New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

so if anyone uses this thread to tell them when who is on, it is.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-09-08 at 01:41 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    As a mildly entertaining yet relevant aside:
    Not a Spoiler
    Heh, that was very cute. But what's "Dark Horizons"?
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    To continue my posting of links and not adding stuff to ongoing discussions, here's someone's diatribe on Aslyum and how Moffat is ruining Who
    Huh, they raise some interesting points, especially about things that look like continuity errors. Skaro's return was already brought up in this thread, but I hadn't thought of the bigger problem they mention, why is there an entire planetful of Daleks not sealed off with the rest of them and the Time Lords? Obviously the Time Seal didn't take as well on the Daleks than it did on the Time Lords, but still, missing an entire planet?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    I guess there's the rub. Moffat's run is interesting, in that it deals with the consequences and developments that would come out of the basics of Davies' run - but it's still based on those awkward basics. Making the best of it, maybe, or trying to. But to some, it probably feels even more uncomfortable - as not only is the Doctor still doing reckless, kinda-crazy stuff, but the veneer of heroism that Nine and Ten wore has been tarnished by the more 'real' approach of Moffat's direction. We can't pretend he's the good guy any more.
    Really? The problems with Moffat's run are all Davies' fault? As someone who generally prefers seasons 1-4 over 5-6, I disagree. Really, Moffat has issues with continuity and retcons that can be annoying at times (the Angel's two-parter for example, where the angels are almost entirely different creatures than they were in Blink), and is just as reliant on Deus Ex Machina as Davies, but his are often more handwave-y.

Also:
    We can't pretend he's the good guy any more.
    No. He's still a guy who runs around, saving the day, putting his life on the line for others. He's just can be a bit more of a jerk than some of his previous incarnations.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

To continue my posting of links and not adding stuff to ongoing discussions, here's someone's diatribe on Aslyum and how Moffat is ruining Who
    Huh. You know? I wasn't too upset with Moffet before. And now I am. Moffat!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    No. He's still a guy who runs around, saving the day, putting his life on the line for others. He's just can be a bit more of a jerk than some of his previous incarnations.
    I don't know how much of it is him being more of a jerk but rather him being more aware that he's a jerk. From the beginning the Doctor has been a major ass, from the first episode way back in Hartnell's day. If anything he has mellowed compared to the earlier Doctors. What has changed is how aware he is of it, in the past he just blew through, screwed things up, fixed some things and then buggered off into the blue. Now he is caring more about his consequences, learning more about the unintended and widespread effect he has on the universe as a whole.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

*pops in*

New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did... did the Doctor just kill the bad guy?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

For what initially seemed it would be a cheesy filler episode (Dinosaurs...IN SPAAAAACE!!), that was really good.

Really funny, but also very dramatic.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-09-08 at 02:29 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Heh, that was very cute. But what's "Dark Horizons"?
    New Doctor Who novel. Plot is alright, but the anachronisms want to make me scream with frustration.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really liked that one.

At first, gotta say, I wasn't expecting much out of this one... I was really expecting it to be kinda okay, and a bit gimmicky.

But it surprised me by being a great episode. Mostly because it concentrated less on the - almost superflous - dinosaurs, and on the interaction between the characters. I liked that the anarchic, silly pace of the first half abruptly changed when things got serious. Mark Willaims - as Brian Willams, hilariously, that didn't occur to me until the end credits - was brilliant. He really was Rory's father!

It's going to be really wrenching to see the Ponds go; they have by far the best dynamic with the Doctor of any companions I've ever seen.

I also like that Eleven, like of priors, like Two or Six, has a bit of a nasty edge to him. I don't think it makes him any less good (because Jack O'Neill and John Sheridan had an edge to 'em too, sometimes - so did Kirk and Picard (if you pushed the latter really hard) for that matter), but it does make him less like a slightly less nonviolent Batman.

Speculation:

I'm wondering whether, in the end, the Doctor will just find he's out-lived them, and turn up one day, and find, like the Brig, that timer-traveller or not, sometimes, time moves on... (I thinh this incarnation really does seem to spend more time floating around on his own that the previous ones... But I think maybe it's because for the first time in a very long time, maybe he actually feels he's got somewhere to come back too if he feels lonely.

Edit: for the record, I would like it noted that I think Moffat's run on Doctor Who is the absolute best it's ever been. I didn't often bother to watch all the filler episodes of NuWho until Moffat took over, when I ended up religiously watching every single one. (Even if the Dalek quotient is a bit lower than some...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-08 at 02:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Can't help but disagree with most of what's being said here. It's fairly obviously biased against Moffat (And I can't help but wonder about how much value can be placed on the opinion of someone who thinks "Fear Her" is a good episode).
    Well, when your blog is called "STFU Moffat", I think expecting any kind of calm, rational discussion is probably out of the question. Frankly, it's a hell of a lot more reasonable than I expected from the link. (Interesting aside - apparently someone tried to link the blog to Moffat himself, he responded that he wasn't going to bother reading things with titles like that because it would just be abuse, and the blog writer took it as vindication of his beliefs that Moffat ignores criticism. )

But on topic... I quarter-agree. Moffat is, in fact, kind of a sexist guy, in ways that were a lot more active in Season 6 than they were in Season 5. He's not a misogynist, so I'm generally able to overlook it (and also I am male and thus only offended on an intellectual and sympathetic level, rather than a personal one), but I can understand someone who's more sensitive to the issue being upset. I have at least two very sensitive friends who, while they still watch and enjoy his work, have complained specifically about his treatment of women and how they feel about it.

On the other hand, a lot of the complaints in that article range from the nitpicky to the personal taste. What this is, is more someone extrapolating the specific likings of themselves and their sister, and deciding that this is a global trend that proves their biases correct. ("My sister doesn't like the new season of Doctor Who, therefore all eleven-year-old girls don't like the new season of Doctor Who").

I don't really understand where so much of the Moffat hate comes from. Yes, River Song took a turn for the worse after Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, but on the whole the other characters are enjoyable. I like that the writers under Moffat tend to not explain every little detail, allowing the audience to come up with the answers themselves. I also feel that the series finales have, on the whole, been better under Moffat than under Davis.

Can anyone explain it?
    Davies was a very polarizing guy who had extremely strong creative control. As a result, when Moffat took over, there was a very large shift in the way the show tended to behave. Some people who really liked the original style took this new style as either a massive reduction in quality, or a deliberate attack on the original style, and got defensive.

That doesn't account for all of the dislike, of course - people are allowed to just honestly think the series has gone down in quality - but I think it accounts for a lot of the vitriol. You see it whenever shows or series develop stylistic changes, and the more rabid the fanbase the more divisive those changes become. And since angry complaints are the least likely to effect change, the people running the series tend to get defensive or dismissive, which reinforces the whole cycle.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Banned

Daemon

Review Time!

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
    Spoiler
    Show

Stuff I Liked
    Spoiler
    Show

The guest star characters were awesome! Riddel was cool. Nefi was cool. Brian was funny and crazy prepared. Solomon was an evil creep. Such good character dynamics from all these people.

Dinosaurs were good

Doctor has a Christmas list!

Stuff I Didn't Like
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Mitchell and Webb bots. No, did not like. Distracting, annoying and could have done without.

Dinosaurs could have been used a bit more. Is it me or do the raptors look like the ones off Primeval?

Chris Chibnall and Silurians. Self-Plagiarise much?

Seems even the Moffat era can’t resist having parents join in. Brian is a bit too much like Wilf.

Question: Why is the Doctor (and Amy) not keen on weapons but they never stop River Song from carrying tons in all her appearances (most notably when she massacred the Silent).

Is this the first time the Smith Doctor has killed a human being on purpose? Not sure what to think of that, although to be fair he was a creep.

Fun Fact
    Spoiler
    Show
    They changed the intro! Not too keen on it. Colours are too shaded.

Just like Chris Chibnall’s Silurian two-parter was like a cover edition of the 3rd Doctor “The Silurians”, this was a cover of the 1st Doctor “Ark in Space” (although without Monoids).

The set was the largest set in Who History, but oddly enough was only the 2nd most expensive to build. That honour goes to the Asylum of the Daleks.

8/10. Good but nothing special. Certainly memorable

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Well, when your blog is called "STFU Moffat", I think expecting any kind of calm, rational discussion is probably out of the question. Frankly, it's a hell of a lot more reasonable than I expected from the link. (Interesting aside - apparently someone tried to link the blog to Moffat himself, he responded that he wasn't going to bother reading things with titles like that because it would just be abuse, and the blog writer took it as vindication of his beliefs that Moffat ignores criticism. )
    Except they are rather reasonable about it, while one can disagree with them on things (I agree some points are more nitpickey than others), it's not all-out irrational hatred and Moffat bashing.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

So... new episode.

Spoiler
    Show

I liked it more than I expected I would. It's still silly as I expected, sometimes too much (I didn't like the robots, for instance), but it made me laugh and has some good moments.

Also, the Doctor isn't in the database anymore. I wonder where this trend of erasing him from history is going... I can't wait to discover it.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Liked it. (like there was any doubt, I like everything I see first time round)

Some responses to Sunken
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    The Mitchell and Webb bots. No, did not like. Distracting, annoying and could have done without.
    They did shut up during the more serious stuff, so I don't think they were a big drag.

I'm a bit annoyed he used Homo Reptilian to describe them again. Reptila Sapiens, while still not 100% correct, is at least in the right class.

Question: Why is the Doctor (and Amy) not keen on weapons but they never stop River Song from carrying tons in all her appearances (most notably when she massacred the Silent).
    Double standards, even pointed out in erm Day of Moon

Is this the first time the Smith Doctor has killed a human being on purpose? Not sure what to think of that, although to be fair he was a creep.
    Does not saving future Amy in Girl Who Waited count?

They changed the intro! Not too keen on it. Colours are too shaded.
    Yhea, forgot to mention that each episode this series has unique titles to fit with the blockbuster style thing they have going.

What? me not having a link in my post? impossible, have a link to the making of dinosaurs on a spaceship
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

15. - Top - End - #315
    Firbolg in the Playground

Koorly's Doctor Who Review Archive:
    Classic Who
    Spoiler
    Show
    Second Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 6
    'The Invasion' 1/8, 2/8, 3/8 part one, part two, 4/8 part one, part two, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 8/8

Fourth Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 12
    'Genesis of the Daleks' 1/6, 2/6, 3/4, 5/6, 6/6

Seventh Doctor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Series 25
    'Remembrance of the Daleks' 1/4 part 1, part 2, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4

Nu Who
    Spoiler
    Show

Season 1 - retrospective
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brief Whole Series Retrospective
    Ep. 1 'Rose'
    Ep. 2 'The End of the World'
    Ep. 3 'The Unquiet Dead'
    Ep. 4: 'Aliens of London' (1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'World War III' (2/2)
    Ep. 6: 'Dalek'
    Ep. 7: 'The Long Game'
    Ep. 8: 'Father's Day'
    Ep. 9: 'The Empty Child' (1/2)
    Ep. 10: 'The Doctor Dances' (2/2)
    Ep. 11: 'Boom Town'
    Ep. 12: 'Bad Wolf' (1/2)
    Ep. 13: 'The Parting of the Ways' (2/2)

Christmas Episode: 'The Christmas Invasion'

Season 2 - retrospective
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brief Whole Series Retrospective
    Ep. 1: 'New Earth'
    Ep. 2: 'Tooth and Claw'
    Ep. 3: 'School Reunion'
    Ep. 4: 'The Girl in the Fireplace'
    Ep. 5: 'Rise of the Cybermen' (1/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Age of Steel' (2/2)
    Ep. 7: 'The Idiot's Lantern'
    Ep. 8: 'The Impossible Planet' (1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'The Satan Planet' (2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Love and Monsters'
    Ep. 11: 'Fear Her'
    Ep. 12: 'Army of Ghosts' (1/2)
    Ep. 13: 'Doomsday' (2/2) GOODBYE ROSE!
    Charity Special: 'Doctor Who: Children in Need'
    Christmas Episode: 'The Runaway Bride'

Season 3 - blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Smith and Jones'
    Ep. 2: 'The Shakespeare Code'
    Ep. 3: 'Gridlock'
    Ep. 4: 'Daleks in Manhattan' (1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'Evolution of the Daleks' (2/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Lazarus Experiment'
    Ep. 7: '42'
    Ep. 8: 'Human Nature' (1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'The Family of Blood' (2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Blink'
    Ep. 11: 'Utopia' (1/3)
    Ep. 12: 'The Sound of the Drums' (2/3)
    Ep. 13: 'The Last of the Time Lords' (3/3)
    Children in Need 2007 episode: 'Time Crash'
    2007 Christmas Episode: 'Voyage of the Damned'

Bits and Bobs
    Retrospective - to be written later
    Why I Do Not Like Martha/Ten (This was written between my write ups of ep. 8 and ep 9)

Season Four blind bar Moffat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'Partners in Crime'
    Ep. 2: 'The Fires of Pompeii'
    Ep. 3: 'Planet of the Ood'
    Ep. 4: 'The Sontaran Stratagem' (1/2)
    Ep. 5: ‘The Poison Sky‘ (2/2)
    Ep. 6: ‘The Doctor‘s Daughter‘ Two part review.
    Ep. 7: 'The Unicorn and the Wasp'
    Ep. 8: 'Silence in the Library' (1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'Forest of the Dead' (2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Midnight'
    Ep. 11: 'Turn Left' (1/3)
    Ep. 12: 'The Stolen Earth' (2/3)
    Ep. 13: 'Journey's End' (3/3)

The Specials]
    1: 'The Next Doctor'
    2: 'Planet of the Dead'
    3: 'The Waters of Mars'
    4: 'The End of Time' (1/2)
    5: 'The End of Time' (2/2)

Season 5 - blind bar Moffat's Angels
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ep. 1: 'The Eleventh Hour' (including 'Meanwhile in the TARDIS 1')
    Ep. 2: 'The Beast Below'
    Ep. 3: 'Victory of the Daleks'
    Ep. 4: 'The Time of the Angels' (1/2)
    Ep. 5: 'Flesh and Stone' (2/2) (including 'Meanwhile in the TARDIS 2')
    Ep. 6: 'The Vampires of Venice'
    Ep. 7: 'Amy's Choice'
    Ep. 8: 'The Hungry Earth' (1/2)
    Ep. 9: 'Cold Blood' (2/2)
    Ep. 10: 'Vincent and the Doctor'
    Ep. 11: 'The Lodger' (bar the angels this was the first episode I saw)
    Ep. 12: 'The Pandorica Opens' (1/2)
    Ep. 13: 'The Big Bang' (2/2)
    Christmas Episode: 'A Christmas Carol'

Season 6
    Spoiler
    Show
    To to things this series was split in two, as such eps. 8 - Christmas episode will be liveblogged, and the first seven will be written with me having seen them before.
    Ep. 1: 'The Impossible Astronaut' (1/2)
    Ep. 2: 'Day of the Moon' (2/2)
    Ep. 3: 'The Curse of the Black Spot'
    Ep. 4: 'The Doctor's Wife' HELL YEAH!
    Ep. 5: 'The Rebel Flesh' (1/2)
    Ep. 6: 'The Almost People' (2/2)
    Ep. 7: 'A Good Man Goes to War'
    Ep. 8: 'Let's Kill Hitler'
    Ep. 9: 'Night Terrors'
    Ep. 10: 'The Girl Who Waited'
    Ep. 11: 'The God Complex'
    Ep. 12: 'Closing Time'
    Ep. 13: 'The Wedding of River Song'

Red Nose Day Specials: 'Space'/'Time'
    2011 Christmas Special: 'The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe'

Season 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    Liveblogged unless otherwise mentioned.

Ep. 1: 'Asylum of the Daleks'

Odds and Sods
    Spoiler
    Show
    Things that don't really fit anywhere.

'Good As Gold' Second Blue Peter scriptwriting competition for Doctor Who

And now, to boldly go where many have gone before. [*cue TNG theme (Such a awesome introduction)*]

'Dinosaurs On A Spaceship' (season 7a, ep. 2)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to episode two, written by Chris Chibnall. Things I know about this episode: Queen Nefertiti. Also: my mum, being a ridiculously big Potter fan has kindly informed me that Rory's dad (glee!~) is Mr. Weasley.

Well, at least I can be sure that Rory's dad knows the function of a rubber duck. I will also be calling him dad throughout because Mr. Williams is very long, and also sounds a little too like Mr. Weasley and I may get confused having only just found out the above Potter fact.

Hey wait. In 'The Shakespeare Code' (aired 2007), and assuming that season three was basically set in 2007 the first five films had been released. I have now decided that Rory's dad (who I've wiki'd to find out is called Brian Williams) is the Whoniverse's equivalent of Mark Williams (Mr. Weasley). This allows Rory's dad to also be Mr. Weasley and not break in in-universe continuity.

So yeah. I am looking forward to Rory's dad. Wonder how many CMOAs he'll have.

On with the show.

No, actually I'm watching the adverts again, and they're airing the David Bowie Strictly advert. I hope it always airs this time. Love. It. Mostly the song, but hey.

Egypt 1334BC and Nerfertiti's manhandling the Dorktor and assaulting/flirting him. And sniffing him. And then I think she groped him before he ran off to the the future.

The C24th to be precise, Indian NASA?

D: "People usually stop me when I'm riffing", true.

D: "Oh dear, I liked you before you said 'missiles'" And Nefi.

1990s? LESTRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUDES. LESTRADE IS IN MY WHO! HALP! CROSSOVERS :D

Also, RORY'S DAD!

Rory can travel throughout time and space and all over the universe killing Cybermen and he can't fix a lightbulb. And then abducted Dad.

Also: that dinosaur spaceship is pretty cool.

Dad: *drops light, engages WTF face*

Also the Dorktor pulls the best embarrassed face in the world. "Oh that's my mistake then, hello Brian, how are you? Nice to meet you."

Dad: "I'm not entirely sure what's going on." Yeah. Lil bit.

Also, it's been ten months since the last episode. "And hello Pond." *hugs* "Ten months."

Oh Lord. "Not really had a gang before, it's new." Bit insensitive to: all pre-Ponds Companions AND! LEstrade and co. Yeah, I'm more excited about Edwardian era!big game hunter!Lestrade than the second most famous Egyptian queen. Sue me.

D: "Run! [...] I know. Dinosaurs. On a spacehip!" *nerds out*

Seriously, that new intro is so very oversaturdated.

Also: ankylosaurus'. And Lestrade wants to knife one in the throat. Crocodile Dundee he is not. 'Course th dorktor says no because dinosaurs on a spaceship.

R: "Okay. How? And whose ship?"

[...]

Dad: "Don't be ridiculous [...] the dinosuars are probably just passengers." And then Rory and his dad -

Majel (the computer) just transported the Dorktor

ARTHUR C CLARKE REFERENCE AND THEN DAD FREAKED OUT BECAUSE HE'S ON A (CLEARLY WELSH) BEACH AND SECONDS BEFOREHAND WAS ON A DINOSAUR INFESTED SPACESHIP-

I think I was right about it being a Welsh beach. But it is humming though. Rory's dad: "What sort of man doesn't carry a trowel?"

Dad: "Put it on your Christmas list."

R: "Dad I'm thirty-one I don't have a Christmas list."

*form miles away* D: "I DO!" Of course he does.

THEY GOT SOME OF THE QUEEN'S TITLES RIGHT.

Also, Lestrade just walked over a baby T-Rex. A: "Just, don't wake the baby." Lestrade steps on something crunchy and the baby stirs. Repeat: E STEPS RIGHT OVER A BABY T-REX'S HEAD.

LESTRADE IS BADASS. THEN AGAIN, HE DOES HANG OUT WITH SHERLOCK ALL THE TIME, SO OBVIOUSLY HE IS. OH, AND HE HUNTS BIG GAME.

Dad thinks "I have literally no idea what he's saying." It's a green spaceship. Hydroelectricity. Oh, and the kestrel from earlier?

Pterodactly.

D: "On any other occasion I'd be thrilled. Exposed on a beach, no." So they run. Aaahhhh,m I've missed the running. And this is so clearly Wales. Or possibly Sou -

RORY'S DAD JUST HIT A PTERODACTLY IN THE FACE WITH A TROWEL BECAUSE IT BIT HIS SON.

Rory's Awesomeness is inherited from his father! And the mechnical noises are robots. A bit 40k -ish.

DAVID MITCHELL.

XCUSE ME WHILE I GO DIE! He's one of my favourite comedians!

Chuckle brothers reference? That'll go over the head over everyone foreign, under ten and over fifty. Oi. This Majel's a dude. A British dude. And I'm glad to see percussive maintenance works on . . . is that a frilled Silurian?!

Yes it is.

And David Mitchell just told the Dorktor, Rory and Dad that they're going to sit on the naughty step.

ROBERT WEBB?! WELL OBVIOUSLY ROBERT WEBB.

And there's the triceratops that the Dorktor rode in that preview. D: "Hello Cutie Pie" The triceratops is sniffing Dad's

D: "You don't have any vegetable matter in your trousers do you?"

Dad: "Only my balls."

*aside glances galore"

2ad: My golf balls." Rory face palms and then Dad plays fetch with the triceratops.

Noah's Ark with dinosaurs.

N: "Only an idiot

UST with Neffie and Lestrade.

A: "Please stop flirting. I will not have flirting Companions." I just died from hypocrisy overload. Wait. Amy is the Dorktor in this trio. She's being a clever sod. There's another spaceship in the middle of the Ark and that ship killed the Silurians.

HELLO VILLAIN! Are you a comedian or a traditional British villain? Certainly snobby enough. And the Dorktor was Hands 3 and 4 in the Fantasia. Hello second Old Testament reference. Solomon indeed.

Look, you're the villain because you're not a Silurian, shame that the Dorktor doesn't know that just yet.

HA! Solomon (who looks like a five o'clock shadow'd, less Mexican Khan) thought the Dorktor was a Doctor. I'm sorry, but he's a TIme Lord, not a Doctor. Look, this is cool because Star Trek's forty-six today!

Oh, and Brit!Khan just had Dad sjhot. R: "I will take you apart cog by cog and [sth] by [sth] when this is over." Oh, and Rory is such a Medic. Literally, he carries a health pack on him at all time.

And before I got distracted by Rory's "awesome nursing skills" (SO TRUE) the Mitchell!Bot

Oh the Dorktor did figure it out. "I'm a Saggitarius. Probably." Huh. So he was born in November. Probably.

Banter, banter, look me up, he doesn't exist. D: "That's me. I'm worthless." Aaaawwww. And then Rory gives the phone to the Dorktor for info-stuff.

Huh. Amy's been relegated to COmmunications/Engineering. Poor Uhura/Scotty. Oh, and Brit!Khan did murder all the Silurians because dinosaurs are ridiculously rare, like extinct rare.

Aesop about endangered creatures. And Brit!Khan is a bit thick because he couldn't change a pre-programmed course so he's "a prisoner on the ship you hijacked".

Thought: Maybe Indian NASA is Indian UNIT.

B!K: "You want [the dinosaurs] for yourself. You won't profit from me." Well that's a rally stupid thing to say to the Dorktor.

THE BOYS ARE NOW RIDING A TRICERATOPS. WELL, TRYING. D; "How do you start a triceratops?!" By throwing golf balls apparently.

Really good animatronics too.

D!Bot: "They've stolen a dinosaur."

R1Bot: "I can see that."

How do you steer a triceratops?!

And does this mean Mitchell and Webb are villains? My brain is boggled.

Dad: "I'm riding a dinosaur on a spaceship! I only came around to fix your light!" Just another typical day for a Pond/Williams. And the triceratops caught the ball too.

Is it wrong that I think Indian!UNIT!NASA Lady is - oh, Indira (bit racist that?)

LESTRADE just modded some stun guns from bits and bits.

A: "No, I'm Rory's Queen. Wife. [..] I'm his wife, don't let him

EXCUSE ME WHILE I SHIP LESTRADE/NEFFIE. Lestrade is such a manly man. And a "walking innuendo".

THE ORKTOR KISSED RORY! HAPPY DAYS! NO WAIT -

My ships are crashing into one another I don't know what to do now.

The Dorktor called Mitchell and Webb "tantrum machines".

B!Bot: "WE DO NOT HAVE TANTRUMS!"

CREEPY THINGS INCOMING. BRIT!KHAN WANTS THE DORKTOR TO SELL HIM NEFFIE! do not want. And neither does the Dorktor.

R!Bot just shot Cera! *cries* Cera was such a cutie.

And made of some seriously good robotics.

Angry Dorktor claps. "You must be very proud." The Dorktor has his angry face on very much. And the Girls Plus Lestrade are now here.

Is Neffie waring a 'chainmail' sweetheart top? She is. That's quite hot. And Neffie's being awesome selling herself into slavery. AKA lying.

N: "NEver touch me."

HE JUST LAID HANDS ON HER. B!k "I like my possessions to have spirit. I like to have fun breaking them." DO NOT WANT.

CREEPER IS CREEPING UP MY WHO. IN A RAPEY WAY.

Hello Eleven's theme! Badassery is incoming and the Dorktor had a plan. And the Dorktor's treating Rory as a complete and total equal. Well, until he tells Rory and his dad to "get rid of the cobwebs".

Oh, and is Lestrade's actual name a shout out to Voldemort or something? Look, I literally only just heard his actual name.

Oh, CG velociraptors in a scene vaguely Jurassic Park-like.

D: "BRIAN POND YOU ARE DELICIOUS."

Dad: 2I'm not a Pond."

D: "Of course you are."

That's right dudes, Rory and his dad are saving the dinosaurs and the ship and earth by flying a Silurian ship . . . behind the moon? Iunno. And it was Dad's idea too! Total badass!

And there's some stuff about Amy being resentful about the Dorktor taking longer and longer between visits. And he gives her a peck on the cheek.

D: "Oh no, never [leave you]." You'll be the end of me."

A: "Or vice versa." FORESHADOWING THAT I DO NOT LIKE Neither does the Dorktor.

Lestrade: "A gun in my hand, a beautiful lady by my side, I'm about to be blown up" (Also dinosaurs) "Never been happier." I know he's a misogynist, but he's such a happy, trigger-happy stungun-wielding maniac from the very early C20th! You can't not love Lestrade.

Also, Dad's so happy about doing what he's doing.

Also th Dorktor killed Mitchell and Webb. And Neffie disarmed Brit!Khan and is holding a gun(?) at his throat. Feminism! No really, "I am not your posession." Okay, yeah, but still.

And the missle lock is now on Khan's ship which is flying off into . . .the sun and blown up as the villain screams "DOCTAAAAHHH!"

Oh, and Amy and Lestrade successfully stunned an entire herd of velociraptors.

Dad: "About [travelling around], there's something I want to see." OH THAT IS SO COOL. AND HE'S DOING IT WHILE HAVING A CUPPA AND A SARNIE. Also, total reference to that season five trailer with Amy flaoting around in space. Just sayin'.

And Neffie/Lestrade is canon as she ***** a stungun in the heart of the African Savvanah. I told you they were USTing together!

R: "You know what, I think it is the fitting." Love how they can go on a silly adventure in the C24th involving dinosaurs on a spaceship and then return to the mundaneness of lightbulbs.

And the Dorktor just sent an awesome postcard that, yes, i do want.

Scream Out!

Preview Thoughts: More Bible quotes? And The Gunslinger looks a little like Kryton. Also explosions.

Best Moment: This is legitimately difficult. I shall return. The vast majority of the episode if I'm completely honest. The riding of the triceratops, Amy and Lestrade facing off against a horde of velociraptors, that ending with the postcard and the watching of Earth.

For a cheesy concept this was actually very good and a good fun romp.

Worst Moment: This is also legitimately difficult. I shall return.

After giving it some thought, and dithering about before writing my Overall Thoughts? I think I have to say that for all that I do like Neffie she also really confuses me. A lot. I get that she's an assertive Queen who was revered as a Goddess/other complicated things, but she was kind of militantly aggressive and feminist.

To the point where I think her surrendering herself to Solomon (while being in-character to a certain extent - Queens/complicated other jobs etc.) is kind of skeevy and uncomfortable because . . . I don't know.

It just feels wrong, and not in the wrong in the intended fashion - the whole slavery, the explicit future torture, the implied rape - but it just. I don't know.

Actually, I must go amend another category.

Best Actor: Rory's dad! Also Lestrade! They just made me really happy to see onscreen. Lestrade was a perky man who was having the time of his life, and Rory's dad sort-of out-smarted the Dorktor a little bit, and was just endearingly earnest. I mean, you can see where Rory gets his adorkableness from. And the badassness.

Worst Actor: Emmm. Head of Indian NASA. She was a little wooden. Pretty though. Really it's just that I don't think there was a worst actor in our main cast.

. . .

NEW CATEGORY! Was Not Expecting This: Aside from the obvious, Mitchell and Webb as villainous robots. They were also rather underused. Especially Webb as he had, what, two lines? They also were just playing themselves which leads me to conclude some clever sod deliberately downloaded Mitchell and Webb personalities into the robots.

another amendation: Neffie is really inconsistent. As mentioned above she's really militant in a kind way that reminds me of The Simpsons parodying burn-your-bra radical feminism.

I understand that as co-God/complicated things (it has to do with the whole Amarna Period under the 'heretic pharaoh' (look at me, total nerd)) this is her natural arrogance from literally being above all others in every way and not held liable to anyone except perhaps her husband, but it doesn't really fit?

She's cool, and I like that it was her and not Cleopatra, which makes her a little more obscure. By about three percent. And I did like that 1334BC was a legitimate historical date with relevance to her, but she kind of see-sawed for me. She was also fairly extrenuous as a living macguffin girl, and I really didn't like her she groped the Dorktor early on.

Best Special Effect: All the dinosaurs except the velociraptors because they were a bit too fake. Oh, and that shot of space from the TARDIS door was just beautiful.

Worst Special Effect: The velociraptors looked a little fake compared to the others. And the other effects in general actually.

Most Punchable Character: SLAVE TRADE IS ALIVE AND WELL IN THE C24TH AND I DO NOT LIKE IT. Although I suppose it may be more human trafficking/prostitution. Which is also very bad. And the threat of "breaking"? Abuse. Yeah, I really do not like Solomon.

Death Count: One triceratops, two robots, Brit!Khan and untold numbers of SIlurians. Although technically that was before the Crew found the spaceship.

Kink of the Episode: LESTRADE. He's an Edwardian game hunter, who also happens to be a silver fox and a trigger happy testosterone overflowed happy man. And a genius too. I mean he did create stun guns from future tech. AND a total badass who was ecstatic to be facing a good half dozen velociraptors with virtually untested weaponry on a spaceship five centuries into his future that is about to explode.

Overall thoughts?
    As expected from an episode titled 'Dinosaurs On A Spaceship' this was almost entirely a fun, happy romp; and honestly, that's kind of all I wanted from this episode because of the ridiculous premise.
    Lestrade was a total surprise, and I think he might have been the highlight of the episode along with Rory's dad.
    He was just so happy! And Rory's dad was so earnest and endearing and putting so much effort into this Completely Unexpected Event. His relationship with Rory was believable and adorable, and that scene with the medipack was full of 'dawwwws. Similarly, all the moments where Rory was embarrassed by his dad were very realistic.
    There were those surprisingly dark moments (Amy talking about the Doctor being the death of her) and the Doctor basically snapping after Brit!Khan killed Cera, but they did fit for the most part in the flow of the episode. What Amy meant as a joking remark the Doctor took seriously because he truly cares about the Ponds; and the other is frankly, very Doctor him going overboard to make a villain pay for his crimes.
    Neffie made me feel awkward about things, but as she (and Amy and to a lesser extent Lestrade) had a little less screen time than Our Boys I'm kind of okay with her.
    I'm not sure about her 'feminism' though. Actually, I don't think I should call it that, that reductive. I'm not sure about her aggression, it just seemed too much somehow. And in an episode with a walking innuendo in the form of an Edwardian silver fox and big game hunter who claims his happiest moment was shooting dinosaurs on a spaceship about to explode while standing next to Amy Pond that's saying something.
    Also, Mitchell and Webb. Genuinely surprised. Bit out of place, but somehow I think they worked a bit. Affable robots who just so happened to have enou9gh fire power to kill a spaceship full of Silurians and kill a triceratops nearly point blank. You weren't expecting robots who sounded like them to do something like that, so it did work. If you know what I mean.
    Now if you don't mind, I'm off to go stalk iPlayer so I can watch Lestrade again.

EDIT:
    Yes, the more I think on Neffie the more I find her offputting and a bit unsettling. She's just too much. And remember 'Asylum' where I mentioned something related to feminism in some way? Maybe SG and things?
    Amy is a feminist character. Donna is a feminist character. River Song, Idris, Mme. Kovarian, all of them. CHARACTERS FIRST, WOMEN SECOND.
    So when you have Neffie running around sort-of being feminist and confusing it feels off.
    Maybe it's just me and my odd training in literature and stuff, but I don't think I like her even though I like her actions?
    SHE IS VERY AWKWARD TO ME.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2012-09-08 at 03:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

New Episode

Spoiler
    Show
    *eyeglow twitch*

*eyeglow twitch*

Oh, seeing Curly's review reminded me of the one fact that got -1000000 points for this episode, an absolute cardinal sin that the BBC, of all places, should NOT have made:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PTERYDACTYL!

There never HAS been and there never WILL be!

Those were Pteranodons which are a species of Pterosaur of which Pterydactylus is a small, pigeon-sized species of!

Seriously, I literally knew this at the age of FOUR, enough to correct a school video (that was appalling, it not only commited the above sin, but gave the Pteranodon TEETH. Y'know, the creature who's name means TOOTHLESS WING.)

I'm going to ultra, mega generous, and assume that the Pteranodons were merely being territorial, since the Doctor, Rory and Brian were not, in fact FISH, which is what Pteranodons actually ate. As four-year old Bleakbane could have told you NEARLY THIRTY YEARS AGO!

I expect that level of uneducated idiocy from the SyFy channel, not from a television company that has MADE DINOSAUR DOCUMENTARIES. I am deeply inclined to demand to the BBC that send Sir David Attenborough round to Chris Chibnall's house, so that out great knight of natural history, can, with great cerimony, smack the latter upside the head.

I can't believe I almost let them get away with that!

I will grant them the fact that they actually managed to get me to forget that outrage until brought up afterwards, though, so that is quite a feat all in itself...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-08 at 03:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So, the Doctor has killed. For the second episode in a row. I think the writers are going a bit "violence is the answer" bs that the Doctor is supposed to be the anthesis to. Certainly disapointed.

Episode was good though.
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2012-09-08 at 03:23 PM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Spoilery-comment
    You might want to spoiler the above for the sake of them as will not have had chance to see the episode just yet.

Edit: Cheers.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-08 at 03:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, the Doctor has killed. For the second episode in a row. I think the writers are going a bit "violence is the answer" bs that the Doctor is supposed to be the anthesis to. Certainly disapointed.

Episode was good though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not even new Who has really been anti-violence, never mind the old Who (throwing people out windows, guns errrrrywhere, blowing places up, 4th Dr. just snapped a guy's neck & treated it like nthing, etc.). Only Tennant has been a vocal pacifist, and even he was a bit of a violent git when he needed to be.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    New Episode

Spoiler
    Show
    *eyeglow twitch*

*eyeglow twitch*

Oh, seeing Curly's review reminded me of the one fact that got -1000000 points for this episode, an absolute cardinal sin that the BBC, of all places, should NOT have made:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PTERYDACTYL!

There never HAS been and there never WILL be!

Those were Pteranodons which are a species of Pterosaur of which Pterydactylus is a small, pigeon-sized species of!

Seriously, I literally knew this at the age of FOUR, enough to correct a school video (that was appalling, it not only commited the above sin, but gave the Pteranodon TEETH. Y'know, the creature who's name means TOOTHLESS WING.)

I'm going to ultra, mega generous, and assume that the Pteranodons were merely being territorial, since the Doctor, Rory and Brian were not, in fact FISH, which is what Pteranodons actually ate. As four-year old Bleakbane could have told you NEARLY THIRTY YEARS AGO!

I expect that level of uneducated idiocy from the SyFy channel, not from a television company that has MADE DINOSAUR DOCUMENTARIES. I am deeply inclined to demand to the BBC that send Sir David Attenborough round to Chris Chibnall's house, so that out great knight of natural history, can, with great cerimony, smack the latter upside the head.

I can't believe I almost let them get away with that!

I will grant them the fact that they actually managed to get me to forget that outrage until brought up afterwards, though, so that is quite a feat all in itself...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I felt that it should have been a moment for the Doctor to stop all the running about and panicing for a second in order to correct him. And entertaining little 30 second bit until Rory reminds the Doctor that there's a flock of pteranodons heading for them.

21. - Top - End - #321

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    If the Doctor hadn't shown up, Solomon's ship was still going to get blown up by those missiles. So basically he just refused to save Solomon, who would be trapped on that ship anyway if the Doctor hadn't got him out of that life support under threat.

Tennant's supposed pacifism always seemed more like "I can't be bothered to kill individual enemies since they'd die anyway when I blow everything up at once".
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2012-09-08 at 04:18 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

Daemon

Androgeus
    Spoiler
    Show

Future Amy doesn't count. He still saved Amy. And he didn't blow her up.

Homo Reptillia has always been the Silurian name.

Do find me or quote that double standards bit. I'd like to know exactly what was said. I plan to re-hash my criticisms of Day of the Moon more articulately and with the hindsight of WORS

Curly
    Season 3 is set in 2008.
    You may want to go up aroun page 9/10. I left you a message including a couple of requests for the distant future.

Moffat Hater Girl
    I don't see Moffat being sexist. If anything, like Curls pointed out, his characters are strong role models. Although I have noticed the trend in Feminist bad-asses in his reign (River, Liz 10, JLC etc). I certainly ain't getting subliminal messages of the male supremacy. Remember, Rusty was a homosexual. He may have had a different take on Gender. Also a lot of his women were shrill nags (but still positive and plucky). Although I am not saying that was his homosexuallity talking.

I'm going to pass judgement on Amy and Rory's quick split until their retirement and I have the whole arc.

I do agree, Mels was cramed down.

I never considered Rory Pond: Abusive Husband before. But Amy was being unreasonable. Oh that reminds me, Rory needs to have a better partner so he can be the big strong man holding the ladder. DIVORCE!

To be fair, it does feel squashed. But in some ways that's a good thing. Stops you from noticing the plotholes. I certainly find it hard to follow Day of Moon.

In Space all the time eh? Hey Rusty, stop using London and Cardiff all the time!

Fear Her wasn't that bad. It just suffers from two factors. One, the script was written last minute after a deal with Stephen Fry as script writer fell through and Two, Executive meddling put in the Olympic tie-in. The Chloe scenes were cool, with the father being one of the only who monsters I am scared of. Plus, you may like it if you were a life on mars fan.

I hate River’s end too, for different reasons. See the narration is River saying that “everybody lives”. This is not only a callback to Doctor Dances (Self-Plagierise) but also destroys the metaphor of that scene. 9’s life was filled with death, and this was his happiness and healing. Plus it was “just this once, everybody lives”.

Daleks reproduce asexually

Insane Daleks destroy other Daleks.

Maybe the Daleks have tried seeding other planets with spores. Maybe it’s impractical.

You know, this actually inspires me to find some 11 year olds and see what they think about Dr Who under Moffat. Maybe Moffat’s making the Cartmel Flaw. Maybe he’s trying too hard to appeal to us, the hard-core fans and not the general public.

That is all

Finally, No Thufir! Shame, I like locking wits with him.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe the Daleks have tried seeding other planets with spores. Maybe it’s impractical.
    My main theory on this one is that there's some form of treaty banning the use of nanotechnological weaponry, for much the same reason as most of the more unpleasant weapons are banned today. Same probably applies to going back in time to erase your opponent's ancestors. (See the Time War for details of why this is a bad thing. I'm of the belief that it was the actions of the Time Lords under the 4th Doctor that started the Time War in the first place)
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-09-08 at 05:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

My main theory on this one is that there's some form of treaty banning the use of nanotechnological weaponry, for much the same reason as most of the more unpleasant weapons are banned today. Same probably applies to going back in time to erase your opponent's ancestors. (See the Time War for details of why this is a bad thing. I'm of the belief that it was the actions of the Time Lords under the 4th Doctor that started the Time War in the first place)
    Why would treaties stop the Daleks from doing anything? I think genocide on a galactic scale is also frowned upon, but that's not stopping the Daleks from doing their thing.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I don't think the Daleks have that much use for treaties.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Best description of episode from someone on facebook,

Spoiler
    Show
    Enjoyable cheese. Reasonably well-known British actors doing silly things with bad special effects; everything Who should be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #327

Finally, No Thufir! Shame, I like locking wits with him.
    Two and a half hours. Is it that important that I must comment immediately?
    Anyway, I like seeing other people's thoughts before I post my own.

OK, going back a bit first:

Anyway, I said I would deliver the continuity error I found.

In closing time, Amy is revealed to be a model. One would think this would happen after the God Complex. Wrong. Closing Time is set on 19th April 2011, 3 days before 22nd April 2011 (the date when the Doctor got shot). To reach the Doctor, Amy and Rory transported themselves to USA by conventional means, no time travel involved. You would think that Amy's career would be mentioned or she would have told the Doctor and River "Hey, I'm a model". She does not mention or hint at this, even implying she's living a normal life. Furthermore, Amy is a ganger by that point. Which means the ganger would have been the model at some point, which is creepy. But there's more. Amy was on bill-boards and had a million dollar deal and vanity brand perfume. I find it hard to believe she did so in 10 months from June 2010, although it can be done. I bolded perfume. This is because in Doctors Wife, Rory is unaware what a petrichor is. You would think he'd know a bit about perfume or Amy's job would be referenced. It is not. The answer is obviously "they forgot, the writer, Amy, Rory all forgot". I know, but it's weird.
    Hm. Yeah, if you're right about the date of the episode, that's a pretty grievous error. I always assumed that episode took place at least several months later, because otherwise Amy being a model made no sense.
    (Though, there would've been nothing creepy about the ganger being the model)

We totally have. The Silent are in possession of the Necron TARDIS's. Also in 1969, the Silent in the Toilets told Amy to tell the Doctor "that which he must not know", ie his death. Which hadn't happened yet.
    Additionally the Tesselecta is contemporary to the Silence and has time travel, and the whole point of the "Silence must fall" thing is that they are aware of the Doctor's personal future. Given he's a time traveller, that suggests they have some definite knowledge on the subject.

Huh, they raise some interesting points, especially about things that look like continuity errors. Skaro's return was already brought up in this thread, but I hadn't thought of the bigger problem they mention, why is there an entire planetful of Daleks not sealed off with the rest of them and the Time Lords? Obviously the Time Seal didn't take as well on the Daleks than it did on the Time Lords, but still, missing an entire planet?
    Simple answer - the Time Lords didn't know about the Asylum. The all made the same (perfectly reasonable) assumption the Doctor did about it. And since the Daleks in the Asylum couldn't escape, obviously it never came to their attention.

Really? The problems with Moffat's run are all Davies' fault? As someone who generally prefers seasons 1-4 over 5-6, I disagree. Really, Moffat has issues with continuity and retcons that can be annoying at times (the Angel's two-parter for example, where the angels are almost entirely different creatures than they were in Blink), and is just as reliant on Deus Ex Machina as Davies, but his are often more handwave-y.
    Angels are still the same, we just know more about them now.
    And,
    Really? Moffat, who tends to establish the means of his resolutions, be they Dei ex Machina or not, properly in advance, is "more handwave-y" than Russell T "It works because the Doctor/Master/Dalek is clever" Davies?

Frankly, pretty much everything in that blog post evinced a reaction from me along the lines of "Why do I need to explain this to you?" Or just a flat "No." I can acknowledge the thought which clearly went into it, but I consider it seriously misdirected.

Now, new episode stuff:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I'm wondering whether, in the end, the Doctor will just find he's out-lived them, and turn up one day, and find, like the Brig, that timer-traveller or not, sometimes, time moves on...
    I don't think so. The Radio Times preview bit for The Angels Take Manhattan had a quote from River, saying something like "Don't let him see you age. He hates endings."
    He's not going to turn up and find he's outlived them. He's going to turn up and find they're getting old.

Review Time!

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
    Interestingly, I basically agree with everything you liked, and disagree with almost everything you disliked.

Hilarious, good comic relief, did not detract from the episode, and gave us a convincing reason for why the Doctor's enemies can't shoot straight for once.

Dinosaurs could have been used a bit more. Is it me or do the raptors look like the ones off Primeval?
    Maybe, but that might have skewed the balance of the episode away from its plot. And I don't care if they looked like the ones from Primeval. Why does that matter?

Er, no? Silurians are established, and they make sense for a reason as to why there are dinosaurs on a spaceship.

Seems even the Moffat era can’t resist having parents join in. Brian is a bit too much like Wilf.
    Don't see it.

Don't know where you're getting that (And Amy) from, and for that matter the Doctor's issue with guns in this episode was more about them beign pointed at him and his friends. No-one likes that.
    More generally, the Doctor's dislike of weapons in general and guns in specific got blown out of proportion during Ten's tenure, most egregiously by Helen Raynor, and he's now gone back to something more normal (To whit: He doesn't carry them, but he acknowledges their use). And as already mentioned, in Day of the Moon he makes the point that River is rather handy with a gun, and that he shouldn't like that, but he kind of does.

Perhaps, but it shouldn't be viewed as that much more significant than him killing an alien. Really, the significance here is more a fairly direct killing of an individual, as opposed to an army or whatever.

I'm a bit annoyed he used Homo Reptilia to describe them again. Reptilia Sapiens, while still not 100% correct, is at least in the right class.
    Yeah, that bothers me still.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Also: my mum, being a ridiculously big Potter fan has kindly informed me that Rory's dad (glee!~) is Mr. Weasley.
    He was also on The Fast Show back when that was a thing.

A: "Please stop flirting. I will not have flirting Companions." I just died from hypocrisy overload.
    YES.
    (OK, actually that would probably serve as a response to a bunch of the other things you said which I haven't quoted but eh. This was a more notable one because I felt similarly when I watched it)

THE ORKTOR KISSED RORY! HAPPY DAYS! NO WAIT -

My ships are crashing into one another I don't know what to do now.
    I cracked up reading that.

Oh, and is Lestrade's actual name a shout out to Voldemort or something? Look, I literally only just heard his actual name.
    Don't think so, think it's just a suitably Big Game Hunter-y name.

Preview Thoughts: More Bible quotes? And The Gunslinger looks a little like Kryten. Also explosions.
    Kryten? Nah. More like Kryten's replacement. Ooh, or maybe that simulant from the episode with the justice field?

Homo Reptilia has always been the Silurian name.
    No it hasn't, it's been the Silurian name since Chibnall used it in series 5.

Overall, I really liked it, it was a fun romp with really interesting characters, which is to say, pretty much exactly what a not-main-plot Doctor Who episode should be. I think I'm going to have to rewatch it as I missed a few lines on first viewing. I agree with the general sentiment that Riddell and Mr. Williams were brilliant one shot companions. I'd love to see them again (Highly unlikely in the case of Mr. Williams, but Riddell maybe?)
    Neffie I had mixed feelings about. Actually to be honest I found her most interesting for other people's reactions to her.
    I wonder about the postcard at the end which said Siluria. Does this mean the Doctor's put those dinosaurs down on a spare planet somewhere and called it Siluria? And if so, does he intend to suggest to Silurians he encounters in the future that they should just move there?

Oh, and the next episode looks interesting as well.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2012-09-08 at 05:42 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

28. - Top - End - #328

Have just been mucking about on the episode recaps for Doctor Who and am becoming even more convinced that of two things:
    1) I am very trope savvy as a reflection of the common nerd enjoying Doctor Who and am happening to highlight lots of tropes in my reviews.
    OR
    2) People are reading them and editing the page based off them.

Seriously, some of the wording is taken almost word for word . . . It's also very narcissistic of me, but the paranoia fuel abounds anyway. Stupid trope savvy nerdiness reviewing a popular sci-fi/family show on a site where a significant portion of regular posters read and edit TVTropes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #329

I found that while Blink was a way better episode than the Forest episode, the 'sending people back in time' thing was the stupidest bit of Blink and never made much sense in the first place, so I didn't mind the random change to neck snapping.

Last time I saw the guy playing Rory's Dad was as a vampire in... Being Human was it? He was in three episodes of that so he's definitely not too expensive for Doctor Who to use more than once.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2012-09-08 at 07:00 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the Daleks have that much use for treaties.
    They do when it stops the same weapons from being used against them.