New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Artificer (of Alancia), gitp's first complete 5e homebrew

The Artificer (of Alancia)

I got exactly what we need. Give me a minute. No, I mean it. Exactly one minute.

Now on the DMs Guild!

Following many (and I mean many) email suggestions, I made the Artificer of Alancia available online as a pdf. As per the DMs Guild agreement, I'm allowed to keep a short preview here. Here you'll find the class up to level 6, the level you gain the 2nd vocation feature and enough for an E6 game.

The final product is just 1$. All the support I got on email, PM and by people creating an account just to praise is enough, so no need to "charge" more than that. The Artificer's additional material will also be available on the DMs Guild.

Intro

Most of my players enjoy some steampunk, so much that even when we play more or less pure fantasy they still like seeing some anacronic technology here and there, used as an exotic spice. Because of this, classes like the Artificer were always loved by my players, and I knew that once 5e was launched I would have to port in our own Artificer.

This Artificer isn't ye old Eberron one, the PF version of our artificer is a mix between the PF Alchemist, an Engineer from the 3.5 homebrew section (found here), and other gadgeteer and tinker classes from all around (you know, bits from here and there). Converting it to 5e was a little hard because the original was built like the rogue, full of talents that you can choose. I tried to take the most iconic talent trees and turn them into the four subclasses, while leaving some of the most neutral ones as options like the sorcerer's metamagic options.

In any case, I hope you enjoy.

Test
    Level Prof Special 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st +2 Inventions, Vocation 2
    2nd +2 Inovation, Artificer's Knowledge 3
    3rd +2 4 2
    4th +2 Ability Score Improvement 4 3
    5th +3 4 3 2
    6th +3 Vocation Feature 4 3 3

Class Features

Hit Points
    Hit Dice:
    1d8 per Artificer level
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 8+ your Constitution modifier
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Artificer level after 1st

Proficiencies
    Armor:
    Light armor
    Weapons: Simple weapons
    Tools: Two artisan’s tools of your choice
    Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
    Skills: Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, and Perception.

Equipment
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
    • (a) a dungeoneer’s pack or (b) an explorer's pack
    • (a) a melee simple weapon or (b) a crossbow and a case of 20 bolts
    • Leather armor and a set of artisan’s tools

Inventions
    You can create advanced pieces of technology, capable of amazing feats, called inventions. Each invention you create emulates the effects of a spell.

Gadgets
    At 1st level, you know the designs for three gadgets of your choice. A Gadget is a 0-level invention, and can be activated repeatedly. Gadgets in the form of equipment never occupy significant space on the user. You learn one additional Gadget design at levels 4 and 10.

Design Book
    At 1st level, you have a design book containing designs for six 1st-level inventions of your choice.

Building Inventions
    No matter how many designs you hold, there is a limit to the number of designs you can implement in a day. The Artificer table shows how many invention slots you have to create inventions of 1st level or higher. You regain all expended invention slots when you finish a long rest.
    You build inventions from your design book, a process which takes 1 minute of work. To do so, expend a slot of the inventions level or higher. Building inventions also consumes bulk materials, but the cost of these materials is insignificant; comparable to the valueless material components of most spells.
    Inventions remain potent for 1 day before becoming inert. In addition, your inventions are keyed to you and immediately become inert if they leave your possession, reactivating as soon as they return to your keeping. An Artificer cannot normally pass out their Inventions for allies to use (but see the “Simple Science” Discovery below).
    Many Artificers build several Inventions at the start of the day or just before going on an adventure, but it's not uncommon for an Artificer to keep some (or even all) of their daily Invention slots open so that they can build Inventions in the field as needed.

Types of Inventions
    Different inventions are constructed in different ways.
    Equipment. Beneficial inventions with a range of self or touch and a duration greater than 1 round must be constructed as Equipment. These inventions can be made as bracers, gloves, shoulders, belts, boots, helmets, or backpacks. They are always cumbersome, and prevent the placement of other items in the space that they occupy, including magic items. They can be activated at any time that they are worn, but you must be one of the targets, if any.
    Devices. Other inventions are constructed as Devices. These inventions are hand-held items that must be retrieved before use.

Using Inventions
    Your inventions are so complex that only you are able to operate them. You can activate your inventions by performing a Use Item action, although you do so using the casting time of the emulated spell. When you do, the invention creates an effect equivalent to the spell if it were cast at the level of the expended invention slot. If the spell requires a costly material component, that component must also be expended during the activation of the invention. Inventions require no concentration to keep, even if the effect has a duration of Concentration; however, you can only keep one of these inventions active at a time, and you can’t concentrate on a spell during that period.
    Intelligence is the ability you use to activate inventions, so you use your Intelligence whenever an effect refers to your spellcasting ability.

Invention save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
    Invention attack modifier = 1d20 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Learning Designs of 1st Level or Higher
    At each new Artificer level, they gain two new Designs of any level that they can create. An Artificer can also add Designs to their Design Book, whether by learning them from another Artificer or by deciphering them from another Design Book. The cost of this transcription process is 50gp and 2 hours per level of the Design.
    An Artificer can also attempt to study a Wizard's spellbook to learn any Design that is equivalent to a spell the spellbook contains; however, this requires 400gp and 8 hours per spell level, as well as a successful Arcane (Int) skill check. The DC for this check equals 8 + twice the level of the spell, and is made before expending any costs. The assistance of the spellbook’s Wizard grants Advantage on this check.

Vocation
    At 1st level, you choose a vocation that expresses your preferred style of creation. Choose Alchemist, Grenadier, Gunsmith, or Machinist, all detailed at the end of the class description. The vocation you choose grants you features at 1st, 6th, 14th, and 18th level.

Innovation
    At 2nd level, you tap into a font of creativity and insight from within yourself, represented by Innovation Points. You have an amount of Innovation Points equal to your Artificer level, which you use to achieve a variety of special effects. You regain all spent Innovation Points when you finish a long rest.

Artificer’s Knowledge
    If the Artificer studies a tool for 1 minute and spends 1 Innovation Point he becomes proficient in that Tool until he uses this ability again or finishes a long rest.

Discovery
    The Artificer learns new techniques and improvements to his skills. At 2nd level you gain two of the following Discovery options of your choice. You gain another two at 10th and 17th level. Some Discoveries require Innovation Points to be used.
    Efficient Climber
    You create a climbing apparatus that grants you a climbing speed equal to your land speed, and allows you to climb with both hands free.
    Efficient Crafter
    You can craft five times faster than normal.
    Efficient Swimmer
    You create swimming gear that grants you a swimming speed equal to your land speed, and allows you to hold your breath ten times longer.
    Fast Trigger
    When you activate an invention with a casting time of 1 action, if it only targets yourself, you can spend 1 innovation point to activate it as a bonus action.
    First Aid Techniques
    If you or any friendly creatures who are under your care regain hit points at the end of a short rest, each of these creatures regain extra Hit Points equal to your Intelligence modifier.
    Mechanical Calculator
    You created a device full of buttons and levers that allow you to make all kinds of calculations. The device works as an abacus and compass, and also measures height, temperature and depth. As an action and by spending 1 Innovation you can also try to calculate the DC of any task; make an appropriate skill check (using Intelligence in place of the usual attribute) with a DC of 15. If successful, the character measures the probability of success, while the GM tells the player the DC.
    Medic
    As an action you can create and use Inventions that heal HP, or cure conditions/exhaustion/diseases/poisons.
    Overcharge
    When you activate an Invention that has a duration longer than 1 minute, you can spend 1 Innovation Point to double its duration, to a maximum of 24 hours.
    Repairs
    When you create Inventions that heal HP, you can modify them to work on constructs and objects. These inventions no longer have an effect on living creatures.
    Routine Invention
    You can create Inventions with the Ritual tag as Routines. A Routine doesn’t cost an Invention slot, but the creation time increases by 30 minutes and you have to spend 1 Innovation Point to build it.
    Simple Machine
    With a minute of work and 1 Innovation Point you can create a mechanical device that executes a single simple programmed action, like an auto bakecaker or weightlifter. The machine as the statistics of a Medium animated object, except that it can’t attack and it has one of your skill of tool proficiencies, and remains active for 10 minutes before critically malfunctioning. You can only program one command, something that an Unseen Servant could reasonably do. Alternatively you can build a sturdier construct with 1 hour of work and 500gp. The sturdier construct remains active for 24 hours, and you or any other Artificer can extend this duration each day by spending 10 minutes and 1 Innovation Point making minor repairs and modifications. After one year of continuous activation, the Simple Construct’s schematic has been perfected and it becomes permanent. A perfected machine can be rebuilt with 1 hour of work and 500gp, and retains its permanency.
    Simple Science
    Your Inventions aren’t exactly rocket science, and other creatures can use your beneficial Inventions. Each creature can have only one Invention with a duration of Concentration active at the same time.

Ability Score Improvement
    When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1.

Vocations

Alchemist

Sideboob is essential

Bonus Proficiency

You gain proficiency with the Alchemist Kit.

Tonic
    At 1st level you know how to make a new type of invention, Tonics, which are treated like devices. Only beneficial inventions with a range of self or touch can be made as Tonics.
    Additionally, you can prepare a number of Tonic designs equal to your Intelligence modifier + your artificer level (minimum 1 design). You can create these prepared tonics with a single action rather than 1 minute, and anyone can use them. You can change your list of prepared Tonic designs when you finish a long rest.

Mutagen
    Starting at 6th level, with 1 minute of work and 1 Innovation point you can create a special potion that works only for a single creature. Choose a creature and an ability score; when the target creature drinks the mutagen, the potion grants the effects of the Enhance Ability spell for the chosen ability, but also grants disadvantage on checks for the linked ability. The ability links are Strength-Intelligence, Dexterity-Wisdom, and Constitution-Charisma. Both effects last 1 hour per artificer level.

Grenadier

Ew, you're gonna hate this...

Bonus Proficiency

You gain proficiency with the Gunsmith Kit and with explosives.

Bomb
    Beginning at 1st level, you know how to create a new type of invention, Bombs. Only harmful inventions with an area of effect can be made as Bombs, which are thrown weapons with a maximum range of 60ft. They create their effect upon the point of impact. If you hit the target it receives disadvantage on the saving throw against the bomb effect, if any; if you miss, the bomb explodes in a corner of the target’s space.
    Additionally, you can prepare a number of Bomb designs equal to your Intelligence modifier + your artificer level (minimum 1 design). You can create these prepared Bombs with a single action rather than 1 minute. You can change your list of prepared Bomb designs when you finish a long rest.

Controlled Blast
    Starting at 6th level, by spending 1 Innovation Point when you use a Bomb, you can choose a number of creatures that you can see equal to your Proficiency. The chosen creatures automatically succeed on their saving throws against the Bomb, and they take no damage if they would normally take half damage on a successful save.

Gunsmith

Boom... headshot

Bonus Proficiency

You gain proficiency with the Gunsmith Kit and with firearms.

Prototype Gun
    At 1st level, with 8 hours of work you can modify a firearm with which you are proficient into a prototype gun. A prototype gun works like a normal firearm, but loses the Reload property, only artificers with the Gunsmith vocation are proficient in it’s use, and you can use your Intelligence modifier in place of your Dexterity modifier on attack and damage rolls with it.

Special Ammo
    Also at 1st level, you know how to create a new type of invention, Special Ammo. Only harmful inventions that deal damage or have areas of effect can be built as Special Ammo. They must be fired from a prototype gun rather than activated normally. When you do, use the weapon’s long range in place of the invention’s normal range.

Elemental Ammo
    Starting at 6th level, with a bonus action and 1 innovation point you can infuse a prototype gun with acid, cold, electricity, fire, or thunder for 1 minute or until you use this ability again. While Elemental Amo is active, the gun’s weapon attacks deal damage of the chosen type and it deals an additional 1d6 damage of the same type. That additional damage increases to 2d6 at 11th level and 3d6 at 17th level.

Machinist

Well, me and THIS army, of course

Bonus Proficiency

You gain proficiency with medium armor and the Engineering Kit.

Mechanical Armor
    With 8 hours of work you can modify an armor that you’re proficient into a Mechanical Armor. A Mechanical Armor works like a normal armor, but it weights 50% more, always imposes Disadvantage on Stealth checks, prohibit the user from wearing Equipment inventions, and only artificers with the Machinist vocation are proficient in their use. While wearing mechanical armor you can use your Intelligence modifier in place of your Strength modifier for all purposes, and you gain a Mechanical Slam attack that you are proficient in. This attack deals 1d8 bludgeoning damage.

Armor Upgrades
    Also at 1st level, you can integrate inventions into your armor as Armor Upgrades. Only inventions with a range of self or touch can be armor upgrades. Armor upgrades expend your invention slots without being built, but you must be the only target.
    Prepare a number of Armor Upgrades designs equal to your Intelligence modifier + your artificer level (minimum 1 upgrade). You can change your list of Armor Upgrade designs when you finish a long rest.

Mechanical Expertise
    Starting at 6th level, you can use the two following abilities:
    -Mechanical Uppercut: Immediately after you take the Attack action or your turn, you can spend 1 Innovation Point to make one Mechanical Slam attack as a bonus action.
    -Thrusters: You can spend 1 Innovation point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action on your turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn.

The Artificer Invention List

Artificer of Alancia with freeform spell list, according to some few DMs

To put it simply, the Artificer was created with the intention that his invention list is made up from all spells from the Cleric, Druid and Wizard list, except spells involving directly divine forces, and with additional exceptions left for each individual DM according to what Artificers are supposed to be on each setting.

OMG OP

While that may sound strange, it's logical once you understand that the Artificer must write the inventions to his Design Book and can't access most of his inventions on the fly. He either has to learn inventions from other artificers (or reverse engineer them from wizard's spellbooks), research them by himself or make do with the two free ones he learns each level. The artificer should be able to focus on one aspect, like damage, battlefield control, buffing, healing, or utility inventions, while still being able to branch out if needed; in that aspect his strength is that even if he specializes in a certain function (let's say party healer) he still retains the ability to being a generalist if needed.

I make no assumptions as to what kind of spells should be allowed; in some setting inventions that deal with angels and fiends make no sense, while on others "The Power of SCIENCE compels you" is a great explanation. Of course there are spells that shouldn't be allowed, but I follow 5e's trend and leave this power to each individual GM. Maybe in his setting only wizard spells + cure wounds; maybe in that other setting anything that doesn't specifically uses religions or the force of the divine; maybe on another anything that uses Radiant or Necrotic damage is out.

There's also another reason why a default list isn't presented. This class, the whole class, was one of the first 5e homebrew on this site, and at the time I made no assumption how the spell lists of various casters would be expanded, or even if they even would be. By leaving the spell lists "open", if two months passed and WotC released some great new spells any of these classes players could just use them instead of coming back here to ask "Hey DiegoBastet, could you update the spell list with the spells from [Insert Web Enhancement], pretty please?".

"But DiegoBastet my man, I get you, I do bro. But I have to convince my GM that homebrew doesn't suck and when I told him about the freeform spell list he said nasty things to me in a very angry tone, and told me to shove the Artificer where the sun doesn't shine in Alancia. He won't accept it without a spell list. Please help me."

Sigh. Well, if anyone else have some case like that, this is the spell list I originally put for my games. I think it's generic enough with a wide selection and following a certain theme.

Gadgets
    Acid Splash
    Blade Ward
    Dancing Lights
    Fire Bolt
    Friends
    Light
    Mage Hand
    Mending
    Poison Spray
    Ray of Frost
    Shocking Grasp
    Spare the Dying
    Thorn Whip
    True Strike

1st level Inventions
    Alarm
    Bane
    Burning Hands
    Charm Person
    Comprehend Languages
    Create or Destroy Water
    Cure Wounds
    Detect Magic
    Detect Poison and Disease
    Disguise Self
    Dissonant Whispers
    Expeditious Retreat
    Faerie Fire
    False Life
    Feather Fall
    Fog Cloud
    Goodberry
    Grease
    Guiding Bolt
    Hail of Thorns
    Hideous Laughter
    Inflict Wounds
    Jump
    Longstrider
    Magic Missile
    Purify Food and Drink
    Shield
    Silent Image
    Sleep
    Thunderwave
    Witch Bolt

2nd level Inventions
    Aid
    Alter Self
    Arcane Lock
    Augury
    Blindness/Deafness
    Calm Emotions
    Continual Flame
    Darkness
    Darkvision
    Detect Thoughts
    Enhance Ability
    Enlarge/Reduce
    Entrall
    Gentle Repose
    Gust of Wind
    Heat Metal
    Hold Person
    Invisibility
    Knock
    Lesser Restoration
    Levitate
    Magic Mouth
    Melf's Acid Arrow
    Mirror Image
    Misty Step
    Protection from Poison
    Scorching Ray
    See Invisibility
    Shatter
    Silence
    Spider Climb
    Suggestion
    Web

3rd level Inventions
    Clairvoyance
    Create Food and Water
    Daylight
    Dispel Magic
    Elemental Weapon
    Fear
    Feign Death
    Fireball
    Fly
    Haste
    Hypnotic Pattern
    Lightning Bolt
    Magic Circle
    Major Image
    Nondetection
    Plant Growth
    Protection from Energy
    Revivify
    Sending
    Sleet Storm
    Stinking Cloud
    Tongues
    Water Breathing
    Wind Wall

Using Inventions

May I inquire what the f@$k are you doing on my arm, master?

While it may seem that creating and using an invention is a whole new system, actually the process is just like preparing and casting a spell, since Inventions emulate their effects. In fact the system mostly resembles creating and using a scroll. To build and use an invention, the Artificer follows these steps.

1 - Knows the Design: The spell that he wants to emulate in an invention must be written in his design book.

2 - Build the Invention: The Artificer spends a daily Invention exactly like a spellcaster casting a spell does. He spends one minute building it. After that the Invention is ready for use, and he may use it now or store it for later. Once built the invention remains ready for use until the end of the Artificer’s next long rest.

Optional: 3 - Storing: Inventions usually are handheld items, and the Artificer stores them exactly like any other item. However, if the emulated spell is beneficial, with a range of Touch or Self, and a duration longer than 1 round, it’s an Equipment. Equipments may be made as bracers, gloves, shoulders, belts, boots, helmets or backpacks, are always cumbersome and usually prevent the use of other items in the space they occupy. You can’t choose to build spells that don’t fit the above criteria as Equipment, and you can’t build spells that do as normal Inventions.

Optional: 4 - Ready: If the Invention is stored the Artificer must draw it like any other item before using it (usually drawing an item takes no action). Obviously if the Invention is an Equipment and he’s already wearing it, then he doesn’t need to draw it.

5 - Use the Invention: Using an Invention takes one Action, unless the original casting time is longer. If the Invention is an Equipment it uses the spell’s normal casting time, but it must target the Artificer or have him as one of the targets. Only the Artificer may activate the Invention. Beneficial Inventions aren’t considered magical effects (so they can’t be dispelled and work on anti-magic zones). Once used the Invention is spent and can’t be used again.

Example - Normal Invention: An Artificer builds a Cure Wounds Invention. He spends a whole minute building it. After that he can store his invention for later or use right now.
    Example - Normal Invention: An Artificer builds a Burning Hands Invention. The invention works like the spell, with a 15ft cone starting in his space.
    Example - Equipment Invention: An Artificer builds a Mage Armor Invention. Mage Armor is a beneficial spell with a range of Touch and a duration longer than 1 round, so it must be built as a cumbersome Equipment. Since it’s an Equipment the Artificer has to wear it before he can activate it (in this case let’s say he built it as heavy bracers) and he must include himself among the targets; mage armor has only one target so he can only target himself with his Quantum Forcefield Bracers.

The Subclass “Trick”
    The above is true for every Artificer’s Inventions, but each subclass has a nice ability to build their signature inventions in a different and improved way. The following are the step-by-step guides of each subclass.

Alchemist: The Alchemist can build Tonics from beneficial spells with a range of Self or Touch. Tonics are used as normal Inventions. He can also “prepare” a number of inventions from his design book exactly like a wizard prepares spells, but only from those that can be made as Tonics; he can build the tonics he prepared with a single actions instead of one minute.
    Example - Tonic: An Alchemist builds a Mage Armor Invention. Other Artificers must build it as an Equipment, but he has the option to build it as a Tonic. He must draw and use it, but Tonics are used as normal Inventions and don’t have the limitations of Equipments.
    Example - Preparing: An Alchemist prepares Mage Armor after his long rest. During the adventure day he really needs a mage armor tonic, and since Mage Armor is one of his prepared inventions he only need a single action to build it, instead of the normal 1 minute. Later he needs a Cure Wounds invention, but he didn’t choose it as one of his prepared inventions for the day, so Tonic or not he still needs 1 minute to build it.

Gunsmith: Besides being able to create Prototype Guns the Gunsmith can build Special Ammo. This special ammo is built exactly like any normal Invention, but can be only used from a Prototype Gun. The Invention uses the long range of the Prototype Gun in place of the spell’s range. He can only build harmful spells that cause damage or have an area of effect as ammo.
    Example - Special Ammo: A Gunsmith builds a Hypnotic Pattern Invention. Since the spell has an area of effect (a 30ft cube within 120t) he has the option to build it as Ammo. He does, and must shoot it through a Prototype Gun, using the gun’s Long Range in place of the spell’s original range.

Grenadier: The Grenadier may build offensive area spells as Bombs. Bombs are throw weapons with a 20/60ft range. He can also “prepare” a number of inventions from his design book exactly like a wizard prepares spells, but only from those that can be made as Bombs; he can build these Bombs as a single action.
    Example - Bomb: A Grenadier builds a Burning Hands Invention. Other Artificers must build it as a normal invention, but he can build it as a Bomb. As a Bomb he can throw it with a 20/60 range and the 15ft cone starts where the bomb lands instead of at him.
    Example - Preparing: A Grenadier prepares Burning Hands after his long rest. During the adventure day he really needs a burning hands bomb, and since Burning Hands is one of his prepared inventions he only need a single action to build it, instead of the normal 1 minute. Later he needs a Lightning Bolt invention, but he didn’t choose it as one of his prepared inventions, so Bomb or not he still needs 1 minute to build it.

Machinist: Besides being able to created Mechanical Armor, the Machinist can “prepare” a number of inventions from his design book exactly like a wizard prepares spells, but only from beneficial spells with a range of Touch or Self. These spells are Armor Upgrades. While using his Mechanical Armor he can activate these Armor Upgrades without the need to build them first, but he can only target himself with them.
    Example - Armor Upgrade: A Machinist prepares Fly after his long rest. During the adventure day he really needs a Fly effect on himself, so he just spends a daily invention slot and activates it without the need to spend 1 minute building it. Later he needs a Cure Wounds invention, but he didn’t choose it as one of his prepared inventions, so he still needs 1 minute to build it.
    Example - Not Armor Upgrade: A Machinist didn't prepare Fly after his long rest. During the adventure day he really needs a Fly effect on himself but he didn’t choose it as one of his prepared inventions, so he still needs 1 minute to build it as a jetpack (an Equipment) . However you can't wear Equipments while using a Mechanical Armor, so he's outta luck.

What about roleplay?
    You can roleplay your inventions exactly as you want. One might roleplay a Fireball Invention as a classic Eberron-like Infusion; another artificer, more bent to alchemy might say it’s an explosive potion; and another might roleplay it as a single-use disposable handcannon. The system is designed so you can create lots of technological gadgets using the simple and familiar framework of spells. Hand-cannon? Fireball Invention. Parachute? Feather Fall Equipment. Keeping with the feel of 5e, your imagination and the setting you’re playing are the only limits.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 2018-05-10 at 07:22 PM.
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

2. - Top - End - #2

Imp

Default Re: 5e Homebrew - The Artificer (of Alancia)

Wow, I think I just drooled a bit. This looks fantastic. The Gunsmith and Machinist vocations might not fit into every campaign, but the Grenadier vocation is finally a splash weapon specialist that isn't terrible. I've been looking for one of those for ages!

Keep up the great work!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

I second Xyianth, the Granadier is all kinds of awesome...tho the ability to cast spells AND have a boomstick is also awesome. It's times like these that I wish my group wouldn't prefer settings without gunpowder or any kind of advanced technology *sigh*, oh well.

This might be out of place, but how about making a Wand focused artificer? When I played the class in 3.5 I always liked to focus on that, plus there were quite a few feats that improved that style of play. However, I haven't got my hands on the 5e PHB, so I'm not sure how wands work anymore, so this idea might be impossible, but, hey, it would still be all kinds of cool.

Brew on!

-Dyhmas
    I have a tendency to babble...a lot. My posts'll probably be huge while not having much understandable information. Sorry about that.

4. - Top - End - #4

The Gunsmith and Machinist vocations might not fit into every campaign
    That's totally true. In fact next week I'm starting a new campaign on a setting much more oldschool, and you can only choose alchemist or grenadier in this setting, and your inventions can't be rped as steampunk science. But I think that this is the magic of the artificer, you can rp a lot of different kinds of inventions and science; fits like a glove on the feel of 5e.

This might be out of place, but how about making a Wand focused artificer?
    Well, in fact in the 3.5 class there are six main "paths" for the artificer: mechanical armor, prototype gun, bombs, tonics, magic item creator and spell-trigger specialist. I admit that I have absolute no idea how to make the magic item creator and the spell trigger dudes for now, and by the looks of it they'll have to become only one. But in any case I regret telling you that I'll wait for the DMG first.

Now, if you want to play a traditional cannith wandificer, I just recomend going alchemist. You make your beneficial inventions as potions, and the offensive ones you rp them as wands. One of the ideas of this artificer is that you can rp your inventions in a lot of different ways, including the classic infusion-based wands.

In any case I appreciate the opinions, thank you.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

5. - Top - End - #5

Lizardfolk

Looks amazing, I'm going to swing this whenever I find a group to see how people react to it. One thing I would suggest is that you consider granting more invention points, possibly based on intelligence modifier, simply due to how many things seem to require them.

Additionally, if you can, it would be appreciated if you provide an example invention just as a walkthrough.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Starcofski View Post
    Additionally, if you can, it would be appreciated if you provide an example invention just as a walkthrough.
    I'll have to second this (came here to ask that, actually) since I've sent this class to one of the players in my group and he was having some trouble to understand the whole process.

So, how about you save me some work as his DM, huh? Pretty please?

-Dyhmas
    I have a tendency to babble...a lot. My posts'll probably be huge while not having much understandable information. Sorry about that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

This looks great, though the limitless spells is a bit much -- superior to wizard and bard, and effectively replacing them. Maybe tack on sorcerer limits on the number of spells known, but keep the universal spell access?

The archetypes are really good! Great work.

8. - Top - End - #8

First of all thanks everyone for the interest. And I'm sorry for the delay; I've been kept aways from the forum these days. Now for replies:

Starcofski
    The small number o daily Innovation Points is actually a feature, not a bug. The Artificer has a lot of options and potential, but it's the class theme to choose carefully where and when to spend its resources instead of spamming his abilities. An Artificer will always have a lot of uses for his Innovations, but will also always need to choose a good moment to spend his innovation points. Besides that as a "full caster" his main power are his "spells", his innovation point based abilities should be some kind of backup tool kit. If the player thinks "I don't need to use, but I want to use X now, but if I do that i'll use a point that I may need later" before choosing wheter or not to spend his Innovation Point, then my design goal is a success.

Starcofski and Dyhmas
    Due to popular demand I added a Using Inventions part, to showcase how the system is very similar to creating and using a scroll. I hope it helps to explain to your players.

Wayfare
    I've been playtesting the game and the only problem that I found about spell access was that I didn't like the Artificer (or the Bard) having access to "exclusive" ranger and paladin spells many levels earlier than said classes. Because of that I changed the Artificer spell acess to Cleric, Druid and Wizard spells. That's still most of the spells, but that's intentional; the Artificer is supposed to be the box of tricks, with a solution to almost all kinds of problems if he saw it coming / prepared for every situation.

Besides that don't forget that any invention he wants to build must be written on his design book, exactly like a wizard spell book. While I understand your concern with such a huge "spell list" I assure you the artificer doesn't overshadows other spellcasters in all points.

Now for the "spells know" limit, I'm against it. Looking at other spellcasters I tried to find each one niche. That's what I found.

Bard: Spells know = not versatile day-to-day. Can add some spells from other lists.
    Cleric / Druid (circle of the land): Spells prepared = versatile day-to-day. Additional domain/circle prepared spells "cover the bases" of his theme, allowing preparation of other spells.
    Sorcerer: Spells know = not versatile day-to-day. Tries to compensate with metamagic and a kind of spell recovery. Seems a little sad.
    Wizard: Spells prepared = versatile day-to-day. Must know the spell in his spellbook limiting his versatility. No extra spells prepared but has spell recovery.

The niche I wanted for this Artificer was to have great versatility if knowing what challenges he'll face, or, specially, when out of combat and with time to solve the problem.

Combat is another story. You see, the artificer could theorically build a lot of inventions and leave them stored so he can compete spell-to-spell against a sorcerer or wizard, but since he had to choose and build his spells before combat he can't be as versatile as both of them, that can cast any spells know/prepared as the situation calls. A wizard could have Mage Armor, Comprehend Language, Burning Hands and Feather Fall prepared, and cast any combination of them with his daily slots (let's say 3), adapting to the situation as needed; the artificer would have to build his 3 inventions before, and wouldn't be able to adapt if the situation called for another one of the four. When combat ends the other spellcaster can still contribute with his utility spells, but the artificer can only contribute with what he already built.

Now, if he didn't try to outclass his spellcasting friend, when combat ends he really shines. The wizard still has only Mage Armor, Comprehend Language, Burning Hands and Feather Fall prepared and can cast any of them with a single action. The artificer however can "cast" any "spell" in his "spellbook", albeit with a 1 minute "casting time". Since he is much more versatile when he's got time (or can prepare correctly) if a situation arises that a Comprehend Language spell could solve it's in the party's best interest to let the artificer handle it and conserve the wizard's spell slots for emergency or combat situations. If the cleric ran out of spells it's a good idea for the artificer to prepare some of the most needed cleric spells as a backup. If they know they will face ice giants then it's a good idea to build some fire damage inventions. In fact he's at his best when he can worry only about out-of-combat spells while leaving combat and emergency spells for the real spellcasters.

It's not a bug that they can try to do other classes' jobs. If they do it outside combat and with time to prepare they can do it with more versatility; if they try to do it in combat they can't compete even against the sorcerer.

That's why a "spells know" table would be totally against the class spirit.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 2014-09-11 at 01:45 PM.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

9. - Top - End - #9

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DiBastet View Post
    Starcofski
    The small number o daily Innovation Points is actually a feature, not a bug. The Artificer has a lot of options and potential, but it's the class theme to choose carefully where and when to spend its resources instead of spamming his abilities. An Artificer will always have a lot of uses for his Innovations, but will also always need to choose a good moment to spend his innovation points. Besides that as a "full caster" his main power are his "spells", his innovation point based abilities should be some kind of backup tool kit. If the player thinks "I don't need to use, but I want to use X now, but if I do that i'll use a point that I may need later" before choosing wheter or not to spend his Innovation Point, then my design goal is a success.

Starcofski and Dyhmas
    Due to popular demand I added a Using Inventions part, to showcase how the system is very similar to creating and using a scroll. I hope it helps to explain to your players.
    Thanks for that; just showing how inventions are made cleared up everything. I like this, and as soon as I can test a machinist I'll share the results (but that might be a while, need a group first).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I like it alot so far. It reminds me of engineers in Guild Wars 2.

Can you expand on firearms a bit? I am pretty sure there aren't firearms in PHB.
    Last edited by dragoonsgone; 2014-09-12 at 01:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Thumbs up Re: 5e Homebrew - The Artificer (of Alancia)

You're right, there aren't. It seems we'll have them in the dmg. But since firearms always is hot topic for discussion -kinda like the shape and lenght of elves' ears- I made the gunsmith rules as generic as possible to accomodate different DM tastes: his prototype guns are basically your DM firearms sans the loading property (that I guess will be in most firearms rules anyway). Because of that you can use the gunsmith with my firearms rules, the dmg firearms rules, the average joe firearms rules or any other.

But I digress... Yes, I can share my own firearms rules later when I find time to make the tables.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 2014-09-12 at 04:59 PM.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

12. - Top - End - #12

Updated with simple firearms rules for people interested in the Gunsmith.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

13. - Top - End - #13

A magic blunderbuss, you say? Yes, please!

Now, more seriously, all of my kudos to you, sir, both on the inventions guide and the firearms rules. Wich, by the way, i like very much, as they are very simple and sleek, alike the other 5e weapons. The explosion property is specially interesting...as in "I gotta keep this away from my table!", since I homebrewed rules to allow a player to craft a weapon while adding extra properties. Just picture a hammer with a cannon as a head. Load it. Strike. Explode. I know my players...

Should this class be used on the current campaign, I shall give the proper impressions.

Keep up with the good work!

-Dyhmas

14. - Top - End - #14

Hey Dyhmas, you're brazilian, so you can use our portuguese version. You can find it here.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Your firearms rules are great! Thank you. They make me be able to understand the gunsmith alot better.

16. - Top - End - #16

Hey Dyhmas, you're brazilian, so you can use our portuguese version. You can find it here.
    Wow, that helps a lot...

Valeu, bro!

-Dyhmas

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I am definitely concerned about the ability to create 5 animated objects that lack the tempering limiter of the short concentration duration of the Animate Objects spell, which can all be commanded to punch things with a Bonus Action. This gives the alchemist way too much action economy.

I would personally change the L14 feature to focus on further improving your personal mecha armour instead with a couple of attachment options, like a flame thrower (a short ranged cone or medium range line of fire that deals fire damage and ignites unattended objects and creatures that fail their Dex save), magic missile turret (allows it to shoot magic missile), magitek cannon (scorching ray, but you can choose the damage type), improved thrusters (allows for flight), energy field generator (a buffer of hit point damage similar to the Abjurationist Ward feature that renders your mecha immune to non-damage effects from spells and damage sources that fail to penetrate it while it's active) which can be temporarily bolstered with innovation points and have a limited number of uses that recharge during a short rest.

18. - Top - End - #18

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm hoping that they use this as a basis for the 5e artificer (I don't see wizards giving up on eberrron any time soon). The potential usages this thing has are basically limitless.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

19. - Top - End - #19

Truth be told, I imagine we'll see eberron's artificer doing something similar and using his infusions, but from a specific list with some additions. Besides that, 3.5 artificer was built around being a magic item creator, something that I don't believe will be the focus of the class this edition. Maybe something like getting more charges out of magic items or something like that... Super science? That's not eberron thing, it's more to "use magic in place of science" thing.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

20. - Top - End - #20

Guns can be used by anyone, the Gunsmith gets cool tricks with them but I could have a rifle wielding fighter.
    The same isn't true about the Machinist's mechanical armor. You currently can't have a person in power armor, unless you re-fluff ordinary armor.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

No concentration + access to Cleric, Druid, and Wizard spell lists = hilariously too powerful and versatile. Write a specific Artificer invention list, please. Concentration is a purposeful and meaningful restriction to spellcasters, beyond simply limiting them to one big spell at once, and making the artificer's inventions, which are drawn from the three biggest spell lists in the game, impossible to disrupt is poor design.

Am I reading this right, that beneficial inventions with a range of self or touch, must be worn as equipment by the artificer and can only benefit the artificer? That's how it sounds, and that seems like a fine limitation, but the wording is very vague.

I find it beyond my own suspension of disbelief that building inventions only consumes raw materials of insignificant costs. What are these "bracers, gloves, shoulders, belts, boot, helmets or backpacks" made of that's so insignificant? That bit just makes no sense to me.

The subclasses are very cool and flavorful and introduce fun new ways to play the game, but the core rules just look like a way overpowered caster.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

22. - Top - End - #22

It's working really ok. The no concentration part is working fine on my games so far; it just means that a stray arrow can't make some gauntlets not work anymore, but in any case they still have the limitation of only one concentration spell at a time.

And yeah, beneficial inventions with a range of touch or self can only be used by the artificer in form of weird science gear. And that "gear" is mostly a spell with some limitations and advantages. On one hand you have to "pre-cast" the spell using a whole minute, then you "cast" it with your action; but on the other hand you have a pretty good list to choose from, assuming you have the "spell" on your "spellbook". Also it's usually hard to find sources of non-wizards spells (usually in form of scrolls) because other classes don't have a spellbook. Finally, I find the idea of charging gold per spell cast stupid and can't imagine using that restriction in any other spellcaster class. If you use the artificer in your games feel free to add 5gp x spell level.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For the first time ever, I've created a forum account solely for the purpose of saying how awesome a post is. I have to say, this is one of the coolest things I've read in quite a while, and I will be using it in my game coming up, and my wife and I will be using it in the next game I'm running for both our characters.

So, congratulations, DiBastet. You're the first person who's ever gotten me to join a forum solely to say how awesome you are!

P.S. I'd like your permission to post a link to this on my blog, if I may. That's how awesome it is.

24. - Top - End - #24

Sure man, please feel free to.

Also, since english is not my native language the grammar may be a bit off here and there, so if you need to feel free to revisit the text or modify this as much as you want.

BTW, that's a big compliment. Thank you.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 2014-11-22 at 11:24 AM.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sure man, please feel free to.

Also, since english is not my native language the grammar may be a bit off here and there, so if you need to feel free to revisit the text or modify this as much as you want.

BTW, that's a big compliment. Thank you.
    Yeah, my wife is angry that she didn't discover this sooner, otherwise she'd be playing it now (only missed it by three weeks)!

Actually, if you'd like, I can make up a pdf using InDesign that you can post, as well, for others, with corrected grammar, etc. Wouldn't take long to do.

26. - Top - End - #26

Feel free to. You have my blessing.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Feel free to. You have my blessing.
    Clarification request: Gadgets are cantrips that can only come from the cleric, druid, and wizard classes, right?

28. - Top - End - #28

Yes, his entire "spell list" can only come from wizard, druid and cleric.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes, his entire "spell list" can only come from wizard, druid and cleric.
    That's what I figured; well, no eldritch blast gattling gun...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Looks really great. I created Alchemist and Gadgeteer classes too but they weren't working as well as I think this will work. I erred too much on the side of making them weaker never realizing how powerful some of the 5e classes are (I'm looking at you druid).

One question though. What level does an Artificer learn their first two discoveries? I know they learn 2 more at 10 and 17 but I wasn't sure when they learn their first two as it doesn't look like it's on the chart. I assumed it was 2nd level when they get their innovation points but I wasn't sure.

Thanks.