New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Alright, added religion. My skaven honorable warrior Rat men are now complete!
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm... Is starting off with a regicide in a duel acceptable, rather than a ruler suicide? I'm thinking that the current king was, effectively, running the kingdom into the ground through misrule, and had been for most of the heir's life, so she challenged him, thereby gaining the position - though I'm sure that at least one of her siblings will dispute that.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Alright, added religion. My skaven honorable warrior Rat men are now complete!
    Awesome! I've updated the second post to link to yours. That makes for three fully completed countries in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Hm... Is starting off with a regicide in a duel acceptable, rather than a ruler suicide? I'm thinking that the current king was, effectively, running the kingdom into the ground through misrule, and had been for most of the heir's life, so she challenged him, thereby gaining the position - though I'm sure that at least one of her siblings will dispute that.
    That is perfectly fine.

I'll be adding in something on succession laws later today. After all, if a character dies without children, but they still have siblings, one of them can simply take over, for example. I think that that will be the final rules addition that will be necessary for for play. There are a few more things I may add later in the game (such as spying, assassinations, things related to races, and perhaps split Curiosity into Science and Economics), but that is for much later.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 12:43 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Added religion and some information about my ruler to my previous post.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Added religion and some information about my ruler to my previous post.
    I like the part on religion, as the similarities with the sun are very much intentional.

It's also pretty handy to have the info on the current ruler and their immediate family (including ages) in the same post. Makes it easier for me to collect that info to put into the third post.

By the way, since the game is about ruling families, is the position of High Guildmaster hereditary? Does the High Guildmaster control one of the guilds as well, or are all guilds led by their own Guildmaster, with the High Guildmaster simply being placed above them? You mention that it's an extended family that controls most of the nine guilds. If the High Guildmaster directly controls one of the guilds, I guess that means that with each new High Guildmaster they might control a different guild than their predecessor, correct? (Assuming that is true, of course. It would be interesting, as the dynamic of the country could change a lot with each new ruler.)

Also, I put the craft goods you have as a resource under the common header of "fine crafted goods/luxury items" in the second post. 's That alright?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 01:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Alright, I've finished my region (except population and tech). Should I repost?

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I like the part on religion, as the similarities with the sun are very much intentional.

It's also pretty handy to have the info on the current ruler and their immediate family (including ages) in the same post. Makes it easier for me to collect that info to put into the third post.

By the way, since the game is about ruling families, is the position of High Guildmaster hereditary? Does the High Guildmaster control one of the guilds as well, or are all guilds led by their own Guildmaster, with the High Guildmaster simply being placed above them? You mention that it's an extended family that controls most of the nine guilds. If the High Guildmaster directly controls one of the guilds, I guess that means that with each new High Guildmaster they might control a different guild than their predecessor, correct? (Assuming that is true, of course. It would be interesting, as the dynamic of the country could change a lot with each new ruler.)

Also, I put the craft goods you have as a resource under the common header of "fine crafted goods/luxury items" in the second post. 's That alright?
    Glad you like it. Yes, the last bit is fine.

As to the Guild masters: It is hereditary. However, when a new guildmaster comes in to his title, he must pass a test (example: the new guildmaster of the smithing guild would have to forge a sword of a certain quality). The high guildmaster position works in the same manner, except he must pass a test of political maneuvering (as the high guildmaster is the head of state). Specifically, he has to convince each of the guilds that he is an adequate leader.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Provinces of The Triumvirate formerly exclusive to the Ignato Empire

Woodwind Province
    Region 6, QuintonBeck

Region Details

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Situated in a temperate climate the land held by the Woodwind people has abundant natural resources and its oceanfront border encourages fishing and allows a solid barrier against overland armies on the western side.

Sapphire Shores-The beaches along the Western border are known as Sapphire Shores and are said to shine with the beauty of a thousand gemstones when the sun sets over the water. Housing many settlements, the largest of the Woodwind people the Shore is a jubilant and lively place. Sapphire Shores is home to the "capital" of the Woodwind people, a quasi-fort city known to the people as Water's Watch stands on the coast and contains about 1/6th of the total population and has housed the leading Khan of the region for all remembered and recorded generations.

Eurial Forest-Spanning much of the middle of Woodwind territory and running up against the Eastern border the Eurial Forest is home to a diverse group of animals and plants and provides lumber and good land for settlement. While the larger settlements along the shore dwarf those nearer the forest a plethora of hamlets and villages make up the interior lands.

Stonetable-A great monument situated near the northern border the Stonetable is a large rock plateau that towers over the land around it. Nearly two miles across from side to side the Stonetable is a strange natural phenomenon but its relative lack of useful material leaves it largely as a simple guidepost with which to discern the border and only a few settlements stand near it.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Dark skinned and tall with sharp featured humans the people of the Woodwind are generally lithe but well built, natural hunters. Most have brown eyes though some are born with green and are said to be infused more deeply with the nature of the world around them.

The people of Woodwind have a relatively peaceful history, coastal cities, established by the first settlers said to have arrived in ancient times rose slowly over the course of decades and the plentiful fishing kept the people there satisfied and allowed them to build. Ancient stories tell of a single great schism arising within the people and the banishment of a more militant and hostile faction of the Woodwind People away from the coastal lands and this banishment and push by the banishers led the Woodwind people to expand their holdings inland. As they expanded inward they encountered others with strong hunter gatherer traditions who had built up livelihood in the woods and established their own civilization. The coastal city state and the inner woodlands tribes coexisted and soon trade prospered between them and over time the more politically dominant coastal cities absorbed their inland neighbors into the fold establishing the dominion owned by the Woodland peoples.

The government of the Woodland people is one of inherited monarchy, led by the eldest child of the last reigning Khan upon his death this tradition dates back to the society's inception. No texts speak of the origin of this government but the legends say the first Khan was the first man to organize the fishing villages so that they could grown and support one another, guided by the light of Ignatumna and that he went on to build the great keep at Water's Watch that sheltered the people from the Great Storm and in so doing became their savior and their Khan and he being wise and disciplined dictated the laws of succession and of governance, stating that an Ignato would always lead the tribe and that under a Khan the people would become great.

The people of Woodwind have not been overly aggressive in their relations with outsiders. Though their land is defended the borders are somewhat nebulous and interaction with outsiders is usually for trade or intermarriage. With the rise of Khan Dyamus Ignato the political nature of Woodwind changed. Borders were quickly defined and expanded and the relatively stagnant population of Woodwind was whipped into a powerful fighting and invading force. Aloren, the land to the south of Woodwind fell under the Khan's expansion first and intermarriage between the lower castes was encouraged, however the Ignato line remained purely Woodwind in stock.

When Nyroth fell under now Imperial control it followed a similar suit as Aloren, it's lower castes mixing and muddling but the Ignato line remained purely Woodwind. However, wear was beginning to show as nobles from the two new provinces and high regarded merchants and warriors from Woodwind began to intermarry. It is still gradual and slow, but time is quickly eroding provincial differences in people.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show

Resources: Fish [Good] Dire Boar(Game) [Good] Timber [Good]
    Imports: Platinum

Abundant animals for hunting, a coast for fishing, and a vast forest makes the Woodwind land a producer of food and timber. Unfortunately the land has been found largely lacking in mineral resources by explorers and thus the people of the Woodwind rely on trade from their neighbors to outfit their needs.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show

Religion: Animists (With increasing Fire Lord presence)

The people of Woodwind are generally animists though religion plays a very minor role in their general lives and while tales of the Lord of Fire and his Avatar have reached their ears it has done nothing to persuade or frighten them.

With recent interactions with Calorum priests of the Lord of Fire have begun to convert parts of the population to the renegade Calroum sect of Fire Lord worship.

An Excerpt from the Radurjic Codex Dated in the Year 370
    Woodwind Religious Beliefs – The Great Boar, The Conqueror, The Blazing Oak are epithets for the primary spirit followed within the province of Woodwind. Noted by Radurjan scholars to be officially recorded within texts as Ignatumna, this spirit in various forms has appeared in Woodwind history for as far back as recorded. Originally a simple spirit associated with nature and rites of passage for young men symbolized by the boar the spirit soon expanded when the Ignato family claimed power within Water’s Watch by claiming to be chosen by Ignatumna. Texts are unclear as to which direction the naming went. Needless to say the spirit saw some significant growth and interpretation as the oak leaf, already a symbol of the Ignato family, was taken to be associated with the spirit as well. So too with the rise in power of the Ignato bloodline the spirit came to be associated with conquest, the assimilation of the various Woodwind tribes into one. It is surprising then that until the rise of Khan Dyamus Ignato Woodwind, himself not overly religious, Woodwind remained relatively peaceful. Calorum Fire Reformation saw the Oak leaf of the Ignato line become the Blazing Oak and so too it entered into the portrayal of the spirit. Appearing in art most often as a mighty boar with great tusks or as a flaming oak leaf recent interpretations have seen Ignatumna portrayed as a Woodwind warrior bearing a marked resemblance to the Khan of Khans Dyamus Ignato. This has been adopted without much question and the Ignato clan has not spoken in favor or in opposition to this close association.
    Portfolio: Conquest, Manhood, & Unification
    Domains: War, Pride, Strength, & Courage[/QUOTE]

Spoiler: Woodwind Marriage and the Ignato Bloodline
    Show
    Considered to be a family blessed by the spirits (now more commonly blessed by the Great Ancestor) tradition has held that any who marry into the ruling Ignato family become members of that family, losing their former ties. This applies to women marrying in as well as men. In a 'normal' marriage the man's family name takes precedence and the woman joins his family, but the Ignato line absorbs individuals regardless of which gender was born Ignato. When a spouse is take into the ruling family in such a way they and any children they have with their Ignato family are considered fully 'blooded' Ignatos and while this does not make the spouse's relatives Ignato it does raise their prestige.

The tradition when this bonding takes place is for the Ignato born to place a red sash bearing the Ignato Oak leaf made by their own hand upon their spouse thus representing the blooding of the new member. The spouse then loses their last name completely, having it replaced with Ignato. With the addition of Nyroth to the Empire the sashes used for this bonding have been being woven from the silk produced there.

Aloren Province
    Region 8, QuintonBeck

Region Details

Show
    The land of Aloren is mostly forest. However, since a deep-seated fear of the Wood is ingrained in the minds of its people, it is on the cliffs that line its coast that its people thrive. The trees that grow here have needles and thorns, growing tall and close together. Almost nothing grows on the forest floor, for what could grow in a place with so little sun? Since so little undergrowth grows other than briars in these woods, there is minimal life on the forest floor. No human villages have been built in this forest, but tales of little folk with features of dragons, called "kobolds", stealing children in the night have been prominent in the Kingdom.

At the heart of the Wood is Heaven's Blade, a sharp-peaked mountain that juts above the forest canopy. Its outline can be seen on the horizon from anywhere in Aloren, and is often used for navigation when a traveler is lost. The absence of its silhouette in the Wood may be one source of disappearing travelers, as well as local superstition regarding at.

The coast is barely more inhabitable than the Wood. It consists of steep cliffs that drop to the sea, dire reefs, and tall, sharp rocks that jut from the depths. Though they live on the sea, the only resources they have ever taken from it are fish - which they cook into spectacular dishes for which they are famous. However, their main livelihood is goatherding. Almost as famous as their fish, the goats that live along the jagged coast are known around the world for their strength, their stubbornness, and, most of all, their milk. The milk of Alorenic goats tastes rich and creamy, like the ideal of cow's milk, and is their main export to the outside world, aside from furs, leathers, and copies of their most famous sagas.

Show
    PRE-IMPERIAL HISTORYThe people of Aloren are considered by outsiders to be superstitious and backward. They adhere still to the druidic beliefs their ancestors held, for the most part, though the Faith of the Lord of Fire has been growing in its followers within the villages of late. Many beliefs from the Faith have assimilated into their culture, even in villages where the Faith is outlawed. This odd intake of foreign beliefs tends to bring in ideas that conflict with the more conventional druidic faith, and, as such, many leaders that pass judgement by such beliefs often find themselves overthrown by the people or repositioned by their superiors. However, one such component of the Faith has remained a part of Alorenic culture: the feudal system.

Most villagers take a small portion of the day to pray to ancestors and the druidic gods at a community shrine, and many of them make a pilgrimage at least once in their lives to one of the ancient shrines that lies at the edge of the Wood. At community shrines, they pray, offer sacrifice, hold mourning service for the dead, crown their lords, and hold other important gatherings. At ancient shrines, they are more prone to offer larger sacrifice and pray more openly, but there is rarely an important event that is held at an ancient shrine. One exception is the crowning of a king, which is always held at the Shrine of the Elder Wood.

Politics in Aloren are complex and dangerous. Each lord has many more bodyguards than heralds, and the king has enough that he requires a separate palace for their housing. This is due to frequent attempts at assassination, uprisings, and the like. When living above the rest, one must remember - the higher you climb, the farther down you have to fall.

Village life, however is simple and quaint. Most gain their living as farmers, goatherds, fishermen, cooks, tanners, merchants, blacksmiths, huntsmen, and town guardsmen, earning substantial pay and having plenty of time to relax. As a result, many villagers have learned the art of reading, a concept that was foreign to the people before the coming of the Faith. A few literate villagers become scholars or story-tellers in addition to their day-to-day jobs, but most are content to live their simple, peaceful lives.

IMPERIAL HISTORY: Aloren has become a center of wealthy elite in regards to trading caravans and the educated. Their history as a site of story telling and learning as well as the location of the Enclave of Existence within its borders has lent to the province's growing prominence as a site of Imperial culture and class. Though it does not hold the prestige of being the capital, its luscious forests and bright people make it a shining jewel within the Ignato Empire.

The physical appearance of the Aloren people is largely similar to Woodwind to the north and Genivana to their south. Tall, dark skin, dark hair with sharp features akin to their Woodwind relatives. Historical speculation by Enclave scholars posits that the people of Woodwind, Genivana, and Aloren share a common migrated history from the south. This claim has been backed up by Salterri appearances matching those of these three regions and while the place in which Hrathan-Tuor fits into the puzzle is still highly debated the shared migration history is taken as relative fact.

Show
    Resources: Fish [Good] Saffron [Good] Goats [Good]
    Imports: Metals

Show
    The people of Aloren are of scattered and disparate beliefs, with no common religion binding them.

An Excerpt From the Radurjic Codex Dated in the Year 370
    Aloren Religious Beliefs – The Old Man in the Forest, The Springing Kid, The Great Oak, all names for the chief spirit within the province of Aloren. Known as Yrrmindel by the native druids the spirit serves as a representative of nature within the Aloren faith system. Taking on three faces, Yrrmindel is represented within art most often in the form of the Old Man or the Great Oak (sometimes fused together) and is only rarely seen in the form of the Springing Kid, a young goat full of life and energy. Radurjan scholars were initially unsure whether this was the same spirit at all but discussions with converted druids have revealed this to be the case. Whatever his form the spirit is placed at the top of any sort of Aloren pantheon that might be drawn. Representing the harsh brutality of nature and that nature within man as well as the sustenance and life wrought by nature Yrrmindel serves a primary force as a teacher within Aloren. He is said to give wise counsel and advocate peace and coexistence as well as preparedness in dealing with threats from outside. Yrrmindel is slow to act and slower still to anger, though provocation draws from him all the ferocity of nature. He is said to grant worthy followers the power of the wilds and is prayed to by travelers for protection within his wild domain.
    Portfolio: Nature, Wisdom, & Life
    Domains: Nature, Animals, Plants, & Meditation

Spoiler: Images of Aloren
    Show

Nyroth Province
    Region 3, QuintonBeck

Region Details

Show
    The majority of Nyroth is covered in forest, but the most prominent (tallest) feature is the Barli Mountain Range, which blocks off the majority of the Eastern Border. However, the most curious is Blackrock Crater, and it's pretty obvious what this is. Rumors have it that all who enter to mine it's rich minerals are never seen again. Survivors report a large monster (think Hydralisk) in the mist, but these people are quite insane and not trustworthy. Do not talk to them.

Show
    PRE-IMPERIAL HISTORY The residents of Nyroth feature silvery-white skinned humans with pink hair. They are extremely active at night, as they do not sleep and have developed night-vision. There are also tribes of lizardfolk in the forests and at the base of the mountains. These lizardfolk are loyal to the humans in every way, shape, and form. The lizardfolk serve as warriors while the humans take part in other affairs.

IMPERIAL HISTORY: With the nation brought under Imperial control the balance of power between human and Lizardfolk shifted drastically. Many of the supposedly devoutly loyal Lizardfolk abandoned their human masters when Imperial forces came marching on the promises of full citizenship and autonomy within the Empire, forcing the humans of Nyroth to attempt and defend themselves personally with only some help from lizardfolk who remained loyal to the army. Now, with full Imperial Citizenship and control over the election of Nyroth's Senators the Lizardfolk minority exercises power and prestige over their fellow native human Nyroth Imperial citizens.

The origins of each race in Nyroth have been investigated at length by Enclave scholars. Many believe the lizardfolk originated from across the Central Sea, migrating east and settling in Nyroth with the human population being in fact a highly diluted strain of fae relative to the fae of the Heartwaste. Sojourner Faeywal, an expert in this field, has begun extensive investigation on their origin to be published in Lyradis' Bestiary of Telluris.

Show
    Resources: Timber [Good] Spices [Good] Silk [Good]
    Imports: Stone

All tradable resources in the region come from the forests, so, obviously, lumber is a primary export. But near the town of Lint, ginger plants are grown in the outskirts of the woods. These have a subtle scent that draw in moths from miles around. These moths' larvae produce a silky substance when cocooned, which, when woven, produces silk. Many other goods, such as metals and grains, are produced locally in low abundance. The Nyrothians are short on building materials and currently desire stone.

Show
    The Lizardfolk of Nyroth are followers of the Cult of the Sky

An Excerpt From the Radurjic Codex Dated in the Year 370
    Nyroth Religious Beliefs – The Great Weaver, Mother Weaver, Moth Mother just names for the great spirit known as Sericyx. Sericyx is the spirit held in highest regard within the province of Nyroth’s Radurjan sect. Said to weave together the threads of the lives of all people, bringing them together and making the beautiful tapestry of life she is also known as Life Binder for her role as a matron of marriage and childbirth. Taking the form of a silk moth as well as a kindly woman of middle years, Sericyx is often prayed to by young women seeking to enter womanhood, as well as midwives. Due to this Sericyx is often seen as a feminine spirit and as such most of the watafiti and mashahidi in Nyroth are female. Yet, Sericyx is not strictly a spirit devoted to females, her domain includes planning and she is often revered by lords, senators, and commanders for her ability to navigate the threads that compose ones surroundings. She is seen as wise, guiding steady and slow hands to resolve the disparate threads of life into a tapestry worthy of awe.
    The Great Weave, the competition held to determine the Mistress of the Weave is said by religious sorts to be discovering Sericyx’s champion of the era. As Radurja and its reverence continues to foster faith within the people of Nyroth this sentiment grows stronger and since Dras-Ta’s appointment as Mistress of the Weave this has allowed more and more reconciliation between the lizardfolk and human populations.
    Portfolio: Destiny, Womanhood, & Unification
    Domains: Weaving, Community, Craft, & Fate

Spoiler: Nyroth Weaving
    Show
    Weaving, as might be expected in a land which produces some of the finest silk in Telluris, is a popular leisure and art activity among the people of Nyroth province. The delicate art was long considered to be much to complex and precise for the lizardfolk to partake in and was held by the humans of Nyroth as a symbol of their superiority that they were able to craft such fine pieces of art.

However, in the first year following Nyroth's acquisition by the Empire (361) a mysterious weaver began to create masterpieces unparalleled by anything that had been made before. Eventually in order to determine who this artist was a weaving competition was organized by a wealthy human merchant who had received a mysterious weaving depicting a unified lizardfolk and human holding hands in peace. The competition offered 1,000 platinum pieces to whoever took first place. All the finest weavers from across Nyroth and the rest of the Empire came to try and prove themselves to be the best, only one lizardfolk arrived, a young female named Dras-Ta hatched only within the time the Empire had absorbed the nation. The other weavers laughed at her, assuring one another they would at the very least not lose to that. It came as a shock to all when Dras-Ta weaved with perfect accuracy the pattern that had prompted the merchant to host the competition. She refused the money, asking instead that the merchant pay to send poor lizardfolk to study at the Enclave of Existence in Aloren and in exchange she would weave him more masterpieces. The merchant agreed and Dras-Ta was given the title of Mistress of the Weave, a title she will be challenged for again in 10 years when the second competition is set to be held.

Spoiler: Map of Nyroth Province
    Show

Sorry that it is small.
    The helical lines are mountains.
    The pink splotches are forts.
    The green areas are forests.
    (red=spices)
    (yellow=silk)
    (brown=lumber)
    Lime is Nyroth's lands.
    Purple is other lands.
    Dark brown lines are roads.
    Light blue stands for human population centers (cities).

Ignato Historical Actions of the Recent Age
    Round 1 Years 330-335
    Round 2 Years 336-340
    Round 3 Years 341-345
    Round 4 Years 346-350
    Round 5 Years 351-355
    Round 6 Years 356-360
    Round 7 Years 361-365
    Round 8 Years 366-370
    Round 9 Years 371-375
    Round 10 Years 376-380
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-04-27 at 11:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16789299#post16789299

Not to double post but I didn't want to clog up my info post with it but I wanted to note for the map and the main page, minerals are the Woodwind people's major import not an export.

Also, I'm pretty excited to fluff out some more of my land and people and will likely do that later tonight but I'm just curious on what all kind of control we can exert over the culture of the people? You said earlier about seeing suicide as honorable which is good for getting out of bad rolled characters and I do understand that predicament but it seems like one could make a culture that was tailor fit to take advantage of game mechanics. I'm not saying anyone is, just that the potential is there and I wanted to check and see if there were any guidelines on that before I got to work on my culture and felt tempted to skew it towards an unwritten advantage.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

For my nations history, I am going off of the assumption that the Cult of the Lord of Fire wielded political influence similar medieval Roman Catholicism. So I'm guessing my ruler and kingdom are effectively excommunicated.

Posted from Giantitp.com App for Android
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

[CENTER]Kingdom of Serendel
    TheWombatOfDoom

[Original Rolls]

Ruler: Girard Serendel

Current Stats:
    Diplomacy: 7
    Military: 5
    Curiosity: 9
    Faith: 4
    Luck: 5
    __

Original Stats:
    Diplomacy 4
    Military 5
    Curiosity 6
    Faith 4
    Luck 5

Family Tree

Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-02-03 at 04:27 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Alright, I've finished my region (except population and tech). Should I repost?
    Thank you for saying so. You don't need to repost it, I linked your earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Glad you like it. Yes, the last bit is fine.

As to the Guild masters: It is hereditary. However, when a new guildmaster comes in to his title, he must pass a test (example: the new guildmaster of the smithing guild would have to forge a sword of a certain quality). The high guildmaster position works in the same manner, except he must pass a test of political maneuvering (as the high guildmaster is the head of state). Specifically, he has to convince each of the guilds that he is an adequate leader.
    I like it. Combines monarchy with meritocracy, basically, so that only capable leaders come into it (or at least are accepted by the guilds).

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16789299#post16789299

Not to double post but I didn't want to clog up my info post with it but I wanted to note for the map and the main page, minerals are the Woodwind people's major import not an export.

Also, I'm pretty excited to fluff out some more of my land and people and will likely do that later tonight but I'm just curious on what all kind of control we can exert over the culture of the people? You said earlier about seeing suicide as honorable which is good for getting out of bad rolled characters and I do understand that predicament but it seems like one could make a culture that was tailor fit to take advantage of game mechanics. I'm not saying anyone is, just that the potential is there and I wanted to check and see if there were any guidelines on that before I got to work on my culture and felt tempted to skew it towards an unwritten advantage.
    You are in full control over the people's culture. Suicide isn't necessarily seen as honorable. The mention of suicide I made with regards to C'nor's situation was as only as a suggestion (and I noted that suicide might be honorable in the culture of his/her region, which would prevent the king's suicide from being seen as a bad thing by the people).

If people are tailoring their culture towards the mechanics too much, especially if multiple people are doing it, I'll step in and take care of that.

Keep in mind that you, the players, control what the culture is like at the start of the game, but as soon as it starts you are only indirectly in control of it by being their ruler. Random events involving the masses of peasants and burghers may well change things, especially if otherwise the player would have an unfair advantage by having attempted to game the system too much.

Taking advantage of things a little bit in culture or terrain or resources or religion or race is not a bad thing, but keep in mind to not take it too far. Metagaming before round 1 starts is alright. As soon as round 1 begins, it's forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    For my nations history, I am going off of the assumption that the Cult of the Lord of Fire wielded political influence similar medieval Roman Catholicism. So I'm guessing my ruler and kingdom are effectively excommunicated.
    A lot like that, yes. Basically, the Lord of Fire religion is a bit of a combination of sun worship, a monotheistic Sky Father, and the idea of fire being mankind's first invention, which kept them warm and safe from many predators. The Blazing Avatar is inspired by both the concept of a Pope and a Dalai Lama.

Of course, there's also a bit of a dash of R'hllor in there, cursed be George R.R. Martin.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Spoiler
    Show
    My friends! Harken to the words of Czar Demetrius VII, Ruler of the Southern Republic of Sidvarsa, and his esteemed daughter, Marquis Darlessa, heir to the crown, and ruler of the northern provinces!
    Ahem. My countrymen, welcome! This year has been a good one to our land of Sidvarsa! Our trade is going nicely, the livestock have prospered, the wheat harvest is well underway, and best of all, our famed navigator Reymond D'clou has returned, bearing evidence that our earth is indeed a globe! Is this not splendid news? [Only you care, father. The people need someone who actually listens to them.] Our republic is the most educated, well respected, and prosperous on this earth! [And yet, with such a vainglorious fool steering it, we are destined to fail.]
    Of course, as many of you already know, I have granted my daughter and only heir Darlessa possession of the northern quarter of our country, for her to rule! And a fine job she has done of it too! Why, in just a year, she has doubled the efficiency of our farmers flour production by, er harnessing the raw power of... Well...

Darlessa stepped forward, brushing her fair hair out of the way.

[What my dear old father means to say, is that I have trapped the wind, and made it do my will.]

She moved to the side, displaying a miniature windmill.

[When the wind turns this wheel, my friends, the grindstone turns as well, with no effort at all on our part, save to lay the grains of wheat beneath stone. And that is not all. Using a intricate system of gears, I have managed to utilize the same design for water! I have already begun construction of a water powered drill which will enable us to mine resources undreamed of!]

Now now dear, let's not get carried away with this all. I'm sure your toys are marvelous, but they pale in comparison to the knowledge that are earth is round! Round! The mind boggles!
    [With all due respect father, I disagree. Your discoveries do not feed bellies. Mine do, and what's more...]

Czar Demetrius VII is 47, old for a Sidvarsan, a rather plump man, his long red hair fading to grey, his bones becoming creaky, though he is still full of the fire of youth, and possesses enthusiasm in spades. His mind is as sharp as ever, and, as ever, filled with ideas of exploration. He longs to claim the moon, outlandish as it seems, and spends long hours into the night gazing at it, working in his latest madcap scheme. He is exuberant, rollicking, and careless, and though his palace is always full of the latest guests, his ears are often closed to the complaints of his people. Herein lies his greatest fault. He would willingly help his people, but frankly, he just doesn't care enough to. "Oh, they'll figure it out" he says. "The draughts not too bad. And besides, I think this moon boat of mine might really work! Would you care to stay for lunch?"

His 14 year old daughter Darlessa, born of a union of the Czar and his chief engineer, is everything her father is not, save the fact that she too is brilliant. The affairs of the people are her greatest concern, and she is forever locked away in her workshop, creating tools to raise Sidvarsa to a major world power. A slim woman, Darlessa is aging fast, even for a Sidvarsan. Her hair is already white, and her eyes are growing dim behind the shine of the silver implanted in them. Her main fault is her lack of compassion. She cares for the people, but truly, she sees them as useful tools. And one must take care of ones tools, mustn't they?

Curiosity: 5
    Diplomacy: 2
    Military: 1
    Luck: 1
    Faith: 1
    Population: 19,000
    Spoiler: People.
    Show
    The people of Sidvarsa tend to be tall, with blond or red hair, and skin tanned by the sun. Most are rather vain, and many improve their appearance by implanting precious gems in their eyes, by a process known only to them. They prefer bright colors, and tend to dress in the finest clothing they can afford. Their buildings are colorful as well, and tend toward high, arching ceilings, outdoor courtyards, and roman columns, alongside large porches and masque-like domed roofs. As a whole, the Sidvarsans are not a religious people, tending to prefer science and philosophy to blind faith. Most do respect their ancestors, however, and follow a practice of setting an extra chair at the table for family members who have passed on.
    To get into a debate with a Sidavarsan, is, some say, as difficult as trying to thread a needle blindfolded. They will argue tenaciously, and if their point begins to lose, they will switch to another, defending it just as readily. A old chestnut tells of a Sidvarsan who argued for a month that rain was dry, and at the end of the month, when his opponent finally agreed, changed tack, belittling the other man for his utter stupidity, and holding that rain was indeed wet.
    In addition, they are proud, ambitious, and somewhat aloof, though friendly. They merely consider all others "less enlightened", and pity them.
    An average Sidvarsan has about 130 IQ, though the northern and southern provinces make use of it in astonishingly different ways. In the south, whimsy theory and exploration rule the day, where as in the north, men's minds turn to machines of steel and steam, machines to serve man, and improve their lot in life. Though Sidvarsa has an astonishing amount of brilliant people, they are limited by their brief lifespan. Most only live to 30, some to 35. As a result, they mature a great deal faster, children learning to speak in several months.

Show
    The lands of Sidvarsa are rocky and mountainous in the north, with fields of wheat growing on hard ground. A great pit opens up in the earth, made visible for miles by the machinery surrounding it. Known as "Darlessa's Mine," it her current obsession, and home to her water powered drill. Her palace, in addition, is worth mention. Built to her specifications, none are allowed in without her consent, which she rarely gives. Hellish lights burn in the windows, and shrieks of pain are sometimes heard echoing from within. It is no secret that the prisoners of the northern republic enter there, rumored as test subjects. Few come out. A few whisper that Darlessa has made a bargain with a demon of some kind, but others point to her machines, and how they help the people.
    In the south, a marked change in climate occurs. Here, the land is fertile, dotted with pastures, vineries, and silk farms. A warm breeze blows in from the ocean, bringing ships from far and wide to Kaspus, the royal city. Though the palace is marvelous, a wonder of masonry and metalwork, it's huge dome glinting in the sun, the true glory of Kaspus is the The Global library of Exploration. This huge building, which appears to be a huge globe, continents and all, was built in honor of the discovery that the world was round. It holds countless maps, charts, atlases, textbooks, and tomes, as well as the headquarters of the Horizonswalkers, the Czars personal explorers and mapmakers.
    Last edited by D20ragon; 2014-01-20 at 04:46 PM.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Morph, I also changed my Heraldry (colors too similar to the Lord of Fire.)
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hmm. If there's still room, I'd love to be involved in this, since World-building is just about my favorite part of writing, and it's only more fun when it's cooperative.

I don't really have time right this second to flesh out anything at all or come up with a good name, but I probably will be able to within the next day or so.

Of course, if something happens and I don't follow up within the next day or so, go ahead and ignore this please.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D20ragon View Post
    Ok, now that I have more time, I'll flesh out my terrain, religion, and people.
    Very well-fluffed. Keep in mind though, at the start of the game you cannot have machines yet, due to everyone starting at an early Medieval level of technology. Feel free to pursue that direction of technological research, I'm interested in what you'll end up with!

Morph, I also changed my Heraldry (colors too similar to the Lord of Fire.)
    So I see. Hm, now you make me think I should just take your old one and tweak it and use it for a religious order of knights following the Lord of Fire.

By the way, the only section you still need to finish is Religion. Once you do, I'll update the second post with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Hmm. If there's still room, I'd love to be involved in this, since World-building is just about my favorite part of writing, and it's only more fun when it's cooperative.

I don't really have time right this second to flesh out anything at all or come up with a good name, but I probably will be able to within the next day or so.

Of course, if something happens and I don't follow up within the next day or so, go ahead and ignore this please.
    There's still two regions open to be claimed by new players, so feel free to claim one.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 03:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

More to be added later.

Aloren
    Show
    The land of Aloren is mostly forest. However, since a deep-seated fear of the Wood is ingrained in the minds of its people, it is on the cliffs that line its coast that its people thrive. The trees that grow here have needles and thorns, growing tall and close together. Almost nothing grows on the forest floor, for what could grow in a place with so little sun? Since so little undergrowth grows other than briars in these woods, there is minimal life on the forest floor. No human villages have been built in this forest, but tales of little folk with features of dragons, called "kobolds", stealing children in the night have been prominent in the Kingdom.

The coast is barely more inhabitable than the Wood. It consists of steep cliffs that drop to the sea, dire reefs, and tall, sharp rocks that jut from the depths. Though they live on the sea, the only resources they have ever taken from it are fish - which they cook into spectacular dishes for which they are famous. However, their main livelihood is goatherding. Almost as famous as their fish, the goats that live along the jagged coast are known around the world for their strength, their stubbornness, and, most of all, their milk. The milk of Alorenic goats tastes rich and creamy, like the ideal of cow's milk, and is their main export to the outside world, aside from furs, leathers, and copies of their most famous sagas.

Show
    The people of Aloren are considered by outsiders to be superstitious and backward. They adhere still to the druidic beliefs their ancestors held, for the most part, though the Faith of the Lord of Fire has been growing in its followers within the villages of late. Many beliefs from the Faith have assimilated into their culture, even in villages where the Faith is outlawed. This odd intake of foreign beliefs tends to bring in ideas that conflict with the more conventional druidic faith, and, as such, many leaders that pass judgement by such beliefs often find themselves overthrown by the people or repositioned by their superiors. However, one such component of the Faith has remained a part of Alorenic culture: the feudal system.

Most villagers take a small portion of the day to pray to ancestors and the druidic gods at a community shrine, and many of them make a pilgrimage at least once in their lives to one of the ancient shrines that lies at the edge of the Wood. At community shrines, they pray, offer sacrifice, hold mourning service for the dead, crown their lords, and hold other important gatherings. At ancient shrines, they are more prone to offer larger sacrifice and pray more openly, but there is rarely an important event that is held at an ancient shrine. One exception is the crowning of a king, which is always held at the Shrine of the Elder Wood.

Politics in Aloren are complex and dangerous. Each lord has many more bodyguards than heralds, and the king has enough that he requires a separate palace for their housing. This is due to frequent attempts at assassination, uprisings, and the like. When living above the rest, one must remember - the higher you climb, the farther down you have to fall.

Village life, however is simple and quaint. Most gain their living as farmers, goatherds, fishermen, cooks, tanners, merchants, blacksmiths, huntsmen, and town guardsmen, earning substantial pay and having plenty of time to relax. As a result, many villagers have learned the art of reading, a concept that was foreign to the people before the coming of the Faith. A few literate villagers become scholars or story-tellers in addition to their day-to-day jobs, but most are content to live their simple, peaceful lives.

Show
    Of all the resources Aloren has at its disposal, only one is famous enough to gain it world recognition. It is not the fish, and it is definitely not the spices. Its greatest resource is also its most abundant: goats. Alorenic goats are prized for their soft, silky fur, their thick hides, their rich milk, and their ability to live just about anywhere and eat just aboput anything. They are easy to raise and profitable to have. The Kingdom maintains a steady income from the sale of these goats and their products, and will always hold their goatherds in high esteem.

However, goats are not their only source of recognition. Aside from goats and their products, Aloren is valued for its cooks, scholars, and, most of all, story-tellers. Alorenic sagas are read all around the literate world, and even kings that ride against them will reluctantly admit that they own a vast library of these stories. Many who would ride to war with them often reconsider the value of war compared to the loss of their favorite stories (and story-tellers).

Malyn Shaeldtae
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Diplomacy:5
    Military:2
    Curiosity:1
    Faith:4
    Luck:2

Die Rolls

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Malyn is the young king of Aloren. His mother and father died of a poisoning at a lord's banquet, and he has been closely guarded ever since. Though the army he commands is relatively small and his luck has never served him notavly well, Malyn is not in want - he has never once contemplated what life is like outside the Holy City, and his faith has held fast in the twenty years he has lived. Rather than using his wit to get around the laws and codes set for royalty, he uses his force of personality to allow an exception, "just this once". He uses the same skill in the court and when negotiating a treaty. He is not the scholarly type, preferring to shoot a bow or negotiate a law than read a saga, but he openly supports his story-tellers, giving them accolades to keep their business (and his money) flowing.

Spoiler: House Shaeldtae and the Progression of Heirs
    Show

Aryn Shaeldtae - Gwyra Careth
    |
    Malyn Shaeldtae
    Last edited by Thunderfist12; 2014-01-16 at 12:04 PM.
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

collected stuff

Spoiler
    Show
    Terrain: mountains are common, with snow being a constant factor in life. Caverns are surprisingly common, including the seers caves where crystal grows and the seers say they can see the what will happen. It's all rubbish of course, but the crystal is valued as a very reflective surface for mirrors, and holds a sharp edge. In other caverns, coal is common, as are ores like tin and lead. These ores have led to wealth for whatever clan holds them. A defining feature of the area is the black wood, where most of the lumber in the Pryonic lands comes from. But the black wood is dangerous, with things made of purest ice said to guard its heart. The last important landmark is the temple of the flame, a huge temple to fire that took nearly a century to complete. It is one the most common pilgrimage sites, and known as the place where an army of heathens was defeated. This happened in the "distant past" and is likely exaggerated, but pilgrims still flock here to worship and await holy benediction.

Spoiler
    Show
    People: The people in this land are fair skinned, dark haired, and relatively short. They are fiercely clannish, but less so in recent years.

Exports/imports
    Spoiler
    Show
    Main exports: coal, crystal, flame/faith related objects.
    Main import: food(they can support themselves if they stopped mining, but that would make them poorer. They don't want that.)

Culture:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Pryonic lands are a theocratic hegemony with the Cardion clan in dominance. Herzog Cardion is the current clan master, and thus leader of all the Pryonic lands. He inherited the ashen crown fifteen years ago in a bloody bid to take power from his mad brother. In the decade and a half since, he has greatly reduced the power of the four clans, and bonded them into one great whole.

Religion: The people of the Pryonic lands are very religious and dedicated to the lord of fire and his burning avatar. VERY MUCH SO. They could even be called fanatic.

New stuff
    Armys
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pryonian armies are composed of a 6/2/2 ratio of spearmen to archers to combat engineers, who build fortifications and specialize in tunnel fighting.
    Most spearmen are armed with: Long spear, large shield, short sword, mail with light helm. They fight in primarily in the standard phalanx, but are trained to exploit any opening in an enemy line. The other formations they fight in are the wedge and tunnel fighting formation which is in essence a much tighter, thinner version of the phalanx.
    Archers function as skirmishers, and retreat behind the battle line once the close in fighting begins. They are tasked with recon and path finding, and are armed with: Longbow, short sword, leather with light helm, and two quivers with 60 arrows each.
    Combat engineers build the walls, tunnels and forts that dominate Pryonian warfare, an also function as a reserve and tunnel fighting troops. They are armed thusly: Short sword, leather with light helm, small shield, and various digging and construction gear

The Clans
    Spoiler
    Show
    stuff to come

Crystal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stuff to come

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current leader: Herzog Cardion
    Disposition: Forgiving in any place except for religion, although as long as you don't actively blaspheme in front of him he wont rip you into pieces with his bare hands, just be annoyed with you. A good man to have at your back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stats:
    Rolls: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=2992
    Diplomacy 1
    Military 4
    Curiosity 5 (4+1)
    Luck 3
    Faith 4

Children: Herzog has one son, Rogar, and a daughter, Bertra. Rogar is only fourteen, but is famous for his learning about the myths of The Lord of Fire. Bertra is only eight. His wife died six years ago, after seven years of marage.
    Last edited by Arutha; 2014-02-02 at 05:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I noticed that region 21 has not been taken yet. If I may, and if I am allowed I would very eagerly desire to handle that region.

And once given permission I would have my nation ready in the blink of an eye.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Arutha, nicely done. I like that you kept the looks of the people and their culture seperate, too.

The only thing you seem to lack is a section on religion. Once you add that into your post I'll add a link to it in the second post.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderfist12 View Post
    More to be added later.

And where are you guys getting those crests?
    Logic linked a heraldry generator earlier. On page 2, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy View Post
    I noticed that region 21 has not been taken yet. If I may, and if I am allowed I would very eagerly desire to handle that region.

And once given permission I would have my nation ready in the blink of an eye.
    With that, you've staked your claim! I look forward to your nation.

As the rush for regions has died down, I don't think I need to limit new player sign-ups much. BladeofObliviom and former Conquest players can still stake claims or request new regions, but aside from them I'll limit player sign-ups for now, at least until all players are done fluffing their regions.

Round One will start on Sunday or Monday (depending on your timezone) for those who have finished their fluff, so everyone will have had a week to finish their basics. Should be adequate.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

So I see. Hm, now you make me think I should just take your old one and tweak it and use it for a religious order of knights following the Lord of Fire.
    Fine by me!
    By the way, the only section you still need to finish is Religion. Once you do, I'll update the second post with it.
    Done. Still have to update my family tree, but my first post on page 1 and my post on page 2 were out of sync.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Fine by me!
    Done. Still have to update my family tree, but my first post on page 1 and my post on page 2 were out of sync.
    Sooo, which of the two should I be linking?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, added a crest for a bit of fluff. Can't wait for this to start.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Excuse me while I steal a template from Quintonbeck up above, then. I'll be claiming Region 21 with something that might prove just a little bit off the beaten path here.

Anyway, not quite done yet, but I figured I'd post what I have for now.

EDIT: Oh. Looks like somebody staked out a claim on the same spot while I was typing this up. Oops?

I'm gonna sit back and think about what to do on this one, since the terrain description (and everything that hinges on it as justification) suddenly no longer makes sense if I move it somewhere else.

The City-State of Ahuizartal
    Region 21
    BladeofOblivion

Ahuizartal
    Region 6, BladeofOblivion
    Terrain: Mountains, Valleys
    People: Human
    Resources: Bronze, Obsidian, Stone
    Imports: Slaves, Iron
    Religion: Full-on Polytheism
    Technologies: No additional technologies.

Show
    The Ahui Mountains are harsh to their inhabitants. The chilling air nips at the heels of all who enter, thanks to the elevation. Not a cloud hangs in the sky: The land is too far from the sea, and the wispy things that form despite this rarely survive the sharp winds of the Ahui. Volcanism offers no respite, for while the Ahui chain was active once upon a time, the last of its constituents fell dormant centuries ago. Without mercy, the sun beats down upon the land with zealous fervor.

Some men curse the brightness and rage of the sun, so amplified by the snow surrounding them and the complete lack of natural cover, but in truth it acts as a blessing: The mountains are arid thanks to the lack of any kind of precipitation, but the sun overhead helps to melt what snow there is and forces it to flow into the sheltered oases that form the base of towns and the valleys wherein most food is grown.

The Valleys between the high mountains are significantly more pleasant from an outside point of view: The winds are softer, the air warmer, and the rivers flow in from many directions. The post-volcanic soil is fertile, and the deep valleys between the towering Ahui Peaks produce a majority of the state's food.

The Xi Valley - The many valleys of the Ahui, at their southernmost points, converge into the great Xi. Their tributaries, each mighty on their own, all flow together as well, forming the Great Xi River, coursing through the valley's center and providing fresh water to all. The Xi Valley itself is home to the Fortress Xipoc, which stands guard against invasion from the South and protects the heartland valley from any who would with to slash and burn it.

The Fortress Gran -

Landmark #3 -

Show
    The men and women of the Ahui are a hardy people, bred for survival in the rugged mountains.

Show
    -

Show
    -

Spoiler: Technologies
    Show
    Ahuizartal is currently at the early Medieval stage, with no additional technologies.

Gran Chimalli, the Feathered King

Spoiler: Family Tree
    Show
    BLAH BLAH BLAH

Diplomacy: A
    Military: B+1
    Curiosity: C
    Faith: D
    Luck: E

Regions Controlled: Ahuizartal (#21)
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-01-14 at 06:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    Sooo, which of the two should I be linking?
    They should be in sync now.

Posted from Giantitp.com App for Android
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Oh. Looks like somebody staked out a claim on the same spot while I was typing this up. Oops?

I'm gonna sit back and think about what to do on this one, since the terrain description (and everything that hinges on it as justification) suddenly no longer makes sense if I move it somewhere else.
    Alright. In the meantime, shall I put down a claim for you on region 23? Or you could ask Percy if he wants to switch.

Also, note that to start with, religion options are limited. Polytheism is generally an organised religion, and so is not an option at start, but can be introduced later on. (It might even be pretty easy with people who believe in spirits, by rebranding certain spirits as gods. Alternatively, it could be resurrecting an old faith from hundreds of years ago, which could easily come out of ancestor worship.)

Hmmm, and it seems like only one player so far has a non-human race. Curious as to how that will develop.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 06:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Progress on Aloren

Heraldry: Complete

Details on Terrain: Complete
    Details on People: Complete
    Details on Resources: Complete

Character Stats: Complete
    Character Details: In Progress
    Last edited by Thunderfist12; 2014-01-14 at 06:44 PM.
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Sulvan Primarchy
    Sulvan Meritocray
    Sulvan's Folk

Region name: Sulvan's Fury
    Region: 21
    Terrain: Mountains, Valleys, Rivers
    People: Dwarven
    Resources: Coal, Iron, Mithril
    Imports: Food
    Religion: Paragons, Lord of Fire
    Technologies: No additional technologies.

"Clan, Craftsmen, Miners, Honor!"

Show
    "In a time long passed, Sulvan came to the these great mountains in search of a place to settle his people. When he arrived he found a great mountain range, covered with forests of pines, searing through the clouds and piercing the deep blue skies. But the mountain was occupied by fierce white giants, who refused Sulvan's folk the right to settle. Angered and furious Sulvan rose his hammer and struck the great mountain four times. With each strike the earth shook violently and fire began to spew into the air from the hurt mountains. Through the anger of Sulvan the mountains cracked and swallowed the white giants whole, and after the rivers of fire and trembling mountains stopped, the once great unitary mountain range had divided forever, by three great vales. All three vales came from the mountains and towards the south welcoming Sulvan's folk to settle them and their mountains, and so they did. And so they renamed their new home Sulvan's Fury."

Sulvan's Fury is home to three great valleys surrounded by great, tall mountains. In an almost pristine alpine climate and environment. The mountains are great, tall and white, vales wide and green, and lakes pristine blue. Because of the climate and soil agriculture is only present towards the southern most part of the land, farther away from the mountains. The vales are each passed by a great river flowing with crystal clarity towards the south, accompanied by lush forests of pine and alpine trees.

The western vale is called the Eneyr Vale, whom hosts the Eneyr River and Woods. The eastern vale is called Arez Vale which forms the eastern border of the Fury, and whom hosts the Arez River and Woodlands. And in the center north is the Jearr Vale, where the Idour and Faer Waterways meet and form the Jearr River, which heads down south to eventually meet the Eneyr River.

To the west of Eneyr Vale are the Draedan Mountains which form the western border of the Fury. Between the Eneyr and Jearr Vales stands the great Sulvan's Summit, the largest mountain of the Fury. Sulvan's Hammer mountain range spans from the southern most point of the Eneyr Vale all the way to the north east of the Fury, serving as the shield at the back of the Arez Vale. And lastly to the north, between Idour and Faer Waterway are the Lakr Heights which form part of the northern border of the Fury.

- Sulvan's Hammer form the tallest and longest mountain range in the Fury. Spanning from the southern most point of the Eneyr Vale it travels to the north east of the Fury, bordered to the west by the Jearr Vale and to the east by the Arez Vale.The Hammer stands an eternal vigil, piercing the havens as it serves as a shield, protecting the inside of the Fury.
    - Sulvan's Summit is the largest unitary mountain in the Fury. Situated east of Eneyr Vale and west of the Jearr Vale, this mountain dwarfs in size all others around with its sheer size, not in size, but is mass. Its great size leaves no alternatives to surface dwellers but to circle the entire mountain through either the Jearr Vale or Eneyr Vale.
    - Sulvan's Fortune is the vast great chasm that pierces the Summit, and leads into the great covered vale underneath the Summit. Inside there is the fourth and unseen vale of the Fury. The Fortune hosts its own lakes and forests, which receive their light through the great chasm piercing the Summit, allowing for its own ecosystem to thrive unhindered by the outside world.

Show
    Sulvan's Folk, singular Sulvan or plural Sulvai, are sturdy, rough but merry bunch. They are dedicated to their crafts and clan, and have little to no interest in the affairs of surface folk. They either work on the soil of the Fury gathering lumber or game, or in the underbelly of the Fury, mining or digging. After all that work however, no matter their craft, they all gather in the many taverns that dot the landscape of the Sulvai's many underground cities, and all make merry to cheer another passed day.

They have a clear view of everyone's place in their society as such the Sulvai society is formed out of Castes. The Caste system is based upon skill and merit. At the age of maturity, when a young Sulvan passes the trials of either manhood or womanhood, they are inducted into a Caste based on their passions and talents. During their lifetime a Sulvai can change Caste only if he proves the skill necessary to be as fruitful and productive as he was in his previous Caste. The only way to advance militarily, politically or professionally in the Sulvai society is by merit alone. Sulvans occupy a position of leadership only if they prove worthy of it, and once they are not anymore, they make way for the next more capable Sulvan.

A the Sulvai are a long aged folk, even more so then most Dwarves, and all strive to attain the dedication, strength and innovation of Sulvan and the Paragons that followed.

Show
    The great mountains have welcomed Sulvan's Folk with plentiful of Iron, Coal and an underbelly rich in Mithril. Unfortunately apart from game it has not greeted them with enough resources of sustenance, thus pushing them to rely of outside trade for Food.

Show
    At the base of Sulvai culture is the faith in Paragons and the Lord of Fire. Sulvan's Folk value and cherish those who came before and did great deeds, as such those Dwarves who had brought a truly significant contribution to the welfare and well being of the Sulvai are risen to the ranks of the Paragons. A Sulvan Dwarf can become a Paragon only during his lifetime, as in death, one cannot innovate nor contribute. Once a Paragon goes back to the Stone, from which all Dwarves came, they are honored by having their statue raised in the Hall of the Paragons, and are forever praised as a pillar of Sulvan society.

While the Sulvai do not pray to the Paragon, they lean on their teachings and achievements for support and guidance. However they do tend to pray to the Lord of Fire. True they do not do it in an organized fashion, nor with religious fervor, but when things are most dire they do turn to him for guidance. And as the legends tell it, Sulvan claimed that it was the Lord of Fire who granted his Hammer the power to strike down and break the mountains.

Primarch Hindal Greybeard
    Dice of Fate

Spoiler: Attributes and Details
    Show
    Age = 80

Diplomacy = 1
    Military = 1
    Curiosity = 4 + 1 (given attribute) + 1 (from round one)
    Faith = 1
    Luck = 1

Spoiler: Family
    Show
    Sulvan succession is pretty simple and forward. When the Primarch passes back into the stone, his son takes his place if he is found worthy. In case the Primarch has more then one son, then they compete in a series of non-combat challenges, that test their ability to rule wisely and for the benefit of the Sulvai. If the Primarch has no sons, then the same rules apply to his daughters.

If the Primarch dies without children, then the same rules apply to his brothers. If there are no brothers, then sisters. If there are no sisters then cousins. After that succession becomes an open challenge, non-combat of course, between all those of Sulvan Blood.

The Primarch lineage comes from Sulvan himself, as such all Primarch have been direct heirs of Sulvan. Thus all Primarchs are of the Blood of Sulvan.

Wife = Veylri Redsword - Keeper of Sulvan's Banner
    Age = 75

Son = Theoin Steelbeard - Designated Heir
    Age = 30

Daughter = Tanra Steelhair - Twin of Hanra
    Age = 20

Daughter = Hanra Steelhair - Twin of Tanra
    Age = 20

Brother = Hirdan Ironoath - Champion of Sulvan
    Age = 50

Brother = Thonek Faithsmith - Master Smith of Sulvan
    Age = 40

Sister = Regila Steelheart- Shield-maiden of Sulvan
    Age = 30

Last edited by Percy; 2014-01-28 at 12:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Alright. In the meantime, shall I put down a claim for you on region 23?

Also, note that to start with, religion options are limited. Polytheism is generally an organised religion, and so is not an option at start, but can be introduced later on. (It might even be pretty easy with people who believe in spirits, by rebranding certain spirits as gods. Alternatively, it could be resurrecting an old faith from hundreds of years ago, which could easily come out of ancestor worship.)
    Would you please?

@Religion: If that's so, I apologize; it wasn't very clear to me from the description. In case it wasn't clear from what's there so far, the planned faction was a crack-pairing cultural blend of Ancient Greece (particularly Sparta) and the Aztec Triple Alliance at its height. Thus, the planned religion would have been something along the lines of the actual Aztec religion, complete with human sacrifice, with the Lord of Fire "canonized" as a Quetzalcoatl-equivalent "Eastern King".

Of course, I think I'm actually going to start from scratch, so go ahead and ignore what's up there. I tend to start with the terrain, consider what kind of civilizations might appear there, and roll with that. Region 23 looks to consist of what might be a plateau or hills and a southern plain, so transplanting a clearly mountain-born culture there makes very little sense.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Would you please?

@Religion: If that's so, I apologize; it wasn't very clear to me from the description. In case it wasn't clear from what's there so far, the planned faction was a crack-pairing cultural blend of Ancient Greece (particularly Sparta) and the Aztec Triple Alliance at its height. Thus, the planned religion would have been something along the lines of the actual Aztec religion, complete with human sacrifice, with the Lord of Fire "canonized" as a Quetzalcoatl-equivalent "Eastern King".
    Ha! That's great. I am a fervent lover of mythology, so I was actually kind of hoping at some point there'd be someone doing things inspired by real-life legends and myths. (Be it Aztec, Norse, Greek, Egyptian, Celtic, Shinto, Hindu, Islamic, Buddhist, Native American, West-African Yoruba, Slavic, Tengri... etc. Inspired, though likely not direct cribbing.)

I'll mark you down for region 23 then.

Percy: not bad, not bad at all. Little typo on the mithril is all.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 06:31 PM.