New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Home 11

1. - Top - End - #571
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Home 11

The Cornucopia

Sticks leads Alice Q into the middle-class downtown of Inside, where the cyborg maintains a small general store. Only open when he feels like having customers, the Cornucopia is a small, unassuming place. The sign above the double-doors is flanked on either side by the stylized image of a horn-shaped weave basket, stuffed with plentiful food of all kinds.

The tall cyborg guides her into the dusty shop, where shelves lined with various preserved goods and dried fruits sit idle. Beyond them, there are a variety of things - small personal firearms, antiques, Inside souvenirs, and various Magtok-related merchandise.

Their footsteps break an almost ancient silence, as though Sticks hasn't had business in years. The moment they enter, a panel on the floor clicks, and a strange horn above the entrance blares proudly. The room springs to life - ramshackle gears and pulleys grind into motion along the walls, lighting tiny magical fires inside tiny glass lamps. Little clockwork robots - tiny, plump, featureless spheres, no bigger than one's fist - spill off of one shelf, unfolding legs to scurry about restlessly. Toys for children, perhaps, designed to draw attention to themselves.

Sticks steps forward while the little automatons scramble to get out of his way. He surveys the store with a smile. "Would you like a drink? Some more water, maybe?"
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-04-18 at 02:45 AM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

2. - Top - End - #572
    Orc in the Playground

The Cornucopia

Miss Q looks around with an expression of wonder. Her eyes go wide as the intricate gear system whirs into life, lighting the room. She has evidently never seen anything like this. Her mouth opens into an O as the tiny robots pour out, and she watches intently as they scuttle across the floor. After a moment, she begins to laugh happily at their antics, seeming almost childlike in her amazement.
    "This place is fantastic, Mister Sticks! How did you get all of these things?" At the offer of a drink, she nods her head. "Some water, if it's no trouble." She watches the robots with glee, showing none of the reticence of before. The absence of large numbers of people seems to make her feel more at ease.
    Last edited by Sneaky Weasel; 2012-04-18 at 06:17 AM.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #573

The Cornucopia

The little metallic creatures trundle about, scurrying over Miss Q's feet and toppling each-other playfully. The lights lining the walls flicker as if alive, dancing and writhing in their glass prisons. A metal bird, twittering tinnily, sits in a cage above the counter. It's eyes glow white with soulfire. When Sticks reaches up to open the cage, the steel creature flutters out upon velvety wings, swooping around Miss Q and alighting upon a nearby shelf. It quirks it's head, hopping about skittishly as if unnerved by the newcomer.

"I made them," Sticks explains, a little proud, and a little shy. Even when he has time to open the store, it's rare that he gets someone so fascinated by his little contraptions. "I'm a bit of a tinkerer, I suppose. It's a hobby."

The tall creature steps around the L-shaped store counter and presses a button. A moment later, a tiny wheeled refrigerator comes rolling out of the back of the store. It clinks over to Alice and pops open, revealing several bottles of cold water. "Something to eat, while we talk?"
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-04-18 at 12:56 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

4. - Top - End - #574
    Orc in the Playground

The Cornucopia

Alice smiles at the little machines, hands clasped behind her back. She gasps as the mechanical bird flies by her, examining it with delight. She resists the urge to go over to it, content with watching from a distance.
    She turns to Sticks with an astonished expression when he tells her their origin. "You made them? That's incredible! These creations are simply amazing. I can't begin to imagine the effort that went into making them." She goes back to watching the bird, quite taken with it in particular. At the arrival of the mobile fridge, Miss Q gives a little laugh, taking one of the water bottles. She shakes her head at the offer of something to eat.
    "No thank you, Mister Sticks. I don't really eat food."
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #575

The Cornucopia

"Thank you. They're just... toys. Little pets and things. But I like them," Sticks says with a small, self-conscious smile. He seems to notice her particular fascination with Bolts. The cyborg makes a clucking noise with his tongue and the bird hurries over to him loyally. Bolts flaps his little felt wings and alights upon Sticks' outstretched arm.

He offers the flying automaton to Alice. "Here. You can hold him, if you like. He won't bite."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-04-18 at 11:08 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

6. - Top - End - #576
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ex-LANTERN HQ

Riv and co. are momentarily taken aback as they step into the rec room and realize it's already occupied, surprise that quick turns to anger. "Ooh, I think I've got a better question. WHO THE **** ARE YOU?! This place's s'posed ta be abandoned!" Four ominously humming gauss rifles are pointed Jack's way, just to emphasis that he might want to answer quickly.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Ex-LANTERN HQ
    "My name is Jack Baxterofski. I am a doctor/scientist, and this is is my place of residence." Jack says. "And if I may say so, that is fascinating technology you are wielding."
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

8. - Top - End - #578
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dave and Clarissa's New House]

Unholy mother of the son of the second cousin of the nephew of the friend of the aunt of the grandmother of the creator of the unhallowed spork! That thing is disgusting! And ugh! It... Euch! There are zero total ways that the English language can express in full how absolutely and nauseatingly sickening that varmint is! Clarissa attempts to move over to the reanimated rat remains and gently scoop up in her cupped hands, doing her best to peacefully coax it in. The expression on her face would suggest that she feels sorry for the creature rather than horrified by it. Oh gods. Clarissa is one of those monsters who would take in strays from any genus there is out there!

"Aww! You poor dear!"

Clarissa attempts to lightly pet the withered, broken husk of an unkept rat.

"You must have been alone without friends for a very, very long time. I know precisely what that feels like."

"You are a sentry of something around here. That's what all this password nonsense is about."

With no small amount of mental compulsion, Clarissa enunciates her next phrase so that the rat will be able to perceive and interpret it with ease.

"Your master is dead. He decreed that I would replace him. Tell me what you know."

This may not work out in Clarissa's favor, seeing as she just locked herself in a most potentially hazardous predicament. The mental compulsion isn't tuned to resonate all that much with nonsapient parties either. Suffice to say, Dave probably won't be able to end the thing until Clarissa has squeezed as much info as she can out of it and figures out a way to do it properly so as to speed its soul up to rodent heaven to be reunited with the rest of its family!

Isn't it funny that Clarissa treats some animals better than she does most humans?

9. - Top - End - #579
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    The Cornucopia

"Thank you. They're just... toys. Little pets and things. But I like them," Sticks says with a small, self-conscious smile. He seems to notice her particular fascination with Bolts. The cyborg makes a clucking noise with his tongue and the bird hurries over to him loyally. Bolts flaps his little felt wings and alights upon Sticks' outstretched arm.

He offers the flying automaton to Alice. "Here. You can hold him, if you like. He won't bite."
    The Cornucopia

Alice takes the bird carefully, allowing it to perch on her right hand. She smiles at it, softly stroking it with her other hand.
    "They're more works of art then toys, I think. I've never seen anything like them." She turns her head back and forth, examining the complexity that went into Bolt's design. "Amazing," she breaths.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #580

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    The Cornucopia

Alice takes the bird carefully, allowing it to perch on her right hand. She smiles at it, softly stroking it with her other hand.
    "They're more works of art then toys, I think. I've never seen anything like them." She turns her head back and forth, examining the complexity that went into Bolt's design. "Amazing," she breaths.
    The Cornucopia

She'll find that, aside from it's velvety wings and jointed legs, the bird is covered in tiny metal plates. Almost like square scales, the way they overlap. It's what allows the bird to move so smoothly. Probably what let's it feel things, too. Some magical circuit.

Speaking of feeling, the bird tweets happily as it's stroked. Several feathers poke out from a ridge on top of it's metal head, and they quiver as if to show that Bolts is pleased.

Sticks, meanwhile, is overjoyed by her opinion. Art? He's never had them called art before. Afraid he'll say something foolish in reply, Sticks decides to change the subject.

"Uh, here. Come and sit." He gestures toward a small coffee table in the corner. The tall man stalks over to pull out a chair for Miss Q, sticking to his manners, and then moves to seat himself. "Now, about your 'curse'..."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #581
    Orc in the Playground

Alice sits down, moving slowly so as not to disturb the mechanical bird. At the mention of her curse, her happy expression fades.
    "Yes. I suppose it would be best if you saw for yourself." She carefully pulls away the glove covering her left hand. She grimaces faintly as she does so. Underneath the glove she is wearing a second one, made out of see-through plastic. The reason for this is immediately apparent. Her arm is covered in a slick layer of blood. At first it seems that there is simply no skin from the elbow down, but on second glace one can ascertain that the entire arm is somehow made out of blood. There must be some sorcery involved for the arm to maintain it's shape and not collapse.
    Alice holds her arm stiffly in front of her, and she looks at Sticks with a melancholy expression. "It's not as bad as it looks..."
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #582

The Cornucopia

Sticks eyes slowly get wider and wider at the macabre spectacle. His expression is almost comical. However, rather than disgust or apprehension, his face twists in fascination. "I've never seen a thing like it..." For a moment, he almost seems to forget the woman that the arm is attached to. He reaches out with both hands, needle-fingers probing like surgical instruments.

Before he touches the plastic, however, Sticks does not forget his manners. He glances at Miss Q curiously, eyes wide, and asks, "May I?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

13. - Top - End - #583
    Orc in the Playground

The Cornucopia

Alice nods. "Certainly. That's what I came here for, after all. The arm is numb, so I can't feel a thing." She looks away, the bloody apendage obviously disturbing her. A faint smiles returns to her face as she looks at Bolts, and she keeps her eyes on the bird. It seems to provide a good distraction for her.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584

The Cornucopia

Sticks touches the blood-hand gingerly, despite her assurance that she can't feel anything. He studies it closely, looking deeper than the physical, attempting to get a look at the magic field surrounding this... thing. Perhaps the glamours holding it together will give some clue as to its origins.

"Now how did this happen, exactly?" Sticks narrows his eyes a moment, than glances pointedly at Alice. "Does it... do anything else? Any special properties besides, well, the obvious?"

Bolts, meanwhile, quirks his head to one side and twitters at Alice, attempting to fly up and alight upon her shoulder.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

15. - Top - End - #585
    Orc in the Playground

Sticks can determine some interesting magical properties to the arm. It seems to be regular blood contained by a field of magical energy. The field is semi-porous, allowing a faint amount of blood to seep through. It twitches slightly when he touches it, then remains still. It does appear to be numb, as Alice gives no indication of feeling his hands.
    "I'm afraid I brought this upon myself. My arm was cut off, and I used black magic to heal it. I don't know the proper way to do that, as you can see." Miss Q's voice is a careful monotone. "It does have some side effects, yes. It seems to be slowly draining my blood. I am, in effect, bleeding to death over a long period of time." She smiles as Bolts alights upon her shoulder, and she carefully strokes his head with one finger.
    Last edited by Sneaky Weasel; 2012-04-19 at 04:19 AM.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #586

Cornucopia

"I'm surprised you didn't seek help sooner, Miss Q," Sticks says, relinquishing the blood-construct and frowning slightly. "In any case, I don't think I can repair it. You'll need a new arm." He forks a thumb toward the back of the store. "I've a spare, one of mine, that should fit. At least till I can make something better."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-04-19 at 03:46 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

((I must be losing my mind...I could have sworn I'd posted. >_>))
    [Beach]

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

And Dorota leads the way back to the tables. Trying not to stare too blatantly, where she'll open the packed-up food.
    It's really great that you found this place, she says.
    "Oh, totally! It's so awesome and nice and quiet and perfect for being with somebody at!" Crissy gushes! Trying not to stare as well, and taking a seat with her legs crossed.

Defelent's House

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post

Tracy is in the kitchen with a duster. The place is very clean, but then Tracy doesn't have much to do. "Hello, Tracy. I'd like a bowl of corn flakes, please." Tracy nods and starts sorting out a bowl of cornflakes, putting the duster aside temporarily. She's unfazed by Defelent's underwear; he does this rather regularly.
    Naethalee seems to have secured a robe, and nods to Tracy as she goes to collect her own cereal, which might be Spider-O's. They're like Cheerios except with a spider mascot instead of a bee.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

18. - Top - End - #588
    Orc in the Playground

Defelent's House

Defelent will take his corn flakes, and if Naethalee waits Tracy will prepare a bowl of Spider-Os for her. For herself, Tracy will prepare a bowl of bran flakes and muesli.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

Dorota sits down as well, leaning on one of her arms and taking a cob of popcorn into the other.
    Say, have I told you about those two people I met a while ago? Those I made the amulents for?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

[Beach]

"Hm?" Crissy asks around a mouthful of turducken, before swallowing, dabbing her lips, and shaking her head. "I don't think so?"

[Defelent's]

Naethalee will allow Tracy to prepare the food, and takes a seat.
    To eat!

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

21. - Top - End - #591
    Orc in the Playground

Defelent's House

Yay, eating.

Afterwards Defelent goes upstairs to get changed and put on actual clothes. Unless Naethalee follows, anyway, and judging by the way he tried (and failed) to wink at her, he'd be willing for her to follow.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

Well, I went to the library looking for books that'd help us with teaching Sizewell and I met them. One of them is Cessie Mithar, the same that sits on the Council and the other is Nadas Xar'Cha, a drow. They're both really interested in magical theory. Cessie is building a golem herself, to take care of her children, Dorota explains.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    Cornucopia

"I'm surprised you didn't seek help sooner, Miss Q," Sticks says, relinquishing the blood-construct and frowning slightly. "In any case, I don't think I can repair it. You'll need a new arm." He forks a thumb toward the back of the store. "I've a spare, one of mine, that should fit. At least till I can make something better."
    The Cornucopia

"You mean you can replace it? I didn't think that was possible..." Alice turns back to Sticks, eyes wide. "How can I repay you for this? I don't have much money, but I can find some, if you need that. Or I can do something else, whatever you want. We can work something out, right?" She's rambling a bit, obviously stunned by her good fortune. Then she pauses, troubled. "How can you remove it without me bleeding to death?"
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #594

The Cornucopia

"Oh, I'll only remove the field surrounding all... that. The blood has to go back inside you, of course..." Sticks murmurs to himself, placing a hand over his mouth thoughtfully and frowning. This is going to be a tricky one. Wild magic - uncontrolled, that is, like this spell - is hard to undo. "We can work something out, yes. Later. For now, we should focus on making sure you don't faint. I'll need your help for this."

Sticks starts to stand. He'll need things from his workshop, and a place to do the work. The table where he eats is not it. "Do you still have the spell that was attempted? Written down, maybe?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #595
    Orc in the Playground

The Cornucopia

Alice shakes her head. "I don't even remember how I did it exactly. Can you still help me without it?" She rises, trembling slightly with excitement. She had given up on ever curing herself, but now there is a chance. Hopefully Sticks knows what he is doing.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #596

The Cornucopia

"It'll be a challenge," Sticks explains, striding imperiously off toward the back of the store.

Where what appears to be a blank, unremarkable room is waiting for them. Wood banister all around, robin-egg blue wallpaper... yes, very unremarkable.

With a flick of the wrist, invisible strings are pulled, and a huge section of northern wall folds outwards. Two large metal arms suspend the wall-panel in the air, holding it out horizontally. The inside of the wall appears to actually be a desktop, where mountains of half-finished contraptions, hastily scrawled notes, and various magical tools lie unattended. Sticks heaves most of this aside with a manly grunt, sending it crashing to the floor in a heap.

He snatches up a gastly glass eye from the remaining rubbish, along with several skeletal fingers; the tips of which seem to have been whittled down to points and inscribed with vile sigils. "One moment, Miss Q. You may not want to watch..."

That said, Sticks sets about replacing his own body parts with the evil-looking focii. Popping out his eye like it's nothing, unscrewing his fingers and attaching the bony phalanges. It is a gruesome sight, even if he's half metal.

"You can lay your arm on the table there," Sticks tells her. At his word, a broad table pops out of the floor, clean and waxed.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-04-20 at 02:57 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #597
    Orc in the Playground

The Cornucopia

Alice trails after Sticks, letting Bolts flutter away. As an afterthought, she removes her hat and sets it on the table before going into the back room. Once there, she watches in fascination as the wall opens up and the room transfigures itself. She can't help but wonder what all the tools and mechanical devices are for.
    Her eyes go even wider as Sticks changes his body parts, and she takes a step back. But she doesn't look away, and she seems more intrigued than repulsed.
    Moving over to the table that has sprung out of the floor, she lays her arm across it. She looks wordlessly at Sticks, waiting to see what he does next.
    Last edited by Sneaky Weasel; 2012-04-20 at 02:07 PM.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #598
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ex-LANTERN HQ

Baxterofski? Riv's heard that name before... This is Maxios's kid? "Jegus. Can't tell which is worse, that Maxxy managed to pass on those dumb*** genes of his or that you're less use than he was." Riv shakes his head in disbelief, giving a dismissive snort when Jack enquires about the rifles pointed his way. "Tell ya what. You take us to the cloning labs, an you won't have to see them in action."

Dave and Clarissa's House

The moment Clarissa's hand gets in range the rat makes a grab for it, trying to sink those sharp little claws into her flesh and cling on, although it will attempt no offensive action. Nor will it resist being pulled free from the wreckage for that matter, not that it could if it wished, because it's lower half is, well...

I'd rather not describe it in too much detail, but suffice to say that the creature's lower half is so thoroughly mangled as to make it impossible to identify one broken, extruding bone from another, and that it's quite certain that the poor rodent will never walk again.

It's ears flatten when it's petted, looking more surprised than ever, surprise turning to dim-witted suspicion when she claims it's master is dead. "Wut? No no... Can' be ded... The rat is quite sure that it's master still lives. If he was dead... No. Impossible. But... The mental compulsion prevents the creature from simply calling her a liar and demanding the password once more, makes it want to tell her what it knows. What little it knows. Words still her. Can' be ded or words gone."
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

29. - Top - End - #599

The Cornucopia

Sticks turns to face her fully, the new eye hanging loosely in it's socket. It doesn't appear to be glass at all - or at least, it doesn't move like one. He actually seems to look at her with it, for one thing. He taps himself on the temple, trying to get the damned artifact in place.

"Alright. Let's begin."

Sticks steps over to the table. His metal hand moves to wrap around the blood-construct, holding it tight for the duration of the spell. His free hand - the bony one - hovers over her arm, and his new eye twitches feverishly.

"Now, Alice, you should still have some control over the spell. I need you to concentrate. Attempt, if you can, to draw the blood back in." Sticks doubts this will succeed, but he needs to see the reaction.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    Ex-LANTERN HQ

Baxterofski? Riv's heard that name before... This is Maxios's kid? "Jegus. Can't tell which is worse, that Maxxy managed to pass on those dumb*** genes of his or that you're less use than he was." Riv shakes his head in disbelief, giving a dismissive snort when Jack enquires about the rifles pointed his way. "Tell ya what. You take us to the cloning labs, an you won't have to see them in action."

Dave and Clarissa's House

The moment Clarissa's hand gets in range the rat makes a grab for it, trying to sink those sharp little claws into her flesh and cling on, although it will attempt no offensive action. Nor will it resist being pulled free from the wreckage for that matter, not that it could if it wished, because it's lower half is, well...

I'd rather not describe it in too much detail, but suffice to say that the creature's lower half is so thoroughly mangled as to make it impossible to identify one broken, extruding bone from another, and that it's quite certain that the poor rodent will never walk again.

It's ears flatten when it's petted, looking more surprised than ever, surprise turning to dim-witted suspicion when she claims it's master is dead. "Wut? No no... Can' be ded... The rat is quite sure that it's master still lives. If he was dead... No. Impossible. But... The mental compulsion prevents the creature from simply calling her a liar and demanding the password once more, makes it want to tell her what it knows. What little it knows. Words still her. Can' be ded or words gone."
    Ex-LANTERN HQ
    "There is no cloning lab." Jack says. "My father said the machine was stolen by some mad scientist and his goons."
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine