New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default OMG - what to be?? (and what I've decided to be)

Starting a new campaign next week. DM is converting Curse of the Azure Bonds to 5e. Starting at level 5. Standard PHB point buy for stats. Only races that would be commonly found around Cormyr in the Forgotten Realms. In a different campaign I'm currently playing a ranged Fighter 1/Rogue 6 so I'd like to be something more melee oriented. The problem is? I'm completely drawing blanks on what to make. I had an idea earlier and sought advice on a mobile/whip wielding/booming blade/sneak attack build but that's rather feat heavy and doesn't really seem to hit its stride until much later than level 5. I wouldn't mind something that takes advantage of action economy and movement. Gish builds are ok too though I would like something that can take a hit or two but not looking to be the party tank. For the moment it looks like maybe 4 players and 1 of them is a halfling monk.

Any suggestions? (he says hopefully)

Thanks!
    Last edited by imtodd; 2017-12-07 at 03:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: OMG - what to be??

Variant Human Wolf Totem Barbarian. Let that Monk have Advantage on all of his/her attacks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

For Booming Blade and a whip, you want Spell Sniper so you can use it with reach. But other than that, it's good. Personally, I'd recommend a High Elf Arcane Trickster if you plan to go that way.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Straight swashbuckler rogue? Could be fun, rather simple too. Take sentinel and strike at important targets.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Devil

Straight Barbarian Ancestral Guardian. Shield Master for Prone for the party gank, and/or later Sentinel.

Take Find Familiar and pump your intelligence or Charisma, and you can pretent to be not-Barbarian.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Blow everyone's mind and play a Vuman Champion Fighter Sage with Actor and Deception. Be the party smart ass, "Yeah, I know about that Arcana (or History)." And then you can mimic their voice to mock them when people get all huffy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A Rogue/Battlemaster with Tavern Brawler and specialized in grappling.

Refer to yourself as Kung Fury and make lots of 80s references.

8. - Top - End - #8

Goblin

1/2 Elf (Drow?) or Drow Hexblade Warlock who got their patron from Myth Drannor?

Actually yea go Half Drow (play as a full drow maybe) from the Myth Drannor area who while searching around found a powerful artifact but cant retrieve it yet. So its empowering you to help you get stronger so you can.
    Last edited by Callin; 2017-12-07 at 02:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OMG - what to be?? (and what I've decided to be)

Ok, so here's what I think I've settled on. More than happy to take suggestions on how to round it out.

vHuman - spell sniper for ASI
    8/16/15/8/8/16
    Hexblade 1 / Rogue 4

Wearing breastplate + shield = 19 AC?
    Wielding whip

Booming blade + spell sniper + whip = sneak attacks at 10' with extra BB damage

Considering mobile feat for Rogue 4 to get extra movement to be able to run into and out of range.

I've never played a Warlock before so I'm unsure of spells. I'm guessing I'd want to add another level of Warlock at some point to get invocations.

Also, I'd consider a different race and take the spell sniper with my Rogue 4 ASI as well.
    Last edited by imtodd; 2017-12-07 at 04:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by opaopajr View Post
    Blow everyone's mind and play a Vuman Champion Fighter Sage with Actor and Deception. Be the party smart ass, "Yeah, I know about that Arcana (or History)." And then you can mimic their voice to mock them when people get all huffy.
    Heh. Honestly, I might keep that one in my back pocket for a one-shot or something.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    Heh. Honestly, I might keep that one in my back pocket for a one-shot or something.
    With decent INT and CHA the comedy writes itself, doesn't it?

I just love the extra languages part. "Did that fighter just cuss me out in Elven?"

If it took another feat later, I'd recommend Ritual Caster. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, we can figure this out without you, Mr. Wizard." Ritual cast Detect Magic, Identify, Comprehend Languages, etc...

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by imtodd View Post
    Ok, so here's what I think I've settled on. More than happy to take suggestions on how to round it out.

vHuman - spell sniper for ASI
    8/16/15/8/8/16
    Hexblade 1 / Rogue 4

Wearing breastplate + shield = 19 AC?
    Wielding whip

Booming blade + spell sniper + whip = sneak attacks at 10' with extra BB damage

Considering mobile feat for Rogue 4 to get extra movement to be able to run into and out of range.

I've never played a Warlock before so I'm unsure of spells. I'm guessing I'd want to add another level of Warlock at some point to get invocations.

Also, I'd consider a different race and take the spell sniper with my Rogue 4 ASI as well.
    Start with hex 2, and have the devilsight/darkness. Then your v humanvhas best decision in party.

Hexblade 2, eldritch knight 7, x rogue. This can get you the darkness/devilsight combo. The attack after you attack with bb. And all the rogue goodies. The split is often used with eb/crossbow, but would easily work for melee.
    Last edited by Khrysaes; 2017-12-07 at 06:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

GnomeWizardGuy

If XGTE is up for grabs I'd go with a Wood Elf Gloom Stalker Ranger 5 that multi-classes into a Rogue (Arcane Trickster). I am not sure if wood elves are useable in your setting however.

The character is invisible to darkvision, as such if an enemy is relying on darkvision to see you, you are technically invisible and have advantage on all attacks.

With +2 range weapon attacks from Archery fighting style taking the Sharpshooter feat so both your attacks can be made at +10 damage is a no brainer.

The real kicker is when you hit Arcane Trickster you dominate indoors and outdoors (expertise in stealth+pass without trace), what happens is since you can hide as a bonus action you can use outdoor terrain to hide and snuff out lights with control flames indoors (it has only a somatic component and is a cantrip which means it's silent).

If you make it to level 9 your next feat allows for Elven Accuracy (and since you are a wood elf you can start with 17 dex which will bump it up to 18). Now all your attacks made at advantage while in the dark attack with 3 dice taking the highest (making advantage twice as good).

The build is already online since you are level 5 and only gets better and better as you continually advance Arcane Trickster levels, eventually getting access to exceedingly high sneak attack dice, uncanny dodge, and more slots to use your Ranger spells with.

You have 16 wisdom from point buy and wood elf bonuses and can specialize in perception and stealth combined with pass without trace to make yourself the ultimate scout.

The caveat is that your into score will be rather low, which makes your wizard spells have crappy hit and damage rolls but a large amount of low level wizard spells do not have saves and your gained spell slots are still useful.