New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wreck it Ralph: Im gonna wreck it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    When I walked out all I could think of was 'But... Zangief not bad guy...'
    Well, he bad guy, but not "bad guy".
    Spoiler
    Show

Wreck it Ralph is a variation of the old Rampage games for Arcade. You know destroys buidings.
    Rampage was an arcade game where you played a lycantropic human that turned into a monster.
    There was a huge lizard, a king kong-like Ape, and huge werewolf. Sequel had rhino, mouse, Lobster.

They were fun games, but they didn't have the awesome catch phrase, "I'm gonna wreck it", plus you play Felix in Wreck It Ralph not Ralph.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only one that thinks that Vanneloppe is completely broken as racer? I mean she can teleport and avoid any and all obstacle in the game? Why the hell would you choose to play any other character? One would assume she would loose that ability once here coding was repaired...
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    When I walked out all I could think of was 'But... Zangief not bad guy...'.
    That's because of the director. The director hates Zangief because he had trouble beating him in Street Fighter II.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

So turns it the movie won't come out in my country until 12-12.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only one that thinks that Vanneloppe is completely broken as racer? I mean she can teleport and avoid any and all obstacle in the game? Why the hell would you choose to play any other character? One would assume she would loose that ability once here coding was repaired...
    Well...
    Spoiler
    Show

She can't teleport every second as the player (only off screen). You might like how the other characters look. Remember, kids aren't optimizers innately.
    It is possible she could always teleport, the broken part just made it uncontrollable.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    ..honestly, I wouldn't care all that much if Heroes Duty was cut entirely given how it went in the movie. Calhoun is easily the least developed character, the enemies are contrived and seem to only exist to set up the obligatory boss fight, and the Calhoun/Felix romance was so contrived it was kind of ridiculous.
    Spoiler
    Show

I agree. When it comes down to it, the bugs were essentially a sub plot, but treated like it was just as important as the main plot; the Main plot could have probably gone fine without it.

Not to mention the idea of a mass virus inflecting the arcade could actually worked as a movie plot in and of itself. Could have been used to work as a good sequel... Though speaking of which, i wouldn't really want to see a sequel that focused on Ralph; the arcade works as a universe with great possibilities as they can make all sorts of games to base a plot around. You can get a lot of use out of that so long as the movies don't tie themselves down to just a select group of characters and are willing to focus elsewhere. Heck, if it wasn't for her role in this movie, Calhoun could have been the main character or co-star of a sequel.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-11-10 at 03:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Depends how much control the player has.

The other racers apparently have their own little abilities to make the New Character thing more than just skin swapping, so it's not like she suddenly loses or gains anything.

As well, Vanellope is supposed to be their leader and the best one. Obviously her ability has to be one of the better ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

8. - Top - End - #38

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Man, you ever play racing games? AI drivers do that **** all the time to cheese you. Which is obviously the joke.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally, I just like the fan-theory that Felix and Calhoun have a kid: Build-it-Conagher, a.k.a the TF2 Engineer.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Calhoun's name is a reference to Barney Calhoun from Half-Life?
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

I thought the movie was good, but I thought the script could have used a minor rewrite. There were just a number of things I thought were minor problems that could have been fixed, such as...
    1) The Calhoun/Felix romance subplot seemed unnecessary.
    2) I think they went slightly overboard with making Penelope unlikable early on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3) Okay, it's established that Penelope wasn't really a glitch, and that her crossing the finish line would reset the game and fix that so she was no longer one. So they do that, and...she still has the glitch power? That contradicts what was stated, and if she's still "glitched" then the fact she's at Felix/Calhoun's wedding makes no sense because she can't leave.

It's possible that the teleportation was actually just a special ability she had built into her as her "special movie" in the race or something and people incorrectly thought it was a glitch, but it would've been nice if they had actually STATED that (and, when it was shown using it still, hadn't had the glitch effect). Considering how easy it would have been to fix this plot hole, and the number of ways they could have fixed it (e.g. just cut out that like 10-second part where it's shown/mentioned near the end), it's frustrating that it's there.
    Still, these are largely nitpicks.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-11-11 at 03:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    3) Okay, it's established that Penelope wasn't really a glitch, and that her crossing the finish line would reset the game and fix that so she was no longer one. So they do that, and...she still has the glitch power? That contradicts what was stated, and if she's still "glitched" then the fact she's at Felix/Calhoun's wedding makes no sense because she can't leave.

It's possible that the teleportation was actually just a special ability she had built into her as her "special movie" in the race or something and people incorrectly thought it was a glitch, but it would've been nice if they had actually STATED that (and, when it was shown using it still, hadn't had the glitch effect). Considering how easy it would have been to fix this plot hole, and the number of ways they could have fixed it (e.g. just cut out that like 10-second part where it's shown/mentioned near the end), it's frustrating that it's there.
    Still, these are largely nitpicks.
    Spoiler
    Show

From her dialogue, I was under the impression that during the glowy bit, she had access to the code and rewrote it so that she kept the teleportation power.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I think my favorite random reference was...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...some of the graffiti on the walls just before the villains enter Game Central Station reads "Aerith Lives"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    1) The Calhoun/Felix romance subplot seemed unnecessary.
    It absolutely was, from a narrative standpoint. But it's basically one of the rules of Hollywood that you have to crowbar a romance subplot in somewhere--they won't approve your script unless you hit two demographics, and a romance subplot is one of the few reliable ways to get a second.

Most of the things the movie had to work around were handled at least tactfully. Product placement kept getting mentioned exactly once, then avoided thereafter as anything but a plot point. Still annoying, but could have been worse.

I found the storytelling stellar; everything came together so well narratively.
    Last edited by Kazyan; 2012-11-12 at 11:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    So turns it the movie won't come out in my country until 12-12.
    Hits the UK on 15th of February! For real?
    Last edited by Totally Guy; 2012-11-12 at 12:26 PM.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Decent, funny movie. Predictable, except for one thing that did take me by surprise:
    Spoiler
    Show

When they explained that Vanelope crossing the finish line would reset the game, I thought that was going to be how they got rid of the bug infestation. The pepsi volcano was the Chekov's Gun I didn't see coming.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    They did. They actualy had a clever little slip that EXPLAINS why they look the way they do:

Spoiler
    Show

They shown that when they ate Ralphs gun, they adapted to the gun.

Its logical to assume that when they eat the candy kingdom, they became candy like.

King Candy was a flaw in the system, and glitchy. Its possible to assume his dominant personality took control of the bug thing.

I don't think that's what they were questioning:

Spoiler
    Show
    The question was why the Cy-Bugs are relentless, remorseless killing-machines that WOULD wreak havoc if let loose, while the rest of the video-game villains are punch-clock types that meet once a week (or month, I don't know how often AA-like groups actually meet) and are generally friendly, polite and even kind when "off-camera." Why are the Cy-Bugs destroyers of game worlds, while for the rest of the bad guys they're just doing their job? Even a throwaway line like "they've got crappy, incomplete programming because the game was rushed out" or something would have explained that, but we don't even have something like that to explain why the Cy-Bugs don't adhere to the same expectations the rest of the games have of their villains.

Saw the movie on Monday night and it was WELL worth it. Great character interaction, just enough foreshadowing that when the big reveals were made you went "Oh, NOW I get it! Cool!", and scenes that just tug on the heartstrings, both happy and sad. To quote Owl City in the end credits, "When Can I See This Again?"
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    The question was why the Cy-Bugs are relentless, remorseless killing-machines that WOULD wreak havoc if let loose, while the rest of the video-game villains are punch-clock types that meet once a week (or month, I don't know how often AA-like groups actually meet) and are generally friendly, polite and even kind when "off-camera." Why are the Cy-Bugs destroyers of game worlds, while for the rest of the bad guys they're just doing their job? Even a throwaway line like "they've got crappy, incomplete programming because the game was rushed out" or something would have explained that, but we don't even have something like that to explain why the Cy-Bugs don't adhere to the same expectations the rest of the games have of their villains.

Saw the movie on Monday night and it was WELL worth it. Great character interaction, just enough foreshadowing that when the big reveals were made you went "Oh, NOW I get it! Cool!", and scenes that just tug on the heartstrings, both happy and sad. To quote Owl City in the end credits, "When Can I See This Again?"
    Spoiler
    Show

My guess if I wanted to patch that logic hole would be because the Cybugs numbered in the thousands or millions. Every other video game had personalized heroes and villains - they had names, they had personalities. The Cybugs, though, were in the only game where there would have been too many enemies, none of whom were expected to last more than a few seconds individually, so they were programmed for efficiency, the minimum amount of coding necessary to serve their role in the game of 'eat, multiply, attack, die'. If the characters ever visited, say, Space Invaders, I would have expected those enemies to have a similar mono-focused maliciousness, even if they couldn't replicate the way Cybugs could.

Also...since you brought up the songs...am I the only one who found some of the music a little suspicious, in a Getting Crap Past The Radar sort of way? They all made sense in the context that they were shown/played, but "Shut Up and Drive", "When Can I See You Again"? The lyrics to these songs are PG-13, to say the least.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-15 at 08:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    They actually did explain it.

Spoiler
    Show
    The bugs don't realize they're characters in a video game because the game was only recently plugged in, and for now they have to be exterminated at the end of each session because they know nothing more than to consume and destroy. Over time, they might be more domesticated outside of actual gameplay, but for now no one's bothered to try, and for good reason since even one bug could wreak havoc on any game in the arcade.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That and I imagine animal game characters such as Cybugs are not really programmed to be self-aware and such. Therefore its harder for them to not follow their programming like others, cause following the programming is very important and its even more important when it replaces animal instinct, the soldiers meanwhile we sort of programmed to be more like humans however so its like they have an easier time of becoming self-aware that they are in a game.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2012-11-16 at 09:36 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

And we have seen different levels of intelligence anyway. Some characters being unable to speak, some others do:

Point is this universe doesn't really have a single consistent type of rule.

21. - Top - End - #51

It was..... Surprisingly great.
    I cried in two places.
    First
    Spoiler
    Show

When he smashed the car. He was crushing everything that made her special. That struck a cord with me. It would be like watching someone take your favorite and most awesome DnD character and burn it.
    The fact that he was insisting that he was still a bad guy up until and while doing so? That just sort of made it worse.
    I couldn't watch it happen. I have never covered my eyes while watching a film. Not even scary gory stuff. I couldn't watch that.

Second
    Spoiler
    Show

The last line of the film.
    That he could be a hero to just one little girl, that he was able to get through to just one person, was enough for him.
    Sure, he got through to others as well, but you get the point.

So yeah. Proof that Disney does not need Pixar to survive.
    Um, hate to break it to you but Disney and Pixar might as well be the same company these days.
    John Lasseter was the head of Pixar for years, he's now the VP of Disney.
    But hey, ultimately good news all around.

"Build-it-Conagher, a.k.a the TF2 Engineer."
    Heck yeah!
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Also as a take on the whole "Bad guy main character" thing this movie kicks Megaminds ass!

I really dislike Megamind.

23. - Top - End - #53

Also as a take on the whole "Bad guy main character" thing this movie kicks Megaminds ass!

I really dislike Megamind.
    I won't comment on Megamind, but indeed, they made the bad guy main concept work out pretty well.

Spoiler
    Show

When he's falling to the Mentos/Pop Volcano, reciting the Bad Guy Affirm from the meeting? That was a throwback I did not expect. It was odd. He was doing a good thing, yet was constantly telling himself that he wasn't a good guy or hero. It made me really think that the film was trying to suggest that there is a difference between good guy and hero and bad guy and villain. As in some larger separation between all 4, not just a dichotomy. It was an interesting subtext.

The people of Ralph's game...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was weird that the people of Ralph's game really seemed to resent him. For real, not just part of the act for the game's sake. Like their apartment building (which was constantly fixed), being wrecked was actually something that mattered. So I figured that just came down to their programming, and was a knee-jerk reaction as a result.

Also, on programming...
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm thinking they don't mention the programmers screwing up (the cy-bugs intelligence, possibly the people of Ralph's game) because they wanted programmers to be ambiguous. To make their actions and creations feel as capricious and random as people in real life.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-11-16 at 10:46 AM.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post

Also...since you brought up the songs...am I the only one who found some of the music a little suspicious, in a Getting Crap Past The Radar sort of way? They all made sense in the context that they were shown/played, but "Shut Up and Drive", "When Can I See You Again"? The lyrics to these songs are PG-13, to say the least.
    Just looked up the lyrics. "Shut up" is way too PG-13 but "When can I see you" is fine.
    Akrim.elf made my wonderful ponytar.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Curse that infernal yellowish-brown text right under comics! When shall you turn normal brown again?" -every OOTS fan ever.
    I support laziness. Call me Z if you can't be bothered to spell my full name.
    Come help build a fantasy setting!

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
    Just looked up the lyrics. "Shut up" is way too PG-13 but "When can I see you" is fine.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it in the context of being paired up with Shut Up and Drive - or I'm just a perv, but while it's certainly less explicit than Shut Up, there's definitely a PG13+ subtext going on there.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-16 at 07:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So I just saw it, and loved it to pieces.

Concerning Vanellope
    Spoiler
    Show

Remember, the other Sugar Rushers didn't say she was glitched, they were saying she WAS a glitch. She wasn't supposed to be in the game.
    And her teleport thing could be balanced, especially if she was intended as a special unlockable character, or if the other racers got their own nifty powers.

Concerning Calhoun
    Spoiler
    Show

The impression I got was that since she was programmed with a certain personality, she couldn't develop as much of one on her own.

Ralph was programmed to "Wreck It", he didn't have much in the way of dialog. The personality that developed from that remained consistent with the personality given in the game. He was a big, angry guy who didn't like being forced to live in a junkyard.

Fix-It-Felix Jr isn't a game about Ralph being a cruel person, it's about him throwing a tantrum when his stump gets bulldozed.

The townsfolk were programmed to adore Felix and help him defeat Ralph.

From the outsiders perspective, Calhoun has MORE development than the other game characters. INSIDE the gameverse, this means that she has LESS room to have her own personality.
    The Cybugs are programmed to be mindless animals, so that's where Their personality starts and there isn't anywhere it can go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    So I just saw it, and loved it to pieces.
    Concerning Vanellope
    Spoiler
    Show

Remember, the other Sugar Rushers didn't say she was glitched, they were saying she WAS a glitch. She wasn't supposed to be in the game.
    And her teleport thing could be balanced, especially if she was intended as a special unlockable character, or if the other racers got their own nifty powers.
    Reply Spoilered
    Spoiler
    Show

I doubt she was unlockable when she was one of the characters shipped with the game.
    As for the other racers, we saw one named candle who could light some of the terrain on fire/trigger explosions, and it was clear that none of the other racers could. King Candy's car seemed especially good at pseudo drifting/power slides.
    So Vanellope having a minor teleport power (aside from when she's rescuing Ralph it doesn't appear to go very far at a time) doesn't seem all that broken really.

Ess
    You
    Gee-ay-ar
    Jump into your racing car.
    Sugar RUSH! Sugar Rush!
    (If it's stuck in my head, it will be stuck in yours, bwaa ha ha ha ha haaaa)

28. - Top - End - #58

Well, I watched it.

It was good. Very good. The main charecter was a nice change of pace, the spunky not-sidekick was fun, Disney put there necromancers to work to get Ed Wynn channeled to voice the King, and Suger Rush made me crave more food just by looking at it. I mean, sweet jibblies, look at it!
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-11-21 at 01:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Ess
    You
    Gee-ay-ar
    Jump into your racing car.
    Sugar RUSH! Sugar Rush!
    (If it's stuck in my head, it will be stuck in yours, bwaa ha ha ha ha haaaa)
    Is that how it goes? I was wondering, but too lazy to actually look up the lyrics.
    Also, stuck in my head. Again. XD

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Well, I watched it.

It was good. Very good. The main charecter was a nice change of pace, the spunky not-sidekick was fun, Disney put there necromancers to work to get Ed Wynn channeled to voice the King, and Suger Rush made me crave more food just by looking at it. I mean, sweet jibblies, look at it!
    The king was voiced by Alan Tudyk, AKA Wash from Firefly. Indeed, he did a great job of channeling that old style, I totally had no idea it was him until I saw the credits.

Sugar Rush is performed by a band called AKB48. Adorable song.

Also, as noted by a commercial for Litwak's Fun Center posted up on teh youtubes, Sugar Rush is new to the arcade for the 1997 summer. Since we see a bunch of players dump a roll of quarters and say how they're trying out all the characters, it is reasonably certain that the movie takes place around that same year. For reference, Toy Story came out in 1995.
    Just thought that was interesting.