New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Xenotheurgy: Far Realms magic system

Twas intended to be 2d6/5d6. Thanks for catching that, my friend. *tips hat*
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

I was waiting for Insidious Pact. You are a gentle(wo)man and a scholar.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup. I'm looking forward to basically... everything. More Murmurs is always totally awesome, and when you get around to making everything nice and neat I'll be even happier xD

So yay! Go Roc!

-Edit:

After playing for some time as a Xeno I've come to notice something. Disturbances don't really ever seem to... come up. You have so many of them at a time that describing them all becomes, well, a chore. It's just an idea, but you might want to limit a Xeno to one disturbance with a slightly more noticable effect or something. For the sake of keeping things, well, simple.

Just an idea, is all.
    Last edited by Matar; 2011-02-05 at 11:15 PM.
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Matar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can understand what you mean about disturbances and it's only fair that I propose the original design philosophy and my view on the issue so that it is there for you to judge. To put it simply, disturbances were made to serve as simple "switches" between the settings of normal and surrealness.
    That said, the degree of surrealness (the precise number of active disturbances) isn't the thing to focus on in descriptions but rather the very existence or lack of any active disturbances. If you want to fit in and look perfectly normal, a xenotheurge has to keep all of their disturbances suppressed (which becomes more mentally taxing as you gain more of them). Disturbances therefore represent the increasing difficulty that true xenotheurges have trying to fitting in.
    If taking the time to describe Disturbances ends up being a chore, it is in no way a bad thing to simply turn on/off your disturbances more or less as a collective unit. I chose not to do this as a) I thought it added a little more frosting to this flavorful (madness) cake and b)I wanted to embrace minor forms of surrealness not so easily attributed to meaningful mechanical benefits.

While I might be able to tack on mechanical benefits for having disturbances, there are a couple of problems with this:
    1. First of all, disturbances at this point in time are completely equal (which is extremely rare in DnD) due to their lacks of mechanics. If I put additional mechanics onto these guys, some number cruncher would inevitably come along and realize that auras of happiness are strictly superior to slight raises in the temperature (or something like that), an issue that I sought to avoid.
    2. Right now, the slight Will save penalty for suppressed disturbances is "evened out" by the social stigma attached to causing the world around you to bend and break. If I gave mechanical incentives for people to use their disturbances, I'd be doubly punishing people for trying to hide them.
    3. I would have to come up with a system of mechanical benefits to attach to disturbances and I am a lazy, lazy person.
    4. Seeing as the benefits of murmurs already seem to deliver minor bonuses/abilities and true xenotheurgists already get random skill boosts from their never the same class feature, I can't think of what type of benefits disturbances would grant that wouldn't seem somehow redundant.
    5. Creating a system of mechanics for disturbances would make this somewhat complicated class even more so.
    6. While i can see the logic in being more willing to remember your disturbances if they provide a benefit, keep in mind what I said above. Right now, it's possible to basically toggle between "normal" and "wierd" mode as the precise benefits of your disturbances don't matter. If I gave them mechanical benefits, you'd lose this simple option and would have to keep track of whether each of your thirteen disturbances was active or inactive at any given time.

Then, again, it's quite possible that I have misunderstood what you were suggesting. If this is the case, feel free to let me know.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2011-02-05 at 11:53 PM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I don't think Disturbances should have a mechanic or anything. I meant it more like... make there Disturbance bigger, but make it so you have fewer -of- them. Because describing all of them can be quite a pain.

Let me try to be more clear.

Right now it's a bunch of tiny effects that only become really noticeable when you have alot of them. I was thinking that each one could be something a bit bigger, and just have less of them to cut down on the bookwork.

Like, right now a disturbance would be that, like, no ones reflection blinks or something. This only becomes noticeable when you have a few other Disturbances.

What I'm suggesting is something like... one that turns all fingerprints and natural cracks in the ground and walls into spirals. Far more noticeable, but in order to make up for it you have less of them. This cuts back on all the bookwork and keeps the whole "surreal" feel.

Again, just an idea. We could see what others think. I just thought it would help with all the book keeping and would actually show up in the games more, is all.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmmm... *strokes chin*

What if we let players assign a disturbance to each murmur (as we're doing with incursions) as they possess an equal number of them anyhow and simply have a disturbance appear automatically for 1 hour after using a breach of that disturbance's murmur. That way, you still have lots of them and the distribution need not be messed with but you'll never need to worry about more than 4 at a single time (pre-epic, anyhow) and using breaches within a community becomes more troublesome?

Still too complex? Probably... I'll see if someone else can think of something.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like the idea of tying each disturbance to a murmur but I also really like being able to turn them on or off at will to set the mood.
    Here's my proposal on the subject: Why not split the difference? Have it so that the player decides weather or not to suppress the murmur and have them tied to the active murmurs that way some control is retained and you can make every one feel like there being watched whenever they're around you but if you don't want geometry getting shattered every where you go you're not taking some huge penalty to suppress everything.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Epsilon Rose, you just gave me the most wondrous idea ever. Why not turn the suppression of active disturbances into a third form of distortion? That way, fast/powerful breaches can't be hidden and hidden breaches stress out the mind using mechanics already established.

This might work. I just need to get some larger disturbances on the table.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Abomination of Nature is nothing short of magnificent.

That said, you made a mistake in "Infuse with the Unnatural" it says it gives the supernatural template, which doesn't exist. The mention to the True Strike ability does make sure some of us know that it actually refers to the Pseudonatural template.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

10. - Top - End - #310

Glad to have helped realms. I'm not quite sure I can see what you have planed but I can't wait to see it.

On a side note I feel it should be pointed out that as things stand a character can have their own theme music and dramatic wind whenever they want. I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it certainly makes me happy
    Last edited by Epsilon Rose; 2011-02-06 at 11:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a question about Exchange with the Ether. Does it sound balanced to all of you? I mean, at level ten you could sacrifice 20 HP to gain a +10 to AC and your saving throws. Sure, you'd have to empower it and gain a few Warp Points from that, but the bonuses just seem too good to pass up. Especially seeing as you can heal the damage right afterwards.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think it might be more balanced if you can't heal the damage until the Breach wears off and can only improve one save at a time (Or two if you empower it).

Dunno, just a thought.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

it's so awesome , but so so so maddening

I love it.
    A wall was here. Now it is dust.

A tower rose here. Now it is fallen.

An army fought here. Now it is dead.

Chances are, a wizard did it.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was reading through this again and I noticed the multiclass penalty. Since it now exists prc:s for this, you might want to include something like
    'multiclassing into a class that continues to advance the Xenotheurg's murmur progression does not cause a will save penalty'.

Just a random thought.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Matar: You were right about exchange with the aether. That... wasn't my best work. Thankfully, it has now been changed to something less broken-ish.

drakir_nosslin: Actually, I need to give that a bit of thought. If I can't think of a cleaner way to word it (murmur progression sounds kind of odd to me for some reason), I'll go with that all the way.

For now, though, the other murmur that I had requests for awhile back.

Path of Entropy
    Spoiler
    Show

Battered by Entropy
    Path of Entropy 1
    Range: Close (25 ft.+5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One object
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (object)

Channeling entropic powers through a nearby object, you cause it to warp, weaken, dissolve, and age.

If the target of this breach fails its saving throw, it takes 1d4 damage/2 Xenotheurgy levels (maximum 5d4), ignoring toughness. Furthermore, the object’s hardness is reduced by half of the damage dealt in this way. This hardness-reducing effect does not stack with itself even if a single object is targeted multiple times.
    Empowerment
    Range: Medium (100 ft.+10 ft./level)
    Target: Up to one object/level
    Any object that has its toughness reduced to 0 or its hit points reduced below half of its maximum by this breach must make an additional Fortitude save or instantly break.
    Target multiple objects and objects with 0 toughness or damaged below half hit points must make saving throw or break.

Visions of Emptiness
    Path of Entropy 1 [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
    Target: One living creature
    Duration: Instantaneous and 1 round.
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

You impart scenes of the end times to come directly into the mind of your opponent, cracking apart their very psyche. Maybe now they’ll stop fighting… or breathing

If the target fails their saving throw, they take 1d4 damage + 1d4 damage/4 xenotheurgy levels and are stunned for 1 round. Creatures with more HD than twice your xenotheurgy level are immune to this breach.
    Empowerment
    Target: Up to one living creature + one living creature/3 xenotheurgy levels
    Duration: Instantaneous and 1 round and 10 minutes
    A creature who fails their saving throw is shaken for 10 minutes afterwards and can’t stabilize naturally during that time.

Unravel Dweomer
    Path of Entropy 2

In an oddly elegant acts of destruction, you act break apart the metaphysical bonds that keep magic in place.

This breach functions as the dispel magic spell except that it can’t be used to counter spells. You add your xenotheurgy level to the dispel check.
    Empowerment
    Range: Long (400 ft.+40 ft/level)
    Items suppressed by this breach remain suppressed for 1d4 minutes rather than rounds. When using an area dispel, the area affected is doubled. When you successfully use a targeted dispel, the original caster of the effect, if a spellcaster, loses one spell slot of the highest spell level that they currently have available (maximum 5th level).

Sanctuary Outside
    Path of Entropy 2 (Teleportation)
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
    Saving Throw: None

You allow your body to collapse into your link to the far realms, keeping you safe within its endless reaches for a while.

Through this breach, you teleport into a small pocket within the far realms. Within this refuge, you can’t be found, damaged, or targeted by any source (even if it reaches across planes of existence. Durations active on your person don’t pass by while held within the far realms and time spent in the far realms does not count as time spent resting, studying, praying, or so forth. You may take no action other than to dismiss this breach. When the breach ends or is dismissed, you return in the nearest space to where you left that is capable of holding you.
    Empowerment
    Target: You plus up to eight willing creatures.
    Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
    Effects that normally block dimensional movement and/or teleportation effects do not function against this breach.

Destroyed by Entropy
    Path of Entropy 3
    Target: One or more unattended objects
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (object)

You assault the objects of your ire with a forceful blow of entropic energies, hopefully destroying them entirely.

You may target up to one small unattended object per xenotheurgy level to be targeted by this breach. You may select a medium object in place of 2 small ones, a large object in place of 4 small ones, a huge object in place of 8 small ones, a gargantuan object in place of 16 small ones, and a colossal object in place of 32 small ones. Each object that fails its saving throw is destroyed instantly. An object that succeeds on its saving throw is immune to this breach for 24 hours when cast by you.
    Empowerment
    Range: Long (400 ft.+40 ft./level)
    Target: One or more objects and/or constructs
    You may destroy up to two small objects per xenotheurgy level rather than merely one. In addition, you may select constructs and attended items as objects of the proper size category.

Touch of Ages
    Path of Entropy 3
    Range: Touch
    Target: Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid Touched
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

Within the far realms, all times and all rates of time exist simultaneously. You introduce your target to a far more rapid time frame.

A target who fails their saving throw is aged by one age category, reaching the minimum age for reaching that category. Venerable creatures affected by this spell age to dust, effectively having died of old age. Creatures younger than adults age to adults and take a permanent –2 penalty to mental ability scores. Penalties to physical ability scores occur normally but bonuses to mental ability scores do not occur. No creature can be affected by this breach more than once per 24 hour period.
    Empowerment
    Target: Living creature touched
    Only creatures with the age categories of adulthood, middle age, old, and venerable may be affected by this breach. You may age the target by up to two age categories, chosen at the time when you use the breach.

Airless Void
    Path of Entropy 4
    Area: 60 ft.-radius emanation, centered on a point in space.
    Duration: 1 minute/level

In the end, there will be nothing but the void; empty, featureless, and handy for asphyxiating foes. You decide to demonstrate this final, lesser-known fact.

Within the area of this breach all air in the environment is destroyed and more is prevented from entering. Creatures who require air to live must start holding their breath or start suffocating. Furthermore, no sound of any sort can be created in the area or pass into it, as if in the area of a silence effect.
    Empowerment
    Saving Throw: None and Reflex partial
    Air is now allowed to enter the area of this breach, where it is instantly destroyed, creating an endless vacuum and quickly clearing areas with limited supplies of air. All creatures within 20 feet of the voice must make a reflex save each round or be pulled 1d4 x 5 feet towards it.

Entropic Backlash
    Path of Entropy 4
    Duration: 10 minutes/level
    Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (objects)

You surround yourself with a thin layer of entropic energies, ready to consume anything that strikes you.

Any manufactured weapon that strikes you takes one point of damage/level (or half with a Fortitude save), ignoring all hardness of the weapon.
    Empowerment
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Whenever the target is hit by a melee natural weapon, its owner takes 1d4 damage/level (or half with a Fortitude save). Creatures grappling the target take an equal amount of damage each round.

All Things Must End
    Path of Entropy 5

Regardless of it’s other possible uses, the most common use of entropy is to unravel matter. Perhaps that’s because it’s so fun.

This breach functions as the disintegrate spell.
    Empowerment
    Area: Line extending up to 100 ft. + 10 ft./level
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates and Fortitude partial (object)
    All objects and creature in the path of this breach are damaged equally (though a creature may negate all damage with a Reflex save). Furthermore, a creature or object that succeeds on its fortitude save still takes 1d4 damage/level.

Unravel the Supernatural
    Path of Entropy 5
    Target/Area: One creature or a 10 ft.-radius burst

With enough effort, anything can be made to die. Even the most fundamental threads of magic can be made to scream and pass away. In fact, it’s rather easy.

When using this breach, you must select either a single creature or a an area to dispel. In all situations, you make xenotheurgy level checks against a DC of 10 + the HD of the creature who created the supernatural effect. If a supernatural effect is not created by a creature, the DC to dispel it is 20.
    Area Dispel: You make a separate xenotheurgy level check against each supernatural ability within the area.
    Targeted Dispel: You make a separate xenotheurgy level check against each supernatural ability that the target possesses.
    In either situation, a supernatural ability with a duration (such as the activated abilities of some vestiges) is dispelled altogether with a successful check while those that are active constantly (such as a paladin’s immunity to disease) are suppressed for 1d4 rounds.
    Empowerment
    Range: Long (400 ft+40 ft./level)
    Target/Area: One creature/3 levels or a 30 ft.-radius burst
    You gain an extra +5 bonus to your xenotheurgy level checks and constantly active supernatural abilities are suppressed for 1d4 minutes.
    Saving Throw:

Expelled from Existence
    Path of Entropy 6
    Target: One Creature
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial

You perform the unthinkable as you tear open a portal to the far realms next to your target. As the world desperately fights to close the rift, the target is sucked towards it by a savage vacuum that only they can feel

If the target fails their will save, they are transported into the far realms.
    Even if they succeed, the target still takes 10d6 damage as the forces trying to trap them take their toll on the creature’s body.
    Empowerment
    Area: 30-foot cone, centered on one creature
    The portal you create appears at the base of the cone (or as near to the base as it can) and affects all creatures within the area.

Hide Beyond Eternity
    Path of Entropy 6 (Teleportation)
    Duration: See text

Opening up a rift in the unknowable, you find refuge in the most dangerous of spaces. You fold the amoebic sea upon itself, sequestering you safely from all forms of harm.

By using this breach, you vanish from the world into a small, sequestered pocket of the far realms where they are (mostly) safe. Time spent within this space doesn’t count as time spent without air, food, water, or sleep. Likewise, you don’t age while in this space and can’t heal naturally. You retain a general idea of the passage of time but may take no actions in this space other than to end this breach and you can’t contact the sane multiverse. No effects may target you while you are here, even if they normally extend across planes of existence. When this breach is ended, you appear in the nearest open space to the one you were in when you first used it.
    Empowerment
    Target: You + up to one creature/5 levels
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    While sequestered away, targets of this breach can take purely mental actions. Furthermore, all creatures hidden in this way can continue to perceive the world as if they were still in their previously occupied squares.

Note: This last one looks a wee bit lackluster. Any ideas?

Just 2 more to go and then I can finally take care of the other work.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2011-02-21 at 07:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315

The empowerment of All Things Must End confuses me.
    Specificly:
    Range: 0 ft.
    Area: Line extending up to 100 ft. + 10 ft./level

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah, I had temporarily forgotten how to to line effects. Even now that I've changed it, however, I have the suspicion that it doesn't do what it was intended (forming a line away from the xenotheurgist). Any ideas how I can accomplish this?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

For the last one. I love being able to teleport myself to the Far-Realms, but it doesn't scream "EVERYTHING WILL DIE", unlike the rest of the Breach.

Maybe it can let you teleport yourself to the Far-Realms in order to "speak" with the powers that be on the best way to kill someone. This could either let you bypass an immunity that a target might have for one Breach (perhaps three if it's empowered?)

I dunno, I just like the idea of teleporting to the Far-Realms in order to find out how to use it's powers to kill someone with something they shouldn't even be hurt by.

"So Glarghblaktaffff, I wanna kill something with fire. But it's made -out of fire-. How am do."

"BLUUUUURGH."

"Aha! Thank you Glarghblaktaffff! Man, you're just the best friend ever."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

I kind of like it, actually; it supplies a nice panic button, and you are pretty damn scary with it...

I can see an Afflicted or Blessed Xenotheurge Psion using Path of Entropy and an Empowered Hide Beyond Eternity. It makes me **** bricks in fear, man.

Why? You can effect them, they can't effect you. Have fun, bitches.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

19. - Top - End - #319

Realms, I made a Xenotheurgy-based PrC. Do you mind if I post it here (on these forums, not in this thread where it would just clutter up your good work). I don't know the general policy on piggybacking off of someone else's homebrew, so I figured I should ask. It's a sleep themed xenotheurge who brings the Far Realms into her dreams, and her nightmares into reality.

20. - Top - End - #320

I have to say I like most of this murmur but I have to agree that "Hide Beyond Eternity" seems a bit lack luster. I think part of this is because at it's mostly just a longer version of "Sanctuary Outside" that you can see out of if it's empowered.

I have two replacement suggestions:
    1. Dwelling Beyond Eternity
      The basic idea for this one is that the Xenotheurge creates a stable area in the far realms where he can set up a base that would basically function like a small demi-plane; where he can rest and store his stuff. While there his murmers shouldn't decrease in level (and might in fact increase up-to sixth lv)
      Mechanically this could work in a couple of ways: a) the normal version transports the Xenotheurg and some friends and the empowered version actually creates the area or b)either version can create or transfer but the empowered version allows for the ability to exit somewhere else, see the originating plane or perform a more efficient or stable transfer (or some combination there of).
      Either way they should probably be limited to a single (or key stat mod) demi-plane(s) at a time.
    2. Battle Field Beyond Eternity
      This version would result in the Xenotheurg and a foe being brought to the Far Realms for a limited time to fight it out. While in the Far Realms the enemy would take the various penalties associated with being there while the Xenotheurg (or perhaps any Xenotheurg) either receives bonuses or is unaffected. The empowered version would allow for multiple targets and some sort of friend selection so allies can be shielded while enemies are left at the mercy of their surroundings.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, RoC, can I use Xenotheurgy as part of a dual-progression PrC?

Erudition and Xenotheurgy FTW!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon Rose View Post
    I have to say I like most of this murmur but I have to agree that "Hide Beyond Eternity" seems a bit lack luster. I think part of this is because at it's mostly just a longer version of "Sanctuary Outside" that you can see out of if it's empowered.

I have two replacement suggestions:
    1. Dwelling Beyond Eternity
      The basic idea for this one is that the Xenotheurge creates a stable area in the far realms where he can set up a base that would basically function like a small demi-plane; where he can rest and store his stuff. While there his murmers shouldn't decrease in level (and might in fact increase up-to sixth lv)
      Mechanically this could work in a couple of ways: a) the normal version transports the Xenotheurg and some friends and the empowered version actually creates the area or b)either version can create or transfer but the empowered version allows for the ability to exit somewhere else, see the originating plane or perform a more efficient or stable transfer (or some combination there of).
      Either way they should probably be limited to a single (or key stat mod) demi-plane(s) at a time.
    2. Battle Field Beyond Eternity
      This version would result in the Xenotheurg and a foe being brought to the Far Realms for a limited time to fight it out. While in the Far Realms the enemy would take the various penalties associated with being there while the Xenotheurg (or perhaps any Xenotheurg) either receives bonuses or is unaffected. The empowered version would allow for multiple targets and some sort of friend selection so allies can be shielded while enemies are left at the mercy of their surroundings.
    The first option is already covered by one of the sixth level breaches in Abomination of Nature, Nature's Last Defense.

Battlefield risks being just not that great an option compared to Expelled From Reality (why send then there and go along when you can just send then there and be done with it?).

My main beef with that breach is that it is mostly a moderately improved version of Sanctuary Outside, it has better duration when used normally... And is borderline broken on a Psion when used Empowered. As commented earlier. Doesn't help that a 1 level dip in True Xenotheurge is all you need to pick it up, since xenotheurgy scales with character level, not class level.

Perhaps... A better option would be to get something else entirely. Maybe undo the effects of entropy on oneself and others (you have been entropy-ing stuff around you for 5 breach levels now. Maybe you can destroy destruction itself!).

Maybe drain all the entropy in the surroundings unto yourself (healing living beings and restoring damaged objects) and using the taken entropy to empower yourself into an avatar of pure devastation to destroy it all again.

Maybe just mimic Implosion but with some twist. Implosion is pretty cool. Neverwinter Nights also has a pretty sweet variation of Implosion, creates an AoE ring of absolute destruction that... Destroys everything inside. Yeah, that didn't really need explaining.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wait... what?

You guys might want to read the empowered breach's effects one more time. It allows you to sense the world as if still in that square. You still aren't actually in said square and so, even though you can use mental actions, you can't go blasting enemies around you via psionics. The window into the world is so you can tell when its safe and the ability to take mental actions was to allow limited buffs (such as through your breaches, which require mental actions to activate).

Then again, maybe I'm just missing something here. Maybe the entire "scry and die" routine became a lot more literal when I had my back turned.

So far, the entropizing entropy looks to be an interesting option... I'll have to sit on this for a bit.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Been playing a game at low levels with a Xeno that adds his Charisma to his saves, and I noticed this.

The saves can get waaaaay too high. Maybe it should only add half of the warp point total to the Breach DC? Having a DC 26 ability at level three is just a bit crazy. My DM agrees with me here.

Also, entrancing presence is a bit rigged as it's worded right now. You should state that anyone taking a threating action on the enthralled breaks the Breach. A level one power that lets you position yourself as you damn well please is strong enough I think.
    Last edited by Matar; 2011-03-26 at 05:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Colossus in the Playground

Said DM. I regularly have encounters a few levels above the party wrecked by this power.

Situation: there's a surprise or ambush of some kind. This power is used. The players take five rounds to position themselves, then the encounter progresses. Usually, people are pushed off roofs, or the squishy people killed effortlessly.

In every fight so far, no one could make their saves, except on a 20.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the main issue is with CHA Xeno's gaining too many warp points far too fast. It just makes there DC's too high too quickly, resulting in insane DC's.

What do you think about CHA and INT Xeno's gaining warp points at the same rate, but gaining a different type of bonus depending on what stat they go? Maybe like, an int based Xeno can take 20 on a knowledge check at the cost of raising a Murmur by one level and a Cha one can... do... something.

But you see the basic idea. I'm not sure if this would fix the issue, but it might.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi! I just made a completely unasked for monster as a present.

Happy tricks day, people!

Half-There
    Medium Aberration (Shapechanger, Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice 6d8+6 (33 HP)
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Initiative: +1
    Armor Class 16; touch 12; flat-footed 14
    (+2 Dex, +4 Natural Armor)
    Base Attack/Grapple +4/+4
    Attack Slam +4 (1d6+4, 20/x2)
    Full-Attack Slam +4 (1d6+4, 20/x2)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Xenotheurgy, Spell-like Abilities
    Special Qualities Transformation of the Flesh, Pain Heals Me, Utter Madness
    Saves Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 19
    Skills
    Feats Insane Defiance (b), Divine Defiance (b), Improved Toughness, Sanity Forsaken, Unnatural Will
    Environment The Far Realm
    Organization Solitary, Appearance (1d4 first round, 1d4 second round)
    Challenge Rating 6
    Treasure ? gold; ? gems; ? art; ? magical items
    Alignment ???
    Advancement by class levels; True Xenotheurge
    Level Adjustment -

Before you appears what seems to be a human being that was almost killed by some wild animal, with ribbons of flesh hanging off in places... until it turns its eyes on you. You see that sanity has never had any sort of residence inside those hollow orbs. Fearing for your life, you draw a sword, and strike, to notice your blade pass through the creature without slowing down, and without harming the monster...

A Half-There is a strange being from the Far Realm that seems to migrate from plane to plane on a personal whim. They seem to only congregate in a given place once every great while, but while they are there, they tend to slaughter entire villages for the shear fun of it, and then turn around and help the survivors. Like most Far Realms creatures, they are insane, utterly, completely, and incurably.

A Half-There is about 6 feet tall and weighs 150 lbs
    Combat
    Half-Theres follow a very shifting battle plan, shifting to Unpresent Form, Unliving Body, and Uncaring Mind and back whenever the situation dictates.

Spell Like Abilities: CL 10 Plane Shift 1/day

Xenotheurgy:
    A Half-There can use Xenotheurgy as a True Xenotheurge of 7th level, with the following murmurs available for use:
    Endless Evolution (Active) [Beyond the Stars]
    Fading Whispers [Divinity's Demise]
    Half-Heard Secrets [Warped Magic]
    Road to Nowhere (Active) [Fractured World]
    Space Between Stars (Active) [Foreboding Landscape]
    Waking Dream [Forgotten Moralities]

Transformation of the Flesh (Ex): A Half-There, as its name indicates, is not wholely within the material realm. As such, it can reflexively pull itself out of existence (as understood by normal creatures), thus gaining certain benefits. As a move action, a Half-There can add or remove any of the following three traits to itself, up to 3 traits in effect:
    -Unpresent Form: The Half-There draws its substance out off of the material plane; it gains the Incorporeal subtype, thus losing its strength score. In addition, it gains a touch attack that deals 1 point of Wisdom Damage, 1 point of Wisdom Drain, and 1 Point of Wisdom Burn, will save DC 17 negates. This replaces its slam attack.
    -Uncaring Mind: The Half-There becomes Mindless, losing its Intelligence score; however, in this state, the Half-There is still capable of using breaches instinctively, and automatically passes its save while using said breaches, without gaining more Warp Points.
    -Unliving Body: The Half-There loses its constitution score, gaining (insert benefits of lacking a constitution score here), and is treated as if it were a dead body that was incapable fo being raised or animated for the purpose of arbitrating the effects of spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects. In addition, the fast healing granted by Pain Heals Me decreases by 1 every round while in this state, and the Half-There has an amount of nonlethal damage afterwards equal to the Fast Healing it has at the end of this state.

Pain Heals Me (Ex): A Half-There is capable of sheering its own existence solely so that it may heal itself. As long as the Half-There is not using Unliving Body, it has Fast Healing equal to the amount of non-lethal damage that it has taken, which does not affect or heal the nonlethal damage it has taken.

Utter Madness (Su)
    : A Half-There substitutes their Charisma for any ability score lost through use of their Transformation of the Flesh ability.

28. - Top - End - #328

Quote Originally Posted by Matar View Post
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say the main issue is with CHA Xeno's gaining too many warp points far too fast. It just makes there DC's too high too quickly, resulting in insane DC's.

What do you think about CHA and INT Xeno's gaining warp points at the same rate, but gaining a different type of bonus depending on what stat they go? Maybe like, an int based Xeno can take 20 on a knowledge check at the cost of raising a Murmur by one level and a Cha one can... do... something.

But you see the basic idea. I'm not sure if this would fix the issue, but it might.
    Standard action social skills with a small bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Hi! I just made a completely unasked for monster as a present.

Happy tricks day, people!

Half-There
    Medium Aberration (Shapechanger, Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice 6d8+6 (33 HP)
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Initiative: +1
    Armor Class 16; touch 12; flat-footed 14
    (+2 Dex, +4 Natural Armor)
    Base Attack/Grapple +4/+4
    Attack Slam +4 (1d6+4, 20/x2)
    Full-Attack Slam +4 (1d6+4, 20/x2)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Xenotheurgy, Spell-like Abilities
    Special Qualities Transformation of the Flesh, Pain Heals Me, Utter Madness
    Saves Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 19
    Skills
    Feats Insane Defiance (b), Divine Defiance (b), Improved Toughness, Sanity Forsaken, Unnatural Will
    Environment The Far Realm
    Organization Solitary, Appearance (1d4 first round, 1d4 second round)
    Challenge Rating 6
    Treasure ? gold; ? gems; ? art; ? magical items
    Alignment ???
    Advancement by class levels; True Xenotheurge
    Level Adjustment -

Before you appears what seems to be a human being that was almost killed by some wild animal, with ribbons of flesh hanging off in places... until it turns its eyes on you. You see that sanity has never had any sort of residence inside those hollow orbs. Fearing for your life, you draw a sword, and strike, to notice your blade pass through the creature without slowing down, and without harming the monster...

A Half-There is a strange being from the Far Realm that seems to migrate from plane to plane on a personal whim. They seem to only congregate in a given place once every great while, but while they are there, they tend to slaughter entire villages for the shear fun of it, and then turn around and help the survivors. Like most Far Realms creatures, they are insane, utterly, completely, and incurably.

A Half-There is about 6 feet tall and weighs 150 lbs
    Combat
    Half-Theres follow a very shifting battle plan, shifting to Unpresent Form, Unliving Body, and Uncaring Mind and back whenever the situation dictates.

Spell Like Abilities: CL 10 Plane Shift 1/day

Xenotheurgy:
    A Half-There can use Xenotheurgy as a True Xenotheurge of 7th level, with the following murmurs available for use:
    Endless Evolution (Active) [Beyond the Stars]
    Fading Whispers [Divinity's Demise]
    Half-Heard Secrets [Warped Magic]
    Road to Nowhere (Active) [Fractured World]
    Space Between Stars (Active) [Foreboding Landscape]
    Waking Dream [Forgotten Moralities]

Transformation of the Flesh (Ex): A Half-There, as its name indicates, is not wholely within the material realm. As such, it can reflexively pull itself out of existence (as understood by normal creatures), thus gaining certain benefits. As a move action, a Half-There can add or remove any of the following three traits to itself, up to 3 traits in effect:
    -Unpresent Form: The Half-There draws its substance out off of the material plane; it gains the Incorporeal subtype, thus losing its strength score. In addition, it gains a touch attack that deals 1 point of Wisdom Damage, 1 point of Wisdom Drain, and 1 Point of Wisdom Burn, will save DC 17 negates. This replaces its slam attack.
    -Uncaring Mind: The Half-There becomes Mindless, losing its Intelligence score; however, in this state, the Half-There is still capable of using breaches instinctively, and automatically passes its save while using said breaches, without gaining more Warp Points.
    -Unliving Body: The Half-There loses its constitution score, gaining (insert benefits of lacking a constitution score here), and is treated as if it were a dead body that was incapable fo being raised or animated for the purpose of arbitrating the effects of spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects. In addition, the fast healing granted by Pain Heals Me decreases by 1 every round while in this state, and the Half-There has an amount of nonlethal damage afterwards equal to the Fast Healing it has at the end of this state.

Pain Heals Me (Ex): A Half-There is capable of sheering its own existence solely so that it may heal itself. As long as the Half-There is not using Unliving Body, it has Fast Healing equal to the amount of non-lethal damage that it has taken, which does not affect or heal the nonlethal damage it has taken.

Utter Madness (Su)
    : A Half-There substitutes their Charisma for any ability score lost through use of their Transformation of the Flesh ability.
    I like the flavor of this. Especially the part about them gleefully slaughtering a village than helping the survivors.
    One issue with Transformation of the flesh. As it's written it can have up to three of it's abilities active at a time, but it only has three abilities and very little reason to turn any of them off.
    Also, while I love the picture of one of these guys running up to a wall and repeatedly bashing their head into it for some fast healing while the pc's stand there in confusion I'm not sure it's very likely to actually take non-lethal damage unless it does it it self or starts with some.
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Any suggestions as to penalties for each given form? They lose Fast Healing from Unliving Body, but I'm thinking of making it a little more severe...

And yes, self inflicted pain was in the plan.

30. - Top - End - #330

Why not just say they can only have one up at a time?
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?