a field of entertainment with a inadequate understanding of race and gender. I think ten year old me concluded her the most powerful of her team, which is another reason I still like her, I guess.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Day 106

Asked my brother to name a superhero he liked, he told me to draw batman. So I did.

Holy magical knitting needles, Batman.

Also, Zorg, I'm sorry I didn't respond to this two days ago, you asked what I had done to my shading. I've started using a tortillon, it's basically like cheating, and I highly recomend it to everyone here. It is just amazing.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the shadow video, well not the exact one but it's got the right bit!

In regards to your superhero sketches, it's interesting seeing how you did them as someone who doesn't really like the genre. You certainly did Storm justice, and it goes to show how the cliched classic 'I will smite you' pose combined with the wild hair and billowing cape are so ingrained to make one think of calling down thunder and lightning.

Batman is interesting in how you depicted him. Many current comics give him an almost hulking, bodybuilder frame and show him more looming and menacing, while you have him slightly built and skulking - much more his shadowy side that honestly rarely gets used.
    Your Batman looks like a guy who can fight well, but uses his cunning and intelligence to win rather than brawn, which I like.
    So my somewhat roundabout point is that even with a classic, well known character you can inject change through fairly subtle means.

I have a set of tortillons, and they are great - though there is a tendancy to over use them, I find. I've had a couple of pictures come out looking the equivalent of photoshop airbrushed through somewhat zealous over-application...
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Here's the shadow video, well not the exact one but it's got the right bit!
    Thank you very much.

In regards to your superhero sketches, it's interesting seeing how you did them as someone who doesn't really like the genre. You certainly did Storm justice, and it goes to show how the cliched classic 'I will smite you' pose combined with the wild hair and billowing cape are so ingrained to make one think of calling down thunder and lightning.
    Looking at the three pictures I've now drawn, it can't be said outrageous amount of thought went into their poses and activities. I just kind of drew the action that immidiately came to mind when I thought about them, so it will probably be of little surprise if we see a lot of "iconic" imagery.

Storm's cape is somewhat of a subject to itself though, isn't it? I've picked up that when she flies it is her controlling wind to lift her, so is it attached to her wrists to be used as a sail? That should look a lot sillier than it is usually depicted.

Batman is interesting in how you depicted him. Many current comics give him an almost hulking, bodybuilder frame and show him more looming and menacing, while you have him slightly built and skulking - much more his shadowy side that honestly rarely gets used.
    Your Batman looks like a guy who can fight well, but uses his cunning and intelligence to win rather than brawn, which I like.
    So my somewhat roundabout point is that even with a classic, well known character you can inject change through fairly subtle means.
    Very good points.

I have a set of tortillons, and they are great - though there is a tendancy to over use them, I find. I've had a couple of pictures come out looking the equivalent of photoshop airbrushed through somewhat zealous over-application...
    *Looks at today's picture.*

Have I made myself guilty of that yet?

Day 107

So I drew a tool.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Day 108

Daredevil, the blind man with the power of sight!

Okay, admittedly, I know next to nothing about Daredevil, but I have a friend who likes him.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

Day 109

Drawing Daredevil made me think of how I would make a blind superhero.

And this is the result, Blackout.

A blind martial artist with a magical ability to generate darkness or extinguish light. I guess the greatest contrast between him and Daredevil is that while Daredevil in combat is all about overcoming or mitigating his handicap with his sonar ability and other super senses, Blackout would be all about lowering his opponents to his level. Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks the idea of fighting a blind man in pitch darkness intimidating, I don't know.

I'm kind of wondering if he would make a better hero or villain, I honestly don't know (probably not an anti-hero, though. But that's not for any real reason beyond personal preference).

Come to think of it, it is obvious that I've struck gold here. Just think of how cheap the action scenes would be.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Banned

I don't have the way with words to satisfyingly explain why here. Maaaybe I'd be more comfortable in someform of chat, I don't know. What do you like about them? But sure, I'm game.
    A superhero is no different from say, a powerful wizard. They are slices of human virtue and vice magnified, given some power or authority (or audacity) to express themselves. Batman is determination and practicality, with infinite wealth. Superman is a boys out ideal (literally) who can [i]do[/] all the things he feels he needs to.

If you had generimagic like in movies, would you stop at an alley, to bless the next person mugged there; presciently pick out crash sites and discretely heal the wounded; walk through slums ending poverty and spreading virtue?

Or would you Do what I thought I would do; wait until that jerk who picked on me walked by some stairs, then strike him blind and deaf?

So, a Storm

I don't think I've ever really read superhero comics, except for Dragonball, but we did have a lot of the animated shows. Swedish dubbed television is a travesty unfit to inflict on your worst enemy. I've heard that there is precisely one family of hacks who have some form of pathetic monopoly on the field of voiceacting in the nation. It wouldn't really surprise me if that was true.

Anyway, Storm is a nice character in a field of entertainment with a inadequate understanding of race and gender. I think ten year old me concluded her the most powerful of her team, which is another reason I still like her, I guess.
    Storm is a favorite.
    Her head looks as though it came off the neck before looking down. If that makes any sense.

Day 109

Drawing Daredevil made me think of how I would make a blind superhero.

And this is the result, Blackout.

A blind martial artist with a magical ability to generate darkness or extinguish light. I guess the greatest contrast between him and Daredevil is that while Daredevil in combat is all about overcoming or mitigating his handicap with his sonar ability and other super senses, Blackout would be all about lowering his opponents to his level. Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks the idea of fighting a blind man in pitch darkness intimidating, I don't know.

I'm kind of wondering if he would make a better hero or villain, I honestly don't know (probably not an anti-hero, though. But that's not for any real reason beyond personal preference).

Come to think of it, it is obvious that I've struck gold here. Just think of how cheap the action scenes would be.
    Intriguing. He's well drawn and displayed.

Ive unfortunately forgotten everything I wanted to say. So I'll be back when I'm all, like, lucid and stuff. ^^

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    A superhero is no different from say, a powerful wizard. They are slices of human virtue and vice magnified, given some power or authority (or audacity) to express themselves. Batman is determination and practicality, with infinite wealth. Superman is a boys out ideal (literally) who can [i]do[/] all the things he feels he needs to.
    This is true, and I especially like the parallels you draw between superheroes and magic (I might as well admit it, people trying to pass off superhero stories as science fiction is one of my trigger buttons). But I also think a lot of these stories kind of lose a lot of their meaning when their creators just stubbornly refuse to let them end, constantly retreading old ground. I guess it's just another personal thing, as there are a lot of people who actually enjoy the convoluted continuities when I know I wouldn't be able to stand them.

If you had generimagic like in movies, would you stop at an alley, to bless the next person mugged there; presciently pick out crash sites and discretely heal the wounded; walk through slums ending poverty and spreading virtue?

Or would you Do what I thought I would do; wait until that jerk who picked on me walked by some stairs, then strike him blind and deaf?
    I simply don't know. I have a kind of demented relationship with altruism.

Storm is a favorite.
    Her head looks as though it came off the neck before looking down. If that makes any sense.
    It does.

Intriguing. He's well drawn and displayed.
    Why thank you.

Ive unfortunately forgotten everything I wanted to say. So I'll be back when I'm all, like, lucid and stuff. ^^
    Do tell if it comes back, I'm quite sure it wont have lost its relevance.

Day 110

"it's like we're a super hero team, or some kind of anime squad. like the sailor moons, i guess, but not as lame, or as sexy."

So you are, John, so you are. Or should I say, Doctor Ragnarok?

That quote was really all the motivation I needed, so I drew the the human kids from Homestuck as superheroes.

From left to right, Jade Harley as the Iron Lass, John Egbert as Doctor Ragnarok, Rose Lalonde as the Faraway Herald, and Dave Strider as DJ Schrödinger.

Still a bit on the sketchy stage in a few places, didn't really have the patience to shade them properly. Sorry 'bout that.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-05-04 at 08:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Day 111

And so, concluding the week, I just touched up on yesterday's picture.

Thanks for the theme Thanqol, I'll admit I was skeptical but it turned out to be much more fun than I expected.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Day 112

Awake yet, little Derse dreamer?

Nothing special here, just a Homestuck inspired motive and kind of rough at that. Might/will throw some colour on it.

20. - Top - End - #200

Day 111

Thanks for the theme Thanqol, I'll admit I was skeptical but it turned out to be much more fun than I expected.
    Welcome! I look forwards to your counter-topic

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Just poking my head back in to have a look around! Sorry I kind of fell off the map there... things got hectic, but eh, that's an excuse so I'll just try to do better, or at least lurk more.

Anyway, the drawings are looking good, and remind me that I need to practice drawing more bipedal critters. Hopefully that's next on the list. Also, the superheroes remind me tangentially that I need to do some non-MLP fanart for a couple of shows...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Welcome! I look forwards to your counter-topic
    I'll return to you when I come up with something that doesn't suck. Maybe those landscapes, if you would enjoy that?

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Just poking my head back in to have a look around! Sorry I kind of fell off the map there... things got hectic, but eh, that's an excuse so I'll just try to do better, or at least lurk more.

Anyway, the drawings are looking good, and remind me that I need to practice drawing more bipedal critters. Hopefully that's next on the list. Also, the superheroes remind me tangentially that I need to do some non-MLP fanart for a couple of shows...
    Glad to see you here again, Druid. I look forward to seeing your work in the communal pony drawthread.

Day 113

Sometimes I think stupid thoughts.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Banned

Day 111

Thanqol has said similar in different framing. Coloring someone else's work removes the subtle burden of composition, judgement. "What next" goes out the window; what comes next is decided, you can't argue. You may well enjoy instead.

Day 112

Awake yet, little Derse dreamer?

Nothing special here, just a Homestuck inspired motive and kind of rough at that. Might/will throw some colour on it.
    There's something off with her positioning, I think. She should either be scrunched forward in which the torso will be behind the arms, or he belly would bow forward. Either way, a humans arms are just a touch the wrong size to go straight down.

I'll return to you when I come up with something that doesn't suck. Maybe those landscapes, if you would enjoy that?
    Either the most boring or most beautiful of ideas.
    can't wait to see which.

BWAHAHAhahahahahaa~
    Beautifully done. Beyond my ability to reproach.

This is true, and I especially like the parallels you draw between superheroes and magic (I might as well admit it, people trying to pass off superhero stories as science fiction is one of my trigger buttons). But I also think a lot of these stories kind of lose a lot of their meaning when their creators just stubbornly refuse to let them end, constantly retreading old ground. I guess it's just another personal thing, as there are a lot of people who actually enjoy the convoluted continuities when I know I wouldn't be able to stand them.
    Aha. A tangent ensues.

Spoiler
    Show
    stories must be repeated, that's what they do. Everything, even us right now, we are all stories. Your life, it's unprovable. You remember the narrative and you can imagine clearly the visuals but it's a story, the Anthem of Aquila Dei. We are all just another skald's dream in the shadows.

Consider that stories in comics repeat because the medium requires it. I may read batman stories years after thanqol does, but we both read the same batman. He is archetypal, and this is reflected in his stories. Further, the stories are reflected in him; because of who and what he is, his stories will always be the same. Isn't that how 'predestination' and 'free will' coexist? Prediction, not scripting. Batman will always perform the actions that a batman would perform. If baan performed the actions of Larry instead, he wouldn't be batman because batman doesn't perform like a larry, doesn't express the Larry attributes.

The stories have to repeat because they must define and redefine the archetype for those who missed it. The continuity, the trappings of time passing, these are nods to the old fans because yes, they've seen it before. But they are superficial.

Stories are memetic, but I dislike leaving it their. Words ate hints and snippets, not traps. I disliking defining something aims to contain it, which is why I dislike superficial science fiction; which is why I dislike superficial science. Science in the common man's understanding is to catalogue and move on, after having sagely contained motion and acceleration and heat and energy under "physics". The common man will use this as a dismissive. "oh, that's physics." he will say, with a hand wave and a segue elsewhere because physics is known, encapsulated, let's move on. Or an argument will go "it's been peoven scientifically" which belies reproach about what scientist where and how did such a thing. Science is undeniable, and wielded as an end.

Magic even moreso, because where science at least makes a nod to processes, magic is magic and ain't gotta explain **** (which is what science does, specifically in regards to metabolism and the gastrointestinal processes of the bowels). Magician something that seemingly can't be argued with.

This is false however; this is a man seeing Magic! And giving it the same clothes as Science! And then complaining because at least science has the decent to tip its hat and doesn't need an extra notch in its belt! But that's approaching magic like science (you have hopefully caught on that I'm using these as proper nouns now; science, from it's root, means knowledge; Scientology is a beautiful word with enormous promise shackled to a pre-existing idea that doesn't gel). You don't approach cooking like cleaning, why should this differ?

Magic, IF we compare Science to a museum or library where everything is shutdown and locked up and filed away for ease of digestion, is the exact opposite as a device. Magic is the funny book dropped outside a used book store, with the food ajar. And a funny statue on one of the shelves... And a sign in an odd language... Then a flight of stairs with a light on down there, and some voices.... Then an odd, formal ball of about ten people who pay you no mind... Then a large door with a lion knocker... Then an accountant at a desk asking if you're here for deposit or withdrawal.

At any one of these points, you can stop and look around and apply rationality and get a lot of nice data. The bookstore is closed, so return the book, maybe jot a note, close the door. Or the statue is neat, these books are interesting, let's have a read. Or these stairs lead to a stock room,they must be busy, let's go. Or this ball must be for a book club, may e they didn't know they left the door open, perhaps the staff party wouldn't mind the distraction of a party crasher? But each step of the way,magic in literature or in principle draws you in further, says 'but why stop here? There's more!'

Magic In stories involves invocation without real knowledge, but instead trust in verisimilitude. You cross the bridge because you've told the troll that your brother will be along shortly. That family looks after family, preventing you from selling your brother out when he has no money or your brother from not seeing after you debt, is magic. You could always go deeper, but that just leads to a different point at which the same rules apply. Magic at its heart is wonder, mystery, in which each discovery leads to no answers and more questions. The dissection of magic ruins it.

Superman is magic. No amount of explanation adequately explains how he can fly or survive bullets. But it goes further. Supes doesn't have magic, he is magic. He is a force which occurs to other people. That scene from the recent movie where he takes a bullet to the eye isn't about how awesome Superman is, it's about the wonder of being a good guy, a hostage, and being in a bad spot. And then this magical man of steel flies in, rights the wrongs, and defies all expectations by ignoring the known (bullets kill; good is dumb; numbers matter) and creates mystery. That Lois Lane takes him for granted is a travesty. She has taken invincibility, a passion for justice, the dichotomy of never being art of that thing you love but still upholding it, sacrifice and success beyond sacrifice, eye lasers and flight and the ability to somehow shrug off supersonic force while still being sensitive enough to moderate your movements to not crush others into paste, all these wonderful beautiful terrifying things! She calls all this 'superman' and invokes him without thought. Superman is as much about a city calling on magic it doesn't understand, as it is about that magic's feelings on the subject. The entire set up is for believability and empathy, because "bad guts do bad stuff and then a savior appears, makes it all better and fills you with a sense of joy and awesomeness before leaving" doesn't work.

That's why the justification. That batman is a 40 year old super ninja scientist vigilante is unimportant; it's the handwave so you stop going "wait, what?" and go "yeah batman, kick his ass!". Spider man climbs walls. How? Spider powers. Let's move on. This is where science is often employed. If something is science enough, you accept it and move on.

That's the point; why batman is fighting criminals instead of having a PTSD attack is irrelevant unless the questionhds up the narrative. Batman is Justice, Good winning No Matter What, Darkness Without Malice; the rough man willing to do violence on your behalf, for the Right Reasons. He must be Good, Capable, Right. These three allow for the proper stories. If you challenge the assumptions (and you can, because these are great stories in themselves) then you're no longer listening to the tale of Batman and how man can mean well but must be ever vigilant against the darkness of his own heart, but can redeem himself through good works. You are listening instead to subjective versus objective morality, philosophy, and who has the right to decide one way or another, and the consequences of those questions. Certainly interesting, but no longer batman.

To which one could easily argue "but that is what batman is all about!". Yes, true, on that level. But superheroes are magic, and beckon. One can always go deeper.

Such is art. The hardest part about watching thanqol's triumph has been the assumption that there is Art and I'm not doing it right. But where I get off and enjoy myself, while he continues his sometimes painful, sometimes beautiful elevator ride, is choice, not objectively good or bad. On one end of the spectrum we can say "art is subjective so you can't judge me" and on the other we can say "you did not perfectly capture, catalogue and detail the thing you drew, you fail". But the entire point of this, and of my rant here, and of watching this bold Australian, and of helping you, is that the scale is a lie, a tool. set it where you want it for this particular project but don't let it dominate you. Sure, the same stories are told over and over. How you tell them and what you emphasize is also important.

-

I tried to tie this back down so the whole thing made a circuit. It feels smarmy but alas. It his way we can't say it's not relevant, though we could call null on the whole thing. What is a wizard of not an elevator? At some point, you've got to say "this is nice and all, but my stop was three floors ago. Jog on."

I simply don't know. I have a kind of demented relationship with altruism.
    Depends on the story, doesn't it?

It does.
    Aha, you do get it!
    Very good,I'm quite proud of you. so few resond well before the questions even arise.

Why thank you.
    You're very welcome

I love serendipity.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Thanqol has said similar in different framing. Coloring someone else's work removes the subtle burden of composition, judgement. "What next" goes out the window; what comes next is decided, you can't argue. You may well enjoy instead.
    Very true.

There's something off with her positioning, I think. She should either be scrunched forward in which the torso will be behind the arms, or he belly would bow forward. Either way, a humans arms are just a touch the wrong size to go straight down.
    I'll make sure to correct it if I return to it.

BWAHAHAhahahahahaa~
    Beautifully done. Beyond my ability to reproach.
    I'm glad it landed with someone, at least.

Aha. A tangent ensues.

Spoiler
    Show
    stories must be repeated, that's what they do. Everything, even us right now, we are all stories. Your life, it's unprovable. You remember the narrative and you can imagine clearly the visuals but it's a story, the Anthem of Aquila Dei. We are all just another skald's dream in the shadows.

Consider that stories in comics repeat because the medium requires it. I may read batman stories years after thanqol does, but we both read the same batman. He is archetypal, and this is reflected in his stories. Further, the stories are reflected in him; because of who and what he is, his stories will always be the same. Isn't that how 'predestination' and 'free will' coexist? Prediction, not scripting. Batman will always perform the actions that a batman would perform. If baan performed the actions of Larry instead, he wouldn't be batman because batman doesn't perform like a larry, doesn't express the Larry attributes.

The stories have to repeat because they must define and redefine the archetype for those who missed it. The continuity, the trappings of time passing, these are nods to the old fans because yes, they've seen it before. But they are superficial.

Stories are memetic, but I dislike leaving it their. Words ate hints and snippets, not traps. I disliking defining something aims to contain it, which is why I dislike superficial science fiction; which is why I dislike superficial science. Science in the common man's understanding is to catalogue and move on, after having sagely contained motion and acceleration and heat and energy under "physics". The common man will use this as a dismissive. "oh, that's physics." he will say, with a hand wave and a segue elsewhere because physics is known, encapsulated, let's move on. Or an argument will go "it's been peoven scientifically" which belies reproach about what scientist where and how did such a thing. Science is undeniable, and wielded as an end.

Magic even moreso, because where science at least makes a nod to processes, magic is magic and ain't gotta explain **** (which is what science does, specifically in regards to metabolism and the gastrointestinal processes of the bowels). Magician something that seemingly can't be argued with.

This is false however; this is a man seeing Magic! And giving it the same clothes as Science! And then complaining because at least science has the decent to tip its hat and doesn't need an extra notch in its belt! But that's approaching magic like science (you have hopefully caught on that I'm using these as proper nouns now; science, from it's root, means knowledge; Scientology is a beautiful word with enormous promise shackled to a pre-existing idea that doesn't gel). You don't approach cooking like cleaning, why should this differ?

Magic, IF we compare Science to a museum or library where everything is shutdown and locked up and filed away for ease of digestion, is the exact opposite as a device. Magic is the funny book dropped outside a used book store, with the food ajar. And a funny statue on one of the shelves... And a sign in an odd language... Then a flight of stairs with a light on down there, and some voices.... Then an odd, formal ball of about ten people who pay you no mind... Then a large door with a lion knocker... Then an accountant at a desk asking if you're here for deposit or withdrawal.

At any one of these points, you can stop and look around and apply rationality and get a lot of nice data. The bookstore is closed, so return the book, maybe jot a note, close the door. Or the statue is neat, these books are interesting, let's have a read. Or these stairs lead to a stock room,they must be busy, let's go. Or this ball must be for a book club, may e they didn't know they left the door open, perhaps the staff party wouldn't mind the distraction of a party crasher? But each step of the way,magic in literature or in principle draws you in further, says 'but why stop here? There's more!'

Magic In stories involves invocation without real knowledge, but instead trust in verisimilitude. You cross the bridge because you've told the troll that your brother will be along shortly. That family looks after family, preventing you from selling your brother out when he has no money or your brother from not seeing after you debt, is magic. You could always go deeper, but that just leads to a different point at which the same rules apply. Magic at its heart is wonder, mystery, in which each discovery leads to no answers and more questions. The dissection of magic ruins it.

Superman is magic. No amount of explanation adequately explains how he can fly or survive bullets. But it goes further. Supes doesn't have magic, he is magic. He is a force which occurs to other people. That scene from the recent movie where he takes a bullet to the eye isn't about how awesome Superman is, it's about the wonder of being a good guy, a hostage, and being in a bad spot. And then this magical man of steel flies in, rights the wrongs, and defies all expectations by ignoring the known (bullets kill; good is dumb; numbers matter) and creates mystery. That Lois Lane takes him for granted is a travesty. She has taken invincibility, a passion for justice, the dichotomy of never being art of that thing you love but still upholding it, sacrifice and success beyond sacrifice, eye lasers and flight and the ability to somehow shrug off supersonic force while still being sensitive enough to moderate your movements to not crush others into paste, all these wonderful beautiful terrifying things! She calls all this 'superman' and invokes him without thought. Superman is as much about a city calling on magic it doesn't understand, as it is about that magic's feelings on the subject. The entire set up is for believability and empathy, because "bad guts do bad stuff and then a savior appears, makes it all better and fills you with a sense of joy and awesomeness before leaving" doesn't work.

That's why the justification. That batman is a 40 year old super ninja scientist vigilante is unimportant; it's the handwave so you stop going "wait, what?" and go "yeah batman, kick his ass!". Spider man climbs walls. How? Spider powers. Let's move on. This is where science is often employed. If something is science enough, you accept it and move on.

That's the point; why batman is fighting criminals instead of having a PTSD attack is irrelevant unless the questionhds up the narrative. Batman is Justice, Good winning No Matter What, Darkness Without Malice; the rough man willing to do violence on your behalf, for the Right Reasons. He must be Good, Capable, Right. These three allow for the proper stories. If you challenge the assumptions (and you can, because these are great stories in themselves) then you're no longer listening to the tale of Batman and how man can mean well but must be ever vigilant against the darkness of his own heart, but can redeem himself through good works. You are listening instead to subjective versus objective morality, philosophy, and who has the right to decide one way or another, and the consequences of those questions. Certainly interesting, but no longer batman.

To which one could easily argue "but that is what batman is all about!". Yes, true, on that level. But superheroes are magic, and beckon. One can always go deeper.

Such is art. The hardest part about watching thanqol's triumph has been the assumption that there is Art and I'm not doing it right. But where I get off and enjoy myself, while he continues his sometimes painful, sometimes beautiful elevator ride, is choice, not objectively good or bad. On one end of the spectrum we can say "art is subjective so you can't judge me" and on the other we can say "you did not perfectly capture, catalogue and detail the thing you drew, you fail". But the entire point of this, and of my rant here, and of watching this bold Australian, and of helping you, is that the scale is a lie, a tool. set it where you want it for this particular project but don't let it dominate you. Sure, the same stories are told over and over. How you tell them and what you emphasize is also important.

-

I tried to tie this back down so the whole thing made a circuit. It feels smarmy but alas. It his way we can't say it's not relevant, though we could call null on the whole thing. What is a wizard of not an elevator? At some point, you've got to say "this is nice and all, but my stop was three floors ago. Jog on."
    I'll respond to this more fully later.

Depends on the story, doesn't it?
    Indeed.

Things got a bit stupid with time over here, so, somewhat belated, just a quick sketch.

Day 114 (kind of)

Inspiration ran dry, so I just drew the best troll.

The face came out a little off.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Day 115

Anything familiar?

Colouring is a little unusual, and that isn't (just) me being lazy here, but quite deliberate, as I tried something else. I tried to make the painting a little more transparent and let the sketch shine through. It didn't work here though, but I'm quite sure everyone here has seen something like what I'm talking about here and know for a fact that it can work, so you probably know what I was aiming for.

I'm thinking of going backwards in the thread and revisit the pictures I've promised myself to do more with, it would at the very least be an excuse to wave the tablet around more.

I'm sorry SiuiS, I just can't get the words down and the subject is making me genuinely angry. I think you are making a lot of positive assumptions about the comics and their creators, while I am making thoroughly cynical and hostile ones. I'm sorry I'm being this lame, really.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Day 114 (kind of)

Inspiration ran dry, so I just drew the best troll.

The face came out a little off.
    Nice Aradia! The arms might be a bit long though, and the elbow doesn't seem quite defined - they look a bit noodly, although that might be an effect of her outfit.

Day 115

Anything familiar?

Colouring is a little unusual, and that isn't (just) me being lazy here, but quite deliberate, as I tried something else. I tried to make the painting a little more transparent and let the sketch shine through. It didn't work here though, but I'm quite sure everyone here has seen something like what I'm talking about here and know for a fact that it can work, so you probably know what I was aiming for.

I'm thinking of going backwards in the thread and revisit the pictures I've promised myself to do more with, it would at the very least be an excuse to wave the tablet around more.

I'm sorry SiuiS, I just can't get the words down and the subject is making me genuinely angry. I think you are making a lot of positive assumptions about the comics and their creators, while I am making thoroughly cynical and hostile ones. I'm sorry I'm being this lame, really.
    I agree that the color seems a bit odd, but as long as you learned something from the experiment, it's a positive step. I honestly need to do a bit more experimentation myself...

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Nice Aradia!
    Catholic pope. Blue sky.

The arms might be a bit long though, and the elbow doesn't seem quite defined - they look a bit noodly, although that might be an effect of her outfit.
    Yup, I noticed this too late to correct it satisfyingly.

I agree that the color seems a bit odd, but as long as you learned something from the experiment, it's a positive step. I honestly need to do a bit more experimentation myself...
    So I'm told. And best of luck to you.

Day 116

What a perfectly trustworthy individual.

Should have given him teeth though.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-05-10 at 08:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Day 117

He doesn't want to leave a comment on his lack of a face and neither do I.

It's simply too late for faces.

So yeah, this one is kind of pointless, but I did learn a couple of things about how you can and can not place your hand on your own chest, so I guess that's one victory.

Something with more meaning tomorrow. Maybe even good, It's too early to tell.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-05-11 at 08:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

My, how perfectly rectangular you are!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Day 117

He doesn't want to leave a comment on his lack of a face and neither do I.

It's simply too late for faces.

So yeah, this one is kind of pointless, but I did learn a couple of things about how you can and can not place your hand on your own chest, so I guess that's one victory.

Something with more meaning tomorrow. Maybe even good, It's too early to tell.
    It looks pretty good, face aside, but one thing I notice is that although the lines and shadows look right, he doesn't seem to have much volume. Not really sure how to improve that myself, but I think it feels just a little flat as is...

Spoiler
    Show