New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 7: ...Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    We still don't know what type of dagger it is she keeps in her spellbook. That might be it.
    I mentioned it in an earlier comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Because Serrin dumped wisdom and Radic has at least an 18?
    Bingo. Radic's got good intelligence, decent charisma, and excellent wisdom. Serrin's got excellent intelligence and good charisma, but her wisdom score is the second-lowest of all the members of Team Gale. This act is what I would expect of someone with high intelligence but low wisdom. Radic almost immediately sees how dangerous this spell can be in the wrong hands. Serrin will never understand until it's shoved into her face. Fir's holding the Bad Judgment Ball because she's still Serrin's familiar, and so she kinda got caught up in the excitement. Dax has a short temper and he felt Radic was insulting him and his life's work.

I was thinking more "I want to show someone this new spell I made after lots of hard work!" to "I worked really hard on this and I'm using that fact as a crutch! I'm turning a blind eye to the potential and likely consequences!"
    That's definitely part of the reason.

Also, why Serrin's so scared of Disjunction: One of her ancestors invented the spell, and one of her ancestors was de-magicked by a backfiring Disjunction. He committed suicide a few months later. In Aequar, elves are mildly magical creatures by nature. For any spellcaster to permanently lose their magical abilities is horrible enough, but for an elf it's a fate worse than death (and for an extremely magical creature like a dragon...). How many of you read that passage in Lords and Ladies about the elf getting hit by the iron?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2011-09-03 at 01:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

hmmmm....so many worlds having elves being magical-in tune people....

what if I made an elven protagonist that somehow lost that magical in-tuniness....that would be interesting methinks....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've finally managed to catch up to the most recent comic, and I really hope Serrin doesn't lose her magic. Mostly because I don't like Serrin very much, and I'd hate to imagine emo Serrin!

That said, I like all the other characters. Even if I did manage to forget that Razor existed half way through the comic.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    I mentioned it in an earlier comic.
    Which one? Or can you just tell us, please?

EDIT: Thank you.
    Last edited by McDouggal; 2011-09-03 at 09:32 PM.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    Which one? Or can you just tell us, please?
    This one. If you don't want to read it, Serrin has a +2 Spellstoring dagger.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest I am a bit tired of the Elves are more in tune with arcane magic trope/cliché/whatever; but I understand where you are coming from, and if someone you knew and probably cared a lot for committed suicide due a spell such as Disjunction I too would be scared.

Still I prefer Eberron orc and Elfs (see the spoiler to see why)
    Spoiler
    Show

Hmm now I am interested on how the Aequar population would react to the plaavan in Eberron, Orcs are druids, Goblinoid had the biggest empire seen on the continent and have a somewhat united empire, drows being tribal hunters in the jungle...hell Eberron has a country populated and ruled by monsters (I remember a mindflayer being the mayor of a town).
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    hell Eberron has a country populated and ruled by monsters (I remember a mindflayer being the mayor of a town).
    And they don't attack humans on sight! Drow do, though. And if you have orc or elf blood, either be diplomatic or bring someone diplomatic when visiting Darguun.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    To be honest I am a bit tired of the Elves are more in tune with arcane magic trope/cliché/whatever; but I understand where you are coming from, and if someone you knew and probably cared a lot for committed suicide due a spell such as Disjunction I too would be scared.

Still I prefer Eberron orc and Elfs (see the spoiler to see why)
    Spoiler
    Show

Hmm now I am interested on how the Aequar population would react to the plaavan in Eberron, Orcs are druids, Goblinoid had the biggest empire seen on the continent and have a somewhat united empire, drows being tribal hunters in the jungle...hell Eberron has a country populated and ruled by monsters (I remember a mindflayer being the mayor of a town).
    Oh, believe me when I say that the elves have some serious skeletons in their closet. You won't know what they are until later (like, sequel later), but they are pretty bad.

Serrin didn't know him, but that's the kind of thing that the whole family knows about.

If the Plavaan knew about Eberron, they would probably want to Plane Shift there en masse.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, believe me when I say that the elves have some serious skeletons in their closet. You won't know what they are until later (like, sequel later), but they are pretty bad.

Serrin didn't know him, but that's the kind of thing that the whole family knows about.

If the Plavaan knew about Eberron, they would probably want to Plane Shift there en masse.
    Elves think its so easy being evil. With their dexterity bonus and everything, and pointy ears, and ability to look like Evil-Spock...
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

What's going on in the second-to-last panel of the comic? I can't figure it out.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

This one. If you don't want to read it, Serrin has a +2 Spellstoring dagger.
    Of stabbity-stabbing.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoupLadle View Post
    What's going on in the second-to-last panel of the comic? I can't figure it out.
    A top-down view of Fir's paw holding some spell components. The yellow thing is Serrin's hair.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by SoupLadle View Post
    Remember I said that the three critical components are mustard seeds, chlorine gas, and sulfur deposits found in the Alavaan Plains? And that the sulfur is the hardest to get (chlorine gas can be isolated, although it's tricky to do)?

Fir swiped three tiny sulfur pellets.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

That was pretty non-obvious. I think you could have handled this little bit of exposition better, if the goblin is so protective over his spell (and people stealing credit for it), why he's showing it to the first random (non-monster) person he came across anyway?
    It might have been better if, for example, this was an academic showing that Serrin had gained admittance to. After all, academic papers (and presumably spells) are always peer-assessed before they're released to the public.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oppolo View Post
    That was pretty non-obvious.
    It was VERY obvious >.>

I think you could have handled this little bit of exposition better, if the goblin is so protective over his spell (and people stealing credit for it), why he's showing it to the first random (non-monster) person he came across anyway? It might have been better if, for example, this was an academic showing that Serrin had gained admittance to. After all, academic papers (and presumably spells) are always peer-assessed before they're released to the public.
    Yes, but a Plavaan wouldn't have gotten it that far without someone non-plavaan (ie, Serrin and Radic) confirming he made it. Which was the point.

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #256

yeah... I thought it was fir's eyeball, and the three spots were representing the ingredients, and it was somehow showing that fir had seen and memorized the spell.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Yes, but a Plavaan wouldn't have gotten it that far without someone non-plavaan (ie, Serrin and Radic) confirming he made it. Which was the point.
    I didn't mean he should have only shown it to other Plavaans, obviously Serrin and Radic had to see it for the story to work! I was just saying picking up a stranger from the street probably isn't the way someone would act in that situation, even if they were excited. And if it'd been explained a different way (such as in an academic showing, where the ingredients could be shown in-comic rather than explained in-forum-post), it'd be more obvious what Fir did later.

And it can't have been THAT obvious if someone had to ask. And also I didn't really get it. And neither did the person above this post.
    Last edited by Oppolo; 2011-09-04 at 11:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258

You're right, I didn't handle this as well as I could have. I'm sorry.

I've got a bunch of plotlines to work on and I'm not too sure whom I should focus on next...

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You mean the same non-plavaan he just chased out because they tried to do exactly what he wanted and help him?
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2011-09-04 at 01:23 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    You mean the same non-plavaan he just chased out because they tried to do exactly what he wanted and help him?
    Radic insulted him and Dax has a short temper. Also, he doesn't want to think too hard about what Radic said because he knows, deep down, that she's right.

I'm really sorry that my past few comics have been crappy.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    He was asking why Dax would pick out someone random in the street

Radic insulted him and Dax has a short temper. Also, he doesn't want to think too hard about what Radic said because he knows, deep down, that she's right.

They haven't been.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

The comics have been as good as ever, true there have been some details that could be elaborated on; but that is the beauty of being human (you are human right?), we can always improve.

And coffee you are mean... saying elves have skeletons in the closet making me all giddy and then you said we won't know till the sequel.... Guess I'll have to wait.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Never say that, love. Your comics are ALL wonderful. Even if one were to be a lower point, which I can't think of ANY examples of, they'd still be pretty awesome.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Banned

Let me just second that notion: Your comics are awesome, the occasional moment of confusion can not be entirely avoided. All the more since far as I'm concerned, below par for Murphy's Law is still above average for webcomics in general.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, don't get down, your comics aren't crappy. They can be improved, but so can EVERYTHING, it's all part of improving as an artist!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Remember I said that the three critical components are mustard seeds, chlorine gas, and sulfur deposits found in the Alavaan Plains? And that the sulfur is the hardest to get (chlorine gas can be isolated, although it's tricky to do)?

Fir swiped three tiny sulfur pellets.
    Sulfur is hard to come by? Not many fireballs, then.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    It's a special type of deposit; it's mixed in with other impurities. Also, I didn't read the fireball spell description.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    What Spellcaster in his right mind wouldn't take Eschew Materials at the first opportunity? Dax only needed the materials because he was literally developing it from scratch.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    What Spellcaster in his right mind wouldn't take Eschew Materials at the first opportunity? Dax only needed the materials because he was literally developing it from scratch.
    because a spell component pouch always has the necessary stuff if its not expensive?

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Barbarian in the Playground

I thought everyone had closet-skeletons? Or is that one of those things I'm not supposed to mention?