New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Default Locate city bomb?

Hey playgrounders,

I've heard a few time about this "locate city" bomb but I have no clue how it works or can be achieved. Would anybody be able to shed some light on this for me. Thanks in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Locate city bomb?

Stacking damaging metamagic (particularly Explosive Spell) on a divination spell with a very large area of effect (particularly Locate City).
    Last edited by aldeayeah; 2012-04-01 at 06:07 PM.
    I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I also beleive the Locate City Bomb was debunked, and doesn't work by RAW. I'm attempting to locate the original thread to verify
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I was magically yanked out of my bed by a Demon Lord, and deposited into a huge dungeon with three strangers. None of them were pyromaniacs :(

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Typically I think it goes something like:

locate city (RoD) - 10 mile/level radius, finds a city

1. apply snowcasting (FB) - spell now has the cold descriptor
    2. apply flash frost feat (PHB2) - spell now deals 2 points of cold damage to all in area (and makes area slippery but we don't care about that)
    3. apply energy substitution (electricity) (CArc) - spell now deals electricity damge
    4. apply born of three thunders (CArc) - spell deals half electric, half sonic, but what is important is that it now requires a reflex save, allowing us to...
    5. apply explosive spell (CArc) - all creatures/things in area that fail their reflex saves are shunted to the outside of the area of effect (10 miles/level) and take 1d6 damage per 10' moved!

voila, you have just nuked an entire kingdom with a 4th level spell slot, a handful of snow and a silly combination of feats. Of course you have to be creative as well to not get shunted 200 miles yourself, or end up with a thousand tons of debris and bodies on top of you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Locate City Bomb
    Take Locate City (range: 10 miles/level), apply Snowcasting (making it [cold]), apply Flash Frost (adding 2 cold damage to everything in the area), apply Energy Substitution to make it electric, apply Born of the Three Thunders to change damage type and add a reflex save to avoid half the damage, then apply Explosive Spell, forcing a Reflex save vs being blasted to the edge of the area, taking 1d6 of damage per 10 feet traveled (so, at the center, it's 5280d6/level of falling damage).
    Thank you T.V Trope
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

Proud owner of 1 internet

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

6. - Top - End - #6

You also add Fell Drain (Libris Mortis) to give everything a negative level and raise 80% of the populace as Wights 24 hours later. (This one works even without the much debated Explosive Spell and radius of a 10 mile/level circle)
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

To my knowledge it has not been disputed as being illegal by RAW. Now most GMs will rule that illegal. Personally, if a player took all of those otherwise subpar feats, I would let them do it.

To make the spell even scarier add either fell animate or fell drain. Fell animate will make all of the victims into zombies. Fell drain will give all of the victims a negative level, which means if they die (which most will) you will get a massive number of wights.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    You also add Fell Drain (Libris Mortis) to give everything a negative level and raise 80% of the populace as Wights 24 hours later. (This one works even without the much debated Explosive Spell and radius of a 10 mile/level circle)
    Yeah, as he mentioned here the main contention is that Locate City has a circle radius rather then a sphere. This means the "closest" edge explosive spell could force you to would be directly above/below the circle... meaning you are tossed up a tiny bit, and may/may not take falling damage (depending on the dm, I suppose).

But as the Mentalist points out.. the fell drain version still works, as long as you are willing to build a character around this trick.

Edit: And the Explosive spell might still be valid too, depending on specifc GM, cause it's still a bit hazy with it's 2d vs 3d shape because of certain spell text references.
    Last edited by SirFredgar; 2012-04-01 at 06:27 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I was magically yanked out of my bed by a Demon Lord, and deposited into a huge dungeon with three strangers. None of them were pyromaniacs :(

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Even the necromantic version doesn't work. Flash Frost requires that the spell you apply it to affect an area, while Locate City merely has an area that it reveals information regarding.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    Even the necromantic version doesn't work. Flash Frost requires that the spell you apply it to affect an area, while Locate City merely has an area that it reveals information regarding.
    Hairs, you're splitting them.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Yeah, i seem to recall that explosive spell does not work. however, Locate City w/Arcane Thesis/Snowcasting/Flashfrost/Fell Drain/Invisible Spell means that you get to start the Wightpocalypse at 7th level out of a 1st level spell. a whole damn lot of times

12. - Top - End - #12

The locate city bomb trick matter as well be a spell in its own league... The Fell version is more or less a DMs worst nightmare... unless there is a campaign set around a Wizard being a douche enough to use it...

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    How do you differenciate? Area: (something) in it's spell text was all it needed to have to qualify. Locate City does have an Area entry.

If there is a difference between having an area, and affecting an area, I'd really like to see an example of a spell demonstrating that.
    Last edited by SirFredgar; 2012-04-01 at 06:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    The locate city bomb trick matter as well be a spell in its own league... The Fell version is more or less a DMs worst nightmare... unless there is a campaign set around a Wizard being a douche enough to use it...
    DM's worst nightmare, or DM's awesome plot device?
    My homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    DM's worst nightmare, or DM's awesome plot device?
    Hmm... could be a little bit of both

Could be worse! It could be an EXPLOSIVE Fell Draining tactical nuke

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Hmm... could be a little bit of both

Could be worse! It could be an EXPLOSIVE Fell Draining tactical nuke

It's official, Calanon has hacked my computer and is reading my campaign notes.... ABORT! ABORT! ABORT!
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

17. - Top - End - #17

Zombie

Whoa thanks for all the quick replies guys! My BBEG in my next campaign is going to use this to Nike a city and start a war

18. - Top - End - #18

It's official, Calanon has hacked my computer and is reading my campaign notes.... ABORT! ABORT! ABORT!
    Thank god for that blue text >_> a locate city nuclear explosion that would ravage the poor citizens of Ravenholme... Hmm... Orcus is pleased...

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh yeah, This is why the explosive spell version doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Explosive Spell
    Exlosive spell can be applied only to spells that allow Reflex saves and affect an area(a cone, cylinder, line or burst).
    Circle is not listed.

Your Welcome.
    Last edited by SirFredgar; 2012-04-01 at 07:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SirFredgar View Post
    Oh yeah, This is why the explosive spell version doesn't work

Circle is not listed.

Your Welcome.
    Dang, ninja-ed while I logged in.

But yeah, the issue with explosive spell come down to if you read the given list as exhaustive or not.

It's enough that the general consensus is that there are better options, such as the Fell Drain version. Or Wounding Spell, if you want the low-level NPCs to bleed to death.

21. - Top - End - #21

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Zombie View Post
    Whoa thanks for all the quick replies guys! My BBEG in my next campaign is going to use this to Nike a city and start a war
    Nike a city? Is there a metamagic for making everyone in the area of effect wear a certain brand of shoes?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hecuba View Post
    Dang, ninja-ed while I logged in.

But yeah, the issue with explosive spell come down to if you read the given list as exhaustive or not.

It's enough that the general consensus is that there are better options, such as the Fell Drain version. Or Wounding Spell, if you want the low-level NPCs to bleed to death.
    Yes, and they are less feat intensive then going to Energy Addmixture, Explosive Spell, Born of three thunders route.
    Last edited by SirFredgar; 2012-04-01 at 07:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by demigodus View Post
    Nike a city? Is there a metamagic for making everyone in the area of effect wear a certain brand of shoes?
    The auto correct on my phone decided Nike was more appropriate than nuke I'm afraid

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by SirFredgar View Post
    Oh yeah, This is why the explosive spell version doesn't work (a cone, cylinder, line or burst).

Circle is not listed.

Your Welcome.
    It very may well. Expressio unius est exclusio alterius is the principle in law which states that expression of one thing excludes everything else. Still it is not an absolute. There is room for an argument that the list there is merely for example and not exhaustive or exclusive. Those 4 types of AoEs aren't all of them as circle clearly exists with Locate City. Especially since Cityscape came out two years after Complete Arcane may mean that the authors of CA didn't contemplate the future existence of a different area for spell effects.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
    It very may well. Expressio unius est exclusio alterius is the principle in law which states that expression of one thing excludes everything else. Still it is not an absolute. There is room for an argument that the list there is merely for example and not exhaustive or exclusive. Those 4 types of AoEs aren't all of them as circle clearly exists with Locate City. Especially since Cityscape came out two years after Complete Arcane may mean that the authors of CA didn't contemplate the future existence of a different area for spell effects.
    Yes, you've nailed the fundamentals of the arguement for the camp that still thinks it's explosive spell version works. And never did I state that that a circle wasn't an area, but merely the feat explosive spell specifically calls out those areas.

As you've stated, there is a time difference between the publication of the two sourcebooks so that (maybe) it wasn't accounted for. However, this strays from RAW and into RAI.

I beleive I have given enough evidence to support that Explosive Spell LCB doesn't work by RAW. RAI though, yes, I beleive it should work.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Now if you have an artificer plunk this baby into a wand.. (Could it be eternal wand'ed? Maybe with some meta-magic reducing cheese...)

Too bad its super feat intensive. It'd be fun for an evil PC. As is, just set a party next to something and its as good as toast.

What's the lowest level one could use it?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Pretty sure Locate City counts as a burst.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by demigodus View Post
    Evil Wizard Plan:
    (super-mega-ultra-top-secret HEROS STAY OUT)
    Step 1: Acquire many levels of spellcasting class.
    Step 2: Use those levels to acquire many Metamagic Feats.
    Step 3: Blackmail kingdom(s) with threats of MASS DESHOECTION!
    Step 4: If said kingdom(s) do not give in to demands, then cast "Footwear City" spell.
    Step 5: ????
    Step 6: PROFIT!
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Evil Wizard Plan:
    (super-mega-ultra-top-secret HEROS STAY OUT)
    Step 1: Acquire many levels of spellcasting class.
    Step 2: Use those levels to acquire many Metamagic Feats.
    Step 3: Blackmail kingdom(s) with threats of MASS DESHOECTION!
    Step 4: If said kingdom(s) do not give in to demands, then cast "Footwear City" spell.
    Step 5: ????
    Step 6: PROFIT!
    I know what step 5 is. Offer to buy the excess shoes in bulk and go to a different city and sell the shoes at a lower than normal price (but still greater than what you paid for them). Insta-profit.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I may have to convince the spell-caster of a game I'm running to do this. Good thing its an evil campaign, she won't take much convincing.
    "Is mise tusa... Is tusa mise... Ón bhfarraige d'anam, tháinig mé..."
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ
    A scientist never needs a reason to set something on fire.
    The only thing that exists is the way people relate, interact and affect each other, and how that expands throughout the world. There should never be an end to a tale.