New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Duv: "Let's enslave, push around, bully and force them into going into a very dangerous dungeon crawl. After that, I'll pervert one of their traditions and crown their chief myself instead of allowing their clan to do so. On that, I'll then choose one of them as my number two. It can't possibly go wrong!"
    Well, I see two possibilities...

1) She's trying to be nice to him now to make it easier to manipulate him later. She wouldn't actually trust him or any non-viper and is just putting on a public display because doing so furthers her actual goals.

or

2) She's an idiot.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Or she's an idiot?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Or you know... Getting close to the cheifs of other clans is a good idea.

She's already shown remorse for her son guys, remember? Just because she isn't crying her eyes out right now doesn't mean she's a moron.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    She's already shown remorse for her son guys, remember? Just because she isn't crying her eyes out right now doesn't mean she's a moron.
    Only briefly. But I think this is a deliberate choice on Thunt's part — he's showing that Duv cares more about her "destiny" than her own blood.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Only briefly. But I think this is a deliberate choice on Thunt's part — he's showing that Duv cares more about her "destiny" than her own blood.
    possible. Or maybe she realizes she's wasted too much time already with a missing wing and wants to get started on her little takeover project as soon as possible. Her very god has given her this responsibility, and now that she has the means to achive it, she doesn't have time to greive anymore.

She wept for her kin. Now its time to put the past behind her and get to work.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Why put destiny in quotations? Every teller's prophecy has come true. Dies DID die horribly. Saves a Fox DID save a fox. Complains DID complain about names.
    Perfect track record, there's absolutely no reason to think that her destiny won't come true either, nor that it will come true in a way we think it will.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Why put destiny in quotations? Every teller's prophecy has come true. Dies DID die horribly. Saves a Fox DID save a fox. Complains DID complain about names.
    Perfect track record, there's absolutely no reason to think that her destiny won't come true either, nor that it will come true in a way we think it will.
    Wouldn't Duv's name be "Leads the Goblins to Glorious Ascendancy" instead, then?
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Wouldn't Duv's name be "Leads the Goblins to Glorious Ascendancy" instead, then?
    It was established earlier that the Viper Clan's teller does not use the whole 'named after what you will do' tradition.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

A lot of these names strike me as self fulfilling prophecy. I mean if you say he's gonna complain and give him a dumb name then obviously he's gonna complain after all. As well, most of the other situations are kind of loaded so the result and events leading up to it technically happen either way(nothing Saves did wouldn't not save the fox in some way, and if Dies is a goblin warrior dying badly is a certainty).

The thing about prophecies is you can never read too much into them, since they tend to twist according to exact wording and be highly situational. Duv's plans could go to hell a million and one ways and she could die in the next three panels and there'd probably still be a way for things to come true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

There's a prophecy about a White Terror taking wing. It doesn't say "Duv will become the White Terror when she gets her wings back."
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2012-06-30 at 08:25 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

nothing Saves did wouldn't not save the fox in some way, and if Dies is a goblin warrior dying badly is a certainty.
    And if Saves had never encountered that fox? Or had chosen to ignore it entirely?

What if Dies had died a quick death? Or lived long and died of natural causes? Just because he's a warrior (not much of one, but he was in the warband) doesn't guarantee a terrible death. Let's say he takes an arrow through the heart and dies instantly. It's a death, but it's not what I'd consider a horrible one. Tortured to death by an unstoppable Dwarven paladin. Having your soul taken and being torn to pieces by a demon. Those are horrible deaths.

There were other possibilities. For both of them. And both of them ended up going down the path that their prophecy said they would.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

I mean -- with Saves, the prediction was 'on your fifth birthday, you will meet the fox you're meant to save'. While "save" can be interpreted multiple ways, the rest of it could not. A fox showed up on her fifth birthday. Unless her fellow clansgoblins went out and found a fox, and had a way to give it sunset fever...

Prophecy is most definitely a real, tangible thing in this universe. It's easy to say 'you will save a fox' will happen someday in some form, but 'you will meet a fox on your fifth birthday' isn't up for interpretation.

Also, some neat details I never noticed before:

I never noticed how Klik wraps around Saves' arm in the last two panels here. It never really made much sense how she could hold on to a pole like that with that sudden weight.

Chief's screams as he's being tortured... are in Kore's IME. That's kind of chilling.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Chief's screams as he's being tortured... are in Kore's IME. That's kind of chilling.
    No, that's definitely Chief's IME colour Kore's IME text is all silvery and cracked.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

opens mouth

closes mouth

Well the armwrap thing was kinda cool

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    opens mouth

closes mouth

Well the armwrap thing was kinda cool
    It also doesn't help as much as it seems like it would, since he's not helping her other hand that they're all hanging from. Doesn't matter if she can't drop the ladder and Dies if she loses her grip on that tooth and they all fall. Fortunately she's a real badass.
    Last edited by Marnath; 2012-07-01 at 11:26 AM.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    It also doesn't help as much as it seems like it would, since he's not helping her other hand that they're all hanging from. Doesn't matter if she can't drop the ladder and Dies if she loses her grip on that tooth and they all fall. Fortunately she's a real badass.
    I would think that a person would need to much harder to keep a pole from sliding out from their hand in the thumb-to-pinky direction than the palm-to-knuckles direction.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I would think that a person would need to much harder to keep a pole from sliding out from their hand in the thumb-to-pinky direction than the palm-to-knuckles direction.
    Which means that if there's going to be a failure, they've ensured only that she will die with them.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

18. - Top - End - #198

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Which means that if there's going to be a failure, they've ensured only that she will die with them.
    At that point, I don't know that Klik would have a problem with that, if it gave even slightly better odds that Dies would survive.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

So now Dies Horribly is cheif while Cheif died horribly...

Thats... actually a good point. It's stated that she named chief "Chief" in order to force the succession... she might have just flipped names.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    Thats... actually a good point. It's stated that she named chief "Chief" in order to force the succession... she might have just flipped names.
    Nope, because it was stated that Thaco was to become chief....

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    And if Saves had never encountered that fox? Or had chosen to ignore it entirely?

What if Dies had died a quick death? Or lived long and died of natural causes? Just because he's a warrior (not much of one, but he was in the warband) doesn't guarantee a terrible death. Let's say he takes an arrow through the heart and dies instantly. It's a death, but it's not what I'd consider a horrible one. Tortured to death by an unstoppable Dwarven paladin. Having your soul taken and being torn to pieces by a demon. Those are horrible deaths.

There were other possibilities. For both of them. And both of them ended up going down the path that their prophecy said they would.
    Saves would have encountered a fox eventually. She's a forrest dwelling goblin after all. As well, there's no real generally excepted way to die that doesn't scare SOMEONE. If you live to old age your body breaks down, if you get killed in battle your life gets cut short, if you get worked to death your body breaks down FASTER ect.

The thing is you need to be very careful about that definition. I mean heck, if Saves met that fox then just left it'd have been as if she "saved" it by allowing it to live. Prophecies work by using weird definitions and wording pretty much by default. That's how pretty much every story about prophecy gets to be the way it is, simply because inevitably a bunch of people who've heard the prophecy, even word for word, get thrown a curveball they don't like.
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

OK, again, she was told the exact date she would meet the fox, two years ahead of time.

The 'saves' part, sure, can be interpreted many ways, but not 'you will meet the fox on your fifth birthday'. This was not a completely vague prophecy that would have just come true eventually. The chances of a fox showing up on that day and having the rare disease that makes any action of hers up for interpretation as 'saving' are extremely low.

I just want to point that out. Tellers in this world most certainly do have mystical powers of clairvoyance. These are not all generic self-fulfilling prophecies. They may have more than one way to come true, but not, like, billions of ways.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-07-02 at 09:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Saves would have encountered a fox eventually. She's a forrest dwelling goblin after all. As well, there's no real generally excepted way to die that doesn't scare SOMEONE. If you live to old age your body breaks down, if you get killed in battle your life gets cut short, if you get worked to death your body breaks down FASTER ect.
    Not a fox, that fox. A fox that she would do something that could be interpretted as saving it. If she's just walking along in the forest and sees one before continuing on her way, then she isn't saving it.

As for Dies, neither death of old age or a quick but more or less clean death in battle sound particularly horrible to me. There are tons of ways to die, but only a small fraction of those are horrible ways to die.

The thing is you need to be very careful about that definition. I mean heck, if Saves met that fox then just left it'd have been as if she "saved" it by allowing it to live. Prophecies work by using weird definitions and wording pretty much by default. That's how pretty much every story about prophecy gets to be the way it is, simply because inevitably a bunch of people who've heard the prophecy, even word for word, get thrown a curveball they don't like.
    Oh, I disagree. You don't save something by ignoring it. To save something, you have to actively do something to it. To prevent harm from coming to it. To prevent it from suffering. To do something to prevent something unpleasant from happening. I couldn't, for example, pull a gun on someone, point it at their face for a second, then put it away and claim that I just saved that person's life.

I'm not arguing that prophecies don't thrive on uncommon interpretations of their phrasing, but there are plenty of things that could've happened but didn't that would've voided both prohpecies, yet the way things played out, both were fulfilled. Coincidence? Possibly, but so far, all evidence points to prophecies being a real thing in-universe.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was just going through the archives, when I stumbled upon this:

"That's no moon, that's a mace, Tayshun."

Did anyone else spot the reference there?

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

More on the subject of goblin prophecies, it was indeed true that only K'seliss and Dies Horribly will perish in that terrible place.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

When he said a few hours delay, I believed him. I should have believed the questioner, it'll probably be up tomorrow instead.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Did anyone else spot the reference there?
    Yes. Pretty much everybody got it.

There's pretty much nothing else to justify that guard's name, even in a fantasy setting. Oh well, there has been worse. Bruno the Bandit had a villain named something like Bayshon who wanted to be called Master.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    or, when she looked into the future, she saw that she would name them wrong, so she names them wrong.

or she lied about the prophecy, because she saw into the future that she would lie about it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

New page is up:

Spoiler
    Show

I can see two possible outcomes here. the former of wich i hope happens.

1. Duv uses the full extent of her powers granted to her by the renewing of her wing to utterly pwn the switchbeast.

or 2. The switchbeast ruins Duv's plans, much to the dismay of people such as myself.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, no."

"Oh, YES!"

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, I always wondered why D&D rules had rules for how many creatures could be swallowed by a larger beast. Now I have my answer!

Biscuit isn't going to take the goblins betrayal lightly. That "creature" looks like a mechanism. I wonder if there is a control room inside it somewhere...
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!