New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malack Funeral

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Daemon

Default Malack Funeral

You may have killed Durkon and had great, sinister plans for the western continent, but to me you will always be Durkon's Cleric friend.

Rest in eternal peace

And no jokes on Malack already having a funeral.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Malack Funeral

At least he had a coffin picked out already.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

You know, the Giant revealed earlier today that he invented the Malack character just as a way to get Dukron vampirized.

In retrospect, that was a good clue that with that job accomplished, Malack wasn't needed anymore.

Still, I'm sad that Malack is gone. I was really looking forward to reading about the relationship between Malack and the un-enthralled Durkon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    You know, the Giant revealed earlier today that he invented the Malack character just as a way to get Dukron vampirized.

In retrospect, that was a good clue that with that job accomplished, Malack wasn't needed anymore.

Still, I'm sad that Malack is gone. I was really looking forward to reading about the relationship between Malack and the un-enthralled Durkon.
    I second this. Malack was a rather deep villain; interesting and subtle. I would not think of him as just a device to vamp Durkon with the level of detail put into developing him.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post

When did he say that?

6. - Top - End - #6

He posted it here:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Malack was created for the purpose of turning Durkon into a vampire! There was no possible scenario where you would be reading a Malack vs. Durkon fight scene that didn't end with Durkon getting vamped.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzorrin View Post
    I second this. Malack was a rather deep villain; interesting and subtle. I would not think of him as just a device to vamp Durkon with the level of detail put into developing him.
    Well, sure: Rich Burlew's general skill with characterization means that few characters truly end up as "narrative devices" even if that's what they "technically" are, as indeed seems to be the case with Malack.

I shall now quote Roy's obit for another member of the cast:
    "...He was a good NPC."
    (Not good-good, of course, being Evil and all.)
    I think I just failed a Spot check.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Quorothorn View Post
    Well, sure: Rich Burlew's general skill with characterization means that few characters truly end up as "narrative devices" even if that's what they "technically" are, as indeed seems to be the case with Malack.
    Yes, agreed.

Even so, I think the conflict and drama inherent in Malack's character made him a standout.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-07-28 at 11:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    At least he had a coffin picked out already.
    Too soon...
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

10. - Top - End - #10
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzorrin View Post
    Well, I take that as a compliment.
    But I never said he was "just" a device to vamp Durkon. I said that was the initial need that caused me to create the character. Once I had the character, I developed him as much as any other. In the same way as you can say that I initially created Redcloak so Xykon would have someone to talk to in cutaway scenes. Doesn't really have much to do with who he ended up being, though.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

11. - Top - End - #11

Well, I take that as a compliment.
    But I never said he was "just" a device to vamp Durkon. I said that was the initial need that caused me to create the character. Once I had the character, I developed him as much as any other. In the same way as you can say that I initially created Redcloak so Xykon would have someone to talk to in cutaway scenes. Doesn't really have much to do with who he ended up being, though.
    This is quite fair. Malack was made into a fantastic character no matter his original reason for creation.

I did not mean to imply that Malack was no more than a narrative device. Only that it seemed to me, based on your post, that his primary narrative purpose had been served.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-07-28 at 11:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Oh no! Now we will never know if Malack had legs or not!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

He went out exactly as I expected him to, but that doesn't mean I like it. He's probably my favorite villain so far, and all he ever really did was vamp Durkon. I'd love to have a backstory told in print, but I'm not hanging any hopes on that door. Haven't wished for a character not to have died this much since Wash.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2013-07-29 at 12:14 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    He went out exactly as I expected him to, but that doesn't mean I like it. He's probably my favorite villain so far, and all he ever really did was vamp Durkon. I'd love to have a backstory told in print, but I'm not hanging any hopes on that door. Haven't wished for a character not to have died this much since Wash.
    Team Tarquin/Linear Guild prequel book, anyone?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I think you say that cause you haven't seen a Xykon Is A BadAss scene in a little while. With a capital b AND a .

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Team Tarquin/Linear Guild prequel book, anyone?
    You have my sword...
    At least now I can get back to enjoying my glass of elven wine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.
    Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley! Ring, ring, ring goes the bell! Git away from me, ye daft fool!
    *sigh*

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bluepaw View Post
    You have my sword...
    And my bow...
    Due to mental stuff in my head I find it hard to understand normal human behaviour.
    If I do something wrong PM me what is wrong. And do not be subtle, I need a kick in the pants sometimes to realize Im a jerk.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordChaos13 View Post
    And my bow...
    AND MY AXE!
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

19. - Top - End - #19

edit: ninja'd, but the picture is funny.
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-07-29 at 12:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

And how. That's a good way of putting it.

I dislike Nale already, but this scene actually made me sad -- Malack was intriguing and honorable enough to take up root in my heart. But the disturbing death sequence in particular -- especially perpetrated by Nale! -- really caught me off guard. I hope we see more of Malack, even if its only an afterlife reunion with Tarquin.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    AND MY AXE!
    And my GP.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

I like Malack more than I like Nale. Why couldn't he have smushed Nale?

Even though, Nale did prove that he isn't just a pretty face. He planned this one meticulously.
    Last edited by Charity322; 2013-07-29 at 01:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nale did a pretty good job of re-earning my respect today.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Somehow I expect his first funeral had more people mourning him than his second will have. Doubting many in OotSworld are saddened by this turn of events.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Well you know what they say...

Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

One questions to those who know themselves better in the D&D-World: Isn't Malack, after being destroyed in sunshine, able to come back through his coffin? Could be that I mix up stuff though - every system handles vampires a bit different...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fridolin View Post
    One questions to those who know themselves better in the D&D-World: Isn't Malack, after being destroyed in sunshine, able to come back through his coffin? Could be that I mix up stuff though - every system handles vampires a bit different...
    That only applies if they are reduced to 0 HP by conventional means. Death by sunlight or running water is final. A wooden stake to the heart is indefinite--they are instantly revived once it's pulled out.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2013-07-29 at 03:08 AM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Somehow I expect his first funeral had more people mourning him than his second will have. Doubting many in OotSworld are saddened by this turn of events.
    I bet Tarqin will orchestrate a state funeral for him. The entire Empire of Blood will mourn the loss of their High Priest.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

29. - Top - End - #29

I think Malack is a high priest of Nergal -- not necessarily of the whole EoB. He is a "minister" if I'm not mistaken. Hard to say what that entails, exactly, though it seems important.

I agree that it would make sense for Tarquin to orchestrate a funeral for him, unless emergencies occur which prevent him from doing so. Tarquin's reaction will be quite telling, actually; I've been curious whether he has much emotional attachment to Malack or not for a long time.

I wonder whether Tarquin would try to have Malack raised? I doubt it, somehow, and given Malack's speech about how he wouldn't want to be returned from unlife to life, I don't think his spirit would agree to come back if he did. (I admit that I'm not at all clear on how all the issues of personal identity, memory, life, unlife and metaphysics would interact in this instance.)
    Last edited by Bird; 2013-07-29 at 03:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

BURN! BURN YOU DAMNED LACKEY OF A COWARDLY GOD! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

No greater justice could there have been than getting taken out by a chump like Nale!

May Durkon's newfound freedom give him the ability to summon your soul to mock it heartily.

Damn you for making me weep a webcomic you black robed waste of no-breath
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16